PDA

View Full Version : New England Patriots: What Can Be Done?

Vikes99ej
02-05-2012, 09:03 PM
Seriously, they might never win another game again. Stick a fork in them.

Rosebud
02-05-2012, 09:04 PM
They just need to not play the giants in the superbowl.

Vox Populi
02-05-2012, 09:06 PM
Find replacements for Ocho and Branch.

Nalej
02-05-2012, 09:12 PM
Find replacements for Ocho and Branch.

Immediately.

VJax and a rookie WR will do

BufFan71
02-05-2012, 09:20 PM
they need real receivers...

bearfan
02-05-2012, 09:23 PM
They were in the Super Bowl...

Jimmy
02-05-2012, 09:26 PM
They were in the Super Bowl...

this pretty much

Halsey
02-05-2012, 09:27 PM
They need to go back in time and do a better job of adding offensive playmakers this past offseason. Ochocino and the two RBs they drafted didn't help much this season. Think how good they would have been if they'd added better players at WR and RB to go along with the quality weapons they already had.

bigbuc
02-05-2012, 09:33 PM
Brandon lloyd will be a Pat next season.

Nalej
02-05-2012, 09:35 PM
I'll take it.

Borat
02-05-2012, 09:42 PM
They could try to actually use their plethora of top picks instead of building their team around a massive amount of late rounders.

Nalej
02-05-2012, 09:45 PM
They could try to actually use their plethora of top picks instead of building their team around a massive amount of late rounders.

haha, now you're just being crazy.

Jvig43
02-05-2012, 09:46 PM

This times a millionbajillion.

Pat Sims 90
02-05-2012, 09:47 PM
Go and pay a 1st and 3rd for Mike Wallace and sign Brandon Lloyd in FA.

Halsey
02-05-2012, 09:48 PM

They lost the Super Bowl by 4 points.

Shane P. Hallam
02-05-2012, 09:49 PM
Go and pay a 1st and 3rd for Mike Wallace and sign Brandon Lloyd in FA.

There is no 1st and 3rd tender under the new CBA.

Borat
02-05-2012, 09:51 PM
They lost the Super Bowl by 4 points.

Which is amazing when you look at the lack of talent they have. That secondary is pathetic.

Babylon
02-05-2012, 09:53 PM
Offensively they were good enough to win had they a healthy Rob Gronkowski, he was pretty much a non factor out there.

Defensively i've railed on and on about the lack of them going after a Clay Matthews or trading up for a Marcel Dareus but i've been talked down to for all the so called great moves they've made in the draft. Did anyone on that defense make a play today?

BloodBrother
02-05-2012, 09:53 PM
They should trade Brady and sign Peyton Manning. Brady can't get the job done anymore as evidenced by the last 2 Super Bowl's he was in

Babylon
02-05-2012, 09:55 PM
They should trade Brady and sign Peyton Manning. Brady can't get the job done anymore as evidenced by the last 2 Super Bowl's he was in

The problem with the internet is you cant tell when someone has their tongue stuck in their cheek.

Halsey
02-05-2012, 09:55 PM
Which is amazing when you look at the lack of talent they have. That secondary is pathetic.

They don't need to completely change the way they draft just because they lost a close Super Bowl. Their lack of talent has won a lot of games the past few years. They just need to tweak things a bit.

descendency
02-05-2012, 09:59 PM
In the slums of Peru, the Patriots dynasty lives on!

(they get the "Championship" hats and shirts)

BloodBrother
02-05-2012, 10:00 PM
The problem with the internet is you cant tell when someone has their tongue stuck in their cheek.

I like that though about the internet

for the record, obviously not a srs post

Borat
02-05-2012, 10:01 PM
They don't need to completely change the way they draft just because they lost a close Super Bowl. Their lack of talent has won a lot of games the past few years. They just need to tweak things a bit.

Hey, doesn't matter to me cause they're not the 49ers. I welcome them to continue to ignore the holes on their team and draft a bunch of backups.

