PDA

View Full Version : Vontaze Burfict, ILB, Arizona St.

MikeBaltimore12
02-21-2012, 11:58 AM
He's one of the best inside backers I've seen in along time. I understand that people think he's crazy, which is why he is projected so low in the first round by seemingly everyone. What is the root of this madness? Has there been acts of real life disturbing behavior beyond what we see from Suh any given Sunday? Or is that exactly it, Suh like behavior on the field?

HakeemtheMachine
02-21-2012, 12:10 PM
He's one of the best inside backers I've seen in along time. I understand that people think he's crazy, which is why he is projected so low in the first round by seemingly everyone. What is the root of this madness? Has there been acts of real life disturbing behavior beyond what we see from Suh any given Sunday? Or is that exactly it, Suh like behavior on the field?
I have more of a problem with his poor instincts.The guy takes himself out of a plays alot by simply choosing the wrong gap or ignoring his assignments.His attitude is bad on top of that.His tape as a freshman is the same as a Junior which means he probably doesnt take to coaching either. I can live with Suh's issues because he is actually a good football player

Nebula
02-21-2012, 12:31 PM
One of the best inside linebackers you've seen in a long time? With all due respect to your opinion, Zach Brown has just as good of a burst downhill, if not better. Even last years draft, Bruce Carter was a similar explosive athlete like Burfict.

Burfict is essentially a guy who rarely diagnoses the play, freelances in coverage, is extremely undiscplined, and refuses to stay with his run keys. He's a guy who you can't win with in zone coverage and is going to make a lot more bad plays than good early on in his NFL career. Sure, he is an explosive athlete but there are other linebackers that will come and go that's just as good of an athlete without the character issues

bitonti
02-21-2012, 12:41 PM
by the time the draft comes there will easily be 100 players more qualified to play in the NFL than Burfict. I've seen mocks with him 1st or 2nd, that's too high for a guy with his baggage. he's a mid round pick at best. also remember the new concussion leading with the helmet rules hurt his value, even if he was in terrific shape and respectful of Dennis Erickson.

steelersrock151
02-23-2012, 09:40 AM
Most people who've been paying attention have dropped him out of their first round mocks. He just doesn't seem to have the motivation to excel in the NFL, from what I've read. Right now, though, I see someone taking him late 2nd/early 3rd because he does have the potential to be a steal.

Sloopy
02-23-2012, 09:52 AM
Most people who've been paying attention have dropped him out of their first round mocks. He just doesn't seem to have the motivation to excel in the NFL, from what I've read. Right now, though, I see someone taking him late 2nd/early 3rd because he does have the potential to be a steal.

Pretty much this. The guy has flashed the ability to be the best LB in this class but unfortunately his senior campaign has him dropping.

Some still have him in the first because he DOES have top 20 talent/ability. If he could get his head on straight he would be a 1st round pick.

Prowler
02-23-2012, 10:27 AM
I'd take Bobby Wagner over him right now. I like Burfict's upside, but I love me some Bobby Wagner. Unless Bobby Wagner is going top 10, then Burfict isn't going first round.

I would say that the root of his madness lies in his terrible work ethic. He was helped through high school and then barely made it into college. He was pretty much born into talent and has been coasting on it his entire life.

FUNBUNCHER
02-23-2012, 10:57 AM
I don't think there's a bigger negative for any prospect to have spoken about them more damning than questions about their 'work ethic'.

Dan_Steele
02-23-2012, 11:53 AM
There are always so many skilled athletes that come into the NFL as immature young men and can't last in the league because they lack the ability to be professional, Burfict has this negative quality, or at least the perception of aforementioned, written all over him. I don't honestly remember any prospect having his character publicly criticized to this magnitude, at least not one this highly-touted.

One of the biggest knocks on him is that he brings this poor attitude onto the field, being flagged for a ridiculous amount of personal foul penalties his junior season. Giving the opposing offense yards they didn't earn is something that boils the blood of every coach in the league and something that will make every decision maker reluctant to take a chance on him.

Kase1
02-23-2012, 11:59 AM

Id LOVE to have him on the Giants. Im sure Pappy Coughlin could keep him in-line on the field

steelersrock151
02-23-2012, 12:11 PM
Id LOVE to have him on the Giants. Im sure Pappy Coughlin could keep him in-line on the field

I'd rather he was on the Giants than on the Ravens, because those are some of the few teams that I think could handle him. I wouldn't be against the Steelers drafting him in the second or third, if they shored up guard and nose tackle first. On the other hand, I'd also love for a team like the Eagles to take him. That would make Jersey Shore look like a Saturday morning show.

