PDA

View Full Version : Best Zone Corner

hockey619
02-01-2012, 02:03 PM
I feel like everyone always talks about the lock down guys and who can play one on one with the best, but what guys are really dominant zone corners?

I was thinking about this earlier and really dont even know where to start but thought it would be a decent talking point that doesnt involve 'rematch of 08!' and 'gronks ankle!' because i need something else to think about.

SuperPacker
02-01-2012, 02:04 PM
Charles Woodson.

Sloopy
02-01-2012, 02:11 PM
Gunna have to say Asante here.

Revis also has a great ability to play zone although he is known more for his man v man skills.

Ronde Barber comes to mind as one of the better zone corners ever but he has obviously faded

Jvig43
02-01-2012, 02:20 PM
My first initial thought was Samuel, but didn't Neo play a zone type of coverage in Oakland? I know alot of people said his struggles in Philly came from playing man coverage.

nobodyinparticular
02-01-2012, 02:31 PM
Nnamdi is poor in zone coverage because he only played man coverage his entire career.

brat316
02-01-2012, 02:32 PM
Ike "Brick Hand" Taylor.

JETS5128
02-01-2012, 05:09 PM
It would be Revis but he only plays it like twice a game so i guess Asante or Deangelo Hall

DraftSavant
02-01-2012, 05:38 PM
Asante, Ike Taylor, Charles Tillman, Brent Grimes, and the KC duo (who are pretty adept at both zone AND man).

phlysac
02-01-2012, 05:45 PM
I agree on Ike Taylor.

bigbluedefense
02-01-2012, 05:52 PM
It's Revis. He can do it all. The only reason why he doesn't get INTs is bc nobody throws at him no matter what.

Asante is probably the 2nd best. He can't tackle at all, but he's a great zone defender.

K Train
02-01-2012, 06:14 PM
ike taylor is brilliant in zone coverage

NotMyJob
02-01-2012, 06:26 PM
Nnamdi!

:D

Go_Eagles77
02-01-2012, 06:28 PM
My first initial thought was Samuel, but didn't Neo play a zone type of coverage in Oakland? I know alot of people said his struggles in Philly came from playing man coverage.

It's the other way around, Nnamdi is amazing in man but that took our OL coa- I mean defensive coordinator most of the season to realize that. He played like his old self when put in man later in the season.

Asante is definitely up there as far as zone corners, but I still think he won't be in an eagles uniform next year. I say just let DRC and Nnamdi start and play man all day.

BaLLiN
02-01-2012, 08:15 PM
Brandon Flowers anyone?

A Perfect Score
02-01-2012, 08:21 PM
Brandon Flowers anyone?

Flowers is an excellent press man corner as well. God he's awesome. #2 CB in the NFL IMO, especially after the year Nnamdi just had.

Brent Grimes is as good in zone coverage as anyone I've seen lately.

Sloopy
02-01-2012, 09:37 PM
It would be Revis but he only plays it like twice a game so i guess Asante or Deangelo Hall

Another top guy who I would consider adding. Guy was dominant in that system with Atlanta, then he went to the Raiders and it screwed him up, kind of like the reverse of Nnamdi.

Also an amazing CB blitzer ;) see what I did here?

ATLDirtyBirds
02-01-2012, 10:01 PM
Asante, Ike Taylor, Charles Tillman, Brent Grimes, and the KC duo (who are pretty adept at both zone AND man).

This.

Flowers is an excellent press man corner as well. God he's awesome. #2 CB in the NFL IMO, especially after the year Nnamdi just had.

And this.

SickwithIt1010
02-01-2012, 11:35 PM

Im pretty damn close to giving that spot to Joe Haden.

tjsunstein
02-01-2012, 11:59 PM
I like the love that Brandon Flowers is getting. I would still put Woodson in there because that's where he's really able to mask his age because he's so instinctual and smart.

MetSox17
02-02-2012, 03:03 AM
Terence Newman sucks dick. I know that doesn't contribute much to this thread, but i really felt like everyone here should know that.

Caddy
02-02-2012, 03:05 AM
Ronde Barbeeeerrrrrzzzzz. Not really, but for an 78 year old he does a pretty good job in zone coverage.

MetSox17
02-02-2012, 03:29 AM
I'd take a five years from now Ronde Barber over 2011 Terence Newman, and i'm not even joking.

ChiFan24
02-02-2012, 05:01 AM
Peanut Tillman

Brent
02-02-2012, 05:53 AM
Terence Newman sucks dick. I know that doesn't contribute much to this thread, but i really felt like everyone here should know that.
everyone who has seen a Cowboys game knows this.

Razor
02-02-2012, 09:46 AM
Brandon Flowers and Asante Samuel are the first two guys that comes to mind. I'm sure Revis could play zone, but he hasn't had the chance to showcase his abilities in zone yet.

