PDA

View Full Version : NFLN: "Colts will cut their ties to Manning before the scouting combine."

Pages : [1] 2

BeerBaron
01-28-2012, 06:08 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/28/report-decision-on-peyton-mannings-future-made-weeks-ago/
http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/01/28/la-canfora-manning-decision-made-weeks-ago/

It's Jason La Canfora doing the reporting, so take it with a grain of salt for now.

Thoughts if true?

If he's healthy, he should draw attention from the Jets, Redskins, Dolphins, Cardinals, Seahawks...maybe even the 49ers.

It's going to be a story to pay attention to at least.

descendency
01-28-2012, 06:22 PM
If he's healthy, he should draw attention from the Jets, Redskins, Dolphins, Cardinals, Seahawks...maybe even the 49ers.

The 49ers and Redskins have to be the top 2 candidates. Neither has a QB they are going to commit long term to and both have very good teams.

The Jets have a loud mouth coach and a cancerous team. Peyton will have no part of that.

The Cardinals and Seahawks just don't have the all around talent to be major contenders.

The Dolphins are a nice option.

BeerBaron
01-28-2012, 06:25 PM
The Cardinals don't have too bad of defense and you can do a lot worse than Fitzgerald to throw to. If they use some picks to help the o-line I think they could make the playoffs next year with Manning.

And Seattle can just throw money at him.

Brent
01-28-2012, 06:37 PM
I'd be okay with Manning in SF.... IF he is 100% healthy.

Brodeur
01-28-2012, 06:40 PM
The 49ers and Redskins have to be the top 2 candidates. Neither has a QB they are going to commit long term to and both have very good teams.

The Jets have a loud mouth coach and a cancerous team. Peyton will have no part of that.

The Cardinals and Seahawks just don't have the all around talent to be major contenders.

The Seahawks and Cards don't have the all around talent to be major contenders but the Redskins do? Okay then.

descendency
01-28-2012, 06:41 PM

That won't be an option. Manning will have 10 NFL offices outside of his house begging for him to sign the first day of free agency.

He probably won't "know" until training camp.

The Seahawks and Cards don't have the all around talent to be major contenders but the Redskins do? Okay then.

The Skins D is way better than the Cards or Seahawks.

Brodeur
01-28-2012, 06:47 PM

It's about even with the Cards (though I'd give the edge to Arizona), but the Seahawks definitely have a better D.

BeerBaron
01-28-2012, 06:49 PM
The Redskins secondary blows ass. They have the better two outside pass rushers, but that's really the only edge I'd give them over Arizona.

Plus, no Larry Fitzgerald.

And the Cards did well with the last supposedly "past his prime" veteran QB they had.

keylime_5
01-28-2012, 06:51 PM
I would say his worst possible option would probably be to sign with the Browns.

BeerBaron
01-28-2012, 06:53 PM
I would say his worst possible option would probably be to sign with the Browns.

Mike Holmgren would call up Manning who would just laugh at him and hang up the phone.

Bulldogs
01-28-2012, 06:53 PM
If he's healthy, biggest F/A signing of the past ten years? Maybe of all time? He would have an enormous impact on a team like the Redskins/Jets/49ers. Hell, any team with a good D needing a QB immediately becomes a Superbowl candidate.

Splat
01-28-2012, 06:56 PM

I don't care if he is healthy come to KC...

Brodeur
01-28-2012, 06:57 PM
I don't care if he is healthy come to KC...

Don't let nepg see that you want anyone over Cassel.

Splat
01-28-2012, 07:05 PM
Don't let nepg see that you want anyone over Cassel.

I don't care what a Patriots fan thinks.

dan77733
01-28-2012, 07:08 PM
Actually, the Cardinals could be a possibility especially if the rumors of them going after WR DeSean Jackson turn out to be true and they get him and Manning. Manning, Fitzgerald, Jackson and Wells plus a damn good defense. My 49ers will have some serious competition if that happens.

As for my 49ers, I dont want Manning because he's going to demand way too much money and no one knows if/when he'll be healthy plus he's 35 years old. I rather see SF pay Smith $7-$10m a year and use the rest of that money on a WR (D. Jackson, Bowe, V. Jackson, etc.) and a young CB.

My top five teams I think that would go after Manning would be

1) Cowboys

Jerry Jones could possibly make a move to sign Manning just to take a lot of the attention away from the NFC east especially if the Giants beat NE next Sunday. I wouldnt be surprised by this at all. Whether or not they have the cap room for him though remains to be seen.

2) Jets

Ryan would love Manning and he would help them but can you imagine Holmes getting all bitchy at Manning? Oh man, that would be so much fun to watch.

3) Texans

Yeah, they have Schaub but come on, if healthy, Manning would be a huge upgrade and just imagine the Texans possibly winning a SB with Manning.

4) Ravens

Ravens are a veteran team on defense and while Flacco is good, Manning would put them as possible favorites to get to and win next year's SB.

5) Cardinals

They have money, they have Fitzgerald, they have Wells and if they add another receiver to go along with a damn good defense, they could return to the SB.

And while a lot of people think that the 49ers would go after him, I dont see why they would. After all the confidence and everything Harbaugh has shown in Smith, why throw that away especially for a QB who may never even play again. Add in that we have a few top free agents and the money Manning would want and I just dont see it.

And while it only takes one team to sign Manning, I wouldnt be surprised if no team signs him until he passes all health and physical tests and will play on opening day. To me, any team would be taking a huge risk because if he's not healthy enough to play or doesnt play at the same level, that team would be setting themselves back a few years.

No matter what happens, should be interesting and fun to watch.

Ness
01-28-2012, 07:09 PM

The 49ers aren't going after Manning. Harbaugh said he is committed to Alex Smith and they already drafted Colin Kaepernick in the second round. Traded up to get him. The 49ers are the least likely candidate.

And since when do the Redskins have a good team?

vidae
01-28-2012, 07:10 PM
I'd take him on the Chiefs but I still want us to make sure we have someone on the roster who will eventually replace him.

I hate the "plug in veteran QB" approach to that position, but I'd take Peyton..

Brent
01-28-2012, 07:19 PM
The 49ers aren't going after Manning. Harbaugh said he is committed to Alex Smith and they already drafted Colin Kaepernick in the second round. Traded up to get him. The 49ers are the least likely candidate.

devil's advocate: Alex hasnt signed the dotted line just yet.

killxswitch
01-28-2012, 07:25 PM
#1, it's Jason Lacanfora. He gets **** wrong all the time.

#2, if the Colts let him go it'll be in large part because they don't have confidence he will get healthy anytime soon. So he is not going to go to any team and immediately improve them.

NY+Giants=NYG
01-28-2012, 07:59 PM
It all depends on what is the priority for Manning. Money? Stability? Contender? Weather? All of the above? I am very interested in where he lands. Listening to the WFAN Mike F. talks about this daily with the Jets fans that call in. It's an interesting topic.

Grizzlegom
01-28-2012, 08:08 PM
Thoughts if true?

Welcome to Miami.

BradysKnee
01-28-2012, 08:13 PM
I think its pretty evident the Patriots are going to sign him and run the A-11 offense.

Complex
01-28-2012, 08:24 PM

The seahawks roster is so underrated if you think this is true. IDK how the redskins are a top contender besides the money part.

Complex
01-28-2012, 08:27 PM
double post

Iamcanadian
01-28-2012, 08:40 PM
Look, the Colts wouldn't cut him if they thought he was healthy, as this drags on I think more and more that he is about to call it quits, playing again would risk a crippling injury so all the talk about which team will get him seems a long shot to me.
I think he has made up his mind to retire and that is why the Colts are thinking about cutting him.

VernonLawson89
01-28-2012, 08:49 PM
I will jizz my pants if he comes to SF

Ngatachance92
01-28-2012, 08:59 PM
If hes playing next season, hopefully it will be on an NFC team. Get that ************ out of the AFC.

WT01
01-28-2012, 09:08 PM
Look, the Colts wouldn't cut him if they thought he was healthy, as this drags on I think more and more that he is about to call it quits, playing again would risk a crippling injury so all the talk about which team will get him seems a long shot to me.
I think he has made up his mind to retire and that is why the Colts are thinking about cutting him.

Why wouldn't they? No they won't be spending as much in the draft due to the rookie wage scale but if they're going to draft Luck then there's absolutely no reason to keep Manning as well. Not with that contract.

NY+Giants=NYG
01-28-2012, 09:21 PM
I will jizz my pants if he comes to SF

I can see that. Established and up and coming team. In a division that's historically up for grabs. On top of that SF is warm weather, Cards play in a dome, and Rams play in a dome and Seattle can be ok. I can see that as a great fit for Manning.

TitanHope
01-28-2012, 09:34 PM
We're probably going to be watching a physically different Peyton Manning, similar to that we saw before and after when Chad Pennington ruined his arm. Still, even with a downgraded arm, the mental aspect Manning brings would be an upgrade to several teams. Especially if he maintains enough strength to still be as accurate as he is. But because of the nerve endings issue, he'll be mortal, if you will. You'll need the running game and a good defense to support him, because he won't be able to single-handedly win games with his arm anymore, especially towards the end of the season when his arm could be shot.

Either way, I'll be glad to see him out of the division. And if not for Jake Locker and Matt Hasselbeck, I'd be dying to get him in a Titans jersey and playing football back in Tennessee again. Hopefully he finds success elsewhere, and also for Andrew Luck to bust his face off on a turrible Colts team.

WCH
01-28-2012, 09:39 PM
If he's healthy, biggest F/A signing of the past ten years? Maybe of all time?

Due to age, I would go with Reggie White or Primetime as the top FA signings of all time. Prime, in particular, was a "hired gun" who teams brought in when they wanted to try to get over the hump, and it worked a couple of times.

I can't really think of a better signing in the past 10 years than a healthy Peyton Manning, though. Even at his age, if you get two good years out of him then it's a no-brainer.

RagingColt
01-28-2012, 09:42 PM
If the Colts do cut them and he signs with someone else, I would have real doubts that Peyton would make it an entire NFL season. Opposing teams would be aiming for his neck as often as possible. #18 was the reason I became a Colts fan in the first place. We as a team are moving on without him and I think he should just retire. He's got all the $ he ever could have wanted and gas done so much good for the communities of New Orleans, U of Tenn and for Indy. He's a top 10 all time player and a 1st ballot HOFer. I rather Peyton retire for good while he was still in playing at a super high level, 2011, than for him to try and keep going when he's about 80% if that.

Ness
01-28-2012, 10:09 PM
If the Colts do cut them and he signs with someone else, I would have real doubts that Peyton would make it an entire NFL season. Opposing teams would be aiming for his neck as often as possible. #18 was the reason I became a Colts fan in the first place. We as a team are moving on without him and I think he should just retire. He's got all the $ he ever could have wanted and gas done so much good for the communities of New Orleans, U of Tenn and for Indy. He's a top 10 all time player and a 1st ballot HOFer. I rather Peyton retire for good while he was still in playing at a super high level, 2011, than for him to try and keep going when he's about 80% if that.

I would be surprised if teams would intentionally try to aim for his neck. It would be obvious after a while and that is just a devious and dirty thing to do. I'd be surprised if anyone in their right mind would be okay with going after a in injury on a player that could potentially paralyze him. If it's an accident, that is a different story.

If he's healthy, biggest F/A signing of the past ten years? Maybe of all time? He would have an enormous impact on a team like the Redskins/Jets/49ers. Hell, any team with a good D needing a QB immediately becomes a Superbowl candidate.

I'd say Drew Brees trumps that. We didn't know what Brees would become in the future, but even after 2005 if I was dealing with either getting Brees coming off the season he had in San Diego when he wasn't even 30 yet, and Peyton Manning now at his age I'm taking Brees. You can still build around him and have a good run for maybe a decade. The injuries alone I'd still take Brees. He had an elbow injury if I remember correctly? Regardless it wasn't a neck injury.

devil's advocate: Alex hasnt signed the dotted line just yet.

I might take my chances with Matt Flynn even. I can only think of one time where a quarterback around Peyton Manning's age that was essentially a legend for another franchise, went somewhere else and had success. Maybe two times off the time of my head. Brett Favre when he went to the Vikings and Montana when he went to the Chiefs. I guess Cunningham is debatable. Maybe Warren Moon too with the Vikings, and Steve McNair with the Ravens. Regardless, it only works out for a couple of seasons at best. Past-their-prime FA quarterbacks aren't the solution. Just a stop gap, and stop gap approach always seem to fail in my opinion with that position.

