PDA

View Full Version : Official 49ers 2012 NFL Draft Thread

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Menardo75
03-06-2012, 03:51 PM
Poe is a guy, although not a position of need, just screams draft me. A guy that big, with that kind of strength, athletic ability are very rare. Nagta was the last guy of that caliber. Virtually impossible to get him where we are but he's a guy who you'd love to add to any defense. But especially to middle of our front, no question. He and Hill are my 1A and 1B draft crush.

If there was a way to get Poe they should do it, because Tomsula will turn him into Haloti Nagta

hawkeye123
03-06-2012, 03:56 PM
Would Poe play NT or DE?

Justone2
03-06-2012, 04:02 PM
NT i think so he can grow behind Sopoaga.

Menardo75
03-06-2012, 04:05 PM
He could play any spot on the line, but yeah probably nose.

Menardo75
03-06-2012, 04:13 PM
Just saw this article come up http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-falcons-blog/2012/03/06/hill-has-strong-showing-at-georgia-techs-pro-day/?cxntfid=blogs_atlanta_falcons_blog

Apparently the Niners were the only team not present at G Tech's pro day.

Madirishman
03-06-2012, 07:06 PM
Just saw this article come up http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-falcons-blog/2012/03/06/hill-has-strong-showing-at-georgia-techs-pro-day/?cxntfid=blogs_atlanta_falcons_blog

Apparently the Niners were the only team not present at G Tech's pro day.

Yep, I was just going to post it. Hahahahaha

Harbaalke trying to fly under the radar again like they did last year with Aldon. I think they like this kid. I do too, and as of now, I think he's worth the risk at 30. He won't make it to the end of Round 2.

phlysac
03-06-2012, 07:24 PM

Harbaalke trying to fly under the radar again like they did last year with Aldon. I think they like this kid. I do too, and as of now, I think he's worth the risk at 30. He won't make it to the end of Round 2.

He might not make it to the end of round one.

Where were they btw?
Here's the other Pro Days today...

March 6: Alabama A&M, Arkansas, Auburn, California Lutheran, Clark, Eastern Kentucky, Georgia Tech, Illinois, Liberty, Rhode Island, Sacramento State, Tarleton State, UCLA, Valdosta State

I'm sure they'll bring Hill in to work out atSanta Clara.

VAfy-ya
03-06-2012, 07:43 PM

I thought they attended Missouri's Pro Day last year? Especially because I think Gabbert threw that day as well.

But like you said, means little. And why would Hill workout after the Combine he had? Seems rather odd.

VAfy-ya
03-06-2012, 07:48 PM
He might not make it to the end of round one.

Where were they btw?
Here's the other Pro Days today...

March 6: Alabama A&M, Arkansas, Auburn, California Lutheran, Clark, Eastern Kentucky, Georgia Tech, Illinois, Liberty, Rhode Island, Sacramento State, Tarleton State, UCLA, Valdosta State

I'm sure they'll bring Hill in to work out atSanta Clara.

Maybe they were in Arkansas getting a up close-up look at Joe Adams and Jarius Wright? At least I hope....

Madirishman
03-06-2012, 07:58 PM
I thought they attended Missouri's Pro Day last year? Especially because I think Gabbert threw that day as well.

But like you said, means little. And why would Hill workout after the Combine he had? Seems rather odd.

They DID attend Missouri's Pro Day last year, BUT everyone thought they were there for Gabbert, not Aldon. It was a perfect cover up and they played it aloof, keeping their obvious interest in Aldon (a player they were specifically targeting) completely on the hush. Love it.

Menardo75
03-06-2012, 08:04 PM

All he did was run routes today.

phlysac
03-06-2012, 09:13 PM
My First Official Mock 2012

Perhaps a bit hopeful with some of their "stocks" but it's so hard to gauge.

Thoughts and comments appreciated...

1. Stephen Hill - WR - Georgia Tech
2. Trumaine Johnson - CB/FS - Montana
3. Bruce Irvin - OLB - West Virginia
4. Robert Turbin - RB - Utah State
5. Joe Adams - WR/RS - Arkansas
6. David Molk - C - Michigan
7. Kelcie McCray - FS/SS - Arkansas State

Brent
03-06-2012, 09:40 PM
if we snag Joe Adams that late, I will cream my pants.

phlysac
03-06-2012, 09:52 PM
if we snag Joe Adams that late, I will cream my pants.

That 3-6 range is so hard to predict. I was comfortable with Adams in the 4-6 range much of the season. Then his Bowl game and pre-Combine hype had him hitting the 1st round (which I thought was laughable) but it made 2-3 feasable. Then his Combine showed that he doesn't have elite speed (perhaps elite "quicks"), and maybe, just maybe... will still be there.

Of all the picks in the mock he is my most "wishful thinking," but as I evaluate the WR class, there are so many of similar "stock," and where they fall will largely depend on who's picking.

Rabscuttle
03-06-2012, 09:54 PM

1. Stephen Hill - WR - Georgia Tech Sounds like he is a hard worker that would fit in well with the team and will do the dirty work to help hi teammates in the running game.
2. Trumaine Johnson - CB/FS - Montana Don't know enough to comment. We are needing a guy that can take care of the slot though.
3. Bruce Irvin - OLB - West Virginia Love this pick. Need to have the next pass rusher on the roster for when injuries/salary escalations arise
4. Robert Turbin - RB - Utah State Same as T Johnson
5. Joe Adams - WR/RS - Arkansas Love this pick, the kid can make plays and be a ST contributor while he learns his position
6. David Molk - C - Michigan Mean guys are always good to take a look at.
7. Kelcie McCray - FS/SS - Arkansas State And another I don't know enough about, but a team always needs db's to fill special teams with the hope that he develops.

Haven't done enough homework to be more helpful. Always a bit odd for me to see a draft without a DL even when a team seems set there.

PhysicalwithanF
03-06-2012, 10:07 PM
Thats a fantastic looking mock Phly..I like all those guys. My immediate thoughts are Im not as much of a fan of Hill as most are..seems a bit to raw for me even factoring in his measurables which admittedly are impressive...i guess im just wary of taking WRs high in general..I still hopes Wright falls to us but he prob wont. Having said all that I wouldnt be upset with Hill depending on what we do in FA. Its a toss up for me amongst second round grade CBs like Johnson, Hosley, Gilmore, Norman..but I like Johnson hes huge for a corner and kinda reminds me of Brandon Browner which isnt a bad thing. I like both Irvin and Turbin..especially Turban but i think you MAY have them dropping one round to far. I love Joe Adams. Is Molks projected to last this long? I thought he was graded higher.

Overall a freakin great haul..again its hard to project for real until FA is over but I would be stoked if that was our draft. My recent mock looks similar btw.

49erNation85
03-06-2012, 10:24 PM
Lovely Mock Phlysac .. Would be an ideal draft picks.

Menardo75
03-07-2012, 12:00 AM

1. Stephen Hill - WR - Georgia Tech
2. Trumaine Johnson - CB/FS - Montana
3. Bruce Irvin - OLB - West Virginia
4. Robert Turbin - RB - Utah State
5. Joe Adams - WR/RS - Arkansas
6. David Molk - C - Michigan
7. Kelcie McCray - FS/SS - Arkansas State

It looks like a baalke draft

chapo123
03-07-2012, 09:12 AM
updated mock draft:

1. stephen hill - wr
2. alfonzo denard - cb
3. shea mccllein - olb/de
4. brandon taylor - s
5. vick ballard - rb
6. marquis maze - pr/kr/wr
7. ben bojicic - c

VAfy-ya
03-07-2012, 02:09 PM
Hmmmmm.....never EVER have I done a mock draft before. So I guess we'll call this a wish list I guess of what I wouldnt mind seeing from Baalke come draft day.

1st> Stephen Hill, WR - Georgia Tech

2nd> Stephon Gilmore, CB - S. Carolina

3rd> Doug Martin, RB - Bosie St

4th> Sean Richardson, SS - Vandy

5th> Austin Pasztor, OG - UVA

6th> Adrian Hamilton, OLB - Prarie View St

7th> Junior Hemingway, WR - Michigan

phlysac
03-07-2012, 03:38 PM
1st> Stephen Hill, WR - Georgia Tech

2nd> Stephon Gilmore, CB - S. Carolina

3rd> Doug Martin, RB - Bosie St

Don't like the chances, but... JIZZTASTIC!

My opinion, and could be WAY OFF (just as I could be with my mock) but I see all 3 of those guys gone prior to the 49ers 2nd pick.

VAfy-ya
03-07-2012, 03:57 PM
Don't like the chances, but... JIZZTASTIC!

My opinion, and could be WAY OFF (just as I could be with my mock) but I see all 3 of those guys gone prior to the 49ers 2nd pick.

Yea, thats why I called it a wish list per say, though RBs tend to get undervalued. No one expected Hunter to be around in the 4th last year. Martin is just too much of a stud to last until the 3rd. Gilmore though, I could see maybe sliding to us in the 2nd. If not, I'll take Martin in the second and Donnie Fletcher in the third :)

And I can't believe I forgot to mention Nic Perry as my part of my draft crush trio. Explosive guy off the snap. Loads of ability. Motor may be a question but would love, love, LOVE to have him as a Niner as well.

YAYareaRB
03-07-2012, 06:34 PM
1. Kevin Zeitler OG, Wisconsin - The more I think about how deep the WR position is, the more I want someone who will rid us of seeing Snyder get hurt and Chilo Rachal playing. Enter Zeitler, one of the five reasons Montee Ball had such an outstanding year. Pure hogmolly! trench dog! whatever you would like to call him, he's it. I agree with Scott on this pick.

phahBI8uxKw

2. Stephon Gilmore CB, South Carolina - Good CB with solid ball skills and a good tackler. This defense calls for bigger corners and ones that can tackle. I think Gilmore makes an impact anywhere.

wq_7sE0jMzM

3. Brian Quick WR, App State - BIG AND FAST. Harbaugh is looking for big bodied WRs that can run and block just as well. Quick is almost a hidden gem. He's a jump ball artist and very dangerous after the catch.

oh5X0_c1DZo

4. Vick Ballard RB, Mississippi State - Dixon isnt the power back we need. I'm not even sure if we need a power back. Big Vick isn't even a power back, he's a tackle breaking back, if you will. Guy runs with power but with all that power, hes also very patient when picking a whole, sometimes too patient. But I like the athleticism a guy his size brings. He's also a good receiever out of the backfield.

yZoymtxb-20

5. Jake Bequette DE/OLB, Arkansas - Could have his hand up or down for us. Gotta love the combination of size and athleticsm with this guy. Was THEE sackmaster at Arkansas.

7cgBuXgntCI

6. Devon Wylie WR/RS, Fresno State - Small guy, hard worker. sat out of the 2010 season with a fractured foot. Would probably be a great special teamer at the next level. Explosive. Some people say he's a legit 4.2 40 guy. If we dont resign Ginn, Wylie could fill in the return role.

faqfXBtF50I

7. Brad Smelley TE, Bama - Could compete with Byham for the 3rd TE spot. Had a very nice year for the National Champion Crimson Tide. Averaged 10 yards a catch. I also would like Jake Byrne from Wisconsin here, good blocking TE.

YAYareaRB
03-07-2012, 08:40 PM
I did this mock in hopes that we sign one of the top WRs in the FA. Also, resigning all of our own players ie. Alex and Rogers

VAfy-ya
03-07-2012, 08:43 PM
I really like Ballard so I wouldn't mind seeing him drafted. Of course I like Gilmore in the second.....*zing. No problems with anything after that but if Hill is still on the board and we draft yet another OG in the first round, Im going to be very disappointed to put iit midly.

I think Bequette is going to be one of those players that GMs look back on this draft and wonder, "How did we miss this guy?" Just seems like a Jimbaugh type of player and guy with alot of natural pass-rush ability. Really like the value there where you have him going. Seems like I guy who's gonna fall through the cracks because ppl question him as a athlete, much like they did All-Done last year.

49erNation85
03-08-2012, 12:56 AM
I would love to see Hill and Doug Martin on our team.Martin could be all around back and fill in for Gore after he is gone. Hes also my favorite HB of the draft for mid round. Too bad he isn't 2nd round grade.

binary
03-08-2012, 12:59 AM
That Quick kid looks amazing, what balance and suddenness, could be a gem.

phlysac
03-08-2012, 09:07 AM
I would love to see Hill and Doug Martin on our team.Martin could be all around back and fill in for Gore after he is gone. Hes also my favorite HB of the draft for mid round. Too bad he isn't 2nd round grade.

Depends on who you ask. The majority of the sites I read have him as a 2nd round grade. Personally, he's my #2 ranked RB, just as Kendall Hunter was last year.

YAYareaRB
03-08-2012, 09:57 AM
I couldnt decide between Ballard and the Muscle Hampster. I honestly just picked the SEC running back lol

VAfy-ya
03-08-2012, 04:51 PM
I couldnt decide between Ballard and the Muscle Hampster. I honestly just picked the SEC running back lol

He's got great feet. When he moves lateral he doesn't lose much if any momentum. Thats rare for a small, stocky back. I like him, Brandon Bolden of Ole Miss and Bernard Pierce from Temple as mid-late round guys I'd like us to look at.