Kase1
02-23-2012, 12:13 PM
I'd rather he was on the Giants than on the Ravens, because those are some of the few teams that I think could handle him. I wouldn't be against the Steelers drafting him in the second or third, if they shored up guard and nose tackle first. On the other hand, I'd also love for a team like the Eagles to take him. That would make Jersey Shore look like a Saturday morning show.
Im not a big college football or draft guy (til my teams season is over) but I thought Taze was only an on-field problem, and nothing bad off the field??

Prowler
02-23-2012, 12:17 PM
Pretty clean off the field. I don't remember any arrests or anything like that. However his GPA magically jumped his last couple of years in HS and then he had some academic issues but ended up alright in ASU. He smells like he's been helped and handled. You could also consider him switching from USC to ASU as a 5 star prospect to be another intelligence issue. What happens when you take him out of a controlled environment in the middle of the desert and into big time cities? I don't trust his decision making.

Dan_Steele
02-23-2012, 12:20 PM
Im not a big college football or draft guy (til my teams season is over) but I thought Taze was only an on-field problem, and nothing bad off the field??

Dennis Erickson characterized him as only putting forth "average effort" on the field. When your own coach (albeit former coach) is trashing you like that you know you aren't meeting your potential.

Also rumor was that he left AZ State after this season mainly because he would have been deemed academically ineligible for next year.

Vendetta1
02-23-2012, 12:36 PM
hes gonna be good let him go to baltimore and get mentor'd by the great ray lewis he will be legit .. its all about where he goes!

steelersrock151
02-23-2012, 01:07 PM
I can only go by what I've read on-line. I know for a fact he was benched his last regular season game and the second half of his bowl game. Reports are that he is way out of shape for the combine, but we'll see how those reports shake out in the next few days.
One of the most damning things I've heard (once again, feel like a rumor monger, but these things come into play) is that the major reason that his play fell off this year is that the other middle backer was injured most of the year, and one of his jobs was to position Burflict on every play to make sure he was where he was supposed to be.
As I said earlier, I wouldn't mind him on the Steelers. If their front office and coaches do the research and think its crap, then I trust them. Just heard too much negative stuff on the guy, which as we all know may or may not be true.

Vendetta1
02-23-2012, 08:41 PM
I can only go by what I've read on-line. I know for a fact he was benched his last regular season game and the second half of his bowl game. Reports are that he is way out of shape for the combine, but we'll see how those reports shake out in the next few days.
One of the most damning things I've heard (once again, feel like a rumor monger, but these things come into play) is that the major reason that his play fell off this year is that the other middle backer was injured most of the year, and one of his jobs was to position Burflict on every play to make sure he was where he was supposed to be.
As I said earlier, I wouldn't mind him on the Steelers. If their front office and coaches do the research and think its crap, then I trust them. Just heard too much negative stuff on the guy, which as we all know may or may not be true.

im a steelers fan as well and i would love him to come on to our team but he might be a character and i dont want another holmes!.. ill wait till next year and try to get monte Te'o

dannyz
02-23-2012, 09:12 PM
Like alot of people on here have said, it's about the Team that gets him. I would Love for him to be Drafted by the Lions but that would be a Bad Place to go for him just like the Raiders. I think going to a Team like the Ravens,Steelers,Giants would be Great because he would have the guys there that could Mentor what he is doing and how he is playing. I mean even Vontaze Burfict would not get into an argument with Ray Lewis. I just Hope that if he falls in the Draft something will switch his Brain on and tell him that he is a Top 15 Talent and better star playing like one.

Complex
02-23-2012, 09:35 PM
Pretty clean off the field. I don't remember any arrests or anything like that. However his GPA magically jumped his last couple of years in HS and then he had some academic issues but ended up alright in ASU. He smells like he's been helped and handled. You could also consider him switching from USC to ASU as a 5 star prospect to be another intelligence issue. What happens when you take him out of a controlled environment in the middle of the desert and into big time cities? I don't trust his decision making.

Really?(10char)

Prowler
02-23-2012, 09:36 PM
lol, I was trolling a bit on that one.

Vendetta1
02-23-2012, 10:24 PM
Like alot of people on here have said, it's about the Team that gets him. I would Love for him to be Drafted by the Lions but that would be a Bad Place to go for him just like the Raiders. I think going to a Team like the Ravens,Steelers,Giants would be Great because he would have the guys there that could Mentor what he is doing and how he is playing. I mean even Vontaze Burfict would not get into an argument with Ray Lewis. I just Hope that if he falls in the Draft something will switch his Brain on and tell him that he is a Top 15 Talent and better star playing like one.
talent wise hes the 2nd best linebacker behind hightower

JoeJoeBrown
02-23-2012, 10:40 PM
I think the guy is vastly overrated by people.