ImBrotherCain
02-02-2012, 09:54 AM
I love Flowers. The guy was one of my favorite Hokies and it is great to see him doing so well.

bigbluedefense
02-02-2012, 09:56 AM
I like Brandon Flowers, but I think he's getting a case of the Nmandi on here. He's being overrated. He's great but I've seen him get beat.

I think Joe Haden is the 2nd best CB in the league.

Sloopy
02-02-2012, 11:02 AM
I like Brandon Flowers, but I think he's getting a case of the Nmandi on here. He's being overrated. He's great but I've seen him get beat.

I don't know. I mean I know the dude can blanket and is probably in the discussion of top 5 but saying Joe Haden is the #2 CB in the league is a case of the Nnamdi.

Hell, Nnamdi might still be the 2nd best in the league if he wasn't playing in a damn zone scheme the 1st half of the year.

Joe is up there but I just don't feel he has reached that point yet.

bigbluedefense
02-02-2012, 11:31 AM
I don't know. I mean I know the dude can blanket and is probably in the discussion of top 5 but saying Joe Haden is the #2 CB in the league is a case of the Nnamdi.

Hell, Nnamdi might still be the 2nd best in the league if he wasn't playing in a damn zone scheme the 1st half of the year.

Joe is up there but I just don't feel he has reached that point yet.

The fact that we have to justify Nmandi with the line: If he wasn't playing zone" is reason enough that he doesn't deserve to be #2 on the list.

Flowers has been beat. He's a good physical CB, but he can be had by speed WRs. I've seen him get beat. He's not some unstoppable force.

Haden is young of course, we only have 2 years of games on him, but he's been an animal. Pound for pound, I think he's been more impressive.

And to be fair, I've seen Nmandi get beat in man this year too. I think he was the product of being a very good CB that nobody really saw (Oakland was never on national tv, and the games were always blacked out) that developed a reputation that was probably a bit excessive.

Not to mention, it's much easier being a shut down CB in the AFC West, which lacks any real stud WRs to begin with, plus only playing one side of the field.

Sloopy
02-02-2012, 11:49 AM
The fact that we have to justify Nmandi with the line: If he wasn't playing zone" is reason enough that he doesn't deserve to be #2 on the list.

Flowers has been beat. He's a good physical CB, but he can be had by speed WRs. I've seen him get beat. He's not some unstoppable force.

Haden is young of course, we only have 2 years of games on him, but he's been an animal. Pound for pound, I think he's been more impressive.

And to be fair, I've seen Nmandi get beat in man this year too. I think he was the product of being a very good CB that nobody really saw (Oakland was never on national tv, and the games were always blacked out) that developed a reputation that was probably a bit excessive.

Not to mention, it's much easier being a shut down CB in the AFC West, which lacks any real stud WRs to begin with, plus only playing one side of the field.

I don't disagree with you. My point was more that it's a bit premature to call Haden the #2 guy, not so much that Nnamdi is the #2.

DraftSavant
02-02-2012, 12:23 PM

http://www.statesman.com/multimedia/dynamic/01252/Texans_Colts_Footb_1252072c.jpg

bigbluedefense
02-02-2012, 12:27 PM
http://www.statesman.com/multimedia/dynamic/01252/Texans_Colts_Footb_1252072c.jpg

This year yes. A resounding yes. But overall body of work, he's top 5 to me. If he follows up this year with another dominant year, then he's #2.

Preston
02-02-2012, 01:15 PM

Dwayne Bowe, Vincent Jackson...

bigbluedefense
02-02-2012, 01:18 PM
Dwayne Bowe, Vincent Jackson...

They're good, but I don't consider either to be elite.

Put it this way, going from covering Bowe and Jackson (on half the snaps none the less, sometimes even less if the team was smart enough to move their WRs around) to covering Nicks, Cruz, Dez, and Austin for an entire game is a big big difference.

Not to mention, a qb is half the battle. And the only qb worth a damn in the West is Phillip Rivers.

Basileus777
02-02-2012, 03:02 PM

You're right that Flowers is pretty inconsistent. Some weeks he looks amazing, some weeks he gets beat. That inconsistency is why he isn't up there with the truly elite yet. The Nmandi comparison isn't really right though, he's playing with another excellent corner in Carr, so it's not like teams have just been ignoring him and picking on other DBs.

Vox Populi
02-02-2012, 07:21 PM

Not a fan of that argument. Stevie Johnson made Revis look pedestrian on more than one occasion. Dez Bryant was making a fool of Revis until he got hurt in the season opener too. Despite that, Revis was still the best corner in the league this year. All corners get beat. Having seen Flowers get beat a few times shouldn't exclude him from the conversation. All CB's get beat sometimes, even the best ones as long as the ball actually gets thrown their way.

