PDA

View Full Version : Goodell To Consider Eliminating The Pro Bowl

diabsoule
02-05-2012, 10:46 AM
From Adam Schefter: Commissioner Roger Goodell told ESPN's Mike and Mike that, after what he saw last Sunday, the NFL will consider eliminating the Pro Bowl.

https://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter/status/166199460953731073

Personally I'd like to see this happen. No player takes the Pro Bowl seriously and it's a horrible game to watch.

Nalej
02-05-2012, 10:49 AM
Would they still vote for the Pro Bowlers?
It's something to put on a resume.
It would avoid 5 or 6 QBs out of one conference being named Pro Bowlers
(Due to injury, excuse or playing in the Super Bowl)

I don't really watch them but it's an interesting proposition.

Rosebud
02-05-2012, 10:51 AM
I don't really watch all star games in any sports, even ones where they make sense, aka not football, so I'm for this. Maybe make a bigger thing out of the All-Pro team announcements and bring back skills competitions after the superbowl when those All-Pro teams would be announced.

XxXdragonXxX
02-05-2012, 10:51 AM
I'd much rather watch a skills competition, the QB challenge was always the best part of the pro-bowl.

Also, moving the pro-bowl to before the Superbowl was the biggest mistake.

ElectricEye
02-05-2012, 10:52 AM
Eh, truly I could care less. Some people enjoy it and it does generate revenue(pretty sure there was a figure out there that suggested it was the most watched All Star Game out of the major North American sports). It's a crappy, crappy game and I don't ever watch it, but I don't really see the harm in it if it continues to make money for the league.

...but I certainly won't be shedding any tears if the league decides to go in another direction. I just find it hard to believe they will if it's still making money.

Shane P. Hallam
02-05-2012, 10:55 AM
Would they still vote for the Pro Bowlers?

They would have to due to player contracts. NFLPA will fight to keep the Pro Bowl I'd imagine.

SchizophrenicBatman
02-05-2012, 10:57 AM
Would be the first good thing Goodell has done as commish

BradysKnee
02-05-2012, 10:57 AM
I think I'd actually prefer skill challenges. Maybe pool points in events and such.

Jvig43
02-05-2012, 11:05 AM
I think this is a good idea, but since Goodell is the one making it I'll have to just ***** about it.

BeerBaron
02-05-2012, 11:06 AM
I have some doubts that it will be eliminated completely, however I did read some ideas that would make it more interesting.

Obviously, add the skill challenges again.

Another was, instead of AFC/NFC, have a fantasy draft the night before to make the teams.

Or maybe combine those ideas, and draft multiple teams, like 4 maybe, and those "teams" compete in the skill challenges.

Rosebud
02-05-2012, 11:24 AM
I have some doubts that it will be eliminated completely, however I did read some ideas that would make it more interesting.

Another was, instead of AFC/NFC, have a fantasy draft the night before to make the teams.

Or maybe combine those ideas, and draft multiple teams, like 4 maybe, and those "teams" compete in the skill challenges.

I thought that that worked very well for the NHL this year as the team Chara v Team Alfredsson relays where the most entertained I've been by an All Star event in a very long time.

nepg
02-05-2012, 11:25 AM
Good. It's pointless. The players don't want to play, and I don't blame them.

BeerBaron
02-05-2012, 11:44 AM
I thought that that worked very well for the NHL this year as the team Chara v Team Alfredsson relays where the most entertained I've been by an All Star event in a very long time.

I knew the NHL did something like that but wasn't sure exactly what they did.

Anywho, now there's this:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/05/next-years-pro-bowl-likely-headed-to-new-orleans/

They're likely going back to playing the Pro Bowl in the same city as the Superbowl...New Orleans in this case.

I'm sure the players will just LOVE that. We'll be down to the 6th and 7th alternates again most likely because players just aren't going to want to go.

Brent
02-05-2012, 12:06 PM
Just make it a flag football game.

descendency
02-05-2012, 12:14 PM
Playing it anywhere but Hawaii is a stupid idea.

They could do so much to improve the viewer experience. 12 million people watch it.

JRTPlaya21
02-05-2012, 12:20 PM
Just make it a flag football game.

Exactly Brent. Or maybe 7 on 7.

tjsunstein
02-05-2012, 12:44 PM
I haven't watched the Pro Bowl since Sean Taylor's days.

zachsaints52
02-05-2012, 12:50 PM
I'd much rather watch a skills competition, the QB challenge was always the best part of the pro-bowl.

