PDA

View Full Version : the end of pro football?

bitonti
02-10-2012, 04:35 PM
an interesting read

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7559458/cte-concussion-crisis-economic-look-end-football

(and I don't think it's that outlandish)

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7443714/jonah-lehrer-concussions-adolescents-future-football

Ness
02-10-2012, 04:45 PM
It's certainly possible, but I highly doubt it happens. That article sounds more like someone wanting football to end because they believe it is detrimental to society, instead of looking at both sides of the issue. The notion of technology improving the health of the sport is immediately passed over in what I read. It's dismissed as an impossibility practically.

bitonti
02-10-2012, 04:47 PM
The notion of technology improving the health of the sport is immediately passed over in what I read. It's dismissed as an impossibility practically.

it's more likely that rule changes such as banning 3 point stance will help more than better helmets.

Ness
02-10-2012, 04:56 PM
it's more likely that rule changes such as banning 3 point stance will help more than better helmets.

Well obviously, but really, technology is improving every decade. If tomorrow we were back in the year 2000, we would all have difficulty getting around some things that today seem mundane, but just ten years ago it wasn't the case.

Just saying, this review sounds more like a wishful scenario with so many variables that all just happen to work like A + B = C. If football were to end, I just don't see it happening in this domino effect kind of fashion. Especially not in 10 to 15 years. If I were a betting man I'd put more stock into the 2012 prophecy being the reason why football comes to an end.

TimmG6376
02-10-2012, 05:15 PM
He ignores the idea of liability. These lawsuits are based on the idea the risks were ignored and/or concealed. If the NFL/NCAA jointly launch an educational campaign it won't take long before any kid wanting to play football will know the risks or at least the NFL/NCAA will be able to claim they made significant effort to make the risks known. At that point these lawsuits have very little weight.

descendency
02-10-2012, 05:20 PM
Just teach these idiots to tackle properly and concussions will fall dramatically.

And start jailing coaches (at high school and lower) that either teach or allow players to put their head into the equation.

It's really that simple. Yes, there are fixes needed to combat the rules changes too... but dropping your head as a defensive player OR as an offensive player should be an automatic penalty (15 yards from the spot).

DraftSavant
02-10-2012, 05:31 PM
He ignores the idea of liability. These lawsuits are based on the idea the risks were ignored and/or concealed. If the NFL/NCAA jointly launch an educational campaign it won't take long before any kid wanting to play football will know the risks or at least the NFL/NCAA will be able to claim they made significant effort to make the risks known. At that point these lawsuits have very little weight.

Winner winner, chicken dinner.

Vikings4ever
02-10-2012, 05:34 PM
No football Saturdays on college campuses means less binge drinking

I stopped reading there.

Bengalsrocket
02-10-2012, 05:35 PM
The coach continues: "Look, this is always going to be a rough sport. I played this game for a long time and I played it when nobody worried about head injuries. I know it can hurt. Now I'm 62 and I'm still hurting. The game sticks with you like that. Sometimes, when I can't remember where my keys are, I wonder if I can't remember because of the way I played. I don't want these kids to be thinking the same thoughts when they're my age."

You lost your keys buddy, that happens to everyone. Relax and stop over thinking it :P

WMD
02-10-2012, 05:37 PM
And start jailing coaches (at high school and lower) that either teach or allow players to put their head into the equation.
That's just not gonna happen.

DraftSavant
02-10-2012, 05:38 PM
I stopped reading there.

Dumbest. Assertion. Evar.

Bigburt63
02-10-2012, 05:51 PM
I always felt that giving more protection (pads) can actual cause more harm than good. Players basically become a heat seeking missile and don't feel anything from a huge hit (or at least less than the guy they hit).

They need to model the game closer to rugby (where the game came from). Strict penalties for high tackles and more focus on tackling low and properly.

That being said, I think the premise of the sport disappearing entirely is extreme and virtually impossible (entirely impossible in the near future).

DraftSavant
02-10-2012, 05:55 PM
I always felt that giving more protection (pads) can actual cause more harm than good. Players basically become a heat seeking missile and don't feel anything from a huge hit (or at least less than the guy they hit).

They need to model the game closer to rugby (where the game came from). Strict penalties for high tackles and more focus on tackling low and properly.

That being said, I think the premise of the sport disappearing entirely is extreme and virtually impossible (entirely impossible in the near future).

^^^^^^^^^^

Get rid of facemasks. Concussion problem solved.

FUNBUNCHER
02-10-2012, 09:02 PM
The NFL could implement weight limits per position. If football turned in a pure tackle sport like rugby, no more concussions. But it would look like a huge p*$$y game.

niel89
02-10-2012, 09:18 PM
One thing I would like to see implemented is mandatory usage of the top safety technology. If one helmet/mouth piece/chin strap is proven to have a significant safety advantage then players should have to use it. It's not that big of a deal to use a different helmet, and over all those plays any little advantage will really add up.

bucfan12
02-11-2012, 09:22 AM
Hm, players a lot bigger now than they were in the past certainly has a big deal with concussions. Welcome to the world of HGH, steriods, and yes even those over the counter supplements at GNC work as well to improve endurance, size, and strength.

