PDA

View Full Version : That #2 Pick

Jimmy
02-24-2012, 04:14 PM
The number 2 pick is the talk of the town these days...

One thing that will not happen for sure: Griffin to the Rams. Bradford is staying put.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/nfl-draft-jeff-fisher-likes-st-louis-rams-options/2012/02/24/gIQACpGwXR_blog.html
The Rams have their franchise quarterback in Sam Bradford, the first overall pick in 2010. Bradford was selected by the previous regime, but Fisher made it clear that he has no intentions of trading Bradford and starting over with another quarterback.

“That would not be an option,” Fisher said.

So. What's it going to be?

Will the rams trade the pick? Will they select Ryan Kalil's brother? Would they dare take Justin Blackmon?

If they trade it, who do they trade it to, and who does that team select?

RaiderNation
02-24-2012, 04:21 PM
I think Kalil will end up being the pick at 2, and the Vikings will likely trade with the Redkins to get RG3. If the Browns want RG3 they will have to trade up with the Rams, maybe giving up a future pick to secure him.

gpngc
02-24-2012, 04:23 PM
The Rams will be picking 4th or 6th or 8th on draft day.

They'll balance the best offer with however far they are willing to move down to still get an elite player on their board - whether that player is Richardson, Blackmon, Reiff, or Claiborne. They'll get one of those guys and add either pick #22, a future first, or a bunch of picks.

They are in fantastic shape and it's anyone's guess as to which package they choose/is best/which player they prefer of the one's that will be there at 4,6, or 8.

There's also a slight possibility that they love Kalil too much to miss out on him. And an even more complicated scenario that would come about if MIN blackballs them to get a little something, CLE picks 2nd, STL actually trades back up to 3 (MIN threatens to take Kalil but concedes him if STL is willing to part with a pick or two), and MIN takes whoever at 4. In essence, a 3-team deal with Minny playing hardball. Unlikely, but possible if they want to be dicks.

So,

I'd guess:

50% chance they trade down to 4 with CLE.
20% chance they trade down to 6 with WAS.
10% chance they trade down to 8 with MIA.
5% chance they stay put and take Kalil.
5% chance someone else moves up for RG3 (ARZ, SEA, DAL, NYJ, KC)
5% chance they stay put and take someone other than Kalil.
5% OTHER

marshallb
02-24-2012, 04:25 PM
Will they select Ryan Kalil?

Since when can teams draft players already in the NFL? The Kalil you're looking for is Matt.

Anyways, I think the Rams would be stupid not to trade the pick as long as they get a good offer and I don't see how they wouldn't.

A Perfect Score
02-24-2012, 04:38 PM
I am not ashamed to say I voted for Matt Damon.

keylime_5
02-24-2012, 04:45 PM
I will have to see where Flynn and Manning end up before I can say with any kind of certainty. if Manning goes to Washington and Flynn goes to Miami or Cleveland then I don't think Griffin necessarily goes #2 overall. He might go #4 in that case. In any case, I must admit Matt Damon is very likely a possibility.

vidae
02-24-2012, 04:55 PM
The Chiefs will be trading up with the Rams to secure Robert Griffin III.

yodabear
02-24-2012, 05:01 PM
As the Rams dude on here, or at least one of them. My hope is trade #2 for #4 and #22 and some late round pick. BAM! If not, we **** them over and trade Washington who sends us #6 and a farm.....

holt_bruce81
02-24-2012, 05:02 PM
As the Rams dude on here, or at least one of them. My hope is trade #2 for #4 and #22 and some late round pick. BAM! If not, we **** them over and trade Washington who sends us #6 and a farm.....

I am hoping for the same thing.

TheMatriculator
02-24-2012, 05:18 PM
The Chiefs will be trading up with the Rams to secure Robert Griffin III.

You're off your meds aren't you?

keylime_5
02-24-2012, 05:32 PM

If the Redskins want Griffin badly, they'll probably have to offer #6, #39, and a 2013 first (or something equal to all of that) since the Browns have #4 and #22 and #37 as ammo.....which means the Browns would have to counter with #4, #22, and #37 (or something equal to that, like a couple mid rounders instead of #37).

I fully expect there to be a big bidding war between Washington and Cleveland if neither has acquired a QB before the draft. It could drive the price way up. Washington would make offers and Cleveland would have the luxury of being able to match them since their picks are more valuable.

vidae
02-24-2012, 05:49 PM
You're off your meds aren't you?

