PDA

View Full Version : If the Giants win, Is Tom Coughlin a HOF coach?

Dallas357
01-26-2012, 03:50 PM
Absolutely. Best back against the wall coach of all time.

NY+Giants=NYG
01-26-2012, 03:56 PM
Herm Edwards and Mark S from espn were talking about this. If he wins, another superbowl, TC is def. a HOFer. He is tied with Tuna in NY in superbowls, and he has no intent of leaving for another job. So he basically doesn't have the adult ADHD like tuna had in job jumping. If TC wins, he is 100% a HOFer especially coaching in NY.

DraftSavant
01-26-2012, 04:01 PM
Not to mention, he did a pretty damn incredible job with an expansion team. He just got overextended in JAX, especially towards the end, where he was handling GM and playcalling duties as well.

Ness
01-26-2012, 04:07 PM
Maybe. He is at least up there with Shanahan and Holmgren if he gets it done. But you then look at guys like Tom Flores or Jimmy Johnson who also has two Super Bowls, and htey hasn't been close to getting in.

DraftSavant
01-26-2012, 04:10 PM
Really, though, can you imagine being a fly on the wall of a coaches meeting for the Parcells Giants in the late 80s/early 90s?

Parcells is the boss, Belichick the DC, Coughlin the WR coach, Crennel the ST coach, and Al Groh the LBs coach.

Ridiculous.

Also, not enough is made over how good Coughlin is at developing quality WRs.

Complex
01-26-2012, 04:11 PM
Jimmy Johnson,Holmgren and Tom Coughlin( if he wins) should be in the HOF, Shanahan is so overrated.

RCAChainGang
01-26-2012, 04:14 PM
No. Just no.

Dallas357
01-26-2012, 04:18 PM
lol remember when people thought jeff fisher was a better coach. You know, with his 6 winning seasons out of 17! that was hilarious

descendency
01-26-2012, 04:23 PM
Herm Edwards and Mark S from espn were talking about this. If he wins, another superbowl, TC is def. a HOFer. He is tied with Tuna in NY in superbowls, and he has no intent of leaving for another job. So he basically doesn't have the adult ADHD like tuna had in job jumping. If TC wins, he is 100% a HOFer especially coaching in NY.

Mr Coughlin might be tied with Mr Parcells for Super Bowls, but Coughlin isn't even in the same class as Parcells. Everyone knows Parcells built multiple teams into powerhouses, before being fired and having someone else basically destroy his work.

I don't really know what constitutes a Hall of Fame coach. My gut says, if the metric is the same as a player, he's not a first ballot HoFer, but he's going to probably get in.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
01-26-2012, 06:47 PM
Coughlin's teams are always very strange. The Giants have played down to their competition in the regular season for a number of years now, but turn it on in the playoffs. This team was one play from sitting at home and Coughlin being fired this year (Tony Romo 4th quarter pass, blocked kick), and now they're in the Super Bowl.

scottyboy
01-26-2012, 06:57 PM
No. Just no.

I love the brilliant arguments and reasons brought up. Really a well thought out post full of sound reasoning and logic

hockey619
01-26-2012, 07:10 PM
Coughlin's teams are always very strange. The Giants have played down to their competition in the regular season for a number of years now, but turn it on in the playoffs. This team was one play from sitting at home and Coughlin being fired this year (Tony Romo 4th quarter pass, blocked kick), and now they're in the Super Bowl.

thats not a coughlin thing, thats a giants in general thing. My grandpa always said they play half a game and watch half a game and you just gotta hope they do enough in their one half to squeak one out. Really, theyve been that way for as long as i can remember, brutally and randomly inconsistent, all the way back to when we had the incredibly evil kerry collins at qb. **** him.