And for the folks who want to say "Oh well the old veteran can come aboard and the youngster can learn from him and then take over when the time is right". I don't think that has ever successfully worked in NFL history.

vidae
01-28-2012, 10:17 PM
You'll need the running game and a good defense to support him, because he won't be able to single-handedly win games with his arm anymore, especially towards the end of the season when his arm could be shot.

A running game and good defense? Why, that sounds like the Chiefs!

mightytitan9
01-28-2012, 10:18 PM
I fully expect Peyton to be a Jet, I think they'll want to clean house and improve after the disappointing season they had. Don't forget Reggie Wayne is a FA and the Jets could pursue him to make Peyton happy.

SchizophrenicBatman
01-28-2012, 10:28 PM
I don't see Peyton going to SF. That doesn't seem like something Harbaugh would do imo

I think the best fits are Arizona, New York and Baltimore

Scotty D
01-28-2012, 10:33 PM
It'll never happen but he should go to the Cowboys. I just don't think they will ever win a super bowl with Romo. They can win a lot of regular season games and make it to the playoffs but I don't think he can deliver a super bowl. I'd trade Romo for a 1st rounder + more. Sign Peyton for 2-3 years. Draft a young QB sooner than later.

Peyton is going to be picky. From the obvious teams that need a QB nothing really stands out to me as somewhere he'll want to go.

Ness
01-28-2012, 10:43 PM
I'm guessing it's the Redskins if Manning still wants to play and it's another team. They aren't really tied to a big investment at quarterback like Arizona with Kolb for instance. I guess it could be Seattle too, but apparently Carroll likes Jackson. Or so I heard. I suppose he could go to the Jets too, but I think you give Sanchez another year. Better coaching and better personnel could probably help him out. That guy is talented.

Scotty D
01-28-2012, 10:59 PM
I'm guessing it's the Redskins if Manning still wants to play and it's another team. They aren't really tied to a big investment at quarterback like Arizona with Kolb for instance. I guess it could be Seattle too, but apparently Carroll likes Jackson. Or so I heard. I suppose he could go to the Jets too, but I think you give Sanchez another year. Better coaching and better personnel could probably help him out. That guy is talented.

I do like Peyton going to Baltimore or the Jets but it messes up the long term with Flacco and Sanchez. Would it be worth the risk to give up on them? Flacco is in the last year of his contract. Baltimore's window with that defense may be closing.

asdf1223
01-28-2012, 11:10 PM
If Peyton was ok with being a mentor to a young QB, the Colts would have drafted one already. Or have him along with Luck. Thats why I dont think the 49ers will go after him. Strong head coaching personalities and they have a younger QB in place. Miami or Washington if Shanny is willing to be flexible is more likely.

Ness
01-28-2012, 11:13 PM
I do like Peyton going to Baltimore or the Jets but it messes up the long term with Flacco and Sanchez. Would it be worth the risk to give up on them? Flacco is in the last year of his contract. Baltimore's window with that defense may be closing.

Well...The Ravens didn't lose this year because of their quarterback. I think Flacco has earned himself another contract.

By the way, I wouldn't be surprised if Peyton Manning struggles the next place he goes. 35 year old quarterback with a neck issue, one that hasn't been in football shape in a while, learning a new offense for the first time in his career with new receivers and personnel, outside of a dome potentially...just wouldn't be surprised.

Ultimately, I think he just retires.

Xenos
01-29-2012, 01:18 AM
I'd say Drew Brees trumps that. We didn't know what Brees would become in the future, but even after 2005 if I was dealing with either getting Brees coming off the season he had in San Diego when he wasn't even 30 yet, and Peyton Manning now at his age I'm taking Brees. You can still build around him and have a good run for maybe a decade. The injuries alone I'd still take Brees. He had an elbow injury I remember correctly? Regardless it wasn't a neck injury.

It was more than an elbow injury. It was a potential career ending shoulder injury where an optimistic view would have been a Chad Pennington resurgence (though with an even weaker arm than even before). It truly was a miracle what happened to him afterwards, that he was able to defy the odds and come back even stronger.

Scotty D
01-29-2012, 01:21 AM
Well...The Ravens didn't lose this year because of their quarterback. I think Flacco has earned himself another contract.

By the way, I wouldn't be surprised if Peyton Manning struggles the next place he goes. 35 year old quarterback with a neck issue, one that hasn't been in football shape in a while, learning a new offense for the first time in his career with new receivers and personnel, outside of a dome potentially...just wouldn't be surprised.

Ultimately, I think he just retires.

Say he doesn't retire. Will he have more success than post-Packer Favre?

Ngatachance92
01-29-2012, 01:24 AM
He would probably have less pics...

Of the dick variety.

Ness
01-29-2012, 01:52 AM
Say he doesn't retire. Will he have more success than post-Packer Favre?

I have a feeling it won't work out. Like most of these quarterbacks that have had a great career in one place and try to change teams late in their career. Maybe two good seasons with a franchise if that team is lucky. Still, I don't think it's worth the investment given all the circumstances. Colts are probably going to get a good amount of picks for whoever wants Manning. At least two good ones I'm guessing. Lucky for the Colts.

49erNation85
01-29-2012, 03:16 AM
we need a Manning watch thread asap....

WCH
01-29-2012, 04:32 AM
If this is true, I wonder if it's a situation where the Colts know damn well that he can't pass a physical. Peyton might just not be ready to accept that it's over.

Just speculation, but a lot of players have gone out under that scenario.

ViperVisor
01-29-2012, 06:30 AM
I am guessing he really wouldn't want to play in Eli's division. Can't limit yourself to out of his conference but that would also be what he'd like.

Arizona actually kinda sucked for an 8-8 team. Weak schedule. 2 quality wins at home but from the start where Cam was a couple yards from tieing it up they could never string together a good game for 4 quarters.

Avg win was by 4.25 points.

VAfy-ya
01-29-2012, 08:14 AM
I don't see Peyton going to SF. That doesn't seem like something Harbaugh would do imo

Well Im glad somebody said it. He's not coming anywhere near my Niners. Its not going to happen.

One thing ppl need to realize is that Manning has to go someplace where they can keep him upright. That eliminates teams like the Skins and Cards because their O-Lines are very suspect. I think he's only real viable option is the Jets. And my darkhorse, wait for it.....the Broncos. Denver makes alot of sense. If it turns out he can't make it through a season, you still have Tebow there waiting. It allows Tebow the chance to learn from one of the greatest that ever played. And Denver would be able to utilized to different QBs at any given time. I think their OC(forgets his name) is creative enough to pull it off.

hockey619
01-29-2012, 08:45 AM

And since when do the Redskins have a good team?

are alex smith and CK really going to stop you from pursuing Peyton freaking Manning? really? read that again and think a little. **** no theyre not. hmm gee i can have alex smith for a few years to help raise CK or PEYTON ******* MANNING? yeah no contest.

I think its pretty evident the Patriots are going to sign him and run the A-11 offense.

this would be very cool haha even though they are both too slow to do it haha id love for peyton to retire right into coaching and to go to NE though. him brady and beli breaking film down together...how sick would it be to be in that room?

Why wouldn't they? No they won't be spending as much in the draft due to the rookie wage scale but if they're going to draft Luck then there's absolutely no reason to keep Manning as well. Not with that contract.

cut a healthy peyton? gee idk why wouldnt they cut a healthy peyton....oh because last season he played he carried a putrid colts team to the playoffs? a team so bad that this year they were better (health issues fixed) and were nearly defeated? they wouldnt cut a healthy peyton because hes a monster and you dont want to face that or go into rebuilding mode if he can take you to the playoffs at will.

idc if luck is coming next year, there is no guarentee for success for him especially early with the crap the colts have. manning has already shown he can win with a few hs-level scrubs and some passive one legged blind girls.

awwwww!!! thats so nice of you, doing a dominant QB a favor and taking him in to replace your mediocre one.

oh wait, of ******* course youd take him if hes healthy. as i just said he was coming off one of his best performance carrying a crap team, why wouldnt you want him if healthy? for alex smith? really? do we need a jmike thread and poll for 'who ya got: alex smith or healthy peyton?' come one dude this was a kinda dumb post. of course if peytons healthy you want him, who wouldnt.

That won't be an option. Manning will have 10 NFL offices outside of his house begging for him to sign the first day of free agency.

He probably won't "know" until training camp.

this is an excellent post. everyone will WANT to wait until hes really ready to sign him, but with everyone else pushing to sign him it will make it harder to wait i think and some team (redskins) will rush to make sure they get him.

he basically makes any team a super bowl contender as weve seen him do in the past. but i can see why teams with mediocre QBs might not sign him....eyeroll

killswitch made a good point too. hes only hitting the free agent market if the colts think he wont be healthy enough to start the season/play again. so this is all probably a moot point anyway.

hockey619
01-29-2012, 08:46 AM
Well Im glad somebody said it. He's not coming anywhere near my Niners. Its not going to happen.

One thing ppl need to realize is that Manning has to go someplace where they can keep him upright. That eliminates teams like the Skins and Cards because their O-Lines are very suspect. I think he's only real viable option is the Jets. And my darkhorse, wait for it.....the Broncos. Denver makes alot of sense. If it turns out he can't make it through a season, you still have Tebow there waiting. It allows Tebow the chance to learn from one of the greatest that ever played. And Denver would be able to utilized to different QBs at any given time. I think their OC(forgets his name) is creative enough to pull it off.

im not really sure why hes not going anywhere near the niners unless he meets harbaugh and they dont get along. which i think is highly unlikely.

the broncos is a nice sleeper for sure, but i dont think peyton would want to go there for some reason, i heard some comments he made about tebow and i dont think it would be his first choice. interesting thought though for sure.

hockey619
01-29-2012, 08:48 AM
are alex smith and CK really going to stop you from pursuing Peyton freaking Manning? really? read that again and think a little. **** no theyre not. hmm gee i can have alex smith for a few years to help raise CK or PEYTON ******* MANNING? yeah no contest.

this would be very cool haha even though they are both too slow to do it haha id love for peyton to retire right into coaching and to go to NE though. him brady and beli breaking film down together...how sick would it be to be in that room?

cut a healthy peyton? gee idk why wouldnt they cut a healthy peyton....oh because last season he played he carried a putrid colts team to the playoffs? a team so bad that this year they were better (health issues fixed) and were nearly defeated? they wouldnt cut a healthy peyton because hes a monster and you dont want to face that or go into rebuilding mode if he can take you to the playoffs at will.

idc if luck is coming next year, there is no guarentee for success for him especially early with the crap the colts have. manning has already shown he can win with a few hs-level scrubs and some passive one legged blind girls.

awwwww!!! thats so nice of you, doing a dominant QB a favor and taking him in to replace your mediocre one.

oh wait, of ******* course youd take him if hes healthy. as i just said he was coming off one of his best performance carrying a crap team, why wouldnt you want him if healthy? for alex smith? really? do we need a jmike thread and poll for 'who ya got: alex smith or healthy peyton?' come one dude this was a kinda dumb post. of course if peytons healthy you want him, who wouldnt.

this is an excellent post. everyone will WANT to wait until hes really ready to sign him, but with everyone else pushing to sign him it will make it harder to wait i think and some team (redskins) will rush to make sure they get him.

he basically makes any team a super bowl contender as weve seen him do in the past. but i can see why teams with mediocre QBs might not sign him....eyeroll

killswitch made a good point too. hes only hitting the free agent market if the colts think he wont be healthy enough to start the season/play again. so this is all probably a moot point anyway.

**** the bottom of the page

bigbluedefense
01-29-2012, 09:59 AM
His career is over.

ElectricEye
01-29-2012, 10:26 AM
I can't see the Jets as an option. Their cap situation isn't good and as a whole that team is a mess. There's a lot of turmoil with that team and adding Manning would potentially add to that, even. That's not even getting into Rex Ryan. I'm not going to pretend to think I know everything about who Peyton would want to play for, but everything I think I know about the guy says that Ryan isn't his type of coach.

The Redskins always have to be considered in the mix for a guy like this with their track record and (flawed) philosophy to free agency. Part of me wonders if they'll want to stay away just so they don't have to sacrifice the youth movement.

The Cardinals would be a good fit too, but they already invested significant resources in Kevin Kolb, as people have mentioned.