VAfy-ya
03-09-2012, 07:53 AM
Niner scout on hand for Mami's Pro Day
http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2012/03/wideout-watch-streeter-toon-work-out-on-thursday.html

Ness
03-12-2012, 11:31 PM
This site has us taking an offensive guard in the first round. I wouldn't mind that actually if that is the BPA at our spot. Worked out with Aldon Smith. We already have Kilgore though and I'm wondering if he's ever going to get his shot.

http://i.imgur.com/coQy5.jpg

edgrenade
03-13-2012, 12:31 AM
i could see us going WR, CB, or HB @ 30. I would not mind AT ALL if Doug Martin were there and we took him

Brent
03-13-2012, 09:26 AM
This site has us taking an offensive guard in the first round. I wouldn't mind that actually if that is the BPA at our spot. Worked out with Aldon Smith. We already have Kilgore though and I'm wondering if he's ever going to get his shot.
Guard is such a Baalke pick. Wouldn't shock me.

phlysac
03-13-2012, 10:20 AM
Guard is such a Baalke pick. Wouldn't shock me.

Other than the fact he's already drafted 3 in 2 years (Iupati, Kilgore, Person)

Brent
03-13-2012, 11:09 AM
Other than the fact he's already drafted 3 in 2 years (Iupati, Kilgore, Person)
Yes, we are all aware of who we drafted. But that doesn't mean they wouldn't take BPA, even if that happens to be a guard.

phlysac
03-13-2012, 11:15 AM
Yes, we are all aware of who we drafted. But that doesn't mean they wouldn't take BPA, even if that happens to be a guard.

You can't argue BPA.

It would just make trading up for Kilgore seem peculiar in hindsight.

Brent
03-13-2012, 11:17 AM
You can't argue BPA.

I'm still scratching my head about that.

phlysac
03-13-2012, 11:20 AM

We're on the opposite sides of the fence on it then, which easily describes our opposition regarding Zeitler at #30.

I will only scratch my head if Kilgore doesn't get an opportunity. Until then, I feel he is being groomed to be a starting G. He basically was red-shirted last season.

If I'm wrong, then you're absolutely right in scratching your head already, and targeting G at #30 seems even more likely.

Justone2
03-13-2012, 11:30 AM
Unless Decastro falls to us i dont think we should draft a G at 30.

hawkeye123
03-16-2012, 09:08 PM
Omar Bolden ran a 4.4 at his pro day. That'll definitely have him in the 3rd-4th round area.

dan77733
03-16-2012, 10:50 PM
At 30, I would be shocked if they drafted an OG unless its DeCastro because 4/5 of the starting OL would be first round draft picks. I'm hoping for Fleener, Hill and DeCastro in that order. However, I would prefer them to sign a veteran RG Jake Scott as a one or two year stopgap and then hope Kilgore is ready to start. I dont want a rookie or Kilgore at RG next to Davis. Dont know about others here, I prefer a veteran next to Davis.

Brent
03-16-2012, 10:57 PM
We're on the opposite sides of the fence on it then, which easily describes our opposition regarding Zeitler at #30.

I will only scratch my head if Kilgore doesn't get an opportunity. Until then, I feel he is being groomed to be a starting G. He basically was red-shirted last season.

If I'm wrong, then you're absolutely right in scratching your head already, and targeting G at #30 seems even more likely.
I honestly dont know what to expect from the first few picks any more. Baalke is so hard to predict.

Borat
03-16-2012, 11:09 PM
At 30, I would be shocked if they drafted an OG unless its DeCastro because 4/5 of the starting OL would be first round draft picks.

Who cares where they were picked? That doesn't make any sense. All I care about is if they can dominate the line of scrimmage or not.

I'm hoping for Fleener, Hill and DeCastro in that order.

I rate DeCastro as one of the top 10 players in this draft so I wouldn't have him behind Fleener AND Hill (though I really like all 3 of those guys).

However, I would prefer them to sign a veteran RG Jake Scott as a one or two year stopgap and then hope Kilgore is ready to start. I dont want a rookie or Kilgore at RG next to Davis. Dont know about others here, I prefer a veteran next to Davis.

Ugh. Do not want Jake Scott. But, if they somehow sign Manning, then I definitely see them signing or drafting a 1st round RG just to make sure there isn't a giant hole there if Kilgore isn't ready.

dan77733
03-16-2012, 11:22 PM
Who cares where they were picked? That doesn't make any sense. All I care about is if they can dominate the line of scrimmage or not.

Its not that I care where they're picked but when their contracts are up....thats going to cost possibly Nicks/Evans type money which means we'll just have to replace them. Thats the only reason why im mentioning it.

I rate DeCastro as one of the top 10 players in this draft so I wouldn't have him behind Fleener AND Hill (though I really like all 3 of those guys).

I have Fleener and Hill ahead of DeCastro because I prefer them over DeCastro. Of course, I think that all three will be long gone so in the end, this is all mute.

Ugh. Do not want Jake Scott. But, if they somehow sign Manning, then I definitely see them signing or drafting a 1st round RG just to make sure there isn't a giant hole there if Kilgore isn't ready.

I dont want Scott either but since the guy I preferred is in ARZ, he's the next best option and he's better than Leonard Davis by far as he's done. The main reason I want Scott instead of a rookie or Kilgore starting is because I dont like the idea of having a young guy next to Davis. I prefer a veteran next to Davis.

thediggler3030
03-17-2012, 03:38 PM
You can't argue BPA.

Unless they were profiling him as their future Center. The Niners need two new starting interior linemen in the next few years.

I don't see how they don't target an OG as a priority this off-season when they lost everyone who played a down at RG in a really sub par line last year.

Like I said earlier, a team that ranked 20th in the league in ypc and gave up the 7th most sacks needs some additional help on the line.

Madirishman
03-17-2012, 04:04 PM

Just because they liked Kilgore enough to target and go get him last year, it doesn't mean that they couldn't look to upgrade the Guard spot using a higher pick the next season. He did redshirt and they had a season to look at him, but perhaps they aren't sold on him as a starter at RG yet or they would rather he be groomed to take over for Goodwin at Center in the near future. I don't know if they'll target a RG at 30, but I could see them taking one if they saw the value or BPA in a player.

phlysac
03-17-2012, 06:14 PM
Keep in mind that all of my opinions of G at 30 have changed with Snyder's departure. I really didn't see that coming.

I thought that Kilgore would start and Snyder would backup.

"Best 53"... so BPA is the way to go.

My memory says the "plan" was for Kilgore to work as C/G and Person to work as G/T

Chase Beeler is still a member of the PS, I believe. I've never been high on his chances of making the final 53.

Pittsburgh Steelers GM Kevin Colbert is on record as saying that Guard is a really deep class this year, while C and T are weaker.

dan77733
03-17-2012, 10:23 PM
Thats why I was hoping for the team to re-sign Snyder (who actually got paid less than what I would have been willing to give him) for at least two years because that way, in 2014,they could let him and Goodwin walk as UFA's and by then, Beeler/Kilgore/Person would hopefully be ready and if not, we would have three drafts (2012-2014) to draft their replacements. Oh well.

thediggler3030
03-17-2012, 10:56 PM
1. Stephen Hill WR, Georgia Tech.
2. Brandon Washington OG, Miami
3. Robert Turbin RB, Utah St.
4. T.Y. Hilton WR, Florida Int.
5. Miles Burris LB, San Diego St.
6. Hebron Fangupo NT, BYU
7. Beau Reliford TE, Florida St.
7. Jeremy Jones DB, Wayne St. (I would give up a 7th for Grant...)

Thoughts?

phlysac
03-17-2012, 11:07 PM
Would be very happy with 1-5

I tried to evaluate Burris as a ST demon that could play both OLB and OLB depending on situation. I'm on the fence with him.

I love 1-4 in particular. Of course that would mean 6 WRs.

thediggler3030
03-17-2012, 11:21 PM
Would be very happy with 1-5

I tried to evaluate Burris as a ST demon that could play both OLB and OLB depending on situation. I'm on the fence with him.

I love 1-4 in particular. Of course that would mean 6 WRs.

Yeah the Manningham signing changes some things. Sadly I posted this right before hand I saw it lol. I still am a huge fan of Both Hill and Hilton. I would be okay with drafting them in those same spots even with Mario on the team.

I almost put Brandon Lindsey in that spot. Though I feel like Burris is versatile enough to provide some increased value. I also like Josh Kaddu and thought about him there as well.

dan77733
03-17-2012, 11:22 PM
1. Stephen Hill WR, Georgia Tech.
2. Brandon Washington OG, Miami
3. Robert Turbin RB, Utah St.
5. Miles Burris LB, San Diego St.
7. Jeremy Jones DB, Wayne St. (I would give up a 7th for Grant...)

Thoughts?

Is that before or after signing Manningham? Nevermind.

thediggler3030
03-17-2012, 11:38 PM
Is that before or after signing Manningham? Nevermind.

I'm updating now based on it, so I may post a new one tonight.

thediggler3030
03-18-2012, 12:26 AM
Updated post Manningham:

1. Kevin Zeitler OG, Wisconsin
2. Chris Polk RB, Washington
3. Mychal Kendricks LB, Cal.
5. Tramain Thomas S, Arkansas
7. Jeremy Jones DB, Wayne St.

Brent
03-18-2012, 12:40 AM
Updated post Manningham
Manningham should equate to not taking a WR in the first. My guess is OG.

thediggler3030
03-18-2012, 12:44 AM

OG is certainly a bigger need at this point. That is why I have Zeitler going in the first in the mock I just posted. Though I still would be okay with a WR in the first. Especially a developmental guy like Hill.

MaybeDavis
03-18-2012, 05:44 AM
1. Coby Fleener
2. Jared Crick
3. Robert Turbin

Thoughts?

I see Turbin as the 2nd best RB in that Draft.
I really like his speed out of his cuts and he is really fast for his size. Also he can catch the Ball. I didnt saw him blocking.
Why is Turbin listed as bad as he is? Can u explain it...?

Edit:
DeCastro would be the dream pick, but no way he will be there. Think he goes Top 15.
Before the Manningham signing, Hill was also a favorite. But i havent a problem if we pick him with manningham on board, if he is there at 30

Ness
03-18-2012, 05:52 AM

I would like this. Our offensive line is still bleh. Too bad Kilgore seems out of the mix.

phlysac
03-18-2012, 08:38 AM
Updated post Manningham:

1. Kevin Zeitler OG, Wisconsin
3. Mychal Kendricks LB, Cal.
5. Tramain Thomas S, Arkansas
7. Jeremy Jones DB, Wayne St.

I actually prefer the first version. But that's just me.

phlysac
03-18-2012, 08:39 AM
I would like this. Our offensive line is still bleh. Too bad Kilgore seems out of the mix.

According to whom?

Daniel Kilgore is expected to compete for the 49ers' starting right guard job this season.
http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/6669/daniel-kilgore

thediggler3030
03-18-2012, 12:43 PM
1. Coby Fleener
2. Jared Crick
3. Robert Turbin

Thoughts?

I see Turbin as the 2nd best RB in that Draft.
I really like his speed out of his cuts and he is really fast for his size. Also he can catch the Ball. I didnt saw him blocking.
Why is Turbin listed as bad as he is? Can u explain it...?

Edit:
DeCastro would be the dream pick, but no way he will be there. Think he goes Top 15.
Before the Manningham signing, Hill was also a favorite. But i havent a problem if we pick him with manningham on board, if he is there at 30

I would be disappointed with Fleener in the first. I like Delanie Walker a lot, but also just don't think Fleener is worth a first round pick. Mid second I would be fine, outside of the fact that its just not a need, but whatev on that front

edgrenade
03-19-2012, 06:32 AM
What if a guy like Devon Still or Andre Branch fall to 30 somehow? I think that they should definitely be looked at. I'm a big fan of these guys.

thediggler3030
03-19-2012, 09:42 AM
What if a guy like Devon Still or Andre Branch fall to 30 somehow? I think that they should definitely be looked at. I'm a big fan of these guys.

I like those players and would be okay with them especially if they were Baalke's BPA, but I have been prioritizing offensive players as the Niners really struggled in all aspects of the offense last year. Finding a player that will bulk up the rushing game or help stretch the field is a serious need, especially if they bring Smith back.

chapo123
03-20-2012, 09:51 AM
updated mock after several fa signings:

1. cordy glenn - g
2. brandon taylor - s
3. joe adams - wr
4. bruce irvin - old/de
5. vick ballard - rb
6. bj coleman - qb
7. james rodgers - wr

Madirishman
03-20-2012, 10:33 AM

I could see them still taking a (somewhat) developmental guy like Hill at 30, despite the Manningham and Moss signings as they are both short term contracts, with a chance that Moss might not even make the final 53.

49erNation85
03-20-2012, 10:41 AM
Yes I would still love to draft and good wide out at 30.Then go after o line defense back etc following those rounds.

49ersfan_87
03-21-2012, 01:18 AM
If we can sign Schwartz, we'd be in pretty good position to go BPA all the way. We've done a good job of addressing our needs in FA. I could see us draft for the future, ie Delanie Walker and Isaac Sopoaga's contracts are up and i don't know if we'll re-sign them. Could be a good opportunity to take a TE and NT this draft to groom as their replacement.