I fully agree with this statement.

I think I'd actually prefer skill challenges. Maybe pool points in events and such.

I miss the skills challenges as well.

The thing is though, your talking about drafting a 40ish man roster. I personally would watch every second, but most people would get bored with it.

MetSox17
02-05-2012, 12:55 PM
Doubt the NFLPA would allow this to happen because of all the incentives in contracts to players if they make pro-bowl appearances. This may just be Goodell acting like a douche because the NFL was embarrassed by the fraud of a game that was put on last week.

Brent
02-05-2012, 01:09 PM
Exactly Brent. Or maybe 7 on 7.
I was more commenting on how no one gives a **** about the game, they're just collecting the check.

hockey619
02-05-2012, 01:12 PM
From Adam Schefter: Commissioner Roger Goodell told ESPN's Mike and Mike that, after what he saw last Sunday, the NFL will consider eliminating the Pro Bowl.

https://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter/status/166199460953731073

Personally I'd like to see this happen. No player takes the Pro Bowl seriously and it's a horrible game to watch.

i was thinking about this the other day and here is where i ended up:

they should push the senior bowl back to being the week in between the SB and conference championships. During the SB, there should be a skills comp where the pros show there stuff and the college guys get to watch or something like that or scrimmage with them 7-on-7 just for fun stuff. idk, but the pro bowl is a total waste of time and after that humiliating showing last week, it wont be bringing in as much money in the future.

BaLLiN
02-05-2012, 01:14 PM

Skills competition only, yeah Id like that. In a world where Alex Mack gets a 55 yard touchdown off a lateral, you know something is wrong. I miss Sean Taylor, he didn't play this ***** ****, he laid out Moorman on that fake punt.

nepg
02-05-2012, 01:21 PM
Robert Edwards ruined the Pro Bowl, to be honest. They stopped doing fun things around the event like the skills competitions and the flag football after that.

I liked the move to before the Super Bowl, but it's just not something people are interested in, really.

If they make it the same city as the Super Bowl, teams/markets are going to ***** like crazy because that would generate soo much extra revenue on top of what that city was already getting from the Super Bowl itself... It's really not fair that only like 6 cities get to host the Super Bowl in the first place.

boknows34
02-05-2012, 01:34 PM
Cheerleader Lingerie Game.

kalbears13
02-05-2012, 01:55 PM
Cheerleader Lingerie Game.

I was thinking this, but instead of playing on a field they play on trampolines and instead of wearing clothes, they don't.

BaLLiN
02-05-2012, 02:00 PM
I was thinking this, but instead of playing on a field they play on trampolines and instead of wearing clothes, they don't.

I think I got a boner just reading this...

I did! I did!
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/1494/95591-91854-tweety-bird_large.jpg

Ness
02-05-2012, 02:03 PM
This is maybe the first time I've read a potential decision by Goodell that I've actually liked. The Pro Bowl needs to be vanquished. Most players don't take it seriously and it only invites injury. Not to mention a lot of the top players don't even go due to already being injured, the potential to be injured which can effect a player's status if they are going to be a free agent, and simply not caring. I hope this happens.

mqtirishfan
02-05-2012, 03:23 PM
The Pro Bowl is pointless. Football is too physical of a sport for an all-star game to work like in the other sports.

Mufasa
02-05-2012, 03:46 PM
They're not going to get rid of it. It's easy money. They won't give that up just because it's a crappy game.

Stash
02-05-2012, 03:52 PM
I hope they get rid of it, it's pretty lame. The skills competition was fun though, they should bring that back.

OzTitan
02-05-2012, 08:13 PM
I'm sure fans in Hawaii get a good kick out of it. It's pretty harmless, probably better than nothing at all, but I'd probably prefer a skills comp style setup.

Philliez01
02-05-2012, 10:47 PM
I like it. It's fun to see something laidback, it's not supposed to be "real football" like all All-Star sports.

But I think they should make a weekend out of it. Do something that'll generate revenue.

Friday: Skill Competitions (remember the ESPN special they had a few years ago where all the players went to Wide World of Sports to compete?)

Saturday: Alumni Flag-Football. Brett Favre would look like a kid out there. Make it interesting. USFL vs. UFL all-stars, D1 vs. FCS/DII/NAIA/DIII alums, Komen v. Planned Parenthood.

Sunday: Pro Bowl.