There's a few other teams...but part of the interest to this story with me is that there isn't any one team that jumps off the page and makes you go "that's perfect". Part of me wonders if Peyton realizes that a little bit and in conjunction with his long term health, does just decide to give it up. It certainly wouldn't be the way I imagine he wants to go out, but sometimes these things happen.

Jvig43
01-29-2012, 10:32 AM
I fully expect Peyton to be a Jet, I think they'll want to clean house and improve after the disappointing season they had. Don't forget Reggie Wayne is a FA and the Jets could pursue him to make Peyton happy.

The Jets don't have close to the cap for Manning, let alone both him and Wayne.

BeerBaron
01-29-2012, 10:34 AM
Let's get our bets in on this now:

1.) He stays with the Colts

2.) He retires

3.) He signs with another team and plays

4.) He signs with another team but isn't healthy enough to play.

I'm still with 3.

bigbluedefense
01-29-2012, 10:38 AM
I'm going with 4.

Matthew Jones
01-29-2012, 10:55 AM
If I were Peyton, I'd retire preemptively in order to avoid being cut to make room for a rookie. Moving on to another team seems like it would diminish his legacy, and I'm concerned about his health.

Nikolas
01-29-2012, 11:23 AM
The Colts almost have to cut Peyton. That $28 Million roster bonus that is due in March is simply too much to pay for a player that might not ever play another down of football, especially when you have the number one pick for Andrew Luck. At some point every franchise QB has to be replaced, and this is a perfect storm for Indy.

What Peyton SHOULD do is retire. He's had a great run, he's got more than enough money, and he can easily transition into either a coach or a sportscaster. Heck, he can get on the next Dancing with the Stars if he wants more TV airtime.

I suspect he'll go the Brett Favre route and try to make it work with another team. The problem is that the Colts are built around Peyton, and going elsewhere he won't have that.

49erNation85
01-29-2012, 11:24 AM
**** it come to sf , we could win 2 super bowls ...

scottyboy
01-29-2012, 11:24 AM
he's not going to be a jet. he'd want to ******* murder rex ryan and would want out instantly. that team is a ******* train wreck.
he'll have a **** ton of suitors, but really outside of the niners, I don't see a contender who'd be in place to take him and not **** everything up.

and niners fans who are like "we haz alex smith and CK, we don't need peyton!!11!!" that's the dumbest thing i have ever heard. screw Alex freaking smith. You can have peyton freaking manning. Or keep Alex around if peyton's not 100% healthy or for insurance. And really, is Alex Smith gonna be a better mentor for CK? Yeah, we don't need Peyton.

If they got Peyton and drafted a legit receiver (ala Sanu or trade up for Floyd etc) they'd be the favorites in the NFC, IMO.

but nah, Alex Smith mother *******

LonghornsLegend
01-29-2012, 11:26 AM
It'll never happen but he should go to the Cowboys. I just don't think they will ever win a super bowl with Romo. They can win a lot of regular season games and make it to the playoffs but I don't think he can deliver a super bowl. I'd trade Romo for a 1st rounder + more. Sign Peyton for 2-3 years. Draft a young QB sooner than later.

Peyton is going to be picky. From the obvious teams that need a QB nothing really stands out to me as somewhere he'll want to go.

Nobody is winning a SB on the Cowboys with our defense as it is. Did you catch the last division game vs the Giants? Romo had us up 13 or 17 points late in that game, but when your trotting out Terrance Newman & Alan Ball your going to get shredded and give up big leads. If we had Peyton it would look just the same, get up big, give up big leads fast.

Let's remember Peyton needed that Colts D to step up to an unbelievable level for him to have playoff success, we aren't even close to that type of defense and we are not getting the same Peyton Manning either.

Romo may not be the greatest QB or one who instills a ton of confidence in winning a SB, but there were numerous games he had this team up multiple scores and the defense just folded. Had we held onto that game the Giants wouldn't have even made the playoffs.

There was no excuses for how badly Newman & Ball played, and those were our primary CB's all year.

edit: Also beyond that, he's not going to play against Eli twice a year and battle him for the division, that's something I am almost positive he wouldn't want to do.

cmarq83
01-29-2012, 12:09 PM
As a football fan I'd really like to see him on the Jets, even though it would hurt the Patriots. Just the storyline of Brady/Belichick vs. Ryan/Manning would be incredible to watch, and would lead to some downright epic battles.

From Manning's perspective even though he probably wouldn't mesh well with a guy like Ryan, nothing could revitalize his career and secure his legacy better than success in NY. All the commercials would come back, and if he could win the Super Bowl with that team, I feel like that would be the lasting image of his career. His SB win with the Colts was with a pretty bleh team, but that Jets team could certainly be a memorable one.

People have brought up the cap situation, but the Jets could make it work. They save $9.5 million by cutting Sanchez, and in 2013 they have very releasable contracts in Scott, Pace, and Holmes. So structuring an option bonus that would pay him close to $20 million annually after a one year prove it deal is possible. Pay him $10 million in year one and give him the possibility of making more if he does well.

Now obviously the guy needs to prove that he's healthy, and the Jets would have to give up Sanchez, but I think he's exactly what the Super Bowl or Bust Jets need, because he's really the only big move they can make, and that team isn't winning a Superbowl anytime soon with the way that roster is constructed.

BeerBaron
01-29-2012, 12:16 PM
The Jets aren't going to cut Sanchez. This much I can tell you. Even if they went after Manning, they'd find a way to keep him. Manning wouldn't be more than a 1-2 year rental player anyway.

H.O.O.D
01-29-2012, 12:17 PM
And Seattle can just throw money at him.

Seattle did spend 2 high picks on the OL last year after taking Okung a year prior. They also brought in Gallery in an attempt to solidify that line.

They went out and got Sidney Rice and Zach Miller to add to it's offensive arsenal.

I think they try and sell Peyton on that and attempt to use the offseason to further bolster the D and add depth everywhere.

Seattle's D was 9th overall. Better than Washington or Arizona.

Seattle went balls to the wall to improve the offense everywhere but QB. They are going to try and go all in and land one of the big 3 at QB, be it RG3, Flynn or Manning.

ATLDirtyBirds
01-29-2012, 12:43 PM
If Indy cuts him, I'm pretty certain he's toast.

Edit: He'll still sign somewhere and try and play, but we'll either see someone with greatly diminished arm strength or someone who struggles to stay on the field.

BeerBaron
01-29-2012, 12:47 PM
Hey, anything is possible with Peyton's mental aspect.

Chad Pennington's shoulder was about 90% scar tissue yet he still took teams to the playoffs a few times.

Peyton with 50% physical tools but the same mental grasp of the game would still be a large improvement for multiple teams in the league right now.

CashmoneyDrew
01-29-2012, 12:51 PM
And if not for Jake Locker and Matt Hasselbeck, I'd be dying to get him in a Titans jersey and playing football back in Tennessee again.

There's still some members of the Nashville sports talk media trying to justify the idea that the Titans need to cut Hasselbeck and sign Manning.

BaLLiN
01-29-2012, 12:56 PM
There's still some members of the Nashville sports talk media trying to justify the idea that the Titans need to cut Hasselbeck and sign Manning.

I don't get why Locker isn't starting already

mightytitan9
01-29-2012, 12:58 PM

who cares? Mark Sanchez sucks. If you have a 4 year window to win a super bowl would you choose Sanchez or Peyton?

The Jets would be wise to sign Peyton, then trade Sanchez to a team like Seahawks or Redskins.

Brodeur
01-29-2012, 12:59 PM

They were trying to take it slow on him (like Jacksonville should have done with good ol' Blaine).

mightytitan9
01-29-2012, 01:07 PM
The Jets don't have close to the cap for Manning, let alone both him and Wayne.

Disagree. If Manning is signed, Sanchez would be moved. LT and Plax would be gone. I fully expect them to cut Bart Scott and Antonio Cromartie. If the Jets want Peyton they'll get him

mightytitan9
01-29-2012, 01:10 PM

Munch didn't want to abandon Hasselbeck as long as the Titans were in the playoff hunt and that went the whole season...

ATLDirtyBirds
01-29-2012, 01:13 PM
They were trying to take it slow on him (like Jacksonville should have done with good ol' Blaine).

Who else would have provided us so much entertainment this season then?

ElectricEye
01-29-2012, 01:21 PM
The cap in the NFL doesn't really mean as much as people think it does. You can't just do whatever you want and you have to be smart about who you sign, but you can manipulate it a whole ton. The Jets could well create enough space to sign Manning, even though they would have to make some sacrifices to do so.

As I already said, I think the point is moot though. I can't imagine him wanting to play for Rex Ryan and for a team with as many internal issues as they have. I just can't see that being a good landing spot for him from his perspective.

...and as I said, I can't really see any of these teams being thrown around as absolute slam dunks. None of them really jump off the page.

DraftSavant
01-29-2012, 01:32 PM
I kinda hope he goes to Jax, tbh. I feel dirty saying it, but I can't handle another year of Gabbert.

DraftSavant
01-29-2012, 01:32 PM
edit: dbl post

nepg
01-29-2012, 01:43 PM
I hope he stays in Indy, and I don't know how they ****** it up this bad.

DraftSavant
01-29-2012, 01:55 PM
I hope he stays in Indy, and I don't know how they ****** it up this bad.

Tom Condon basically bent Irsay and Polian over the table in that contract negotiation.

BeerBaron
01-29-2012, 02:01 PM
I kinda hope he goes to Jax, tbh. I feel dirty saying it, but I can't handle another year of Gabbert.

You're going to be dealing with more than one year of Gabbert I hope you know. And with Mularkey as HC? Ha...enjoy.

Jvig43
01-29-2012, 02:01 PM
Tom Condon basically bent Irsay and Polian over the table in that contract negotiation.

AFTER Peyton said he'd take less money so the team could spend money on other players. Makes no sense why they still went ahead and threw it all at him if he was saying he would take less.

Brent
01-29-2012, 02:03 PM
AFTER Peyton said he'd take less money so the team could spend money on other players. Makes no sense why they still went ahead and threw it all at him if he was saying he would take less.
just because he wanted less, doesnt mean that his agent, negotiating said contract, did.

dan77733
01-29-2012, 02:15 PM
Manning will NOT be a Colt in 2012 unless he pushes back his $28m option bonus which is due March 8th and then takes a huge paycut so in other words, he'll be an UFA no later than March 7th and will have about a week before free agency starts on March 13th. If Manning wants to play, he'll have to accept a contract before the start of free agency because if he doesnt, all the money that teams are willing to spend will be gone and then, no team will pay him what he wants unless a team's starter goes down for the season come training camp/pre-season.

Colts can easily rebuild their offense by releasing Manning, drafting Luck and signing a few offensive players to build around Luck. At 35 and with no guarantee that he'll ever play again, paying Manning his $28m option bonus is something that isnt going to happen and another thing, because he'll have to be released by March 7th, the Colts wont be able to trade him either.

And no way in hell would the Colts be stupid enough to pay him his option bonus and then try to trade him because no other team is going to give up at least two first round draft picks, pay that option bonus and the rest of his long ass contract.

Here's what I truly think will happen -

Colts will release Manning by March 7th. Manning will then sign a huge contract with a team but there will be a catch. The entire contract will be based on a roster bonus due week one of the regular season and then another option bonus in March 2013. Those two bonuses plus the length of the contract will make it seem/sound like a huge contract but in reality, will probably be a six month deal worth a few million guaranteed via the signing bonus in order to see if Manning is 100% by opening day. If he is, he'll get his money for at least 2012 and be the starter on whatever team signs him. If he's not, he'll be released before his roster bonus comes due and granted, the team would have wasted a few million by signing him for six months but that would be a far better decision as opposed to signing him with a huge guaranteed signing bonus, a huge contract that could be guaranteed and him not playing ever again.

As for my beloved 49ers, Manning being 35 and obviously nowhere near 100% and no one knowing if he'll ever play again are plenty of reasons why the 49ers wont sign him or even contact him after the Colts release him. Also, the 49ers have several top free agents including QB Alex Smith, WR Josh Morgan, OG Adam Snyder, OLB Ahmad Brooks, ILB Larry Grant, CB Carlos Rogers and FS Dashon Goldson.

Smith, Goldson and Rogers are the top three and signing Manning would basically handicap the team which is why the Niners wont sign him. And people think that he could help the Niners (or whoever) but how is he going to help any team when no team knows if he'll be 100% by opening day and even if he is, no team knows how he'll even play after being out of action for 20 or so months. No thanks to Manning.

