PDA

View Full Version : Top Combine Performance of 2012

Caulibflower
02-25-2012, 05:54 PM
So far I think the guy with the best measurables has gotta be Oklahoma TE James Hanna.

At 6' 4", 252 and 10-inch hands...

40-yard dash: 4.49 (1st among TEs)

Bench Reps: 24 (4th)

Vertical: 36" (tied for first)

Broad: 10' 2" (3rd)

3-cone: 6.76 (2nd)

20-yard shuttle: 4.11 (2nd)

60-yrd shuttle: 11.43 (tied for first)

SuperPacker
02-25-2012, 06:00 PM
Hanna BOSSED it!

Cordy Glenn was another who impressed. Especially at his size.

Justone2
02-25-2012, 06:42 PM
Hanna had a great showing while the most questioned part was his speed i believe. Well at least his straight line speed is pretty good.

Sloopy
02-25-2012, 06:55 PM
Glenn looked damn sexy as well as DeCastro.

Caulibflower
02-25-2012, 07:41 PM
Hanna had a great showing while the most questioned part was his speed i believe. Well at least his straight line speed is pretty good.

He blew it up in the shuttles, too, which are typically considered assessments of quickness. I think he looks pretty good all-around. He's just one of those guys where you're thinking, "Why wasn't he tearing it up out there?" Same offense that produced Jermaine Gresham a couple years ago, you'd think a guy with superior athletic ability would be able to at least come close to producing like the guy who came before him, but that wasn't the case. We'll see how high this lifts Hanna; to be honest, I hadn't heard of him before the combine.

For what it's worth, comparing production to athleticism:

Gresham 6'5" 260, so he's got an inch and 10 lbs on Hanna.

Hanna 40-yard dash: 4.49 :: Gresham: 4.66

Hanna Bench Reps: 24 :: Gresham: 20

Hanna Vertical: 36" :: Gresham: 35"

Hanna Broad: 10' 2" :: Gresham: 9' 5"

Hanna 3-cone: 6.76 :: Gresham: 7.07

Hanna 20-yard shuttle: 4.11 :: Gresham: 4.53

Hanna 60-yrd shuttle: 11.43 :: Gresham: 11.88

Hanna's combine numbers are better than Gresham's in every category (aside from size). BUT...

Hanna's last two years at Oklahoma: 45 catches - 671 yards - 9 TDs.

Gresham's last two years at Oklahoma: 103 catches - 1468 yards - 25 TDs.

norcalgsr
02-25-2012, 07:55 PM
Hanna looks to be another Dorin Dickerson. Freak athletic TE that can't play the position.

vidae
02-25-2012, 07:57 PM
Tomorrow we'll be talking about RG3.

keylime_5
02-25-2012, 08:33 PM
Glenn was good in the 40 and bench, but he wasn't that great in the other tests. Matt Kalil was the OL who impressed me the most. James Hanna and MIchael Egnew killed it at TE.

Grizzlegom
02-25-2012, 08:50 PM
Hanna might have put in freakish workouts but he dropped at least three passes that I saw while going through drills. He's probably gone from fringe draftable to late-round though.

I thought Glenn, Kalil, DeCastro, and Phillip Blake all had great workouts among the OL. Just from watching the drills, I thought Nate Potter showed well too. At TE, Dwayne Allen's 40 was bad but he looked silky smooth in drills. Egnew obviously had a great workout, as did Ladarius Green.

descendency
02-25-2012, 08:51 PM
Personally, I thought the most impressive OL was...

... Matt Kalil. He looked the part of the best tackle (by far) of anyone. Though, Cordy Glenn definitely is a good option.

Caulibflower
02-25-2012, 09:08 PM
Hanna might have put in freakish workouts but he dropped at least three passes that I saw while going through drills.

Did he? I haven't been able to watch them, but those numbers don't mean **** if he can't hang onto passes.