WCH
01-26-2012, 07:37 PM
He's a good coach, but "good" doesn't get you in the Hall of Fame. Here are the coaches who actually are in the HoF:

George Allen 1966-1977
Paul Brown 1946-1962
Guy Chamberlin # 1922-1927
Jimmy Conzelman # 1921-30, 1940-42, 1946-48
Weeb Ewbank 1954-1973
Ray Flaherty # 1936-1949
Joe Gibbs 1981-1992
Sid Gillman 1955-1969, 1971-1974
Bud Grant 1967-1983, 1985
George Halas # 1920-29, 1933-42, 1946-67
Earl (Curly) Lambeau # 1919-1953
Tom Landry 1960-1988
Marv Levy 1978-1982, 1986-1997
Vince Lombardi 1959-1967, 1969
John Madden 1969-1978
Earle (Greasy) Neale 1941-1950
Chuck Noll 1969-1991
Steve Owen # 1930-1953
Don Shula 1963-1995
Hank Stram 1960-1974, 1976-1977
Bill Walsh 1979-1988

That list of HoF coaches is why Coughlin isn't getting in. Until this thread, nobody has ever even considered placing Coughlin in that elite group. The vast majority of HoF coaches have been guys who fundamentally changed the game during their era, which is something that Coughlin hasn't done.

So I sincerely apologize if I sound like a jerk, but RCAChainGang was right in saying: "No. Just no." I look at that list, and I would even go so far as to say "Hell no."

DraftSavant
01-26-2012, 08:06 PM
He's a good coach, but "good" doesn't get you in the Hall of Fame. Here are the coaches who actually are in the HoF:

George Allen 1966-1977
Paul Brown 1946-1962
Guy Chamberlin # 1922-1927
Jimmy Conzelman # 1921-30, 1940-42, 1946-48
Weeb Ewbank 1954-1973
Ray Flaherty # 1936-1949
Joe Gibbs 1981-1992
Sid Gillman 1955-1969, 1971-1974
Bud Grant 1967-1983, 1985
George Halas # 1920-29, 1933-42, 1946-67
Earl (Curly) Lambeau # 1919-1953
Tom Landry 1960-1988
Marv Levy 1978-1982, 1986-1997
Vince Lombardi 1959-1967, 1969
John Madden 1969-1978
Earle (Greasy) Neale 1941-1950
Chuck Noll 1969-1991
Steve Owen # 1930-1953
Don Shula 1963-1995
Hank Stram 1960-1974, 1976-1977
Bill Walsh 1979-1988

That list of HoF coaches is why Coughlin isn't getting in. Until this thread, nobody has ever even considered placing Coughlin in that elite group. The vast majority of HoF coaches have been guys who fundamentally changed the game during their era, which is something that Coughlin hasn't done.

So I sincerely apologize if I sound like a jerk, but RCAChainGang was right in saying: "No. Just no." I look at that list, and I would even go so far as to say "Hell no."

It depends on if you look at Madden as a "coach" or "contributor." Him getting into the HOF as a "coach" really lowered the bar, IMO.

Brent
01-26-2012, 08:12 PM
Holy ****, I didnt realize that Don Shula was an NFL HC for that long. You would NEVER see that nowadays.

Mufasa
01-26-2012, 08:18 PM
No. He's a good coach, but not an all time great. 2 Super Bowls is a giant step, but shouldn't make a hall of fame lock. (Although 3 would be impossible to argue against)

DraftSavant
01-26-2012, 08:24 PM
Holy ****, I didnt realize that Don Shula was an NFL HC for that long. You would NEVER see that nowadays.

Dude coached Johnny Unitas AND Dan Marino. Crazy.

Bengalsrocket
01-26-2012, 09:38 PM
Lightning doesn't strike twice often. If Coughlin lucked into these wins, I need to find out his favorite numbers and buy a lottery ticket.

Bellichick is likely a lock for the HoF, and if we're working under the assumption that the Giants win, then Coughlin will have beat him twice in the biggest game of their lives.

WCH
01-27-2012, 03:10 AM
It's not a matter of luck. Nobody is saying that. Coughlin is a good coach. He's in his second Super Bowl and he coached Jacksonville to the AFC Championship Game in their second year as a franchise.

He's a very good coach, but we're talking about an elite group where being "very good" isn't good enough (unless you're John Madden, which brings us to...)

It depends on if you look at Madden as a "coach" or "contributor." Him getting into the HOF as a "coach" really lowered the bar, IMO.

I personally view him as a contributor, and I agree that him being a "coach" does lower the bar. He was one of the most important personalities in the game, and football wouldn't be as popular without him, but his coaching resume isn't on par with his HoF peers.