VAfy-ya
03-21-2012, 10:25 PM

How so? His deal is only two years. And its very debatable whether Manningham is just a glorified #2 WR(me personally, I say he is). It all depends on who is still available when our pick rolls around. I think we will still go WR at 30 if either Hill or Wright are on the board. OG is a position I believe that if your not getting elite talent, you take later. I thought Iupati was the best OG prospect since Hutch. It made sense to take him where we did in 2010. There isnt a OG prospect at 30 I feel is just head and shoulders better than a guy you could probably nap in round two or three. And since free agency is far from over, I dont think we're done addressing the OG position.

edgrenade
03-21-2012, 10:36 PM
What about RBs? Some guys I like are Doug Martin in the first or Isiah Pead in the third

Brent
03-22-2012, 05:51 AM
What about RBs? Some guys I like are Doug Martin in the first or Isiah Pead in the third

Doug Martin is not a first round pick. RB values are not that high, unless it's stand-out talent.

phlysac
03-22-2012, 07:14 AM
Doug Martin is not a first round pick. RB values are not that high, unless it's stand-out talent.

And Pead is a thin, shifty back. If the 49ers address RB, I feel they will add a big bodied power back, or an all-around "every down" back to groom behind Gore.

thediggler3030
03-22-2012, 08:38 AM
And Pead is a thin, shifty back. If the 49ers address RB, I feel they will add a big bodied power back, or an all-around "every down" back to groom behind Gore.

Agreed,

I'm thinking

Doug Martin in the 2nd
Lamar Miller in the 2nd
Chris Polk in the 2nd
Bernard Pierce in the 3rd
Robert Turbin in the 3rd
Tauren Pool in the 4th
Vic Ballard in the 4th
Dan Herron in the 4th
Terrance Ganeway in the 5th
Devin Meggett in the 5th
Edwin Baker in the 5th

Those are the RB's who have good value in those rounds, and I also think they fit a need of an RB that can develop into Gore's eventual replacement or at least would work well in a committee with Kendall Hunter.

villagewarrior
03-23-2012, 10:46 AM
So if Kendall Wright were available at 30 would you Niner fans still jump on him? You also can't have enough good offensive linemen, but I'm confused because San Francisco has invested in a lot of high linemen recently? What are some other areas the Niners would like to address?

Ness
03-23-2012, 11:02 AM
So if Kendall Wright were available at 30 would you Niner fans still jump on him? You also can't have enough good offensive linemen, but I'm confused because San Francisco has invested in a lot of high linemen recently? What are some other areas the Niners would like to address?

I wouldn't mind another offensive guard. I feel like we already have a good amount of receivers that can make plays for us to not warrant taking another one with our first round pick.

phlysac
03-23-2012, 12:00 PM

It appears that the pick will truly be BPA based on Baalke's board.

Every single position (with competition) is established exept for the starting RG. Interior OL is deep (especially at guard) this draft so there would be no need to force the slot.

The only positions I see as being unlikely at #30 are QB, OT, ILB, P, K.

49ersfan_87
03-23-2012, 10:59 PM
What would you guys think of taking Reuban Randle at 30?

VAfy-ya
03-23-2012, 11:11 PM
I wouldn't mind another offensive guard. I feel like we already have a good amount of receivers that can make plays for us to not warrant taking another one with our first round pick.

We still lack a true #1 WR. A guy you can line up anywhere, run any route, and excel. I still say we're going WR. Moss is on a one year deal. Manningham signed for 2 years. If Harbaalke believe that either CK, JJ, or Tolz is the future, then why wouldn't you draft them a target on the outside that they can develop with? Any no, Fleener isnt a the same as a WR.

49erNation85
03-24-2012, 12:29 AM
Yes please go with a WR at 30! We have no need to get a TE or CB there maybe round two or later in the draft .

dan77733
03-24-2012, 10:59 AM
We still lack a true #1 WR. A guy you can line up anywhere, run any route, and excel. I still say we're going WR. Moss is on a one year deal. Manningham signed for 2 years. If Harbaalke believe that either CK, JJ, or Tolz is the future, then why wouldn't you draft them a target on the outside that they can develop with? Any no, Fleener isnt a the same as a WR.

I agree but what happens if there's no WR good enough to take at 30? I'm hoping for Hill in regards to WR but my number one target is Fleener and he's a Jimmy Graham type TE/WR and would be an awesome red zone target with Davis and WE DO NEED a TE because I dont see Walker staying in SF as a backup when he'll get more money and be a starter somewhere else.

It would be a lot easier for Fleener to make the transition from college to the NFL than any WR that we'll draft at 30 plus he already knows Harbaugh's offense. Moss, Manningham and Ginn are stopgaps at best but I wouldnt be surprised if the team passed on a WR at 30 because let's be honest, no rookie WR is going to come in and surpass five other receivers ahead of him.

At 30, if Fleener is still on the board, im hoping that Harbaugh drafts him. If Fleener is gone and Hill is there, then im hoping for Hill. If both are gone, then either BPA, an OG or trade out of the first round.

Yes please go with a WR at 30! We have no need to get a TE or CB there maybe round two or later in the draft .

Considering Harbaugh loves running two TE sets, I dont understand why everyone here says that we dont need a TE. Byham is coming off a torn ACL and Walker is an UFA next year and while im sure the team will try to re-sign him at some point this off-season, I'll be surprised if he does. If he's not re-signed by Draft day, I would draft Fleener at 30 if he's still on the board and then trade Walker since he would be expendable.

Another reason why drafting a WR at 30 isnt better than Fleener is because that rookie WR is basically a long term project and there's no way that rookie WR will surpass five other receivers on the depth chart. It would be easier for Fleener to make the transition than any rookie WR.

Also, everyone here wants a huge red zone target and a Davis/Fleener combination would be damn good.

49ersfan_87
03-24-2012, 12:26 PM
If we don't land Fleener at 30 (either passing him up, or he goes earlier) what are some other TE's we could target? Would Orson Charles or Ladarius Green be good pickups in the 2nd/3rd?

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
03-24-2012, 12:45 PM
If we don't land Fleener at 30 (either passing him up, or he goes earlier) what are some other TE's we could target? Would Orson Charles or Ladarius Green be good pickups in the 2nd/3rd?

I think if they miss out or pass on Fleener they won't draft a TE till day 3. I think Fleener's skill set and fit into the offense would make him the only TE they would consider drafting high (first 3 rounds).

Justone2
03-24-2012, 12:59 PM
I even think they won't draft one at all if they would miss on Fleener. Somehow i have the feeling they are planning on trading up to get DeCastro if he is there in de 15-20 range. There isn't really a big need on any other position and on most position no minor need either.

thediggler3030
03-24-2012, 02:49 PM
I'm starting to think the Niners are going to move up in the draft to nab someone. They always seem to think there are only 20 or so first round players, so I think they may send their first and second to get up for one of them.

If they don't, here are the 10 players I think most likely to be picked at 30:

1. Stephen Hill WR
2. Kevin Zeitler OG
3. Coby Fleener TE
4. Peter Konz C
5. Kendall Reyes DE
6. Rueban Randle WR
7. Whitney Mercilus OLB
8. Stephon Gilmore CB
9. Andre Branch OLB
10. Doug Martin RB

Long story short, if Zeitler, Konz and Hill are gone and we didn't move up, I am going to be a tad disappointed.

phlysac
03-24-2012, 07:41 PM
Hill, Fleener, or Konz for me. I actually think Konz is a natural fit a G. And Kilgore was drafted to be a Center.

Those are my "Top-3"

Unless something unforeseen causes someone to drop.

thediggler3030
03-24-2012, 11:44 PM
Hill, Fleener, or Konz for me. I actually think Konz is a natural fit a G. And Kilgore was drafted to be a Center.

Those are my "Top-3"

Unless something unforeseen causes someone to drop.

Man, I just cannot get on the Fleener bandwagon. For the same reason I don't want an RB in the first round. I know we will need another starting caliber TE sometime, but I just see it as one of the strengths of the team. Maybe I just like Delanie Walker more than most, but I think it would be a shame to take him off the field.

If Fleener is the bpa than so be it, I just kinda hope he isn't as I would rather see more talent on the oline or in the WR core. Not at TE.

If we are drafting for depth, then my new darkhorse in round one is a defensive lineman. I think the Niners had a lot of injury luck last year, and would have struggled a bit more if Smith or McDonald went down. I like the youth they have in there, but that doesn't mean they are talented enough to make the impact the Niners need.

phlysac
03-25-2012, 12:03 AM
I like the youth they have in there, but that doesn't mean they are talented enough to make the impact the Niners need.

True, but it doesn't mean they aren't talented enough, either. That's why Baalke gets the bucks.

VAfy-ya
03-25-2012, 01:48 AM
I think if they miss out or pass on Fleener they won't draft a TE till day 3. I think Fleener's skill set and fit into the offense would make him the only TE they would consider drafting high (first 3 rounds).

I disagree. Egnew is a heck of a TE and a guy I would love for us to take. Just hard predicting where excatly he comes off the board.

VAfy-ya
03-25-2012, 02:23 AM
Man, I just cannot get on the Fleener bandwagon. For the same reason I don't want an RB in the first round. I know we will need another starting caliber TE sometime, but I just see it as one of the strengths of the team. Maybe I just like Delanie Walker more than most, but I think it would be a shame to take him off the field.

If Fleener is the bpa than so be it, I just kinda hope he isn't as I would rather see more talent on the oline or in the WR core. Not at TE.

If we are drafting for depth, then my new darkhorse in round one is a defensive lineman. I think the Niners had a lot of injury luck last year, and would have struggled a bit more if Smith or McDonald went down. I like the youth they have in there, but that doesn't mean they are talented enough to make the impact the Niners need.

So your sugessting going even younger? D-Line is solid. Cowboy doesn't miss games. RJF can back-up all 3 positions. When Ray Mac got hurt, RJF filled in and the defense didnt miss a beat. Dobbs and Tukafu are young guys who showed potential and will only improve. There is no 5-Tech, nor NT worth taking at 30. Now if we trade up and we somehow managed to be in a position to grab Poe, I would literally cream my pants. But its not much in the first round as far as D-Line goes that would be much of a improvement over what we already have.

But we're in total agreement with Fleener. Just don't see how adding a third receiving TE threat improves our offense in the area that needs to be tweaked. Like I have discussed in here already, you can't march down the field in 3 TE sets every Sunday. And you can't split out TEs like they're WRs and think your going to get WR-like production on the outside. It wouldnt shocked me if we traded up. We're getting to the point where the holes on the roster are less and less. So not really a need for a full staple of picks. Especially if there's a select few players Baalke really has his eye on.

VAfy-ya
03-25-2012, 02:24 AM
Double post....

Rabscuttle
03-25-2012, 10:24 AM
I'd have no problems with Fleener if a guy like Hill wasn't there. A tight end that can sit down in the zone is such a boon to a quarterback. Fleener does that well and can also punish teams that go man.

What about a tackle like Martin if he becomes available at 30? I can see Davis really draining an opponent's will to come back out and face him for a full 60 if he's stuck in a phone booth with Davis.

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
03-25-2012, 10:33 AM
So your sugessting going even younger? D-Line is solid. Cowboy doesn't miss games. RJF can back-up all 3 positions. When Ray Mac got hurt, RJF filled in and the defense didnt miss a beat. Dobbs and Tukafu are young guys who showed potential and will only improve. There is no 5-Tech, nor NT worth taking at 30. Now if we trade up and we somehow managed to be in a position to grab Poe, I would literally cream my pants. But its not much in the first round as far as D-Line goes that would be much of a improvement over what we already have.

But we're in total agreement with Fleener. Just don't see how adding a third receiving TE threat improves our offense in the area that needs to be tweaked. Like I have discussed in here already, you can't march down the field in 3 TE sets every Sunday. And you can't split out TEs like they're WRs and think your going to get WR-like production on the outside. It wouldnt shocked me if we traded up. We're getting to the point where the holes on the roster are less and less. So not really a need for a full staple of picks. Especially if there's a select few players Baalke really has his eye on.

Why would the 49ers march out in 3 TE sets? Fleener would become the 2nd tight end. We know how much Harbaugh values the TE in his system and with the % of 2/3 TE plays that they run Fleener brings more value. He would improve the 49ers red zone woes with his size and (short term) Alex excels at throwing to his TEs. SF lined up Walker at 15 different spots last season and would love to see how they would utilize Fleener in the offense.

Walker only has a year left on his deal and will make $1.045. Which I don't think SF would mind paying as a 3rd TE and ST contributor.

VAfy-ya
03-25-2012, 01:18 PM
Why would the 49ers march out in 3 TE sets? Fleener would become the 2nd tight end. We know how much Harbaugh values the TE in his system and with the % of 2/3 TE plays that they run Fleener brings more value. He would improve the 49ers red zone woes with his size and (short term) Alex excels at throwing to his TEs. SF lined up Walker at 15 different spots last season and would love to see how they would utilize Fleener in the offense.

Walker only has a year left on his deal and will make $1.045. Which I don't think SF would mind paying as a 3rd TE and ST contributor.

I dont see Fleener starting over Walker. I just don't see a rookie being the 2nd TE over a vet who is one of your biggest playmakers on offense. So your essentially, drafting Fleener for what he could provide after Walker leaves(which isnt set in stone) in 2013. That seems like a waste of a top 30 pick.....to essentially red-shirt him for a year. Baalke's track record says he looks to get immediate contributions from his 1st rounder. Now Baalke has yet to have a draft pick towards the end of the 1st so it remains to be seen, what he expects from a #30 pick. But it still doesn't address need for this offense. A 2nd TE isn't a need. You only go BPA if your starters are pretty much intact. There is still a big ? at WR and OG. And what Baalke history tells is he defintely goes need with his first pick. I expect the pick to be one of those two positions, though I really hope its a WR. A TE is a luxury pick that I feel we dont have the luxury to take at this time. Guess we'll see on draft day, how it all unfolds.

