PDA

View Full Version : Rueben Randle, WR, LSU

JohnCandy
02-15-2012, 03:21 PM
Just today Rueben Randle made an appearance in Mike Mayocks Top 5 and in the 1st round of Mel Kiper's Mock Draft.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/story/09000d5d826f9cd9/article/precombine-position-rankings-for-2012-nfl-draft?module=HP11_cp

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft

I do not know a lot about him and he seems to be climbing quickly into the 1st round conversation for WRs.

Can someone tell me about Randle?

How does he compare to?

How high can he go?

http://i.usatoday.net/sports/_photos/2011/10/22/No-2-LSU-proves-too-tough-for-Auburn-3LGM7F6-x-large.jpg

katnip
02-15-2012, 06:02 PM
I want the Jets to grab him round 2 hopefully

descendency
02-15-2012, 06:13 PM
There are some expecting him to blow up the combine with the lack of premiere athletes at WR this year (at the top of the board).

Michael Floyd and Justin Blackmon won't be overly impressive (both are expected in the 4.5+ range). Neither will Alshon Jeffery.

Guys like Kendall Wright and Rueben Randle are projected to "ace the combine".

My gut feeling is that Kendall Wright will go to #1 on a few teams boards and Rueben Randle will compete for 3rd on some boards. Both will receive first round grades from a few organizations, however, I still think Randle is a high top of the second guy. A team would really have to love his athleticism to overlook his underdeveloped system knowledge (limited route tree, limited experience in an option system, etc).

There's also a bit of worry that a guy like Sanu or even Juron Criner blows up the combine and could leapfrog a few guys.

The second round is going to be stacked with good WRs or we are going to break an NFL record on first round WRs.

TACKLE
02-15-2012, 06:14 PM
I've seen him as a legitimate 1st round talent for a while now. Very good size, natural hands and can pluck the ball, impressive combination of speed and quickness for his size, can explode in and out of his breaks, has a large catching radius, can go up and win in jump ball situations and can create after the catch. It's impressive how well he was able to produce despite the incompetency of his QB's. He doesn't pop in one particular area but he is really a very well rounded talent. He's only been playing WR for the last three years so there's still some room for growth there as well. I'm surprised he's remained relatively under the radar given that he was the #1 recruit coming out of high school playing on a team with a ton of exposure. I'm curious what he could do with a real quarterback.

JohnCandy
02-15-2012, 06:34 PM
If given the choice in the mid-late 1st round who would you rather have Mohamed Sanu or Rueben Randle?

It is interesting that he is starting to blow up right now, which is a good sign since people have started looking at the Junior tape.

49ersfan_87
02-15-2012, 07:00 PM
Would he be a good choice at 30 for the 49ers pick?

JRTPlaya21
02-15-2012, 09:16 PM
I was high on him coming outta high school. Top 10 recruit though Tackle. The Bryce Brown somehow was consensus #1 lol. Anyways if Randle had say Mettenberger as his QB this past season he would probably be a top 15 pick. I feel like Randle can be that good.

descendency
02-16-2012, 12:18 AM
Would he be a good choice at 30 for the 49ers pick?

My personal opinion is that he'd be a dumb pick, but that depends on how the board shakes down.

There are a lot of WRs in this class that could be really good. If another spot is going to be very thin, I would go with another position.

30th seems like a reach, but I have a feeling someone will reach for him.

cmarq83
02-16-2012, 08:01 AM
Physically, he's all there, but I hate the way he catches the football. Way too many body catches IMO. He has the ability to make the easy catches look easy and the harder catches look hard. It sort of mitigates the advantage he has in terms of length. It's going to take a lot of work from a professional receivers coach to fix that, but if it's fixed watch out.

JohnCandy
02-16-2012, 08:36 AM
There are some expecting him to blow up the combine with the lack of premiere athletes at WR this year (at the top of the board).

Michael Floyd and Justin Blackmon won't be overly impressive (both are expected in the 4.5+ range). Neither will Alshon Jeffery.

Guys like Kendall Wright and Rueben Randle are projected to "ace the combine".