Absolutely my good man.

Giantsfan1080
02-24-2012, 06:07 PM
I am not ashamed to say I voted for Matt Damon.

I did also. No reason to be ashamed.

OSUGiants17
02-24-2012, 06:16 PM
ZWTzyU5MFgM

Larry
02-24-2012, 07:28 PM
Skins because I think the Browns will land Flynn.

The_Dude
02-24-2012, 08:50 PM
I voted for trade to cleveland.

As a Vikings fan, i feel somewhat conflicted about this. I want the Vikes to draft Kalil, but i also want them to be the ones to trade down to be able to fill some of the holes that we have.

zachsaints52
02-24-2012, 09:25 PM
Depends on if Cleveland will give up their 2nd first in this draft.

Orakpowned
02-24-2012, 09:45 PM
Skins because I think the Browns will land Flynn.

You're a smart man.

ArkyRamsFan
02-26-2012, 12:38 AM
Man, sure are a lot of scenarios for the Rams' 2nd pick.

Still, a lot of things could change between now and April but keep in mind that when Fish took the job one of the first things out of his mouth was that protecting the QB was going to be a priority.

From what I can gather from Kalil's performance at the Combine it is quite possible that the Rams will stay put and take him with their pick.

While I favor the Rams trading down I would not cry a river if we just take a guy like Kalil and be happy.

Don't forget the GSOT years actually began with Orlando Pace even before Warner and Faulk came on board...

Just sayin'

holt_bruce81
02-26-2012, 01:03 AM
Man, sure are a lot of scenarios for the Rams' 2nd pick.

Still, a lot of things could change between now and April but keep in mind that when Fish took the job one of the first things out of his mouth was that protecting the QB was going to be a priority.

From what I can gather from Kalil's performance at the Combine it is quite possible that the Rams will stay put and take him with their pick.

While I favor the Rams trading down I would not cry a river if we just take a guy like Kalil and be happy.

Don't forget the GSOT years actually began with Orlando Pace even before Warner and Faulk came on board...

Just sayin'

I hope not. The Rams have so many needs and LT really isn't one of them. Like I've said before, Rodger Saffold is a good LT that has the potential to be great. He struggles with the Bull rush because he hasn't been coached properly, his hand placement is garbage right now.

San Diego Chicken
02-26-2012, 01:47 AM
Are the Rams going to bring back Brandon Lloyd? I think that's a better idea than taking Blackmon in the top ten in the event of a trade out. If they swap with WAS I would consider trading out of that #6 spot again or even taking Richardson there over Blackmon. I like Blackmon but best case he's Greg Jennings. I think they get better value with their next pick if they want a WR.

FUNBUNCHER
02-26-2012, 01:55 AM
When in doubt, go with the franchise whose owner loves to play FF.

http://www.nflgridirongab.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/snyder.jpg

Seriously I think the Rams want Kalil more than any of the elite prospects in this draft and I can see a scenario where they stand pat and let the Vikes deal for the 3rd pick.

If the Rams trade out of the 2nd pick I don't see how they get Kalil without trading back up to the 3rd slot.

If Bruce Allen and Shanny tell Danny boy they really want RGIII, be prepared to see some wild sheet go down before the draft, like three 1s for Grif.

holt_bruce81
02-26-2012, 01:59 AM
Are the Rams going to bring back Brandon Lloyd? I think that's a better idea than taking Blackmon in the top ten in the event of a trade out. If they swap with WAS I would consider trading out of that #6 spot again or even taking Richardson there over Blackmon. I like Blackmon but best case he's Greg Jennings. I think they get better value with their next pick if they want a WR.

I say it's a 45% chance he stays. He has stated that he wants to stay, just not sure the Rams have the cash for it.

Halsey
02-26-2012, 02:10 AM
I'd really, really want Matt Kalil if I was running the Panthers.

