PDA

View Full Version : Defensive Tackle Scheme Fits

Matthew Jones
02-02-2012, 04:50 PM
Here's what I've got for the top prospects (those who could be selected in the first two rounds, listed alphabetically at each position they qualify for):

4-3 NT:

Michael Brockers, Louisiana St.**
Josh Chapman, Alabama
Dontari Poe, Memphis
Kendall Reyes, Connecticut
Alameda Ta'amu, Washington
Brandon Thompson, Clemson

4-3 UT:

Quinton Coples, North Carolina
Fletcher Cox, Mississippi St.*
Devon Still, Penn St.
Jerel Worthy, Michigan St.*

3-4 NT:

Josh Chapman, Alabama
Dontari Poe, Memphis*
Alameda Ta'amu, Washington

3-4 DE (one-gap):

Quinton Coples, North Carolina
Fletcher Cox, Mississippi St.*
Jared Crick, Nebraska
Devon Still, Penn St.
Jerel Worthy, Michigan St.*

3-4 DE (two-gap):

Dontari Poe, Memphis*

keylime_5
02-02-2012, 11:44 PM
Not disagreeing with anything in particular, but I thought I would throw it out there as my opinion...

If I ran a 2 gap front I wouldn't waste the quickness or first step of a guy like Worthy or Thompson at DE. I think those guys are totally one gap defensive tackles.

Now I would love to put Still, Brockers, Poe, Crick, and maybe even Cox in an odd front. Those guys would be some serious building blocks up front who can fit in any system. I'm not sold on Coples as anything but a strongside DE in a 4 man front, though I could see using him in a sort of hybrid front that uses one gap responsibilities for the 5 technique DE. Great players like that usually you can play in any system.

Abaddon
02-03-2012, 05:25 AM
Coples' inside/outside ability would be a great fit for a one gapping 4-3 scheme. A team trying to emulate the Giants would be a perfect fit. Outside in base, kick him inside in nickel. Use him like Justin Tuck and let him hunt.

Sloopy
02-03-2012, 09:50 AM
Nice rankings.

I tend to look at Poe as strictly a 3-4 DE I'm sure he could anchor but I think he would be a better fit at DE

Lil Quip
02-03-2012, 05:59 PM
I am wondering if putting Reyes as a 4-3 NT instead of 4-3 UT was a mistake. You have him on the other list, which is his strength is scheme versatility. But his strength at the point of attack doesn't seem to be his biggest attribute, where he could get engulfed by big guards.

Also, I think that most players that can play 3-4 two gap can play 3-4 one gap if they are fast enough. Plus I see 3-4 one gap is very similar to 4-3 UT. That being said, your lists for those two are exactly the same, except for the Reyes thing I mentioned earlier.

I like your perspective of this overall, as knowing who the NT and 3-4 DE two gap seems to be important as they are the most specific in terms of skillset.

Lastly, usually two gap de's are somewhat tall. I think Brandon Thompson at 6-2 may be a little short.

bored of education
02-03-2012, 08:02 PM
I think Poe is most versatile defensive linemen in the draft since Suh. Poe can play a zero tech, 3 tech, 5 tech and even 1 tech. He can two gap and one gap in any front. His versatility may be viewed as a weakness since he has no true position yet I think they gives him greater value. Think Phil Taylor and Kenrick Ellis mixed. He may be best used in a 3-4 DE 2 gapping role but with proper coaching he can play NT in a 4-3 or 3-4. He can anchor, shoot the gaps, stay disciplined for his gaps. That is just a glimpse as to why I have him as a top 15 pick.

Ozzy
02-03-2012, 08:44 PM
I would include DaJohn Harris in this list, he is better than some of the players you listed.

keylime_5
02-03-2012, 10:56 PM
I think Poe is most versatile defensive linemen in the draft since Suh. Poe can play a zero tech, 3 tech, 5 tech and even 1 tech. He can two gap and one gap in any front. His versatility may be viewed as a weakness since he has no true position yet I think they gives him greater value. Think Phil Taylor and Kenrick Ellis mixed. He may be best used in a 3-4 DE 2 gapping role but with proper coaching he can play NT in a 4-3 or 3-4. He can anchor, shoot the gaps, stay disciplined for his gaps. That is just a glimpse as to why I have him as a top 15 pick.