Sloopy
01-29-2012, 02:46 PM
Colts can easily rebuild their offense by releasing Manning, drafting Luck and signing a few offensive players to build around Luck. At 35 and with no guarantee that he'll ever play again, paying Manning his $28m option bonus is something that isnt going to happen and another thing, because he'll have to be released by March 7th, the Colts wont be able to trade him either.

O...M...G... How did we not see this all along... it's so simple.

All we have to do is release our best player and sign a bunch of FA and we are back to the playoffs no problem.

Speed bumps? Not likely

Chance of failure? 0

nepg
01-29-2012, 02:52 PM
The Colts are stupid if they decide to crap all over the culture they've built over the last 13-14 years and start from scratch. Did changes need to be made in the front office and coaching staff? Yes. But that doesn't mean you scrap everything.

The offense is in good shape with a few re-signings.

The defense needs work...that's why they brought in Pagano.

Keep Manning, draft Luck. Rebuild the defense to suit Pagano and perform maintenance as able/necessary. This is not a team that should be trifling with rebuilding after one bad year in the last 13.

Brodeur
01-29-2012, 03:20 PM
The Colts are stupid if they decide to crap all over the culture they've built over the last 13-14 years and start from scratch. Did changes need to be made in the front office and coaching staff? Yes. But that doesn't mean you scrap everything.

The offense is in good shape with a few re-signings.

The defense needs work...that's why they brought in Pagano.

Keep Manning, draft Luck. Rebuild the defense to suit Pagano and perform maintenance as able/necessary. This is not a team that should be trifling with rebuilding after one bad year in the last 13.

No it isn't. Their running backs are not very good at all, their line is below average, Reggie Wayne is declining at a rapid rate while Dallas Clark is aging and oft-injured now, their other receivers (Garcon, White, Collie) are really average at best...

NotKvnDyl
01-29-2012, 03:20 PM
I agree whole heartily

TitanHope
01-29-2012, 03:22 PM

There's no telling if he'll be ready for the start of the year as it is, and Locker was drafted to be the future and could at worst be ready to take full control by midseason and at best win the starting QB spot in training camp. We know what we have in Hasselbeck and there's no sense in bringing in a questionable Manning to start for half a season when we still have Hass who's healthy and under contract for another year.

The Titans were 9-7 under Hasselbeck, and the coaching staff had a plan for Locker and stuck to it. I'm glad they did and didn't rush anything on him, especially after a short offseason.

Yup. Even though he played well and made plays in the limited time he saw, Locker needs time to be polished, and it wouldn't be wise to abandon the plan for the longrun just because he came in during garbage time and threw a couple of TD's. Albeit, super sexy lazer guided TD's.

nepg
01-29-2012, 03:41 PM
No it isn't. Their running backs are not very good at all, their line is below average, Reggie Wayne is declining at a rapid rate while Dallas Clark is aging and oft-injured now, their other receivers (Garcon, White, Collie) are really average at best...
You're underrating the receivers a bit. Wayne is in the decline (obviously...he's 34) and they've had injury problems (Collie, White, Gonzalez), but it's a productive group. Especially with a quality QB under center. White, Collie, & Garcon with Peyton back there is a nice trio.

It shouldn't take much to turn the OL into a solid unit, and RBs are RBs...

WCH
01-29-2012, 03:44 PM

The logical deduction is that Peyton was playing PR games, and it worked out for him.

1crazyredskinsfan
01-29-2012, 04:12 PM
what do you expect from an irsay? the guy's daddy slipped the colts out of baltimore in the middle of the night! and unless you are bill gates,you lose a lot and get no gain when you pay somebody a 28 million dollar bonus when they can't play for you anymore!

CashmoneyDrew
01-29-2012, 04:33 PM
There's no telling if he'll be ready for the start of the year as it is, and Locker was drafted to be the future and could at worst be ready to take full control by midseason and at best win the starting QB spot in training camp. We know what we have in Hasselbeck and there's no sense in bringing in a questionable Manning to start for half a season when we still have Hass who's healthy and under contract for another year.

Agreed, I'd rather look to Locker this year and spend our 30 million in cap elsewhere. I'm just ready for Manning to sign somewhere so the Vol fans that still have their Manning boners erect can move on to him coming to the Tits. I think Miami would be a good fit personally.

Da-Phins
01-29-2012, 04:38 PM
What Peyton REALLY needs to do is to come to Miami and win some superbowlzzzzz for us.

Sadly though I wonder if he would want any part of a headache WR like Marshall.

Splat
01-29-2012, 05:07 PM

Throwing to Bowe,Breaston,Baldwin,Moeaki and handing off to Jamaal sounds so much better...

But never going to happen. :(

LonghornsLegend
01-29-2012, 05:36 PM
I hate when people start rumors just for the hell of it, I get Peyton went to Tennessee in college and all, but why in the hell would the Titans want him? Locker was the 7th pick overall in the draft, and looked damn good in limited fashion. Them taking their time with him is only going to make his future that much more brighter.

Since when do you draft a guy that high, and continue to leave him on the bench for 4 years for aging veterans? It's never going to happen, never would happen, and it's annoying to even read.

Ness
01-29-2012, 05:39 PM

You make it sound like Peyton Manning is 27 and has had no injury history. Which isn't the case. He's been out of football shape for an entire NFL season, has had 3 neck surgeries in the last 19 months, will be 36, and will be in a new system for the first time in his career.

You also make it sound like it's up to me. Which it isn't. I'm just reiterating what Harbaugh has already said. He wants Smith back next season. So it's not happening.

Brodeur
01-29-2012, 05:42 PM
What Peyton REALLY needs to do is to come to Miami and win some superbowlzzzzz for us.

He dealt with an insane sociopath in Marvin Harrison for so many years.

OzTitan
01-29-2012, 05:54 PM
Colts are probably going to get a good amount of picks for whoever wants Manning. At least two good ones I'm guessing. Lucky for the Colts.

His $28M bonus due before the 2013 season and hence the trade window begins makes him basically untradeable.

BeerBaron
01-29-2012, 06:00 PM
His $28M bonus due before the 2013 season and hence the trade window begins makes him basically untradeable.

*2012...aka, this season.

OzTitan
01-29-2012, 06:04 PM

Probably, but I don't think that's 100% certain. The Colts have been playing the salary cap close for a bit now and while Manning keeps hinting he's willing to renegotiate to help the Colts with the cap, in the past this has simply been a case of converting salary to prorated bonus - hardly a sacrifice on Manning's part, and entirely different than this situation, where he'd basically have to take a huge pay cut to make the $28M bonus any nicer for the Colts.

I could see the Colts not being convinced of Peyton's long term health enough to want to sit down and negotiate that $28M bonus as part of a new multi year deal, which is what it was intended for - i.e. to force a new contract talk. But also remember they have the 1st overall pick - had the Colts finished 7-9 and weren't in the same spot to land a new QB, perhaps they would be more willing to think of a new deal.

In any case I can see realistic reasons why Peyton will be released but his health not necessarily the entire reason why.

brat316
01-29-2012, 07:07 PM
Hmmm would AZ drop Kolb for Manning?

Rosebud
01-29-2012, 07:27 PM

They could Matt Leinart him.

BeerBaron
01-29-2012, 07:51 PM

Doubtful, but they could keep Kolb as a backup. Where he belongs.

LonghornsLegend
01-29-2012, 08:05 PM
Sadly, Skelton is probably the better back-up. At least I could say he's probably getting better, Kolb is what he is at this point nothing more. Skelton doesn't look pretty but he leads them to wins.

gpngc
01-29-2012, 10:29 PM
Seattle is a perfect fit. They are literally a QB away. Their D is much better than the Redskins and young as hell...

Manning would walk in and instantly be the face of the franchise, own a great sports city, and enjoy one of the best homefield advantages in sports.

He'd also have a good running game to lean on, some talent at receiver (and TE), a decent young OL featuring a franchise LT (if they'd ever stay healthy), and could afford to sign Wayne as well.

The Seahawks have a lot of cap room and can afford to sign their FAs and bring in Manning/Wayne (or they could make a run at Mario Williams, which would vault the D into elite status). It's going to be an exciting offseason because I trust Schneider/Carroll will look heavy at making a run at Manning/Flynn/RG3 and/or Mario Williams. It just makes perfect sense.

This is all assuming he can play football again, though, and not even doctors know that...

gpngc
01-29-2012, 11:14 PM
Word on Twitter is that John Clayton said Peyton Manning is leaning toward retiring....

FUNBUNCHER
01-29-2012, 11:14 PM
Manning's arm is D-E-A-D.
Anyone who signs him will be getting the name, not the player.
Peyton's career ended in 2010, he just doesn't know it yet.

I see former HOF QBs.......!

http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs/338209_o.gif

WCH
01-30-2012, 06:06 AM
Word on Twitter is that John Clayton said Peyton Manning is leaning toward retiring....

This is starting to grow legs. I knew I wasn't wrong to trust Rob Lowe!

Actually, in all seriousness, I wonder if we have a Favre/Packers situations in the works; where the team is pressuring him to retire right now as a Colt, but he wants to continue his playing career.

BandwagonPunditry
01-30-2012, 06:40 AM
You make it sound like Peyton Manning is 27 and has had no injury history. Which isn't the case. He's been out of football shape for an entire NFL season, has had 3 neck surgeries in the last 19 months, will be 36, and will be in a new system for the first time in his career.

You also make it sound like it's up to me. Which it isn't. I'm just reiterating what Harbaugh has already said. He wants Smith back next season. So it's not happening.

This. If age and health were irrelevant we'd just resign Joe Montana and be done with it.

fenikz
01-30-2012, 07:50 AM

Depending on physicals I think so, keeping Skelton as a safety net

We're some rumors a few days a go that the Bidwells were meeting with his agency but I think that would be tampering

bucfan12
01-30-2012, 09:08 AM
I seriously don't think Manning will even play this year and will retire. He's no where near 100% in terms of football shape and the fact he has not been cleared to resume football activities in order to get back to the shape he needs to be in, is not a good sign for this up coming season.

Jughead10
01-30-2012, 09:44 AM
This might be a stupid question that I just don't know the answer to. Was there any one hit in particular that caused this injury? Or was it just a culmination of tons of hits over the years.

BeerBaron
01-30-2012, 09:47 AM
This might be a stupid question that I just don't know the answer to. Was there any one hit in particular that caused this injury? Or was it just a culmination of tons of hits over the years.

Just long-term effects I believe. He finished out the 2010 season remember and had offseason surgery that has taken far longer to recover from than anyone expected. There was also a rumor floating around prior to the season that there was some nerve damage that led to weakness in his throwing shoulder giving him a "dead arm."

It could also be related to the issue that ended Cooper's football career. He had a narrowing of the spine...maybe neck and back problems run in the family.

Jughead10
01-30-2012, 09:48 AM
Just long-term effects I believe. He finished out the 2010 season remember and had offseason surgery that has taken far longer to recover from than anyone expected. There was also a rumor floating around prior to the season that there was some nerve damage that led to weakness in his throwing shoulder giving him a "dead arm."

It could also be related to the issue that ended Cooper's football career. He had a narrowing of the spine...maybe neck and back problems run in the family.

Don't say such a thing. But if that were true, I'd imagine it would have to come from the mom's side of the family.

BeerBaron
01-30-2012, 09:49 AM
Don't say such a thing.

Two of the three brothers may have their playing careers ended/shortened by spine trouble.

I'm just saying is all...

bucfan12
01-30-2012, 09:49 AM

I heard this could be hereditary (spelling?). His older brother had it, the one who never played football professionally because of it.

I think his career is over. Sad to say it, but I think it's best if he hangs it up now. He really doesn't have much to prove. Why risk a serious injury to play what, 2 more years?

BeerBaron
01-30-2012, 09:51 AM
never played football professionally because of it.
I think his career is over. Sad to say it, but I think it's best if he hangs it up now. He really doesn't have much to prove. Why risk a serious injury to play what, 2 more years?

Well, if he were to win another Superbowl and/or capture some of the career records, he'd be mentioned in the GOAT category.

And as we're seeing with current players (mostly) not giving a flying **** about concussions, long term effects of a playing career can be damned. Peyton himself in the past has said that he purposely does worse on the baseline concussion tests so that if he actually did suffer a concussion in a game, it would be easier to pass the test.

See: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/27/peyton-manning-admits-to-tanking-baseline-concussion-tests/

killxswitch
01-30-2012, 10:10 AM
Archie Manning has said publicly that Cooper Manning's neck/spine problems are different, and that PM's are football injury-related.

