PDA

View Full Version : Official 49ers 2012 NFL Draft Thread

Pages : 1 2 [3]

phlysac
04-18-2012, 01:07 AM
I think your under-selling Schwartz a bit. Is he a OT you could leave on an island without any help or a chip? Probably not. But I think he could turn into a solid technician at the next level and be a pretty good RT or very good swing tackle/depth guy. He is limited athleticially but I think he could probably do all the other things really well and not get raped on the outside against the better pass-rushers. But speed rushers will defintely give him problems so he's probably better suited for the right side. I think he has potential though. I see him dropping to the 4th or 5th round because teams are scared of his slow feet, which i think is more technique driven than him just not being agile enough. I think he plays way too high when in pass-protection. But I think he's a better athlete than most are giving him credit for. I look at him and see a guy who could very well end up being a better pro than college player in the right scheme. I think he could thrive in ours. That being said, I really hope we dont draft a OT. I think we're pretty much set there.

And I dont see any O-Line prospect that last that long, having the potential of being dominant. Solid pro? Yeah, sure. Dominant is a strong word to be considered for any 3rd rounder not named Navarro Bowman ;). Its a reason they're still on the board. Brooks is the better of the group but he has his issues as well. Brooks probably has the highest ceiling, but I think its very possible Schwartz could end up the better pro. Like any player, depends on where they go and what the scheme asks them to do.

Your analysis is good. My point is I would rank Brandon Brooks far ahead of Schwartz as a guard. Schwartz's feet, lack of flexibility, propensity of playing high, etc. make him a dodgy prospect to start at Guard without a lengthy transition.

Schwartz > Brooks as an OT prospect but < Brooks as a G prospect IMO.

Borat
04-18-2012, 01:38 AM
I must admit, I'm all over Brandon Boykins. I've been watching a lot of Georgia film and I keep trying to focus on Cordy Glenn but I just end up skipping ahead to watch more Boykins. He flashes constantly. I think he's headed to superstardum. Hope we end up with him.

Brent
04-18-2012, 05:43 AM
I must admit, I'm all over Brandon Boykins. I've been watching a lot of Georgia film and I keep trying to focus on Cordy Glenn but I just end up skipping ahead to watch more Boykins. He flashes constantly. I think he's headed to superstardum. Hope we end up with him.
He put up better numbers than Claborne or Kirkpatrick last year, with the exception of INTs. Only knock is his height.

Menardo75
04-18-2012, 10:12 AM
He put up better numbers than Claborne or Kirkpatrick last year, with the exception of INTs. Only knock is his height.

Great returner also.

H.O.O.D
04-18-2012, 01:06 PM
From Matt Barrows :

Trent Baalke concedes there is "one player" the 49ers are eyeing and thinks will be available at pick 30. Shocker: He would not reveal who.

So any guesses ? Could it be a player most seem to have ranked as a 2nd rounder that he truly values at 30 ?

jojo
04-18-2012, 01:13 PM
From Matt Barrows :

Quote: Trent Baalke concedes there is "one player" the 49ers are eyeing and thinks will be available at pick 30. Shocker: He would not reveal who.

So any guesses ? Could it be a player most seem to have ranked as a 2nd rounder that he truly values at 30 ?

"I didnt know until today it was D'Italia all along."
Godfather I

It's still Fleener all along. At 30. Book it.

phlysac
04-18-2012, 01:43 PM

Yeah. If this isn't a smokescreen, it reads to me that Baalke will "reach" for his guy just like he did with A. Davis, Aldon Smith, Kendall Hunter, Chris Culliver, etc.

