PDA

View Full Version : Would they? Should they?

bigbuc
02-06-2012, 08:49 PM
With the off season here a lot of team have big time questions...

Would the Pats let Wes Welker walk if they could sign Mario Williams?

Should the Bears let Matt Forte walk and turn that money into a WR?

Would NO's be dumb enough to Tag Brees and not give him the long term deal?

Should Philly let Jackson walk with his huge ego and bad attitude?

Would Peyton Manning really go to AZ over the Jets or Phins?

Should SF look for a new starting QB?

Would NO's really have two 8 million plus OG's on the roster?

Should the Texans pay Foster over Williams?

Would GB really let Flynn walk for nothing?

Should the Lions give CJ a 120 million dollar deal?

Would KC let Bowe hit the open market?

Should GB give Finley all that money?

vidae
02-06-2012, 08:54 PM

Would the Pats let Wes Welker walk if they could sign Mario Williams? No.

Should the Bears let Matt Forte walk and turn that money into a WR? Hells no.

Would NO's be dumb enough to Tag Brees and not give him the long term deal? No, they're not stupid.

Should Philly let Jackson walk with his huge ego and bad attitude? Yes.

Would Peyton Manning really go to AZ over the Jets or Phins? I think so.

Should SF look for a new starting QB? No.

Would NO's really have two 8 million plus OG's on the roster? They should. They're two of the best in the game.

Should the Texans pay Foster over Williams? Yes. Williams isn't a great scheme fit.

Would GB really let Flynn walk for nothing? Probably not. Franchise then trade.

Should the Lions give CJ a 120 million dollar deal? Absolutely.

Would KC let Bowe hit the open market? Not a snowballs chance in hell that happens.

Should GB give Finley all that money? No. He isn't worth a lot of money.

Responses in bold.

bearfan
02-06-2012, 10:04 PM
Bears are well over the cap, we should be able to keep Forte and snag a decent FA WR

bigbuc
02-06-2012, 10:21 PM
Bears are well over the cap, we should be able to keep Forte and snag a decent FA WR

Over? Or under?

K Train
02-06-2012, 10:36 PM
i cant wait to see calvins contract #'$

ChiFan24
02-06-2012, 10:58 PM
Bears have plenty of cap room. If some team wants to give a first rounder for Forte though, I would listen.

Brothgar
02-07-2012, 01:17 AM

Would the Pats let Wes Welker walk if they could sign Mario Williams? That would be robbing Peter to pay Paul or Robbing Tom to Pay the Defense. Either way yes Tom has turned ****** WRs in to gold for years now but he can't do it on his own.

Should the Bears let Matt Forte walk and turn that money into a WR? Not only no but HELLS to the NAW wait... Yes bears do it. MUHAHAHAHAHAHA

Would NO's be dumb enough to Tag Brees and not give him the long term deal? I doubt it.

Should Philly let Jackson walk with his huge ego and bad attitude? Hard question. My first instinct is yes it is the ultimate talent vs attitude question. If I were the GM I'd pay him I think the attitude will subside.

Would Peyton Manning really go to AZ over the Jets or Phins? Phins maybe Cards not likely although he could be tempted by fitz. Jets no they don't have the cap room IMO

Should SF look for a new starting QB? Alex is a good game manager so don't jump at an unproven commodity but if a QB like Peyton becomes available then you should run the risk when the reward is likely back to back to back super bowls.

Would NO's really have two 8 million plus OG's on the roster? In short no they can always get one in the second round. if Nicks wants 8 mil per he will have to go somewhere else.

Should the Texans pay Foster over Williams? This is hard The D was fine without Mario but the offense would be just as fine with Tate but I'd let Mario go or to a franchise and trade.

Would GB really let Flynn walk for nothing? Yes lets face it franchising Flynn the Pack has no real negotiating power because Flynn would be making more than Rodgers at that point. Every team in the league would wait it out as free agency went by leaving the Packers unable to resign all their talent or sign any new talent. Add to the fact that basically the Packers would have no real leverage in the discussion its not like Flynn has started a full season.

Should the Lions give CJ a 120 million dollar deal? Whatever it ******* takes

Would KC let Bowe hit the open market? They could but I think better sense will prevail

Yes it seems pretty obvious that the TE is becoming more and more important in the league.

49erNation85
02-07-2012, 01:25 AM
Sf should try and jump on Manning but I highly doubt that even happens with Smith at the starting gig.I just wish we could cut ties and move on.But really besides Manning there really is no other QB worth taking a gamble on who could be no better then Smith. Though I would almost take Flynn over Smith as well but if he leaves GB he is going to the Phins ( rumor any how)

BeerBaron
02-07-2012, 07:28 AM

No. Mike Wallace though...now that would be interesting.

Absolutely not. Before he got banged up last year, Forte proved to be a top 5 overall back in the league. I don't value the position that much but if you've got a guy who can perform in a well-rounded fashion behind that bad of an o-line, I think you keep him around.