Back in I believe 2005 the Colts were playing the Redskins. Known asshole Greg Williams was the DC at that time. Two Skins defenders hit Manning after a pass and twisted him up pretty badly. Ok here's an article, it was 06: http://playerperspective.com/coaching-file/dungy-peyton-mannings-neck-injury-result-of-illegal-hit-by-phillip-daniels-in-2006/

Dungy has said he thinks that was the start of the problems.

nepg
01-30-2012, 11:12 AM
Two of the three brothers may have their playing careers ended/shortened by spine trouble.

I'm just saying is all...
Eli is shaped a bit differently than Peyton and Cooper. He looks more like a normal person with somewhat of a chin and normal-shaped head. He even has shoulders.

bucfan12
01-30-2012, 12:01 PM
Well, if he were to win another Superbowl and/or capture some of the career records, he'd be mentioned in the GOAT category.

And as we're seeing with current players (mostly) not giving a flying **** about concussions, long term effects of a playing career can be damned. Peyton himself in the past has said that he purposely does worse on the baseline concussion tests so that if he actually did suffer a concussion in a game, it would be easier to pass the test.

See: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/27/peyton-manning-admits-to-tanking-baseline-concussion-tests/

But this is a neck/spine injury, not a concussion. Does he want to be in a wheel chair the rest of his life if he gets hit the wrong way?

BeerBaron
01-30-2012, 12:03 PM
But this is a neck/spine injury, not a concussion. Does he want to be in a wheel chair the rest of his life if he gets hit the wrong way?

With enough brain damage you end up with memory loss or potentially even die by 50. Past studies of former NFL player's brains after death reveal brains with damage akin to 90 year olds or career boxers.

Most players it would seem simply aren't worried about the long term effects the game may have on their health.

If he feels like he can still play, he'll try to play. Only if the neck causes him to be unable to play will he not play.

Jughead10
01-30-2012, 12:05 PM
With enough brain damage you end up with memory loss or potentially even die by 50.

Most players it would seem simply aren't worried about the long term effects the game may have on their health.

If he feels like he can still play, he'll try to play. Only if the neck causes him to be unable to play will he not play.

Also the problem is with his arm. Yes it is a nerve in his neck but that nerve controls his triceps muscle I believe.

BeerBaron
01-30-2012, 12:07 PM
Also the problem is with his arm. Yes it is a nerve in his neck but that nerve controls his triceps muscle I believe.

I mentioned before that there was a rumor from the preseason that the surgery damaged a nerve that goes to his shoulder, severely weakening it.

If that's the case then he probably is done because of dead arm. But I think he'll still give it a shot...maybe work out for a few teams after he's cut. But if the velocity isn't there, it's unlikely anyone will sign him.

LonghornsLegend
01-30-2012, 12:08 PM
I just don't get why everyone acts like it'll tarnish his legacy for changing teams, or that he should only play for the Colts. There are a ton of 1st ballot HOFers who changed teams, you can find a lot more then Joe Montana, Emmitt Smith, and Jerry Rice too.

BeerBaron
01-30-2012, 12:10 PM
I just don't get why everyone acts like it'll tarnish his legacy for changing teams, or that he should only play for the Colts. There are a ton of 1st ballot HOFers who changed teams, you can find a lot more then Joe Montana, Emmitt Smith, and Jerry Rice too.

BRETT FAVRE...TWICE....

I don't get that argument either. Maybe it'll tarnish it a bit in the eyes of Indy fans but no one else.

I think it's a different scenario when a player wants to keep playing but the team moves on. Then that guy is free to sign with whoever and it wouldn't tarnish anything in my mind.

Now, if the player forces a split from the team to go elsewhere, I could see it being a different story.

Brent
01-30-2012, 12:14 PM
Brett Favre, Russell Maryland, Tim Brown, and Joe Namath, come to mind.

1crazyredskinsfan
01-30-2012, 12:24 PM
you think russell maryland is in the same class as the other guys mentioned?

killxswitch
01-30-2012, 12:36 PM
It would bother me if Manning played for another team but that is to be expected.

RE: velocity and the nerve and tricep, Joe Addai said semi-recently that he caught some passes from Manning and that the ones up to 20ish yards downfield looked "game ready" to him. This was before the playoffs I think. So he doesn't have an atrophied baby arm or something.

BeerBaron
01-30-2012, 12:38 PM
I've said before that someone with the mental aspect of the game that Peyton has could still be extremely useful for a contending team in the same way that Chad Pennington was even after his umpteen millionth shoulder surgery.

Which only furthers the reason I think he'll try to come back.

WCH
01-30-2012, 12:45 PM
Johnny Unitas changed teams, as well.

1crazyredskinsfan
01-30-2012, 01:27 PM
do you know who johnny u's back up was his last season? Dan fouts.

Brent
01-30-2012, 03:03 PM
you think russell maryland is in the same class as the other guys mentioned?
No, I was just naming famous players that changed teams.

SuperPacker
01-30-2012, 03:15 PM
Brett Favres career wasnt tarnished because he changed teams it was tarnished because he tried to come back and go rejected and then played s*** when he did come back.

As long as Manning can perform as he has been his career wont be tarnished. If he goes to a superbowl ready team he could even enhance it by winning his second superbowl.

ArkyRamsFan
01-30-2012, 04:23 PM
Brett Favre, Russell Maryland, Tim Brown, and Joe Namath, come to mind.

And let's not forget a guy named Johnny Unitas....

Oops....looks like I should read ALL the posts before I respond, lol...

BeerBaron
01-30-2012, 05:11 PM
Brett Favres career wasnt tarnished because he changed teams it was tarnished because he tried to come back and go rejected and then played s*** when he did come back.

As long as Manning can perform as he has been his career wont be tarnished. If he goes to a superbowl ready team he could even enhance it by winning his second superbowl.

Eh, I disagree. Everyone got sick of him for what he did, but when he comes up for HoF induction, you'll be lucky to see a passing mention that he was ever a Jet or a Viking.

He'll go in as a full blown Packer and all of his accomplishments there will be his big highlights.

WCH
01-30-2012, 05:41 PM
Eh, I disagree. Everyone got sick of him for what he did, but when he comes up for HoF induction, you'll be lucky to see a passing mention that he was ever a Jet or a Viking.

He'll go in as a full blown Packer and all of his accomplishments there will be his big highlights.

And with Manning probably out of the running for all of those career records, Favre could be going into the Hall with nobody on the horizon who is an obvious pick to catch him. He'll be celebrated as the "Greatezzzt QB EVER" by ESPN and the entire state of Wisconsin will welcome the fanfare.

PoopSandwich
01-30-2012, 06:18 PM

Brett Favre was amazing for the Vikings his first year and played well with the Jets until getting hurt.

BeerBaron
01-30-2012, 06:43 PM
And with Manning probably out of the running for all of those career records, Favre could be going into the Hall with nobody on the horizon who is an obvious pick to catch him. He'll be celebrated as the "Greatezzzt QB EVER" by ESPN and the entire state of Wisconsin will welcome the fanfare.

It's a good thing you added the "by ESPN" or else rage mode was going to ensue.

But yes, ESPN will probably trump him up as GoaMFT when HoF induction time rolls around.

And then they'll do the same for Manning when it's his turn...and Brady when it's his...

Agh.

WCH
01-30-2012, 06:53 PM

Good to know what I need to say if I ever want you see you go into rage mode. ;)

Incidentally, the only player I'm willing to commit to as the GOAT at their position is Bruce Smith as a 3-4 DE, even if he did do more edge-rushing than most 3-4 DEs.

Nalej
01-30-2012, 07:09 PM

But yes, ESPN will probably trump him up as GoaMFT when HoF induction time rolls around.

And then they'll do the same for Manning when it's his turn...and Brady when it's his...

Agh.

One out of 3 ain't bad

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120106052215/villains/images/c/c4/TrollFaceDancing.gif

LonghornsLegend
01-30-2012, 11:06 PM
Rumors of him retiring are starting to pick up steam, I think it's time to stop pondering about where he's going to play and who he's going to play for. He's likely done, he's going to put it off as long as he can but IMO there is no way you'd be hearing all this talk of retirement and his neck not healing properly if it wasn't true.

Besides that, if he's not healthy right now, no reason to think it'll all of a sudden happen in a few months over the summer.

CashmoneyDrew
01-31-2012, 01:14 AM
http://www.comehomepeyton.com/

Mufasa
01-31-2012, 01:46 AM
I think Drew Brees would have a problem with Manning coming home.

Scotty D
01-31-2012, 01:55 AM

BTW I haven't heard much talk about how Brees doesn't have a contract for next year. I know its highly unlikely he will leave but why wouldn't they get this done earlier? The longer he remains un-signed the more dangerous the situation could get.

Mufasa
01-31-2012, 02:06 AM
There's no danger. It's a 100% chance that Brees and the Saints work out a deal, it's just a matter of when. They can tag him for a while if they have to.

Scotty D
01-31-2012, 02:25 AM
There's no danger. It's a 100% chance that Brees and the Saints work out a deal, it's just a matter of when. They can tag him for a while if they have to.

Yeah, they can tag him. I just think its irresponsible by the GM to not have him signed already.

boknows34
01-31-2012, 02:28 AM
Gil Brandt of nfl.com, Yahoo Sports' Jason Cole and Jeff McLane of the Philadelphia Inquirer are all reporting that Manning is indeed likely done.

“In my opinion, I don’t think he’ll ever play, because I think the risk is so high. When you’ve had three neck surgeries like that, you know, there’s always a consequence at the end. The big thing is, he might pass the physical, but is he going to have the same velocity, is he going to have the same strength?” - Brandt.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-cole_peyton_manning_colts_neck_surgery_jim_irsay01 3012

The nerves in Manning’s arm are not healing as quickly as hoped and, worse, don’t appear to be progressing at enough of a rate to indicate that he will play again, according to two sources with knowledge of Manning’s rehabilitation from neck surgery. The vertebrae in his neck that were fused have healed as expected and Manning began throwing in December. But he hasn’t shown improvement in velocity on his passes, and the two sources fear he likely never will again.

In addition, two league-affiliated doctors with experience in spinal fusion surgery said it could take up to a year before Manning knows if he can return. Both said the risk is too great for Manning to play again and, because of the timeline, neither would recommend the Colts pay Manning the $28 million bonus he is owed in March.

Mufasa
01-31-2012, 02:35 AM
Yeah, they can tag him. I just think its irresponsible by the GM to not have him signed already.

My guess is that they want to know what they're doing in free agency first so they can structure the contract accordingly. I'd bet they have the key figures agreed upon or at least close already.

fenikz
01-31-2012, 05:29 AM
Why doesn't he just go to Germany and get some brand new stem cell nervs

Kobe's stem cell knees seem to be doing fine

BeerBaron
01-31-2012, 05:56 AM

TRtlkcQ6brE

killxswitch
01-31-2012, 08:10 AM

Manning already went to Europe (dunno if it was Germany) for stem cell therapy. It apparently didn't help.

CJSchneider
01-31-2012, 10:09 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-cole_peyton_manning_colts_neck_surgery_jim_irsay01 3012

If I were a GM with a young or immature QB, I can't say I wouldn't consider signing him for cheap under the expressed intent that he wouldn't see the field at all and that he was there just to mentor.

Big Bird
01-31-2012, 10:44 AM
Why would Drew Brees have a problem with Peyton going to Tennessee (which is what the website is about, because you obviously didn't bother to click on it).

killxswitch
01-31-2012, 11:05 AM
Why would Drew Brees have a problem with Peyton going to Tennessee (which is what the website is about, because you obviously didn't bother to click on it).

I think the point is that Manning is from Louisiana, not Tennessee.

Razor
01-31-2012, 11:38 AM
Manning already went to Europe (dunno if it was Germany) for stem cell therapy. It apparently didn't help.

You don't do this in the US?

BeerBaron
01-31-2012, 11:43 AM

Go see my Family Guy video from the previous page for your answer.

I don't blame other countries for thinking America is full of idiots...just people don't count me amongst them.

dolphinfan2k5
01-31-2012, 02:20 PM
No one talking about the new Manning news? Really?