49ersfan_87
04-18-2012, 01:51 PM
SI's Tony Pauline is "hearing" that the 49ers' No. 30 overall pick will come down to either Georgia Tech WR Stephen Hill or "the highest rated offensive guard" on San Francisco's draft board.
49ers GM Trent Baalke stated Wednesday that San Francisco is eyeballing "one player" at the No. 30 pick, although he obviously didn't say whom it was. Just connecting the dots, we'd say there's a good chance it's Hill. The Niners had Hill in for a pre-draft visit on April 16. Even after Randy Moss and Mario Manningham's short-term signings, receiver is a need spot for the 49ers. Apr. 18 - 1:53 pm et

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=7445&line=231682&spln=1

Is Stephen Hill the player Baalke is eyeing?

phlysac
04-18-2012, 01:55 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=7445&line=231682&spln=1

Is Stephen Hill the player Baalke is eyeing?

Pauline is grasping at straws. He mentions the WR the team brought in, and the only position left without an obvious starter (G.) Great investigative journalism.

Madirishman
04-18-2012, 03:47 PM
Pauline is grasping at straws. He mentions the WR the team brought in, and the only position left without an obvious starter (G.) Great investigative journalism.

Yes indeed. Very desperate, non-content, waste of time.

If these reports aren't a smokescreen (which everything is this close to the Draft), then that's an indicator to other teams that the Niners are willing to trade down from 30 if their "guy" (aka value) isn't there.

TaylorMaysBrokeMyHeart
04-18-2012, 03:57 PM
From Matt Barrows :

This kinda scares me. I was hoping for a more opportunistic approach, this sounds like a guy he knows will be there. Brandon Brooks anyone? Ugh.

dan77733
04-18-2012, 04:10 PM
If Fleener is available at 30 and we dont draft him, I'll be shocked for so many reasons.

VAfy-ya
04-18-2012, 05:26 PM
Your analysis is good. My point is I would rank Brandon Brooks far ahead of Schwartz as a guard. Schwartz's feet, lack of flexibility, propensity of playing high, etc. make him a dodgy prospect to start at Guard without a lengthy transition.

Schwartz > Brooks as an OT prospect but < Brooks as a G prospect IMO.

I honestly never thought of Schwartz as a OG. I know run blocking is his strength and his physicalness in the run game stands out but I dont see enough functional strength to anchor inside very well. But it would alevaite concerns about his feet and athleticism if you plug him inside. Still going to say no for now. See him as a better OT prospect.

edgrenade
04-18-2012, 07:15 PM
i still have a hard time believing that they are going to draft a 3rd string player in the first round.

I know all the reasons, it just seems unlikely.

I personally want Stephen Hill; He embodies everything Baalke looks for in a 49er

phlysac
04-18-2012, 07:37 PM
Baalke said "we've felt good all along about 'the player,' since early Fall."

Me investigating obvious themes a la Tony Pauline...

3 games from Stephen Hill in September 2011...

13 receptions | 458 yards | 4 TDs | 35.2 yards/rec

farfromforgotten
04-18-2012, 07:51 PM
i still have a hard time believing that they are going to draft a 3rd string player in the first round.

I personally want Stephen Hill; He embodies everything Baalke looks for in a 49er

I assume you are referring to Fleener? I think he has more of a chance to see the field than Hill does. They'd use sets with him and Davis a lot. I don't see us using 4 WR sets that often. And you'd have to assume that Hill would be behind Moss, Crabtree, and Manningham.

All that said, I like both players a lot. Hill probably has more star potential but Fleener I think would be less likely to bust.

H.O.O.D
04-18-2012, 08:53 PM
On offense I'd guess Randle or Silatolu.

On defense I think it could be a front 7 guy like Reyes, Wolfe, Ta'amu, McClellin, Branch or Perry. I also would not discount Jayron Hosley.

VAfy-ya
04-18-2012, 11:35 PM

Too add to your point, he embodies everything Baalke looks for in a first round pick. Uber talented with huge upside. A high-ceiling/high bust factor type of player. Thats seems to be Baalke's m.o. as 1st rounders go.

VAfy-ya
04-18-2012, 11:42 PM
Baalke said "we've felt good all along about 'the player,' since early Fall."

Me investigating obvious themes a la Tony Pauline...

3 games from Stephen Hill in September 2011...

