PDA

View Full Version : Revised 2007 NFL Draft

broncosfan
02-14-2012, 12:24 PM
So I was watching a 2007 Draft re-mock at walterfootball and realized something, what a great draft class for top talent! Take a look at the first 5 picks:

1 Calvin Johnson, WR, Georgia Tech
6-5, 239 lbs, 4.30 40 time.
Excellent player at Georgia Tech, consensus number 1 prospect in his draft, insane athletic ability: tight end body with corner speed.

2012 verdict: best WR in football. After 4 years of inconsistency at the QB position, he finally got a chance to show his full potetial with a healthy Mathew Stafford throwing him the ball

2 Joe Thomas, OT, Wisconsin
6-6, 310 lbs.
Excellent size, feet, power and tons of talent, one of the most highly-touted offensive linemen to enter the NFL Draft in years. Coming from Wisconsin he was well coached and very mature, composed young man.

2012 verdict: best OT in football. Thomas is one of the few bright spots in a horrible Cleveland team.

3 Darrelle Revis, CB, Pittsburgh
5-11, 204 lbs, 4.38 40 time.
Good player coming out of college with great potential, but he wasn't considered the best corner of his class.

2012 verdict: best CB in football. Darrelle Revis has been the best corner for 3 years in a row, shutting down one half of the field.

4 Patrick Willis, ILB, Ole Miss
6-1, 241, 4.51 40 time (4.37 at pro day).
Perfect size and unbelievable speed for a linebacker. He made some eye-popping tackles with the Rebels, while being a tackling machine and playmaker.

2012 verdict: best LB in football. Just like in college, Patrick Willis is a beast in the NFL: hard hitter, excellent in coverage, great blitzer and perfect tackler. In his 5 seasons he's totalled: 692 tackles, 17 sacks, 12 FF, 40 PDef (!!!!!) 5 int and 2 TD's.

5 Adrian Peterson, RB, Oklahoma
6-1, 217 lbs, 4.40 40 time.
Adrian Peterson was a beast at Oklahoma, complete all-around playmaker. He had some injury concerns coming out.

2012 verdict: best RB in football. You don't need me to tell you how much of a beast AD is , he had a fumbling problem to start his career but appears to be past that. Hope he returns at full strenght this season.

Coming out of college most of those guys had huge expectations (Revis being the exception) due to excellent combine numbers and measurables, combined with the fact that they had great careers but oh boy! have they delivered.

All of those guys are GREAT players, actually the best at their respective positions today in the NFL.

Bulldogs
02-14-2012, 12:31 PM
**** you Jamaal Anderson! Was begging for LaRon Landry or Adrian Peterson. They got picked the two selections before us. After that, I really wanted either Patrick Willis or Amobi Okoye. Obviously Okoye flamed out, but P-Willie is an absolute monster. Never liked Jamaal Anderson coming out, always looked fat and sluggish and I didn't understand the Julius Peppers comparisons he was getting. Revis obviously would have been nice too.

Prowler
02-14-2012, 12:42 PM
2007 was a great draft. I felt like everybody should have known that Joe Thomas, Calvin Johnson, Adrian Peterson, Patrick Willis, Gaines Adams, and LaRon Landry were going to be instant Pro Bowlers. Gaines wasn't, but those were some talented prototype kind of guys. I understood why a team might draft Jamarcus Russell in the top 10, but never in a million years over players like those. They might as well have been Orlando Pace, Randy Moss, Jim Brown, Ray Lewis, Michael Strahan, and Ronnie Lott.

Throw in the fact that they were the unquestioned guys at the top of their positions heading into the year and then performed well and stayed at the top. Plus put up insane combine numbers and blew every doubt out of the water.

A Perfect Score
02-14-2012, 12:48 PM
**** you Jamaal Anderson! Was begging for LaRon Landry or Adrian Peterson. They got picked the two selections before us. After that, I really wanted either Patrick Willis or Amobi Okoye. Obviously Okoye flamed out, but P-Willie is an absolute monster. Never liked Jamaal Anderson coming out, always looked fat and sluggish and I didn't understand the Julius Peppers comparisons he was getting. Revis obviously would have been nice too.

This is what I hate about this site. Jamaal Anderson wasn't "fat" or "sluggish" coming out. In fact, there were alot of people around here and in the NFL who thought he was very close to Mario Williams as a prospect. He was a long, rangy pass rusher who was strong against the run and had one of the better bull rushes I've seen since I started scouting. He was an extremely fluid prospect for his size and if I recall correctly, there wasn't much concern over his quickness or explosion off the edge after his monster junior year. I remember some minor concerns about his closing speed against the run, but as far as pass rushing goes, he was far from "fat" or "sluggish". I'd love to see Scott's scouting report on him, because from what I remember Jamaal Anderson was a stellar prospect and very deserving of going in the Top 10. It's this kind of revisionist history that bothers the hell out of me.

In fact, I distinctly remember hearing tons of Michael Strahan comparisons for Jamaal Anderson coming out.

Bulldogs
02-14-2012, 12:52 PM
This is what I hate about this site. Jamaal Anderson wasn't "fat" or "sluggish" coming out. In fact, there were alot of people around here and in the NFL who thought he was very close to Mario Williams as a prospect. He was a long, rangy pass rusher who was strong against the run and had one of the better bull rushes I've seen since I started scouting. He was an extremely fluid prospect for his size and if I recall correctly, there wasn't much concern over his quickness or explosion off the edge after his monster junior year. I remember some minor concerns about his closing speed against the run, but as far as pass rushing goes, he was far from "fat" or "sluggish". I'd love to see Scott's scouting report on him, because from what I remember Jamaal Anderson was a stellar prospect and very deserving of going in the Top 10. It's this kind of revisionist history that bothers the hell out of me.