At TE, Dwayne Allen's 40 was bad but he looked silky smooth in drills.

Allen's always looked more like a guy who's got the coordination and size to be a player, not just pure athleticism. Makes me think of what people were saying about Brandon Pettigrew a couple of years ago.

keylime_5
02-25-2012, 09:10 PM
Hanna dropped some passes? Don't let football skills or lack thereof get in the way of great workout numbers. This is the combine! this isn't about football skills!

49erNation85
02-25-2012, 10:38 PM
Tomorrow we'll be talking about RG3.

Why he ain't doing **** at the combine ? Dam pussies for the top QB 's never throw here any more what the hell.

Duffman57
02-26-2012, 12:04 AM
Hanna might have put in freakish workouts but he dropped at least three passes that I saw while going through drills. He's probably gone from fringe draftable to late-round though.

I thought Glenn, Kalil, DeCastro, and Phillip Blake all had great workouts among the OL. Just from watching the drills, I thought Nate Potter showed well too. At TE, Dwayne Allen's 40 was bad but he looked silky smooth in drills. Egnew obviously had a great workout, as did Ladarius Green.

Yah, I also noticed Egnew looked pathetic in the catching drills, worked out well, but I think I saw him catch only a few balls that were really caught clean, he bobbled or dropped most of the passes thrown to him...

Green really impressed me. He looked like he could possibly even convert to WR and be moved around a lot.

Complex
02-26-2012, 12:25 AM
He blew it up in the shuttles, too, which are typically considered assessments of quickness. I think he looks pretty good all-around. He's just one of those guys where you're thinking, "Why wasn't he tearing it up out there?" Same offense that produced Jermaine Gresham a couple years ago, you'd think a guy with superior athletic ability would be able to at least come close to producing like the guy who came before him, but that wasn't the case. We'll see how high this lifts Hanna; to be honest, I hadn't heard of him before the combine.

For what it's worth, comparing production to athleticism:

Gresham 6'5" 260, so he's got an inch and 10 lbs on Hanna.

Hanna 40-yard dash: 4.49 :: Gresham: 4.66

Hanna Bench Reps: 24 :: Gresham: 20

Hanna Vertical: 36" :: Gresham: 35"

Hanna Broad: 10' 2" :: Gresham: 9' 5"

Hanna 3-cone: 6.76 :: Gresham: 7.07

Hanna 20-yard shuttle: 4.11 :: Gresham: 4.53

Hanna 60-yrd shuttle: 11.43 :: Gresham: 11.88

Hanna's combine numbers are better than Gresham's in every category (aside from size). BUT...

Hanna's last two years at Oklahoma: 45 catches - 671 yards - 9 TDs.

Gresham's last two years at Oklahoma: 103 catches - 1468 yards - 25 TDs.

To be fair Gresham was coming off a torn ACL

Caulibflower
02-26-2012, 12:48 AM
To be fair Gresham was coming off a torn ACL

That is an excellent point, and I had forgotten about it. How far removed from that was he at his combine? Didn't he miss a season of college ball? I can't quite remember the details, but the ether is swirling inside my skull and I seem to remember something like a tight end going back for a senior year when he would've probably gone in the first as a junior, who then injured himself. Was that Gresham, or am I stoned?

SchizophrenicBatman
02-26-2012, 12:53 AM
Gresham: Sam Bradford

Hanna: Landry Jones

onejayhawk
02-26-2012, 08:51 AM
It is icing on his cake, but RG III turned a sub 4.4 40.

J

FUNBUNCHER
02-26-2012, 08:54 AM
Hanna is going to be drafted before the 5th round just on potential, unless he really has bad hands.

jimmylishis
02-26-2012, 03:17 PM
Stephen Hill

SuperPacker
02-26-2012, 03:31 PM
Quarterbacks

Andrew Luck impressed with this vertical and board jump. He's defintely a lot more athletic than people give him credit for.