13 receptions | 458 yards | 4 TDs | 35.2 yards/rec

I think Baalke's just toying with the media. He says all of that, then trades out of 30. I cant take any of that seriously.....all smoke and mirrors at this point.

edgrenade
04-19-2012, 12:17 AM
Anyone going to the draft party? I think it'll be funny after waiting for 2-3 hours, they trade out of the first, and everyone was at the party with no pick made, hahaha

Verloren
04-19-2012, 07:55 AM
Will Oakland have a draft party?

H.O.O.D
04-19-2012, 12:12 PM
I think Baalke's just toying with the media. He says all of that, then trades out of 30. I cant take any of that seriously.....all smoke and mirrors at this point.

-Q: You targeted Aldon Smith last year. Two years ago, you targeted Anthony Davis and moved up to get him. At 30, can you target just one guy? Is it more than 1 guy?

-BAALKE: Right now, you don’t know. There’s a lot of unknowns. You have to have more than one person.

We have one person that we feel real good about, that if we’re not able to make some moves, if we choose to do that, whether it be up or back, you’ve got to be prepared to make the pick at 30, which we’re prepared to do…

We certainly have more than one person that we’ve got. But there is one in particular that we feel will be there and if he is, we’ll be prepared to make the pick.

Not smoke and mirrors IMHO. We don't have gaping holes or needs that MUST be addressed in the first round thus it would be hard for another team to really gauge what players we may truly covet.

I think there is one guy they like a lot at 30 that probably is not a common name associated with top 32 and would take him in a heartbeat at 30 if no great offer comes our way to move out of 30. Obviously there are others players graded out who they could take in that range as well.

And maybe one or two they feel won't be there at 30 but they are prepared to move up to grab that player if he falls to within a price they would be willing to pay to go up and snag him.

VAfy-ya
04-19-2012, 01:29 PM
Not smoke and mirrors IMHO. We don't have gaping holes or needs that MUST be addressed in the first round thus it would be hard for another team to really gauge what players we may truly covet.

I think there is one guy they like a lot at 30 that probably is not a common name associated with top 32 and would take him in a heartbeat at 30 if no great offer comes our way to move out of 30. Obviously there are others players graded out who they could take in that range as well.

And maybe one or two they feel won't be there at 30 but they are prepared to move up to grab that player if he falls to within a price they would be willing to pay to go up and snag him.

I dont believe there's only one player they've been targeting since fall. Especially not knowing draft order and us still knee deep into a playoff run. I think there are several players Baalke and the staff have their eye on and will act accordingly depending on how the board falls. Its hard to target one player when you have 29 picks ahead of you. But for arguement's sake, lets say said player doesn't make it to 30. Does anyone really expect Baalke to tell the media who it was? Or that we had to "settle" for some other player? Or say a player we had targeted as a top 15 prospect, falls to us and he winds up being the pick. No matter who it is, Baalke will say that's the player we had our eye on all along or we had a idea he would be there at 30 and we were estatic he was there. Who's to say otherwise? I cant see Baalke admiting that they didnt take the "secret player" because a guy we had no idea would be there, fell into our lap. Like I said, smoke and mirrors. It makes no sense for Baalke to reveal said player before the draft and it makes no sense to reveal said player after the fact. That's one of those things where it could be anyone and it could be no one, depending on how Baalke wants to play it. Me thinks Baalke is using the media to hype this "secret player" angle, meanwhile they're somewhere working out 5-6 players they really like and have targeted at some undisclosed location, or having dinner with a couple guys to see how they're "wired". There's an angle to every crumb Baalke gives the media.....because he rarely gives them any insight on anything draft related.

dan77733
04-19-2012, 02:49 PM
At 30, im guessing Fleener, Hill, an OG or trade out of the first round. Wouldnt be surprised to see them jump up a few spots to get Fleener or Hill. If Fleener and Hill are gone though, I try to trade out of the first round and try to pick up an extra first rounder next year.