"AdamSchefter Adam Schefter
ESPN will begin airing its sitdown interview with Peyton Manning at 3 pm, and throughout the day. Retirement sounds a long way off. "

"chris mortensen
nfl insiders special again at 3 et. Now you'll get a hint of why i say peyton manning isn't thinking retirement. Also more @nfl32 6 et espn2 "

"evansilva Evan Silva
Peyton Manning in Wingo interview: "Doctors & I have been in good, constant communication. And I'm very encouraged by what they've said."

evansilva Evan Silva
In the Wingo interview, Peyton Manning also said he expects to receive medical clearance to play football in 2012. "

"Peyton Manning was just asked on ESPN when the appropriate time for deciding his Colts future and football future will be: "Probably after this week ... I'll happen soon. I'm sure y'all will know when it does." He said he's going forward with his rehab and, "I'm very encouraged with what (doctors) say,'' he said. On Colts owner Jim Irsay: "He and I are having dinner Thurs night. We'll get to visit a little bit. Probably not about everything going on (with his future)."

"davehydesports Dave Hyde
Peyton's money quote on ESPN: "Everything looks good...that I'll be cleared and ready to go." Question is on what timetable. FA starts soon."

1crazyredskinsfan
01-31-2012, 02:29 PM

our government is really picky in just about all we do with stem cells,and just about every other medical thing we do over here.it's stupid and ignoant,but then again so is about everything our government does over here.

BeerBaron
01-31-2012, 02:40 PM

Yeah, I wasn't buying the retirement talk. I think the Colts will cut him and he'll try to go to another team. Plenty of other teams will/should be interested, but I'll be most interested in seeing Peyton come training camp and the preseason.

FlyingElvis
01-31-2012, 02:57 PM
There's a whole lot of gray area between "cleared to play in 2012" and "cleared to play by free agency."

I predict a short line of suitors for Peyton and no significant offers prior to medical clearance.

Also, I predict a totally unwatchable media circus along the lines of Favre-watch. So we have that to look forward to . . .

BeerBaron
01-31-2012, 02:59 PM
There is not a doubt in my mind that teams will still line up. Some are already (basically) tampering by saying they'd be interested. (If not officially stating it [looking at you Jets] then "team sources" are floating it out there like the Cardinals and Dolphins have done.)

So yeah, teams will be interested. They just better have a solid backup plan and should probably sign him to an incentive laden deal.

dolphinfan2k5
01-31-2012, 03:03 PM
There's a whole lot of gray area between "cleared to play in 2012" and "cleared to play by free agency."

I predict a short line of suitors for Peyton and no significant offers prior to medical clearance.

Also, I predict a totally unwatchable media circus along the lines of Favre-watch. So we have that to look forward to . . .

The main thing to take away is that it looks like he won't be retiring in the next few months.

FlyingElvis
01-31-2012, 03:52 PM
I agree he won't retire. I think Peyton has handled it right by not budging on the deal / bonus. He doesn't need to give up his leverage and will be a FA with free choice on where to go. I just think we will se an unsigned GOAT QB heading into the late fall / early summer, depending on when he's cleared. Teams will be in constant communication until then with nothing more than "feeler" or incentive type offers.

And the resulting media coverage will be awful.

ATLDirtyBirds
01-31-2012, 05:36 PM

Meh, hardly news. Anyone who thought Manning was just going to pack it in wasn't being realistic. He's going to at least go through the process and latch on with a team. Right now it's just a matter of how much of the old Peyton are you getting.

DraftSavant
01-31-2012, 05:46 PM
If he's waived/released before the bonus is due, doesn't he have to clear waivers? Couldn't some team theoretically put in a waiver claim for him?

Then you're stuck with his contract, though. :shrug:

LonghornsLegend
01-31-2012, 05:54 PM
My guess is that they want to know what they're doing in free agency first so they can structure the contract accordingly. I'd bet they have the key figures agreed upon or at least close already.

And in doing so leaves them with their hands tied behind their backs when it comes to re-signing Nicks and Colston. Not going to be able to do all three in one off-season, and still not one reason what so ever Brees shouldn't have a deal by now.

BeerBaron
01-31-2012, 06:45 PM
If he's waived/released before the bonus is due, doesn't he have to clear waivers? Couldn't some team theoretically put in a waiver claim for him?

Then you're stuck with his contract, though. :shrug:

Assuming he's cut right before the bonus is due, anyone making a claim will have to pay him the $28 million right away without having any idea what he'll bring to the table.

No one will do that.

WCH
01-31-2012, 07:43 PM
Peyton has committed more than four years of service in the NFL, so if he's waived at any point between tomorrow (February 1) and the trading deadline, he won't be subjected to waivers. He'll become an unrestricted free agent upon the termination of his contract.

OzTitan
01-31-2012, 08:29 PM
Is it 4 years? Could have sworn the Titans claimed Randy Moss off waivers when they got him.

CashmoneyDrew
01-31-2012, 08:52 PM
I think the point is that Manning is from Louisiana, not Tennessee.

The people in Louisiana don't give two shits about Peyton compared to the people of Tennessee. Especially middle and east Tennessee. It's crazy, he could probably run for office here.

WCH
01-31-2012, 08:53 PM
Is it 4 years? Could have sworn the Titans claimed Randy Moss off waivers when they got him.

They did, but if I recall correctly, Moss was waived after the trade deadline. If my understanding of the rules is correct, then any player with four years of service will go straight to Free Agency if they're released at any point between February 1st and the trade deadline in October. During the period between the trade deadline and February, however, every player goes through waivers.

I could be wrong, though.

Jvig43
01-31-2012, 09:09 PM
Assuming he's cut right before the bonus is due, anyone making a claim will have to pay him the $28 million right away without having any idea what he'll bring to the table.

No one will do that.

I highly doubt that. Do not underestimate how stupid teams can be when they think they can get their hands on a franchise QB. Not to mention a possibly GOAT franchise QB.

49erNation85
01-31-2012, 10:29 PM
I don't give a crap what SF has to be done about bringing Manning to the 49ers it would be an epic 3 years by then we can try and draft a QB to replace him.... Make it happen JIM!!!

Ness
02-01-2012, 12:04 AM
I don't give a crap what SF has to be done about bringing Manning to the 49ers it would be an epic 3 years by then we can try and draft a QB to replace him.... Make it happen JIM!!!

It's not happening. Jim Harbaugh supports Alex Smith and wants him back. He supported him during the lockout as well saying he could be a championship quarterback. He's going to look to help Alex improve after a decent season this past year. You can't really fault the staff for that. Chasing after Peyton Manning and hoping he'll come to the 49ers is a waste of time. Let it go.

Mufasa
02-01-2012, 01:03 AM
It's not happening. Jim Harbaugh supports Alex Smith and wants him back. He supported him during the lockout as well saying he could be a championship quarterback. He's going to look to help Alex improve after a decent season this past year. You can't really fault the staff for that. Chasing after Peyton Manning and hoping he'll come to the 49ers is a waste of time. Let it go.

Yeah you can. Peyton Manning is twice the QB Alex Smith is. He supported Smith because at the time that was the best option available to him. The fact that he said he thinks Smith could be a championship quaterback doesn't mean ****, although it is a load of ****. That's what he had at the time, so that's what he backed. Alex Smith is not a championship QB; Peyton Manning is.

Bengalsrocket
02-01-2012, 01:23 AM
Yeah you can. Peyton Manning is twice the QB Alex Smith is. He supported Smith because at the time that was the best option available to him. The fact that he said he thinks Smith could be a championship quaterback doesn't mean ****, although it is a load of ****. That's what he had at the time, so that's what he backed. Alex Smith is not a championship QB; Peyton Manning is.

Wouldn't the world just be easier if coaches said exactly what they meant.

BandwagonPunditry
02-01-2012, 08:49 AM
Yeah you can. Peyton Manning was twice the QB Alex Smith is..

Fixed that for you. At this stage Manning's an unknown quantity. If you'd like to argue that an upgrade from Alex would improve the team, few people would disagree. We're not saying Smith's the GOAT or anything, just that he's played well this season and the coaching staff have bought into him. Manning's health, probable contract and personality mean he's an extremely unlikely option.

Jvig43
02-01-2012, 10:14 AM
Fixed that for you. At this stage Manning's an unknown quantity. If you'd like to argue that an upgrade from Alex would improve the team, few people would disagree. We're not saying Smith's the GOAT or anything, just that he's played well this season and the coaching staff have bought into him. Manning's health, probable contract and personality mean he's an extremely unlikely option.

A broken Peyton Manning is still twice as valuable as Alex Smith......

BradysKnee
02-01-2012, 10:41 AM
A broken Peyton Manning is still twice as valuable as Alex Smith......

I'd take a maybe Peyton Manning over Alex Smith.

Jvig43
02-01-2012, 10:54 AM
I'd take a maybe Peyton Manning over Alex Smith.

Same here. The fact that anyone would say Manning WAS better than Alex Smith..... his knowledge of the game alone makes him more valuable to me than Smith.

BeerBaron
02-01-2012, 11:04 AM
The difference between Peyton missing time due to still being injured vs. Peyton simply being limited is the big thing here.

If Peyton is able to play albeit limited (like, reduced arm strength) then hell yeah he'd still be a major upgrade over guys like Smith, Mark Sanchez, Matt Moore, Kevin Kolb, Rex Grossman, etc. He could at least help your team out by having the exceptional mental qualities and accuracy even if his arm isn't there. Chad Pennington after umpteen million shoulder surgeries could still help a team be a playoff contender. Joe Montana with the Chiefs also comes to mind.

However, if Peyton's injury is still so severe that he might not be able to play every game, then it might not be worth it to invest in him over some of the previously listed guys.

That'll be the question here. And of course, if he comes back 100% healthy then he'd be an unquestionable upgrade over all but maybe 10-12 other QBs (adjusting for age and contract.)

Vox Populi
02-01-2012, 11:10 AM
Peyton Manning's injury is fake and is just an excuse to get away from Indianapolis after he carried that abortion of a team to the playoffs in 2010 and realized that the team around him has been less talented every year since like 2004 and that trying to play for Jim Caldwell is pointless, and breaking in a new coach with the current roster isn't going to get him anywhere either. He'll come back next year and just **** on everyone.

That is what I want to believe.

BeerBaron
02-01-2012, 11:14 AM
Peyton Manning's injury is fake and is just an excuse to get away from Indianapolis after he carried that abortion of a team to the playoffs in 2010 and realized that the team around him has been less talented every year since like 2004 and that trying to play for Jim Caldwell is pointless, and breaking in a new coach with the current roster isn't going to get him anywhere either. He'll come back next year and just **** on everyone.

That is what I want to believe.

Well if it was for the 49ers, they would DESTROY EVERYONE. A fully healthy Peyton Manning with an o-line of high draft picks, Frank Gore, Vernon Davis, Crabs and that defense? Holy ****, unfair.

David Stern would stop that **** in it's tracks.

LonghornsLegend
02-01-2012, 08:09 PM
The difference between Peyton missing time due to still being injured vs. Peyton simply being limited is the big thing here.

If Peyton is able to play albeit limited (like, reduced arm strength) then hell yeah he'd still be a major upgrade over guys like Smith, Mark Sanchez, Matt Moore, Kevin Kolb, Rex Grossman, etc. He could at least help your team out by having the exceptional mental qualities and accuracy even if his arm isn't there. Chad Pennington after umpteen million shoulder surgeries could still help a team be a playoff contender. Joe Montana with the Chiefs also comes to mind.

However, if Peyton's injury is still so severe that he might not be able to play every game, then it might not be worth it to invest in him over some of the previously listed guys.

That'll be the question here. And of course, if he comes back 100% healthy then he'd be an unquestionable upgrade over all but maybe 10-12 other QBs (adjusting for age and contract.)

Looking at the time frame I'm hearing about when Peyton will be healthy, it seems unlikely that any team is going to put all their eggs in the Peyton basket. Which is why it seems likely it'll be a team like Arizona, their not going to acquire any new QB's unless it's Peyton. Not many other teams you could say that about. Everyone else is going to be working with Free Agency, the draft, trades, etc well before then.

I guess the Jets would fit that bill to an extent, but then again I don't see Peyton wanting to play for a circus show, in that weather, in the same division as the Pats.

BeerBaron
02-01-2012, 08:22 PM
Looking at the time frame I'm hearing about when Peyton will be healthy, it seems unlikely that any team is going to put all their eggs in the Peyton basket. Which is why it seems likely it'll be a team like Arizona, their not going to acquire any new QB's unless it's Peyton. Not many other teams you could say that about. Everyone else is going to be working with Free Agency, the draft, trades, etc well before then.