My gut feeling is that Kendall Wright will go to #1 on a few teams boards and Rueben Randle will compete for 3rd on some boards. Both will receive first round grades from a few organizations, however, I still think Randle is a high top of the second guy. A team would really have to love his athleticism to overlook his underdeveloped system knowledge (limited route tree, limited experience in an option system, etc).

There's also a bit of worry that a guy like Sanu or even Juron Criner blows up the combine and could leapfrog a few guys.

The second round is going to be stacked with good WRs or we are going to break an NFL record on first round WRs.

I think starting with the Bears at 19, we could see a serious mid-late 1st round run on WRs.

The more I watch of Randle the more I see a 1st round WR.

I have been comparing him and Sanu and while Sanu is more physical I do not see the speed and ability to threaten vertically down the field. Randle ran 4 routes when I watch some LSU film, but what I saw was a guy that did not waste movement and could affectively seperate from SEC QBs.

I do not hold the Alabama games against him they were taking him away and the QB play made Tommy Rees look Heisman worthy.

JohnCandy
02-16-2012, 08:41 AM
Does he remind anyone of Kenny Britt when he came out?

Big, long and fast, but limited routes and some rough edges that would need to be worked on.

PossibleCabbage
02-16-2012, 08:49 AM

Which is to say that the second round will be stacked with good WRs, since even if Blackmon, Wright, Floyd, Randle, Jeffrey, Sanu, and Criner go in the first round, that only ties 2004 (Larry Fitzgerald, Roy Williams, Reggie Williams, Lee Evans, Michael Clayton, Michael Jenkins, Rashaun Woods).

I can't see an eighth WR going in the first round, I have trouble seeing six honestly.

bornnraisedwhodat
02-16-2012, 10:02 AM
LSU's passing game was so terrible its hard for me to evaluate the kid. Physically he is all there though. If he can impress at the combine I could see him peaking in the 1st round. Reminds me a lot of Robert Meachem and could see him having a similar career (struggling to grasp the NFL game at first but getting better as time goes along).

JohnCandy
02-16-2012, 10:08 AM
You are picking at 25 and you are choosing between Sanu and Randle, who do you pick and why?

Why is Sanu not in the top 5 of Mayock Rankings?

Poz51
02-16-2012, 11:05 AM
My .02...
Positives - Long strider who does not often get caught from behind, deceptive/sneaky speed, hardly ever lets the ball hit his pads leading to few drops and uses his hands to catch the ball well, has a good understanding of defenses and, down and distance, improved over the last two years, and has a high ceiling (will improve, was a high school QB), still growing as a wide receiver, tracks the ball well over his shoulder and makes the play on the deep ball, most often catches and gets upfield as fast as he can, good field awareness, uses his head to literally fake out corner backs and fake deep routes on comebacks and deep curls, sells deep routes, great size, inconsistencies and development may have been the result of poor QB play.
Negatives - Not acceptional at getting in and out of his breaks (slow twitch?), does not get great seperation, nothing special in terms of acceleration, not a great route runner and needs further development, was primarily a deep threat at L.S.U and needs to develop his short and intermediate route running, doesnt make defenders miss, will need the right coaching to develop his potetial, not a great run blocker, could have used another year in college IMO, not always great at getting off the line vs. press coverage.
Overall - The "potential" with Randle is high, the question for me is will he work to realize it. He made the switch from high school QB to college WR, and showed improvement, so he is ascending in that regard. Questions regarding acceleration, build up speed, burst and seperation keep in from being a 1st round caliber prospect IMO, but with the right coaching and development could be a solid #2 who could draw coverage. Randle is difficult to gage at times because of potentially poor QB play most of his career with Jordan Jefferson running the offense, and seemed to me to be more consistant with Andy Lee running the offense to me. Anyway, I have him as a second round prospect who needs work, but has considerable upside. The first round talk is a bit much for me and would be what I consider a reach.

FUNBUNCHER
02-16-2012, 11:23 AM
I don't like taking long term WR projects in the first round.

JohnCandy
02-16-2012, 11:43 AM
Rumors are swirling that he will run sub 4.4 [40], which may cause him to get into the 1st round permently.