In fact, I distinctly remember hearing tons of Michael Strahan comparisons for Jamaal Anderson coming out.

I assure you this isn't revisionist history. I hate when people do that too. Don't get me wrong, I'm wrong just as many times as I'm right. I thought Matt Ryan would be at best a Matt Hasslebeck type guy, and more than likely bust. I also thought Jimmy Williams was the second coming of Chris McAlister. I didn't like that Jamaal Anderson only produced for one year, and was not greatly impressed with his film.

DraftSavant
02-14-2012, 12:53 PM

#NEVARFORGET

Prowler
02-14-2012, 01:04 PM
I didn't watch any tape or any real games back then...it was the year of the casual observer being right over scouts about the top 10. The biggest names of 2006 were the best of the bunch and then wowed at the combine. Scouts probably over-thought some of their moves. I can understand some teams not being in position to grab CJ, Thomas, Adams, Landry, or Peterson...but Patrick Willis falling to #11? I don't care when MLBs are supposed to be drafted, he was the obvious best player left on the board after Peterson at 7.

I had thought that Jamaal Anderson was compared more to Richard Seymour back then. I understand the love of Okoye's upside and Ted Ginn's potential to be Tim Brown...but come on. A faster Ray Lewis potential trumps any of those guys' potential.

broncosfan
02-14-2012, 01:09 PM
2007 was a great draft. I felt like everybody should have known that Joe Thomas, Calvin Johnson, Adrian Peterson, Patrick Willis, Gaines Adams, and LaRon Landry were going to be instant Pro Bowlers. Gaines wasn't, but those were some talented prototype kind of guys. I understood why a team might draft Jamarcus Russell in the top 10, but never in a million years over players like those. They might as well have been Orlando Pace, Randy Moss, Jim Brown, Ray Lewis, Michael Strahan, and Ronnie Lott.

Throw in the fact that they were the unquestioned guys at the top of their positions heading into the year and then performed well and stayed at the top. Plus put up insane combine numbers and blew every doubt out of the water.

Yes, you're right if you see it from that perspective it was a boom or bust type selection for every team in the top 10. All of the guys taken had TONS of physical ability, some boomed.. some busted

There were also some great selections in the 2nd round: Weddle, Woodley, Kalil and to some degree: Steve Smith, Zach Miller, Sidney Rice, David Harris and Paul Posluszny

WT01
02-14-2012, 01:13 PM
Really glad the Seahawks basically got Deion Branch with their first round pick that year. 2300 yards in four and a half seasons with the team. Woo.

Prowler
02-14-2012, 01:36 PM
To bring it full circle, I feel similarly about Luck, Kalil, Richardson, Blackmon, and DeCastro this year. Upshaw, Ingram, and Zach Brown can join depending on combine performances.

SenorGato
02-14-2012, 01:41 PM

Anderson was a complete non-entity to me as a prospect. Didn't buy the hype, wasn't interested, and never thought the team I root for was even remotely interested.

The only way the 2007 draft could have been sweeter for the Jets was if they landed Woodley to go with Revis. Then again, the only way the 2007 draft gets better for the Steelers if they land Revis to go with Woodley. Neither team is losing sleep over the two guys they did get (Timmons and Harris).

Wasn't a big fan of the 2007 draft at the time. Obviously the top tier talent kicked ass and took names, but I never saw it as that deep a draft. I liked the aggressive approach the Jets took that year to grab starters...Not alot of guys I regret missing out on.

phlysac
02-14-2012, 01:47 PM
3 Darrelle Revis, CB, Pittsburgh
5-11, 204 lbs, 4.38 40 time.
Good player coming out of college with great potential, but he wasn't considered the best corner of his class.

The bolded always bothered me. I always felt that Revis was the #1 CB and it wasn't even close outside of Leon Hall. I never understood the top CB whispers around the likes of Chris Houston, Eric Wright, Josh Wilson, Marcus McCauley, etc.

Revis simply didn't allow receptions while at Pitt.

Found my post on this from another thread...
http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2158474&#post2158474

Caulibflower
02-14-2012, 02:21 PM
I assure you this isn't revisionist history. I hate when people do that too. Don't get me wrong, I'm wrong just as many times as I'm right. I thought Matt Ryan would be at best a Matt Hasslebeck type guy, and more than likely bust. I also thought Jimmy Williams was the second coming of Chris McAlister. I didn't like that Jamaal Anderson only produced for one year, and was not greatly impressed with his film.

He's still got a ways to go before he reaches the level Hasselbeck was at his best.

A Perfect Score
02-14-2012, 02:24 PM
He's still got a ways to go before he reaches the level Hasselbeck was at his best.

Not really. Ryan's season this year was statistically superior to Hasslebeck's best season, which was 07. Not significantly, mind you, but they're pretty similar in terms of where I would rank them among QB's. Better then good, but not great types.