No. He'll get a long term deal eventually. They may need to tag him first and work out a deal from there however.

Yes. He'll demand more money than a midget headache like him is worth. Let someone else deal with him.

Absolutely. Far less drama there than with the Jets and Arizona has Larry Fitzgerald. Neither the Jets nor Dolphins have a guy to throw to even close to that level.

They should do their homework on available QBs, but I think they end up with Smith again next year.

Seems unlikely, though not because they're guards. It's just too much expense to put into any one position, regardless of what that position is.

Absolutely. They don't need Mario.

Yes. Franchising him carries the big risk of no one wanting to trade for a guy with 2 career starts who will be making $16 million guaranteed as the starting point for a new contract.

Yes. He's an elite talent and makes their offense go.

Seems unlikely.

No. Finley is an annoying ************ who drops too many passes for that offense built on precision. Franchise him and see if he improves, otherwise, move on. Let him be someone elses problem because seriously **** that guy and his stupid ass ******-with-an-ice-cream-cone first down dances.

Answers in boldedness.

Prowler
02-07-2012, 07:31 AM
Giving Calvin Johnson a $120 million dollar deal substantially lowers his cap number, so its a no brainer. Pay him more than Fitz and they will still save $5-6 million next year.

Beano
02-07-2012, 09:17 AM
Seeing what Larry Fitzgerald has managed to achieve with the guff he's had to deal with at QB over the last 2 seasons, and remembering what he achieved with Kurt Warner, the idea of even a 75% fit Manning throwing him the ball sends shivers down my spine.

Keep the NFC West a Manning free zone please.

jrdrylie
02-07-2012, 10:45 AM

If they could only sign one of them, I would go with Mario Williams. Wes Welker is good, but I think Brady makes him look better than he actually is. If they let him walk, they could probably get decent production in that spot from someone else.

The Bears should not let Matt Forte walk. He is their best playmaker. Sure they need a receiver. But truthfully, I'd rather they pay Forte and make a Julio Jones type trade to try and get Blackmon than let Forte leave and make a play for a guy like Vincent Jackson.

I don't think tagging Brees would be dumb at all. He isn't going to leave New Orleans. Tagging him gives them more time to work out a good deal.

DeSean Jackson is an overrated, one-dimensional, injury prone receiver with a terrible attitude. The Eagles would be absolute morons if they did not let him walk.

I think Manning goes to Washington.

Yes San Francisco should consider getting a new QB. But who is out there? If they could get Manning, that would be smart. But would signing Matt Flynn be that much of an upgrade?

The Texans should not pay Foster over Williams. Ben Tate looked excellent backing up Foster. Paying a running back is almost never a great idea. It is even dumber when you have a competent backup.

I guess Green Bay could franchise Flynn. But then he would be making more money than Rodgers. I think there is to much risk there. What if nobody wants to trade a first and third for Flynn? They can't have that much money tied up in the QB position.

I don't think giving Johnson a Fitzgerald-type deal would be that bad of an idea.

Finley should not get a huge deal. He is a physically gifted player. But he is also a fool. He celebrates after getting a seven yard catch. He drops so many passes. The Packers would be much better off spending their money on another rush linebacker.

DraftSavant
02-07-2012, 11:00 AM
I love Wes Welker as much as the next white guy, but god damn he can be so overrated sometimes.

I would not pay him what he's going to command. :shrug:

They have enough underneath targets as it is. Let someone else pay him, use that money on a deep threat and a 5-tech like Calais Campbell.

Not just no, but **** no. Tag him at least.

They might have to at the beginning of the FA period. Even if he gets the tag, I doubt he keeps it for long. The cap hit for a tagged QB is teh sux0rz.

Yes. And then turn around and pay a guy like Meachem half the money, or just draft a better version of Jackson in Kendall Wright.

Impossible to tell without looking more closely at each team's cap situation.

Can't upgrade; stick with Smith, try to upgrade the outside weapons, and hope Kaepernick pans out.

No, that's just laughable.

Tough decision, but yes.

Probably?

Unequivocally yes. Best non-QB in the NFL.

I would hope not, for their ****** QBs' sake. They need a guy to get contested catches and get dirty YAC yards.

Expendable.

gpngc
02-07-2012, 11:01 AM
Seeing what Larry Fitzgerald has managed to achieve with the guff he's had to deal with at QB over the last 2 seasons, and remembering what he achieved with Kurt Warner, the idea of even a 75% fit Manning throwing him the ball sends shivers down my spine.

Keep the NFC West a Manning free zone please.

Manning going to Arizona or Seattle would destroy the Rams franchise even more, somehow.

zachsaints52
02-08-2012, 09:06 AM
You guys realize for the Saints offense the Guards are more important then the OTs in our system. Its the reason why we basically just gave away Jamaal Brown to the Skins after he was a Pro Bowler and All-Pro.Instead of giving the LT and RT/another position the big money, we will give our Guards those contracts. Thats why when we have a random Center like Brian de le Puente at C, we don't lose anything, even when Goodwin leaves and still stays a Pro Bowler.

