PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Combine Sleepers Thread

CMR#20
02-15-2012, 07:56 PM
Post some sleepers for the 2012 NFL Combine. One of my sleepers is Cory Harkey. Harkey is a 6 foot 5 259 pound blocking tight end from UCLA. Harkey could really move up draft boards if he dominates the catching drills at the combine.

I'm going to keep doing research and continue to list potential sleepers for the Combine on DC forums as I am researching.

For a full list of combine prospects you can click the link below.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/13682485/34737006

SenorGato
02-15-2012, 09:00 PM
Vinny Curry will complete the climb at the combine.

TACKLE
02-15-2012, 10:18 PM
Not an under the radar player per say but Fletcher Cox has the athleticism to blow the lid off the combine. Sub 4.8 would not shock me. Fleener could surprise some people with his forty time as well.

SpeekEz71
02-15-2012, 10:22 PM
I'm a big Mohamed Sanu guy (since I'm a Rutgers alum), and Rutgers players have tended to work out pretty well in recent years

Caulibflower
02-15-2012, 10:30 PM
I don't know how much of a "sleeper" he is, but I just posted in another thread that I think Doug Martin has the potential to really turn heads at the combine.

DrAbaddon
02-16-2012, 12:28 AM
My money is on Coby Fleener running much faster than everyone thinks.

I'll even go this far, I have Fleener's time vs. Blackmon's. Takers?

Spaceboy1
02-16-2012, 12:11 PM
Watch out for Patrick Edwards from Houston. I look for him to run a sub 4.4 40.

bitonti
02-16-2012, 01:19 PM
they say DB Jansen Jackson, McNeese St (former Tennesee) can run 4.3 legit.

bitonti
02-16-2012, 01:20 PM

it's an interesting prop. They will be close. If only Fleener had won the biletnikoff 2x :)

Fleener beats Alshon Jeffrey's time easy

Babylon
02-16-2012, 01:34 PM
Danny Coale Wr out of Virginia Tech may surprise some people.

As for Fleener, i can see some 40 time in the high 4.5s to low 4.6s but doubt that changes his draft status either way.

niel89
02-16-2012, 02:00 PM
My money is on Coby Fleener is going to run much faster than everyone thinks.

Fleener's time is going to be better than expected but it's not going to be radically shocking. His athleticism is generally underrated but its not like people think he is some stiff.

I'm also excited about Chris Owusu. The guy was a burner 2 years ago and hopefully he can show off at the combine and maybe get himself drafted real late.

Babylon
02-16-2012, 02:14 PM
Fleener's time is going to be better than expected but it's not going to be radically shocking. His athleticism is generally underrated but its not like people think he is some stiff.

I'm also excited about Chris Owusu. The guy was a burner 2 years ago and hopefully he can show off at the combine and maybe get himself drafted real late.

Agree on Fleener. He's probably gaining interest because of what they do there in New England and may be an alternative for a team needing another wideout.

Owusu i have my doubts about. He has some ability but like a fighter that has taken one too many blows to the head i dont see him overcoming that.

ChiFan24
02-16-2012, 02:16 PM
Yeah I'm not seeing the Fleener thing....he's awesome and a first rounder in my book, granted, but not gonna pull a Greg Olsen or something at the combine.

FUNBUNCHER
02-16-2012, 02:32 PM
If Fleener runs in the 4.5s at the combine at a weight close to 260#, that would shock the sheet out of me. Lock first rounder.

What DT do people see putting up the best combine numbers??

Don Vito
02-16-2012, 02:45 PM
Not an under the radar player per say but Fletcher Cox has the athleticism to blow the lid off the combine. Sub 4.8 would not shock me. Fleener could surprise some people with his forty time as well.

This. Cox is an absolute freak and I don't think a lot of people realize it. I know a lot of high school times are crazily inflated, but he was widely considered to be a 4.5 or slightly sub 4.5 guy as a 245 pound DE prospect in highschool. He could pull of one of the best combines a DT has ever had.

Babylon
02-16-2012, 02:50 PM
Yeah I'm not seeing the Fleener thing....he's awesome and a first rounder in my book, granted, but not gonna pull a Greg Olsen or something at the combine.

Mid 4.5s? Very doable. At least till they adjust the time to 4.62.

CMR#20
02-16-2012, 03:00 PM
Marcel Jones is a run blocking right tackle from Nebraska. Jones may be worth a late round flyer in round 7.

Razor
02-16-2012, 03:02 PM

I doubt that, but I do like him. If he interviews well he could move up after the combine. Also, I think Fleener is a 4.7 guy.

CMR#20
02-16-2012, 03:16 PM
Is Janzen Jackson a player that gets drafted? Davin Meggett succeed Dar'el Scott I could see him going from undrafted to NFL starter ala Willie Parker or Ben Jarvus Green Ellis.