49erNation85
03-25-2012, 02:14 PM
Lets just all hope that either Hill or Wright or maybe Jeffery is there at 30.I'm sure our coaching can put Jeffery back into shape and back on his game.

phlysac
03-25-2012, 02:34 PM
I dont see Fleener starting over Walker. I just don't see a rookie being the 2nd TE over a vet who is one of your biggest playmakers on offense. So your essentially, drafting Fleener for what he could provide after Walker leaves(which isnt set in stone) in 2013. That seems like a waste of a top 30 pick.....to essentially red-shirt him for a year. Baalke's track record says he looks to get immediate contributions from his 1st rounder. Now Baalke has yet to have a draft pick towards the end of the 1st so it remains to be seen, what he expects from a #30 pick. But it still doesn't address need for this offense. A 2nd TE isn't a need. You only go BPA if your starters are pretty much intact. There is still a big ? at WR and OG. And what Baalke history tells is he defintely goes need with his first pick. I expect the pick to be one of those two positions, though I really hope its a WR. A TE is a luxury pick that I feel we dont have the luxury to take at this time. Guess we'll see on draft day, how it all unfolds.

At 6'0" Walker isn't really a TE and never really has been. The majority of his contributions to the team have been when he is split or out of the backfield. And he's developed into a damn good blocker.

With that said, Walker playing a true H-Back role would work just fine with Fleener and Davis. Split him wide, put him in the backfield, slot, occasionally on the end of the line.

I would MUCH rather have Delanie Walker and Nate Byham at FB/TE/HBack than Justin Peele and Moran Norris.

phlysac
03-25-2012, 02:36 PM
Lets just all hope that either Hill or Wright or maybe Jeffery is there at 30.I'm sure our coaching can put Jeffery back into shape and back on his game.

I'm not sure how you could want Alshon Jeffery over Fleener. Fleener is bigger, faster, and a better fit in Harbaugh's offense.

Brent
03-25-2012, 02:37 PM
I think Fleener would really help with the god-awful third down conversion percentage. Also, the more weapons on the field, the better.

phlysac
03-25-2012, 02:44 PM
I think Fleener would really help with the god-awful third down conversion percentage. Also, the more weapons on the field, the better.

I was firmly in the "Fleener is too much of a luxury" camp last month. With the addition of Moss and Manningham, 2 players were added that SIGNIFICANTLY stretch the field more than last year's roster. Adding Fleener at #30 doesn't prevent the likelihood of adding more outside speed to the roster in later rounds. I, personally would MUCH rather a combination of Fleener/Streeter than Hill and a 4th round TE.

Brent
03-25-2012, 02:46 PM
I was firmly in the "Fleener is too much of a luxury" camp last month. With the addition of Moss and Manningham, 2 players were added that SIGNIFICANTLY stretch the field more than last year's roster. Adding Fleener at #30 doesn't prevent the likelihood of adding more outside speed to the roster in later rounds. I, personally would MUCH rather a combination of Fleener/Streeter than Hill and a 4th round TE.
I just want talent on the field. Watching ******* Brett Swain and Kyle Williams try to catch passes was grating. The most successful offenses have stupid amounts of talent on the field, we need that.

dan77733
03-25-2012, 02:51 PM
Davis/Walker/Byham is damn good but Davis/Fleener/Byham would be damn great. Huge difference between RB and TE. At RB, we have second year guy Hunter who should get more playing time so Gore can be rested in December and hopefully playoff time. TE wise, the main reason Fleener makes sense at 30 is because there's value in him at that spot, he already knows the offense Harbaugh runs, would be a Jimmy Graham type TE and when you match him up with Davis in the red zone, that will be a better combination than any rookie WR and Davis would be. Also, Walker is a good backup TE but could be a starter for some teams and may want that opportunity especially since he would get paid more money. As long as we have VD, Walker isnt going to start ahead of him. I think that if Fleener is there at 30, we should draft him and then trade Walker for the highest draft pick we can get. Because of his size, speed and red zone threat ability, Fleener is an upgrade over Walker plus he already knows Harbaugh's offense so its not like he'll need much time to learn it. Plus, he would be signed for five years which gives us an awesome TE combination for years to come and weapons for Smith/Johnson/Kaepernick.

Stephen Hill would be good at 30 but he would be a long term project and unless Moss does something stupid and gets released and if Manningham bombs, Hill would be a special teamer at best. 5th best at WR only ahead of Ginn because Ginn sucks as a WR. Between Hill and Fleener, I obviously would draft Fleener because it makes the most sense present and future for so many reasons. If Fleener is gone and Hill is still available, then I draft Hill. After them two, I would look at OG, that NT everyone thinks will go to PIT (forgot his name) if he's available or trade out of the first round with the hopes of some team wanting to trade back into the first round so we can get an extra first rounder next year. Those would be the five options I would be looking at.

phlysac
03-25-2012, 03:05 PM
I just want talent on the field. Watching ******* Brett Swain and Kyle Williams try to catch passes was grating. The most successful offenses have stupid amounts of talent on the field, we need that.

Completely agree. That's why I've changed my stance. It just makes sense to me. If Nate Byham is healthy, I'd much rather have 4 TE's on the roster that ALL clearly fit a needed role than 2 FBs of which one has ZERO role at all other than to let every single defensive player know that it's a run.

Role the dice with 1 FB and 4 TEs.

thediggler3030
03-25-2012, 10:20 PM

I don't think the Niner's would become significantly younger if they drafted an early round DE. That wasn't the point of my comment anyway.

I think its possible that the depth the Niners brought in last year (Dobbs, Williams and Tukuafu taking on a larger role) doesn't necessarily mean they were players the team is comfortable with, but instead that the Niners had a lot of holes on the team and had to prioritize. I'm not saying I don't like those young players, but I would be extremely uncomfortable if RJF and one of them were playing for significant stretches of time. Smith and Sop are getting old and McDonald has some durability concerns. I think we are kidding ourselves if we don't think DL is a possible high pick this year.

Lets be honest, the Niners have a 7th round pick and 3 undrafted players sitting behind a pro bowl caliber line. Don't tell me the D wouldn't be impacted if we had more significant injuries next year.

BTW, Ray McDonald was injured at times last year, but he only missed one entire game...

I think there are some interesting 3-4 prospects in this year's draft, some in round one and others later on. Kendall Reyes and Devon Still are certainly possibilities at 30.

I just wouldn't rule it out. DL is my dark horse position for the first round pick.

I personally don't want Poe that much. He isn't a natural fit in a two gap scheme.

phlysac
03-25-2012, 10:47 PM
Wished Fletcher Cox stood a chance to be there at 30. THEN I'd be all over the "DE at 30" bandwagon as well...

http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics32/640/TF/TFZQQDRXDIPKHDS.20111212162526.jpg

Love me some Fletcher Cox

VAfy-ya
03-26-2012, 10:42 AM

I think your giving MM and Moss way too much credit. We dont know what we'll get out of Moss. And Im a firm beliver alot of MM production was by product in the run and shoot passing principles which he played under in NY. I would never think we've addressed our WR woes with the addition of those two.

Im just not in the Fleener camp, sorry. I dont see the value he brings to a offense that is already very TE-dependant in the passing game. Moving Walker to more of a H-Back role is still esentially a 3-TE set that wont have much staying power if you dont address the play-making ability on the outside. And no, I dont think MM and Moss have adequtely addressed that. I dont think people watched MM closely with the Giants and excatly how he performed there. I honestly thought Morgan had more potential in this offense than MM. Dont get me wrong, we got great value for MM and at worst, he improves production in the slot. But I don't see this big time playmaker on the outside everyone is painting him to be. I hope he proves me wrong and I'll happily eat crow but the two year deal tells me Baalke isnt so sure either.

Goon61
03-26-2012, 11:48 AM
Yeh I agree with the above post because NE coach was caught saying in the SB lets force MM to beat us, implying that he really isn't that good.

The 49ers should draft at least one WR, but if they don't because their guy isn't there then at least we have the veterans to fall back on. If they do draft a WR, then hopefully they will find a way to get him on the field. At least now we have depth, and we won't have to see Brett Swain on the field.

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
03-26-2012, 12:26 PM
I think your giving MM and Moss way too much credit. We dont know what we'll get out of Moss. And Im a firm beliver alot of MM production was by product in the run and shoot passing principles which he played under in NY. I would never think we've addressed our WR woes with the addition of those two.

Im just not in the Fleener camp, sorry. I dont see the value he brings to a offense that is already very TE-dependant in the passing game. Moving Walker to more of a H-Back role is still esentially a 3-TE set that wont have much staying power if you dont address the play-making ability on the outside. And no, I dont think MM and Moss have adequtely addressed that. I dont think people watched MM closely with the Giants and excatly how he performed there. I honestly thought Morgan had more potential in this offense than MM. Dont get me wrong, we got great value for MM and at worst, he improves production in the slot. But I don't see this big time playmaker on the outside everyone is painting him to be. I hope he proves me wrong and I'll happily eat crow but the two year deal tells me Baalke isnt so sure either.

You concerns about Manningham are valid. Usually WR's with the type of track record that Manningham has had aren't successful, but we also don't know what type of premium Harbaugh/Baalke place on TEs. IMO I think with the mismatches they create a player, like Fleener, is more valued to the staff compared to a WR. Greg Cossell had a few tweets on this earlier today:
Asked about Fleener. Fluid route runner. Lateral quicks. Short area burst. Ability to attack vertical seams. Reminded me of HOU O. Daniels.

2 TE personnel, if both can catch, forces defense to declare. Do they play base, or nickel? Teams finally began treating Hernandez as WR.

Do receiving TE, even if not great LOS blockers, increase in value? Does Fleener, for instance, make sense for 49ers in 1st rd? Pair w/Davis

It also wouldn't surprise me if they feel that with the addition of Moss and Manningham that they have done enough to increase the speed on the outside along with what Vernon does down the middle of the field. Baalke also said at the draft he feels it is a pretty deep WR class:

http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2012/02/25/49ers-search-for-wr-may-not-start-at-the-top/
On Thursday at the NFL combine, though, general manager Trent Baalke said the wide-receiver pool is deep this year and a few of the more anonymous names will turn into productive pros.

“Some of those guys at the bottom end are going to end up being good players,” Baalke said. “You got to find out which of that group at the bottom of those 15 or 20 guys, which three or four are really going to springboard up and improve as a professional? That’s why we’re all here, to try to find that nugget that’s going to lead us to one of those guys.”

I liked Phlysac's point from earlier in the thread:
Adding Fleener at #30 doesn't prevent the likelihood of adding more outside speed to the roster in later rounds. I, personally would MUCH rather a combination of Fleener/Streeter than Hill and a 4th round TE.

49ersfan_87
03-26-2012, 02:15 PM
I don't think we'll take a DE early. McDonald has 4 years left on his contract, Smith has 2. And if Smith plays at even half the level he played in during 2011, i can't see us not extending him. So any high pick at DE would ride the bench for at least 2 years, maybe more, unless there's a significant injury to one of our starters. I could see us taking a mid to late round DE for depth, but i think the staff will ask- do we like this players potential over RJF and/or Dobbs? Dobbs was really impressive in pre-season but non-existent in games. Are the coaches confident he can make that transition to the regular season next year?

I could see us taking a NT early, provided the value. Sopoaga's contract is up next year. And entering 2013 (the 1st year of a new deal) Sopoaga will be 32. I don't think they'll sink long-term money into him.

If i had to rank our draftable needs this year (but not necessarily that we draft in this same order), i'd say

1- OG
2- WR
3- C
4- NT
5- RB
6- TE
7- OLB (Pass Rusher)
8- S

NT is a wildcard though...do we like Ian Williams potential? Do we want RJF to be the future NT? (His contract is also up after 2012).

VAfy-ya
03-26-2012, 02:16 PM
You make valid points WWBBD. And not because of Cosell, that guy talks out of his ass way too much for my liking. If Fleener is the pick, I would have no choice to get on board. Obviously that would mean Harbaalke valued his skill-set in this offense. But you dont neccesarily need a Fleener-type to do help the offense. Just a tall, natural pass-catching TE that could sit down and find the soft spots in a zone would be the perfect compliment to the skill-set of VD/Walker. A Jason Witten type would be perfect mesh with the uber athletic guys we already have. We have one of those already in Reuland. And another one of those guys can be added later.

And I think we have a better version of Hernandez in Walker. But NE lends more heavily on their passing offense and they use alot of spread principles, which allows Hernandez to get favorable mis-matches when he splits out wide. If Walker were in NE, he would have similar numbers/impact in their offense. I just think the way he was used here(left in back-field alot on 3rd downs to help in pass-protection), ppl tend to think he isnt as good as Hernandez, but he is.

phlysac
03-26-2012, 03:34 PM

Ability to stretch the field, and ability to be a game-changing WR are mutually exclusive. I want game-breaking ability out of the WRs. However, what Manningham and Moss bring is simply the ability to force CBs to turn and run. That alone, will open the center of the field.

VAfy-ya
03-26-2012, 07:11 PM
Ability to stretch the field, and ability to be a game-changing WR are mutually exclusive. I want game-breaking ability out of the WRs. However, what Manningham and Moss bring is simply the ability to force CBs to turn and run. That alone, will open the center of the field.

