PDA

View Full Version : A.P. Award Winners

Crazy_Chris
02-04-2012, 05:58 PM
The award show airs at 9pm est, but NFL network is currently scrolling the results. Here is what I have seen so far...

Offensive rookie of the year: Cam Newton

Defensive rookie of the year: Von Miller

Comeback player of the year: Matt Stafford

Coach of the year: Jim Harbaugh

Offensive Player of the Year: Drew Brees

Defensive Player of the year: Terrell Suggs

MVP: Aaron Rodgers

VernonLawson89
02-04-2012, 06:25 PM
Congrats Coach Harbs!!!

TACKLE
02-04-2012, 06:39 PM
SIZZLE!

Very deserving. He was just fantastic all around this year.

BloodBrother
02-04-2012, 06:41 PM
phew. I thought that stupid award show thing was live. Nice to get the results so I don't have to bother tuning into that

Crazy_Chris
02-04-2012, 06:41 PM
The Vikings defense once again lets us down, as there is no doubt their putrid play is the reason Allen didn't get the DPOY.

vidae
02-04-2012, 06:46 PM
Von Miller over Aldon Smith?

yodabear
02-04-2012, 06:46 PM
All of those are defntly deserving. I think the last two will be filled in by Aaron Rodgers.

Shane P. Hallam
02-04-2012, 06:47 PM
All of those are defntly deserving. I think the last two will be filled in by Aaron Rodgers.

Have you ever seen who wins the awards? lol. OPOTY generally doesn't win MVP.

Brees takes OPOTY.

tjsunstein
02-04-2012, 06:57 PM
Absolutely have to put Von Miller there over Aldon Smith.

I just need Rodgers to win MVP. That's all I care about this entire weekend.

Shane P. Hallam
02-04-2012, 06:59 PM
Absolutely have to put Von Miller there over Aldon Smith.

I just need Rodgers to win MVP. That's all I care about this entire weekend.

He just did!

Crazy_Chris
02-04-2012, 06:59 PM
I was hoping Calvin Johnson would get OPOY, although Drew Brees is very deserving.

yodabear
02-04-2012, 07:00 PM
Have you ever seen who wins the awards? lol. OPOTY generally doesn't win MVP.

Brees takes OPOTY.

Can't say I do cuz I haven't cared about these in a decade due to my Rams sucking :(

BloodBrother
02-04-2012, 07:00 PM
Rodgers got 48 of the 50 votes. Brees got the other 2

Ness
02-04-2012, 07:01 PM

Saints fans won't be pleased.

Crazy_Chris
02-04-2012, 07:02 PM

Wow, I was expecting it to be a little bit closer than that.

tjsunstein
02-04-2012, 07:05 PM
Wow, I was expecting it to be a little bit closer than that.
I really don't understand this thinking. Why? Rodgers was by far the best player this year, and maybe had the best season since Brady's a couple years back.

ElectricEye
02-04-2012, 07:06 PM
I'm surprised it wasn't unanimous, more than anything.

Crazy_Chris
02-04-2012, 07:07 PM
I really don't understand this thinking. Why? Rodgers was by far the best player this year, and maybe had the best season since Brady's a couple years back.

It has nothing to do with my personal feelings. I agree that clearly Aaron was the MVP. I just wasn't expecting the AP writers to see it the same way.

Ness
02-04-2012, 07:08 PM
Saints message board is pretty funny.

Brees should be the MVP. No one will be able to convince me Aaron Rodgers deserves it over Brees.

Agreed, especially after Flynn went and did more than Rodgers did all season with one game against a team playing their hearts out.

And after Rodgers gave up in their only playoff game.

And he also led his team straight out of the playoffs because he discount double choked

If Rodgers had as many attempts, he would have had more INTS. The award was for MVP. Brees is much, much more valuable to the Saints than Rodgers is to GB. Flynn did fine in his audition, a game Detroit was desperate to win. We would be sunk with Daniel.

