View Full Version : Best #1 overall pick of our lifetimes

J-Mike88
02-09-2012, 03:09 PM
I won't go back to the 1970's where we had:

(1969) OJ Simpson
1970 Terry Bradshaw
1974 Ed Too Tall Jones
1978 Earl Campbell

But since then, going back to Elway in 1983, I think it's an open debate which was the best #1 overall pick.

1983 - Elway, (by Baltimore)
1985- Bruce Smith, no rings, but he was dominant.
1989- Troy Aikman, not the stats, but with a great team, he won.
1993- Drew Bledsoe, don't laugh, he was great for awhile.
1997- Orlando Pace, OL, but an anchor for a long time.
1998- Peyton Manning, obviously great for a long time, plus a ring.
2004- Eli Manning (by San Diego), What would have happened if he was forced to stay in San Diego? Would they have any titles, would Rivers in New York?

Like 90% of the stuff on this board, it's pure speculation.
What do you think? And where are the RB's?

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/alltimeno1

bigbluedefense
02-09-2012, 03:12 PM
I think I'm going with Elway. For now. Gotta think about this. It's either Elway or Peyton.

Mr. Goosemahn
02-09-2012, 03:14 PM
In my lifetime, it's probably Peyton right now.

the_dark_knight
02-09-2012, 03:15 PM
Oh great topic, at first I was thinking the question would be a lock for Elway, but Peyton has really solidified himself in that Category of elite of all time QBs.

Those are my 2 choices, I'd really have to lean towards Peyton though. I love Elway, and he was amazing to watch and enjoy, but Peyton is on an entirely different level mentally and I love that aspect of football, that chess game that is played. No one has ever been better at it than Peyton, and for the situation he came into in Indy, to be the key component in the franchises rise to prominence, I'll give him my vote.

zachsaints52
02-09-2012, 03:37 PM
Since I wasnt born until 89, and I love OL, Im going Pace.

jrdrylie
02-09-2012, 03:43 PM
I'll say Manning. You could make the argument for Elway being a better player. But the question is best number one pick. Manning has played his entire career with the Colts while Elway never played for Baltimore (the team that drafted him). Because of this, Manning was the better PICK. Who is the better player is a different argument altogether.

Ness
02-09-2012, 03:46 PM
In my lifetime it's Peyton Manning.

Complex
02-09-2012, 04:04 PM
Elisha Nelson Manning.You draft a QB #1 overall to win championships. Elisha has won 2 with that Giants. There for he is the best #1 pick in my lifetime.

vidae
02-09-2012, 04:06 PM
It's Peyton for me.

descendency
02-09-2012, 04:07 PM
Elisha Nelson Manning.You draft a QB #1 overall to win championships. Elisha has won 2 with that Giants. There for he is the best #1 pick in my lifetime.

Except he was picked by the Chargers.

Peyton Manning.

Mufasa
02-09-2012, 07:31 PM
How many people here are really older than 29? I thought most people on here were college age, or just a bit older.

So with Elway out, it's Peyton Manning. Easily.

J-Mike88
02-09-2012, 07:32 PM
Aikman doesn't get a mention at all?
Guy got to, and went 3-0 in Super Bowls.
And he was the top of a draft with Barry Sanders, Deion Sanders, and Derrick Thomas. Imagine passing on ALL those guys.... and not regretting it one bit.

BTW, no RB's in the dicussion, which I find very interesting.

The last RB to go #1 overall was 1995 with Ki-Jana Carter. Guy blew out his knee before his first 'real' game.
This season, we saw 2 great rookies in Ryan Williams and Mikel Leshoure blow theirs out before they even played their first 'real' game.
Of course, we saw Jamal Charles knee break in the first real game of this season, and then the great Adrian's blow up later in the season.

RB's, even when they are great and last -which is rarer and rarer each year- like LaDanian and MJD, don't lead teams to Super Bowls anyway.

But look at the QBs.

