PDA

View Full Version : 1990's Cowboy Offensive Lineman in HOF

dregolll
02-07-2012, 07:20 AM
Since we are coming off the 2012 Hall Of Fame inductees I have been thinking about something. Can someone please explain to me why there is no Dallas Cowboy offensive lineman from 1990ís dynasty thatís up for HOF consideration? I mean we all know Larry Allen is going to get in, but he was not on those first 2 Super Bowl teams. Erik Williams and Nate Newton were two of the best at their position to ever play the game.

You have a HOF QB, RB, and WR, but no one from that dominant, dominant OL. Erik Williams was the greatest RT to ever play the game, and was the only OL that would kick Reggie Whiteís butt when they squared off.
I think they will eventually make it in one day, but it may take awhile.

boknows34
02-07-2012, 03:48 PM
The HOF is an individual award. What made the Dallas O-Line so good was as a Collective Unit they were all very, very good players with Larry Allen (HOF eligible in 2013) obviously the best of the lot and among the all-time greats. They were all at least Pro Bowl level players on one team. Stepnoski at C, Newton and Gogan then Allen at guard and Erik Williams may have gone on to a HOF career but for his car crash.

Six Offensive Linemen on the Dallas OL in the 1990s were Pro Bowlers. Three of those six - Larry Allen, Erik Williams and Nate Newton - had 8 All-Pro selections between them. Allen, a 1st ballot HOFer imo, was a 1st team All-Pro every year from 1996-2001.

leroyisgod
02-07-2012, 03:52 PM
I'm a pretty big Cowboys fan and besides Allen I do not think any of the other OL from that timeframe deserve to get in. You could make an argument for Williams and Newton, but I doubt they'd ever receive a serious consideration.

DraftSavant
02-07-2012, 03:55 PM
Only Russ Grimm made it in from the Hogs, so I expect Allen to be the only Cowboy.

DraftSavant
02-07-2012, 03:56 PM
DFcWMC9vkZg

I love this video so much.

MetSox17
02-07-2012, 04:42 PM
DFcWMC9vkZg

I always show this video to friends when i talk about Larry Allen's greatness. Everyone knows how strong he was, and that he could bench 700lbs, but very few know just how ******* athletic the guy was. He was an absolute freak.

bam bam
02-07-2012, 11:27 PM
DFcWMC9vkZg

I love the simultaneous "LARRY ALLEN?!?!?"

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
02-08-2012, 12:08 AM
Imagine a guy like him at DT

TACKLE
02-08-2012, 12:20 AM
I always show this video to friends when i talk about Larry Allen's greatness. Everyone knows how strong he was, and that he could bench 700lbs, but very few know just how ******* athletic the guy was. He was an absolute freak.

Not to mention he was a bad ************ who grew up in Compton was stabbed 8 times when he was 10 years old protecting his little brother. I love watching old Cowboys games from the 90's on NFL Films for the sole purpose of watching Larry. There are some older guys who obviously I haven't seen a whole lot of but I have a hard time believing there was a more dominant O-Lineman in this league than Larry Allen in his prime.

Sloopy
02-08-2012, 07:01 AM
Not to mention he was a bad ************ who grew up in Compton was stabbed 8 times when he was 10 years old protecting his little brother. I love watching old Cowboys games from the 90's on NFL Films for the sole purpose of watching Larry. There are some older guys who obviously I haven't seen a whole lot of but I have a hard time believing there was a more dominant O-Lineman in this league than Larry Allen in his prime.

There weren't, at least not at the time he was in the league.

bigbluedefense
02-08-2012, 07:03 AM
I think they have 2 things going against them:

1. They already have 3 HOFers from that offense. HOF voters try to avoid putting too many HOFers on the same team into the hall. Sans that 60s GB team of course, although Kramer not being in the hall is a shame.

2. It's hard for olinemen to get in. I feel more of them should, but it will probably be a while.

FUNBUNCHER
02-08-2012, 09:51 AM
Of that Oline, which player other than Allen played for a decade or more???
I believe Erik Williams would have become a HOFer if his career hadn't been cut short.

boknows34
02-08-2012, 12:50 PM
Of that Oline, which player other than Allen played for a decade or more???
I believe Erik Williams would have become a HOFer if his career hadn't been cut short.

Yeah, Williams was definitely on the path to Canton before his car accident, as was Tony Boselli before his injuries. When you have a HOF talent at LT (Williams), one of the all-time greats (Allen) and the other 3 positions are filled with Pro Bowl calibre players then that has to go down as one of the Top 2-3 Offensive Lines in NFL history. For an OL to make the HOF the voters look for multiple All-Pros (Dawson was a 6-time 1st team All-Pro. Recent inductees Randall McDaniel and Bruce Matthews had 7) combined with All-Decade selections (Roaf was 90s and 00s).

A Perfect Score
02-08-2012, 12:52 PM
DFcWMC9vkZg

I've seen this so many times and it never gets old. Almost as cool as the video of him bench pressing like, 700 lbs or something crazy like that.