ElectricEye
02-04-2012, 07:09 PM
Team Specific messageboards make you stupid. Thank god for our melting pot.

tjsunstein
02-04-2012, 07:09 PM
It has nothing to do with my personal feelings. I agree that clearly Aaron was the MVP. I just wasn't expecting the AP writers to see it the same way.
Brees got his due respect with the OPOY award.

BloodBrother
02-04-2012, 07:15 PM
Flynn did better against the Lions than Brees did. He was also better than Rodgers has ever been in any one game in his career

Flynn got robbed!

keylime_5
02-04-2012, 07:15 PM
stafford winning comeback poy could be debatable. he really didn't have a breakout year until this year. granted he was on his way to one last year before getting hurt, but really this was his coming out party. it seems as though you didn't have to be an established great player before getting an injury to win that award though - i.e. you just have to have been injured (or miss a bunch of games) the year before and then have a breakout year.

prock
02-04-2012, 07:17 PM
Jared ******* Allen. COME ON! Got screwed out of the sack record because we didn't play Favre in week 17 and didn't win DPOY either. This year blows.

DraftSavant
02-04-2012, 07:18 PM
No Justin Smith makes me go -___-

keylime_5
02-04-2012, 07:22 PM
Jared Allen and DeMarcus Ware were by far the two best defensive players in the NFL this year. By FAR. They got robbed by giving the award to Suggs. I know he had a career year (playing with Ngata, Lewis, Reed, and all those great Ravens defenders mind you) and they might of wanted to just throw a bone to him as an honor for the entire Ravens defense - but he wasn't as dominant as Allen or Ware and could be controlled by double teams or chips.......the others couldn't.

Mr. Goosemahn
02-04-2012, 07:23 PM
IMO Darrelle Revis should be winning DPOTY year in and year out. What that guy is doing is amazing, IMO.

I think he's so good people are forgetting how good he is, and thus overlook him for other players who have a standout season, if that makes any sense lol.

Ness
02-04-2012, 07:23 PM
Honestly I thought Justin Smith was going to win it. No he didn't have mega stat numbers, but I can't remember one game this season where he was neutralized.

Brodeur
02-04-2012, 07:35 PM
Terrell Suggs won DPOTY? Umm........why?

BeerBaron
02-04-2012, 07:40 PM
None of the winners really shock me or make me upset here.

A few of the players who got a vote thrown their way are a little upsetting. (Charles Woodson, for real? Eli Manning getting a COMEBACK player vote? Tha ****?)

DPotY was probably the closest. Can't completely fault them for going towards Suggs. Most of his biggest competition didn't even make the playoffs, so if you factor in team success (which they should do and did,) I can't complain about it.

Brodeur
02-04-2012, 07:46 PM
DPotY was probably the closest. Can't completely fault them for going towards Suggs. Most of his biggest competition didn't even make the playoffs, so if you factor in team success (which they should do and did,) I can't complain about it.

Except for the fact that Allen and Ware were both considerably better with much less help around them, and team success should never ******* factor into DPOTY. I'd also give it to Justin Smith if they were so dead-set on giving it to a playoff team, but whatever.

BeerBaron
02-04-2012, 07:49 PM
Justin Smith is a completely unsexy pick and that hurt him. The AP voters are morons if you couldn't tell by the college football voting they do. They probably scanned his stats and went "meh."

Plus Smith was a bit overshadowed by bigger names on the same team, with Willis and Bowman also getting votes and Aldon Smith getting some for DRotY.

And Allen's team is picking 3rd in the draft. I'm surprised he came as close as he even did.

Brodeur
02-04-2012, 07:58 PM
Team success is independent of defensive player success. He did absolutely everything he could with a complete joke of a team in Minnesota on both ends (especially when AD was hurt), and was the best defensive player this season. And I'm saying this as a guy who ******* hates Jared Allen.

BeerBaron
02-04-2012, 07:59 PM
You have to balance team and individual success when handing out these awards.

I wouldn't have had a problem if Allen won, but I can see why he didn't.

Sloopy
02-04-2012, 08:01 PM
T-sizzle!!!!!! Dude deserves it, has been a monster all year.

yo123
02-04-2012, 08:03 PM
So Jared Allen didn't win DPOY because his team is run by idiots? Makes sense, that's completely his fault. It's also completely his fault that we had nothing but special teams players in our secondary by the end of the year. I forgot that real DPOY's also double as GM's.

