PDA

View Full Version : Schiano is the Buccaneers Head Coach

lowlife
01-26-2012, 10:04 AM
Per Adam Schefter
Filed to ESPN: Tampa Bay plans to hire Rutgers coach Greg Schiano as the next Buccaneers head coach. Two sides trying to finalize contract.

After the Kelly ********, I won't buy it until he's in the building.

Not too sure what to make of this since I know next to zilch about the guy other than him turning Rutgers respectable and Belichick's recommendation of the guy.

eaglesalltheway
01-26-2012, 10:31 AM
If this turns out true, we are going to have to do a lot of consoling for scotty...

Giantsfan1080
01-26-2012, 10:56 AM
It's official.

ImBrotherCain
01-26-2012, 11:21 AM
I don't like this move... I don't see the young Bucs getting better anytime soon.

BaLLiN
01-26-2012, 11:22 AM
Keep Choppin' :/

Complex
01-26-2012, 11:27 AM
I actually like this move

V.I.P
01-26-2012, 11:49 AM
Noooooo, I wanted Marty!!!!!!!!

bigbluedefense
01-26-2012, 11:57 AM
This is horrible for all of us Rutgers fans. Schiano is a hell of a coach and he'll make a great NFL coach too. I would have loved him as a DC for the Giants, but looks like he'll jump straight to head coaching.

Thunder&Lightning
01-26-2012, 11:58 AM
Love the move. Maybe more because im so relieved that Sherman didnt get the gig.. but he brings a firey no nonsense manatality that is needed right now with guys like Talib. Being successful with a mediocre program says something (no offense to rutgers fans). Have Belichicks blessing doesnt hurt either.

Gotta also give credit to the Bucs front office for keeping both of there lead canidates (Chip too) under raps basically through the entire process.

Sloopy
01-26-2012, 12:37 PM
This sucks for Rutgers fans after the school has brought in one of its better recruiting classes in recent memory.

kBuc5
01-26-2012, 12:41 PM
Love the move. Maybe more because im so relieved that Sherman didnt get the gig.. but he brings a firey no nonsense manatality that is needed right now with guys like Talib. Being successful with a mediocre program says something (no offense to rutgers fans). Have Belichicks blessing doesnt hurt either.

Gotta also give credit to the Bucs front office for keeping both of there lead canidates (Chip too) under raps basically through the entire process.

+1

Think most of us are in the mode "well it could have been worst".
So are we going to see more of the Trent Richardson to the Buc's mocks now?

NorrinRadd12
01-26-2012, 01:49 PM
This is horrible for all of us Rutgers fans. Schiano is a hell of a coach and he'll make a great NFL coach too. I would have loved him as a DC for the Giants, but looks like he'll jump straight to head coaching.

I think it's best for everyone involved. Tampa gets a real good coach. Schiano did a great job reviving Rutgers but the program never took the next step because of the inability to lock down NJ in recruiting. They're probably better off with someone who is going to be fully committed to keeping all that talent in state.

Hurricanes25
01-26-2012, 02:24 PM
I think it's best for everyone involved. Tampa gets a real good coach. Schiano did a great job reviving Rutgers but the program never took the next step because of the inability to lock down NJ in recruiting. They're probably better off with someone who is going to be fully committed to keeping all that talent in state.

Schiano did a GREAT job this year keeping the top guys home. They were about to take the next step. This is terrible for Rutgers. No doubt about it.

DeepThreat
01-26-2012, 02:44 PM
Poor GiantRutgersFan.

nepg
01-26-2012, 03:09 PM
******* terrible hire. Sucks for both Rutgers and Bucs fans. Sucks for all of us because now we'll have to listen to them complain even more than usual.

NY+Giants=NYG
01-26-2012, 03:58 PM
As a Rutgers, fan this is an awful timing. But then again, it's an NFL job in FL. So I can't blame him at all. Good luck to him and let's hope the recruiting class doesn't all run for the hills.

descendency
01-26-2012, 04:20 PM
I think it'll be a great hire. He's a very solid coach with experience coaching guys at that age. I mean, the Bucs are 90% 2nd and 1st year players aren't they?

