PDA

View Full Version : Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford

JohnCandy
02-23-2012, 08:35 AM
Jonathan Martin started the season ranked as the #2 OT and a top 10 player in the draft.

Recently he has started to slip on most boards and in the rankings and I am wondering why people are not as high on him?

What is the scouting report on him?

Who would you compare him to?

Where do you see him drafted?

http://ebonybird.com/files/2012/01/59346903.jpg

duesouth
02-23-2012, 08:42 AM
It seems to me that his recent fall down boards is because some think Nick Perry handed it to him in the USC game and they've only just looked at the tape. I watched that game and he was beaten twice outside and also a third time, but only after he held the block for a good time. Otherwise he won everything. So, I still like him as a top 10 pick pending the arm length and athletic numbers at the Combine.

vidae
02-23-2012, 09:59 AM
I'm not a fan of his and I never have been. I can't quite put my finger on it, but when I see him I keep seeing "soft".. I don't think he really excels at any one thing and I don't see him having the upside of say, Mike Adams or Riley Reiff.

A Perfect Score
02-23-2012, 10:00 AM
I'm not a fan of his and I never have been. I can't quite put my finger on it, but when I see him I keep seeing "soft".. I don't think he really excels at any one thing and I don't see him having the upside of say, Mike Adams or Riley Reiff.

He's definitely soft. No tenacity in the run game. Nice feet and overall athleticism, but I want to see some fire on an offensive lineman before I draft him. Martin doesn't have that. I think he's a 32-40 type guy, but he could go higher a la Sherrod last year.

vidae
02-23-2012, 10:11 AM
I think he's a first rounder who could be a solid pass blocking LT, but I don't get the top 10 talk at all.

JohnCandy
02-23-2012, 10:30 AM
Mike Adams or Jonathan Martin?

I am getting the feel that Adams is higher rated by most of you because of the physical upside.

vidae
02-23-2012, 10:34 AM
Adams for me 10 times out of 10. He has a ton of upside and can play both tackle spots. I kinda feel like Martin would only really be successful at LT.

A Perfect Score
02-23-2012, 10:41 AM
Adams was also more impressive on tape this season. He came back with a vengeance.

keylime_5
02-23-2012, 11:03 AM
I'd like Martin better in a zone blocking scheme. Doesn't have the nastiness or the size you look for in elite tackles, but he'll probably have success in the NFL. If you need a left tackle and he's the best one available you have to take him, I don't think he'll have problems protecting the QB.

steelersrock151
02-23-2012, 12:01 PM
Keep seeing him mocked to the Chiefs because their right tackle is so bad. You don't draft a right tackle in the first round, especially in the top 12. You pick right tackles in the third or fourth round.

DeepThreat
02-23-2012, 12:08 PM
Keep seeing him mocked to the Chiefs because their right tackle is so bad. You don't draft a right tackle in the first round, especially in the top 12. You pick right tackles in the third or fourth round.

Good luck with that...

I don't see Martin as a first-round pick. He's a finesse player who lacks the footwork to play that way. Too slow to play LT, too weak to play RT. I think he's a guard.

AntoinCD
02-23-2012, 12:24 PM

The game's changed. Your RT now will often have to block the Demarcus Ware's and Lamar Woodley's and Terrell Suggs in the NFL. You can't get by without having a good pass blocker at RT, and pass blockers tend to go earlier in the draft.

zachsaints52
02-23-2012, 12:35 PM
Adams for me 10 times out of 10. He has a ton of upside and can play both tackle spots. I kinda feel like Martin would only really be successful at LT.

Why would only being a LT be a bad thing, especially since is the more prominant of the two?

Abaddon
02-23-2012, 05:12 PM

The '90s called. They want their draft strategy back.

A Perfect Score
02-23-2012, 05:17 PM
The game's changed. Your RT now will often have to block the Demarcus Ware's and Lamar Woodley's and Terrell Suggs in the NFL. You can't get by without having a good pass blocker at RT, and pass blockers tend to go earlier in the draft.

Dammit, I said this a month ago in a thread and was mocked. But this is spot on, anyways.

TACKLE
02-23-2012, 05:22 PM
Dammit, I said this a month ago in a thread and was mocked. But this is spot on, anyways.

o_O

that's has been a fairly common notion around here for years...

vidae
02-23-2012, 05:25 PM
You ABSOLUTELY draft a RT in the top half of the first round when your current RT was statistically the worst OT in the entire NFL last year. This is a position that MUST be upgraded.

Iamcanadian
02-23-2012, 05:30 PM
Martin has all the athletic tools to play LT in the NFL and that is going to get him drafted pretty high. However, he definitely needs to show more toughness and grit to be a star. He'll go anywhere from around #8-15 to a team desperate to fill their LT position.