Poz51
02-16-2012, 12:09 PM
I don't like taking long term WR projects in the first round.

That is a big part of the reason I have him as a second rounder. He has tons of talent and ability, but needs alot of work, too much to take him in the first IMO.

Rumors are swirling that he will run sub 4.4 [40], which may cause him to get into the 1st round permently.

If he runs a sub 4.4 I will be shocked, watching all the LSU games the last two + years, I dont see it. Maybe on a fast track, I dont think he has the explosion to do it, although I would bet his second 20 is faster than his first.
If I am wrong (not the first time), and he does run a sub 4.4 forty, than you are probably right about him going in the first round.

Iamcanadian
02-16-2012, 03:58 PM
Randle played in a poor passing system with nothing special at QB. The Combine should be his time to shine if he is capable. Until we see him work out at the Combine, he is at best a round 2 guy. If he can dominate at the combine, he'll move up especially if he has elite speed.

brat316
02-16-2012, 04:10 PM
The slow track in lucas stadium we shall see.

JHL6719
02-16-2012, 05:29 PM
You are picking at 25 and you are choosing between Sanu and Randle, who do you pick and why?

Why is Sanu not in the top 5 of Mayock Rankings?

1. Randle, because he's going to be a better pro IMO. Faster with more upside, but will also get physical.

2. Because he's too slow. A one speed possession receiver who can fight his hands at times.

I think Sanu has become one of the most overrated prospects in this draft.

JohnCandy
02-16-2012, 07:41 PM
Mayock on the top WRs in the draft: Four wide receivers should be drafted in the 1st round: Blackmon, Kendall Wright, Michael Floyd, Rueben Randle, but not Alshon Jeffery or Mohamed Sanu.

Z-Report Says: Not really a surprise on this front. As I said in my mock draft, teams view Rueben Randle as a potential #1 WR and love his size/speed. While he wasn’t as productive as the other potential first rounders, teams realize he had QB issues at LSU he had to deal with as well as an extremely conservative attack compared to the other three wide receivers.

http://blog.chron.com/fantasyfootball/2012/02/mike-mayock-gives-his-opinions-on-draft-prospects-i-chime-in-with-mine/

SenorGato
02-16-2012, 09:11 PM
Physically, he's all there, but I hate the way he catches the football. Way too many body catches IMO. He has the ability to make the easy catches look easy and the harder catches look hard. It sort of mitigates the advantage he has in terms of length. It's going to take a lot of work from a professional receivers coach to fix that, but if it's fixed watch out.

This. He's just peaking right now in hype. He's not a first rounder, I don't think.

Also, I'd take Sanu over him.

JohnCandy
02-16-2012, 10:04 PM
This. He's just peaking right now in hype. He's not a first rounder, I don't think.

Also, I'd take Sanu over him.

I thought very similarly, but when Mayock is so committed to him being a 1st round pick and the 4th best WR in the draft it makes you really think.

At the same time Mayock is really down on Jeffery and Sanu.

norcalgsr
02-18-2012, 06:14 PM
1. Randle, because he's going to be a better pro IMO. Faster with more upside, but will also get physical.

2. Because he's too slow. A one speed possession receiver who can fight his hands at times.

Totally feel the same about Sanu.

Duffman57
02-19-2012, 01:23 AM

I'm pretty sure Anquan Boldin is what you just described in #2, and he put up some alright numbers in his first few years as a #1 before Fitzy rolled around...

stlouisfan37
02-19-2012, 03:20 AM
Where do you guys see T.Y. Hilton going in this draft? I have read a variety of projections, anywhere from early-2nd to the 5-7 range.

He is a very intriguing prospect to me. He has special speed, maybe even elite. He absolutely embarrassed Louisville this year and got the kind of separation that is really hard to find. His return ability is an added bonus. He has very good hands and is comfortable going over the middle.

His size and durability will be the biggest concerns about him going pro, as well as his level of competition. That hamstring injury that knocked him out of the Senior Bowl was probably a big blow to his draft stock.

Has anyone heard whether or not he will be ready to run at the Combine?