WCH
02-05-2012, 10:02 PM

LMAO! I got the joke even before noticing the white subtext. Well done, my friend. Well done. ;)

BloodBrother
02-05-2012, 10:03 PM

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-4yc5XhLAtJM/Tx-sr0fExTI/AAAAAAAACjM/T4bdPo0P3xI/s1600/patriots19-0.jpg

these kids are stoked

descendency
02-05-2012, 10:03 PM
The Patriots need a WR that can replace Branch and Ochocinco. Justin Blackmon, Alshon Jeffery, or Michael Floyd would be a nice complement to Tiquan Underwood (when he resigns).

They also need a big play edge rusher. I personally am warming to Dont'a Hightower at 31.

Then they need to target a safety in round 2, like Harrison Smith are Markelle Martin.

jayceheathman
02-05-2012, 10:05 PM
They will trade more picks in this draft so by 2025 they will have every pick in the draft.

WCH
02-05-2012, 10:07 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-4yc5XhLAtJM/Tx-sr0fExTI/AAAAAAAACjM/T4bdPo0P3xI/s1600/patriots19-0.jpg

these kids are stoked

One of the greatest dynasties ever, behind Tarkenton's Vikings and Kelly's Bills. Their only blemish would be the three SB's that they blew early in Brady's career...

descendency
02-05-2012, 10:08 PM
They will trade more picks in this draft so by 2025 they will have every pick in the draft.

But in 2025, the greatest QB, WR, OT, DE, CB, and LB to ever play the game will come out and Belichick will yet again be a genius.

Ravens1991
02-05-2012, 11:38 PM
how many picks do the patriots have in the upcoming drafts?

Nalej
02-05-2012, 11:40 PM
2 1st, 2 2nd, 3rd, 7th (rounders)

off the top of my head

bigbuc
02-06-2012, 12:40 AM
They need Melvin Ingram or Nick Perry

Nalej
02-06-2012, 12:42 AM
...or both

Cudders
02-06-2012, 02:34 AM
For once, Belichick has to address this teamís needs with an aggressiveness that has been uncharacteristic of him thus far.

Between resourceful free agent additions and utilizing his wealth of draft picks, Belichick needs to add some athleticism to the perimeter on offense and infuse some talent into each level of that defense. Belichick gets a lot of credit heaped upon him for how he maneuvers around and works the draft. Much of it is deserved. But there comes a time when newer strategies must replace old habits. For New England, that time is now. The clock is ticking on Belichick and Brady and their championship window is shrinking. Why mortgage any more opportunities with arguably the greatest coach and quarterback of all-time? Assets that can be integral pieces of another championship push now are more valuable than assets that can be a part of the post-Brady Patriots. The longer Belichick leaves useful talent on the board in favor of future considerations, the longer he delays full system integration for potential young contributors, and the longer New Englandís odds get of adding a fourth Lombardi to their collection.

If that is to happen, Belichick needs to get a little savvier in the personnel department and stop squandering opportunities to improve the team in the present. Because his football acumen and Bradyís arm are compensating for the rest of the teamís inadequacies at this point.

Nikolas
02-06-2012, 03:00 AM
If Mario Williams hits FA, do the Pats go for him?

Vaylor
02-06-2012, 03:19 AM

Nope. Mario is going to command a fat contract and this team does not make those type of moves.

TheBoyWonder22
02-06-2012, 03:22 AM
If Larry Fitzgerald hits FA, do the Pats go for him?
Hooray 1K!

Vaylor
02-06-2012, 03:33 AM
If Larry Fitzgerald hits FA, do the Pats go for him?
Hooray 1K!
Uhh what? Larry Fitzgerald won't hit FA for a long time.

AntoinCD
02-06-2012, 03:47 AM
The Pats have over £20 million in cap space and will really only need to keep Welker. If they can get one or two secondary players and an interior defensive lineman who can make plays in the draft then they can concentrate on signing Welker, another WR(probably Brandon Lloyd) and another impact player.