BuddyCHRIST
02-16-2012, 03:24 PM
Nigel Bradham
6'2"
35 reps

CMR#20
02-16-2012, 03:24 PM
Speaking of small school corners you got Janoris Jenkins, Trumaine Johnson, Josh Norman, and Ryan Steed in the fold. One more small school corner to eye on is micah pellerin from hampton. Pellerin could go in the 5th round on day 3. Pellerin will be an interesting late round pick.

CMR#20
02-16-2012, 03:25 PM
Nigel Bradham
6'2"
35 reps

Bradham is one of my sleepers as well. When is the earliest you would take Bradham?

CMR#20
02-16-2012, 03:40 PM
Cyhl Quarles is a 6 foot 3 205 pound strong safety from Wake Forest. Quarles could compete to get drafted with a strong combine.

niel89
02-21-2012, 01:12 AM
Boo. Fleener is out with a foot injury for the combine. I hope he can get healed up for the pro day.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/20/fleener-wont-do-drills-at-the-combine/#comments

GaMeTiMe
02-21-2012, 02:15 AM
Nigel Bradham
6'2"
35 reps

Agreed. Huge on Bradham. For the person that asked the earliest you'd take him - I think he is an "elite" 3rd round prospect but if he really does blow up the combine, and he's a freakishly ripped athlete, I don't see why plenty of teams wouldn't have him rated higher overall than Burfict.

stlouisfan37
02-21-2012, 03:30 AM
I like TY Hilton from FIU. He is small and somewhat injury prone, but has great hands, gets fantastic separation, has great return value, and "special"-to-"elite" speed. Missed the Senior Bowl with a hamstring injury and I haven't heard anyone talking about him. I have read mixed reports about him...as high as early 2nd and as low as the 5th or 6th. If he isn't ready to run at the Combine he could completely fall under the radar and end up being a late round steal.

Another guy that is supremely talented but has serious character concerns is Walt Harris from Oregon. This guy has all the tools but they say he just can't keep his head on straight. Probably a long shot to get his act together when he gets paid, but his ceiling is seriously vaulted if someone could just channel his energy.

SenorGato
02-21-2012, 03:41 AM
George Iloka might end up the late first safety, or just the first safety off the board whenever that happens. He reminds me of a bigger Nate Allen...much bigger, but a legit FS prospect.

Who else...Billy Wynn should have a good combine. Chandler Jones...Jacquies Smith...Oliver Vernon....Jonathan Massaqoui....Dont'a Hightower is going to work out well...Lots of D.

rawdawg
02-21-2012, 06:11 PM
Speaking of small school corners you got Janoris Jenkins, Trumaine Johnson, Josh Norman, and Ryan Steed in the fold. One more small school corner to eye on is micah pellerin from hampton. Pellerin could go in the 5th round on day 3. Pellerin will be an interesting late round pick.

I think the small school CB to watch out for is Asa Jackson, out of Cal Poly. He may wind up running the fastest time on the final day of the combine. He was recruited to Notre Dame for track, but they would not let him play football. Like any good CB, he has plenty of swagger. Won't be intimidated by the big stage next week.

Pat Sims 90
02-21-2012, 06:16 PM
CB Josh Robinson UCF will turn some heads.

4U2NV
02-21-2012, 06:23 PM
I can't wait to see what Reuben Randle is going to do in Indy.

Duffman57
02-21-2012, 06:54 PM
Stephen Hill is gonna shock the world with a VERY impressive 40. He's got legit 4.3 long strider speed.

Duffman57
02-21-2012, 06:58 PM
Another guy that is supremely talented but has serious character concerns is Walt Harris from Oregon. This guy has all the tools but they say he just can't keep his head on straight. Probably a long shot to get his act together when he gets paid, but his ceiling is seriously vaulted if someone could just channel his energy.

Where in the HELL did you come up with Walt???? hahaha

Cliff or Cliffy would be his name.

But i dont really think he'll test all that well, at least in the 40. He'll put on a show in the agility drills and probably the jumps. But he's more quick than fast and really doesn't have ALL that much speed, but he'll be a solid low 4.5 high 4.4 type guy.

stlouisfan37
02-21-2012, 07:10 PM
You'll have to forgive me...I was really tired when I wrote that post! My bad.

While he may not test out well, there is no denying that Cliff Harris is a hell of a player. He has excellent ball skills, fantastic field vision, and makes plays. While he may not have fantastic 40 speed, he plays very fast. Honestly, to me he is more interesting than anything else. While I would not invest in a high pick for him, and probably don't want him on my team at any cost, I will still be watching to see how his career goes.

Brent
02-21-2012, 07:40 PM
TY Hilton, like someone before me said.

And, because of my bias, Cyrus Gray (assuming he is there).

brat316
02-21-2012, 07:50 PM
Jordan White , Chandler Jones.

Shane P. Hallam
02-21-2012, 08:00 PM
TY Hilton won't be working out due to injury.

Josh Robinson a big sleeper!

