PDA

View Full Version : Is Mike Adams a Top 20 Overall Pick?

JohnCandy
01-29-2012, 01:06 PM
During the Senior Bowl week I was impressed with his size and movement ability, but I thought he was a little inconsistent in drills.

After watching the game all I saw was him DOMINATE Melvin Ingram, Courtney Upshaw and Quentin Coples.

Is Mike Adams a LT?

Is he a top 20 pick?

http://www.dispatch.com/content/graphics/2010/09/23/osufb-9-23-art0-gbua0k3j-1-k4o1000-jpg.jpg

vidae
01-29-2012, 01:08 PM
I absolutely think he's a top 20 pick and I think he can play either tackle spot. He is going to be dominant.

SuperPacker
01-29-2012, 01:14 PM
I'd take him over Jonathan Martin and Riley Reiff.

vidae
01-29-2012, 01:17 PM
I'd take him over Jonathan Martin and Riley Reiff.

I would too. I don't love the OT to KC talk, as it has been going on for YEARS, but I'd take Mike Adams in a second, even at 11/12.

Big Bird
01-29-2012, 01:26 PM
Adams was a Top 15 pick BEFORE the Combine. I've been saying this all week. I don't know why it has taken others to come around to a dominating left tackle with excellent physical tools. Did people just ignore him because he missed games this season?

All that happened this week was that Mike Adams reinforced how dominant of a force he can be, and locked up a top 15 selection. Honestly, it's kind of sad how blind most people were that they didn't see the obvious talent this guy had before this week. I seriously question whether or not at least 75% of the people that say they watch college football actually do...

PossibleCabbage
01-29-2012, 01:36 PM
I think I might take Reiff over Kalil (those two are close), but Martin and Adams are close. The real problem with Adams is consistency, and inconsistency is a killer when it comes to offensive tackles. If your OT is solid 95% of the time, but 5% of the time he's a screwup, then your QB is liable to get killed on every 1 of 20 pass plays. QB injuries end seasons for your entire team, so you can't have that.

When it comes to OTs, I would take a guy who's an 8/10 on 99% of attempts every time over a guy who's a 9/10 90% of the time. Other positions are different, but for OTs consistency is incredibly important.

The reason I wouldn't put Adams in the top 20 right now is that while he's the 3rd or 4th OT, he's probably the 5th or 6th OL. He has a PV lean over guys like DeCastro and Konz, but those interior guys are simply better football players. What with Mike Pouncey going before Solder, Castonzo, Carimi, and Sherrod; and Maurkice Pouncey, and Mike Iupati going before Bulaga and Saffold, I could easily see Konz and DeCastro pushing Martin and Adams down the board.

Big Bird
01-29-2012, 02:20 PM
I would agree that DeCastro is at least on the same level as Adams (I view both as Top 10 prospect), but I think Konz belongs more in the late 1st. I have to evaluate him more in-depth because I wasn't expecting him to declare, but I don't see him as a Top 20 pick.

Right now, I would rank the following as 1st Rounders:
1. Matt Kalil (Top 5)
2. Mike Adams (Top 10)
3. David DeCastro (Top 10)
4. Jonathan Martin (Top 20)
5. Riley Reiff (Top 20)
6. Cordy Glenn (Late 1st)
7. Peter Konz (Late 1st)

Mike Brewster and Kelechi Osemele are borderline 1st as well. This OT class has a lot of talent at the top, though I still think Martin and Reiff need work, but the depth is lacking. I had Mitchell Schwartz and James Brown top 10 at the position entering the week, but I believe they have locked up a Top 100 selection and I currently have Schwartz 6th and Brown 7th. Brown might get moved inside to guard though. He is very talented, just needs work. Somebody will be tempted in the 2nd-3rd.

I really like the OG depth though. It's rare you even have two legit 1st Round talents in DeCastro and Glenn, but the next ten guys after that, I wouldn't mind having in the 4th or higher.