At a bare minimum, Tom Coughlin is not getting into the Hall of Fame until quite a few years after Jimmy Johnson gets in, and there's no serious talk of Johnson getting in. As somebody else mentioned, Tom Flores also has two Super Bowl victories, and nobody thinks he's ever getting in.

Rosebud
01-27-2012, 07:26 AM
Not yet, but TC is going to coach until death drags him away, kicking and screaming. So if he can win his second SB and add 5+ years of playoff wins to those SB wins and run with the Jaguars. He can join the list of guys that deserve to get in eventually. Offensively him and Gilbride have crafted a wonderful system if you've got the horses to run it, but he has been too loyal to co-ordinators, got over his head in the last years in Jacksonville and the inconsistencies of the giants will be held against him, although his giants have been more consistent than many giants squads that weren't coached by T, or Parcells.

Edit: sorry for any typoes, typing on my phone.

tjsunstein
01-27-2012, 08:03 AM
I love the brilliant arguments and reasons brought up. Really a well thought out post full of sound reasoning and logic
I get that it's a thread with 'your' head coach as the topic but your post also lacks brilliant arguments and reasoning. Try not to be so sensitive that you wasted a half of a second of your life to read what he said, and maybe just maybe, bring up your perspective. I guess that's a lot less cool than being a dick though.

I'm not justifying his post in the least bit, I think it's post-whoring to be honest but I couldn't ignore the hypocrisy.

Honestly, what's the 'benchmark' to get in to the HOF as a coach? Coughlin has been very good but I wouldn't put him up there with the greatest of all time, which is essentially what the HOF is. Two Super Bowls as a QB would seem to do the trick, but two Super Bowls as a Head Coach seems to be worlds different. I think there's more credit to be given to how this team was built rather than how it was coached.

scottyboy
01-27-2012, 09:07 AM
the fun thing is, I don't think Coughlin's a HOF coach, even with a giants win next sunday. I just think people saying things without justifying them is annoying. it's a pet peeve of mine. you couldn't ignore the "hypocrisy" while I couldn't ignore the...I'm not sure what word to describe it....ignorance maybe? idk, but that's just how I saw it

NY+Giants=NYG
01-27-2012, 09:34 AM
Mr Coughlin might be tied with Mr Parcells for Super Bowls, but Coughlin isn't even in the same class as Parcells. Everyone knows Parcells built multiple teams into powerhouses, before being fired and having someone else basically destroy his work.

I don't really know what constitutes a Hall of Fame coach. My gut says, if the metric is the same as a player, he's not a first ballot HoFer, but he's going to probably get in.

We are talking about a guy who overcame a lot more than Tuna and that reflects the different eras. Parcells can get away with being brutal to players. One example was calling Terry Glenn, "she", lol. He can be a pain in the butt to the media guys and call them out for stupid questions.

Coughlin since day 1 was hated when he was basically less hostile or abrasive than Parcells was. Players disliked that style since they came from Fasshole style country club atmosphere. He had to deal with guys like Shockey, Burress, AND Me-iki all under mining him and the players around the team.

I remember emailing Ralph V one beat writer, and they didn't like him because he made their job harder. Win a superbowl AND everything has changed.

I remember articles saying, coughlin was a bad hire. NO FREE AGENTS will ever come to play for us. Um, we signed Burress, Mckenzie, AP, Rolle, and so on.

It was Coughlin, Reid, Parcells and Gibbs when Coughlin was hired, and I remember reading, Coughlin will be the first to get fired.

If we somehow win this super bowl, he is without a doubt a HOFer and I think Giants fans may like Coughlin more than Parcells. I know I do! I loved the hire to begin with and I like him as a coach. Only negative I disliked was his coordinator hires. Other than that, he is a great, great coach.

hockey619
01-27-2012, 09:56 AM
We are talking about a guy who overcame a lot more than Tuna and that reflects the different eras. Parcells can get away with being brutal to players. One example was calling Terry Glenn, "she", lol. He can be a pain in the butt to the media guys and call them out for stupid questions.

Coughlin since day 1 was hated when he was basically less hostile or abrasive than Parcells was. Players disliked that style since they came from Fasshole style country club atmosphere. He had to deal with guys like Shockey, Burress, AND Me-iki all under mining him and the players around the team.