ChiFan24
02-26-2012, 04:45 AM
Wait....which #2 pick?

gpngc
02-26-2012, 10:41 AM
Citing league sources, Mike Freeman of CBSSports.com reports "at least" three teams, including the Redskins, Dolphins, and Seahawks, are "strongly considering" a blockbuster trade with the Rams to draft Robert Griffin III at No. 2 overall.
Team sources also tell Freeman that the Browns have interest in trading up, "though not as much as the other teams." While the Dolphins are interested "despite their Matt Flynn infatuation," the Redskins "remain the front-runners." Team officials label the Seahawks the "sleeper team" hindered by the prohibitive cost of trading up from twelfth to second. The three teams reportedly view RGIII as a "close facsimile" to Andrew Luck in terms of NFL potential.
Source: CBSSports.com
Feb 26 - 5:00 AM

H.O.O.D
02-27-2012, 09:02 AM
For what it's worth :

According to John Czarnecki of FOX Sports, the Rams have been getting "weird, uninterested signals" from the Browns on the possibility of trading up two spots to draft Baylor's Robert Griffin III.
In an indictment of the Browns coaching staff, Czarnecki says they remain "confused on what to do with RGIII." Griffin is coming off a dominant Combine, exceeding height expectations, exploding with Vick-like speed, and putting on the most impressive news conference display ESPN's John Clayton has seen in 24 years in Indy. While there's little doubt that Griffin will go off the board at No. 2 overall, we've now seen several reports in two days suggesting the Browns won't be nearly as aggressive as the Redskins. We've also seen at least a handful of national reports warning not to rule out a "mystery" team in the RGIII sweepstakes.

PoopSandwich
02-27-2012, 10:59 AM
Browns will just continue to be pussies in the way they run their organization and not take a chance on one of the most athletic qbs to ever come out. We'll end up with Blackmon who will suck dick and Colt McCoy, watch.

H.O.O.D
02-27-2012, 11:23 AM
Browns will just continue to be pussies in the way they run their organization and not take a chance on one of the most athletic qbs to ever come out. We'll end up with Blackmon who will suck dick and Colt McCoy, watch.

Or that could be a smokescreen at this point. Hoping to make teams think they can get RG3 at 3 or even thru Cleveland at 4, so that the Rams demands go down or stay within reason for Cleveland to pull the trigger on.

fear the elf
02-27-2012, 11:24 AM
I'm not sure what "weird, uninterested signals" means. There's still two months to the draft, are they supposed to be making offers already? The combine isn't even over yet.

killxswitch
02-27-2012, 11:50 AM
The idea of such a dynamic QB like RG3 playing in Cleveland makes me sad. I hope he goes to the Skins.

gpngc
02-27-2012, 11:55 AM
I'm not sure what "weird, uninterested signals" means. There's still two months to the draft, are they supposed to be making offers already? The combine isn't even over yet.

I thought the same thing.

However, the Redskins are clearly going in hard and it just seems doubtful that the Browns are willing to give up as much as the crazy mofos in DC. But you are right, it's early.

The Browns could take Richardson at #4 and then trade up from #22 to maybe #11 for Tannehill (assuming Miami finds a QB in FA).

If they don't move up to 2, don't get Manning/Flynn, don't trade back up for Tanny (or take him at #4), they might be looking at Kyle Orton/Jason Campbell. But in that scenario, I think the most likely scenario would be TRich at 4 and WEEDEN at 22/2nd round. I expect that to be unpopular but I could see it happening.

jrdrylie
02-27-2012, 04:38 PM
Reports on Twitter from ESPN and Schefter are saying the Rams are definitely trading the pick (a deal may already have been struck). No word yet on what the compensation will be or to whom the pick will go to.

keylime_5
02-27-2012, 04:51 PM
An interesting topic is would you rather have Matt Flynn plus the #4/#22/#37 (Justin Blackmon, Mike Adams, David Wilson for example) and #68 overall......or just one player - Griffin? Pretty good reason for the Browns to not trade all that if they can sign Flynn and keep the others. Lower upside at QB, but the other players you can get by just signing Flynn makes it more worthwhile.

Bengalsrocket
02-27-2012, 05:10 PM
An interesting topic is would you rather have Matt Flynn plus the #4/#22/#37 (Justin Blackmon, Mike Adams, David Wilson for example) and #68 overall......or just one player - Griffin? Pretty good reason for the Browns to not trade all that if they can sign Flynn and keep the others. Lower upside at QB, but the other players you can get by just signing Flynn makes it more worthwhile.

very good point. If I was a team like the Redskins, I don't have that much "star" potential involved in what I'm giving up for a prospect as good as Griffin - so I'd throw the house at St. Louis and see if I can't come away with a top notch player like Griffin.