In our offense, I would put them two in the Top 5 of importance. Brees, Nicks, Evans, and for this year add Sproles and Graham. Our WRs arent anything too special (I think Colston is, but others disagree outside Saints fans) so between those 5, We have 4 locked up. Keep Nicks.

Brent
02-08-2012, 02:34 PM
Would the Pats let Wes Welker walk if they could sign Mario Williams? Yes
Should the Bears let Matt Forte walk and turn that money into a WR? Hell no
Would NO be dumb enough to Tag Brees and not give him the long term deal? Yes
Should Philly let Jackson walk with his huge ego and bad attitude? Yes
Would Peyton Manning really go to AZ over the Jets or Phins? No idea
Should SF look for a new starting QB? No
Would NO's really have two 8 million plus OG's on the roster? No
Should the Texans pay Foster over Williams? Yes
Would GB really let Flynn walk for nothing? Yes, and they will
Should the Lions give CJ a 120 million dollar deal? If they think he deserves it
Would KC let Bowe hit the open market? No, they will not
Should GB give Finley all that money? No

FlyingElvis
02-08-2012, 04:01 PM
Probably. Though I think the more likely scenario is neither wear a Patriots uniform next year. Welker will want money based on his outstanding production the last few years and that money isn't likely to come from NE. I don't believe it would be money well spent, tbh. Unless he takes a pretty solid "home team discount" or just doesn't get much attention from other teams, he's gone. Mario is a pipe dream.

And hand the reigns to . . . who? Bell? Nah . . . keep your studs, especially when there's room to go after a WR anyway.

Hahahaaahaaaahaahaahaaaaa [gasping for breath] haaahaahahaaaa!

Ego and attitude were a one-year problem after they paid everyone under the sun except him. They shouldn't let him go, but I'd be surprised if they kept him at this point. He'll beast somewhere else, if there's a reasonably competent QB.

Maybe. Arizona has Fitz, but Miami has a stud in Marshall, a better Oline and no income tax. I'd call that a wash, if not an advantage for the Phins.

Sure. But I'm in the "Manning* is the only real upgrade" camp.
* if he ain't permanently busted.

If cap space permits it, why not? Clearing passing lanes and ensuring Brees can step up seems to be working great thus far.

Tough one. Foster sure looks special every time I get to see him. I'd be shocked if they let Foster go, but the asking price may be too high. The same can be said for Mario, honestly. It'll be interesting to watch this offseason.

Tagging him seems really stupid to me, but what the hell do I know?

Hand the man a bag o' money. Whatever the price is will likely be well worth it.

Maybe. He is good but not great and has issues. There are some good WRs looking like they'll hit FA at the moment and KC wouldn't be crazy to move on with only one knucklehead at the WR position.

Tag him, at best. He's too inconsistent and too fragile to tie up a big chunk of long-term coin.

DraftSavant
02-08-2012, 04:02 PM
Really, though, the Eagles need to let Jackson walk and then draft Kendallzzzz

A Perfect Score
02-08-2012, 05:37 PM

Desean can waltz his way over to Baltimore. He's quite possibly the fastest man in the NFL. I don't care if he's a crybaby, pay the man and he'll produce.

ATLDirtyBirds
02-09-2012, 12:44 PM

Joe Adams. Get Kuechly Round 1. Win.

MidwestJimmy
02-09-2012, 04:57 PM

That's a good question. That would be strange enough if they were a running team, but they are a passing team to boot. They might have to sacrifice Carl Nicks in order to improve the defense, which needs it.

WCH
02-10-2012, 05:32 AM
No, but I would be tempted to do it if I were them

No. I don't like RBs all that much, but Forte is one of the best in the NFL.

I don't think that this answer is as obvious as it seems. They might see what just happened in Indy, and be reluctant to give a monster contract to a 33 year old.

Hell yes. He's really, really good. But he's not as elite as he thinks he is.

I'm not convinced that NY/NJ is big enough for Peyton and Ryan. AZ seems about as appealing as Miami.

It's tricky, because Alex Smith is almost certainly not going to win a championship, but there's not an obvious upgrade and fans will be reluctant to go through growing pains with a younger guy after making it to the NFCCG last season.

No.

Guys like Williams are much harder to find, but they seem content to not take advantage of his strengths, so this ones a push.

He sure as hell isn't worth using a franchise tag on.

Yes. Megatron is the best thing to happen to that franchise since Barry Sanders.

I doubt it.

They need to keep him, whether via the franchise tag or a long-term extension. Even when he drops every other pass (seriously, that prematurely-balding mofo needs his vision checked), his presence elevates their offense from "very good" to "one of the best ever" because he severely limits the oppositions ability to just go straight Cover-2 against them. Factor in the Quarless injury, and losing Finley likely means that GB will be trotting out Ryan Taylor as the starting TE. Bears fans would just love that ****.