Here's a refresher for anyone not wanting to click the link:

Andrew Luck
QB
Stanford
Indianapolis Colts

Cam Newton
QB
Blinn Junior College
Carolina Panthers

Sam Bradford
QB
Oklahoma
St. Louis Rams

Matthew Stafford
QB
Georgia
Detroit Lions

Jake Long
OT
Michigan
Miami Dolphins

JaMarcus Russell
QB
LSU
Oakland Raiders

Mario Williams
DE
N. Carolina State
Houston Texans

Alex Smith
QB
Utah
San Francisco 49ers

Eli Manning
QB
Mississippi
San Diego Chargers

Carson Palmer
QB
USC
Cincinnati Bengals

David Carr
QB
Fresno State
Houston Texans

Michael Vick
QB
Virginia Tech
Atlanta Falcons

Courtney Brown
DE
Penn State
Cleveland Browns

Tim Couch
QB
Kentucky
Cleveland Browns

Peyton Manning
QB
Tennessee
Indianapolis Colts

Orlando Pace
OT
Ohio State
St. Louis Rams

Keyshawns Johnson
WR
USC
New York Jets

Ki-Jana Carter
RB
Penn State
Cincinnati Bengals

Dan Wilkinson
DT
Ohio State
Cincinnati Bengals

Drew Bledsoe
QB
Washington State
New England Patriots

Steve Emtman
DT
Washington
Indianapolis Colts

Russell Maryland
DT
Miami, (Fla.)
Dallas Cowboys

Jeff George
QB
Illinois
Indianapolis Colts

Troy Aikman
QB
UCLA
Dallas Cowboys

Aundray Bruce
LB
Auburn
Atlanta Falcons

Vinny Testatcleverde
QB
Miami, (Fla.)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Bo Jackson
RB
Auburn
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Bruce Smith
DE
Virginia Tech
Buffalo Bills

Irving Fryar
WR
Nebraska
New England Patriots

John Elway
QB
Stanford
Baltimore Colts

Sloopy
02-09-2012, 07:49 PM
Peyton is probably one of my favorite players ever so maybe I'm biased but I feel pretty safe saying Peyton as the greatest #1 pick of all time

Xonraider
02-09-2012, 07:50 PM
Born in '92...... so Jamarcus Russell

Brodeur
02-09-2012, 08:10 PM
Peyton Manning by a pretty sizable margin.

DraftSavant
02-09-2012, 08:21 PM
Q: "Cam, are you surprised by your fast transition to the pros?"
A: "If you write a good article, do your surprise yourself?"

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/6469/trollfacecj.jpg
http://fikklefame.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/cam-newton.jpg
http://imgur.com/Hl9zB.jpg
http://cdn1.sbnation.com/imported_assets/568746/48250_la_monroe_auburn_football_medium.jpg

Brothgar
02-09-2012, 08:35 PM
Where are the RBs?

Bo Knows where the RBs are!

D-Unit
02-09-2012, 08:40 PM
Aikman won 3. Wanna reconsider? ^_^

nobodyinparticular
02-09-2012, 08:41 PM
I like Peyton Manning a little more than Elway and Aikman. Then I'd say Smith and Pace. Then Eli.

Giantsfan1080
02-09-2012, 08:41 PM
Aikman won 3. Wanna reconsider? ^_^

He said in his lifetime. He might be a younger fan.

RaiderNation
02-09-2012, 08:50 PM
Going to likely either be Manning/Luck for me. I was born in 1992 so hopefully I will get to see some more awesome prospects come out in the future.

J-Mike88
02-09-2012, 09:54 PM
http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/6469/trollfacecj.jpg
http://fikklefame.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/cam-newton.jpg
Look at those cute funky shaped little ears.

SenorGato
02-09-2012, 10:26 PM
In my lifetime, it's probably Peyton right now.

+1

Tencharacters.

J-Mike88
02-09-2012, 10:33 PM
2 WRs taken #1 overall here.

Keyshawn, and Irving Fryar (which was the draft that had Jerry Rice in it, by the way.)