However, if I'm the Browns and I can immediately start using these premium picks to build for NOW instead of the future, then I would seriously consider Flynn being the better option than trading up for RG3. The AFC North is not nearly as strong as it's fans will lead you to believe (The Bengals beat up crappy teams last year, the Steelers are seriously showing their age and the Ravens seem extremely incosistent - even if they're really good when they're good). Now is the team to start fighting if they can.

RaiderNation
02-27-2012, 05:23 PM
The #2 pick will go to either the Browns or Redskins, Dolphins/Seahawks will be darkhorses who could sneak in late if a deal isn't reached soon. I think Shanahan will be able to get a deal done, and the Rams should be fine moving back to 6 since I think they still get Blackmon/Claiborne/Reiff no matter what. Also could Fisher maybe even be tempted to draft Poe at 6 to be the next Haynesworth in his defense??

holt_bruce81
02-27-2012, 05:44 PM
The #2 pick will go to either the Browns or Redskins, Dolphins/Seahawks will be darkhorses who could sneak in late if a deal isn't reached soon. I think Shanahan will be able to get a deal done, and the Rams should be fine moving back to 6 since I think they still get Blackmon/Claiborne/Reiff no matter what. Also could Fisher maybe even be tempted to draft Poe at 6 to be the next Haynesworth in his defense??

Seahawks aren't trading up for #2, no way do the rams trade it to a division rival.

mightytitan9
02-27-2012, 05:46 PM
Fisher gets his franchise LT to keep Bradford upright.

In Tennessee, Fisher always had a Top Franchise LT in Hopkins and Roos. He'll want that consistency in the Lou

keylime_5
02-27-2012, 05:55 PM
I think Saffold can be that guy in St.Louis.....if not then the Rams could get Reiff in a trade down, or Adams possibly if they acquire the #22 pick from the Browns and then the OTs drop like I think they will - or they could pretty much maneuver a trade up/down once they have the ransom from the Griffin trade. It won't be a Kalil though. I think Luck/Griffin/Kalil are locked in as the top three picks.

ArkyRamsFan
02-27-2012, 06:39 PM
Seahawks aren't trading up for #2, no way do the rams trade it to a division rival.

^^^This^^^ There is no way in Hades that the Rams are going to trade Griff to a hated rival like the SeaHags and then have to chase his 4.41 all over the field for 4 quarters.

NTM to then have the dubious privilege of having to do it 2x a year for like the next 10 years or so.

Ain't happenin'

holt_bruce81
02-27-2012, 06:52 PM
I think Saffold can be that guy in St.Louis.....if not then the Rams could get Reiff in a trade down, or Adams possibly if they acquire the #22 pick from the Browns and then the OTs drop like I think they will - or they could pretty much maneuver a trade up/down once they have the ransom from the Griffin trade. It won't be a Kalil though. I think Luck/Griffin/Kalil are locked in as the top three picks.

Oh my god someone that agrees with me. High Five! Rep points for you.

EDIT: ah ****.....

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to keylime_5 again.

Orakpowned
02-27-2012, 07:20 PM
RG3 is going to look good in that B&G.

:)

holt_bruce81
02-28-2012, 12:30 AM
Today I was listening to a radio show in St. Louis and they mentioned the 1998. I think that was the last time where you KNEW the first two selections were going to be Quarterbacks.

In that draft San Diego gave up the #3 selection, next years 1st round pick, A 2nd rounder (#33 overall), WR Eric Metclaf (who was just coming off an all-pro season, pro bowl selection and had over 1,100 receiving yards not but two seasons prior) and LB Patrick Sapp

And that was just to move up one spot.

PoopSandwich
02-28-2012, 01:17 AM
The idea of such a dynamic QB like RG3 playing in Cleveland makes me sad. I hope he goes to the Skins.

Yeah because the Redskins have had so many successful QB's and teams in the past 15 years.

Brent
02-28-2012, 05:42 AM
Yeah because the Redskins have had so many successful QB's and teams in the past 15 years.
Lest you forget the 2002 Redskins squad!

yodabear
02-28-2012, 12:27 PM
I very much doubt it will be any1 outside the top 10 like the Seahawks. I think we want a year or two more of facing Tavaris Jackson. So yeah, Cleveland is defntly who we want to trade with since they got the two #1s in this draft. Then its Washington. And I think Miami is a long shot but I think thats where Flynn will end up. And Manning will prolly be going to Arizona.

gpngc
02-28-2012, 12:29 PM
Is Orakpo's contract moveable?