49ersfan_87
02-14-2012, 02:50 PM
49ers did pretty good in this draft overall. Patrick Willis, Joe Staley, Ray McDonald, Dashon Goldson, and Tarrell Brown. 5 starters and they were all pretty good except for maybe Brown, who was more above-average ish. By far our best draft in a while.

bigbuc
02-14-2012, 02:58 PM
This is why the Bucs had to let go of the Jon/Allen combo

1 4 Gaines Adams DE 6 ft 5 in 258 lb Clemson
2 35 Arron Sears OG 6 ft 4 in 315 lb Tennessee
2 64 Sabby Piscitelli S 6 ft 3 in 224 lb Oregon State

when you swing and miss like that... you go back down to AAA.

To backup the Bucs Arron Sears was player before going crazy.

J-Mike88
02-14-2012, 03:34 PM
This is why the Bucs had to let go of the Jon/Allen combo

1 4 Gaines Adams DE 6 ft 5 in 258 lb Clemson
2 35 Arron Sears OG 6 ft 4 in 315 lb Tennessee
2 64 Sabby Piscitelli S 6 ft 3 in 224 lb Oregon State

when you swing and miss like that... you go back down to AAA.

To backup the Bucs Arron Sears was player before going crazy.
Well stated.
Tough to recover from big K's like that, with the bases loaded.

Same thing for the guy who chose Mandarich with Barry and Deion Sanders still on board, plus Derrick Thomas and Steve Atwater. But that's a long time ago.

Raider fans must want to hang the guy who passed all those 2007 SURE-FIRE studs to take the physical specimen at QB.
Wait....

Caulibflower
02-14-2012, 04:24 PM
Not really. Ryan's season this year was statistically superior to Hasslebeck's best season, which was 07. Not significantly, mind you, but they're pretty similar in terms of where I would rank them among QB's. Better then good, but not great types.

Yeah, and three other guys went over 5000 yards this year. Stats are just stats. Hasselbeck has 5 playoff wins and a Super Bowl appearance playing on similar types of teams; strong running game and good defense. Statistically, sure, there are similarities. I'm not saying Hasselbeck is any sort of all-timer, but I was never a huge fan of Matt Ryan, either. I think Hasselbeck is a pretty good player to hold him next to, but I can't say he's put himself on par with Hasselbeck quite yet. Win a few playoff games first. Those are important.

Bulldogs
02-14-2012, 04:53 PM
Yeah, and three other guys went over 5000 yards this year. Stats are just stats. Hasselbeck has 5 playoff wins and a Super Bowl appearance playing on similar types of teams; strong running game and good defense. Statistically, sure, there are similarities. I'm not saying Hasselbeck is any sort of all-timer, but I was never a huge fan of Matt Ryan, either. I think Hasselbeck is a pretty good player to hold him next to, but I can't say he's put himself on par with Hasselbeck quite yet. Win a few playoff games first. Those are important.

Fair enough. It's impossible to say at this point in Ryan's career. Some points I'd like to make though, the running game hasn't been particularly strong since 2009. I would say our running game this year would be above average, but Michael Turner is no Shaun Alexander, let's not get those two mixed up. Also our defense has been fairly weak, and at this point would be considered average at best.

Back to the topic at hand though, there were some great players that came out of that class. Obviously this is a little early, but I think you could make an argument that those five are all legitimate Hall of Fame contenders.

Caulibflower
02-14-2012, 05:04 PM
Some points I'd like to make though, the running game hasn't been particularly strong since 2009. I would say our running game this year would be above average, but Michael Turner is no Shaun Alexander, let's not get those two mixed up. Also our defense has been fairly weak, and at this point would be considered average at best.

Hahaha... As a Seahawks fan, I'd even say Michael Turner's peak was higher than Shaun Alexander's. That rushing title and MVP award belonged to Seattle's O-line. And that Super Bowl defense was right in the middle, probably a little better than Atlanta's this year but not by all that much. But you're right, we're picking nits a bit about a couple players who, when you think about how many players have gone through this league, do have an awful lot in common.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
02-14-2012, 05:13 PM
Jarvis Moss FML

Raiderz4Life
02-14-2012, 05:20 PM
Jarvis Moss FML

JaMarcus Sizzurp Russell

asdf1223
02-14-2012, 05:35 PM
Deion Branch. Best use of a 2007 first round pick.

rawdawg
02-14-2012, 07:01 PM
Ah, the draft that set the Bears back 3 years.

1 Greg Olsen Miami (Fla.)
2 Dan Bazuin Central Michigan -- never played a down for Bears
3 Garrett Wolfe Northern Illinois -- should have never played a down
3 Michael Okwo Stanford -- never played a down for Bears
4 Josh Beekman Boston College
5 Kevin Payne Louisiana-Monroe -- should have never played a down
5 Corey Graham New Hampshire
7 Trumaine McBride Mississippi
7 Aaron Brant Iowa State -- never played a down for the Bears

The Bears got the big heads and figured they were a strong enough team to take some shots in the dark. Didn't address the need to replace an old OL with 4 players over 30. Didn't address the need for a WR to replace the 34-year old and not that good, Muhsin Muhammad. Makes me so angry!

ChiFan24
02-14-2012, 07:07 PM
Just want to point out that I hate Walter Football and think it's a massively overrated draft site. Unless Scott know the people over there in which case.....disregard.

Preston
02-14-2012, 08:52 PM
You also seem to neglect to mention that the rest of the draft sucked pretty bad.

LonghornsLegend
02-14-2012, 09:53 PM
You also seem to neglect to mention that the rest of the draft sucked pretty bad.

That 1st round can put up an argument against any, especially if you factor in the star power of the top 5. Laron Landry, Marshawn Lynch, Lawrence Timmons, Michael Griffin, Dwayne Bowe, Jon Beason, Joe Staley, Benn Grubbs, Greg Olsen.