TACKLE
02-21-2012, 09:27 PM
Olivier Vernon has the athleticism to be that guy who comes out of nowhere, blows up the combine and puts himself on the radar after his performance in Indy.

There's been talks of Tommy Streeter running a 4.3 forty for the past year at UM and it's certainly a possibility. He says he's up to 223 now. If he could run 4.40 or faster at 6'5 225....well yeah.

Complex
02-21-2012, 09:34 PM
Nigel Bradham will be more impressive than Zach Brown at the combine.

Tommy Streeter, Brian Quick and Alshon Jeffery will all impressive at the combine.

norcalgsr
02-21-2012, 09:44 PM
Chris Polk will put up the best 3-cone and short shuttle time among running backs. Bernard Pierce should be right up there as well.

bornnraisedwhodat
02-21-2012, 10:54 PM
Not necessarily a sleeper, but I think Weeden will have a coming out party after the Combine w/ Griffin and Luck deciding not to throw. I think teams and media will fall in love with his story per say and and his arm strength and professional demeanor will ignite a lot of 1st round talk, his age will cause controversy but in the end I think he will go at the top of round 2.

Master Exploder
02-21-2012, 11:02 PM
I think Orson Charles is going to surprise a lot of people.

stlouisfan37
02-21-2012, 11:13 PM
TY Hilton won't be working out due to injury.

Josh Robinson a big sleeper!

TY Hilton not working out could really hurt his stock and make him a total steal in this draft.

stlouisfan37
02-21-2012, 11:16 PM
Not necessarily a sleeper, but I think Weeden will have a coming out party after the Combine w/ Griffin and Luck deciding not to throw. I think teams and media will fall in love with his story per say and and his arm strength and professional demeanor will ignite a lot of 1st round talk, his age will cause controversy but in the end I think he will go at the top of round 2.

I think the age thing gives people something to debate, but I really don't see it being that big of a deal for GM's. Last year Danny Watkins went early at 27

ChiFan24
02-22-2012, 03:36 AM
Where in the HELL did you come up with Walt???? hahaha

Cliff or Cliffy would be his name.

But i dont really think he'll test all that well, at least in the 40. He'll put on a show in the agility drills and probably the jumps. But he's more quick than fast and really doesn't have ALL that much speed, but he'll be a solid low 4.5 high 4.4 type guy.

I hated Walt Harris until 2001.....then he became competent and I loved him.

Iamcanadian
02-22-2012, 06:46 AM
Fleener won't break 4.60, he'll be lucky to break into the 4.6's. He's more of a 4.68-4.73 type. He's a polished route runner and pass catcher, he doesn't have the speed of an Allen or Charles.

duesouth
02-22-2012, 08:32 AM

I was doing some work on him last week - excellent range. If he checks out off the field, he could be a very high pick.

Shane P. Hallam
02-22-2012, 09:06 AM
Fleener won't break 4.60, he'll be lucky to break into the 4.6's. He's more of a 4.68-4.73 type. He's a polished route runner and pass catcher, he doesn't have the speed of an Allen or Charles.

Fleener isn't running due to ankle injury.

xpmar9x
02-22-2012, 09:31 AM
When does the combine start? According to NFL.com it's today, but I can't find a schedule for like what positions go on what day, etc.

Shane P. Hallam
02-22-2012, 09:35 AM
When does the combine start? According to NFL.com it's today, but I can't find a schedule for like what positions go on what day, etc.

No real positional stuff until Saturday according to http://www.nfl.com/combine/live

But the initial stuff will be happening over the next three days, weigh-ins, etc.

MassNole
02-22-2012, 12:38 PM
I expect FSU CB Mike Harris to have an impressive workout.

jimmylishis
02-22-2012, 02:41 PM
I've heard people say Juron Criner will run a 4.6+. If this is honestly what people believe he will impress at the combine. I think he'll run closer to a 4.4 than a 4.6

Sarcastro
02-22-2012, 03:18 PM
Dom Hamilton out of Missouri. 6'5 320 pound DT, and he is very strong and athletic. He'll be one of the top performers on the bench.

underscore
02-22-2012, 03:21 PM
Dom Hamilton out of Missouri. 6'5 320 pound DT, and he is very strong and athletic. He'll be one of the top performers on the bench.

As will OG Johnnie Troutman from Penn State

Grizzlegom
02-22-2012, 04:33 PM
As will OG Johnnie Troutman from Penn State

There's a few Penn State players here I expect to perform well. Crawford has better athleticism than his tape shows. Chaz Powell is a great athlete. I expect Nathan Stupar to test really well at OLB, he's much more athletic than your typical Penn State linebacker. I wish Stephfon Green was going, he's got legit 4.3 speed (maybe even 4.2s).

A non-Penn State player I like as a combine sleeper is Coryell Judie. His injury riddled senior season has him as somewhat of a forgotten man amongst the CBs. I think he'll perform very well and re-establish himself as a day 2 prospect.