A Perfect Score
02-28-2012, 12:46 PM
Is Orakpo's contract moveable?

The real question is why would they move him?

gpngc
02-28-2012, 12:47 PM
The real question is why would they move him?

Because the Redskins want RG3 badly enough to allow the Rams play hardball and force their hand?

If they have to negotiate against another team or two, an established veteran could make the difference.

And adding a 2nd, 3rd, and 2013 1st is nice, but it may not do much to improve the roster for next season.

holt_bruce81
02-28-2012, 01:16 PM
Brian Orakpo? where does he fit? He's a 34 outside linebacker and the Rams run a 43. Even if he played Defensive End it's not like that's a huge need with Quinn and Long there.

H.O.O.D
02-28-2012, 01:25 PM
Brian Orakpo? where does he fit? He's a 34 outside linebacker and the Rams run a 43. Even if he played Defensive End it's not like that's a huge need with Quinn and Long there.

2 options.

1-Use him like the Skins did as a rookie. SLB on running downs, and rush end on passing downs which means Long slides inside on most passing downs.

2-Rotate your ends and keep fresh legs on the field. The Giants have had success with multiple pass rushing ends (Strahan, Osi & Tuck and now JPP, Osi and Tuck).

I doubt they would be willing to part with Orakpo however.

keylime_5
02-28-2012, 02:44 PM
Bear Heiser (?) reports that per a league source this is what was offered in preliminary talks:

Browns:

#4, #37, 5th rounder, and 2013 2nd
(would include #22 also if they had to)

Redskins:

#6, #39, 2013 2nd & 3rd

http://www.nationalfootballauthority.com/2012/02/per-league-source-st-louis-rams-have.html

Obviously the Browns offer is better so far, but what the Rams are gonna get is gonna be waaaaay more than either of those offers.

i heard this guy is legit.....and we know that the pick will cost way more than that - but I thought it was interesting to hear what the early, preliminary offers are so far.

Oh yeah, and one of the "mystery teams" is apparently the Jets. Haha, Sanchez.

keylime_5
02-28-2012, 02:48 PM
.....If I were the Rams, I'd be licking my chops right now knowing that at the very least, I could be getting #4, #22, #37, a 2013 2nd, and a 2012 5th rounder for the #2 pick. That would surpass the value of the Eli Manning trade...though there was no bidding war for Eli like there might be for RG3.

If the Browns offer #4, #22, #37, a 5th, and a 2012 2nd, I must say it would be nearly impossible for Washington to top that. I would also be pretty mad if we gave up all that for one player instead of keeping the picks and signing Flynn.

Iamcanadian
02-28-2012, 03:20 PM
.....If I were the Rams, I'd be licking my chops right now knowing that at the very least, I could be getting #4, #22, #37, a 2013 2nd, and a 2012 5th rounder for the #2 pick. That would surpass the value of the Eli Manning trade...though there was no bidding war for Eli like there might be for RG3.

If the Browns offer #4, #22, #37, a 5th, and a 2012 2nd, I must say it would be nearly impossible for Washington to top that. I would also be pretty mad if we gave up all that for one player instead of keeping the picks and signing Flynn.

It really comes down to how your scouts and GM feel about both players. If they really expect that Flynn has true franchise ability, then I agree but if they have reservation about Flynn's upside and ceiling then the cost for RG111 is well worth it.

I really think the cost for RG111 will equate to what San Diego got for Eli, that will be the price the Brown's will have to pay.

fear the elf
02-28-2012, 03:34 PM
If the Browns offer #4, #22, #37, a 5th, and a 2012 2nd . . . I would also be pretty mad if we gave up all that for one player instead of keeping the picks and signing Flynn.