TACKLE
02-19-2012, 03:28 AM
I think the general lack of excitement towards Randle is due to the fact (as I see it) that his athleticism is really underrated for whatever reason. Maybe I'm wrong but I expect a strong combine showing. He can create and make guys miss with the ball in his hands far better than a guy like Floyd.

JohnCandy
02-21-2012, 03:45 PM
I think the general lack of excitement towards Randle is due to the fact (as I see it) that his athleticism is really underrated for whatever reason. Maybe I'm wrong but I expect a strong combine showing. He can create and make guys miss with the ball in his hands far better than a guy like Floyd.

Post combine where do you expect him to be ranked as a WR?

And where do you think he is ranked overall?

bornnraisedwhodat
02-21-2012, 10:57 PM

Dude played in one of..if not the worst passing offense in college football. I love Randle but I still find it hard to analyze him with such a poor passing attack. Not sure about his football IQ but if he can adapt to the game quickly and learn the whole route tree, and understand the playbook..he cold be a steal in the the 2nd round.

SenorGato
02-22-2012, 03:20 AM

I really don't like Floyd so I went back and looked at Randle. I agree that I like him more than Floyd and maybe I underrated him earlier in this thread.

Razor
02-22-2012, 03:28 AM
I really don't like Floyd so I went back and looked at Randle. I agree that I like him more than Floyd and maybe I underrated him earlier in this thread.

So did I after reading Tackle's comment and Randle is now my third rated receiver behind Blackmon and Wright.

1. Justin Blackmon, Oklahoma State - 6'1" 207 lbs - RS JR
2. Kendall Wright, Baylor - 5'10" 190 lbs - SR
3. Reuben Randle, LSU - 6'4" 208 lbs - JR
4. Michael Floyd, Notre Dame - 6'3" 227 lbs - SR
5. Mohamed Sanu, Rutgers - 6'2" 218 lbs - JR
6. Joe Adams, Arkansas - 5'11" 190 lbs - SR
7. Stephen Hill, Georgia Tech - 6'5" 206 lbs - JR
8. Dwight Jones, North Carolina - 6'4" 220 lbs - SR
9. Tommy Streeter, Miami (Fl.) - 6'5" 215 lbs - JR
10. Brian Quick, Appalachian State - 6'5" 220 lbs - SR
11. Alshon Jeffery, South Carolina - 6'4" 233 lbs - JR
12. Chris Givens, Wake Forest - 6'0" 195 lbs - JR

AntoinCD
02-22-2012, 10:06 AM
So did I after reading Tackle's comment and Randle is now my third rated receiver behind Blackmon and Wright.

1. Justin Blackmon, Oklahoma State - 6'1" 207 lbs - RS JR
2. Kendall Wright, Baylor - 5'10" 190 lbs - SR
3. Reuben Randle, LSU - 6'4" 208 lbs - JR
4. Michael Floyd, Notre Dame - 6'3" 227 lbs - SR
5. Mohamed Sanu, Rutgers - 6'2" 218 lbs - JR
6. Joe Adams, Arkansas - 5'11" 190 lbs - SR
7. Stephen Hill, Georgia Tech - 6'5" 206 lbs - JR
8. Dwight Jones, North Carolina - 6'4" 220 lbs - SR
9. Tommy Streeter, Miami (Fl.) - 6'5" 215 lbs - JR
10. Brian Quick, Appalachian State - 6'5" 220 lbs - SR
11. Alshon Jeffery, South Carolina - 6'4" 233 lbs - JR
12. Chris Givens, Wake Forest - 6'0" 195 lbs - JR

I really have to disagree here.

The only thing Randle has on Floyd is "maybe" an inch or so in height and he is a better athlete.

As far as being a WR though, Floyd has almost everything you look for.

He high points the ball, isn't a body catcher, knows how to set DBs up, runs the full route tree, explodes out of his breaks, is physical with the ball in his hands, can make spectacular catches and is a very good blocker.

Randle is extremely raw and may have the physical tools to be a better pro but I don't see any realistic arguement (with the exceptions of off the field stuff) that make Randle a better prospect.

If Floyd was clean off the field he would be a top ten pick. If he was a little faster is he would be a top 5 pick.