Center class is solid too after Konz and Brewster. It seems like everybody is forgetting about Ben Jones, but he is a very talented center as well and belongs in the 2nd. Molk, Blake, and Saulsberry are all looking like 4th-5th to me right now.

keylime_5
01-29-2012, 02:27 PM
I think most Buckeye fans have been saying this kid was a first round lock after his breakout junior year. Not sure why the national pundits took so long to come around, but he's looked like he has since 2010 - great skillset, dominant at times, every once in a while he has a lapse in technique and gets beat (usually on an inside/swim move). I think it's a toss up between Adams, Reiff, and Martin on who will be taken as the 2nd-4th OT after Kalil. Both seem to be in that 10-15 range and all project as franchise left tackles.

Big Bird
01-29-2012, 02:46 PM
I think most Buckeye fans have been saying this kid was a first round lock after his breakout junior year. Not sure why the national pundits took so long to come around, but he's looked like he has since 2010 - great skillset, dominant at times, every once in a while he has a lapse in technique and gets beat (usually on an inside/swim move). I think it's a toss up between Adams, Reiff, and Martin on who will be taken as the 2nd-4th OT after Kalil. Both seem to be in that 10-15 range and all project as franchise left tackles.
Completely agreed. Like I said previously, I really question whether or not some people that say they watch college football actually do.

Adams was a late 1st coming into the year, locked up Top 15 when he came back from suspension, and is looking at Top 10 now.

A Perfect Score
01-29-2012, 02:49 PM
I'm pretty sure TACKLE has been spouting this for months, and I've been on board for a while since he showed me some senior tape of his a while back. Adams just reeks of potential, and I have a really hard time envisioning him getting out of the Top 15 come April. I think he's head and shoulders better then Jonathon Martin and he's right there with Reiff as the #2 OT in this class (I'm a Kalil believer, but I know some out there aren't).

keylime_5
01-29-2012, 02:52 PM
I know there are plenty of draftniks on this and other boards who were all over the Mike Adams train all year long. It seems though like there were virtually no national writers or even private sites like this one, draftdaddy, etc. that had him in the first or top 20 until senior bowl week happened. Most people said "2nd round grade" and possibly late first rounder at best.

Sloopy
01-29-2012, 03:04 PM

This and more this.

We have been pimping this guy for months now.
http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49831&page=2&highlight=mike+adams

I think Mike Adams may end up being the 2nd OT off the board and at worst the 3rd.

As far as him being a LT, absolutely. Could play both but I feel it would be a waist of his talent putting him on the right.

He does have some lapses in technique. Has some issues bending at the waist but certainly coachable stuff.

PossibleCabbage
01-29-2012, 03:14 PM
I think a lot of people in this thread are really underselling Reiff (quite possibly because Iowa doesn't have the national profile or fanbase of Ohio State). Unless something goes very wrong at the combine (failed drug test, serious injury, diagnosis of serious medical condition) the OTs should be Kalil and Reiff in the top 10, and then everybody else in some order.

Adams can easily be a top 20 pick, but I don't see a realistic chance he's the 2nd OT taken.

keylime_5
01-29-2012, 03:17 PM
I don't know if he'll surpass Reiff, but it wouldn't surprise me if he did b/c of his size and upside. It only takes one team, and guys like Mike are the type of players that teams fall in love with. He'll go in that same, 8-15 range at least.

Sloopy
01-29-2012, 03:47 PM
I think a lot of people in this thread are really underselling Reiff (quite possibly because Iowa doesn't have the national profile or fanbase of Ohio State). Unless something goes very wrong at the combine (failed drug test, serious injury, diagnosis of serious medical condition) the OTs should be Kalil and Reiff in the top 10, and then everybody else in some order.

Adams can easily be a top 20 pick, but I don't see a realistic chance he's the 2nd OT taken.

I have not been very impressed with Reiff, he's been consistent but I haven't been wowed by him.

Meanwhile Mike Adams has been on fire.

You also have to consider the fact that Reiff really projects better to the right side than the left (he can certainly play multiple positions along the OL but on a more hole plugging basis). So his positional value is less than that of Adams as well IMO

PossibleCabbage
01-29-2012, 04:03 PM
You also have to consider the fact that Reiff really projects better to the right side than the left (he can certainly play multiple positions along the OL but on a more hole plugging basis). So his positional value is less than that of Adams as well IMO

I think the only reason that people say this is that they look at Reiff, and see Bulaga. Bryan Bulaga was absolutely a better fit for the right side than the left side, but Reiff is a much better athlete than Bulaga (he's also a better athlete than Kalil and Adams).