Boom. This. x94183908578430540253257430

I'd flip-the-****-out.

keylime_5
02-28-2012, 03:34 PM
Yeah, I trust the people the Browns have in their organization when it comes to evaluating QBs (Holmgren, Heckert, Shurmur, Childress, Whipple, Haskell)...say what you want about the Browns but they went overkill on people who know about QBs. I would be shocked if they weren't all bananas over Griffin, I'm not sure on Flynn. I expect they don't want to overpay for him, but they will explore the possibility of bringing him in and keeping the picks. I figure he's probably at least another Schaub or Hasselbeck type - a guy good enough to get you where you want to go if the rest of your team is championship caliber.

armageddon
02-28-2012, 04:47 PM
The Rams will get this deal done before FA starts if they are smart. If the Browns offer both 1sts and a 2nd this year, it should be enough unless Schneider goes crazy. Schneider would have to offer 2012 1st,2nd,3rd,4th and 2013 1st to beat the Browns offer.

yodabear
02-28-2012, 05:05 PM
#2 for #4, #22, #37 (prolly could be the 3rd rounder instead in my eyes in compromising), and a 5th Rounder....That trade bing bang zow.

zachsaints52
02-28-2012, 05:09 PM
#2 for #4, #22, #37 (prolly could be the 3rd rounder instead in my eyes in compromising), and a 5th Rounder....That trade bing bang zow.

Just a 1st is amazing to move down two spots, and still land the best guy at either position the Vikes dont take.

keylime_5
02-28-2012, 05:37 PM
yeah. that trade could wind up being Robert Griffin III for, say, Justin Blackmon + Devon Still or Mike Adams + Janoris Jenkins and more (or something similar). Eli was traded for Philip Rivers, Shawne Merriman, Nate Kaeding, and someone else idr.

The thing is, if I had Blackmon, Still/Adams, Jenkins, etc.....then I would trade those guys for Griffin in a heartbeat if Griffin turns out to be a great QB.

yodabear
02-28-2012, 06:48 PM
Just a 1st is amazing to move down two spots, and still land the best guy at either position the Vikes dont take.

Oh for sure I'd love the trade even if it was just #2 for #4 and #22. That would be great in my eyes. But trade chart, draft inks all around, say that we should get another pick or 2. Cuz yeah I'd love to go with Claiborne and a WR or a T at #22.

PoopSandwich
02-28-2012, 06:52 PM
#4 #37 a fifth and a 2nd next year I would be insanely happy, would still have the chance of landing Mike Adams or Kendall Wright.

PoopSandwich
02-28-2012, 07:02 PM
I know this is a double post, but what are Redskins fans saying about giving up the farm to get RGIII, are they against it or what?

zachsaints52
02-28-2012, 07:10 PM
I know this is a double post, but what are Redskins fans saying about giving up the farm to get RGIII, are they against it or what?

My Reskins fans would love to package picks, but they also believe they could entice Manning there with their FA money that they could give to Peyton and Reggie Wayne + have a solid defense.

LonghornsLegend
02-29-2012, 08:05 PM
Reports on Twitter from ESPN and Schefter are saying the Rams are definitely trading the pick (a deal may already have been struck). No word yet on what the compensation will be or to whom the pick will go to.

Sorry but I'm not buying this. What good would that do the Rams to make this deal that far in advance? Or either side for that matter. I am sure it's been discussed, but you get a feel for the offers on the table, then go to the other teams involve and see if they will top it. For all the Rams know, a team could come into the picture last minute and budge off of a pick they initially wouldn't include, so I doubt they would be doing anything other then getting a feel for the interest.

Bengalsrocket
02-29-2012, 08:12 PM
Sorry but I'm not buying this. What good would that do the Rams to make this deal that far in advance? Or either side for that matter. I am sure it's been discussed, but you get a feel for the offers on the table, then go to the other teams involve and see if they will top it. For all the Rams know, a team could come into the picture last minute and budge off of a pick they initially wouldn't include, so I doubt they would be doing anything other then getting a feel for the interest.

The benefit in selling the pick now is that teams don't get a chance to fight for Manning or Flynn.

Believe it or not, but once Manning and Flynn become available, the #2 pick is worth a lot less.

armageddon
02-29-2012, 10:54 PM
From STLToday

Just heard on 101 ESPN "Freddie Coleman Show", one of the credited guys in Cleveland stated that the Browns will not stay will Colt McCoy despite what is rumored. The gentleman (sorry I dont remember his name) stated that Andy Reid could eventually be chased out of town while our good friend Shurmer could easily be fired if they keep rolling the dice with McCoy.