Going based solely on this year alone, I'd take Ike Taylor as the #2 CB in the league 10 times out of 10.

K Train
02-02-2012, 09:34 PM
Going based solely on this year alone, I'd take Ike Taylor as the #2 CB in the league 10 times out of 10.

he was really really unbelievable until demaryius thomas took his lunch money

Ike Taylorís 2011 season by receiver
A.J. Green, Cincinnati 6-87 yards, TD
Demaryius Thomas, Denver 4-204 yards, TD
Wes Welker, New England 4-23 yards
Larry Fitzgerald, Arizona 3-58 yards
Brandon Lloyd, St. Louis 3-39 yards
Anquan Boldin, Baltimore 3-35 yards
Andre Johnson, Houston 3-23 yards
Michael Crabtree, SF 3-23 yards
Jonathan Baldwin, KC 2-26 yards
Nate Washington, Tenn 2-11 yards
Dwayne Bowe, KC 1-25 yards
Mohamed Massaquoi, Clev 1-25 yards
Rob Housler, Arizona 1-20 yards
Steve Breaston, KC 1-18 yards
Jason Hill, Jacksonville 1-18 yards, TD
Reggie Wayne, Indianapolis 1-11 yards
Deion Branch, New England 1-10 yards
Josh Cribbs, Cleveland 1-10 yards
Mike Williams, Seattle 1-9 yards
Damian Williams, Tennessee 1-8 yards
Mike Thomas, Jacksonville 1-3 yards
Torrey Smith, Baltimore 1-2 yards
Pierre Garcon, Indianapolis 1-(-2) yards
46 catches 686 yds. 3 TD's.

only AJ Green and Fitz got over 50 yards and only thomas got over 100

TheBoyWonder22
02-02-2012, 11:04 PM
he was really really unbelievable until demaryius thomas took his lunch money

Ike Taylorís 2011 season by receiver
A.J. Green, Cincinnati 6-87 yards, TD
Demaryius Thomas, Denver 4-204 yards, TD
Wes Welker, New England 4-23 yards
Larry Fitzgerald, Arizona 3-58 yards
Brandon Lloyd, St. Louis 3-39 yards
Anquan Boldin, Baltimore 3-35 yards
Andre Johnson, Houston 3-23 yards
Michael Crabtree, SF 3-23 yards
Jonathan Baldwin, KC 2-26 yards
Nate Washington, Tenn 2-11 yards
Dwayne Bowe, KC 1-25 yards
Mohamed Massaquoi, Clev 1-25 yards
Rob Housler, Arizona 1-20 yards
Steve Breaston, KC 1-18 yards
Jason Hill, Jacksonville 1-18 yards, TD
Reggie Wayne, Indianapolis 1-11 yards
Deion Branch, New England 1-10 yards
Josh Cribbs, Cleveland 1-10 yards
Mike Williams, Seattle 1-9 yards
Damian Williams, Tennessee 1-8 yards
Mike Thomas, Jacksonville 1-3 yards
Torrey Smith, Baltimore 1-2 yards
Pierre Garcon, Indianapolis 1-(-2) yards
46 catches 686 yds. 3 TD's.

only AJ Green and Fitz got over 50 yards and only thomas got over 100
I know Ike played lights out for the majority of the season, but he's so inconsistent in terms of production by season. Maybe top 10. Maybe.

K Train
02-02-2012, 11:11 PM
i dont think so, not since cowher...hes been pretty stable, hes just never catches the ball so even his terrible hands are consistant.

Smash28Dash34
02-04-2012, 04:10 PM
Brandon Flowers came to my mind at first glance.

Sloopy
02-04-2012, 04:23 PM
They're good, but I don't consider either to be elite.

Put it this way, going from covering Bowe and Jackson (on half the snaps none the less, sometimes even less if the team was smart enough to move their WRs around) to covering Nicks, Cruz, Dez, and Austin for an entire game is a big big difference.

Not to mention, a qb is half the battle. And the only qb worth a damn in the West is Phillip Rivers.

I dunno man, I probably take V-Jax over Austin and maybe Dez. Certainly harder to cover than either, dude is huge.

themaninblack
02-05-2012, 12:16 PM
Leon Hall isn't great in man to man coverage but he really seems to excel in zone.

A Perfect Score
02-05-2012, 12:42 PM
Lol @ Ike Taylor as the #2 CB in the NFL. This thread, and by extension this forum, are so awesome.

Vox Populi
02-05-2012, 01:13 PM
Lol @ Ike Taylor as the #2 CB in the NFL. This thread, and by extension this forum, are so awesome.

He definitely played like a guy who should be up there this year in the regular season.