Not Megatron, Fitzgerald, Andre, or Randy Moss.
Not Michael Irvin, Tim Brown, or Sterling Sharpe (all in the amazing same draft class)

Bengalsrocket
02-09-2012, 10:34 PM
Aikman's stats are so far off of how he actually played. Guy was a boss and gets massively under appreciated for what he did with the Cowboys. No I don't believe he's the greatest of all time or anything, and it's fine to think Peyton or Elway had better careers - but Aikman was still great.

ChiFan24
02-09-2012, 10:37 PM
1. Peyton
2. Eli
3. Cammy Cam

Giantsfan1080
02-09-2012, 11:07 PM
I only got to see Elway's last 2 Super Bowls but for me it's:

1. Peyton
2. Elway
3. Eli

If I saw Elway carry some of those earlier Broncos teams like I've read about then I might have him #1.

MidwayMonster31
02-09-2012, 11:32 PM
Didn't become a fan until 96, so I'll go with Peyton Manning. He had the smarts, efficiency and great intangibles and is undoubtedly one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time, despite a less than stellar postseason track record. Of course, when he's hurt, the Colts turn into the worst team in the league.
Little brother Eli will probably go down as one of the greatest giant-killers (not a pun off the team he played for) as well as road warriors in the postseason. Few quarterbacks have done what he has on the road and in the clutch.
As for Troy Aikman, his stats don't show how he played. He was one of the best leaders for that Cowboy team full of characters. He was also extremely efficient and accurate. He made his living throwing the ball to Michael Irvin, Alvin Harper and Jay Novacek in the 1st half and handing the ball to Emmitt Smith in the 2nd half, while his defense took care of their business.

Brent
02-10-2012, 12:07 AM
Aikman, as much as it pains me to say.

Brodeur
02-10-2012, 01:01 AM
Aikman, as much as it pains me to say.

Why is it a pain to say when it's not true? Aikman was not close to the QB Peyton is/was.

wogitalia
02-10-2012, 01:24 AM
In my lifetime it's Manning, as much as I want to pick Pace :)

yodabear
02-10-2012, 01:45 AM
Right now I shall go with Troy Aikman since he is the only one with a star next to his name. But there are more (2 Mannings and Pace specifically) that will soon have the stars next to their name.

MetSox17
02-10-2012, 02:45 AM
Aikman >>> Eli

DeepThreat
02-10-2012, 08:03 AM
Undoubtedly Peyton. Maybe someone surpasses him in the future, but at the moment, Peyton is one of the best to ever play the game.

BamaFalcon59
02-10-2012, 01:36 PM
If not for position bias, Bruce Smith has a legitimate argument.

Stayed with the team he was drafted by for fifteen seasons and averaged over eleven sacks per season. Also assisted in getting them to four super bowls.

Also had a nine-sack season with the Redkins at age 38.

bigbluedefense
02-10-2012, 01:39 PM
I think Elway/Peyton is interchangeable at 1, but Aikman is not getting enough love.

Yes, he played on some dominant teams, and yes, he never put up dominant statistics, but the guy was never asked to throw it 40 times. That's not his fault, that's good football.

I don't want my qb throwing for 40 TDs a season, I want a balanced offense. Aikman had plenty of signature wins, 3 rings, arguably the most accurate arm the league has ever seen, and he did it in pressure moments too.

Aikman was legit. If he played in today's era I think his perception would be different, bc he'd get the opportunity to throw it more.

Brodeur
02-10-2012, 02:28 PM
I think Elway/Peyton is interchangeable at 1, but Aikman is not getting enough love.

Yes, he played on some dominant teams, and yes, he never put up dominant statistics, but the guy was never asked to throw it 40 times. That's not his fault, that's good football.

I don't want my qb throwing for 40 TDs a season, I want a balanced offense. Aikman had plenty of signature wins, 3 rings, arguably the most accurate arm the league has ever seen, and he did it in pressure moments too.

Aikman was legit. If he played in today's era I think his perception would be different, bc he'd get the opportunity to throw it more.