I'm not sold on the ability of either to do acheive this though. Moss two years ago, absolutely....Moss now, remains to be seen. MM, I never viewed as a deep threat. He's not a guy who scares a DB with his foot speed. What I like about MM is he's a savy route runner and he can make some tough grabs, something we haven't had on the outside here in a good little while. There's a reason Nicks and Cruz came along and made more of a impact. They're better athletes along the outside to go along with having a better understanding of the scheme they were using. MM was going against nickel DBs most of the time, as he was the third option behind Nicks and Cruz. I know BBD has stated he feels MM will thrived in a more simplified scheme like ours but my worry is he'll get handcuffed by #1 DBs.

VAfy-ya
03-26-2012, 07:38 PM

I think Williams has plenty of talent. I dont think lack of talent was the underlying problem. Alot of it had to do with the scheme and play-calling. And a ultra-conserative approach to 3rd downs. Hopefully a complete off-season helps iron out some of the kinks in the scheme. Biggest problem was the lack of depth after guys like Morgan and Braylon were sidelined.

thediggler3030
03-27-2012, 02:11 AM
So you all have made some decent points about Fleener, so I made a mock to see how much I could stomach it. I THINK I would be okay with this one:

1. Coby Fleener TE, Stanford
3. Brandon Washington OG, Miami
4. Tommy Streeter WR, Miami
5. Hebron Fangupo NT, BYU
6. Julian Miller OLB, West Virginia
7. Logan Herrell DE, Fresno St.

Still would prefer Hill in the first though. I just don't think they will grab him. The lack of a Niner scout at the Georgia Tech. pro day made me feel like they weren't interested.

VAfy-ya
03-28-2012, 11:23 PM
Going over some of the Pro Day results from various schools and Johnson Bademosi just jumped off the page. Great numbers. Was never that impressed with him on the field but seeing the success of two other Stanford products whose film I wasnt too high on in Sherman and Baldwin has me keeping a open mind this year. Hope Harbaalke made note of this and has Bademosi on their radar. At worst he's a prime canidate for some STs consideration since Spillman's role in the secondary is likely to increase.

phlysac
03-29-2012, 10:26 AM
So you all have made some decent points about Fleener, so I made a mock to see how much I could stomach it. I THINK I would be okay with this one:

4. Tommy Streeter WR, Miami
5. Hebron Fangupo NT, BYU
6. Julian Miller OLB, West Virginia
7. Logan Herrell DE, Fresno St.

Still would prefer Hill in the first though. I just don't think they will grab him. The lack of a Niner scout at the Georgia Tech. pro day made me feel like they weren't interested.

Would be very happy about the top-4

thediggler3030
03-29-2012, 11:03 PM
Would be very happy about the top-4

Not a fan of Fangupo? The guy has major upside.

phlysac
03-29-2012, 11:54 PM
Not a fan of Fangupo? The guy has major upside.

I don't think Fangio wants 2-gappers, either at 0 or 5 tech. He's short, short arms, yet doesn't get a ton of leverage. He's old. Mission work for 2 years out of highschool. 4 years of college plus a transfer year.

You're absolutely right about his upside. I'm just not "excited" about such a project at nose when we've barely even seen RJF and Ian Williams see the field yet.

I wouldn't be upset if he were selected though.

thediggler3030
03-30-2012, 02:06 AM
I don't think Fangio wants 2-gappers, either at 0 or 5 tech. He's short, short arms, yet doesn't get a ton of leverage. He's old. Mission work for 2 years out of highschool. 4 years of college plus a transfer year.

You're absolutely right about his upside. I'm just not "excited" about such a project at nose when we've barely even seen RJF and Ian Williams see the field yet.

I wouldn't be upset if he were selected though.

Fair enough. His age is a concern. Who are some late rounders you're looking at?

I really like following some high upside late round guys and seeing where they end up. Though the Niners seem to draft unknowns at the end of the draft some I don't have a ton of hope that they will draft the guys I am looking at. lol.

Brent
03-30-2012, 07:26 AM
Who are some late rounders you're looking at?
Considering how deep this WR class is, I am hoping that we can get T.Y. Hilton in the 6th. I love potential as a KR/PR and slot WR (Yes, I know that is not a need). Far more intriguing than keeping Kyle Williams around. And, because I am a total homer: Coryell Judie and Jeff Fuller. Though, the argument could be made that Terrence Frederick had a better season than Judie this past year.

thediggler3030
03-30-2012, 09:49 AM
Considering how deep this WR class is, I am hoping that we can get T.Y. Hilton in the 6th. I love potential as a KR/PR and slot WR (Yes, I know that is not a need). Far more intriguing than keeping Kyle Williams around. And, because I am a total homer: Coryell Judie and Jeff Fuller. Though, the argument could be made that Terrence Frederick had a better season than Judie this past year.

I LOVE T.Y. Hilton. He reminds me of Emmanuel Sanders. I think he goes in the 4th or 5th at the latest though, and most likely the 3rd.

edgrenade
03-30-2012, 05:46 PM
Here is a list of guys I see as a possibilty of being drafted @ 30, if they are there:

WR -- Wright, Hill, Jeffery (MAYBE)
TE -- Fleener
OG -- Konz, Zeitler

DT/DE -- Still
DE/OLB -- Branch, Perry

A couple weeks ago I would've had CB and RB, but they filled those in FA.

Anyone else I'm forgetting?

phlysac
03-30-2012, 05:56 PM
Here is a list of guys I see as a possibilty of being drafted @ 30, if they are there:

TE -- Fleener
OG -- Konz, Zeitler

DT/DE -- Still
DE/OLB -- Branch, Perry

Not "forgetting" people per se. We can only guess Baalke's board. Remember how shocked many/most of us were with the Culliver pick?

A name that is intriguing to me at #30 (whom I would've called you crazy last week) is Midwestern State LT Amini Silatolu.

thediggler3030
03-30-2012, 08:01 PM

TE -- Fleener
OG -- Konz, Zeitler

DT/DE -- Still
DE/OLB -- Branch, Perry

I would add Kendall Reyes.

The guy dominated at the Senior Bowl, surprisingly as a passrusher. Which just adds to the fact that he is dominant against the run.

He then blew up the combine with 36 bench press reps and then ran an unofficial 4.79 (4.95 official) 40 yard dash.

I think he has a higher upside than Still.

edgrenade
03-30-2012, 09:02 PM
I'm a big fan of Reyes, I just figured he's more of a 2nd rounder

Brent
03-30-2012, 09:17 PM
I've come to terms with the pick being Fleener, and I'm quite okay with it.

49ersfan_87
03-31-2012, 03:08 PM
I've come to terms with the pick being Fleener, and I'm quite okay with it.

You never know though. I mean last year, how many of our picks did people correctly predict? Even when we were on the clock at 7 i was expecting Quinn or Prince. Aldon came out of nowhere. The only picks that you could maybe see coming were Kaepernick and Ronald Johnson.

YAYareaRB
04-01-2012, 01:49 AM
Brian Quick in the 2nd!

Brent
04-01-2012, 08:10 AM
You never know though. I mean last year, how many of our picks did people correctly predict? Even when we were on the clock at 7 i was expecting Quinn or Prince. Aldon came out of nowhere. The only picks that you could maybe see coming were Kaepernick and Ronald Johnson.
After last year, I've given up hoping for players and just rolling with whatever Baalke goes with, but I would have been mad about Fleener if he were the pick, say, 3 months ago, but now I'm okay with him being the pick because none of the WRs in this draft really "wow" me.

Madirishman
04-01-2012, 10:46 AM
I'm starting to wonder if the Niners are targeting a player and might trade up in this Draft, should one fall a couple spots. They have been so active in FA and have re-signed so many players (entire starting D intact), brought back projects from the practice squad and added depth already (Cox, Jacobs, etc.) that they don't need to bring in a ton of draft picks. It's always good to have a few more guys to develop, but if there is a unique elite player - let's say Trent Richardson - that they want, I could see a scenario where they could move up and get him. Could you imagine their offensive potential and the post-Gore future with someone like Richardson at the helm? It's an enticing situation to say the least.

I'm not saying that I think it's a good idea to trade up, especially for a scenario to draft a RB high, but I wouldn't be shocked if they did something like that on Draft day, should a player they like slide down out of the Top 10 and into the teens. I could also see a scenario for Michael Floyd being in play as well.

Justone2
04-01-2012, 11:40 AM
I guess the most likely scenario is DeCastro if he falls because he can slide right in to the RG-position.

Brent
04-01-2012, 01:28 PM
Looking at the last few drafts, if they take a guy in the first, they expect him to start. Guard would make sense, but Dre Kirkpatrick or Stephon Gilmore would not be a shock either.

Could Shea McClellin play 3-4 OLB?

phlysac
04-01-2012, 04:35 PM
Looking at the last few drafts, if they take a guy in the first, they expect him to start. Guard would make sense, but Dre Kirkpatrick or Stephon Gilmore would not be a shock either.

Could Shea McClellin play 3-4 OLB?

Aldon Smith didn't start last year.

49ersfan_87
04-01-2012, 07:22 PM
Quick mock draft i just came up with, let me know what you think

1- Peter Konz, C/OG
2- Robert Turbin, RB
3- Joe Adams, WR/KR/PR
4- Trumaine Johnson, DB
5- Bruce Irvin, OLB
6- Ryan Broyles, WR
7- Kevin Roger, TE

phlysac
04-01-2012, 07:31 PM
Quick mock draft i just came up with, let me know what you think

1- Peter Konz, C/OG
2- Robert Turbin, RB
3- Joe Adams, WR/KR/PR
4- Trumaine Johnson, DB
5- Bruce Irvin, OLB
6- Ryan Broyles, WR
7- Kevin Roger, TE

I've fallen out of love with Konz because of his injury history. I hope Turbin isn't gone in 2.

Irvin dropping to 5?

Why another TE if not Fleener?

Brent
04-01-2012, 07:44 PM
Aldon Smith didn't start last year.

You're right, but he did play a ton of snaps.

YAYareaRB
04-01-2012, 07:49 PM
wait.. falling out of love with konz due to injury and loving on robert turbin?

phlysac
04-01-2012, 08:56 PM

Robert Turbin (whom would share carries 3 ways) tore his ACL and missed a season. He never missed a single game in 2008, 2009, or 2011.

Peter Konz (who would play every snap) has missed at least 2 games in every season he has played.

phlysac
04-01-2012, 08:58 PM

Robert Turbin (whom would share carries 3 ways) tore his ACL and missed a season. He never missed a single game in 2008, 2009, or 2011.

Peter Konz (who would play every snap) has missed at least 2 games in every season he has played. So he's played roughly 10 games a year in college. Now he'd be expected to stay healthy for 16-20 in the NFL. Yeah, I ropped my love for him. He's not a big, nasty, bull-dozer either, which I tend to fall for.

YAYareaRB
04-01-2012, 09:56 PM
I actually would like to have Turbin rather than Konz. I just thought it was funny seeing as both have gotten injured in the pass. We all know how drafting RBs with Torn ACLs works out for us..

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/432/667/51692353_display_image.jpg

phlysac
04-01-2012, 10:50 PM
I actually would like to have Turbin rather than Konz. I just thought it was funny seeing as both have gotten injured in the pass. We all know how drafting RBs with Torn ACLs works out for us..

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/432/667/51692353_display_image.jpg

Right. And I don't mean to dismiss a serious injury. It's just that I see consistent injuries, every season, as a potential "injurey-proneness" than 1 serious injury but consistent health every other season. Trying to be clear I guess.

Borat
04-02-2012, 02:29 AM
Here's where I'm at for the Niners with 4 weeks to go:

1. Coby Fleener - TE - Stanford

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/1202/nfl-draft-2012-top-prospects/images/41-coby-fleener.jpg

If he merely becomes a consistent redzone threat, he'd be worth it. We're talking about a team with a ready-made lineup at this point. They can draft for BPA or OG at this pick, or they can grab a constant mismatch in Fleener and create favorable matchups all over the field. I'm going with Fleener.

2. Brandon Boykin - DB - Georgia

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/imported_assets/827687/100111_boykin_pregame_dm_w800_h532.jpg

I think he's going to be a playmaker in the right defense. I think the 49ers are the right defense. He will benefit from the pressure the front 7 creates and I think he would be amazing for them.

3. Robert Turbin - RB - Utah State

http://cdn1.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/3442060/20120226_kdl_ss1_222_extra_large_large.jpg

He's coming in for a pre-draft workout. Maybe it's a smokescreen. Maybe it's not.

4. DaJohn Harris - DE - USC

http://images.onset.freedom.com/ocregister/article/lr9n0o-b78845601z.120110909102159000goo11snad.1.jpg

Developmental back-up with a good frame for the 3-4. I'm big on getting some draft stud to stand there and watch Justin Smith play all day. Good use of a redshirt year.

5. Ryan Broyles - WR - Oklahoma

http://blog.newsok.com/photo/files/2010/09/OU-VS-UTAH-STATE-3.jpg

This is a guy that I really liked before the injury. I think he's perfect for the West Coast Offense. But my plan would be to put him on IR the first year and basically redshirt him. Make sure he's healthy and give him a year to see the pro game. He wouldn't see the field at all really if they suited him up this year.

6. Olivier Vernon - OLB - Miami

http://media.247sports.com/Uploads/Recruit/183/6_201013.jpg

Risky pick. Very raw, but has a lot of ability. The right coach could make him great. In the sixth and seventh rounds, I'm basically looking at upside guys.