He stated that Cleveland is believed to give up both the # 4 and #22 first round picks along with the #36 overall pick (4th pick in second round). This is only if they want to move up to the Rams spot. He also said that they could be interested in Flynn, Orton, or other QBs but that a move has got to be made. He personally stated that he thinks the Browns need a new face to the franchise and that RGIII would be a perfect fit on and off the field. Lastly, he said that the Cleveland fans would be most upset if they didnt address the QB need and put a competitive product on the field. He then felt that a majority of the fans would be upset if RGIII was not a Brown come April.

I know there are tons of threads on this stuff right now, but hearing from a Cleveland guy was credible/Important IMO.

Read more: http://interact.stltoday.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=867943#ixzz1nq0DklmX

keylime_5
03-01-2012, 12:48 AM
Yeah, I've long said it's either Flynn, Griffin, or bust for the Browns. Everyone knows that Colt McCoy isn't going to be the starter next season. I guess we can't rule out Tannehill if Flynn is too pricey and if the Redskins go Ditka on us...but Colt is a backup from now on.

RaiderNation
03-01-2012, 02:59 AM
Andy Reid with RG3 and McCoy would be great to watch in his offense, I could really see that happening if the Eagles end up losing Desean Jackson

FUNBUNCHER
03-01-2012, 07:18 AM
Question: how badly do the Browns want Grif?? I know the Skins really, REALLY want the kid.

Do the Brown feel like the immediate future of their franchise hinges on signing a player like RGIII?

Because now I'm hearing the Browns could EASILY trump any deal put forth by the Skins by giving the Rams their #4 and #22 this year AND their #1 in 2013.

THe SKins can offer multiple draft picks, but they can't match the Browns in terms of quality of those selections.

Potentially three top 25 picks over the next two years for RGIII, man that's a hard deal to beat even if the Skins include players like Orakpo, Trent Williams or Laron Landry in a trade.

Not a happy Skins fan!:(

fear the elf
03-01-2012, 07:54 AM
Because now I'm hearing the Browns could EASILY trump any deal put forth by the Skins by giving the Rams their #4 and #22 this year AND their #1 in 2013.

Whoa, where did you hear that they were considering this?!

I just don't get it... RGIII is great, sure, but what's the point of drafting a guy if you can't put any talent around him for the first two years of his career?

I guess we could run some sweet Cyclone/Wildcat packages with Cribbs, Wallace, and RGIII though, so it'd be worth it!!!!

/sarcasm

FUNBUNCHER
03-01-2012, 08:17 AM
Whoa, where did you hear that they were considering this?!

I just don't get it... RGIII is great, sure, but what's the point of drafting a guy if you can't put any talent around him for the first two years of his career?

I guess we could run some sweet Cyclone/Wildcat packages with Cribbs, Wallace, and RGIII though, so it'd be worth it!!!!

/sarcasm

Not saying the Browns are considering it, just that if the price goes up to three #1s before FA, the Browns have the better deal to offer.
Three #1s IMO is probably the last stop for Dan Snyder's crazy train, and if the Browns matched I think Washington would be out.

This was Casserly's rumor BTW on a local radio station in the D.C. Metro area.
He's speculating about how high the price could go, that's why I was wondering what the temp was for Browns fans in considering RGIII??

fear the elf
03-01-2012, 08:21 AM
Not saying the Browns are considering it, just that if the price goes up to three #1s before FA, the Browns have the better deal to offer.
Three #1s IMO is probably the last stop for Dan Snyder's crazy train, and if the Browns matched I think Washington would be out.

This was Casserly's rumor BTW on a local radio station in the D.C. Metro area.
He's speculating about how high the price could go, that's why I was wondering what the temp was for Browns fans in considering RGIII??

I see. I'd say I'm a little cooler on RGIII than most Browns fans. People bring up the fact that they'd easily trade all these picks for an established franchise guy like Eli, but there's no guarantee that RGIII becomes that good. Especially if your not going to give him any tools to work with for a couple years.