You act like he played in the 60s. Yes it was harder to throw in the 90s than it is today, but it's not like it was a night and day difference. He was on a dominating offense,with a top ten RB of all time, a top twenty or so receiver ever, and an amazing offensive line along with a damn good defense. Aikman isn't close to Peyton because he never had to do the same things Peyton does, and his stats are incredibly unimpressive. I don't care about the balance thing...he threw for 20 TDs one time, never threw for 3500 yards, averaged 8 yards per attempt once, had a 2:1 TD to INT ratio three times (never a 3:1), and only had to lead 21 game winning drives in his career in the regular season.

I'm not denying he was a great QB, but he gets overappreciated by the general populace just like Namath and Bradshaw. He was a very good QB who benefited hugely by playing on some amazing teams. Peyton, Elway, Bruce Smith, Pace, and even Eli are/were more important to their teams than he ever was. Aikman isn't a top twenty QB of all time (Peyton and Elway are probably top 5).

bigbluedefense
02-10-2012, 02:34 PM
You act like he played in the 60s. Yes it was harder to throw in the 90s than it is today, but it's not like it was a night and day difference. He was on a dominating offense,with a top ten RB of all time, a top twenty or so receiver ever, and an amazing offensive line along with a damn good defense. Aikman isn't close to Peyton because he never had to do the same things Peyton does, and his stats are incredibly unimpressive. I don't care about the balance thing...he threw for 20 TDs one time, never threw for 3500 yards, averaged 8 yards per attempt once, had a 2:1 TD to INT ratio three times (never a 3:1), and only had to lead 21 game winning drives in his career in the regular season.

I'm not denying he was a great QB, but he gets overappreciated by the general populace just like Namath and Bradshaw. He was a very good QB who benefited hugely by playing on some amazing teams. Peyton, Elway, Bruce Smith, Pace, and even Eli are/were more important to their teams than he ever was. Aikman isn't a top twenty QB of all time (Peyton and Elway are probably top 5).

I never said he was better than Peyton. But I think it's unfair to Aikman to have Eli ranked ahead of him right here right now. Aikman was a damn good quarterback.

Babylon
02-10-2012, 02:46 PM
I think I'm going with Elway. For now. Gotta think about this. It's either Elway or Peyton.

Well i'm going with Elway. Besides the little asterisk beside it that he was picked by the Colts i think he had the best career and put his stamp on the NFL more than any other player. Closely followed by Peyton.

bigbluedefense
02-10-2012, 02:46 PM
meh, aikman will always come off worse, for almost always playing with a highly talented roster. the years he didn't? the cowboys best record was 8-8, and they were 24-43 overall (and the 8-8 year they still had a top 5 defense, and a top 2 in yardage the one year they were 6-10). i certainly don't think stats tell the whole story, but it's hard to say that a guy who never did a lot with a little, and generally seemed to play to the level of talent surrounding him was one of the best qbs ever (which is sort of what you're doing if you're mentioning him with elway and peyton).

No no noooooooo. I'm not saying he's on Peyton or Elway's level. I said that those 2 are clearly #1 on this list.

The point I was trying to make is, some people have Eli ahead of Aikman on this list. I'm probably one of the 3 biggest Eli homers on this forum, but do you think that's fair?

Right here right now, do you consider Eli a better #1 draft pick than Aikman? I don't see how we can make that leap just yet.

Eli's career is far from over and maybe later on we can make that leap, but I don't see how we can say that right here right now. That's my point I'm trying to make.

I'm not debating the former at all. Peyton and Elway are lightyears ahead of Aikman. But let's not sit here and say Aikman was some scrub that was there for the ride in the mid 90s. He was a damn good quarterback.

tjsunstein
02-10-2012, 02:50 PM
Either Manning. Substitute Rodgers for Smith in that draft and we'd have amore interesting topic years from now.

Brodeur
02-10-2012, 02:51 PM
He was, but he was never anything extraordinary that was able to carry a team when he needed to. For someone I consider to be in the same area as him in another sport, I'd compare him to Josh Beckett (except Josh is a tad bit better in the playoffs).

DraftSavant
02-10-2012, 04:14 PM

Stayed with the team he was drafted by for fifteen seasons and averaged over eleven sacks per season. Also assisted in getting them to four super bowls.