Brodeur
02-04-2012, 08:07 PM
You have to balance team and individual success when handing out these awards.

I wouldn't have had a problem if Allen won, but I can see why he didn't.

You do that for MVP and Coach in this sport yes, but in the past OPOTY and DPOTY have not been using team success all that much.

gsorace
02-04-2012, 08:11 PM
Suggs was great and all but I can think of at least 4 other players I'd put in front of him.

I don't remember the last time I actually agreed with the DPOY winner

TACKLE
02-04-2012, 08:19 PM
I can buy an argument that Jared Allen should have been the DPOY over Sizzle but no one else. I find it bizarre that people really think Ware was more deserving let alone outraged that Suggs won it over him. I really don't know how people can be convinced Ware better all-around defensive player in this season. Yes Ware had more sacks, but Suggs had 7 forced fumbles (lead the league) to Ware's 2, 2 INT's to Ware's 0, 6 PDEF's to Ware's 2 not to mention that Suggs plays the run as well or better than any 34 OLB in the league. Oddly enough, it appears the voters look at more than just sack numbers before they cast their ballots.

Sloopy
02-04-2012, 08:20 PM
Suggs was great and all but I can think of at least 4 other players I'd put in front of him.

I don't remember the last time I actually agreed with the DPOY winner

LOL Like who? I'd love to see such a list

Brodeur
02-04-2012, 08:22 PM
LOL Like who? I'd love to see such a list

Allen, Justin Smith, Revis, maybe Ware...

TitleTown088
02-04-2012, 08:25 PM

Vikings fan.

Mufasa
02-04-2012, 08:33 PM
I thought this was a year that no one really stood out for DPOY. Usually there's a two player race throughout the season where they both are playing at top level (Woodson-Revis, Polamalu-Matthews), this year there didn't seem to be even one player with that spotlight. Allen very quietly approached the sack record, so I was expecting him to win it, but I wasn't overly impressed with him this year. Stat wise it was by far a career year, but I don't think it was really his best year. I guess I'm ok with Suggs winning it, but it's probably the least impressive DPOY in a long time.

TheFinisher
02-04-2012, 08:33 PM

JPP should get some love here too. Dude was instrumental to the Giants late season/playoff run.

BeerBaron
02-04-2012, 08:34 PM
You do that for MVP and Coach in this sport yes, but in the past OPOTY and DPOTY have not been using team success all that much.

The fact that there's a separation between MVP and PotY is stupid to begin win. I'd have OMVP and DMVP.

Essentially, MVP becomes the QB or RB having the most ridiculous year on a good team. OPotY is essentially the runner up to that and DPotY is basically DMVP.

The AP voters are a bunch of morons however and prefer to vote for as many things as possible in order to stay relevant in sports.

Mufasa
02-04-2012, 08:35 PM
The fact that there's a separation between MVP and PotY is stupid to begin win. I'd have OMVP and DMVP.

Essentially, MVP becomes the QB or RB having the most ridiculous year on a good team. OPotY is essentially the runner up to that and DPotY is basically DMVP.

The AP voters are a bunch of morons however and prefer to vote for as many things as possible in order to stay relevant in sports.

Yeah, I really hate how OPOY has basically become a consolation prize for the MVP runner up.

Complex
02-04-2012, 08:35 PM
Haloti Ngata better step it up. Reed,Lewis and now Suggs have DOPY awards.

Sloopy
02-04-2012, 08:36 PM

Revis? Come on. People need to get off the dudes jock. He is great, the #1 CB in the league... he didn't exactly have a DPOY season, struggled against Stevie Johnson and Dez Bryant.

Ware got more sacks... and? People complain about how all the AP voters do is look at stats and then they make comments like this.

Allen has a legit argument.

Suggs took over games this year for the Ravens. People look at his sacks and say he wasn't dominant but he isn't just a sack artist. Can he be? Ask Alex Smith.