Also, where are the fundamentals.? It seems like players these days, well a majority of them in the NFL, go for the big hit instead of wrapping up and tackling.

zachsaints52
02-11-2012, 09:30 AM
Hm, players a lot bigger now than they were in the past certainly has a big deal with concussions. Welcome to the world of HGH, steriods, and yes even those over the counter supplements at GNC work as well to improve endurance, size, and strength.

Also, where are the fundamentals.? It seems like players these days, well a majority of them in the NFL, go for the big hit instead of wrapping up and tackling.

So very true. Its sad when you can name on your hands the guys who can truly form tackle.

And if the whole concussion/head injuries lawsuits start to rack up, im sure there will be a clause in the near future that you know the risks of playing this game. IIRC, When Boldin got his jaw broke when he was a Cardinal people tried to say it was a cheap hit, but he said its apart of the game. The players know the sacrifices they are doing, for a game they love or for other reasons. To say football will be at its end anytime soon is absurd.

Tom Servo
02-11-2012, 12:45 PM
America is such a *****. Where have u gone Chuck Cecil?

JoeJoeBrown
02-11-2012, 01:04 PM
People used to die playing football when there was little padding and the game was a mob sport. So much so that the sport was almost made illegal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_American_football)via Presidential decree.

The game will continue to evolve. There has almost always been an outcry against the violence of the game.

Players are bigger and faster now, hell bigger and faster than just 15 years ago. PEDs are better and safer, training is better and safer, the gear is better, etc...

The problem with concussions is a nasty one. With big players comes more force and momentum resulting in more violent changes of direction. These sudden and violent changes of direction are almost impossible to stop. And no matter how good helmets are, the brain is still going to move violently inside of the skull.

Imagine a nerf ball floating in a hollow plastic sphere full of water. You move that ball around quickly and stop it, the nerf ball will squish up against the side of the sphere. That's what happens to your brain in a collision.

What scientists are working on is a way to stop the brain from squishing against the skull. The problem is, there isn't too much space in between the skull and the brain. So they have to figure out how to slow down the skull in a way that isn't too sudden. Hence, heavily padded helmets. But they don't really work that well.

One obvious way to really slow down brain injuries are huge bobble head helmets that are soft. Not practical, but pretty comical.

WRT the article, like others have mentioned, if you educate a hopeful player enough, the liability is now on the player to understand the risks of the game. Insurance may be altered and/or dropped on a player of the game, but people will still play it.

Ghost of Juice
02-11-2012, 01:27 PM
I have always thought that the best way to prevent concussions was by making the outside of the helmet softer. It could be as simple as taking a normal helmet and adding an outside layer with a material that can absorb contact.

Another thing they have to do is make any coach (peewee to high school) have a certified license to coach football so they can teach kids the proper way to run, block and tackle.

If they do these things the game will become much safer and the physicality can still stay in the game.

descendency
02-11-2012, 01:47 PM
America is such a *****. Where have u gone Chuck Cecil?

Probably dead years ago after too many concussions caused his brain to die.

That's just not gonna happen.

You're definitely underplaying the role of angry parents. The more this gets out, the more likely football is going to be forced to evolve or be canceled.

WMD
02-11-2012, 05:22 PM
I mean there's no way they would put a coach in jail for that. You can fire them, or fine them, give them a severe Indian burn, or a wet willy.. but trying to fit an Elementary school football coach into an already overcrowded jail isn't gonna happen.

bitonti
02-11-2012, 05:48 PM
WRT the article, like others have mentioned, if you educate a hopeful player enough, the liability is now on the player to understand the risks of the game. Insurance may be altered and/or dropped on a player of the game, but people will still play it.

it might not be lawsuits. it could just be high school kids and their parents choosing not to scramble their brains. You've educated them to the point of not being liable, ok Why would a kid take that risk for free?

It's the feeder programs that are at risk not the league.

I don't believe the sport will go away like poof it's gone - more like boxing is still around so is horse racing. they just are shells of their former glory.

I wonder what people in gladiator times would think if we told them there wouldn't be gladiators one day. JMO We will look back on it and say it's peak was right around now. and to be clear I love the game, played it on HS and College levels. But the writing is on the wall...

draftguru151
02-11-2012, 06:10 PM
One thing I would like to see implemented is mandatory usage of the top safety technology. If one helmet/mouth piece/chin strap is proven to have a significant safety advantage then players should have to use it. It's not that big of a deal to use a different helmet, and over all those plays any little advantage will really add up.

This is one thing that really bugs me when stuff like this comes up. The Xenith helmet is a ton better than any other one out there (last I read) but barely any pros wear it. Also barely any players wear mouth pieces when their effectiveness to reduce concussions is also well documented.