JohnCandy
02-24-2012, 08:14 PM
LSU WR Rueben Randle measured 6-foot-2 7/8 and 210 pounds at Friday's Scouting Combine weigh-in.

Randle also has a 77-inch wingspan. While Randle is more than an inch shorter than his 6-foot-4 college listing, he's two pounds heavier and a rocked-up specimen. He's going to be a top-30 pick if he runs in the low-4.5s on Sunday.

PhillyBirds25
02-24-2012, 09:24 PM
I love Randle and think he will be a great player but no way I rank him higher than Floyd. Michael Floyd is a very special player

JohnCandy
02-26-2012, 11:49 PM
What do you guys think of Randle's combine?

He was 1/10th of a second slower than I thought he would be, but he caught the ball well.

Razor
02-27-2012, 12:53 AM
I'd still take Randle over Floyd, so I think he did pretty well. His forty time is good for a man his size and his hands are good. Sure fire first rounder at this point imo. I can't wait to see how many receivers will go in the first. It's the strength of this class and could potentially push down players at other positions.

jimmylishis
02-27-2012, 01:57 PM
I'd still take Randle over Floyd, so I think he did pretty well. His forty time is good for a man his size and his hands are good. Sure fire first rounder at this point imo. I can't wait to see how many receivers will go in the first. It's the strength of this class and could potentially push down players at other positions.

Why? I really don't get all this Randle love. Yeah he's a solid prospect but what do you see in him that makes him a better prospect than Floyd?

AntoinCD
02-27-2012, 02:06 PM
I agree. I love Floyd. He is so fluid, uses his body well and catches the ball with his hands. If he had a bit more explosion coming out of his breaks he would be an elite prospect (minus the off the field issues)

Iamcanadian
02-27-2012, 05:46 PM
I thought very similarly, but when Mayock is so committed to him being a 1st round pick and the 4th best WR in the draft it makes you really think.

At the same time Mayock is really down on Jeffery and Sanu.

Mayock was disappointed in his 40 time and may not keep him in his top 5.

Heisman
03-14-2012, 04:17 PM
Where is Randle's stock now?

He never looked THAT fast on tape, is a bit of a body catcher, and doesn't play up to his size.

Mid-2nd rounder?

Iamcanadian
03-14-2012, 07:33 PM
Where is Randle's stock now?

He never looked THAT fast on tape, is a bit of a body catcher, and doesn't play up to his size.

Mid-2nd rounder?

He'll be a mid 2nd rounder after he posted that slow 40 time. He lost a lot of ground to many pro scouts and GM's.

duesouth
03-15-2012, 06:51 AM
He'll be a mid 2nd rounder after he posted that slow 40 time. He lost a lot of ground to many pro scouts and GM's.

I think he's still over rated in the mid 2nd. Just saw a mock on another site with him to my Jags in round 2, which would impress me about as much as Blaine Gabbert last!!!

I think this is quite a deep WR class - not enough real stars - but certainly on day three I could find someone who will be as good as Randle - guys like Marvin Jones, Dwight Jones, Jeff Fuller, Greg Childs and Tommy Streeter - some will slip to day three and I'd take any of these there than Randle in the mid 2nd.

Iamcanadian
03-15-2012, 07:55 AM
I think he's still over rated in the mid 2nd. Just saw a mock on another site with him to my Jags in round 2, which would impress me about as much as Blaine Gabbert last!!!

I think this is quite a deep WR class - not enough real stars - but certainly on day three I could find someone who will be as good as Randle - guys like Marvin Jones, Dwight Jones, Jeff Fuller, Greg Childs and Tommy Streeter - some will slip to day three and I'd take any of these there than Randle in the mid 2nd.

Randle is a very smooth route runner who may not be a true #1 but could be really effective NFL #2. He doesn't appear to have the speed to burn you deep but that is his only negative.

SenorGato
03-15-2012, 06:18 PM
I'm getting to the point where I think I'm underrating Floyd. There's a month+ until the draft so any rankings I make until then can't be cereal.