But he can do more, the dude MANED UP ON ANDRE JOHNSON in the AFC divisional round... let that sink in for a second.

His support in the run game is almost unmatched as an 3-4 OLB and he is just as deadly dropping back in coverage.

He did whatever the team asked of him this year and he dominated at it. Allen got 20 sacks with almost no help and deserved to be in the conversation.

Everyone else named is just on name recognition, and if you truly think anyone else deserved this award your more brainless than the AP voters you complain so much about.

I honestly think Allen deserves it over Suggs but I laugh at the thought of anyone else mentioned

Brodeur
02-04-2012, 08:39 PM
Yes Revis struggled against Dez for a couple of plays and Stevie has his number, but it's not like Suggs was on his game 100 percent of the time. With the game being completely focused on pass now, having him shut down his side pretty much every single game easily makes him a top 2 defensive POY candidate to me.

Nice ignoring of Justin Smith on that list, good thing you could come up with an argument for him. Allen I'm glad we have an agreement on, and whatever with Ware.

Complex
02-04-2012, 08:43 PM
Revis? Come on. People need to get off the dudes jock. He is great, the #1 CB in the league... he didn't exactly have a DPOY season, struggled against Stevie Johnson and Dez Bryant.

Ware got more sacks... and? People complain about how all the AP voters do is look at stats and then they make comments like this.

Allen has a legit argument.

Suggs took over games this year for the Ravens. People look at his sacks and say he wasn't dominant but he isn't just a sack artist. Can he be? Ask Alex Smith.

But he can do more, the dude MANED UP ON ANDRE JOHNSON in the AFC champion ship game... let that sink in for a second.

His support in the run game is almost unmatched as an 3-4 OLB and he is just as deadly dropping back in coverage.

He did whatever the team asked of him this year and he dominated at it. Allen got 20 sacks with almost no help and deserved to be in the conversation.

Everyone else named is just on name recognition, and if you truly think anyone else deserved this award your more brainless than the AP voters you complain so much about.

I honestly think Allen deserves it over Suggs but I laugh at the thought of anyone else mentioned

He gave up like 2 catches to Dez. I swear people hold Revis to such a high standard. He gives up a highlight catch or two and he is overrated.He did struggle against Stevie though.

Jarred Allen had 1 tackle and 0 sacks against both N.O and the raiders but people will just say he was double teamed. So it wasn't his fault.

Sloopy
02-04-2012, 08:46 PM
Yes Revis struggled against Dez for a couple of plays and Stevie has his number, but it's not like Suggs was on his game 100 percent of the time. With the game being completely focused on pass now, having him shut down his side pretty much every single game easily makes him a top 2 defensive POY candidate to me.

Nice ignoring of Justin Smith on that list, good thing you could come up with an argument for him. Allen I'm glad we have an agreement on, and whatever with Ware.

Didn't see him.

Justin Smith did a lot for his club and honestly probably deserves to be in the conversation as well but he doesn't play a position that gets the glory.

End of the day though Suggs did a lot for his club AND put up the #s

As far as Suggs not being on. I can't think of a single game where he wasn't a major impact. Even if he wasn't putting up 3 sack games every week, he was doing something else that allowed us to get the win.

I go back to the AFC divisional round again and point out that despite his lack of sacks, the dude covered Andre Johnson. He is always doing something that lets the rest of our D do what they need to do.

He gave up like 2 catches to Dez. I swear people hold Revis to such a high standard. He gives up a highlight catch or two and he is overrated.He did struggle against Stevie though.

Jarred Allen had 1 tackle and 0 sacks against both N.O and the raiders but people will just say he was double teamed. So it wasn't his fault.

At the same time, people give him way too much credit sometimes.

Revis shuts down half the field, so he should be defensive player every year right?

The fact is the dude didn't have a DPOY type season. Doesn't take anything away from him as the best corner in the league and a top overall defender.

Sloopy
02-04-2012, 08:53 PM
sorry to cherrypick, but after 4 years ago (i think) with champ, this all sounds so familiar.

Yea yea Champ Bailey deserved it we get it :P

Crazy_Chris
02-04-2012, 08:54 PM
Vikings fan.