That's half the round, and those are all some pretty good starters.

Paul
02-14-2012, 10:40 PM
49ers did pretty good in this draft overall. Patrick Willis, Joe Staley, Ray McDonald, Dashon Goldson, and Tarrell Brown. 5 starters and they were all pretty good except for maybe Brown, who was more above-average ish. By far our best draft in a while.

Pretty Good? You come our of any draft with 5 quality starters, you win.

broncosfan
02-15-2012, 12:04 PM

The first two rounds overall were awesome.. maybe not for every team but still. But to your point, how many times an ENTIRE draft class turns out great?

broncosfan
02-15-2012, 12:08 PM
Also it seems that if your team didn't had an awsome draft like the Steelers, Jets or 49ers; you had a horrible draft like the Broncos, Raiders, etc.

DraftSavant
02-15-2012, 12:47 PM
1 21 Reggie Nelson
Good rookie season, fell off the face of a cliff after that. Decent starter in CIN now.

2 48 Justin Durant
Solid player, albeit inconsistent and injury prone. Starter in Detroit last year, I believe.

3 79 Mike Walker
Decent player, glass knees. Was a solid #2 before his latest knee injuries sapped the last bit of explosion he had left.

4 101 Adam Podlesh
Good punter who they let walk because they wanted a "directional kicker."

4 113 Brian Smith
Damaged goods. Never played a down in the NFL because of a hip injury he sustained in college.

5 149 Uche Nwaneri

Has turned into the best player on the offensive line.

5 150 Josh Gattis
Out of NFL.

5 166 Derek Landri
Decent rotational DT. In Philly now.

7 229 John Broussard
Out of NFL.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHH

brat316
02-15-2012, 01:30 PM
How does Mike Z seem to get the best out of all these leftover players?

The Bengals D should be trash considering how some of the players played with their previous teams, but then they meet Zimmer and he turns **** into metal.

How is this guy not a HC yet?

02-15-2012, 01:35 PM
The first two rounds overall were awesome.. maybe not for every team but still. But to your point, how many times an ENTIRE draft class turns out great?

Our terrible 2007 was acceptable based on the pure gold we got out of 06. Cutler, Marshall, Scheffler, Dumervil. We then flipped everyone except Doom for absolute crap.

descendency
02-15-2012, 02:03 PM
Really glad the Seahawks basically got Deion Branch with their first round pick that year. 2300 yards in four and a half seasons with the team. Woo.

Thanks for Brandon Meriw... :(

broncosfan
02-15-2012, 02:07 PM
Our terrible 2007 was acceptable based on the pure gold we got out of 06. Cutler, Marshall, Scheffler, Dumervil. We then flipped everyone except Doom for absolute crap.

Jarvis Moss and Tim Crowder=not acceptable.

Marcus Thomas has found a way to survive 2 coaching changes, 5 defensive coordinators, a change to the 3-4 and back to the 4-3, while being a mediocre at best player. I don't understand the NFL sometimes.

Ryan Harris was the only guy who did something good for us. One of the top RT's in the league his only year starting, then injuries took over his career.

So sad.

2006 draft was GREAT... freaking McD.

brat316
02-15-2012, 02:14 PM
Can you guys trade Ryan Clady to the steelers?

broncosfan
02-15-2012, 02:26 PM
Can you guys trade Ryan Clady to the steelers?

I don't see the logic in such a move

nobodyinparticular
02-15-2012, 02:27 PM
1. JaMarcus Russell, QB, LSU
2. Zach Miller, TE, Arizona State
3a. Quentin Moses, DE, Georgia
3b. Mario Henderson, OL, Florida State
3c. Johnnie Lee Higgins, WR, UTEP
4a. Michael Bush, RB, Louisville
4b. John Bowie, CB, Cincinnati
5a. Jay Richardson, DE, Ohio State
5b. Eric Frampton, S, Washington State
6. Oren O'Neal, FB, Arkansas State
7. Jonathan Holland, WR, Louisiana Tech

At least the Raiders got Miller and Bush out of it...

K Train
02-15-2012, 02:34 PM
man i remember gaines adams doing OLB drills at the combine just masterfully...i loved him

nobodyinparticular
02-15-2012, 02:40 PM

I don't think you understand how pathetic the Raider offense was in 2006. The team scored more than 14 points 4 times in the entire season. They had a high-water mark of 22 points in a game and that was against the lowly Arizona Cardinals. The team threw for a total of 7 TD passes in the entire season. The three QBs who attempted passes for the team were Andrew Walter, Aaron Brooks and Marques Tuiasosopo.

The team QB rating was 56.2 and no QB had a rating higher than 62.0. no Qb had a TD:INT ratio better matching 1:2. Yeah. You read that right.

The team scored a total of 168 points in the entire season. Only 4 other teams have scored less than 170 points in a 16 game season. They put up just over 10 points per game, meaning it was like they played the 2000 Baltimore Ravens every week for the entire season.

I will say again, this team played Andrew Walter, Aaron Brooks and Marques Tuiasosopo at QB in the 2006 season. They needed a QB in the 2007 draft.

That is why they selected Jamarcus Russell.

DraftSavant
02-15-2012, 03:26 PM
^^^so they basically had three Blaine Gabberts?