JohnCandy
03-24-2012, 11:20 AM
LSU WR Rueben Randle clocked forty times of 4.33 and 4.37 at the Tigers' Thursday Pro Day.

Randle ran 4.50 and 4.56 at the Combine. While LSU has a fast track (Mo Claiborne improved from 4.50 to 4.39), Randle clearly is not speed deficient. Randle also drew praise for his work in position drills. "He did an outstanding job of reaching out and plucking the ball with his hands," said one source at the workout. Sporting News' Russ Lande expects Randle to be a top-20 pick.

JohnCandy
03-24-2012, 11:47 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/18001345/big-board-despite-what-you-hear-pro-days-matter-to-scouts

CBS Sports had Randle at 25.

25. Rueben Randle, WR, LSU: Despite earning All-SEC accolades in 2011, Randle didn't post eye-popping numbers as a junior (53 catches for 973 yards and eight touchdowns). He has been a standout in the conference since signing as an extremely highly touted prep prospect, and has made significant gains each year. Those who questioned his downfield speed after showing just ho-hum speed (4.55 at the combine) were silenced when Randle was clocked in the low 4.4s on two attempts at the 40-yard dash at his March 22 pro day.

BearTooth
03-24-2012, 12:02 PM
It's hard to rank these guys when they're all so different. A guy like Sanu—who I think is going to be a star in the right scheme—wouldn't appeal to every team. He's strictly a big, short field, RAC type receiver. Rueben Randle and Stephen Hill are the exact opposite, X-receivers who would appeal to teams looking for stretch the field options. Wright and Adams are the slots, though Wright can definitely take it deep. Blackmon and Floyd are big, ball skilled Z receivers like Sanu, but unlike Sanu have the speed to double as deep threats.

It's the double threats that will come off the board first: Blackmon, Floyd and Wright. Hill and Randle should be 2nd rounders, but need could push them into the 1st. Hill scares me a little. He showed some sticky fingers at the combine, but why does the name Troy Williamson keep haunting me?

Anyway...that's how I think of 'em.

TACKLE
03-24-2012, 12:27 PM
It's hard to rank these guys when they're all so different. A guy like Sanu—who I think is going to be a star in the right scheme—wouldn't appeal to every team. He's strictly a big, short field, RAC type receiver. Rueben Randle and Stephen Hill are the exact opposite, X-receivers who would appeal to teams looking for stretch the field options. Wright and Adams are the slots, though Wright can definitely take it deep. Blackmon and Floyd are big, ball skilled Z receivers like Sanu, but unlike Sanu have the speed to double as deep threats.

It's the double threats that will come off the board first: Blackmon, Floyd and Wright. Hill and Randle should be 2nd rounders, but need could push them into the 1st. Hill scares me a little. He showed some sticky fingers at the combine, but why does the name Troy Williamson keep haunting me?

Anyway...that's how I think of 'em.

Evaluating WR's always gives me a difficult time for the reason you alluded to. I would say of any position, a WR's success is the most situation dependent. The same guy can be a high impact player on the right team, in the right system with a great QB and can struggle to produce at all in a different situation. The same could be said about any position to certain extent as well. I mean if a guy can flat out play he will make his plays regardless but still, receivers' production is affected the most by external factors.

norcalgsr
03-24-2012, 07:08 PM
LSU WR Rueben Randle clocked forty times of 4.33 and 4.37 at the Tigers' Thursday Pro Day.

Randle ran 4.50 and 4.56 at the Combine. While LSU has a fast track (Mo Claiborne improved from 4.50 to 4.39), Randle clearly is not speed deficient. Randle also drew praise for his work in position drills. "He did an outstanding job of reaching out and plucking the ball with his hands," said one source at the workout. Sporting News' Russ Lande expects Randle to be a top-20 pick.

Rueben Randle didn't run anywhere near a 4.3, I measure him at 4.5 in this video, give or take .04 seconds

http://youtu.be/ShUxulJ7FOs

bengalbuck
03-24-2012, 07:33 PM
Randle's one of my favorite prospects in this draft and I think he's generally underrated.

There are 2 things that I think are overlooked sometimes when talking about him.