Read the rest of the thread, it will help stop you from making ignorant comments in the future. :)

TitleTown088
02-04-2012, 09:09 PM
Read the rest of the thread, it will help stop you from making ignorant comments in the future. :)

Pump the breaks, broski. T'was in jest.

Rosebud
02-04-2012, 09:23 PM
Ware's an absolutely phenomenal run defender and pass defender for that position so the fact that Suggs was good at it to this year doesn't make him better than Ware who had more sacks with less help, including a drastically worse secondary.

Ware, Allen, Suggs, Justin Smith, Revis...**** you osi otherwise JPP would be in this group...all deserved consideration for DPOY and none really clearly differentiated themselves IMO. Giving it to the guy with the shinier numbers on one of the two best defenses and teams isn't something that you can really fault the AP writers for too badly. It's safe and easy too defend.

fenikz
02-04-2012, 09:33 PM
Justin Smith took his game to an elite level this year and should of certainly been considered

Paul
02-04-2012, 09:40 PM
Aside from the sack numbers, Ware didn't deserve DPOY.

Mr. Goosemahn
02-04-2012, 09:41 PM
ahem...

IMO Darrelle Revis should be winning DPOTY year in and year out. What that guy is doing is amazing, IMO.

I think he's so good people are forgetting how good he is, and thus overlook him for other players who have a standout season, if that makes any sense lol.

But yes, AP writers shouldn't be choosing these things. Players and coaches should be choosing these, AND the Pro Bowl too.

TACKLE
02-04-2012, 09:45 PM
Ware's an absolutely phenomenal run defender and pass defender for that position so the fact that Suggs was good at it to this year doesn't make him better than Ware who had more sacks with less help, including a drastically worse secondary.

What do you mean Suggs was good at it 'this year'? No disrespect to Ware who I hold a very high opinion of, but if I need to a guy to set the edge, take on pullers and shed blocks in the run game, I'll go take Suggs over him everyday. Suggs has been an elite run defender for most of career and has just really started to peak as a pass rusher these last couple years.

BeerBaron
02-04-2012, 09:45 PM
ahem...

But yes, AP writers shouldn't be choosing these things. Players and coaches should be choosing these, AND the Pro Bowl too.

It would still just be a popularity contest then. Pro coaches have even more on their plates than college coaches who shouldn't be doing any kind of voting. There is no god damn way they can possibly see all of the teams and games in order to justify giving them the right to vote on something like this.

I'd personally have a committee of some kind chosen by the league. Guys who can go back and review every game and talk it out.

And not reporters...they're bias morons with an agenda. Have the committee be made up of former players and coaches who at least have some understanding of the game and aren't currently active, so they aren't ridiculously busy.

descendency
02-04-2012, 09:46 PM
I was hoping Calvin Johnson would get OPOY, although Drew Brees is very deserving.

Zero chance with the way Brees played this year. He broke an unbreakable record. I'm surprised it was such a lopsided MVP vote.

Players and coaches don't have time to do it.

Rosebud
02-04-2012, 09:47 PM
What do you mean Suggs was good at it 'this year'? No disrespect to Ware, but if I need to a guy to set the edge, take on pullers and shed blocks in the run game, I'll go take Suggs over him everyday. Suggs has been an elite run defender for most of career and has just really started to peak as a pass rusher these last couple years.

Nothing really, just poor wording. My point was that Ware was also a really good all around defender, with numbers like his and a secondary that bad, that's a good enough case to earn DPOY.

BaLLiN
02-04-2012, 09:58 PM
Suggs had a great season, but Justin Smith really takes the cake for me. He had such an impact from a position that is more purposed to allow the other players on the defense to make the plays. He was a monster.

Mr. Goosemahn
02-04-2012, 10:06 PM
I'd personally have a committee of some kind chosen by the league. Guys who can go back and review every game and talk it out.

That'd probably be the best idea.

Ness
02-04-2012, 10:44 PM
As far as Suggs not being on. I can't think of a single game where he wasn't a major impact. Even if he wasn't putting up 3 sack games every week, he was doing something else that allowed us to get the win.