02-15-2012, 03:45 PM
Also, say what you want about Russell's off-field concerns, but on the field, the dude could play. People like to talk about him like he was Kyle Boller, an arm and nothing else. But he had great pocket mobility and accuracy to go along with the arm. He should have been a better Ben Roethlisberger. On the field, a great QB prospect.

San Diego Chicken
02-15-2012, 03:49 PM
I don't think you understand how pathetic the Raider offense was in 2006. The team scored more than 14 points 4 times in the entire season. They had a high-water mark of 22 points in a game and that was against the lowly Arizona Cardinals. The team threw for a total of 7 TD passes in the entire season. The three QBs who attempted passes for the team were Andrew Walter, Aaron Brooks and Marques Tuiasosopo.

The team QB rating was 56.2 and no QB had a rating higher than 62.0. no Qb had a TD:INT ratio better matching 1:2. Yeah. You read that right.

The team scored a total of 168 points in the entire season. Only 4 other teams have scored less than 170 points in a 16 game season. They put up just over 10 points per game, meaning it was like they played the 2000 Baltimore Ravens every week for the entire season.

I will say again, this team played Andrew Walter, Aaron Brooks and Marques Tuiasosopo at QB in the 2006 season. They needed a QB in the 2007 draft.

That is why they selected Jamarcus Russell.

It was still a poor decision in hindsight and realtime. The Raiders had never shown the patience to develop a QB, especially one with poor work habits (which we knew after the combine that year). They hit on Tim Brown/Marcus Allen type college superstars at the skill positions which is why they should have gone Calvin or Adrian.

I was actually surprised when Al pulled the trigger on Russell.

DraftSavant
02-15-2012, 03:49 PM
I have no shame in admitting I liked Jamarcus.

San Diego Chicken
02-15-2012, 04:01 PM
Also, say what you want about Russell's off-field concerns, but on the field, the dude could play. People like to talk about him like he was Kyle Boller, an arm and nothing else. But he had great pocket mobility and accuracy to go along with the arm. He should have been a better Ben Roethlisberger. On the field, a great QB prospect.

I wouldn't say great. Controversial. Great if you fall in love with arm strength. Not so great if you value football intelligence and quick processing of info, and work ethic... many predicted Russell would be a bust.

Prowler
02-15-2012, 04:15 PM
Hearing Aaron Brooks and Andrew Walter helps to bring back the memories. I think its safe to say that 2007 should be a clear example of the "Golden Rule" failing a franchise.

bengalbuck
02-16-2012, 12:44 AM
How does Mike Z seem to get the best out of all these leftover players?

The Bengals D should be trash considering how some of the players played with their previous teams, but then they meet Zimmer and he turns **** into metal.

How is this guy not a HC yet?

I am a big Zimmer fan and he's been the best Bengals D coordinator in at least a decade, but the reclamation projects on the Bengals D are not quite as impressive as you maybe give them credit for.

The Bengals D finished middle of the pack this past season and the best players were almost all Bengals draft picks (Leon Hall, Carlos Dunlap, Geno Atkins, Domata Peko, Frostee Rucker, Rey Maualuga, etc.).

Of the reclamation types, Reggie Nelson made some positive plays, but also had some pretty terrible plays that led to long TDs also. The guy is frustrating as hell to watch. Pacman was the same way, with less good plays. Really the only reclamation type that I thought was above average as a starter was Thomas Howard. That guy was extremely solid and made a lot of nice plays with very few mistakes.

bengalbuck
02-16-2012, 12:50 AM
As far as the Bengals 2007 draft, Leon Hall at #18 overall was a good pick. I was really hoping that Revis fell to us but the Jets traded up to 14 or 15 take him (and he probably wouldn't have made it past the Steelers anyway).

The worst part of the draft was that everyone in the world knew the Bengals badly needed a LB (Pollack had broken his neck and Odell Thurman was on crack) so a couple teams traded ahead of the Bengals in the 2nd round and there was a mini-run on LBs with Lamar Woodley, David Harris and Justin Durant all going right before our pick. The Bengals said they had been targeting Harris, but the Jets again traded up and got our guy.

With all the LBs gone, it led to RB Kenny Irons of Auburn being the pick. He tore up his knee in the preseason and never played a regular season snap for the Bengals.

The Bengals sometimes get lucky by sitting tight and hoping their guy falls to them (last year with Dalton) instead of trading up. But they are incredibly transparent as to who they are targeting and often it leads to teams jumping right ahead of them to snap up the Bengals' target. 2007 was one of those years where it happened and really hurt.

vidae
02-16-2012, 12:59 AM
1. Dwayne Bowe
2. Turk McBride
3. Tank Tyler
5. Kolby Smith
5. Justin Medlock
6. Herb Taylor
7. Michael Allan

Basically awful outside of Bowe. Everyone else is with a new team.

Caddy
02-16-2012, 01:06 AM
1. Dwayne Bowe
2. Turk McBride
3. Tank Tyler
5. Kolby Smith
5. Justin Medlock
6. Herb Taylor
7. Michael Allan

At least your first round pick is alive... :\

TACKLE
02-16-2012, 01:12 AM
1 29 (29) Ben Grubbs G Auburn
3 10 (74) Yamon Figurs WR Kansas State
3 22 (86) Marshal Yanda G Iowa
4* 35 (134) Antwan Barnes OLB Florida International
4* 38 (137) Le'Ron McClain FB Alabama
5* 37 (174) Troy Smith QB Ohio State
6* 33 (207) Prescott Burgess OLB Michigan

We got two of the top guards in the league along with a pro bowl fullback (and the RB who carried our offense one season). Troy Smith was a decent back up for a couple of years. Prescott Burgess is still with the team but is about what you expect out of a 6th round LB - special teamer/practice roster guy. Antwan Barnes did nothing for us but got 12 sacks this year for the Chargers and Figurs was useless. Not a flashy draft but a very solid one.