He's mentally lazy. He's sloppy. He makes a ton of mistakes. He takes himself out of plays and he takes plays off.

The only thing he'd be good at in the NFL is a very simplistic LB scheme with a coach that is going to light a fire under his ass.

Sloopy
02-23-2012, 10:45 PM
I think the guy is vastly overrated by people.

He's mentally lazy. He's sloppy. He makes a ton of mistakes. He takes himself out of plays and he takes plays off.

The only thing he'd be good at in the NFL is a very simplistic LB scheme with a coach that is going to light a fire under his ass.

I actually think it might be the opposite; he needs a team with strong on field leadership and a coach who won't try to be too much of a disciplinarian.

brat316
02-23-2012, 10:52 PM

Ehh, he does not rank up there with Lewis, Arrington, Urlacher, Willis, Timmons(homer), Von Miller, Cushing. Even prospect wise he doesn't compare to Curry, McClain, Rivers, A.J Hawk.

So I don't see how you can say "he's one of the best inside backers I've seen in a long time." Maybe the most reckless. All those guys were actually great as prospects.

SenorGato
02-24-2012, 12:04 AM
He's like a really watered down version of Arrington. Even his freelancing would be tolerable if he wasn't a complete and total idiot, which Arrington wasn't for the most part.

It's fine to freelance if you know wtf you're doing and can communicate it to the rest of the team somehow if necessary. He needs to prove he's capable of doing that stuff...

ChiFan24
02-24-2012, 12:50 AM
Nothing special. I've been saying Kuechly >>>> Burfict all along. I think teams will remove him from their draft boards entirely.

GaMeTiMe
02-24-2012, 01:00 AM
Whether everyone wants to admit it yet or not, he's a 3rd rounder with upside right now. I don't see a smart team burning a 1st or 2nd rounder on him. He's not going to come in and solve anyone's problems at ILB immediately, he's a special teamer at least initially. The coaches will need to determine what kind of a person they're working with and if he has it in him to even bother trying.

I'm not saying he doesn't have the raw talent and potential, but he's going to be forced to work by his NFL team to prove he can actually play in the league. Everyone seems to be assuming he's a solid 2nd rounder at the worst right now to a team with a need at ILB, as if he's going to just step-in as the unquestioned starter in week 1. That would probably be the worst thing for his chances in the league.

I think all of this pretty much adds up to a 3rd-4th rounder when it's all said and done. Everyone will want it to be their team's 'low-risk, high-reward' pick, but it'll be up to him whether he wants to work hard enough at playing professional linebacker or just try look as explosive and reckless as possible.

Rabscuttle
02-24-2012, 08:47 AM
I would be surprised if several teams haven't removed him from their boards completely by the end of his interviews. He has a lot of work to put in before he can be trusted to carry out his assignments on the field and may even lack the discipline to help on special teams at this point in time. He really needs a mentor of some type that can help him find his focus.

I'd like him to get things together because he can be so much fun to watch.

Crazy_Chris
02-26-2012, 08:17 PM
"I thought I played average (last year). I could have played better," he said. "Coaches kind of messed me up. I didn't know if I was going to start a game, I didn’t know if I was going to be benched, so it hurt me at point in times, but I tried to fight through it."

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/inq-eagles/Burfict-just-hate-to-lose.html

Do not like that he went on record putting some of the blame on his coaches.

PossibleCabbage
02-26-2012, 08:26 PM
This is probably one of the hardest evaluations in the entire draft. I have no idea whether he's a first round pick based on his 2010 tape, or if I want to leave him off my draft board entirely. It's probably closer to one of the two extremes than to the middle.

Jetsfan726
02-26-2012, 08:44 PM
As a Jets fan, I want him in the second round. He would look real nice next to Harris in our 3-4, and Bart Scott is on the way out either this year or next. I don't mind a crazy linebacker...Especially one with as much talent as Burfict. Arizona State was mostly garbage when he was there, and I don't think he is much of a student, so having the incentive of making money and playing for a potential contender is probably a nice option for him...

asdf1223
02-27-2012, 02:55 AM
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/inq-eagles/Burfict-just-hate-to-lose.html

Do not like that he went on record putting some of the blame on his coaches.

Eh, Jonathan Baldwin did the same thing last year and went to a team that is one of the most careful about character. ASU was a mess this year.

Sloopy
02-27-2012, 04:58 AM
Eh, Jonathan Baldwin did the same thing last year and went to a team that is one of the most careful about character. ASU was a mess this year.

This. His coach called him out in the media too IIRC