He was shut down against the Chargers.

The Alex
02-04-2012, 11:04 PM
Jared Allen was royally screwed out of DPOY. No way, no how was Suggs better.

Thunder&Lightning
02-04-2012, 11:42 PM
Rogers wins by a landslide, brady stays the only unanimous

descendency
02-04-2012, 11:50 PM
Rogers wins by a landslide, brady stays the only unanimous

There was no way Rodgers was going to win unanimously, nor should he have. Brees definitely got jobbed on his vote count. I can't believe he got 2 total votes.

SenorGato
02-05-2012, 12:46 AM
Really excited for Suggs...the next HOF on the Ravens' D after Lewis/Reed...The guy's going on almost a decade of being one of my favorite players, period, and he is FINALLY going to turn 30 only this season.

boknows34
02-05-2012, 02:29 AM
Terrell Suggs won DPOTY? Umm........why?

He called Skip Bayless a douchebag. Instant vote winner. Politicians should try this too. They'd never lose an election.

wicket
02-05-2012, 02:37 AM
still bummed that brees didnt win. Its not that he really got robbed in any of his years but I still cant believe he hasnt won MVP in any of the 2008, 2009 and 2011 seasons. It seems that the reasons not to give it to him in one season all of a sudden are no longer valid when they work in favor of him in the next season.

I really have a feeling that Brees will somehow be destined never to win the MVP.

MetSox17
02-05-2012, 03:24 AM
still bummed that brees didnt win. Its not that he really got robbed in any of his years but I still cant believe he hasnt won MVP in any of the 2008, 2009 and 2011 seasons. It seems that the reasons not to give it to him in one season all of a sudden are no longer valid when they work in favor of him in the next season.

I really have a feeling that Brees will somehow be destined never to win the MVP.

Ware's well on his way to a HoF career and he has yet to win a DPOTY award. One got robbed from him (**** that POS James Harrison), and this year he was well in the running. What he was able to do this season with zero help around him was damn impressive.

yo123
02-05-2012, 03:54 AM

Wait. So Allen had two bad games this year? What a fraud.

cmarq83
02-05-2012, 10:36 AM

You won our sig bet.

NY+Giants=NYG
02-05-2012, 11:53 AM
I figured Allen was a lock to get it. Not sure how I feel about Suggs getting it anyways, but over Allen, that's surprising.

Larry
02-05-2012, 12:13 PM
I think Aldon Smith deserved more DROY votes. Miller only had 19 more solo tackles and played 400 snaps more than Smith.

descendency
02-05-2012, 12:16 PM
I'm still totally shocked that the MVP voting was 48-2.

Seriously... Not only did Aaron Rodgers win in a runaway, Brees didn't get more than 2 votes, and Tom Brady didn't get a single vote?

That's madness.

Shane P. Hallam
02-05-2012, 12:40 PM

Seriously... Not only did Aaron Rodgers win in a runaway, Brees didn't get more than 2 votes, and Tom Brady didn't get a single vote?

That's madness.

Do you think Tom Brady should have won? If not, why would he get a single vote :P

Bree ran away with OPOTY and Rodgers ran away from MVP

tjsunstein
02-05-2012, 12:56 PM
You won our sig bet.
Man of his word, gotta respect it.

I don't get the whole vote count thing, as if it's suppose to be a certain way. Personally, I think it was about right. Brees was recognized as an MVP candidate along with his OPOTY award, Rodgers won by a landslide, and Brady still has a chance at Super Bowl MVP. Now only if Manning could somehow get some sort of notice for the impact on the season he had. Oh, that's right, the Colts are picking first.

I see no problems with the MVP award, or the vote count.

NY+Giants=NYG
02-05-2012, 01:00 PM
Man of his word, gotta respect it.

I don't get the whole vote count thing, as if it's suppose to be a certain way. Personally, I think it was about right. Brees was recognized as an MVP candidate along with his OPOTY award, Rodgers won by a landslide, and Brady still has a chance at Super Bowl MVP. Now only if Manning could somehow get some sort of notice for the impact on the season he had. Oh, that's right, the Colts are picking first.