Vox Populi
02-16-2012, 01:16 AM
1. Marshawn Lynch - Good pick, not with the Bills though
2. Paul Posluszny - Good pick, not with the Bills though
3. Trent Edwards - Good pick, until Adrian Wilson
4. Dwayne Wright - Didn't do anything
6. John Wendling - Really solid special teamer
7. Derek Schouman - Athletic TE that never did anything
7. C.J. Ah You - Never did anything

The Bills first three picks looked fantastic for a while. Then Marshawn hit a lady with his car, then had weapons in his car, and then Fred Jackson proved to be a better player for less money and without the head aches. Posluszny was solid but not amazing, left for a contract in Jacksonville. Trent Edwards was great until Adrian Wilson concussed the **** out of him and turned him into captain check down.

If the Bills match Jacksonville's offer last year, and Marshawn wasn't an idiot, the Bills basically would have had an extra 1st round pick in the 2010 draft and a 2nd round pick in the 2011 draft to use on positons that weren't RB or ILB.

Pat Sims 90
02-16-2012, 01:33 AM
1. Leon Hall
2. Kenny Irons
4. Marvin White
5. Jeff Rowe
6. Matt Toeaina
7. Dan Santucci
7. Chinedum Ndukwe

Hall was only one that turned out.

T-RICH49
02-16-2012, 01:39 AM
1. Dwayne Bowe
2. Turk McBride
3. Tank Tyler
5. Kolby Smith
5. Justin Medlock
6. Herb Taylor
7. Michael Allan

I think Kolby Smith could have been solid injuries really derailed him IMO

vidae
02-16-2012, 02:16 AM
I think Kolby Smith could have been solid injuries really derailed him IMO

Probably, yeah. He was always hurt though.

ChiFan24
02-16-2012, 04:29 AM
1. Leon Hall
2. Kenny Irons
4. Marvin White
5. Jeff Rowe
6. Matt Toeaina
7. Dan Santucci
7. Chinedum Ndukwe

Hall was only one that turned out.

Toe's pretty solid.

jbooshey
02-16-2012, 06:48 AM
1/16 Justin Harrell Defensive Tackle Tennessee
Maybe the biggest bust of the draft...hard to argue Jamarcus, but at least he saw the field.

2/63 Brandon Jackson Running Back Nebraska
Had some moments as a 3rd down back, but couldn't break a tackle to save his life.

3/78 James Jones Wide Receiver San Jose State
Still with the team and a nice receiver. He would probably produce more if on a different team.

3/89 Aaron Rouse Safety Virginia Tech
He was actually a pretty good safety that fooled a lot of people into thinking he could be a very good starter. That didn't happen though.

4/119 Allen Barbre Offensive lineman Missouri Southern St.
He was horrible and a total project.

5/157 David Clowney Wide Receiver Virginia Tech
Never did anything as a Packer, but I believe he is still with the Jets.

6/191 Korey Hall Inside linebacker Boise State
He played a number of years in GB as a FB and a nice special teamer. He was pretty good, but GB had 3 FB's and he lost out to John Kuhn.

6/192 Desmond Bishop Inside linebacker Cal
A starting ILB for us now. Took him awhile to crack the lineup but I don't think that was his fault. Good pick.

6/193 Mason Crosby Kicker Colorado
He has turned into a great kicker. He battle some inconsistency, but was outstanding last year. Capped off one of the better 6th rounds I can remember.

7/228 DeShawn Wynn Running Back Florida
He became the RB that was given too many chances. I'm not sure I ever saw the potential, but the coaches wasted a lot of time hoping he'd stay healthy.

7/243 (compensatory) Clark Harris Tight end Rutgers
I don't think he made the team that year.

PossibleCabbage
02-16-2012, 08:52 AM
Harrell at least looked decent when he played, it's just that he hurt his back and with a DT when you lose the back you lose everything, so blame the strength coach on that one. Prior to his biceps injury in college, Justin Harrell looked like the same sort of prospect that Ndamukong Suh turned out to be.

That's a miss, but not a terrible miss. You draft a guy, he gets hurt, he can't play, and you cut him. Happens a lot.

K Train
02-16-2012, 08:59 AM
Lawrence Timmons- Was drafted as an OLB to replace porter when james harrison was an unknown...had a shaky rookie year cause of groin problems, only thing i remember him doing was a few ST tackles and tearing ricky williams pectoral muscle in a mud bowl at heinz field. Since then hes moved inside and gained 25 pounds....had a down year last season but i think hes pretty cemented as a top tier MLB in a 34. I wanted willis, timmons, or spencer that year....absolutely cringed at the thought of carriker or revis though. **** revis. Timmons is a great blitzer, no longer a liability against the run (got his **** pushed in early in his career) and he can legit run stride for stride with recievers

Lamaar Woodley- Was unblockable in his first training camp and it didnt take long for him to unseat clark haggans. He and timmons are now two of the richest LBs in the league. For not being overally fast he has a mean bullrush and is one of the better closing pass rushers in the league, he just doesnt miss