Yeah, he has potential off the charts if he can sharpen his technique (to say the least) and if he has good conditioning and a good work ethic/motor. Shaun Rogers or Kris Jenkins-esque in that regard.

onejayhawk
02-04-2012, 01:08 PM
I am not sold on Poe to that extent. What you describe is another Holati Ngata. I do not see him as even a poor man's Ngata.

His most valuable position is as a 0 tech. For that, I question his base. The lateral mobility is there, but what of the raw power? Is he going to be a technician? Put him in the situation Phil Taylor landed in for the Browns, and things work better. His athleticism gives him penetration potaential, and he is not asked to shove a C into the QB's leg room.

J

Don Vito
02-04-2012, 01:34 PM
Brockers is probably THE guy I want the Pats to take in the first this year. Such a perfect fit for us.

Sloopy
02-04-2012, 04:00 PM
Hebron Fangupo should be added to your NT list.

Dude is a beast and has experience at the position

SenorGato
02-05-2012, 12:37 AM
Brockers is probably THE guy I want the Pats to take in the first this year. Such a perfect fit for us.

Any 6'6" 300+ pound DT is a perfect fit for anyone...It would be game over man if the Jets drafted him. Brockers + Pouha/DeVito/Ellis + Wilkerson for the next 5-10 years? :Drool:

ElectricEye
02-05-2012, 11:17 AM

Really wouldn't mind trading up for him if we could. He's exactly the type of guy we need to get the line truly rolling again.

Nalej
02-05-2012, 11:21 AM
Really wouldn't mind trading up for him if we could. He's exactly the type of guy we need to get the line truly rolling again.

Agreed. How far does he drop before that becomes an option though? Thats the question.

keylime_5
02-05-2012, 11:46 AM
I am not sold on Poe to that extent. What you describe is another Holati Ngata. I do not see him as even a poor man's Ngata.

His most valuable position is as a 0 tech. For that, I question his base. The lateral mobility is there, but what of the raw power? Is he going to be a technician? Put him in the situation Phil Taylor landed in for the Browns, and things work better. His athleticism gives him penetration potaential, and he is not asked to shove a C into the QB's leg room.

J

he has pretty special potential. He's a huge guy with excellent feet. Those are rare. He is quite raw. Ngata was a dominating player in college when he was healthy.

kennyb
02-05-2012, 12:26 PM
what about kheeston randall as a 3-4 DE or domonique hamilton of missouri?

They have good size and athleticism.

Brockers is pretty raw, i don't think I'd risk a top 10 pick on him.

holt_bruce81
02-05-2012, 05:58 PM
I disagree about Alameda Ta'amu. I think his best fit is in a 4-3 scheme as a under tackle.

onejayhawk
02-05-2012, 06:58 PM
he has pretty special potential. He's a huge guy with excellent feet. Those are rare. He is quite raw. Ngata was a dominating player in college when he was healthy.

The fact that Poe did not dominate consistently on his level is worrisome.

Suffice to say that I was more impressed with Phil Taylor, at least with regards to NT. PT had good feet and excellent hands. I expect Poe to go in the same part of the 1st.

J

onejayhawk
02-05-2012, 06:59 PM
I disagree about Alameda Ta'amu. I think his best fit is in a 4-3 scheme as a under tackle.

I would love him as a 3-4 DE. He could be a straight 4 tech, or shade off either shoulder.

J

TACKLE
02-05-2012, 11:27 PM
I'm not quite sure why people like Brockers so much as a 3-tech. He's long, strong, can use his hands and has pretty good athleticism but he's not a guy who's explosive upfield or disruptive in the backfield. There are couples guys I'd take as a 3-tech over Brockers, Cox being first among all of them. Though I will say, Brockers is a pure bread two gapping 5-tech.

SenorGato
02-06-2012, 12:24 AM
what about kheeston randall as a 3-4 DE or domonique hamilton of missouri?

They have good size and athleticism.

Brockers is pretty raw, i don't think I'd risk a top 10 pick on him.

I've had the same thought that he'd fall into the 10-15 range, but a couple things might push him into the top ten:

- Planet theory

- Combine

- LSU's 5th ranked rushing D/other successes this year.

Then again if Ngata didn't go top 10...Then again that was a loaded draft with 3 QBs taken in the top 10...