PDA

View Full Version : Justin Blackmon or Robert Woods?

Thunder&Lightning
01-30-2012, 03:45 PM
Pretty much who would you rather have?

Spaceboy1
01-30-2012, 03:52 PM
Woods... No Doubt

RaiderNation
01-30-2012, 04:12 PM
I'd go with Woods. Blackmon will be a top 10 pick and a very productive NFL WR, but I don't see Calvin Johnson/AJ Green type of talent. Woods is a much better athlete than Blackmon and is set to have a potential All American season next season with Barkley returning. Blackmon reminds me of a mix between Anquan Boldin and Hakeem Nicks.

DraftSavant
01-30-2012, 04:18 PM
Woods. Not close.

FUNBUNCHER
01-30-2012, 04:39 PM
Give me this dude.

http://i.usatoday.net/communitymanager/_photos/campus-rivalry/2011/07/18/crinerx-large.jpg

IMO Criner has the most star potential at the next level of all the WRs in this draft.
If he beasts his 40, he's going to make a strong case for going in the top 25.

About the OP's question, I think Blackmon is getting a bit underrated.
Both he and Woods are about the same size, Woods looks a little more explosive on tape.
Woods won't be eligible until 2013, so if I'm gonna take Blackmon.

TACKLE
01-30-2012, 05:14 PM
Robert Woods all day, every day.

SickwithIt1010
01-30-2012, 11:31 PM
Woods. Getting to watch this kid every week has been one helluva treat. The guy is very explosive and is a very good route runner, good blocker, and just has that drive you want to see. Hes got the ability to beat you deep and catch the ball over the middle, hes my favorite WR from my time watching SC. He has some concentration drops every once and a while, and sometimes goes for the big play rather than just taking what is given to him but those arent the worst things in the world.

JRTPlaya21
01-30-2012, 11:43 PM
Neither. Give me Sammy Watkins :)

SRogers92
01-30-2012, 11:48 PM
Blackmon.

Can't wait until he metaphorically teabags everyone on this site that continues to rank other guys above him. Dez Bryant, Michael Floyd, and now Woods. In Bart Scott's famous words, "can't wait!"

BRAVEHEART
01-30-2012, 11:56 PM
As a USC fan, Woods is more polished, and a better overall player, but Blackmon has more potential and better size. Woods is a very safe bet, and I'd take him over Blackmon 8/10 times....but I wouldn't sell Blackmon short since his ceiling is higher.

ElectricEye
01-31-2012, 12:03 AM
I'm going to buck the trend a little bit and go Blackmon. At least for now. Woods still needs to sell me on the fact he can be a downfield weapon. Whenever I see him, he never really seems to be running by people or generating a ton of separation. He seems to be a very smart player that catches everything thrown his way, but most of his big plays seem to come when he adjusts his route and finds space. Seems to be more of a volume catcher and a guy who makes plays after the catch than a guy who can take the top off of a defense. I don't know, maybe I'm just not seeing it...but I don't see an elite player. I'm not the biggest Blackmon guy in the world either, but I feel safer about his play style working in the NFL because of the size advantage he has.

As I said, it's still very early. Woods is all 19 with two years of very strong film. Well within his reach to convince me that he'll be the better of the two, but I guess I'm just not the biggest Woods guy early on.

prock
01-31-2012, 12:29 AM
Gimme Woods, but it is almost criminal how much this site is starting to underrate Blackmon.

fenikz
01-31-2012, 05:51 AM
Woods > Watkins > Lee > Blackmon

DiG
01-31-2012, 07:01 AM
I'm going to buck the trend a little bit and go Blackmon. At least for now. Woods still needs to sell me on the fact he can be a downfield weapon. Whenever I see him, he never really seems to be running by people or generating a ton of separation. He seems to be a very smart player that catches everything thrown his way, but most of his big plays seem to come when he adjusts his route and finds space.

As I said, it's still very early. Woods is all 19 with two years of very strong film. Well within his reach to convince me that he'll be the better of the two, but I guess I'm just not the biggest Woods guy early on.

I pretty much agree with this. Blackmon right now vs Woods right now, I'll take Blackmon.

Iamcanadian
01-31-2012, 10:24 AM
I'll wait till they run their 40's to see which one has the speed to be elite. Right now, I'd say they are pretty even in talent although Blackmon has shown a lot more ability to go deep than Woods but that might just be the system their HC uses.

Mitchell
01-31-2012, 10:26 AM
Blackmon >> Woods

Are you guys being serious? WOW!

SenorGato
01-31-2012, 10:29 AM
Gimme Woods, but it is almost criminal how much this site is starting to underrate Blackmon.

+1

Give me Blackmon between these two right now.

Big Bird
01-31-2012, 11:00 AM
Are people trying to question Robert Woods speed?

Let me put this into context for you. Robert Woods ran 21.04 200 meter in high school. Chris Johnson, 21.3.

Roberts Woods made the All-USA high school track and field team as a Senior in High School. And then on top of that, Woods has great hands, concentration, and is an amazing route runner. The guy is a precise route runner.