I remember emailing Ralph V one beat writer, and they didn't like him because he made their job harder. Win a superbowl AND everything has changed.

I remember articles saying, coughlin was a bad hire. NO FREE AGENTS will ever come to play for us. Um, we signed Burress, Mckenzie, AP, Rolle, and so on.

It was Coughlin, Reid, Parcells and Gibbs when Coughlin was hired, and I remember reading, Coughlin will be the first to get fired.

If we somehow win this super bowl, he is without a doubt a HOFer and I think Giants fans may like Coughlin more than Parcells. I know I do! I loved the hire to begin with and I like him as a coach. Only negative I disliked was his coordinator hires. Other than that, he is a great, great coach.

he is not a great great coach. thats quite a stretch imo.

Look at the talent on this team for a second...there are some serious players here all over the O and D, yet we were 9-7? we fell apart to the redskins...twice? great coached teams dont get whacked by a ****** team twice in a possibly super bowl season.

i think hes a solid coach who is getting more credit than he deserves after getting more blame than he deserved before. fewell finally fixed his D f-ups and the team started rolling. The only thing i really think is great about coughlin is that he really has developed WR's pretty well as someone said earlier. not sure how much credit he gets for the rest.

overall, hes a hall of very good coaches with andy reid and maybe holmgren or someone like that but hes not a hall of fame guy the way bellichick is.

Rosebud
01-27-2012, 10:08 AM
he is not a great great coach. thats quite a stretch imo.

Look at the talent on this team for a second...there are some serious players here all over the O and D, yet we were 9-7? we fell apart to the redskins...twice? great coached teams dont get whacked by a ****** team twice in a possibly super bowl season.

i think hes a solid coach who is getting more credit than he deserves after getting more blame than he deserved before. fewell finally fixed his D f-ups and the team started rolling. The only thing i really think is great about coughlin is that he really has developed WR's pretty well as someone said earlier. not sure how much credit he gets for the rest.

overall, hes a hall of very good coaches with andy reid and maybe holmgren or someone like that but hes not a hall of fame guy the way bellichick is.

Coughlin's on a different level than Reid as he's a much better in game coach. He manages his timeouts very well, he has a great record in challenges, his teams have regularly made good halftime adjustments which has lead to many of our late game wins. He's an excellent coach who hasn't put together a hall of fame resume yet, but will soon.

Giantsfan1080
01-27-2012, 10:20 AM
I think Coughlin is a very good coach and definitely above average. I don't view him as a HOF coach though even if he does get that second SB. If he somehow got a third then I'd have to seriously consider it.

Iamcanadian
01-27-2012, 11:07 AM
I think he is well on his way to possibly being a HoF HC but he needs a lot more to his resume before he is anointed. Come back in 5 or 6 years and we'll have the answer.

NorrinRadd12
01-27-2012, 02:40 PM
His career has been similar to George Allen's, who is in the hall of fame. Allen had a better winning percentage but Coughlin would have the Super Bowls. Does Allen making the hall of fame mean they have to put Coughlin in? Maybe.

descendency
01-27-2012, 05:32 PM
My problem with Coughlin is that I don't really feel he's one of the top 3-4 coaches in the NFL during his career. His best years have been recently and if he keeps this up, I might think differently, but I'd put others in front of him and those others aren't hall of fame candidates either.

FUNBUNCHER
01-27-2012, 07:29 PM
Haven't read every post but how many former NFL HCs have won 2 SBs??
It's nearly an automatic for the HOF for a head coach if you win 2, I would think.

Same goes for Eli.

Mufasa
01-27-2012, 07:48 PM
Haven't read every post but how many former NFL HCs have won 2 SBs??
It's nearly an automatic for the HOF for a head coach if you win 2, I would think.

Same goes for Eli.

8 have done it and 5 of them are not in the Hall of Fame, so there goes that theory.

3 is a stone cold lock, 2 isn't.

Rosebud
01-27-2012, 08:09 PM
8 have done it and 5 of them are not in the Hall of Fame, so there goes that theory.