This loss hurts but go back through the Pats team forum, no one expected them to do anything this year in the playoffs. Just way too many holes.

I don't like making snap judgements but I would hesitate to resign Branch, would get rid of Ocho, let BJGE leave in FA and let Matt Light leave(unless he is willing to take a team friendly deal).

What they need for next year(and they will be better next year) is a WR who can make plays on the outside. When the offense is rolling with Gronk, Hernandez and Welker it's great but if it breaks down then they get into a bit of a rut. Having that extra option can only be better.

As for the two RBs they drafted. If Ridley doesn't fumble against Denver he sees the bulk of the carries the rest of the way. He was just so much more explosive than BJGE. Vereen got hurt in an already shortened offseason and Belichick pretty much redshirted him. I definitely prefer a RB trio of Woodhead, Ridley and Vereen over Woodhead, BJGE and Faulk.

Defensively it's kinda weird. For the first time in what seems like 5 or 6 years I'm not screaming for a pass rusher. I'm not sure if it was a one year thing but Mark Anderson was a beast and if Carter can come back healthy then they can rush the passer from the outside.

Vince Wilfork needs a good, penetrating player beside him though. Kyle Love is nice but it showed last night that they just couldn't get interior pressure against a pretty average interior offensive line. Fletcher Cox, Michael Brockers, Devon Still...right now I'm not even too fussy but I want one of them.

In the secondary it's really bad. Devin McCourty just had a bad year but he has so much talent that I still hold out hope he turns it around. Kyle Arrington is a good physical CB who showed he is probably best in the slot. Molden and Moore both made a few plays last night but neither should be on the field seeing regular snaps. Janoris Jenkins or Stephon Gilmore at the end of the first would be ideal.

Pat Chung is simply a guy who runs around fast and lowers his shoulder. He doesn't play the ball and often times is out of position leading to big plays. Don't even get me started with Ihedigbo. Markelle Martin would be my choice in the draft(2nd round) unless they go for someone like Michael Griffen if he becomes available in FA.

Razor
02-06-2012, 04:33 AM
2 1st, 2 2nd, 3rd, 7th (rounders)

off the top of my head

Nope. We have 2 1st, 2 2nd, 3rd and our fourth rounder. But I'm sure that we'll end up with 13 7th round picks or so when all is said and done.

Philliez01
02-06-2012, 07:55 AM
Patriots will interview Bill Polian as a special consultant.

/BeerBaron dies.

gpngc
02-06-2012, 08:13 AM
They could use a deep threat, but it's not absolutely necessary (they did just go to the ******* Super Bowl with a great offense).

They could also use a better RB (especially on passing downs), but may have already invested too much using two premium picks on backs last year.

But simply put, this team just needs better defensive personnel. Pass rushers, defensive backs, you name it. This team has been poor at drafting. The Giants, on the other hand, have been sensational. There's part of the discrepancy (comparing the OLs and defensive personnel of each team). Reese >>>> Belichick. Maybe BB needs to get Holmgrened (lose his GM duties).

And they just needed to play better in the big game. The Pats lost that game just as much as the Giants won it... it's not like Welker needs to be replaced, but he failed to make plays yesterday... that's sports... there's no answer... all that matters is how well you play on that day... you are only as good as your next game.

gpngc
02-06-2012, 08:17 AM
And I know it's the morning after, but the Pats lost yesterday to a really good team with their best player at about 50% (Gronk was PLODDING yesterday). They didn't beat anyone good all year, really. Coasted into the playoffs, beat Tim Tebow then got a CunGift... (Jesus, if I'm the Ravens I'm still irate). This season may have been a success, all things considered.

BradysKnee
02-06-2012, 09:20 AM
And I know it's the morning after, but the Pats lost yesterday to a really good team with their best player at about 50% (Gronk was PLODDING yesterday). They didn't beat anyone good all year, really. Coasted into the playoffs, beat Tim Tebow then got a CunGift... (Jesus, if I'm the Ravens I'm still irate). This season may have been a success, all things considered.