7. Dante Page-Moss - DE - UNC

http://www.dlcache.indiatimes.com/imageserve/07F0fPc4pbcOr/350x.jpg

See above. Welcome to the practice squad.

Notes: I ignored OG. I know. Outside of the first-second rounders, I just didn't like most of them. I think Kilgore/Person/FA will be fine for this year. Also, I really wanted to get Tommy Streeter in there. I would be OK with substituting Streeter for Turbin in the third or for Harris in the fourth if he somehow was still available.

binary
04-02-2012, 02:56 AM
Brian Quick in the 2nd!

Quick or Fleener would be sick.

thediggler3030
04-02-2012, 08:44 AM
I'm starting to wonder if the Niners are targeting a player and might trade up in this Draft, should one fall a couple spots. They have been so active in FA and have re-signed so many players (entire starting D intact), brought back projects from the practice squad and added depth already (Cox, Jacobs, etc.) that they don't need to bring in a ton of draft picks. It's always good to have a few more guys to develop, but if there is a unique elite player - let's say Trent Richardson - that they want, I could see a scenario where they could move up and get him. Could you imagine their offensive potential and the post-Gore future with someone like Richardson at the helm? It's an enticing situation to say the least.

I'm not saying that I think it's a good idea to trade up, especially for a scenario to draft a RB high, but I wouldn't be shocked if they did something like that on Draft day, should a player they like slide down out of the Top 10 and into the teens. I could also see a scenario for Michael Floyd being in play as well.

This.

Players I think they could be targeting/hoping to see fall:
Trent Richardson
David Decastro
Kendall Wright
Fletcher Cox
Nick Perry
Michael Floyd

I would not be surprised at all if the Niners moved up to the 18-23 range and nabbed one of those players.

VAfy-ya
04-02-2012, 09:18 PM
Only way I'd be happy with Fleener in the first is we managed to grab Marvin Jones in the second. Hill and Jones are the WRs I really covet in this draft so either one of them and I'm a happy camper.

YAYareaRB
04-02-2012, 10:36 PM
the more and more i think about the mismatches it will create, i'd love to get fleener in the 1st. he instantly improves our redzone targets and him VD and DWalk would create some awful mismatches for defenses. hes a stanford guy. its TOO perfect.

Brent
04-02-2012, 10:46 PM
If not Fleener, Janoris Jenkins would be cool at 30.

YAYareaRB
04-02-2012, 11:02 PM
whats the beat on jenkins? he seems like so much of a wildcard. i just dont know what to make of him and i've actually seen him play(same conference).

YAYareaRB
04-02-2012, 11:03 PM
1. Trade for an early 2nd and 4th?
2. Kevin Zeitler OG, Wisconsin
2. Chris Givens WR, Wake Forest
3. Josh Robinson CB, UCF
4. Kheeston Randall DL, Texas
4. Juron Criner WR, Arizona
5. Janzen Jackson DB, Tennessee
6. Donald Stephenson OT, Oklahoma
7. Brandon Bolden HB, Ole Miss

VAfy-ya
04-02-2012, 11:44 PM
If not Fleener, Janoris Jenkins would be cool at 30.

As gifted as they come, but a headcase off the field. Then agin, we signed Perrish Cox so idk what our view is on character at the moment.

phlysac
04-03-2012, 12:03 AM
As gifted as they come, but a headcase off the field. Then agin, we signed Perrish Cox so idk what our view is on character at the moment.

Which is why Jenkins seems like a longshot. Why pair the two together? One or the other? Fine, but using them both? Scary.

Menardo75
04-03-2012, 12:21 AM
The closer we get to the draft the stronger feeling I have that the Niners will either trade up or down out of this pick.

49ersfan_87
04-04-2012, 12:51 PM
New mock (assuming Kilgore is the starter at RG). Tried to make it more realistic. Let me know if you guys like it or hate it!

Round 1- Devon Still, DL (Backs up all 3 positions, takes over for Sopoaga in 2013)
Round 2- Marvin Jones, WR
Round 3- Robert Turbin, RB
Round 4- Josh Norman, DB
Round 5- Olivier Vernon, OLB
Round 6- Ryan Broyles, WR
Round 7- Chris Anzevino, C

YAYareaRB
04-04-2012, 01:46 PM
Whats the word on Kilgore. I know they traded up to get him so they must feel pretty good about him. Is he the clear cut starter because they keep bringing in guards on visits

nvm. just read a tidbit on the guard competition. hopefully the competition brings out the animal in kilgore that many scouts have commented on when he was coming out. given the recent news, ill probably have a new mock.

do we still trade back to pick up more picks? or just take BPA? so many possibilities but i guess its a good thing that we dont have any glaring weaknesses across the board.

Rabscuttle
04-04-2012, 04:12 PM
New mock (assuming Kilgore is the starter at RG). Tried to make it more realistic. Let me know if you guys like it or hate it!

Round 1- Devon Still, DL (Backs up all 3 positions, takes over for Sopoaga in 2013)
Round 4- Josh Norman, DB

Don't no much abotu 4th or 7th rounders but I like the rest. Still could really blow up with Tomsula's coaching. Jones and Turbin could both be great fits and Broyles would be worth the look. Vernon just has steal written all over him.

YAYareaRB
04-04-2012, 04:16 PM
I also want Ryan Broyles in later rounds. i think he could be a nice addition if that knee if fully healed

Madirishman
04-04-2012, 07:50 PM
The closer we get to the draft the stronger feeling I have that the Niners will either trade up or down out of this pick.

Yes, I feel that their gameplan will include one of these scenarios, especially with their first round position.

Madirishman
04-04-2012, 07:51 PM
Which is why Jenkins seems like a longshot. Why pair the two together? One or the other? Fine, but using them both? Scary.

If they were concerned about the combo, then they could simply cut Cox after drafting Jenkins, keeping him in the mix.

VAfy-ya
04-07-2012, 12:35 AM
Some ACC guys I think could be steals in the middle-late rounds at OG: Brandon Washington from Miami, Joe Looney from Wake Forest, and Austin Pasztor from UVA.

dan77733
04-07-2012, 12:47 AM
Less than three weeks until the Draft!!! :)

Shupp
04-07-2012, 01:34 PM

Round 4- Josh Norman, DB

Loving Turbin in the 3rd, the rest I would be slightly disappointed with.

Shupp
04-07-2012, 01:40 PM
Hey we moved up one position in the 2nd round thanks to NO!

Shupp
04-07-2012, 01:41 PM
Less than three weeks until the Draft!!! :)

I'm starting to hope for Janoris Jenkins.....must be a sign of draft exhaustion..

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
04-07-2012, 07:05 PM
Hey we moved up one position in the 2nd round thanks to NO!

Also moved up in round 3 thanks to the Raiders taking Pryor in the Supp. draft.

chapo123
04-08-2012, 03:14 PM
new mock draft:

1. stephen hill - wr

2. ronnell lewis - olb/de

3. robert turbin - rb

4. michael brewster - c

5. trenton robinson - fs

6. joe looney - g

7. keith tandy - cb

VAfy-ya
04-08-2012, 05:34 PM
new mock draft:

1. stephen hill - wr

3. robert turbin - rb

4. michael brewster - c

5. trenton robinson - fs

6. joe looney - g

7. keith tandy - cb

Im not a big lewis fan, especially not there. Not really sold on his true position at the next level. No way would I spend a 2nd on him. I could live with everything else though.

Shupp
04-08-2012, 07:02 PM
new mock draft:

1. stephen hill - wr

3. robert turbin - rb

4. michael brewster - c

5. trenton robinson - fs

6. joe looney - g

7. keith tandy - cb

Hill and Turbin are by far the players most often mocked to us in this forum and I hope we are right.

Shupp
04-08-2012, 07:30 PM
1. Stephen Hill

2. Amini Silatolu

3. Robert Turbin

4. Best DL/DB available

phlysac
04-08-2012, 07:35 PM
1. Stephen Hill

2. Amini Silatolu

3. Robert Turbin

4. Best DL/DB available

If Hill, Silatolu, and Turbin are 1,2,3 I will pass out and they can cancel the rest of the draft.

:splooge:

VAfy-ya
04-08-2012, 10:14 PM
If Hill, Silatolu, and Turbin are 1,2,3 I will pass out and they can cancel the rest of the draft.

:splooge:

Subsitute either Gilmore or Boykins in the second and yes, I will be playing Prince's "Delirious" on repeat.

Brent
04-09-2012, 06:21 AM
I really like Boykins, too.

phlysac
04-09-2012, 06:51 AM
I really like Boykins, too.

Love me some Earl.

VAfy-ya
04-09-2012, 07:56 AM
I really want Gilmore. He's the one DB I really covet, even more so than Kilpatrick and Claiborne. I think the kid is going be special at the next level. I highly doubt he makes it to our pick in the second but I can hope and dream.

Boykin I like because I think he can be a really good guy over the slot. A little smallish for my taste but I like his nose for the ball and his ability in man coverage.

Brent
04-09-2012, 09:27 AM
I still think Janoris Jenkins makes a lot of sense if he's available at 30. If the Niners were willing to sign Parrish Cox, clearly "character issues" (vastly overblown in Janoris' case) are not a concern.

Menardo75
04-09-2012, 09:57 AM
Just saw today that Michael Floyd is visiting with the Niners next week. Could we possibly be trading up to get him. I think it would be a great move he's exactly what the WR corps needs.

VAfy-ya
04-09-2012, 09:59 AM
I still think Janoris Jenkins makes a lot of sense if he's available at 30. If the Niners were willing to sign Parrish Cox, clearly "character issues" (vastly overblown in Janoris' case) are not a concern.

I dont think they were "vastly" overblown. Three drug arrests aren't "vastly" overblown. Kid has a history of dumb behavior since high school. Giving a kid who has a history of making the wrong decision money is like throwing gasoline on a fire. Look what it did for guys like Cox, Pacman, and Dez Bryant. The pattern continued, on a even bigger scale. I could see your point if it were one incident. Its been more than one. Not saying that the kid is rotten to the core but by no means do you just say his troubles off the field are overblown and proceed as normal.

And considering his agent just fired him(yes, NOT the other way around), I hope we stay as far away from him as possible.

hawkeye123
04-09-2012, 04:20 PM
I really want Gilmore. He's the one DB I really covet, even more so than Kilpatrick and Claiborne. I think the kid is going be special at the next level. I highly doubt he makes it to our pick in the second but I can hope and dream.

Boykin I like because I think he can be a really good guy over the slot. A little smallish for my taste but I like his nose for the ball and his ability in man coverage.

Agreed about Gilmore, he has done exceptionally well against guys like AJ Green and Julio Jones.

VAfy-ya
04-09-2012, 05:04 PM
Just saw today that Michael Floyd is visiting with the Niners next week. Could we possibly be trading up to get him. I think it would be a great move he's exactly what the WR corps needs.

I think its means very little. We always schedule visits with guys expected to be gone before we pick. I think we interviewed Von Miller, Dareus, and AJ Green from last year's draft. Everything is smokescreen while Yoda Baalke uses the ways of The Force behind the scenes.

Menardo75
04-09-2012, 09:37 PM
I think its means very little. We always schedule visits with guys expected to be gone before we pick. I think we interviewed Von Miller, Dareus, and AJ Green from last year's draft. Everything is smokescreen while Yoda Baalke uses the ways of The Force behind the scenes.

I would take this a little more seriously since the Niners are the only team past pick 15 he is visiting.

VAfy-ya
04-09-2012, 11:52 PM
I would take this a little more seriously since the Niners are the only team past pick 15 he is visiting.

Just seems a little too straight-foward for Baalke. This FO is very careful about not tipping their hand when it comes to personel. No one knew All-Done was on our radar last year. No one knew we brought in a guy like Cully and worked him out and did some board work with him until weeks after the draft. No one knew we had a scout go out to Florida and workout Bruce Miller at FB. This regime runs a tight ship as far as who their targeting in regards to potential prospects. If Floyd were really on their radar, I doubt they would annonunce their bringing him in for a visit. Not saying that Baalke wouldnt draft him if he fell, but I doubt it means they are looking at trading up because he came in to visit. I have no idea what Baalke has in store come draft day......and I absolutely love it.

FrankGore
04-10-2012, 12:14 AM
Yeah, whatever happens will be done very quietly. My best guess now is Fleener, Hill, Randle, Wright or one of the interior OL.

Shupp
04-10-2012, 11:03 PM
Yeah, whatever happens will be done very quietly. My best guess now is Fleener, Hill, Randle, Wright or one of the interior OL.

I really do not want Randle or Jeffrey, I've seen enough receivers with average speed (read as slow), I want somebody with wheels for a change. I'm torn on Kendall Wright...if it was between Kendall and Fleener I guess I would go Kendall.

jojo
04-11-2012, 05:27 PM
I'm thinking it's going to be Fleener unless somebody else takes him 1st. Delanie Walker had a mega-bad injury, Harbaugh shifted 2-3 TEs around all those plays early last yr (who was he fooling? idk) & of course he played for him.

If he misses on Fleener I agree with whoever said a TE in mid-later rds

FrankGore
04-12-2012, 12:38 AM
I really do not want Randle or Jeffrey, I've seen enough receivers with average speed (read as slow), I want somebody with wheels for a change. I'm torn on Kendall Wright...if it was between Kendall and Fleener I guess I would go Kendall.