I see no problems with the MVP award, or the vote count.

I thought the voters got it right. I am glad AR won, as he should have. I know the Saints MB disagreed, but I thought the voters got that category correct.

zachsaints52
02-05-2012, 01:06 PM
Justin Smith is a completely unsexy pick and that hurt him. The AP voters are morons if you couldn't tell by the college football voting they do. They probably scanned his stats and went "meh."

Plus Smith was a bit overshadowed by bigger names on the same team, with Willis and Bowman also getting votes and Aldon Smith getting some for DRotY.

And Allen's team is picking 3rd in the draft. I'm surprised he came as close as he even did.

After seeing Justin Smith in very few games (ala Harbaugh bowl and Saints game) if he was like that all year I wouldve voted him DPOTY too. Just nasty.

I thought the voters got it right. I am glad AR won, as he should have. I know the Saints MB disagreed, but I thought the voters got that category correct.

How can you be the MVP but not the best player on offense? That doesnt make sense. I dont want to go into Brees vs Rodgers anymore, because its pointless and no one will change their mind, but how can you be the Most Valuable Player but not the the best player at your position/

NY+Giants=NYG
02-05-2012, 01:11 PM
After seeing Justin Smith in very few games (ala Harbaugh bowl and Saints game) if he was like that all year I wouldve voted him DPOTY too. Just nasty.

How can you be the MVP but not the best player on offense? That doesnt make sense. I dont want to go into Brees vs Rodgers anymore, because its pointless and no one will change their mind, but how can you be the Most Valuable Player but not the the best player at your position/

I saw that. I think instead of going the co MVP route, I got the sense they gave that MVP, which I think was right to AR, but since Brees broke the record, they gave him the OFPOTY award. I felt like they sort of made both fan bases content, even though a lot of fans from the Saints fan base feel Brees should have gotten the MVP.

Bengalsrocket
02-05-2012, 01:11 PM

Do people really not understand that they're trying to give two different QB's a congratulations for their accomplishments?

boknows34
02-05-2012, 01:47 PM
Offensive Player of the Year is more of a stats based award without factoring team record (see Chris Johnson in 2009 and Drew Brees in 2008 on 8-8 teams)

MVP awards has always heavily factored team success with overall individual performance. (OJ Simpson in 1973 was last non-playoff MVP)

descendency
02-05-2012, 02:17 PM
Do you think Tom Brady should have won? If not, why would he get a single vote :P

Bree ran away with OPOTY and Rodgers ran away from MVP

I could make a case for all 3. I figured a few journalist would have as well.

tjsunstein
02-05-2012, 02:30 PM

I don't think you're ever going to get it. It's not pointless, it's just that Bress doesn't have a stronger case as the votes show and since he's your guy you're bitter.

CJSchneider
02-05-2012, 03:18 PM
I don't think you're ever going to get it. It's not pointless, it's just that Bress doesn't have a stronger case as the votes show and since he's your guy you're bitter.

I will say that as a Saint's fan, I am not bitter that AR won the MVP, but I am surprised that it was as lopsided of a vote as it was. Matt Flynn quite possibly proved that Brees is more valuable to his team than Rodgers is to his, but that's not how the writers look at it. That being the case, I'm over it.

Ness
02-05-2012, 03:24 PM

Well it's certainly possible. I remember a case where Marshall Faulk was voted Offensive Player of the Year in 1999, but Kurt Warner was the MVP. I think Warner was more valuable to that Rams team than Faulk was. It's not night and day, but quarterback always trumps the runningback in my mind.

Mufasa
02-05-2012, 03:34 PM

That's madness.
It's not madness, that's just a stupid way of thinking. Aaron Rodgers should have been MVP, and while Brees had a great year too, he was clearly the right choice. Each voter only has one vote. They have to vote for the one player who they think should win it. If each voter had say 10 votes, they'd probably split it up so Rodgers got 7 and Brees got 3 or something, but that's not how it works. Really Brees shouldn't have got a single vote.