You are right. This was a very over achieving year all things considered, and after reflection I realize we need to be happy with it. We are very young, plenty of cap space and draft picks to build on for the next year(s). So its not like 2007 where it felt like it was our last chance.

AntoinCD
02-06-2012, 09:40 AM
But simply put, this team just needs better defensive personnel. Pass rushers, defensive backs, you name it. This team has been poor at drafting. The Giants, on the other hand, have been sensational. There's part of the discrepancy (comparing the OLs and defensive personnel of each team). Reese >>>> Belichick. Maybe BB needs to get Holmgrened (lose his GM duties).

The Giants have been a better drafting team than the Pats recently that's clearly obvious. But where are you getting this whole thing about the offensive line???

The Patriots offensive line has very good players and fabulous depth. The Patriots offensive line got overrated for quite a while but now most would agree that it is one of the top units in the NFL. For every QB drop back they give up a sack something like once every 25. The Giants give up a sack once every 15 drop backs. The Giants defensive personnel is very good, especially along the defensive line. But their biggest weakness is their offensive line and that is a strength of the Patriots

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
02-06-2012, 09:50 AM

I was in Dominican a few weeks after the first Giants-Patriots SB, and unfortunately, I missed it, but when we were walking down the street, my buddy nudged me and was just like "Did you see that? That guy has a Patriots 19-0 shirt!"

Prowler
02-06-2012, 09:56 AM
Patriots will interview Bill Polian as a special consultant.

/BeerBaron dies.

lol. "We need smaller, less talented defenders in this secondary. Also, lets cut Mayo and Spikes. They are too big to play linebacker. In fact, I want McCourty and Arrington moved up to replace them. Finally, lets spend both of our first round picks on running backs this year."

Thunder&Lightning
02-06-2012, 10:28 AM
What that the last time we see Tom Brady in a super bowl?

Nalej
02-06-2012, 10:58 AM
What that the last time we see Tom Brady in a super bowl?

I was thinking about this today. Brady and BB already have the record for HC/QB combo SB appearances.
So essentially it seems like the odds are against them to return... ever again.

With that said, the Pats have a solid core going forward and I think they're only better next year.
Just depends on how HOU, BAL, NYJ and PIT improve by too though

DraftSavant
02-06-2012, 11:09 AM

^^^^^

Why do you guys think Belichick was so unnaturally giggly and happy at media week? He knows that he doesn't have a Superbowl roster. The only above .500 team they beat ALL YEAR was the Ravens.

The Polian jokes are funny, but this NE team is pretty damn finesse. They've gotten completely out-bullied the last 3 times they've played the Giants (especially up front on the DL). They need enforcers - anyone who can intimidate an offense.

Nalej
02-06-2012, 11:12 AM
^^^^^

Why do you guys think Belichick was so unnaturally giggly and happy at media week? He knows that he doesn't have a Superbowl roster. The only above .500 team they beat ALL YEAR was the Ravens.

The Polian jokes are funny, but this NE team is pretty damn finesse. They've gotten completely out-bullied the last 3 times they've played the Giants (especially up front on the DL). They need enforcers - anyone who can intimidate an offense.

A 5-tech, OLB and a FS is needed via FA/draft.
Allow Spike and Chung to play to their strengths.
They're the two guys on the D that can bring the hammer down with some big hits.
This offseason will be interesting to watch.

DraftSavant
02-06-2012, 11:21 AM
They desperately need another 5-tech, because Kyle Love got his ass kicked all night long, and Wilfork had a lot of trouble disengaging from the double team while lined up at end (he really struggled with it the last time these two teams played, too).

Nalej
02-06-2012, 11:32 AM
Love is essentially another NT out there. We really don't have any 5-techs.
I hope to God BB drafts one in the draft... pleeaaaaasssseeee.....