I don't think Randle is slow at all, he's a low 4.5s guy and plenty of those guys make it big in the NFL. He had no problem getting behind SEC DBs and creating good separation. He has a good feel for the position and actually separates more than Stephen Hill at this point.

My biggest concerns with Randle are the body catching which he has to clean up, and the 31 inch vert. The vert is an index of explosiveness and he doesn't really have what you look for...I think he starts in the NFL and can be a Donald Driver type though.

49erNation85
04-12-2012, 09:10 AM
Wright is not making it to 30 I give it that. I think IMO we go after either Hill or Fleener with Jimbaugh and his Stanford guy ..

Madirishman
04-12-2012, 10:17 AM
Hill was on NFL Live yesterday and admitted he grew up as a Falcons fan. They asked him specifically about t he Niners (since he's being mocked to us by Kiper and McShay) and he didn't seem overly excited at the thought of donning the gold helmet, answering in an uninspiring tone and not saying much. Didn't really win me over as I want guys who WANT to be Niners. Patrick Willis is a phenomenal example of someone who wanted to be there. Crabtree is an example of someone who appeared to be indifferent. Just saying.

david_581
04-12-2012, 08:13 PM
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=7805692

Coby Fleener - Sport Science

That Tight End is a freak.

Brent
04-12-2012, 08:19 PM
Coby Fleener - Sport Science

That Tight End is a freak.
Alex could really use that.

david_581
04-12-2012, 08:21 PM
Alex could really use that.

Imagine what Kaepernick can do with that by the time he starts :evil_laugh:

Shupp
04-12-2012, 09:12 PM
Stephen Hill scheduled to visit this weekend, hopefully he will be back here in 2 weeks for the press conference.

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
04-12-2012, 09:50 PM
Grant Cohn's latest mock suggests the 49ers swap 1st, trade 2nd and a 4th to Bengals for Coby Fleener.
http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2012/04/inside-the-49ers/mock-draft-2-0-the-niners-trade-up-to-pick-no-17/

Apple doesn't fall far from the tree. I think the highest Fleener goes is at 24and all it would take to get to pick #23 is a 1st, 3rd, and 5th. Not saying I would do that trade, just saying I think Grant Cohn is going over the top with his trade idea.

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
04-12-2012, 09:53 PM
Sac Bee reports Malcom Floyd's scheduled visit was cancelled. Thought he would like to see the ground work for the new stadium that will be ready when he hits the FA market. :D

Shupp
04-12-2012, 10:29 PM
Grant Cohn's latest mock suggests the 49ers swap 1st, trade 2nd and a 4th to Bengals for Coby Fleener.
http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2012/04/inside-the-49ers/mock-draft-2-0-the-niners-trade-up-to-pick-no-17/

Apple doesn't fall far from the tree. I think the highest Fleener goes is at 24and all it would take to get to pick #23 is a 1st, 3rd, and 5th. Not saying I would do that trade, just saying I think Grant Cohn is going over the top with his trade idea.

Oh please no!!! This would be horrible! 2nd round picks are gold I tell you. Taking Fleener at 30 is one thing, giving up the farm for him is another. I do like the possibility of Marvin Jones in the third to take that choke artists, Kyle Williams' roster spot.

Menardo75
04-12-2012, 10:39 PM

Yeah the only way I see the Niners taking Fleener is if he falls to them. I think the only guy I could see them trading up for would be either, DeCastro, Floyd, or Poe.

Shupp
04-12-2012, 11:04 PM
Yeah the only way I see the Niners taking Fleener is if he falls to them. I think the only guy I could see them trading up for would be either, DeCastro, Floyd, or Poe.

I think that's about right. I could see them moving up a few spots for a couple other guys, maybe Gilmore, Glenn, or Brockers, but not more than 3 or 4 spots. Going from 30 to say 26 would still cost a 3rd rounder probably though....Not a fan a trading up at all unless there is a great value to be had. Fleener at 17 is definitely not that..

Shupp
04-12-2012, 11:06 PM
Trade Crabtree to Dallas for their pick!! Take DeCastro there and then draft Fleener/Hill @ 30!! It's so nice to dream...

Shupp
04-12-2012, 11:10 PM
2 Thursdays from now we will be picking right about at this time....

Menardo75
04-13-2012, 10:08 AM
After tonight the Niners will have met with, Randle, Wright, and Hill. It sounds like Wright's stock is down right now there could be a chance he slips to the Niners.

Madirishman
04-13-2012, 01:18 PM
No trading up for Fleener. He's a talent but he's still a borderline first round prospect IMO. If he falls to 30, then it's their call but none of this 3 picks to trade up for a TE when we already have an All-Pro talent at the same position on the roster. If they trade 3 picks, they need to do it for Richardson, and THAT is still extremely risky.

Shupp
04-13-2012, 09:33 PM
With the possibility of moving Anthony Davis to Guard what do you guys think about the possibility of drafting Mike Adams to play RT? Do you think he's a good value at #30?

Shupp
04-13-2012, 09:53 PM
I don't think Randle is slow at all, he's a low 4.5s guy and plenty of those guys make it big in the NFL. He had no problem getting behind SEC DBs and creating good separation. He has a good feel for the position and actually separates more than Stephen Hill at this point.

My biggest concerns with Randle are the body catching which he has to clean up, and the 31 inch vert. The vert is an index of explosiveness and he doesn't really have what you look for...I think he starts in the NFL and can be a Donald Driver type though.

Can Randle do anything that Crabtree can't do? I think they are similar in that they can do a lot of things but are not explosive.

Shupp
04-13-2012, 10:01 PM
OK so lets say the board doesn't fall all that great for us but we ca't find a trade partner to move back, who do you pick in these situations?

Hypothetical 1: Top players left on our board are; Randle, Konk, and Zeitler

Hypo 2: Jenkins, Adams, Glenn

Which would you take in each Hypo?

I go Konk in 1 and Glenn in 2 I guess.

phlysac
04-13-2012, 11:33 PM
OK so lets say the board doesn't fall all that great for us but we ca't find a trade partner to move back, who do you pick in these situations?

1. Zeitler
2. Glenn

2 > 1

phlysac
04-13-2012, 11:34 PM
With the possibility of moving Anthony Davis to Guard what do you guys think about the possibility of drafting Mike Adams to play RT? Do you think he's a good value at #30?

Just my opinion...

Anthony Davis > Alex Boone > Mike Adams.

Adams is a much better prospect than Boone was coming out, but Boone has put all of his red-flags to bed and is truly a good NFL OT.

Shupp
04-14-2012, 12:30 AM
1. Zeitler
2. Glenn

2 > 1

Talk about a huge line if Glenn starts at RG....wow. Gore would be doing back flips (hopefully not really, we need Gore healthy..)

Rabscuttle
04-14-2012, 10:01 AM

1)Randle - but jump on a decent trade offer
2)Glenn

Brent
04-14-2012, 11:59 AM
1) hope for someone looking to trade back into first.
2) Jenkins

jojo
04-14-2012, 02:43 PM

Glenn won't be there in rd. 2, & might not be there at the 49ers rd. 1 spot. His stock is rising fast largely b/c he is large, 6-6, 347. He lacks eperience but so does every other jr.

He is the #2-ranked OG & would be preferable to another yr. of Chilo Rachal suckage.

farfromforgotten
04-14-2012, 03:11 PM
I believe that's two different hypothetical sets of players that might be available at the end of round 1, jojo.

VAfy-ya
04-14-2012, 06:16 PM
Hill was on NFL Live yesterday and admitted he grew up as a Falcons fan. They asked him specifically about t he Niners (since he's being mocked to us by Kiper and McShay) and he didn't seem overly excited at the thought of donning the gold helmet, answering in an uninspiring tone and not saying much. Didn't really win me over as I want guys who WANT to be Niners. Patrick Willis is a phenomenal example of someone who wanted to be there. Crabtree is an example of someone who appeared to be indifferent. Just saying.

I think your reading waaaaaay too much into it. I saw it too. He gave a pc answer like a professional should have. Didnt see anything that indicates he doesn't want to be a Niner. People see and believe what they want. He also gave us a compliment. Why is that when it comes to WR, ppl always want guys to have Niner Love coming out of their pores? Just because a guy doesn't do backflips when our name is mentioned, doesn't mean he's less than thrilled at the prospect of being a Niner. I saw nothing wrong with what he said.

jojo
04-14-2012, 06:30 PM
I believe that's two different hypothetical sets of players that might be available at the end of round 1, jojo.

I meant Glenn might not be available in 1 or 2, added the word not in edit.

Then Konk in rd. 1 & Glenn in 2.

Shupp
04-14-2012, 07:08 PM
I think this would be how I would rank these players..what do you guys think? and who would you add to the list (of those with a decent chance to get to 30..)

Hill
Wright
Fleener
Brockers
Glenn
Konz
Zeitler
Adams
Randle
Thompson

VAfy-ya
04-14-2012, 08:21 PM
Im sorry, I like Randle but I DO NOT see first round talent. Much more impressed with a guy like Marvin Jones than Randle. I wouldnt be upset if Randle became a Niner. But I would be totally pissed if he was our pick at 30.

And also, I had the weirdest dream that we picked Doug Martin at #30....

Shupp
04-14-2012, 09:55 PM
Im sorry, I like Randle but I DO NOT see first round talent. Much more impressed with a guy like Marvin Jones than Randle. I wouldnt be upset if Randle became a Niner. But I would be totally pissed if he was our pick at 30.

And also, I had the weirdest dream that we picked Doug Martin at #30....

I have Randle pretty far down there so I wouldn't be happy either. Doug Martin wouldn't surprise me too much but I wouldnt like it. Gore, Kendall, Jacobs, and a mid round rookie sounds good to me.

Madirishman
04-15-2012, 01:35 AM
I think your reading waaaaaay too much into it. I saw it too. He gave a pc answer like a professional should have. Didnt see anything that indicates he doesn't want to be a Niner. People see and believe what they want. He also gave us a compliment. Why is that when it comes to WR, ppl always want guys to have Niner Love coming out of their pores? Just because a guy doesn't do backflips when our name is mentioned, doesn't mean he's less than thrilled at the prospect of being a Niner. I saw nothing wrong with what he said.

I still want them to take him and he was trying to be pc with them even noting his agent was just off-camera coaching him, but he got a lot more excited taking about the Falcons. Didn't sit well with me but it's not a deal-breaker for them drafting him in my eyes. Just interesting to see what they may have to work with since he's a 'developmental' guy.

Shupp
04-15-2012, 02:53 AM
I still want them to take him and he was trying to be pc with them even noting his agent was just off-camera coaching him, but he got a lot more excited taking about the Falcons. Didn't sit well with me but it's not a deal-breaker for them drafting him in my eyes. Just interesting to see what they may have to work with since he's a 'developmental' guy.

Yeah I mean these guys are young, not everybody is going to be smooth and comfortable on camera, especially ESPN. He seems like a solid person to me, he doesn't have to be in love with all 32 teams does he?

Shupp
04-15-2012, 02:54 AM

They should have been asking him about CLE or HOU apparently, nobody has him slipping to 30 anymore....only time will tell.

Shupp
04-15-2012, 03:25 AM
What do you guys think would be the best barometer for us on draft day (ie a player or position that comes off the board either early or late) that would increase our chances of getting the player we want @ 30? 2 players came to mind....Michael Floyd and Jonathan Martin and for different reasons...

If Michael Floyd starts to slip to late teens-early 20's then it makes it much more likely that either Wright, Hill, or Fleener are available @ 30. Conversely, if Floyd is off the board by 10 then it's not nearly as likely that we will have as many, if any, of those 3 players available @ 30.

If Jonathan Martin ( Who I do not want) goes early then it leaves one more OL on the board that we may covet...Martin is mocked anywhere from early teens to the 2nd round...ARZ could take him for instance, increasing our chances of Glenn lasting till 30...I would also say that Mike Adams being drafted early helps us in the same respect.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
04-15-2012, 03:31 AM

Think about it in your shoes, if someone told you that you had a chance to be drafted by the Niners, you'd light up and be super excited. If they asked you about a different team, say the Seahawks or Rams, you'd definitely be less excited. That doesn't mean you won't give your all for those two teams.

Madirishman
04-15-2012, 12:16 PM
Think about it in your shoes, if someone told you that you had a chance to be drafted by the Niners, you'd light up and be super excited. If they asked you about a different team, say the Seahawks or Rams, you'd definitely be less excited. That doesn't mean you won't give your all for those two teams.

Nah, if I was all but a lock to go in the first round and therefore was going to get paid millions of dollars to play football, I'd be overjoyed and happy to talk about any team. But then again, I have a PR/public speaking background. These guys are just athletes. I get it. Like I noted, it's not a deal breaker for drafting him by any means but I do remember the pre-draft demeanor of Willis and Crabtree and neither of them were Niners fans but they sure seemed to have different attitudes about going to the team. We'll chalk it up to youth and the diva WR stereotype that they're never really happy. Haha

VAfy-ya
04-15-2012, 02:57 PM
Nah, if I was all but a lock to go in the first round and therefore was going to get paid millions of dollars to play football, I'd be overjoyed and happy to talk about any team. But then again, I have a PR/public speaking background. These guys are just athletes. I get it. Like I noted, it's not a deal breaker for drafting him by any means but I do remember the pre-draft demeanor of Willis and Crabtree and neither of them were Niners fans but they sure seemed to have different attitudes about going to the team. We'll chalk it up to youth and the diva WR stereotype that they're never really happy. Haha

I dont recall Crabs having any disposition about being a Niner. But being as he's from Dallas and is probably a huge Cowboys fan, he probably hated the Niners growing up. I dont care if I was a on cusp of being a NFL player and making millions of dollars, I dont think I could smile with a straight face and say I would love to be a Cowboy, as I hate that team. I'd probably be trying to do everything I could behind the scenes to ensure they didnt draft me to be honest. But that's just me....