I like Blackmon, but Woods is a special, special talent. Honestly, it isn't even close.

EDIT: According to USC, Woods best 200 meter time was actually 21.01, which was the fourth fastest time in the nation in 2010.

Razor
01-31-2012, 11:36 AM
Robert Woods all day, every day.

This. I think woods would be a top three player this year if he could declare.

descendency
01-31-2012, 11:40 AM
Blackmon is the better player right now. Woods will have another season to show he can take his game to the next level.

Iamcanadian
01-31-2012, 11:52 AM
Are people trying to question Robert Woods speed?

Let me put this into context for you. Robert Woods ran 21.04 200 meter in high school. Chris Johnson, 21.3.

Roberts Woods made the All-USA high school track and field team as a Senior in High School. And then on top of that, Woods has great hands, concentration, and is an amazing route runner. The guy is a precise route runner.

I like Blackmon, but Woods is a special, special talent. Honestly, it isn't even close.

EDIT: According to USC, Woods best 200 meter time was actually 21.01, which was the fourth fastest time in the nation in 2010.

Being a top 200 meter runner doesn't mean a whole lot when running 40 yards. Lots of 200 meter runners cannot do even a decent 40 time.
I'm not saying Woods is necessarily a slow 40 yard runner but until he runs a 40, we just don't know.
He catches most of his balls on short outs and crosses, USC rarely asks him to run a deep pattern so there is no way to tell just how fast a 40 he runs.

Punisher
01-31-2012, 11:54 AM
I'm going to buck the trend a little bit and go Blackmon. At least for now. Woods still needs to sell me on the fact he can be a downfield weapon.

I'm hoping this a joke...

Robert Woods is one of the best deep threats in the nation. The reason you may be in question is because Lane likes to use Robert underneath because he's explosive in the open field and break off those 50-70 yards YAC he's prone to do. Robert Woods is easily a 4.3 guy too.

Iamcanadian
01-31-2012, 12:02 PM

Robert Woods is one of the best deep threats in the nation. The reason you may be in question is because Lane likes to use Robert underneath because he's explosive in the open field and break off those 50-70 yards YAC he's prone to do. Robert Woods is easily a 4.3 guy too.

If he's as fast as you say then why wouldn't Lane make him that kind of weapon in his offense with a QB like Barkley throwing him the ball.
So far, I haven't seen 4.3 speed, I've seen a solid route runner who catches a lot of short passes.
I hope he turns out to be a dynamic receiver with 4.3 speed and is an elite prospect, but I haven't seen a whole lot yet to indicate he is that prospect. Maybe Lane will turn him loose next season.

Big Bird
01-31-2012, 12:09 PM
Blackmon is the better player right now. Woods will have another season to show he can take his game to the next level.
What level? Woods put up identical numbers to Blackmon, yet he doesn't play in a spread and has much better surrounding talent for the ball to be given to.

And Woods is a superior route runner to Blackmon, and it's not even close.

Being a top 200 meter runner doesn't mean a whole lot when running 40 yards. Lots of 200 meter runners cannot do even a decent 40 time.
I'm not saying Woods is necessarily a slow 40 yard runner but until he runs a 40, we just don't know.
He catches most of his balls on short outs and crosses, USC rarely asks him to run a deep pattern so there is no way to tell just how fast a 40 he runs.
Or you could see how ridiculous quick he is off the line, in and out of breaks. Or see how all the huge plays he has after catch. Or (crazy notion coming up), you could actually watch the games and realize Woods does runs his share of deep routes. It's not his fault Barkley isn't giving him the rock. One play against Arizona State, Woods flat out burnt the entire defense, and Barkley overthrew him. And according to you, that's probably Robert Woods fault, correct?

People have a hard time realizing that a player can't do something he isn't being asked to do by his offense.

Robert Woods already ran in the 4.4's in high school and has already proven to be one of the fastest athletes (athlete, not just football player) in the entire nation. Only reason people are trying to doubt this guy is because of speed, but all you have to do is actually watch the games to see he clearly has plenty of it.

Punisher
01-31-2012, 12:15 PM
If he's as fast as you say then why wouldn't Lane make him that kind of weapon in his offense with a QB like Barkley throwing him the ball.
So far, I haven't seen 4.3 speed, I've seen a solid route runner who catches a lot of short passes.
I hope he turns out to be a dynamic receiver with 4.3 speed and is an elite prospect, but I haven't seen a whole lot yet to indicate he is that prospect. Maybe Lane will turn him loose next season.

You can do your research with highlight video all day. I've watched Robert since he was in high school, and had the chance to watch him live on 4 different occasions collegiality. He doesn't have an initial burst of a Marqise Lee or George Farmer but when he hits his stride no one is close to him.

To your last comment, you and I both my friend. If George Farmer, Marqise Lee, and Robert Woods all produce this could go down as one of the best receiving corps ever in college.

Razor
01-31-2012, 12:16 PM

Robert Woods is not "easily a 4.3 guy" but I could see him running in the low 4.4s. He might look a but slow at times, but he often has to wait for the ball since Barkley's arm is soooooo overrated. What really seperates Woods from Blackmon and most other receivers is his crisp route running ability, his elusiveness and superior hands. Rarely have I seen a player with the concentration level of Woods. Great, great hands and ability to create something after the catch. He can also help in the running game. I think he's an elite prospect at the receiver position, Blackmon is not.

Punisher
01-31-2012, 12:22 PM
Rarely have I seen a player with the concentration level of Woods.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiihTyOR9VU

http://grfx.cstv.com/schools/usc/blog/Woods-Behind-Head-SooHoo.jpg

A Perfect Score
01-31-2012, 12:29 PM
Don't get me wrong, I like Robert Woods, but Blackmon is getting severely handicapped around these parts, and very unfairly. He's not quite the overall physical specimen that AJ Green or Dez Bryant was, but I'll be very shocked if his 40 time isn't somewhere between what those 2 ran (4.48 for Green, 4.52 for Bryant if I'm not mistaken). On top of that, he's a 6'1 220 pound bowling ball of a receiver who runs routes as well as anyone at the college level. The man is a technician already. The way he sets up DBs, keep his hips low when cutting, doesn't round off the top of his routes and runs after the catch are all things that are going to make him very, very successful at the NFL level. The Anquan Boldin/Roddy White/Hakeem Nicks comparisons are all very good, and that's exactly the type of player I expect him to be in the NFL. The guy is a legit #1 receiver, I honestly don't understand the hate.

It's like anyone who doesn't run sub 4.4 these days is immediately disregarded as someone who won't be able to get separation in the NFL. Larry Fitzgerald, Marques Colston, Brandon Marshall, Dwayne Bowe, Steve Johnson, Reggie Wayne, Roddy White, Hakeem Nicks, etc. are all very good receivers who have been very successful as NFL players doing the exact same types of things that Blackmon does very well.

DraftSavant
01-31-2012, 12:37 PM
Robert Woods is not "easily a 4.3 guy" but I could see him running in the low 4.4s. He might look a but slow at times, but he often has to wait for the ball since Barkley's arm is soooooo overrated. What really seperates Woods from Blackmon and most other receivers is his crisp route running ability, his elusiveness and superior hands. Rarely have I seen a player with the concentration level of Woods. Great, great hands and ability to create something after the catch. He can also help in the running game. I think he's an elite prospect at the receiver position, Blackmon is not.

YAIS. The USC offense is designed around Matt Barkley's physical limitations. If Robert Woods' stock starts getting hurt because of Matt Barkley, I am going to be incredibly furious. There IS NO Matt Barkley without Robert Woods.

If you don't think Robert Woods is a deep threat, I honestly don't know which USC team you've been watching. Dude was their entire offense until Marquise Lee got going.

djp
01-31-2012, 12:41 PM
Robert Woods is the complete package as a WR and I think he's clearly the better prospect between he and Blackmon. One thing that I don't think Woods gets credit for is his run blocking, I saw him pancake two guys on Stanford in one play, one of them being a linebacker, during a long run for SC in that game.

DraftSavant
01-31-2012, 12:41 PM
Don't get me wrong, I like Robert Woods, but Blackmon is getting severely handicapped around these parts, and very unfairly. He's not quite the overall physical specimen that AJ Green or Dez Bryant was, but I'll be very shocked if his 40 time isn't somewhere between what those 2 ran (4.48 for Green, 4.52 for Bryant if I'm not mistaken). On top of that, he's a 6'1 220 pound bowling ball of a receiver who runs routes as well as anyone at the college level. The man is a technician already. The way he sets up DBs, keep his hips low when cutting, doesn't round off the top of his routes and runs after the catch are all things that are going to make him very, very successful at the NFL level. The Anquan Boldin/Roddy White/Hakeem Nicks comparisons are all very good, and that's exactly the type of player I expect him to be in the NFL. The guy is a legit #1 receiver, I honestly don't understand the hate.

It's like anyone who doesn't run sub 4.4 these days is immediately disregarded as someone who won't be able to get separation in the NFL. Larry Fitzgerald, Marques Colston, Brandon Marshall, Dwayne Bowe, Steve Johnson, Reggie Wayne, Roddy White, Hakeem Nicks, etc. are all very good receivers who have been very successful as NFL players doing the exact same types of things that Blackmon does very well.

It's not so much Blackmon's fault...it's the fact that he's seen legit press coverage maybe twice in his entire life (Nebraska last year, where he raped Prince and Dennard and against Leonard Johnson this year, where he had 10 catches for 99 yards in a double overtime game. Stanford tried doing it in the first half of the bowl game, too, but their secondary athletes are lulz.

Like I said...not really his fault. Blame the OSU offense and the **** Big 12 defenses that are forced to run soft zone for days.

A Perfect Score
01-31-2012, 12:46 PM
It's not so much Blackmon's fault...it's the fact that he's seen legit press coverage maybe twice in his entire life (Nebraska last year, where he raped Prince and Dennard and against Leonard Johnson this year, where he had 10 catches for 99 yards in a double overtime game. Stanford tried doing it in the first half of the bowl game, too, but their secondary athletes are lulz.

Like I said...not really his fault. Blame the OSU offense and the **** Big 12 defenses that are forced to run soft zone for days.

When I want to show people who Justin Blackmon is, I recommend going and watching that game. Admittedly, the flea flicker was just a play where Prince got caught, but he also had 2 or 3 PI calls on Blackmon deep down the field after he got absolutely torched. And that's Blackmon doing it against a Top 20 pick and a guy who will probably go in the 2nd round this year (Dennard). I know there are some concerns, but damn dude. I don't know what else Blackmon would have had to do in college to impress some people. Look at his last 2 seasons:

2010: 111 receptions, 1782 yards, 16.1 YPC, 20 TDs
2011: 121 receptions, 1522 yards, 12.6 YPC, 18 TDs

That is absolutely insane production from a pro-ready wideout with good, not great physical tools. I don't think he's worth a Top 5 pick either, but he's absolutely worth a Top 10 pick IMO.

EDIT: Also, who cares about Robert Woods? My boy Keenen Allen will represent next year. Dude is going to be a highlight reel this season. Starting the hype train now.

Razor
01-31-2012, 12:57 PM
YAIS. The USC offense is designed around Matt Barkley's physical limitations. If Robert Woods' stock starts getting hurt because of Matt Barkley, I am going to be incredibly furious. There IS NO Matt Barkley without Robert Woods.

If you don't think Robert Woods is a deep threat, I honestly don't know which USC team you've been watching. Dude was their entire offense until Marquise Lee got going.

I never said that I don't think that Woods is a deep threat, because I do. I think he's a threat where ever he lines up or what ever route he runs. I just don't think he's a 4.3 guy. And I actually think higher of Woods because he produces in spite of Barkley instead of because of Barkley. I think you misunderstood what I was saying.

DraftSavant
01-31-2012, 01:25 PM
I never said that I don't think that Woods is a deep threat, because I do. I think he's a threat where ever he lines up or what ever route he runs. I just don't think he's a 4.3 guy. And I actually think higher of Woods because he produces in spite of Barkley instead of because of Barkley. I think you misunderstood what I was saying.

...I was agreeing with you.

By saying "if you don't think Robert Woods is a deep threat" was to people posting in this thread, in general. Wasn't very clear with that, my bad. I suck at writing.

A Perfect Score
01-31-2012, 01:27 PM
...I was agreeing with you.

By saying "if you don't think Robert Woods is a deep threat" was to people posting in this thread, in general. Wasn't very clear with that, my bad. I suck at writing.

Well I think we all knew that already. You're also wildly uninformed. Take that!

ElectricEye
01-31-2012, 01:27 PM
EDIT: Also, who cares about Robert Woods? My boy Keenen Allen will represent next year. Dude is going to be a highlight reel this season. Starting the hype train now.

I'm jumping on early with you. Let's do this.

JRTPlaya21
01-31-2012, 01:32 PM
I'm jumping on early with you. Let's do this.

Man I've been aboard. That kid balls out in spite of his scrub brother at QB.

BamaFalcon59
01-31-2012, 01:40 PM
It's like comparing Marvin Harrison to Hakeem Nicks, and I'll take Harrison.

Punisher
01-31-2012, 01:55 PM
It's like comparing Marvin Harrison to Hakeem Nicks, and I'll take Harrison.

Except Robert Woods is bigger and stronger than Harrison. Plus let's be honest, Harrison looked plain awkward running in the open field.

SRogers92
01-31-2012, 02:06 PM
Except Robert Woods is bigger and stronger than Harrison. Plus let's be honest, Harrison looked plain awkward running in the open field.

And Blackmon will time out faster and bigger/stronger than Nicks -- what's your point? Oh yeah, you're a huge USC homer. Carry on.

1crazyredskinsfan
01-31-2012, 02:11 PM
Blackmon is getting all the media,but woods is damn good too.i don't see a megatron clone when i look at either,however both of them are as good as julio jones was coming out of bama.i like blackmon a bit more cause i have seen him more,but how could anybody not be happy with either?

SRogers92
01-31-2012, 02:21 PM
What level? Woods put up identical numbers to Blackmon, yet he doesn't play in a spread and has much better surrounding talent for the ball to be given to.

Cute -- this works both ways.

First of all -- Woods put up 10 less catches, 230 less yards and 3 less TDs. Identical? Even if Woods does play in a bowl game, he probably doesn't approach those numbers.

Secondly -- playing in the spread is nice and all, but -- Blackmon didn't have Matthew Barkley throwing to him. He didn't have probably the #1 overall pick next season throwing him passes, he had a guy who will not go until late in the draft, if at all. As you previously stated -- Blackmon was "the guy" in that offense so it's much, much easier to double team him and try to take him out of the GP than a Robert Woods who is surrounded by a lot of talented guys.

I'm not sure how Blackmon playing with LESS talent around him degrades his production or value. If anything, it increases it. If they had lost a bunch of games, I could see your point, but -- he almost carried them to a National Title game.

Thirdly -- Woods plays in the Pac 12. So, before anyone starts using the "Blackmon didn't play against any good defenses!!" card try and look at the Pac 12. Actually, a few people have already used that card which is dumb as ****. The Pac 12 could easily be the worst defensive conference for a supposed "power" conference there is out there. That argument holds NO water.

P-L
01-31-2012, 02:35 PM
I like Blackmon a lot, but I'd definitely take Robert Woods over him. Woods is just so good at everything. His explosiveness makes him an elite deep threat, but he's not just a deep threat either. He's a very good route runner who is excellent in the middle of the field. His combination of speed, explosiveness, and catching ability is extremely rare. If you had to nitpick, you'd maybe want him to gain a little weight but you wouldn't want him to lose any speed.

TitansCJftw
01-31-2012, 02:49 PM
Count me in on the keenan allen train, choo! Choo!

ElectricEye
01-31-2012, 03:03 PM

It's absolutely not a joke. Disagree entirely with him being "easily a 4.3 guy". If he is, I don't see it showing up in the games. Guys stay with him in a straight line. The majority of his plays down the field, there's a defender not too far behind him. In and out of his breaks is another story entirely, but that's not what I'm trying to say.

Don't get me wrong, I think Woods is a very good prospect there's probably some things that go into him not having the type of numbers a guy with speed would typically produce, but I definitely don't see him as the special guy some are making him out to be, especially physically. Not yet, at least. I'm almost willing to guarantee the tone of the conversation on him will change by this time next year if things stay the way they are, similar to what occurred with Blackmon.

ellsy82
01-31-2012, 03:06 PM
+1

Give me Blackmon between these two right now.

+2

Although, I will say that given another couple of years...Woods could really be something special...or the next DeVier Posey.

I will say this though...give Woods another year, and he very well could be on the same level of Blackmon. Given another year, Woods could put on some weight and be able to stand up against pro corners much better than could right now.

I pick Blackmon for many reasons, but for nothing else, he's more capable to hold up against NFL secondaries. Both would be productive rookies either way, if Woods could declare this year, that is.

Punisher
01-31-2012, 03:25 PM
And Blackmon will time out faster and bigger/stronger than Nicks -- what's your point? Oh yeah, you're a huge USC homer. Carry on.

I wasn't saying anything about Blackmon.

In fact I think Blackmon becomes the better NFL player. I just needed to clear up all the rumors of Robert's deep threat ability.

Also SRogers92, you comparing Blackmon's stats to Robert Woods, AND saying the offenses they played in doesn't add to the equation is borderline *******.

Big Bird
01-31-2012, 03:51 PM
Blackmon will probably actually test out very similar to Nicks, seeing as Blackmon will probably measure in at around 6-1, 6-1 and a 1/2, 215 lbs., and run a low 4.5, just like Nicks.

Cute -- this works both ways.

First of all -- Woods put up 10 less catches, 230 less yards and 3 less TDs. Identical? Even if Woods does play in a bowl game, he probably doesn't approach those numbers.

Secondly -- playing in the spread is nice and all, but -- Blackmon didn't have Matthew Barkley throwing to him. He didn't have probably the #1 overall pick next season throwing him passes, he had a guy who will not go until late in the draft, if at all. As you previously stated -- Blackmon was "the guy" in that offense so it's much, much easier to double team him and try to take him out of the GP than a Robert Woods who is surrounded by a lot of talented guys.

I'm not sure how Blackmon playing with LESS talent around him degrades his production or value. If anything, it increases it. If they had lost a bunch of games, I could see your point, but -- he almost carried them to a National Title game.

Thirdly -- Woods plays in the Pac 12. So, before anyone starts using the "Blackmon didn't play against any good defenses!!" card try and look at the Pac 12. Actually, a few people have already used that card which is dumb as ****. The Pac 12 could easily be the worst defensive conference for a supposed "power" conference there is out there. That argument holds NO water.
Woods played in one less game, and with what he averaged on the season, he would've ended up with 1 less catch, 123 less Yards, and two less touchdowns.

Did you seriously just say Brandon Weeden, who drew rave reviews as arguably the best qb at the Senior Bowl, might not get drafted? I'm not even a Weeden fan, and that's absurd. Plus, Barkley is very overrated. The reason Woods isn't featured as a deep threat is because of Barkley. His deep ball is wildly inaccurate. Reminds me of a former USC qb (cough Mark Sanchez cough).

And, a wide receiver did not almost carry his team to a national championship. USC has more talent to spread the ball around too than Oklahoma State does, so the Cowboys are obviously going to go towards Blackmon more than USC to Woods. The fact Woods even comes close to Blackmon's numbers despite the surrounding talent and offense is phenomenal.

And finally, I never said anything about the defenses they faced. But, there is a legitimate argument in talking about common opponents, correct? Both players faced Arizona and Stanford. Here is their average for those two games:
Justin Blackmon - 10 Receptions, 157 Receiving Yards, 2.5 Touchdowns
Robert Woods - 11.5 Receptions, 172 Receiving Yards, 1.5 Touchdowns

Also, Barkley averaged 5.5 less attempts than Weeden in those two games, giving Woods 5.5 less chances than Blackmon to catch the ball.

descendency
01-31-2012, 03:52 PM
If you had to nitpick, you'd maybe want him to gain a little weight but you wouldn't want him to lose any speed.