49ersfan_87
04-19-2012, 07:06 PM
Mayock repeating what Tony Pauline said yesterday- Stephen Hill or top rated OG

http://twitter.com/#!/CamInman/status/193043075717804032

Asked to guess who the 49ers have pegged at 30, NFL Net's Mike Mayock laughed, guessed WR Stephen Hill, G Amini Silatolu or G Kevin Zeitler

Brent
04-19-2012, 07:13 PM
I love how Baalke toys with the media.

VAfy-ya
04-19-2012, 07:49 PM
I love how Baalke toys with the media.

I mean it really is comical. Now all these guys in the media are trying to figure out who the "mystery prospect" is. Wouldnt be surprised if it were somebody totally off the radar. Maybe even a guy that the talking heads will be screaming is a "huge reach" and has a "third round grade". Which would suck, because that means no Hill. But it could also be a good thing because that might mean Marvin Jones. I just wish the draft was here already. Last two years I pretty much knew who we were targeting. This year I have absolutely no clue.

Borat
04-19-2012, 08:00 PM
So, ummm, should I put together a Borat-style gameday thread for the draft? I had some thoughts/ideas and am looking for feedback if you guys think it would actually get used.

Menardo75
04-19-2012, 10:51 PM
So, ummm, should I put together a Borat-style gameday thread for the draft? I had some thoughts/ideas and am looking for feedback if you guys think it would actually get used.

Yes what the hell are you waiting for.

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
04-20-2012, 01:33 AM

d3r5WQKmoUs

Borat
04-20-2012, 02:30 AM
I got to :53 seconds. Not bad.

I'll get to work on a Gameday Thread tomorrow.

Brent
04-20-2012, 07:36 AM
I mean it really is comical. Now all these guys in the media are trying to figure out who the "mystery prospect" is. Wouldnt be surprised if it were somebody totally off the radar. Maybe even a guy that the talking heads will be screaming is a "huge reach" and has a "third round grade". Which would suck, because that means no Hill. But it could also be a good thing because that might mean Marvin Jones. I just wish the draft was here already. Last two years I pretty much knew who we were targeting. This year I have absolutely no clue.
It'll probably be someone expected to go in round 2, but they'll take him at 30 and someone will be like, "OH MY GOD THEY TOOK HIM OVER SO-AND-SO! HE HAS NO IDEA WHAT HE IS DOING!"

My guess is Dan. :D

H.O.O.D
04-20-2012, 09:02 AM
I dont believe there's only one player they've been targeting since fall. Especially not knowing draft order and us still knee deep into a playoff run. I think there are several players Baalke and the staff have their eye on and will act accordingly depending on how the board falls. Its hard to target one player when you have 29 picks ahead of you. But for arguement's sake, lets say said player doesn't make it to 30. Does anyone really expect Baalke to tell the media who it was? Or that we had to "settle" for some other player? Or say a player we had targeted as a top 15 prospect, falls to us and he winds up being the pick. No matter who it is, Baalke will say that's the player we had our eye on all along or we had a idea he would be there at 30 and we were estatic he was there. Who's to say otherwise? I cant see Baalke admiting that they didnt take the "secret player" because a guy we had no idea would be there, fell into our lap. Like I said, smoke and mirrors. It makes no sense for Baalke to reveal said player before the draft and it makes no sense to reveal said player after the fact. That's one of those things where it could be anyone and it could be no one, depending on how Baalke wants to play it. Me thinks Baalke is using the media to hype this "secret player" angle, meanwhile they're somewhere working out 5-6 players they really like and have targeted at some undisclosed location, or having dinner with a couple guys to see how they're "wired". There's an angle to every crumb Baalke gives the media.....because he rarely gives them any insight on anything draft related.

I think you misunderstood what I was saying. Yes there are multiple guys on our board in that range that we would feel good about drafting but there is just one player on that list of players in the 30 range who he has liked since early fall and a guy obviously they believe will be there at 30. THAT guy if he is there is likely to be the pick barring another player sliding to 30 OR us trading up for a player sliding that we obviously have a higher grade on OR a significant offer comes our way at 30 to move back.