1. He finished 3rd in the SEC in receiving yards last year despite playing in a run first offense with crappy QB play. Maybe he is somewhat raw, but that seems to be way overstated by many. If he can put up those type of numbers in the SEC in that LSU offense, he has to have some level of polish. And if he doesn't and really is as raw as people say, then he must be an amazing talent to produce like he did. (Note: Randle put up about 900 yards this year. AJ Green and Julio Jones each put up more than 900 yards only once in their college careers (AJ had 960 as a freshman, Julio had 1000 as a junior).)

2. He is only 20 years old and played QB for much of his high school career. Guys like Wright and Floyd both turned 22 during last season.

Anyway, I love him at #21 for the Bengals. I think he will be plenty productive as a rookie. And I think 3 years from now, when he is 23 and really adds the polish that many say he's currently missing, we could end up viewing him as the best WR to come out of this class.

bengalbuck
03-24-2012, 07:37 PM
By the way, I have another somewhat interesting comparison for Randle to a guy who played a different position, Aaron Hernandez.

Hernandez also left school at age 20 after putting up similar receiving numbers to Randle (850 yards). He ran a good 40 time (mid-4.6s) but not as fast as many suspected.

He has proven to be a steal and is a guy who is still growing into his talent as a very young guy still. In fact, Hernandez was born the exact same month and year as Wright and Floyd.

LonghornsLegend
03-26-2012, 10:31 PM

Nobody should even be surprised anymore when skill position players only want to run their 40 at their pro day. We put way too much stock into these times anyway, dude is fast and a very good athlete everyone knew that before the combine.

You can say LSU has a fast track all you want, but a 4.56 is a huge jump up to 4.33, that tells you all you need to know about how certain places/people can time a 40 yard dash and have such a huge discrepancy in times. Nobody gets that much faster in that amount of time.

But for now we have people who take these numbers and use them like it's concrete evidence. Why do you think most personnel sit in the stands and use their own stop watches?

norcalgsr
03-27-2012, 12:37 AM
LSU wasn't a fast track. It's the scouts who have horrible eyes and a slow reaction time. You want concrete evidence, just download the video and calculate it yourself. http://www.mediafire.com/?0s9alq8ko1bael5

Heisman
03-28-2012, 12:08 PM
Anybody else think Rueben Randle compares a lot to Michael Jenkins did as a prospect coming out of Ohio State?

They didn't totally blow you away in college with their production, and they have solid height/speed but play shorter and slower than they should.

I think I'm really starting to sour on Randle.

norcalgsr
03-28-2012, 05:24 PM
Did you get that idea from this: http://fantasydouche.com/2012/03/comparing-reuben-randle-javon-walker-and-michael-jenkins/

Heisman
03-28-2012, 08:12 PM
Did you get that idea from this: http://fantasydouche.com/2012/03/comparing-reuben-randle-javon-walker-and-michael-jenkins/

No.... I wouldn't make comparisons based on something I saw on a website called "fantasydouche.com"

FUNBUNCHER
03-28-2012, 08:42 PM
Some guys IMO are just athletically arrogant and barely do a thing to get ready for the combine and totally stop training after their last game of the season. It's not crazy to believe Randle is closer to a 4.45 guy instead of a 4.55 WR.

I don't think you can credit two-tenths of a second discrepancy to a fast track. To me it sounds like Randle hired a speed coach after the combine and keyed in on his start.

There's a reason why it used to be said about Deion Sanders that he was so naturally fast without ever training that he could roll out of bed, put on a pair of sneaks and run a 4.3. That means Deion in his early twenties could not do any type of real training for weeks and still run a blazing time.
Even most fast guys can't do that.

When Mike Vick got out of prison and started training for his return to the NFL, the first few times he ran the 40 he struggled to break 4.5 flat.

Just saying i tend to believe Randle is a fast guy who ran slow at the combine instead of a prospect who ran a suspicious time at LSU's pro day.

norcalgsr
03-28-2012, 09:14 PM
No.... I wouldn't make comparisons based on something I saw on a website called "fantasydouche.com"

LOL. Don't be mistaken, he has some good statistical insight.