Here's where Coughlin's run to the AFCCG with a Jacksonville team that had just started existing not long before helps him. That's no championship run, but that's the type of performance that's the next best thing. If the giants win next sunday and Coughlin gets the giants to make just one more deep run I think he'll have a great case. 2 superbowls, 2 impressive deep runs, and a strong resume who's major fault is an overabundance of loyalty to less than ideal co-ordinators.

FUNBUNCHER
01-29-2012, 11:24 PM
Which two win SB coaches aren't in the HOF??

Mufasa
01-29-2012, 11:43 PM
Which two win SB coaches aren't in the HOF??

Tom Flores, Jimmy Johnson, Bill Parcells, George Seifert, and Mike Shanahan(although he isn't eligible yet)

WCH
01-30-2012, 05:57 AM
I always forget that Seifert was the HC of the '89 49ers. So a little less than half of the 2-SB coaches aren't likely to get into the HoF, and a quarter of them have approximately a 0% chance of getting in.

Even though I brought up Coughlin's run in Jacksonville, I don't see that helping his HoF case one bit. Carolina also went to the NFCCG the same exact year, under the same exact circumstances, with Dom Capers as the HC. Football historians are going to chalk that up to a generous expansion draft; and the fact that those two teams had the first and last selections in each round of the 1995 NFL Draft, giving them 14 draft picks each, before they ever made any trades.

FUNBUNCHER
01-30-2012, 09:13 AM
IMO Parcells and Jimmy Johnson are HOF locks. SHanahan eventually is going to get in.

So of the eight 2 win SB coaches, that would make five, Shanny would be sixth.

Seifert's candidacy is always going to be hurt by coaching teams put together by Bill Walsh.
And how long was Flores a HC?? I think being the Raiders HC has something to do with the fact that he isn't in.

I think Coughlin's career in Jacksonville will weigh positively in his favor, especially if he gets the NYG's their second Lombardi under his tenure.

NY+Giants=NYG
01-30-2012, 10:40 AM

Except how many played in NY or rather coached? If there is any benefit of playing in the biggest media market, NY, I think this is it. You win here, you are a god. Same with the any sport in fact. Not all media markets are created equal. If you win here you get more attention, and I think that yields more of a chance to get into the HOF.

Also, the eras are different now. This is the free agency era where keeping core players is hard enough. If, a coach or player can win 2 super bowls, that's a hell of an accomplishment in any market. But when you do it here in NY, that's even bigger.

DraftSavant
01-30-2012, 10:48 AM
IMO Parcells and Jimmy Johnson are HOF locks. SHanahan eventually is going to get in.

Seifert's candidacy is always going to be hurt by coaching teams put together by Bill Walsh.
And how long was Flores a HC?? I think being the Raiders HC has something to do with the fact that he isn't in.

I think Coughlin's career in Jacksonville will weigh positively in his favor, especially if he gets the NYG's their second Lombardi under his tenure.

With Oakland, there's always the implicit understanding that the "Head Coach" is usually just the "Offensive Coordinator/Asst Head Coach."

Everyone knows who the Head Coach in Oakland is/was.

Brothgar
01-30-2012, 11:07 AM
With Oakland, there's always the implicit understanding that the "Head Coach" is usually just the "Offensive Coordinator/Asst Head Coach."

Well if you are implying what I think you are implying then Al Davis is controlling the raiders from beyond the grave.

1crazyredskinsfan
01-30-2012, 12:34 PM
i don't think he needs to win to be in the hall of fame,i think he's a hof coach now! i'm a lifelong redskins fan,and i hate the giants,but i give credit where it's due,coughlin is an nfl hall of fame coach now!

Ness
01-30-2012, 03:46 PM

Then John Madden shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame.

Jughead10
01-30-2012, 03:58 PM

I believe John Madden was put in much later, well after his coaching was over. He was put in for his total contributions to the game. That includes coaching, tv, and yes even the video game.

DraftSavant
01-30-2012, 04:07 PM

I believe John Madden was put in much later, well after his coaching was over. He was put in for his total contributions to the game. That includes coaching, tv, and yes even the video game.

Pretty much. I posted this on the first page:

Ness
01-30-2012, 04:37 PM

Maybe. I heard a lot of people always thought he was going to come back to coaching even after he said he would never do it again, which may have delayed his chances.