Brockers, Cox or Crick would do just fine.

bigbuc
02-06-2012, 11:56 AM
Guys let me ask you this? With the two TE's they have now controlling inside the numbers do they not pay Wes and go after a big time outside the numbers WR like Bowe or VJax?

Jvig43
02-06-2012, 11:58 AM
They will pay Welker (although he better take a modest contract after that performance last night) and I hope to God go after someone in free agency or in the draft.

Complex
02-06-2012, 12:08 PM
“You [have] to catch the ball when you’re supposed to catch the ball,” she said in a video posted by TheInsider.com, via TBL. “My husband cannot f–king throw the ball and catch the ball at the same time. I can’t believe they dropped the ball so many times.”

Even Gisele knows that patriots need better WR's.

bigbuc
02-06-2012, 12:09 PM
They will pay Welker (although he better take a modest contract after that performance last night) and I hope to God go after someone in free agency or in the draft.

The guy has had four 100+ catch seasons with four 1000+ seasons. All with you guys the Pats under paying him. If I'm Wes no way do I give you a discount, but Wes to me looks like one player that understands where he is and that paying for a owner that loves you. A HOF Qb, and a first class team sometimes is better than the 4 to 6 million extra he'll get from a different team.

cmarq83
02-06-2012, 12:43 PM
The problems the Patriots have right now are fairly obvious as others have pointed out. They need a receiver who can beat man coverage, and a corner who can play man coverage. These spots have been a problem for years now. At various points yesterday Brady had all day to throw, but nobody was able to get open. A part of that is because Gronk was a shell of himself, but they need somebody who can make plays on the outside.

This team never gets blown out, and it's usually one or two plays that are the difference when they lose. If we have a corner who can take somebody out of the game then it gets easier for the defense as a whole to make a play. Also we need a receiver who can hold on to the freaking ball. 3 seasons have now been ruined due to drops in the second half that would have been for big gains.

Sign V-Jax, Bowe, Johnson, Jackson, or Lloyd in free agency and trade up for Claiborne. Trade 27, 31, and 47 to move up to 5. Get a safety in the second and let the magic happen.

Between the hashes this is one of the best teams in the league. They just need to start winning some battles on the outside too.

bigbuc
02-06-2012, 01:02 PM
If they move to the top ten I think they should go for Coples. Perfect for the 3/4 4/3 thing bill has going on.

cmarq83
02-06-2012, 01:05 PM
If they move to the top ten I think they should go for Coples. Perfect for the 3/4 4/3 thing bill has going on.

Meh, honestly if they retain Carter/Anderson and keep doing the odd front I think they'll be ok for now. They usually win the battle of the LOS against most teams and actually did decent getting after the QB this year. However, we keep getting burned through the air, and having guys who can actually play man coverage will allow us to be more aggressive, and lead to us making plays.

K Train
02-06-2012, 01:31 PM
i think its clear that the only answer here is RYAN MALLET

bigbluedefense
02-06-2012, 01:36 PM
^^^^^

Chung and Spikes are a good start. They need to be more violent on defense. I want to see a nasty physical 5 tech and a big strong pass rusher on that team.

Another safety wouldn't hurt either. Especially since they run so many 2 deep shells.

noondog
02-06-2012, 02:02 PM
I think the Pats have leaned a little too heavily on reclamation projects and role players the past few years. They need to make a splash and pick up a game-changer on D imo...I could see them coming out of nowhere to snag Mario Williams if he ever hit FA.

Jvig43
02-06-2012, 02:05 PM

God Dammit I was just coming in here to post this. (facetiously of course)

Babylon
02-06-2012, 02:11 PM
I think the Pats have leaned a little too heavily on reclamation projects and role players the past few years. They need to make a splash and pick up a game-changer on D imo...I could see them coming out of nowhere to snag Mario Williams if he ever hit FA.

Exactly. Bringing back a Randy Moss, going after Ocho Cinco, to some extent even bringing back Branch, doesn't work.