Kalil has more upside, but I honestly don't see a more sure-fire LT in this draft than Reiff. He's got quick feet, some speed, he's consistent, he's a natural knee bender, he plays with good leverage, he's a very patient pass blocker so he rarely gets beat on counters, and he displays excellent awareness. He's honestly a much better pass blocker than a run blocker, so I don't see why you see him as an RT. Kalil is more of an RT than Reiff, since Kalil is a much nastier run-blocker (and a lesser athlete.)

Halsey
01-29-2012, 04:59 PM
If Adams is the talent that so many are talking about him as, then why can't he go top 10? LT is obviously a valuable position. If a guy is worth a top 20 pick, then he isn't much of a reach for a team in the top 10 that has a real need for a starting LT.

A Perfect Score
01-29-2012, 05:01 PM
If Adams is the talent that so many are talking about him as, then why can't he go top 10? LT is obviously a valuable position. If a guy is worth a top 20 pick, then he isn't much of a reach for a team in the top 10 that has a real need for a starting LT.

After the week he just had, I don't think you'll find anyone who is going to argue with you for putting him in the Top 10. We've seen worse players picked higher. For my money, Mike Adams is every bit the OT prospect that Jason Smith was, and he went #2 overall.

MidwayMonster31
01-29-2012, 05:30 PM
Jason Smith was an upside projection with a weak OT class. Mike Adams can play a lot better than Smith and he has taken on top competition. So yes, I would not be surprised to see Adams picked in the top half of the first round.

LonghornsLegend
01-29-2012, 06:06 PM
I like his fit for Detroit, but they might be slightly out of his range.

jbooshey
01-29-2012, 07:40 PM
I would agree that DeCastro is at least on the same level as Adams (I view both as Top 10 prospect), but I think Konz belongs more in the late 1st. I have to evaluate him more in-depth because I wasn't expecting him to declare, but I don't see him as a Top 20 pick.

Right now, I would rank the following as 1st Rounders:
1. Matt Kalil (Top 5)
2. Mike Adams (Top 10)
3. David DeCastro (Top 10)
4. Jonathan Martin (Top 20)
5. Riley Reiff (Top 20)
6. Cordy Glenn (Late 1st)
7. Peter Konz (Late 1st)

Mike Brewster and Kelechi Osemele are borderline 1st as well. This OT class has a lot of talent at the top, though I still think Martin and Reiff need work, but the depth is lacking. I had Mitchell Schwartz and James Brown top 10 at the position entering the week, but I believe they have locked up a Top 100 selection and I currently have Schwartz 6th and Brown 7th. Brown might get moved inside to guard though. He is very talented, just needs work. Somebody will be tempted in the 2nd-3rd.

I really like the OG depth though. It's rare you even have two legit 1st Round talents in DeCastro and Glenn, but the next ten guys after that, I wouldn't mind having in the 4th or higher.

Center class is solid too after Konz and Brewster. It seems like everybody is forgetting about Ben Jones, but he is a very talented center as well and belongs in the 2nd. Molk, Blake, and Saulsberry are all looking like 4th-5th to me right now.

It seems you are forgetting about Kevin Zeitler...or for some reason you aren't a fan. He is a great guard!

ATLDirtyBirds
01-29-2012, 07:41 PM
I've always been a fan. Right now, I'm just deciding whether I want Adams 2, or Reiff. Close call, think I'm giving Adams the edge.

Big Bird
01-29-2012, 08:52 PM
It seems you are forgetting about Kevin Zeitler...or for some reason you aren't a fan. He is a great guard!
Zeitler is not a 1st Rounder if that's what you're suggesting.

I said I currently have 10 guards in the 2nd-4th range. Zeitler is one of those guards. But he isn't a 1st. Solid 2nd in my book.

bored of education
01-29-2012, 08:54 PM
Chiefs please

FUNBUNCHER
01-29-2012, 09:24 PM
A solid combine and I think Mike Adams' momentum puts him right up there with Reiff/Kalil.

All three of those guys I think go top 10.

He's so fluid for a guy who's 6'7, and with those eleven inch palms and wingspan, IMO Adams looks like a starting LT from Game One.

descendency
01-29-2012, 11:11 PM
Jason Smith was an upside projection with a weak OT class.

Eugene Monroe should have gone 2nd. He was clearly a better OT.

Iamcanadian
01-30-2012, 07:28 AM
I don't see him quite that high. He reminds me a lot of Nate Solder, the OT NE drafted last year in round 1. IMO, he won't be drafted ahead of Reiff or Martin and will be the 4th OT taken in the draft.
The Senior Bowl is nice but one always has to remember that the strength of any draft is the junior class and until you match up at the combine, you really haven't proved a whole lot.

K Train
01-30-2012, 07:52 AM
Jason Smith was an upside projection with a weak OT class. Mike Adams can play a lot better than Smith and he has taken on top competition. So yes, I would not be surprised to see Adams picked in the top half of the first round.

captain hindsight? j. smith, a. smith, oher, and monroe was hardly considered a weak OT class....it had the potential to be legendary

Sloopy
01-30-2012, 09:41 AM
I don't see him quite that high. He reminds me a lot of Nate Solder, the OT NE drafted last year in round 1.

Say what now?

Nate Solder was a converted TE who was athletic but in now way was on the same level with Adams in terms of strength.

IMO, he won't be drafted ahead of Reiff or Martin and will be the 4th OT taken in the draft.

The Senior Bowl is nice but one always has to remember that the strength of any draft is the junior class and until you match up at the combine, you really haven't proved a whole lot.

A. This doesn't automatically mean that the seniors are below the juniors in every case

B. It's not just a senior bowl that he put up. Dude has put up solid play the last two years as well.

SRogers92
01-30-2012, 11:53 PM
I don't buy the Adams hype.

I don't think he'll be able to play LT at an elite level in the NFL and RTs don't go that high in the draft. The combine will be huge for him to show that he has the athleticism to play OLT. He wasn't very dominant in the games he played for OSU this year, either -- so it's not like you have a Jake Long out there that people are questioning his physical tools.

He sort of reminds of Michael Oher, so if he does grade out better physically than him, he could make a jump. Top 10 is a little high for him, IMO.

Iamcanadian
01-31-2012, 10:38 AM
Say what now?

Nate Solder was a converted TE who was athletic but in now way was on the same level with Adams in terms of strength.

Both of these OT's are large athletic types who who have the feet to plat LT. Strength wasn't Solder's problem, it was technique that he needed to work on.

A. This doesn't automatically mean that the seniors are below the juniors in every case

I'd say only about 6 seniors will be 1st round picks in this year's draft and juniors tend to dominate because their upside is so much greater than the seniors.

B. It's not just a senior bowl that he put up. Dude has put up solid play the last two years as well.

The Senior Bowl has a huge baring on where a player gets drafted. There he has to face pro prospects who have real strength, feet, and speed which he rarely saw in college.

Big Bird
01-31-2012, 10:39 AM

I don't think he'll be able to play LT at an elite level in the NFL and RTs don't go that high in the draft. The combine will be huge for him to show that he has the athleticism to play OLT. He wasn't very dominant in the games he played for OSU this year, either -- so it's not like you have a Jake Long out there that people are questioning his physical tools.

He sort of reminds of Michael Oher, so if he does grade out better physically than him, he could make a jump. Top 10 is a little high for him, IMO.
What about this guy makes you question his athletic ability at all? The guy is an excellent athlete for the position, it's one of his biggest positives.

People seriously baffle me with statements like this. Is it that hard to catch an Ohio State game?

A Perfect Score
01-31-2012, 10:58 AM

With the way the NFL has evolved and the proliferation of the 3-4, RT is just as important as LT. Most teams have, or at least strive to have, a dynamic pass rusher on each side of the ball. Andre Smith was a guy that went Top 10 with doubts about his ability to play LT, as did Jake Long. Tyron Smith is another guy who went Top 10, and I believe he started all year at RT for the Cowboys. Positional value for the LT position is highly inflated; you need to keep your QB upright, it doesn't matter which direction the pass rush is coming from.

Now, even if that wasn't the case, as the above poster said, the questions surrounding Mike Adams aren't rooted in his athleticism. He's highly athletic. It's the inconsistency that plagued in him college that will give NFL evaluators trouble. That said, we've seen time and time again that teams are willing to gamble on their ability to teach consistency in exchange for potential, and it's one of the reasons Adams will go so high on draft day.

I think a surprise landing spot for Adams might be Philly. They love drafting lineman high, they've had some issues along the offensive line, and Adams would give them some flexibility there. That pick wouldn't shock me whatsoever.

Iamcanadian
01-31-2012, 11:12 AM
[QUOTE=A Perfect Score;2845196]With the way the NFL has evolved and the proliferation of the 3-4, RT is just as important as LT. Most teams have, or at least strive to have, a dynamic pass rusher on each side of the ball. Andre Smith was a guy that went Top 10 with doubts about his ability to play LT, as did Jake Long. Tyron Smith is another guy who went Top 10, and I believe he started all year at RT for the Cowboys. Positional value for the LT position is highly inflated; you need to keep your QB upright, it doesn't matter which direction the pass rush is coming from.

I have to completely disagree with this assessment. LT is far more important than RT by a mile. The LT protects a QB's blindside where he has no idea what is happening, the vast majority of great pass rushers attack from the RE position, sure the occasional team has 2 good pass rushers but that is still quite rare.
A lot of OT's start at RT before moving to LT if they show they have the ability to handle the job. Few teams will throw in a rookie at LT unless they want their QB killed.
Teams have and continue to draft LT's high in the draft because they know full well the importance of the LT position, RT's are a dime a dozen and never get drafted very high in round 1. Sure, players like Andre Smith end up at RT permanently but it is because they haven't demonstrated to their team, the ability to play LT better than the player they already have playing there.

bitonti
01-31-2012, 11:16 AM
outlandish statement of the day: Mike Adams is actually the best tackle in this crop. Kalil is the only one who compares and Adams has 20 pounds on him. Adams needs to improve upper body but he's got rare feet for a legit 6'7" player. Just like how Solder ended up being the best OT of that group, Adams could be the best of this group.

Big Bird
01-31-2012, 11:20 AM
outlandish statement of the day: Mike Adams is actually the best tackle in this crop. Kalil is the only one who compares and Adams has 20 pounds on him. Adams needs to improve upper body but he's got rare feet for a legit 6'7" player. Just like how Solder ended up being the best OT of that group, Adams could be the best of this group.
Completely agree. I still like Kalil a bit more (I have Kalil as my #2 prospect in the Draft), but I have Mike Adams Top 10.

keylime_5
01-31-2012, 11:23 AM
Adams and Kalil were the top two tackles coming out of high school in 2008. Kalil was #1 rated most of the year (and Tyron Smith was rated highly as well) but I think Adams overtook them both after dominating in the Army All-American game.

Adams has more size/strength than the other top tackles and has plenty of great tape to back up his showings in senior bowl week, not to mention comparable athleticism. Teams fall in love with the size and upside factor all the time, I wouldn't be surprised if Adams is the 2nd tackle taken...but it could very well fall like 'Canadian said and Reiff and Martin could be #2 and 3 with strong combine and pro day workouts. Adams certainly put the pressure on those two guys to have a big performance though. Dominating that south D-Line in Mobile was quite a feat.

Sloopy
01-31-2012, 11:29 AM

Lol @ this. Athleticism isn't the question on this guy. Dude has great feet and athleticism to play LT along with size and strength.

Issue is that he has some lapses in technique at time.

As far as not being dominant in games; what games were you watching? Some games the dude was a wall and his junior season was awesome.

Bv2pQBkBDrk

Not his most dominant game but the only one I could find.

Gets beat on one or two inside moves and stunts but these are some of the technique things he needs to work on.

For the most part does a good job locking onto defenders. Pushing blocks and getting to the second level in the run game. Handles bull rushes and outside speed rushers well. Even gets out on a screen play and does some blocking downfield.

This isn't his greatest game but I don't see how you can question his athleticism here, nor his ability to play LT.

Is he perfect? No, he needs to work on some of his technique etc. but then again we aren't talking top 5 pick. However, some team who needs a LT in the top 10 and isn't sold on Martin might just take him.

Leon Sandcastle
01-31-2012, 04:06 PM
Like him a lot more than Jonathan Martin and Riley Reiff. Could be in contention for the Bills at #10.

ellsy82
01-31-2012, 04:11 PM
Like him a lot more than Jonathan Martin and Riley Reiff. Could be in contention for the Bills at #10.

Really...and WHY do you like him a lot more than Martin or Reiff?

RaiderNation
01-31-2012, 05:54 PM
I put him in front of Martin in my next big board, and is now the #16 ranked prospect...

ellsy82
01-31-2012, 07:20 PM
I put him in front of Martin in my next big board, and is now the #16 ranked prospect...

Dude looks slow as hell in the games I've watched him. Like he doesn't care. Or as a scout I know says, "lethargic".

RaiderNation
01-31-2012, 07:36 PM
Dude looks slow as hell in the games I've watched him. Like he doesn't care. Or as a scout I know says, "lethargic".

At times Adams was inconsistent, but overall he has impressed me as a legit 1st round pick. He looked like the best OT at the Senior Bowl, and had a chance to be the 3rd OT drafted behind Kalil and Reiff.

ellsy82
01-31-2012, 07:50 PM
At times Adams was inconsistent, but overall he has impressed me as a legit 1st round pick. He looked like the best OT at the Senior Bowl, and had a chance to be the 3rd OT drafted behind Kalil and Reiff.

I'll somewhat agree with that. I think he'll have an uphill battle between Martin and Sanders for that 3rd spot. Though, I expect Sanders to lose that battle outright due to lack of ceiling.

bored of education
01-31-2012, 07:59 PM
Sanders seems so soft. He is Tony Ugoh part 2.

PoopSandwich
01-31-2012, 08:32 PM
Browns could get lucky if he falls to 22. If we snag a wide receiver or two in free agency and are able to get Griffin, right tackle is a massive hole for us...

We'd also have two mike adams on the roster which would be pretty ******* boss

Sloopy
01-31-2012, 08:51 PM

Not quite sure what games you were watching.

He had some problems with consistency this season but he also was suspended to start the season. I'm assuming this affected him in some ways. Not completely excusing it, but when he has been on, he has looked good.

Meanwhile Martin has been rather unimpressive this season.

Reiff certainly presents a challenge to him as the #2 OT. I honestly would be glad to have either on my team. I prefer Adams but thats obvious.

hmS0XmkMeJ0

Reiff certainly has the athleticism and feet to play LT at the next level but I am slightly concerned with his tendency to overextend himself and thus get off balance. He also seems to have some serious trouble with the bull rush. Sometimes seems to have trouble getting push in the run game.

His athleticism is nice and doesn't seem to have trouble hitting targets at the second level. His feet are good and guys can't go around the horn on him. Sometimes struggles with inside rushers but his technique is still pretty good.

He has been consistent over his career which is nice.

Leon Sandcastle
02-03-2012, 04:17 PM

Bigger, stronger, excels in both pass protection and running and he probably has a higher ceiling than both Martin and Reilly.

To me it's Kalil, Adams, Reiff and Martin in that order.

DraftSavant
02-03-2012, 04:32 PM
STILL DONT UNDERSTAND THE MARTIN FASCINATION sadfsd

SchizophrenicBatman
02-03-2012, 04:49 PM
Martin sucks

vidae
02-03-2012, 04:50 PM

I don't either. Every time I see him play I think of one word: soft.

A Perfect Score
02-03-2012, 04:51 PM

Martin is a 2nd round prospect IMO. 36-40.

bored of education
02-03-2012, 09:11 PM
I don't either. Every time I see him play I think of one word: soft.

He is Tony Ugoh 2.0. His upside is a very ok LT at best or out of the league in 3 years.

SenorGato
02-03-2012, 10:01 PM
Eugene Monroe should have gone 2nd. He was clearly a better OT.

+ he was coming out of a school that had just pumped out two pretty damn good pro LTs in D'Brick and Albert.

SenorGato
02-03-2012, 10:03 PM

Well to start he's bigger than both...stronger and more physically dominant too...Adams is easy to come around on IMO.