49ers1984
01-31-2012, 12:06 AM

Jimmy Johnson has only 80 wins and is only 16 games over 500. The 2 Super Bowls are great but you have to look at his whole career.With how Shanahans teams have been doing he is going in the opposite direction of the Hall of Fame.

Dallas357
02-02-2012, 03:33 PM
I always forget that Seifert was the HC of the '89 49ers. So a little less than half of the 2-SB coaches aren't likely to get into the HoF, and a quarter of them have approximately a 0% chance of getting in.

Even though I brought up Coughlin's run in Jacksonville, I don't see that helping his HoF case one bit. Carolina also went to the NFCCG the same exact year, under the same exact circumstances, with Dom Capers as the HC. Football historians are going to chalk that up to a generous expansion draft; and the fact that those two teams had the first and last selections in each round of the 1995 NFL Draft, giving them 14 draft picks each, before they ever made any trades.

lol.
That Jaguar team had a stretch of 38-13 under Coughlin. Hardly one season, and that 96 Jaguar team killed that Panther team.

FUNBUNCHER
02-03-2012, 09:49 AM
Jimmy Johnson has only 80 wins and is only 16 games over 500. The 2 Super Bowls are great but you have to look at his whole career.With how Shanahans teams have been doing he is going in the opposite direction of the Hall of Fame.

Jimmy Johnson is a lock. You can't rationally keep the guy out. I know he's been eligible for a while now, but he won back-to-back SBs with possibly one of the best teams in NFL history that he built almost exclusively through the draft.

And when's the last time the Dolphins were any good??

JJ's Cowboys teams were so dominant in Dallas, Jerruh hired a wishbone college coach to be the next HC after JJ left and even he won a SB.

No HC has won big in D.C. except George Allen and Joe Gibbs. I doubt HOF voters will hold it against Shanahan's record in SF and Denver if he doesn't build a SB contender in the nation's Capitol.

Beating Belichick twice in the SB, a HC who's going to be ranked up there with Lombardi, Chuck Noll and Don Shula when he retires, is going to make Coughlin's 'two' potential SBs look sterling IMO.

49ers1984
02-05-2012, 11:53 AM
Jimmy Johnson is a lock. You can't rationally keep the guy out. I know he's been eligible for a while now, but he won back-to-back SBs with possibly one of the best teams in NFL history that he built almost exclusively through the draft.

And when's the last time the Dolphins were any good??

JJ's Cowboys teams were so dominant in Dallas, Jerruh hired a wishbone college coach to be the next HC after JJ left and even he won a SB.

No HC has won big in D.C. except George Allen and Joe Gibbs. I doubt HOF voters will hold it against Shanahan's record in SF and Denver if he doesn't build a SB contender in the nation's Capitol.

Beating Belichick twice in the SB, a HC who's going to be ranked up there with Lombardi, Chuck Noll and Don Shula when he retires, is going to make Coughlin's 'two' potential SBs look sterling IMO.

Johnson had a lot of HOF talent many coaches could probably win with that team plus he only coached 9 years he does not have enough longevity to make the Hall of Fame. They will hold Shanahans record against him it pretty much shows without a HOF QB he is not that good of a coach.m How many years was Coughlin considered a Hall of Fame coach not many maybe 2 at best.

Dallas357
02-05-2012, 02:01 PM
If shanahan gets in, they need to cancel the entire thing.

WCH
02-05-2012, 09:18 PM
If shanahan gets in, they need to cancel the entire thing.

I think that Shanahan needs to win one without Elway and Davis before he gets serious consideration.

I also think that Jimmy Johnson would be getting some legitimate buzz right now if he were ever going to get serious consideration. He has been out of th league for about 13 years now.

These guys are very good coaches, but it's not the Hall of Very Good.

FUNBUNCHER
02-06-2012, 11:34 AM
Tom Coughlin has more road playoff wins than any HC in NFL history.

Nalej
02-06-2012, 11:36 AM
Tom Coughlin has more road playoff wins than any HC in NFL history.

That's because he's the 9-7 king.
I swear these guys have an actual switch that they turn on when they're elimination.