Matt Spaeth- blows. now a bear...his 6-7 body and stone hands were useless

Dan Sepulveda- was a top 5 punter when healthy...however has had 3 season ending knee injuries. his huge leg, high hang time, and 4.4 speed made him special....however i cant see the steelers bringing him back, his knees are beyond shot

Cam Stephenson- suck, was cut and replaced with fellow rutger scrub darnell stapleton

William ***- gets a lot of **** but is one of the better NBs out there, great tackler, great run supporter, and solid in coverage...love him at NB, he shuts down slot WRs...its guys like TO and Gronk that destroy him for obvious reasons

Dallas Baker- they took a shot on him, never could really do much

phlysac
02-16-2012, 11:39 AM

1(11) - Patrick Willis - ILB - Ole Miss
1(28) - Joe Staley - OT - Central Michigan
3(76) - Jason Hill - WR - Washington State
3(97) - Ray McDonald - DE - Florida
4(104) - Jay Moore - OLB - Nebraska
4(126) - Dashon Goldson - S - Washington
4(135) - Joe Cohen - DT - Florida
5(147) - Tarell Brown - CB - Texas
6(186) - Thomas Clayton - RB - Kansas State

Dan_Steele
02-16-2012, 09:45 PM
What really shocks me is how the 2007 QB class panned out. JaMarcus Russell had every physical quality NFL teams look for; arguably one of the strongest arms in NFL history, excellent size, and proven winner at the college level. Brady Quinn epitomized everything "intangible" characteristic an NFL team looks for; he was incredibly intelligent (honors student, dual major, Dean's List), also a proven winner, hard worker, an excellent leader, and defined "Notre Dame" character.

Even the QB's that followed had minimal success at best (Drew Stanton, Kevin Kolb, Jon Beck, Trent Edwards). Its pretty shocking how difficult it is to scout a quarterback. I'm sure there wasn't a single analyst or scout that predicted that not a single QB from this class wouldn't be talented NFL starter (Jury is still out on Kolb).

ATLDirtyBirds
02-16-2012, 10:43 PM
Here's a better idea. Let's never revisit this draft again, ever.

GaMeTiMe
02-16-2012, 11:15 PM
2 4 (36) Kevin Kolb QB Houston
2 25 (57) Victor Abiamiri DE Notre Dame
3 23 (87) Stewart Bradley OLB Nebraska
3 26 (90) Tony Hunt RB Penn State
5 22 (159) C.J. Gaddis S Clemson
5 25 (162) Brent Celek TE University of Cincinnati
6 27 (201) Rashad Barksdale DB University at Albany
7 26 (236) Nate Ilaoa RB Hawaii

Wow. Kolb was just baffling when it happened and trust me, no matter what anyone says, he never showed anything in Philly. We laughed all the way to the bank in the trade with Arizona and the fact that he's already on the hot seat isn't surprising at all. If we end up picking a promising player with Arizona's 2nd this year I'll consider the '07 draft a long-term success but obviously who knew for this reason at the time.

broncosfan
02-16-2012, 11:18 PM
Here's a better idea. Let's never revisit this draft again, ever.

Haha, sorry if I brought you bad memories

mqtirishfan
02-16-2012, 11:31 PM
2 25 (57) Victor Abiamiri DE Notre Dame

As a Notre Dame fan, I never understood how Abiamiri managed to get drafted in the second round.

PossibleCabbage
02-16-2012, 11:39 PM
This is weird to me. Isn't the normal period of time in which to judge a draft either 3 or 4 years? So why are we talking about 2007 instead of 2008 or 2009?

GaMeTiMe
02-16-2012, 11:55 PM
This is weird to me. Isn't the normal period of time in which to judge a draft either 3 or 4 years? So why are we talking about 2007 instead of 2008 or 2009?

Honestly, I feel like this class as a whole never comes up outside of JaMarcus and maybe Calvin/Peterson. And we now all have definitive results of what these guys have turned into a good portion into most of their careers..

SenorGato
02-16-2012, 11:56 PM
1/16 Justin Harrell Defensive Tackle Tennessee
Maybe the biggest bust of the draft...hard to argue Jamarcus, but at least he saw the field.

2/63 Brandon Jackson Running Back Nebraska
Had some moments as a 3rd down back, but couldn't break a tackle to save his life.

3/78 James Jones Wide Receiver San Jose State
Still with the team and a nice receiver. He would probably produce more if on a different team.

3/89 Aaron Rouse Safety Virginia Tech
He was actually a pretty good safety that fooled a lot of people into thinking he could be a very good starter. That didn't happen though.

4/119 Allen Barbre Offensive lineman Missouri Southern St.
He was horrible and a total project.

5/157 David Clowney Wide Receiver Virginia Tech
Never did anything as a Packer, but I believe he is still with the Jets.

6/191 Korey Hall Inside linebacker Boise State
He played a number of years in GB as a FB and a nice special teamer. He was pretty good, but GB had 3 FB's and he lost out to John Kuhn.

6/192 Desmond Bishop Inside linebacker Cal
A starting ILB for us now. Took him awhile to crack the lineup but I don't think that was his fault. Good pick.

6/193 Mason Crosby Kicker Colorado
He has turned into a great kicker. He battle some inconsistency, but was outstanding last year. Capped off one of the better 6th rounds I can remember.

7/228 DeShawn Wynn Running Back Florida
He became the RB that was given too many chances. I'm not sure I ever saw the potential, but the coaches wasted a lot of time hoping he'd stay healthy.

7/243 (compensatory) Clark Harris Tight end Rutgers
I don't think he made the team that year.