I guess the Jets would fit that bill to an extent, but then again I don't see Peyton wanting to play for a circus show, in that weather, in the same division as the Pats.

Eh, I could still see teams like Washington, Miami, Seattle, etc. getting into it even without another plan at QB. Washington especially has pulled crazy moves like it in the past.

ViperVisor
02-01-2012, 09:12 PM
I really don't see him going to play vs. Eli 2x a year.

And circus is more likely than playoffs in the AFC East with Miami.

WCH
02-01-2012, 10:12 PM
Well if it was for the 49ers, they would DESTROY EVERYONE. A fully healthy Peyton Manning with an o-line of high draft picks, Frank Gore, Vernon Davis, Crabs and that defense? Holy ****, unfair.

If an 80% Peyton Manning goes to the 49ers then we might as well just ship the 2013 Lombardi Trophy to San Fran right now. I mean, Alex Smith almost got them to the Super Bowl.

nepg
02-01-2012, 10:32 PM
It'd be weird watching Peyton play for the person he replaced originally...

Jvig43
02-01-2012, 10:56 PM
I really don't see him going to play vs. Eli 2x a year.

And circus is more likely than playoffs in the AFC East with Miami.

I'm sorry but no, Miami could easily become a playoff team with Manning at the helm. It's just as likely if not more likely than Manning going to the catastrophe that is the Jets.

fenikz
02-02-2012, 01:47 AM
Manning roster bonus due on March 8th, Kolb's due the 17th

So Arizona does make some sense

jimmylishis
02-02-2012, 01:50 AM
Manning roster bonus due on March 8th, Kolb's due the 17th

So Arizona does make some sense

Behind that o-line coming off neck surgery? Good luck.

MetSox17
02-02-2012, 03:00 AM
Yeah, if he does hit FA, i doubt he has the desire to go play for a team that was mostly **** this past season. Of course he would make them automatically a contender, but i'm not sure he's willing to risk his health or legacy to go try to make the Cardinals or Dolphins relevant again. I'd definitely see how he can rationalize playing for SF/NYJ/BAL/maaaaybe WAS, but once you get to the Seahawks and Cardinals of the world, i'm not sure it's worth it. He may just say **** it and retire.

Brent
02-02-2012, 05:54 AM
has anyone mentioned Minnesota?

boknows34
02-02-2012, 06:13 AM
Jim Irsay said Wednesday that he expects to meet with Manning next week, but that any decision on his future will likely wait until early March.

Irsay also said that while money is not an issue, he doesn't want to make a decision that will hamstring the team's salary cap in future years.

"If it helps us win, I'll pay it in a second. But when it comes to salary cap ... we have real cap problems. You can't make a decision that straps you for the next three seasons.

"If we make a decision based on just affection, and we have cap problems for three years, the fans will call me an idiot."

Ngatachance92
02-02-2012, 06:23 AM
I don't know why anyones putting Baltimore in the mix at all. With our current cap situation wer'e not sure if we have the money to sign Rice, Flacco, Webb and Grubbs. Of those four, our owner has made it very clear that Flacco, Rice and Webb are definites which leaves Grubbs as the possible odd man out, unless we're able to do some expert cap massaging. Even if we lose Grubbs as a cap casulty there's no way we fit Manning in.

DraftSavant
02-02-2012, 10:33 AM

"Basketball reasons." -___________-

I'm not bitter....

BeerBaron
02-02-2012, 10:40 AM
"Basketball reasons." -___________-

I'm not bitter....

I'm kind of surprised that it doesn't get talked about much anymore. (Or at least that I've seen...I've been taking a sports media break for a while that may become permanent because I'm sick of ESPN.)

I just hope you know that, pretty much anytime from now on, when a team in any sport is trying to/being talked about to make a move that would make them overpowered, "David Stern would block that" is going to be mentioned.

gpngc
02-02-2012, 11:26 AM
Yeah, if he does hit FA, i doubt he has the desire to go play for a team that was mostly **** this past season. Of course he would make them automatically a contender, but i'm not sure he's willing to risk his health or legacy to go try to make the Cardinals or Dolphins relevant again. I'd definitely see how he can rationalize playing for SF/NYJ/BAL/maaaaybe WAS, but once you get to the Seahawks and Cardinals of the world, i'm not sure it's worth it. He may just say **** it and retire.

This is just plain ********.

Jughead10
02-02-2012, 11:29 AM
This is just plain ********.

Agreed. I don't think he'd ever play for the Jets because of his brother. Also even though San Fran was awesome this year, the Cardinals and Seahawks is probably the easiest way to the playoffs.

BeerBaron
02-02-2012, 11:31 AM
Yeah, the Seahawks and Cardinals weren't all that far out of the playoffs this year with guys who aren't even fit to hold Peyton's jock.

You add even a moderately healthy Peyton to either team and it should be instant playoffs.

The division isn't that tough. The 49ers were good but competing with them wouldn't be the same as going into a division with the Patriots or playing against his brother twice a year.

I'm actually starting to think that those might be the MOST likely places he ends up.

SuperPacker
02-02-2012, 11:35 AM
I'd say Washington is te most likely place he'll end up. This is a very talenetd team that is a quarterback away from being superbowl contenders. Its also Washington, so the city will be big enough for Peyton. It just makes sense to me.

Jughead10
02-02-2012, 11:36 AM
I don't know about Seattle, but I think Arizona is definitely a legitimate option. Perfect playing conditions which he is used, top WR, overall decent team (certainly better than what he's had in Indy the last 2 years). I don't see how that wouldn't be attractive to him as long as they flash the cash.

BeerBaron
02-02-2012, 11:37 AM
I'd say Washington is te most likely place he'll end up. This is a very talenetd team that is a quarterback away from being superbowl contenders. Its also Washington, so the city will be big enough for Peyton. It just makes sense to me.

Playing his brother twice a year on what would still be the 4th best team in the division makes it unlikely.

Though I have full confidence that the Redskins will make a full run at him and will probably offer the most money, other choices would be more appealing.

BeerBaron
02-02-2012, 11:40 AM
I don't know about Seattle, but I think Arizona is definitely a legitimate option. Perfect playing conditions which he is used, top WR, overall decent team (certainly better than what he's had in Indy the last 2 years). I don't see how that wouldn't be attractive to him as long as they flash the cash.

It would be, but Seattle might have the more solid overall roster that Arizona. They've invested quite a few recent high picks in the o-line, have Lynch at RB, a couple of decent TEs, and if Sidney Rice gets healthy, a top flight WR. Not to mention a defense that I think finished in the top 10. (9th iirc.)

Fitzgerald is easily better than anything the Seahawks have to offer, but they're beat in every other conceivable way. (Terrible o-line most notably and I can't name a TE of theirs offhand for the life of me, and Peyton LOVES him some TEs.)

SuperPacker
02-02-2012, 11:45 AM
Playing his brother twice a year on what would still be the 4th best team in the division makes it unlikely.

Though I have full confidence that the Redskins will make a full run at him and will probably offer the most money, other choices would be more appealing.

Why would playing against his brother be a bad thing? He'd be playing against the Giants/Eagles/Cowboys defenses. Thats much more preferable than 49ers/Seahawks/Rams

If he goes to the NFC West he would have to compete the 49ers who would be a real match for him. Going to the East, the Redskins would probably be the favourites. The NFC West is prbably better than the East.

Jughead10
02-02-2012, 11:46 AM
It would be, but Seattle might have the more solid overall roster that Arizona. They've invested quite a few recent high picks in the o-line, have Lynch at RB, a couple of decent TEs, and if Sidney Rice gets healthy, a top flight WR. Not to mention a defense that I think finished in the top 10. (9th iirc.)

Fitzgerald is easily better than anything the Seahawks have to offer, but they're beat in every other conceivable way. (Terrible o-line most notably and I can't name a TE of theirs offhand for the life of me, and Peyton LOVES him some TEs.)

I agree I think the overall Seattle roster is better. But Fitzgerald alone cancels that out in my opinion. Especially when considering where a QB would want to go. Also Peyton doesn't need TEs already on the team. He'll make a scrub into a good TE. He just needs someone with a brain. Clark certainly doesn't have anywhere near the skills as most TEs in the league.

Brodeur
02-02-2012, 11:47 AM

They have Todd Heap you hobgoblin.

BeerBaron
02-02-2012, 11:48 AM
Why would playing against his brother be a bad thing? He'd be playing against the Giants/Eagles/Cowboys defenses. Thats much more preferable than 49ers/Seahawks/Rams

If he goes to the NFC West he would have to compete the 49ers who would be a real match for him. Going to the East, the Redskins would probably be the favourites. The NFC West is prbably better than the East.

It's fun to hate on the Giants, Eagles and Cowboys but lets be real, they're all better teams than anything the NFC West has to offer behind the 49ers. And not even really "behind" them, so much as on par.

If Peyton goes to Seattle or Arizona, I think they make the playoffs next year. They weren't far out of it this year and I think a reasonably healthy Peyton would absolutely be count for the 2-3 more wins those teams would need to make the playoffs.

I can't say that if he were to go to Washington or Miami or even the Jets.

BeerBaron
02-02-2012, 11:52 AM
I agree I think the overall Seattle roster is better. But Fitzgerald alone cancels that out in my opinion. Especially when considering where a QB would want to go. Also Peyton doesn't need TEs already on the team. He'll make a scrub into a good TE. He just needs someone with a brain. Clark certainly doesn't have anywhere near the skills as most TEs in the league.

Fitzgerald is great. Totally amazing, top 3 WR in the league no question. I've said before that I believe that if he had more consistency at QB through his career that he could have threatened some of Jerry Rice's records because Fitz is more physically talented with that same drive and work ethic.

But, I think the advantages Seattle has just about everywhere else would be more appealing to Peyton trying for one last shot at glory.

They have Todd Heap you hobgoblin.

Oh, how dare I forget a guy I didn't even realize was still on an NFL roster.

SuperPacker
02-02-2012, 11:55 AM
It's fun to hate on the Giants, Eagles and Cowboys but lets be real, they're all better teams than anything the NFC West has to offer behind the 49ers. And not even really "behind" them, so much as on par.

If Peyton goes to Seattle or Arizona, I think they make the playoffs next year. They weren't far out of it this year and I think a reasonably healthy Peyton would absolutely be count for the 2-3 more wins those teams would need to make the playoffs.

I can't say that if he were to go to Washington or Miami or even the Jets.

The best team in the NFC East went 9-7, the best team in the NFC West went 13-3. The Redskins also beat the Giants 2 times last year so its not like they're miles behind the res of the division.

The Redskins with Peyton would have more chance of beating the Eagles, Giants and Cowboys then Seattle/Arizona would of beating the 49ers.

BeerBaron
02-02-2012, 12:00 PM
The best team in the NFC East went 9-7, the best team in the NFC West went 13-3. The Redskins also beat the Giants 2 times last year so its not like they're miles behind the res of the division.

The Redskins with Peyton would have more chance of beating the Eagles, Giants and Cowboys then Seattle/Arizona would of beating the 49ers.

The 49ers had the 3rd easiest schedule in the league with many hollow victories inflating their record.

Plus, I know I for one would rather enter a division with one team that might be better than mine than one with three that I know are better.

Plus the media circus that always follows NFC East matchups gets annoying. Every game seems to end up in primetime, or at least draws the network's A team announcers and gets shown nationally in the afternoon.

And finally, he's not going to go an compete against his brother. The Redskins are going to need to offer an absurd amount of money while also naming him head coach and co-owner for him to even consider it.

bigbluedefense
02-02-2012, 12:04 PM
The NFC East always beats up on each other. That's why we have mediocre records.

There's 3 franchise qbs in the division. The West has none. That alone makes our division better.

BeerBaron
02-02-2012, 12:06 PM
The NFC East always beats up on each other. That's why we have mediocre records.

There's 3 franchise qbs in the division. The West has none. That alone makes our division better.

Eli...Romo...

I count two BBD.

Unless, of course, you're referring to the occasional Good Rex sighting. But that would make 2 1/4 at best.

bigbluedefense
02-02-2012, 12:08 PM
Eli...Romo...

I count two BBD.

Unless, of course, you're referring to the occasional Good Rex sighting. But that would make 2 1/4 at best.

Vick counts. I'm not a big Vick fan, but he's still better than half the qbs in the league. When he's on, he's arguably a top 7 qb.

BeerBaron
02-02-2012, 12:11 PM
Vick counts. I'm not a big Vick fan, but he's still better than half the qbs in the league. When he's on, he's arguably a top 7 qb.