I thought about this as a serious post, too, but just spammed Cam trollface pics instead.

The Alex
02-10-2012, 04:33 PM
Peyton Manning by far.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
02-11-2012, 09:42 AM
I was born in 90, so Peyton Manning. Really only between him and Elway.

#nextquestion

J-Mike88
02-12-2012, 05:09 PM

Thank you.... he deserves some mention here, but A) the position thing, B) Scott Norwood fukced his legacy, C) he was before most of our time here

He was Reggie White, minus the one-armed throws, and the preaching. And the one ring which the **** kicker blew. Where was Adam Vinitiri at that time?

VikesWookie
02-12-2012, 05:14 PM
Any takers on "Big Daddy" Wilkenson?

Babylon
02-12-2012, 06:28 PM
elway. but i'm old.

Your not that old and he is the best. The perfect QB coming out to be honest. Zero Flaws.

Brodeur
02-12-2012, 06:30 PM
Thank you.... he deserves some mention here, but A) the position thing, B) Scott Norwood fukced his legacy, C) he was before most of our time here

He was Reggie White, minus the one-armed throws, and the preaching. And the one ring which the **** kicker blew. Where was Adam Vinitiri at that time?

That was an insanely difficult kick for Norwood, stop ******* blaming him. Vinatieri missed a field goal in the Super Bowl in a damn dome against the Panthers, but nobody shits on him.

J-Mike88
02-12-2012, 06:47 PM
That was an insanely difficult kick for Norwood, stop ******* blaming him. Vinatieri missed a field goal in the Super Bowl in a damn dome against the Panthers, but nobody shits on him.
Vinatieri made one from about the same distance, IN SNOW, in the tuck-game to tie Oakland.

And I think all 3 of AV's game-winners were 40-something.

Norwood's wasn't easy, but Bruce Smith, Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas, Andre Reed's legacies are much tainted because their kicker missed, whereas Brady's is the opposite because his made em.

Now, back to the topic at hand.

No votes for Jake Long?

NY+Giants=NYG
02-12-2012, 07:55 PM
Peyton! However, if Eli can win one more then sorry Peyton!

J-Mike88
02-12-2012, 08:55 PM
Peyton! However, if Eli can win one more then sorry Peyton!
Eli already has double the Suber Bowl wins, in 6 fewer years.
Stats and regular season wins are one barometer, but as Patriot fans will tell you, not getting the title hurts most..... our 15-1 season this year feels like a total failure because of the playoff fumbling loss.

Eli is close already to Peyton IMO because of that.
He and Ben each with 2 rings from that class damn.

bigbluedefense
02-12-2012, 08:57 PM
Elway was a beast. The guy went to 5 super bowls. Won 2. Was the perfect qb from a physical standpoint. His resume speaks for itself.

I was watching some NFL network today, and I saw the special on the 87 Super Bowl. How the hell did that team give up 5 touchdowns in 1 quarter to the Skins?! Are you kidding me?

yodabear
02-12-2012, 08:58 PM
Upon further review, Troy Aikman was #1 in 1989 meaning he woulda been drafted weeks before I was born, soooooooo Peyton Manning is the best.

descendency
02-12-2012, 09:21 PM
Vinatieri made one from about the same distance, IN SNOW, in the tuck-game to tie Oakland.

And I think all 3 of AV's game-winners were 40-something.

Norwood's wasn't easy, but Bruce Smith, Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas, Andre Reed's legacies are much tainted because their kicker missed, whereas Brady's is the opposite because his made em.

Now, back to the topic at hand.

No votes for Jake Long?

All 3 of AVs game winning field goals were to win a game but none of them being missed would have lost the game. (they won by 3 in each game)

bigbluedefense
02-12-2012, 09:23 PM
mediocre defense, masked by a mediocre afc :/

The good ol 80s and 90s. When the real Super Bowl was known as the NFC Championship Game.

Thank God those days are over. I enjoy the parity of today's NFL.

Bucs_Rule
02-13-2012, 01:57 AM
No votes for Jake Long?

He has only been playing for a few years. He'll have to continue at his level for many years to be compared to Pace.