Might as well bring a college coach in.

Legacy
01-26-2012, 04:23 PM
He's not Mike Sherman. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt just because of that.

He does have a history of winning in Tampa, too. Just ask the USF Bulls fans.

SchizophrenicBatman
01-26-2012, 05:53 PM
I'll be the guy that predicts this is a huge disaster

Schiano has a career .500 with a team that plays in the Big East. I heard the same things about how "awesome" a coach Randy Edsall was at UConn

Belicheck recommending him isn't really a good thing, either

nepg
01-26-2012, 05:56 PM

Schiano has a career .500 with a team that plays in the Big East. I heard the same things about how "awesome" a coach Randy Edsall was at UConn

I have zero confidence in Schiano in the NFL. Zero.

I do think Edsall will put it together, though. That's a tough position he went to. Still not entirely sure why he took the Maryland job... Could have had almost any job he wanted and he kind of made a lateral move to UMD from UConn, imo.

Hurricanes25
01-26-2012, 06:36 PM

Do you realize how awful Rutgers' football program was when he took over? I'm guessing not.

And the Big East wasn't always bad. It's really only been the last few years.

bored of education
01-26-2012, 07:30 PM
Bill Belichick pretty much has fillated Schiano numerous times, so he is doomed to fail.

SchizophrenicBatman
01-26-2012, 08:36 PM
Do you realize how awful Rutgers' football program was when he took over? I'm guessing not.

And the Big East wasn't always bad. It's really only been the last few years.

Can't be any worse than UConn's was when Edsall took over

I'd laugh at anyone who hired him too

TBBucs621
01-26-2012, 08:41 PM
I would love to see ex USF HC Jim Leavitt as our DC

yodabear
01-27-2012, 01:15 AM
Just saying, but see people like Ron "I am a ******* idiot and how do I have a job" Parker asking what was our deal with Fisher....this is why.....Schiano is a good coach, I like the gamble for the Bucs. I am just saying u know what u are getting with him.

49ersfan_87
01-27-2012, 02:50 AM
I would love to see ex USF HC Jim Leavitt as our DC

Leavitt is fantastic and i think he would make a great DC. I'd love to keep him but it's only a matter of time before he moves up in the coaching ranks.

Caddy
01-27-2012, 03:21 AM
Leavitt is fantastic and i think he would make a great DC. I'd love to keep him but it's only a matter of time before he moves up in the coaching ranks.

Butch Davis as DC is picking up a lot of heat, wonder how he'd work out.

Giantsfan1080
01-27-2012, 07:43 AM
The tables have turned if Davis ends up working for Schiano. Also, Schiano and Leavitt don't get along so that would be a pipe dream.

Iamcanadian
01-27-2012, 10:50 AM
I have zero confidence in Schiano in the NFL. Zero.

I wasn't too sure about the move till I heard that Schiano had NFL coaching experience, without that, I think he would have really struggled. Now I think he has a shot to succeed.

I do think Edsall will put it together, though. That's a tough position he went to. Still not entirely sure why he took the Maryland job... Could have had almost any job he wanted and he kind of made a lateral move to UMD from UConn, imo.

Except, he probably doubled his salary and money counts.

tjsunstein
01-27-2012, 02:39 PM
I've thought for quite some time that Butch Davis needed to be in the NFL at some capacity but I never thought that Schiano would be the one bringing him in onto his staff at the next level.

Jughead10
01-27-2012, 02:50 PM
Butch could have his choice of Indy or TB I bet.

bucfan12
01-27-2012, 03:29 PM
Butch could have his choice of Indy or TB I bet.

Butch Davis and Schiano worked together in Miami. I'd say he's a good bet to become our defensive Coordinator.

Jughead10
01-27-2012, 03:34 PM
Butch Davis and Schiano worked together in Miami. I'd say he's a good bet to become our defensive Coordinator.

I get the tie. Butch and Pagano have also worked together more recently as well as at Miami. I'm just saying I think Butch could potentially have a choice.

tjsunstein
01-27-2012, 03:47 PM
I'm sure Butch Davis doesn't lack options.