I think Aldon Smith deserved more DROY votes. Miller only had 19 more solo tackles and played 400 snaps more than Smith.
Aldon Smith also played 400 fewer snaps. Therefore he was not a full time player, but more of a situational pass rusher. Part time players don't deserve awards.

zachsaints52
02-06-2012, 03:13 PM
Do people really not understand that they're trying to give two different QB's a congratulations for their accomplishments?

If your the MVP of the league, shouldnt you be the best?

Offensive Player of the Year is more of a stats based award without factoring team record (see Chris Johnson in 2009 and Drew Brees in 2008 on 8-8 teams)

MVP awards has always heavily factored team success with overall individual performance. (OJ Simpson in 1973 was last non-playoff MVP)

Aaron Rodgers won 1 more game then Brees...

And since Rodgers your guy your not going to give a viable answer to my question. Inseatd of actually answering the question, you go the route of placing it on me.

zachsaints52
02-06-2012, 03:14 PM
I will say that as a Saint's fan, I am not bitter that AR won the MVP, but I am surprised that it was as lopsided of a vote as it was. Matt Flynn quite possibly proved that Brees is more valuable to his team than Rodgers is to his, but that's not how the writers look at it. That being the case, I'm over it.

Im not upset with Rodgers either, he had a amazing season. But a 48-2 vote and not even close?

tjsunstein
02-06-2012, 03:17 PM
And since Rodgers your guy your not going to give a viable answer to my question. Inseatd of actually answering the question, you go the route of placing it on me.
What exactly is your question? Why wasnt it closer? The answer is because obviously the writers didn't think it was. I'm not sure what you're looking for.

zachsaints52
02-06-2012, 03:19 PM

What exactly is your question? Why wasnt it closer? The answer is because obviously the writers didn't think it was. I'm not sure what you're looking for.

This 10char. I truly believe if the Packers lost a game around games 8-10 then Brees wouldve been the biggest story of the year, except sharing it with the run at perfection.

Ghost of Juice
02-06-2012, 03:47 PM
I think it was an easy choice. Don't even look at any stats and just watch the throws Rodgers was making all year, he was absolutely incredible. I wasn't a huge fan of him before this year but he made so many plays that I couldn't believe I had to start liking him. He has a mediocre offensive line, no running game and a bad defense but still managed to get 15 regular season wins.

I watched every game Brady played this year and I watched a lot of Brees and Rodgers and Rodgers was clearly the most impressive,

tjsunstein
02-06-2012, 04:18 PM
I think it was an easy choice. Don't even look at any stats and just watch the throws Rodgers was making all year, he was absolutely incredible. I wasn't a huge fan of him before this year but he made so many plays that I couldn't believe I had to start liking him. He has a mediocre offensive line, no running game and a bad defense but still managed to get 15 regular season wins.

I watched every game Brady played this year and I watched a lot of Brees and Rodgers and Rodgers was clearly the most impressive,
The eye test is a long lost argument in the fantasy football era.

bantx
02-06-2012, 04:23 PM
And he also led his team straight out of the playoffs because he discount double choked

this was hilarious

Mufasa
02-06-2012, 04:33 PM
If your the MVP of the league, shouldnt you be the best? Yeah, and Aaron Rodgers was the best.

Aaron Rodgers won 1 more game then Brees...
Aaron Rodgers led his team to the best record in the league, a bye, and home-field advantage. Brees got his team the 3 seed. Plus if you're going to be like that, Brees lost two more games than Rodgers

Im not upset with Rodgers either, he had a amazing season. But a 48-2 vote and not even close?

Because how the voting system works, there's no reason for it to be close. You're looking at it the wrong way. If they voted 1-2-3, Brees would have ran away with every second place vote. But they only get one vote and Rodgers was better. It wasn't by a wide margin, but enough to know he deserved the vote. Brees had an amazing season, no one's trying to say he didn't, it's just unfortunate for him that it happened in the same year Aaron Rodgers had a better one.

Mufasa
02-06-2012, 04:50 PM
Actually, now that I looked at it a bit more, what the hell is the case for Brees? That he threw for 800 more yards? Big whoop.