It doesn't help that Long has only made the playoffs once and the team got smoked by the Ravens. Not his fault, just lack of team success hurts.

noondog
02-13-2012, 10:48 AM
I have to give Elway the nod over Peyton. Elway's overall body of work (specifically Super Bowl appearances) has got Manning beat and that would be the main issue seperating them at this point.

someone447
02-17-2012, 08:05 PM
Elway was a beast. The guy went to 5 super bowls. Won 2. Was the perfect qb from a physical standpoint. His resume speaks for itself.

I was watching some NFL network today, and I saw the special on the 87 Super Bowl. How the hell did that team give up 5 touchdowns in 1 quarter to the Skins?! Are you kidding me?

Doug F****** Williams how could you not give up 5 touchdowns in one quarter to him?

FUNBUNCHER
02-17-2012, 11:10 PM
The Broncos got destroyed in the '87 SB by the Skins for the same reason the Skins got knocked out by the Raiders in the '83 SB' the Skins were flat out better than the Broncos position per position. It wasn't a fluke.

My greatest #1 draft picks of alltime in my lifetime;
Bruce Smith
Drew Bledsoe
Orlando Pace
Peyton and Eli
Troy Aikman

It's ironic to me how highly Elway is regarded when for the early to mid part of his career, he was a streaky to highly erratic QB who dominated in the 4th quarter. Elway was more of a playmaker than a statistically dominant passing QB.

To be honest, his game had more in common with Mike Vick - streaky playmaker(although Elway had the ability to lock in at the end of games and win that Vick doesn't) with shades of Tebow(!) than Elway does with someone like Peyton.

J-Mike88
04-06-2012, 09:32 AM
http://nfl.si.com/2012/04/05/best-of-the-firsts-no-1/?sct=nfl_t12_a0

Great thread. Let's make it a CNN Sports Illustrated Feature.

More discussion.

As part of our offseason coverage, we’re taking a look back at some of the best first-round draft picks since the AFL-NFL merger in 1970. We’ll work our way up the draft board, starting with the best selection made with the No. 32 pick and ending with the top No. 1 pick. Track all the choices here.

Honorable Mention: Mario Williams (2006, Texans); Eli Manning (2004, Chargers); Michael Vick (2001, Falcons); Orlando Pace (1997, Rams); Drew Bledsoe (1993, Patriots); Troy Aikman (1989, Cowboys); Earl Campbell (1978, Oilers); Lee Roy Selmon (1976, Buccaneers); Terry Bradshaw (1970, Steelers)

Just take a look at that list of players on the honorable mention list — as you might expect, the No. 1 slot in the NFL Draft has produced more than a few quality performers.

When it comes right down to it, though, we can narrow our list of candidates for “Best No. 1 pick” down to three: John Elway, Peyton Manning and Bruce Smith.

Let’s take a look at each player’s case:

• John Elway: The former Stanford star’s NFL career began with a bit of controversy, as Elway was selected in 1983 by the Baltimore Colts, then refused to play for that team. Eventually, the Colts honored Elway’s request for a new home and dealt him to Denver.

The rest is history.

Elway went on to have a Hall of Fame career in Denver, complete with nine Pro Bowls, a pair of championships and a Super Bowl XXXIII MVP award. He threw for 51,475 yards and 300 touchdowns over a career that spanned 1983-98, and he walked away after wining rings in both ’97 and ’98. Few players in NFL history are as synonymous with a franchise as Elway, who now holds the title of executive vice president in Denver and was instrumental in signing Manning this offseason.

• Peyton Manning: And speaking of Manning …

The 36-year-old quarterback, who sat out all of last season with a neck injury, passed Elway in 2010 for the No. 3 spot on the all-time passing yardage list. Manning currently sits on 54,828 yards, a little less than 7,000 behind Dan Marino — meaning that Manning has a shot to move up, should he stay healthy for two or three more seasons.

Manning could also leapfrog Marino in career touchdown passes. Manning will enter 2012 with 399 TD strikes, 21 back of Marino and 109 behind all-time leader Brett Favre.