Really, the most I'd want to give up is the #4, #22, and a 4th round pick. I know that realistically, that probably won't get it done though.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
03-01-2012, 09:23 AM
St. Louis better close this deal with the browns. They could still get blackmon/claiborne at 4 then a wide receiver(stephen hill?) or lineman(peter konz/mike adams) with the 22nd

keylime_5
03-01-2012, 09:29 AM
I know it sounds like the Browns really want to add an answer at QB, and that they'll probably explore Flynn and his value/price range, as well as try to get Griffin who I know and you know every team that needs a QB is falling in love with. If we don't get Flynn in free agency you better bet that there will be a bidding war for Griffin and the Browns, like you said fun, have the ammo to outbid anyone if they want to - and Holmgren has tried to move a motherload of picks for Sam Bradford in the past.

I think the Browns are still the favorites for Griffin b/c of this, but there is a lot that is gonna happen in the next 8 weeks so who knows. The Redskins have a really good chance of being the team to take him. No quesiton he should go to one of those two teams.

fear the elf
03-01-2012, 09:57 AM
I know it sounds like the Browns really want to add an answer at QB, and that they'll probably explore Flynn and his value/price range, as well as try to get Griffin who I know and you know every team that needs a QB is falling in love with. If we don't get Flynn in free agency you better bet that there will be a bidding war for Griffin and the Browns, like you said fun, have the ammo to outbid anyone if they want to - and Holmgren has tried to move a motherload of picks for Sam Bradford in the past.

I think the Browns are still the favorites for Griffin b/c of this, but there is a lot that is gonna happen in the next 8 weeks so who knows. The Redskins have a really good chance of being the team to take him. No quesiton he should go to one of those two teams.

How much would you be willing to give up? And assuming we would have to give up our 1st and 2nd rounders, how do you think we put talent around him for him to succeed?

keylime_5
03-01-2012, 10:45 AM
well if we don't have a QB before the draft I would give up what they're saying we might have to. Ernie Accorsi says a franchise QB is worth 3-5 first round picks. If Griffin is a great one like he is expected to be then whatever we give up for him will be trifles compared to what we'd be missing out on.

I kinda would rather sign Flynn and keep the picks....but we gamble that Flynn is just a guy who will improve us and make us a 9 or 10 win team every year instead of a title contender - you really need an elite QB to be a title contender and you usually have to spend top 5 picks on those kind of QBs.

fear the elf
03-01-2012, 10:49 AM
I pretty much agree with all of that. The thing that keeps bugging me is that there is no guarantee that he becomes a franchise QB, so giving up 3 first round picks is terrifying.

Especially when you consider that talent around a QB helps their development, and we are giving up a lot of talent in those 3+ picks (and currently have almost no talent, as well).

Give up talent to get potential franchise QB, who needs the given up talent to help him become franchise QB... >(

keylime_5
03-01-2012, 11:09 AM
the odds are good though that he does. he should be at least a good starting QB if not an elite franchise QB. If we strike out then we strike out on something that could completely turn our franchise around for a good part of a decade, and IMO it's worth the potential reward. It's not like we'll be that much worse off than we have been since 1999 if we get Griffin and he busts either, we have little to lose at this point.

LonghornsLegend
03-02-2012, 08:09 AM
If the Washington rumors are true, how is anyone out bidding them? STL is only moving down 4 spots, and while Cleveland can offer a pick in the 20's this year for help, who honestly sees the Skins picking out of the top 10 next year even with Griffin? Look at where the Panthers are picking this year with one of the most ridiculous rookie QB seasons ever, and still picking 9th without having to give up a ton of picks to get Cam.

Washington is likely giving up a top 5 pick next year which is a potential franchise changing player, in comparison to the #22 pick this year. That, and when is the last time that anyone put in more then Washington when it came to trading picks away?

Maybe they want Flynn, or Tannehill, but if the rumors are true and your STL, there is no reason to even bother with Cleveland. Get Reiff with the 6th pick, and in the 2nd round they can finally get a back-up RB and another WR before even getting to the 3rd round.

That's a very good foundation for going into 2013 draft with a likely top 5 pick and top 15 pick. It's the type of trade that can turn a franchise around.

If I'm Cleveland and that's the offer I have to beat out, I'm probably "settling" for Tannehill. Maybe you can get cute and move back for him at 6, or up with 22, but this team isn't that far off and has built a strong foundation with the offensive and defensive lines.

prock
03-02-2012, 08:22 AM
I think the Browns should just target Flynn. Get Richardson at 6, Adams or Glenn at 22 and then get someone like Sanu/Wright/Hill in round 2. Sounds like the makings of a dangerous offense to me.