I think Crosby is the only K prospect in memory that I was pissed didn't become a Jet. Big leg coming out of school...one of the better K prospects to come out in a while.

JHL6719
02-17-2012, 12:22 AM
Where are the dipsh*ts at now that passed up Patrick Willis for Ted Ginn Jr.?

That's just brutal. Sorry for any of you Fin Fans out there that had to witness that.

02-17-2012, 06:04 AM
...or Brady Quinn. As it turns out, BQ was pretty much the only guy who could have turned out worse for them. At least Ginn had that monster game against the Jets.

Poz51
02-17-2012, 07:58 AM
1. Marshawn Lynch - Good pick, not with the Bills though
2. Paul Posluszny - Good pick, not with the Bills though
3. Trent Edwards - Good pick, until Adrian Wilson
4. Dwayne Wright - Didn't do anything
6. John Wendling - Really solid special teamer
7. Derek Schouman - Athletic TE that never did anything
7. C.J. Ah You - Never did anything

The Bills first three picks looked fantastic for a while. Then Marshawn hit a lady with his car, then had weapons in his car, and then Fred Jackson proved to be a better player for less money and without the head aches. Posluszny was solid but not amazing, left for a contract in Jacksonville. Trent Edwards was great until Adrian Wilson concussed the **** out of him and turned him into captain check down.

If the Bills match Jacksonville's offer last year, and Marshawn wasn't an idiot, the Bills basically would have had an extra 1st round pick in the 2010 draft and a 2nd round pick in the 2011 draft to use on positons that weren't RB or ILB.

Very well said, very well said... Dont forget Poz was our best LB, and was constantly asked to man up on faster more athletic TE's and RB's, because our OLB's and Donte Whitner couldnt. The only LB's left on the team are Arthur Moats who was a rooke DE conversion, and Chris Kelsey who never was a LB.

ryno626
02-17-2012, 10:53 AM
1 24 Brandon Meriweather Safety Miami (FL)
4 127 Kareem Brown Defensive end Miami (FL)
5 171 Clint Oldenburg Offensive tackle Colorado State
6 180 Justin Rogers Linebacker SMU
6 202 Mike Richardson Cornerback Notre Dame
6 208 Justise Hairston Running back Central Connecticut State
6 209 Corey Hilliard Offensive guard Oklahoma State
7 211 Oscar Lua Linebacker USC
7 247 Mike Elgin Center Iowa

LOL

They did trade for Welker and Moss though so that softens the blow a little bit. Adalius Thomas was their big free agent pickup as well.

The Patriots were a veteran heavy team at the time and there wasn't a lot of room on the roster for some young blood. Meriweather was the only player who made it through the end of the year on the roster I believe. Looking back I don't think there was a prospect that the team could have realistically traded up to grab and so this year was the year that started the tradition of trading out of spots to pick up additional picks in the next draft. They traded Seattle's pick to San Fran so San Fran could grab Joe Staley.

Dan_Steele
02-17-2012, 11:40 AM
Round 1 - Lawrence Timmons-LB-Florida State
- There was no secret here, Steelers wanted their home-town boy with this pick: Darrelle Revis. Jets leap-frogged the Steelers and are reaping the rewards. Timmons is still a very solid player.

Took him a few years to get the understand playing a new position in a new defense but after understanding the mental portion of the game his elite athleticism took over. in 2010, he turned in his finest season, emerging as one of the most talented 3-4 ILBs in the NFL. Didn't play as well in 2011 after receiving a monster contracy but he has definitely established himself as one of the team's most talented players and leaders and should continue to perform as such for the next few years. Solid draft pick.

Round 2 - Lamarr Woodley-DE/OLB-Michigan
- One of the leagues best pass rushers, at an incredible value. A consistent threat for 10+ sacks a season. Locked down for a few more years, A+ pick here.

Round 3 - Matt Spaeth-TE-Minnesota
- One the Mackey Award as Senior, third TE picked in arguably one f the worst TE classes of the past ten years. Good player, but far from great. Very limited athletically and was kept mostly in-line to block whenever he entered the game. Was a solid contributor when filling in for an injured Heath Miller but could never offer the same affect. Now on the Bears and is their blocking specialist.

Round 4 - Ryan McBean-DL-Oklahoma State
- Never really flashed anything with the Steelers, at least not enough to emerge from the Practice Squad. Got picked up by the Broncos and has received a great deal of playing time and some starts.

Round 5 - Cameron Stephenson-G-Rutgers
- Combine darling, not talented on the field. Had a miserable camp and never broke out of any team's Practice Squad.

Round 5 - William ***-CB-Louisville
- Tomlin's pick, this was the guy he hammered on the table for. *** has turned in a very solid career for the Steelers. Even though he has looked downright awful at times and turned in a horrendous 2009 season, *** has excelled inside and has emerged as one of the league's best Nickel-Backs. Too often the scapegoat for a loss, *** has been a very solid player and a great find.

Round 7 - Dallas Baker-WR-Florida
- Leak and Tebow's favorite target during Florida's first championship season. Showed flashes during camp and was active for a few games but his limited skills as a receiver and his inability to play special teams bounced him out of the league.

Overall 2007 proved to be a very very very good draft for the Steelers, picking up 3 defensive starters, two of which are perennial All-Pro candidates. Spaeth played his role well and has moved on to a new team and McBean has found success in Denver. 5 of 7 players will all be entering their 6th NFL season and should most likely be around for much longer, not a bad accumulation of talent in one draft.