I've been wanting them to go after the likes of Clay Matthews, trade up for an AJ Green or a Julio Jones, for what seems like forever.

I think if Belichick has any faults at all it's how he seems to relish going after all these 2nd round picks. At the end of the day you're brining in guys that are the 5th or 6th best at their positions.

Don Vito
02-06-2012, 02:19 PM
I can't see us signing Williams, too much money. He would be an amazing addition and a definite upgrade.

We are not as soft as people think, we played two of the toughest teams in the league in the Ravens and Giants and we were not getting pushed around. We just need more attitude on defense.

Wilfork/Mayo/Chung/Spikes are legit. Spikes is asked to do a little more than he should, but he is a nasty presence in the middle.

The jury is out on McCourty but he will still be a starter, I just can't believe how much he has regressed. I like Kyle Arrington, he plays tough and can actually make some plays he just didn't when it counted this year. He should still start or be a great nickle guy. Dowling will be back next year too, he has talent.

Mark Anderson and Carter can get the job done. They are not elite, but they are better than anything we've had in a while. I still would like to see us try and upgrade the pass rush in the draft or FA.

Deaderick and Kyle Love are just what we always said they were, role players. They are both decent but we need to add a legit DT/5 tech.

I like Sterling Moore, he shouldn't be a starter but I could see him hanging around. Molden probably won't be back but he has had his moments.'

What we need more than anything is guys who can make plays and bring an attitude. All of these guys like Sterling Moore and Kyle Love are decent players and good finds, but we can't have 7 or 8 role players starting on defense in the Super Bowl. We need to pick up a corner like Janoris Jenkins who will make plays, he may gamble a bit but we need someone who won't give up 10 yards every time he is thrown at. After that, we need a safety who can actually play the pass. Chung is very good at what he does but getting a legit centerfielder would make him a lot better too. We need a DL too, Brockers is the perfect fit and I think EE mentioned trading up for him which I would be all for.

On offense, we need a receiver or two. The TE's and Welker are great, but we need someone who can stretch the field and make plays. That is the common theme, we need playmakers on both sides of the ball. We have a great team and we are always in the game no matter who we play, but having a home run threat is what makes us win games like last nights. Adding a big play receiver to this offense would benefit everyone on the unit, just like adding a FS/stud DL/CB would make Wilfork, Chung, Mayo and everyone else better.

We have the picks to do all of this too. I would rank our needs as:

1. Safety
2. DL
3. WR
4. Corner
5. Pass rusher

All of those being first round possibilities, maybe even a running back. I love BJGE and Woody though. They both had great games last night.

DraftSavant
02-06-2012, 02:19 PM

God Dammit I was just coming in here to post this. (facetiously of course)

SHOULDA DRAFTED TEBOW

bigbuc
02-06-2012, 03:37 PM
A player that going to hit the open market that has Pats all over him is Ahmad Brooks.

Vaylor
02-06-2012, 03:46 PM
A player that going to hit the open market that has Pats all over him is Ahmad Brooks.

Is he a big upgrade over Mark Anderson?

bigbuc
02-06-2012, 03:54 PM
Is he a big upgrade over Mark Anderson?

I think so. Big, Strong, can set the edge. I have Anderson as a 3rd down pass rusher. If you guys can sign Anderson on the cheap i would , but if the guy wants big money for his 10 sack season i would let him walk in a heart beat.

Brothgar
02-06-2012, 03:58 PM
I was in Dominican a few weeks after the first Giants-Patriots SB, and unfortunately, I missed it, but when we were walking down the street, my buddy nudged me and was just like "Did you see that? That guy has a Patriots 19-0 shirt!"

You should have bought it.

Prowler
02-06-2012, 04:22 PM
Has somebody said, "sign Peyton Manning" yet? Someone has to be able to beat the little Manning.

Vikes99ej
04-05-2012, 03:28 AM
The Pats are doomed.