Like Elway in Denver, Manning will always be remembered as an Indianapolis Colt, a fact that made his recent move to the Broncos such a headline-grabber. Manning already owns 11 Pro Bowl trips, eight All-Pro nominations, four NFL MVPs, as well as a Super Bowl trophy and MVP honor. Manning’s incredible ability to read defenses and make adjustments at the line led to the Colts giving him more control of the offense than just about any quarterback has ever had.

The big question now: Would a subpar showing in Denver tarnish his legacy?

• Bruce Smith: Like Elway, Smith is a current Hall of Famer (though Manning is a lock to make it on his first ballot). Smith never won a Super Bowl — his Bills fell one win short four consecutive times — but that’s about the only thing missing from his resume.

While playing an astonishing 19 seasons (1985-99 with Buffalo, 2000-03 with Washington), Smith chalked up an NFL-record 200 sacks. He reached double digits in that category during 13 different seasons, paced by a 19-sack showing in 1990.

Smith earned 11 Pro Bowl berths and was named to 11 different All-Pro teams, plus landed on the NFL’s All-Decade Team for both the 1980s and 1990s. He twice took home the league’s Defensive Player of the Year award, first in 1990, then again in 1996, when he had 13.5 sacks, 90 tackles and five forced fumbles.

Smith put up all of his incredible numbers despite drawing double teams (at the very least) on the majority of passing plays. Offenses had to account for Smith’s presence on the field, often to an extreme degree.

So … who’s it going to be?

You can voice your opinion on the best No. 1 pick since the NFL-AFL merger on Twitter by tweeting at me using hashtag #bestnflnumber1. We’ll compile the most interesting answers for a post Friday.

The vote here is for Peyton Manning.

Lil Quip
04-06-2012, 12:50 PM
Perusing the all time list, I really have to say Peyton is my number one of all time.

Rings help, but I think in this context, Peyton is held back a degree by having ran into the brickwall of the 2003/2004 Pats teams and Polian's successful but flawed team building approach.

Halsey
04-06-2012, 11:54 PM
This isn't much of a debate. Elway made Denver a relevant NFL franchise for a long time and helped them reach numerous Super Bowls. His parting gift to his only team was 2 Super Bowls.

TheFinisher
04-07-2012, 12:32 AM
He was, but he was never anything extraordinary that was able to carry a team when he needed to. For someone I consider to be in the same area as him in another sport, I'd compare him to Josh Beckett (except Josh is a tad bit better in the playoffs).

Huh? Aikman was always at his best in the playoffs. 11-4 Record as a starter while posting a QB rating greater than 100 in 9 of them(NFL Record). 3-0 in Supers Bowls with a 70% completion rating(NFL Record), 230YPG, with 5 TDs to 1 INT. He also holds the record for most consecutive passes thrown in the postseason without an INT with 89.

He was clutch when it mattered most. Peyton is/was the better regular season QB, but Aikman's the man in the playoffs and that shouldn't be downplayed.

anymily
04-07-2012, 03:46 AM
J'aime les blogueurs de partager cet article m'a profondément touché, je vous remercie de partager, espérons de voir votre travail à nouveau.

TimD
04-07-2012, 08:13 AM
Since I wasnt born until 89, and I love OL, Im going Pace.

i agree with this

Rosebud
04-07-2012, 09:23 AM
I was born in 89 so:

Peyton
Aikman/Eli
Pace
Mario

Aikman gets a lot of **** for the same reasons Eli used to get a lot of ****, he plays for a team that is very balanced offensively so he's never been asked to carry his offense the way guys like Brees and Peyton do now-a-days. That's why I think this year creates some separation between the two, Eli was finally asked to be the offense without a running game, he responded not just with a career year but with a Superbowl. If Eli puts up one more great season where he's asked to throw a lot or wins one more Superbowl he'll move ahead of Aikman for me.

YotoJets007
04-10-2012, 03:11 PM
I usually dismissed Elways and Aikman because of their career began prior to the salary cap era. However, Elways won 2 rings and Aikman one during the early stage of the salary cap. I go with either Manning.