'Do what you do RG3'

Running Backs

David Wilson was the top RB performer. His vertical jump was just insane.

Robert Turbin was surprisingly quick and nimble. That should go down well when you throw his size into play.

Wide Receivers

Stephen Hill, Tommy Streeter are both amazingly quick for their size. Hill has probably cemented his place as a top 2nd rounder who could go 1st.

Michael Floyd was the biggest suprise of the day. To run under a 4.5 when hes at his size, everyone questioned his speed and his production was so good has probably pushed him up a lot of draft boards. Could go top 10 now.

JohnCandy
02-26-2012, 03:44 PM
Stephen Hill

Height: 6-4”
Weight: 215lbs
Arms: 33’ 3/8”
Hands: 9’3/8”
Forty: 4.30 & 4.31 (NFL says official time was 4.36)
Bench: 14 reps
Board: 11’10”
Vertical: 39.5”

norcalgsr
02-26-2012, 07:57 PM
Chris Rainey destroyed the 3-cone drill with 6.50.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/members/ratings/combineleaders.php?genpos=RB&sortorder=cone&order=ASC

Wrathman
02-26-2012, 09:46 PM
Quarterbacks

Andrew Luck impressed with this vertical and board jump. He's defintely a lot more athletic than people give him credit for.

'Do what you do RG3'

Running Backs

David Wilson was the top RB performer. His vertical jump was just insane.

Robert Turbin was surprisingly quick and nimble. That should go down well when you throw his size into play.

Wide Receivers

Stephen Hill, Tommy Streeter are both amazingly quick for their size. Hill has probably cemented his place as a top 2nd rounder who could go 1st.

Michael Floyd was the biggest suprise of the day. To run under a 4.5 when hes at his size, everyone questioned his speed and his production was so good has probably pushed him up a lot of draft boards. Could go top 10 now.

I agree with all of this with the caveat that Streeter is nowhere near ready to be an NFL receiver from what I saw. Turbin was impressive at his size with his speed and agility. I'll also add Devon Wylie to my list.

descendency
02-26-2012, 09:53 PM
Chris Owusu's definitely showed elite athleticism unlikely to be found in the late rounds (where he'll be taken).

ShutDwn
02-26-2012, 10:13 PM
Chris Owusu's definitely showed elite athleticism unlikely to be found in the late rounds (where he'll be taken).

Great timed speed, as many bench reps as Michael Brockers (19), a forty inch vertical, and has future dreams of being a doctor? I'm interested.

I think his concussion issues are less risky than Alshon Jeffery's issues.

I'd also love the Panthers to pick Rainey up in the later rounds. Developing some new toys (scat back and a deep threat) could make the offense extremely versatile.

bengalbuck
02-26-2012, 10:20 PM
That is an excellent point, and I had forgotten about it. How far removed from that was he at his combine? Didn't he miss a season of college ball? I can't quite remember the details, but the ether is swirling inside my skull and I seem to remember something like a tight end going back for a senior year when he would've probably gone in the first as a junior, who then injured himself. Was that Gresham, or am I stoned?

Yeah, that's basically it. He tore his ACL right before his senior year, late August I believe. Many thought he wouldn't be able to workout, but he did run and do the drills at the combine approximately 6 months after the knee injury.

Caulibflower
02-26-2012, 10:54 PM
Yeah, that's basically it. He tore his ACL right before his senior year, late August I believe. Many thought he wouldn't be able to workout, but he did run and do the drills at the combine approximately 6 months after the knee injury.

Well, those numbers 6 months removed from an ACL injury are extremely impressive then. Forget comparing them to Hanna's.

niel89
02-26-2012, 11:22 PM

I think he worked himself back up from being a UDFA back to being a late round pick. I knew he was very athletic but he blew me away. He also has a history of minor injuries here through out his college career. He was an amazing KR but teams might shy away from him in that role because of his concussions. I still think he could have been as high as a 2nd rounder with out the injuries.