Yeah. At 6'1", 180 lbs... he's going to be (at best) an effective blocker at the next level.

prock
01-31-2012, 04:04 PM
Blackmon will probably actually test out very similar to Nicks, seeing as Blackmon will probably measure in at around 6-1, 6-1 and a 1/2, 215 lbs., and run a low 4.5, just like Nicks.

Woods played in one less game, and with what he averaged on the season, he would've ended up with 1 less catch, 123 less Yards, and two less touchdowns.

Did you seriously just say Brandon Weeden, who drew rave reviews as arguably the best qb at the Senior Bowl, might not get drafted? I'm not even a Weeden fan, and that's absurd. Plus, Barkley is very overrated. The reason Woods isn't featured as a deep threat is because of Barkley. His deep ball is wildly inaccurate. Reminds me of a former USC qb (cough Mark Sanchez cough).

And, a wide receiver did not almost carry his team to a national championship. USC has more talent to spread the ball around too than Oklahoma State does, so the Cowboys are obviously going to go towards Blackmon more than USC to Woods. The fact Woods even comes close to Blackmon's numbers despite the surrounding talent and offense is phenomenal.

And finally, I never said anything about the defenses they faced. But, there is a legitimate argument in talking about common opponents, correct? Both players faced Arizona and Stanford. Here is their average for those two games:
Justin Blackmon - 10 Receptions, 157 Receiving Yards, 2.5 Touchdowns
Robert Woods - 11.5 Receptions, 172 Receiving Yards, 1.5 Touchdowns

Also, Barkley averaged 5.5 less attempts than Weeden in those two games, giving Woods 5.5 less chances than Blackmon to catch the ball.

Well that is a dumbass argument. I've never seen anyone take that stance before, it's ALWAYS the opposite.

Big Bird
01-31-2012, 04:23 PM
Well that is a dumbass argument. I've never seen anyone take that stance before, it's ALWAYS the opposite.
Not really sure the term 'dumbass' is needed.

And how is that not a legit argument? You have more weapons, you spread the ball around. You have less, you feature the few playmakers you have.

This isn't rocket science.

prock
01-31-2012, 04:28 PM
Not really sure the term 'dumbass' is needed.

And how is that not a legit argument? You have more weapons, you spread the ball around. You have less, you feature the few playmakers you have.

This isn't rocket science.

Less weapons, more defensive focus on one player, more double/triple teams, more gameplanning around that guy.

Big Bird
01-31-2012, 04:37 PM
Less weapons, more defensive focus on one player, more double/triple teams, more gameplanning around that guy.
I don't recall saying none of those happen. The offense can also get creative and move their star players around (something Okie State does with Blackmon) in order to lessen the amount of focus they get.

prock
01-31-2012, 04:39 PM
I don't recall saying none of those happen. The offense can also get creative and move their star players around (something Okie State does with Blackmon) in order to lessen the amount of focus they get.

So it's an advantage for a WR to have no other weapons on his team to take pressure off him? OK.

Big Bird
01-31-2012, 05:02 PM
So it's an advantage for a WR to have no other weapons on his team to take pressure off him? OK.
It's an advantage to have the ball constantly feed to him.

And, college football features much less of the type of game planning your talking about. Stanford, one of the top teams in the country with an average (at best) secondary, still didn't double Blackmon. Iowa State mainly just let Leonard Johnson handle him and it worked fairly well for them. The college game doesn't feature as much concentration of eliminating a single player as you see at the NFL level.

D-Unit
01-31-2012, 05:09 PM
USC homer... I'd take Blackmon. For as much love as Woods gets here (and I do like him), I don't think he's even as good as his own teammate... Marquise Lee.

Punisher
01-31-2012, 05:35 PM
USC homer... I'd take Blackmon. For as much love as Woods gets here (and I do like him), I don't think he's even as good as his own teammate... Marquise Lee.

This.

Just imagine if George Farmer breaks out D-Unit.

Farmer is Blackmon's size but is faster than both Marqise and Robert.

Complex
01-31-2012, 07:52 PM
So Farmer runs a 4.2?

Blackmon is underrated on this board. Unless he is coming off a big game people find a reason not to like him skill wise.That being said I rather have Woods.

Punisher
01-31-2012, 07:55 PM
So Farmer runs a 4.2?

Blackmon is underrated on this board. Unless he is coming off a big game people find a reason not to like him skill wise.That being said I rather have Woods.

Farmer runs a 4.3

I was wrong too about Woods. He ran a 4.4 out of high school.

Either way these kids are deep threats alike ;)

D-Unit
02-01-2012, 01:38 AM
This.

Just imagine if George Farmer breaks out D-Unit.

Farmer is Blackmon's size but is faster than both Marqise and Robert.
Yeah... there's a reason why Kyle Prater is bolting to Northwestern. :)

SickwithIt1010
02-01-2012, 02:04 AM
Farmer has the most potential of the 3, if he can live up to it than watch out.

thegreatone
02-01-2012, 11:11 AM
People will always feel the next big thing is always better.