Top half doesn't mean franchise QB. And, by "when he's on," I assume you mean "when he's not nursing a hand/ribs/concussion/ribs again" injury.

Plus he's an Eagles QB. Every Eagles QB ends up completely terrible anywhere but the Eagles.

Rosebud
02-02-2012, 12:15 PM

And yet the best team in the NFC East beat the best team in the NFC West. Maybe we shouldn't let records completely taint our perspective when trying to assess a team's talent level and use that to prognosticate the future? I mean the 9ers have an excellent defense and had an unbelievable year, but if Gore falls apart for realz and Alex Smith has to win games with his arm on the regs there's a perfectly good chance that that offense falls apart, add a tougher schedule and seeing the 9ers struggle to break 10-6 without upgrades to their OL, receiving corps and QB position wouldn't be a surprise at all.

Then we add that surpassing one team to make the playoffs is a lot easier than having to beat the defending conference champ when they're going to be healthier and actually maybe have some balance on offense, as well as an eagles team many picked for the superbowl before the season and a dallas team that has a very dangerous offense and DeMarcus Ware.

Looking at the offenses Peyton can step into and the Redskins pitch comes down to "You'll have a defense...and a coach that was crafty and creative 15 years ago..." A mediocre running game, one ancient good receiver and one good young TE with a middle of the pack OL isn't exactly something that can match up with Fitzy or Beastmo and Rice.

Still haven't even gotten into how much I suspect Peyton doesn't want to spend the last couple years of his careers coming in second to little brother.

bigbluedefense
02-02-2012, 12:16 PM
Top half doesn't mean franchise QB. And, by "when he's on," I assume you mean "when he's not nursing a hand/ribs/concussion/ribs again" injury.

Plus he's an Eagles QB. Every Eagles QB ends up completely terrible anywhere but the Eagles.

Depends on what you view as a franchise qb. These are my definitions:

elite: Top 5 qb in the league. No exceptions. There can't be 8 elite qbs in the league, that cheapens the meaning of elite.

franchise qb: A qb you believe you can win a SB with if you put the right pieces around him. This is generally the Matt Ryan's of the world. A guy who isn't great or dominant, but has shown enough that you believe he can do enough to win a championship with.

mediocre qb: An average qb. He'll get you in that 8 to 9 win pergatory, maybe win a playoff game, but never win you a championship.

terrible qb: Blaine Gabbert.

BeerBaron
02-02-2012, 12:17 PM
You need either another category between "mediocre" and "terrible" or you need to add a few names to the "terrible" list.

Gabbert may very well be the worst QB I've ever seen take an NFL snap. "Terrible" is an understatement. That's like saying that Hitler was "a little mean."

SuperPacker
02-02-2012, 12:20 PM
And yet the best team in the NFC East beat the best team in the NFC West.

And the Giants beat the Packers. Doesnt mean the Giants are better then the Packers or 49ers. They just got hot at he right time. Anyway, how can you seriously act like the Giants won that game by themselves. In both games the teams they were playing fell apart.

The Giants lost too the Redskins and Seahawks, does that make those teams better than them?

BeerBaron
02-02-2012, 12:22 PM
And the Giants beat the Packers. Doesnt mean the Giants are better then the Packers or 49ers. They just got hot at he right time. Anyway, how can you seriously act like the Giants won that game by themselves. In both games the teams they were playing fell apart.

The Giants lost too the Redskins and Seahawks, does that make those teams better than them?

So does that mean the Packers weren't actually better than the Eagles, Falcons, Bears or Steelers last year?

No? Well then can it.

SuperPacker
02-02-2012, 12:23 PM
Depends on what you view as a franchise qb. These are my definitions:

elite: Top 5 qb in the league. No exceptions. There can't be 8 elite qbs in the league, that cheapens the meaning of elite.

franchise qb: A qb you believe you can win a SB with if you put the right pieces around him. This is generally the Matt Ryan's of the world. A guy who isn't great or dominant, but has shown enough that you believe he can do enough to win a championship with.

mediocre qb: An average qb. He'll get you in that 8 to 9 win pergatory, maybe win a playoff game, but never win you a championship.

terrible qb: Blaine Gabbert.

terrible qb: Rex Grossman, Kevin Kolb or Tavaris Jackson

indoor arena football qb: Blaine Gabbert

bigbluedefense
02-02-2012, 12:25 PM
You need either another category between "mediocre" and "terrible" or you need to add a few names to the "terrible" list.

Gabbert may very well be the worst QB I've ever seen take an NFL snap. "Terrible" is an understatement. That's like saying that Hitler was "a little mean."

Kevin Kolb, Tavaris Jackson, Rex Grossmans of the world are terrible.

The Matt Cassels, old Matt Hasselbecks, David Garrards, Alex Smiths of the world are mediocre qbs.

FlyingElvis
02-02-2012, 12:25 PM
Such an odd mentality fans can take sometimes. The two best teams in football are the two that still have a game to play. Period.

SuperPacker
02-02-2012, 12:26 PM
So does that mean the Packers weren't actually better than the Eagles, Falcons, Bears or Steelers last year?

No? Well then can it.

That season we werent. We had plenty of injurys which made us a weaker team, but we got hot and won 4 games in a row.

fenikz
02-02-2012, 01:16 PM
@TribStarTJames: Colts QB Peyton Manning and Arizona WR Larry Fitzgerald expected to have dinner this week in Indy.

:)

Rosebud
02-02-2012, 01:17 PM

Or you know, you could read the rest of my post where I go on to say a lot of other things that might explain why I said what I said.

But on this point the giants beating the **** out of the packers in lambeau and winning in San Fran does actually mean that they were the better team, especially the way those games went. Didn't have as good of a season, but ultimately they proved they were a better team this year.

Still this wasn't my point but if you can't argue with any of the other things I said I guess we can argue this point, although you'll still lose because your opinion would be wrong, but hey, if that's what you want...

SuperPacker
02-02-2012, 01:23 PM
Or you know, you could read the rest of my post where I go on to say a lot of other things that might explain why I said what I said.

But on this point the giants beating the **** out of the packers in lambeau and winning in San Fran does actually mean that they were the better team, especially the way those games went. Didn't have as good of a season, but ultimately they proved they were a better team this year.

Still this wasn't my point but if you can't argue with any of the other things I said I guess we can argue this point, although you'll still lose because your opinion would be wrong, but hey, if that's what you want...

So because the giants beat the packers that makes them better? So are the seahawks better than the Ravens? Are the Rams better than the Saints?

FlyingElvis
02-02-2012, 01:28 PM
So because the giants beat the packers that makes them better?
Yes. That's then entire spirit of competition in playoff tournaments.

So are the seahawks better than the Ravens? Are the Rams better than the Saints?
Irrelevant. Non-playoff environment.

SuperPacker
02-02-2012, 01:30 PM
Yes. That's then entire spirit of competition.

Irrelevant. Non-playoff environment.

Lol, why is it irrelevant? Its a game of football, it doesnt matter when they play. Both teams wre playing to win and the Seahawks won. Does that make them better than the Ravens?

Jughead10
02-02-2012, 01:32 PM
Lol, why is it irrelevant? Its a game of football, it doesnt matter when they play. Both teams wre playing to win and the Seahawks won. Does that make them better than the Ravens?

It kind of does. No one will give a **** about us beating the Pats back in November if we lose this Sunday. Just like no one cared that the Pats beat us in week 17 of 2007.

FlyingElvis
02-02-2012, 01:37 PM
It's irrelevant because you're cherry picking the biggest upsets of the regular season in an attempt to support your argument in relation to post-season play.

SuperPacker
02-02-2012, 01:56 PM
It kind of does. No one will give a **** about us beating the Pats back in November if we lose this Sunday. Just like no one cared that the Pats beat us in week 17 of 2007.

FlyingElvis
It's irrelevant because you're cherry picking the biggest upsets of the regular season in an attempt to support your argument in relation to post-season play.

It doesnt make it irrelevant though. And you wouldnt of said that at the time though. It seems like you're saying the regualr season is a non event where anything that happens is irrelevant. You dont think teams play try their hardest in the regular season?

Jughead10
02-02-2012, 02:02 PM
It doesnt make it irrelevant though. And you wouldnt of said that at the time though. It seems like you're saying the regualr season is a non event where anything that happens is irrelevant. You dont think teams play try their hardest in the regular season?

The regular season is very relevant, until the playoffs start. And then it is not.

SuperPacker
02-02-2012, 02:09 PM
The regular season is very relevant, until the playoffs start. And then it is not.

Its the same team playing the same team. Its not like its a different season.

FlyingElvis
02-02-2012, 02:14 PM
There are just too many flaws in the "The Packers are better" argument to bother with this nonsense.

I'll make it simple for you to see it, if you so choose.

The Giants were the better team all season long. It's just that they played poorly for many of those games.

BeerBaron
02-02-2012, 02:18 PM
@TribStarTJames: Colts QB Peyton Manning and Arizona WR Larry Fitzgerald expected to have dinner this week in Indy.

:)

My argument is helped significantly.

SuperPacker
02-02-2012, 02:22 PM
There are just too many flaws in the "The Packers are better" argument to bother with this nonsense.

I'll make it simple for you to see it, if you so choose.

The Giants were the better team all season long. It's just that they played poorly for many of those games.

erm ok, i didnt know your homerism was that strong.

Ok well i guess know whatever i'll say you'll just disagree with, you obviously only see things through blue and grey (are their pants grey?) tinted glasses.

SuperPacker
02-02-2012, 02:24 PM

Larry Fitzgerald would be a moster with Manning throwing him the ball. He's probably going over there to bribe him into playing for Arizona.

EDIT: Not that Manning is in the financial state to have to accept bribes of course. 28 million isnt it?

Jughead10
02-02-2012, 02:27 PM
Its the same team playing the same team. Its not like its a different season.

It might as well be a different season in most cases. So much changes week to week. 10 weeks is an eternity.

FlyingElvis

I'm not sold there's a whole lot of meaning to it, aside from maybe Fitz pitchin' Peyton to get him to Arizona. Don't they do the passing camp together every year?

erm ok, i didnt know your homerism was that strong.

Ok well i guess know whatever i'll say you'll just disagree with, you obviously only see things through blue and grey (are their pants grey?) tinted glasses.
????

Maybe you should google FlyingElvis . . . and no, I'm not a skydiver.

MetSox17
Fitz is just making sure he sees most of that $120M contract and all it's incentive bonuses. What a selfish bastard.

Jughead10
02-02-2012, 02:28 PM

Actually mine is. You said you think he would prefer Seattle over AZ.

BeerBaron
02-02-2012, 02:29 PM
Actually mine is. You said you think he would prefer Seattle over AZ.

And my overall argument was Seattle OR Arizona >>> NFC/AFC East destinations.

If it's just Seattle VS. Arizona, I think Seattle would be the better landing spot but not by a whole lot.

SuperPacker
02-02-2012, 02:30 PM
I'm not sold there's a whole lot of meaning to it, aside from maybe Fitz pitchin' Peyton to get him to Arizona. Don't they do the passing camp together every year?

????

Maybe you should google FlyingElvis . . . and no, I'm not a skydiver.

http://users.nehp.net/mitchell/elvis/elvisflying.gif

SuperPacker
02-02-2012, 02:31 PM
San Francisco might be in the market for Manning. Now that would be a Supebowl contender!

FlyingElvis
02-02-2012, 02:33 PM
http://users.nehp.net/mitchell/elvis/elvisflying.gif

Stolen. Thanks!

SuperPacker
02-02-2012, 02:37 PM
Stolen. Thanks!

Ahaha no problem man!

May i complement you on your fine avatar.

EDIT: All I did was google 'FlyingElvis' like you said

bigbluedefense
02-02-2012, 02:42 PM
I really don't care who is more talented. Who the better team is and all that crap. I just want us to win the Super Bowl.

SuperPacker
02-02-2012, 02:48 PM
I really don't care who is more talented. Who the better team is and all that crap. I just want us to win the Super Bowl.

Thats all you can do, HOPE. As much as i hurts not being in the Superbowl, its kinda nice to not have to watch it screaming after every play.

FlyingElvis
02-02-2012, 02:51 PM
Ahaha no problem man!

May i complement you on your fine avatar.

EDIT: All I did was google 'FlyingElvis' like you said

I saw that image before but never clicked it so I didn't know it was an animated gif. Which, frankly, makes it awesome.