He really gives nothing away by feeding us this tidbit because it could be anyone and that guy is not necessarily who we will pick there, just someone the FO seems to be enamored with and would feel comfortable taking at 30.

I think they are also hoping to temper fans and local media's reactions to a guy who like others have said will possibly be called a reach by the Mike Mayock's, Mel Kiper's and Todd McShay's on draft day if that is the guy the end up picking.

Menardo75
04-20-2012, 10:34 AM
Realistically assuming nobody takes a huge fall the talent level from picks 25-40 is not that much different. So it could be somebody people are looking at as an early second rounder.

49ersfan_87
04-20-2012, 12:05 PM
Looks like Kendall Wright is going to fall. His size was already a possible impediment, but now there's reports of him having 4 bench reps and 16% body fat. I thought he was a mid-1st rounder but he may be a mid-2nd rounder at this rate. He was a favourite of mine but those weight and strength issues concern me. Especially because if he can't work his butt off right now, what will motivate him to do so when he's in the NFL? I can see him available at 30, and us passing on him.

Rabscuttle
04-20-2012, 12:27 PM
Looks like Kendall Wright is going to fall. His size was already a possible impediment, but now there's reports of him having 4 bench reps and 16% body fat. I thought he was a mid-1st rounder but he may be a mid-2nd rounder at this rate. He was a favourite of mine but those weight and strength issues concern me. Especially because if he can't work his butt off right now, what will motivate him to do so when he's in the NFL? I can see him available at 30, and us passing on him.

Waiting to hear reports of him breaking into donut shops with Golden Tate.

VAfy-ya
04-20-2012, 03:31 PM
So I was trying to figure out why AJ Jenkins isnt getting much love from anyone really. Seems like he's gone completely off the radar....

phlysac
04-20-2012, 04:32 PM
So I was trying to figure out why AJ Jenkins isnt getting much love from anyone really. Seems like he's gone completely off the radar....

I've heard the opposite. I didn't rank him highly but "talking heads" almost always include him in their "2nd tier" discussion.

dan77733
04-20-2012, 05:12 PM
It'll probably be someone expected to go in round 2, but they'll take him at 30 and someone will be like, "OH MY GOD THEY TOOK HIM OVER SO-AND-SO! HE HAS NO IDEA WHAT HE IS DOING!"

My guess is Dan. :D

Probably. If Fleener is there at 30, I dont see why Harbaugh/Baalke wouldnt draft him. If anything, it should be a definite. If Fleener is gone, im hoping for Hill if he's still on the board. If both are gone, im guessing an OG or trying to trade down.

TaylorMaysBrokeMyHeart
04-20-2012, 07:31 PM
Probably. If Fleener is there at 30, I dont see why Harbaugh/Baalke wouldnt draft him. If anything, it should be a definite. If Fleener is gone, im hoping for Hill if he's still on the board. If both are gone, im guessing an OG or trying to trade down.

Agreed, I would flip flop Fleener and Hill however.

Shupp
04-20-2012, 08:04 PM

If this is true I really hope we don't take him at #30.

phlysac
04-20-2012, 09:14 PM
If this is true I really hope we don't take him at #30.

What do you mean "if" this is true? His Bench Reps and BMI are official statistics kept at the Combine. This info has been known since then.

VAfy-ya
04-21-2012, 01:07 AM
And then there's this from Jimbaugh....

"I think Trent's trying to be dramatic with you guys -- build the drama," Harbaugh said. "There's several -- there's a lot of good guys. There are a lot of good guys we'd love to have at that pick. Having been through this once, most of the guys you recognize as great football players are going to be playing against you. That's just the fact of business. But getting the right guy, the right fit for our team, is what we're all focused on."

Like I said, smoke and mirrors....

Okay, so Markelle Martin or Harrison Smith? Still think Hardin is going to be a stud if he fully recovers from that injury. But looking at our roster, honestly the biggest need on the team is probably safety. Sean Richardson anyone?

Borat
04-21-2012, 03:53 AM
OK. The draft gameday thread (http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2959041#post2959041) is up. Enjoy. I'm going to close this one.