With that being said though, I'd go with Woods. The guy is freakishly polished at this stage of his career.

Vox Populi
02-01-2012, 11:36 AM
I think they are both amazing and going to be future 1000 yard receivers, but they are really different players. Its like comparing Kevin Durant to Derrick Rose. I'd probably take Blackmon right now because I think he is more dangerous and can stretch the field more than Woods even if he is probably slower, he just knows how to make plays down field, whereas Woods seems like a guy who will stretch a defense more horizontally and be the guy that always converts third downs into first downs. I don't really know how to quantify any of my opinions on them, but its just how I've felt about them from watching how they play if that makes any sense.

DraftSavant
02-01-2012, 12:32 PM
I think it's weird so many people think of Woods as just a horizontal field stretcher.

Just because he's polished and can run routes, doesn't mean he can't get downfield. He's done it plenty so far in his college career. Harrison and Holt had no problems with it whatsoever, and he's a very similar receiver to those two.

the_dark_knight
02-01-2012, 02:32 PM
Seems more like we're getting into AJ Green vs Julio Jones again. Only this time Blackmon is just on an entirely different level, to me at least. But it comes down to contrasting styles. You're talking about Blackmon who's straight beastmode, the guy takes over games from the WR position like few can do.

He's a pro type WR playing in college. He's not putting up some stupid numbers because he's one of those Peter Warrick type guys. He's big, strong, physical, he's got the build that can hold up in the NFL, and in the NFL every team has speed. It's about being able to make the tough catch when you're not open, because in the NFL, you're rarely "open" The windows are tighter, the hits are bigger, and everything about the game is more physically demanding.

I'll take Blackmon because I've seen what he can do, and I've seen what a guy like him can do in the NFL. He reminds me a ton of TO, except the guy has a heart too. He's not some jerk, he's not some me first jerk. He's going to interview well, he's already produced well, and he's done it over a couple of seasons.

I appreciate what Woods brings to the table, and I'm not saying he won't be a top 15-20 pick next year, because it's likely that he will if he lives up to the hype again. But just like Blackmon had to do, Woods is going to have to earn that respect, so he's got another season to do it out at USC. We'll see what he comes up with, and I wouldn't count him out, but if I'm drafting this year, there's only 1 WR worth top 10 pick consideration, and the guy for me is Justin Blackmon.

Vox Populi
02-01-2012, 04:25 PM
I think it's weird so many people think of Woods as just a horizontal field stretcher.

Just because he's polished and can run routes, doesn't mean he can't get downfield. He's done it plenty so far in his college career. Harrison and Holt had no problems with it whatsoever, and he's a very similar receiver to those two.

I didn't mean for it to sound like I don't think he can and that he'll just be like Wes Welker. I just don't think hes the guy that teams would be sending deep very often and just bombing it to when he can get open so much more easily and create separation with his great COD and route running ability. Any kind of route is better designed for Woods skills than just tossing a bomb to him because his best asset to me will be his ability to create separation with his routes. I'm not really sure who I'd compare him to if I had to.

Then we have Blackmon, who despite not being a monster in terms of size, just knows how take the ball out of the air. He can just brute force his way to the ball on bombs even if he doesn't get much separation in a way that I don't think Woods can. Blackmon will make his living running deep, and playing close to the sidelines.

Blackmon can make more plays when he is covered, and Woods can get open more. Again, its kind of hard to convey properly. Its just a "feeling" like "it" for qb's.

djp
02-01-2012, 04:28 PM

Wow, that's an interesting stance.. care to elaborate further? In the 5-6 USC games I've seen the past 2 years, I can't really remember a single thing I've disliked about Woods' game. That Minnesota game last year was absolutely insane for Woods.

bearsfan_51
02-01-2012, 05:40 PM
Wow, that's an interesting stance.. care to elaborate further? In the 5-6 USC games I've seen the past 2 years, I can't really remember a single thing I've disliked about Woods' game. That Minnesota game last year was absolutely insane for Woods.
Although to be fair, you or I could catch 20 balls against that secondary.

Big Bird
02-01-2012, 06:43 PM
Although to be fair, you or I could catch 20 balls against that secondary.
The same secondary that ended up 49th in Passing Yards and 55th in Completions?

deepthoughtlife
02-01-2012, 07:05 PM
Blackmon is a great player. Robert Woods is a great player. Blackmon is in the draft. Woods is not. I would rather have Blackmon this year than Woods next year.

If I could get either one this year though, I would ask some tough questions about the quarterback he would be working with. With a bad QB, I would go Blackmon who is bigger, more physically impressive, and can make plays all by himself, even when covered. With a great QB, I would go with Woods, who is more consistently (but with less room) open, who is faster, and is very good at turning a little bit into a little bit more. Furthermore, I believe Blackmon can disappear much more easily than Woods*, but is also more likely to have the huge game or two in the NFL. With a middling QB, I really need to do more scouting.

*Admittedly, Woods was a bit overshadowed at times by Lee late this year, whereas Blackmon was clearly the man on his team.

bearsfan_51
02-01-2012, 07:10 PM
The same secondary that ended up 49th in Passing Yards and 55th in Completions?
I've seen every Minnesota game at least twice. Don't quote stats to me.

yo123
02-01-2012, 07:57 PM
I've seen every Minnesota game at least twice. Don't quote stats to me.

Why the hell would you do that to yourself?

SenorGato
02-01-2012, 09:05 PM
People will always feel the next big thing is always better.

With that being said though, I'd go with Woods. The guy is freakishly polished at this stage of his career.

Do have to give him props for this. He's smooth.

bearsfan_51
02-01-2012, 09:13 PM
Why the hell would you do that to yourself?
I get paid a little. That's not really why, but it eases the pain sometimes.

Bengalsrocket
02-01-2012, 11:08 PM

I think at first glance, being on a weaker team means you would get more opportunities with the ball. However, these two are so clearly more talented than the coverage they go against, that they both were targeted enough. I don't think it really matters either way at the college level. If you're talented, the guys around you shouldn't matter.

brat316
02-20-2012, 01:58 PM
_97kBZqj270

Inspector71
02-22-2012, 11:58 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/usc/post/_/id/2777/robert-woods-is-adjusting-quickly

"Asked about his team-clocked 40-yard dash time, Woods recalled it being in the 4.6 range -- not an overly impressive time considering his height and weight combination. "

Maybe Woods got faster, but if USC timed him at 4.6 then he was not running well as a Freshman.

SRogers92
02-23-2012, 11:29 AM
_97kBZqj270

Wow, that's impressive.

Some of those catches he made look routine to him.

stlouisfan37
03-16-2012, 09:30 AM
I remembered this thread and I decided to give it some research. My team is in the market for a bigtime receiver or two, so I decided to look further into the comparison. Someone else had thrown in an opinion or two about Sammy Watkins, who I really like, so I decided to look at all three. It made sense to me; after all, I don't think it is at all crazy to suggest these three guys may each be the top receiver of the next three drafts.

Blackmon - The best receiving numbers of the three, with 121/1522/18. While he isn't really that big of a receiver (6'1", 207), he plays very big and has a very intimidating demeanor on the field. He is very aggressive, especially in traffic, and simply outmuscles defenders for the ball. He runs a beautiful fade route. While he isn't blazing fast, he isn't hindered by a lack of speed and finds himself open a lot. Has great hands, and of the three he is the most capable of making a play in tight coverage. He seems to get the most separation on intermediate routes, especially over the middle and on seam routes. One thing that really separates him from the other two is his production in big games this past season. In 4 games against ranked opponents he racked up 44 catches for 658 yards and 7 TD's, including 8/168/3 against Stanford in the Fiesta Bowl.

Woods - Very Strong production. 111/1292/15. Considering he is a year behind Blackmon and his QB is returning as well, he has a great chance of matching Blackmons numbers this season. He has decent size and strength; I really like how he blocks downfield. Very good hands and is a natural snatcher. As far as speed goes, he appears to be very similar to Blackmon. He gets some separation, not a ton, and outruns the pack when he gets behind the defense, but it doesn't necessarily look easy. What I did notice about him, though, is how he always seems to be open, wide open. Some guys just have a knack for that, and it can make up for a lot of shortcomings. Now when you combine that knack with a guy who has a lot of great tools, which Woods does, then you could have something special. He runs a really nice fade route, scored a lot of short-yardage TD's, and catches the ball really well in tight quarters. He was very productive in the return game as well, although I don't see him being a return specialist at the next level.

Watkins - It's kind of unfair to put him into this conversation, for one because he was a freshman this year, and two, because he is a very different player. While he didn't have quite the receiving numbers as the other two (82/1219/12), he more than made up for it with everything else he does on the field. A threat running, receiving and in the return game, he amassed 2276 all-purpose yards, and scored on an 89-yard kickoff return against Maryland, a game in which he put up 335 all-purpose yards and 3 TD's. His speed is downright scary, and to grade him as a receiver is really unfair to him because he is a weapon that can score from anywhere on the field. He was always the fastest player on the field and reaches the corner on reverses like no one I have seen in quite some time. He is super explosive, and can turn on the jets immediately. Of his 12 receiving TD's, 9 of them came from outside the red zone. He had 7 receptions of 40 yards or more. Bottom line, if he gets the ball in the open field it's usually over. On a negative side, he doesn't seem to be as much of a natural receiver as Blackmon or Woods, although I think he will get better with time. He has a slender frame and isn't very physical, relying on his speed most of the time. He could really stand to get stronger, and will need to in order to get off the line at the next level. It's early yet, though. He's got a couple years to get there.

All in all, I think Watkins is the best prospect of the three and has the highest ceiling. Behind him, it is really a matter of preference. Woods is more of a fluid route runner, and I love the way he finds large chunks of open real estate. Blackmon, on the other hand, is the emotional cherry bomb that can change the momentum of a game and take over.

NFL Comparisons

Justin Blackmon - Dez Bryant
Robert Woods - Hakim Nicks
Sammy Watkins - Big DeSean Jackson