Shupp
04-15-2012, 03:01 PM
I dont recall Crabs having any disposition about being a Niner. But being as he's from Dallas and is probably a huge Cowboys fan, he probably hated the Niners growing up. I dont care if I was a on cusp of being a NFL player and making millions of dollars, I dont think I could smile with a straight face and say I would love to be a Cowboy, as I hate that team. I'd probably be trying to do everything I could behind the scenes to ensure they didnt draft me to be honest. But that's just me....

Man I don't think I could pretend to be excited to go to the Raiders for any amount of money...

Brent
04-15-2012, 03:23 PM
That is until they give you that first paycheck. It's a business, boys.

phlysac
04-15-2012, 03:50 PM
If players like Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers can say how truly upset they were not to go to their favorite team, then it's only fair for a player to express how much they love their hometown team (which for Hill is the Falcons.) I'm sure the Patriots and Packers are upset that their QBs would've killed to be 49ers.

VAfy-ya
04-15-2012, 06:12 PM
If players like Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers can say how truly upset they were not to go to their favorite team, then it's only fair for a player to express how much they love their hometown team (which for Hill is the Falcons.) I'm sure the Patriots and Packers are upset that their QBs would've killed to be 49ers.

Excatly. No one is saying you wouldnt play your heart out for whatever team picked you. But its nothing wrong with being honest. You can be professional and still have an opinion. Do ppl even bring up Eli manipulating the draft so he could land in NY, his preference? No because it really isnt a big deal in the grand scheme of things. Just like ppl dont talk about how Elway didnt want to be a Colt back in the day. Nothing wrong with being honest about where you want to play ball. People kill me with this 'holier than thou' attitude these kids should just be happy they're getting drafted and get to be millionaires from playing a sport. But in any other profession, if your good enough to be considered elite in that profession, you usually have your pick of job offers to chose from.

farfromforgotten
04-15-2012, 06:44 PM
Ehh, that still pisses me off about Eli. Maybe I'm the only one. You get to pick where you play College ball at, not the Pro's. I can understand College kids having a preference of where to play, I'm sure a lot of kids would want to play closer to where they grew up and for the team they root for.

Shupp
04-15-2012, 07:56 PM
Why is Scott's countdown clock off every year?? If the name of your site is draft countdown you might want to get the actual countdown right....

VAfy-ya
04-15-2012, 08:50 PM
Ehh, that still pisses me off about Eli. Maybe I'm the only one. You get to pick where you play College ball at, not the Pro's. I can understand College kids having a preference of where to play, I'm sure a lot of kids would want to play closer to where they grew up and for the team they root for.

It pissed me off at the time because I didnt like the politics of it, but when I looked at it now, it wasn't that big of a deal. What GM really wants to draft a player that hell bent on not playing for you? Better off just making a deal, getting fair compensation and making both parties happy.

phlysac
04-15-2012, 09:29 PM
It pissed me off at the time because I didnt like the politics of it, but when I looked at it now, it wasn't that big of a deal. What GM really wants to draft a player that hell bent on not playing for you? Better off just making a deal, getting fair compensation and making both parties happy.

And Marty Schottenheimer wanted Philip Rivers anyways.

Shupp
04-15-2012, 09:42 PM
Wow this thread is losing a little steam

phlysac
04-15-2012, 09:58 PM
If you were Trent Baalke, would you trade 1(30), 2(61), and 3(92) to move up 15 spots for David DeCastro?

Shupp
04-15-2012, 11:25 PM
If you were Trent Baalke, would you trade 1(30), 2(61), and 3(92) to move up 15 spots for David DeCastro?

Damn that's expensive but about right according to the trade chart.....I would not make this trade unless.....something really weird happened and Fleener, Hill, and Glenn came off the board by that time, then I would think about it but probably abstain.

It would only cost us a 3rd rounder to move up to #25 though and I think we possibly may want to do that

farfromforgotten
04-15-2012, 11:29 PM
I wouldn't. Love DeCastro and he's about as much of a "can't miss" prospect as anyone in this draft, but he's still a Guard. I would rather have the picks. While every other starting position on the team seems to be set for now, that could change pretty quickly... we don't know how Moss will do, we don't know if Crabtree will progress to be the WR that many felt he could be coming out of College. Will Rogers be as good as last year? Will Cox be able to behave himself?

I'd like the 1st 3 rds to consist of a WR, G, and CB. Don't care which order, just the bpa at each of those positions. WRs that may fall to us in rd1 I would want are just Hill and Wright at this point. I'd also be good with Fleener if those 2 are gone. OGs I'm not sure i'd want any in the 1st other than DeCastro or Glenn and I don't think either falls to 30. Would hopefully look for a good value in the 2nd there. CBs would pretty much only be Gilmore at this point in the 1st, but I'm sure he's going earlier as well with Jenkins not being able to keep his **** together.

I didn't really make too much of a convincing argument with myself there, lol. I'm scared that none of the guys I'm interested in @30 are going to be there now. Wright, Hill, Fleener, and Gilmore could all realistically be gone. If that's the case and we end up with a guy like Zeitler, Randle, or Jenkins in rd1 I guess i'd rather have the DeCastro trade then. I'm torn and its late and I'm rambling... lol. What do you think, Phly?

phlysac
04-16-2012, 12:38 AM
I didn't really make too much of a convincing argument with myself there, lol. I'm scared that none of the guys I'm interested in @30 are going to be there now. Wright, Hill, Fleener, and Gilmore could all realistically be gone. If that's the case and we end up with a guy like Zeitler, Randle, or Jenkins in rd1 I guess i'd rather have the DeCastro trade then. I'm torn and its late and I'm rambling... lol. What do you think, Phly?

This is precisely where I'm at. I'm thinking there's a great chance that noone available at #30 is rated much higher than anyone they could get at #61. If that's the case, why not trade up to get, perhaps, the best prospect in memory at the only position you have a glaring need.

It is alot to pay. But 20 of 22 starters return and one was replaced with Mario Manningham/Randy Moss. So 21 starters. Maybe 4 drafted players will make the final roster.

Preemptive strike.

But the main reason I asked was because of the forum mock.

I traded a 1st, 2nd, and 4th to move up to #14 and picked DeCastro.

Keeps a 3rd where I can potentially target a WR that has a similar skill-set/ranking to that of Reuben Randle, etc.

Shupp
04-16-2012, 02:19 AM
This is precisely where I'm at. I'm thinking there's a great chance that noone available at #30 is rated much higher than anyone they could get at #61. If that's the case, why not trade up to get, perhaps, the best prospect in memory at the only position you have a glaring need.

It is alot to pay. But 20 of 22 starters return and one was replaced with Mario Manningham/Randy Moss. So 21 starters. Maybe 4 drafted players will make the final roster.

Preemptive strike.

But the main reason I asked was because of the forum mock.

I traded a 1st, 2nd, and 4th to move up to #14 and picked DeCastro.

Keeps a 3rd where I can potentially target a WR that has a similar skill-set/ranking to that of Reuben Randle, etc.

If a similar trade happens on draft day I will be ok with it. I am however pretty confident that one of these 4 players will be available at #30; Hill, Wright, Fleener, Glenn....lets assume that I'm correct for a moment..that leaves two possibilities;

1) We picked a pretty highly regarded pass catching option: In this case we can look to pick the best OL prospect available @ #61, trading up is even an option if Amini or Osemele are available @ # 55 or so....

2) We got Glenn, the #2 ranked OG and possibly a player who can compete with Davis for RT after a year with the loser playing RG....in this case we take the best WR @ # 61, with the possibility of moving up a few spots for somebody like Sanu, Jones, or Quick....

TaylorMaysBrokeMyHeart
04-16-2012, 11:38 PM
Hello all. Just a draft dork looking for a place to satisfy my draft cravings...which are considerable.

TaylorMaysBrokeMyHeart
04-16-2012, 11:46 PM
Damn that's expensive but about right according to the trade chart.....I would not make this trade unless.....something really weird happened and Fleener, Hill, and Glenn came off the board by that time, then I would think about it but probably abstain.

It would only cost us a 3rd rounder to move up to #25 though and I think we possibly may want to do that

If we trade up (which I'm not really a fan of) I think this will be precisely it Shupp. We may need to move ahead of the texans if we REALLY want Hill.

TaylorMaysBrokeMyHeart
04-17-2012, 12:37 AM
I'm curious as to everybody's opinion on OL players that may be available in the 3rd round? Which of these guys do you like? I will throw a few names out there.

Brandon Brooks
Mitchell Schwartz
Brandon Washington

phlysac
04-17-2012, 12:41 AM
I'm curious as to everybody's opinion on OL players that may be available in the 3rd round? Which of these guys do you like? I will throw a few names out there.

Brandon Brooks
Mitchell Schwartz
Brandon Washington

In my opinion it's Brandon Brooks and it's not even close. The other two have limited athletic ability to dominate on the 2nd level.

TaylorMaysBrokeMyHeart
04-17-2012, 12:43 AM
In my opinion it's Brandon Brooks and it's not even close. The other two have limited athletic ability to dominate on the 2nd level.

What do you think the chances are of him being available when we pick in the 3rd round?

49erNation85
04-17-2012, 01:01 AM
I just hope we don't draft an OG/OL we have enough and could really use a wide out still. the o line can come later in the draft. All this buzz that Guard is our biggest need is annoying. That is what I heard from the 49ers web site at least.

thediggler3030
04-17-2012, 01:35 AM
Updated:

2. Trumaine Johnson DB, Montana
5. Tim Fugger OLB/DE, Vanderbilt
6. Brandon Bolden RB, Ole Miss.
7. Travian Robertson DL, S. Carolina

Brent
04-17-2012, 05:40 AM
I love TY Hilton.

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
04-17-2012, 10:40 AM
Tidbit from Peter King's mock draft (who has SF taking Fleener)
https://twitter.com/#!/SI_PeterKing/status/192272023601418241

27 BROWNS FROM PATS
WILL PICK
Brandon Weeden, QB, Oklahoma State
Cleveland sends a third-rounder to New England to move up 10 spots, from 37 to 27, and prevent the other Weeden fans—Chiefs, Eagles, Bills, Niners—from grabbing him.

King better layoff the Starbucks.

phlysac
04-17-2012, 11:02 AM
I just hope we don't draft an OG/OL we have enough and could really use a wide out still. the o line can come later in the draft. All this buzz that Guard is our biggest need is annoying. That is what I heard from the 49ers web site at least.

I'd be enlightened to hear your reason to believe it isn't.

Guards on roster...

Mike Iupati
Daniel Kilgore
Mike Person
Garrett Chisolm

Now look at any other position, and compare talent levels.

Menardo75
04-17-2012, 11:04 AM
https://twitter.com/#!/SI_PeterKing/status/192272023601418241

Why in the hell would the Niners be interested in Weeden. If they are putting that out there it's an unbelievable smokescreen.

49ersfan_87
04-17-2012, 01:49 PM
I would say G is our biggest need but not biggest priority, if that makes any sense. RG is certainly a position where you can get away with an average-above average player. Certainly something to keep an eye on to upgrade, but i wouldn't go to a great length to do so (ie trading multiple premium picks or a huge contract).

VAfy-ya
04-17-2012, 02:49 PM

I think your under-selling Schwartz a bit. Is he a OT you could leave on an island without any help or a chip? Probably not. But I think he could turn into a solid technician at the next level and be a pretty good RT or very good swing tackle/depth guy. He is limited athleticially but I think he could probably do all the other things really well and not get raped on the outside against the better pass-rushers. But speed rushers will defintely give him problems so he's probably better suited for the right side. I think he has potential though. I see him dropping to the 4th or 5th round because teams are scared of his slow feet, which i think is more technique driven than him just not being agile enough. I think he plays way too high when in pass-protection. But I think he's a better athlete than most are giving him credit for. I look at him and see a guy who could very well end up being a better pro than college player in the right scheme. I think he could thrive in ours. That being said, I really hope we dont draft a OT. I think we're pretty much set there.

And I dont see any O-Line prospect that last that long, having the potential of being dominant. Solid pro? Yeah, sure. Dominant is a strong word to be considered for any 3rd rounder not named Navarro Bowman ;). Its a reason they're still on the board. Brooks is the better of the group but he has his issues as well. Brooks probably has the highest ceiling, but I think its very possible Schwartz could end up the better pro. Like any player, depends on where they go and what the scheme asks them to do.

Brent
04-17-2012, 03:22 PM
Weeden being taken by the Niners? Sigh.

Peter King knows less about football than my left nut.

dan77733
04-17-2012, 04:00 PM
We re-signed Smith, signed FA Josh Johnson and drafted Colin Kaepernick high a year ago and King thinks that we'll be interested in a QB at 30? What a moron.

edgrenade
04-17-2012, 07:10 PM
it says Weeden to the BROWNS.

Can't you guys read???

Rabscuttle
04-17-2012, 07:20 PM
it says Weeden to the BROWNS.

Can't you guys read???

It says the Brownies trade up to keep several teams (including the Niners) from taking him. Can't you read?:banana: