PDA

View Full Version : Andrew Luck = Cam Newton (Athletically)

indyfan1985
02-26-2012, 11:22 AM
He had basically the same vertical jump, broad jump, and 40 time. Pretty impressive that Luck is showing the same athletism as Newton because Newton was considered a freak coming out. Cam is a little bigger, but not by much.

Just imagine a guy who can run like Newton, but has much better accuracy and QB skills.....SCARY!!!

TCU
02-26-2012, 11:25 AM
Yes this is great news for Colts fans, and RG3's display this weekend has to make the Rams happy that there pick is worth a whole lot more now.

gpngc
02-26-2012, 11:28 AM
Andrew Luck is not as gifted a runner on the football field as Cam Newton. Not even remotely close.

Stop letting a 40-yard dash in tights confuse you.

Luck is very athletic, but he'll be a pure pocket passer with the ability to pick up some 1sts with his feet at times and move outside the pocket. We knew this already.

So gloat about your new franchise QB all you want, but please don't compare him to Cam Newton as a runner because they ran a similar 40. Combine hyperbole ignoring game tape FTL!

FUNBUNCHER
02-26-2012, 11:32 AM
Even Griffin said Newton was a more elusive runner than he was although he himself is faster.

Luck is going to enter the league as one of the more athletic QBs in the game. He's top 10 for the position in the pros, which I think most fans didn't realize.

Athletically he's John Elway, minus the pure arm strength.

papageorgio
LOL Colt's fans are some of the worst in the NFL. I can't beelvie how they just discard the GOAT like a pile of garbage for the next apparent sure thing.

Colts fans are classless in the way they treated Manning at the end of his career.

TACKLE
I said this in the combine thread but his athleticism was far more important to his game than his arm strength was.

Babylon
02-26-2012, 11:33 AM
Andrew Luck is not as gifted a runner on the football field as Cam Newton. Not even remotely close.

Stop letting a 40-yard dash in tights confuse you.

Luck is very athletic, but he'll be a pure pocket passer with the ability to pick up some 1sts with his feet at times and move outside the pocket. We knew this already.

So gloat about your new franchise QB all you want, but please don't compare him to Cam Newton as a runner because they ran a similar 40. Combine hyperbole ignoring game tape FTL!

Agree. I actually thought Newton's times and Locker's for that matter didnt in any way reflect their athletic ability. Major props to Luck but i dont think he's the athlete those other two are.

Complex
02-26-2012, 11:44 AM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/971739/simul.gif

keylime_5
02-26-2012, 11:46 AM
Newton is a freak. Luck is athletic, but he is not the freak of nature that Newton is. Similar combine numbers? Gimme a break. Put on some tape and watch the two and tell me with a straight face that Luck is in the same universe as Newton with the ball on his hands running down the field.

SenorGato
02-26-2012, 11:49 AM
I get the combine and all but threads like these exist directly because of the combine.

Athleticism /= workout numbers.

FUNBUNCHER
02-26-2012, 11:58 AM
Newton is a freak. Luck is athletic, but he is not the freak of nature that Newton is. Similar combine numbers? Gimme a break. Put on some tape and watch the two and tell me with a straight face that Luck is in the same universe as Newton with the ball on his hands running down the field.

You don't think Luck wouldn't run for 1000 yards in a spread option?? When he gets out of the pocket and gets a few steps, he's either running over or through people.

Luck running the spread option would have been a better Tim Tebow because he can actually pass the football.

Here's a clip of Andrew Luck taking the ball 50 yards untouched on a run fake around the left end.

Only a handful of QBs in the NFL could have scored untouched on this play.
1xvH2c1atiE

SchizophrenicBatman
02-26-2012, 11:59 AM
Newton weighs a good 15 pounds more

But yes, if Luck blew out his arm tomorrow he could have a fine career as an LB

Babylon
02-26-2012, 12:01 PM
You don't think Luck wouldn't run for 1000 yards in a spread option?? When he gets out of the pocket and gets a few steps, he's either running over or through people.

Luck running the spread option would have been a better Tim Tebow because he can actually pass the football.

Here's a clip of Andrew Luck taking the ball 50 yards untouched on a run fake around the left end.

1xvH2c1atiE

There should be a disclaimer that anything done against the Husky defense doesnt count.

keylime_5
02-26-2012, 12:07 PM

1xvH2c1atiE

I think Luck is a great athlete, and he sure as heck would be awesome in a spread option running the ball. He had ridiculous broad and vertical jump numbers today. I didn't expect 10'4" broad jump from him. But there is no denying that Newton is a more explosive runner on the field. That says more about Newton than Luck, don't get me wrong.

killxswitch
02-26-2012, 12:42 PM
LOL Colt's fans are some of the worst in the NFL. I can't beelvie how they just discard the GOAT like a pile of garbage for the next apparent sure thing.

Colts fans are classless in the way they treated Manning at the end of his career.

Go ahead and explain why being excited about Andrew Luck means Colts fans (or in this case, one single Colts fan) hate Peyton Manning and are taking a **** on his time here. Oh wait, you can't because you are full of ****.

Prowler
02-26-2012, 12:57 PM

Stop. Just stop. Read more and talk less. The Manning situation is also not even fully resolved yet.

niel89
02-26-2012, 01:00 PM
The best part is that Lucks college game really isn't build upon him being an athlete, its just a nice bonus. You put him in a system that has him run the ball and he would have put up a 1000 rushing. His body could hand the carries too; Luck is a tank on the field.

TACKLE
02-26-2012, 02:11 PM
After the combine, wasn't Gabbert the same level of athlete as Cam too?

ShutDwn
02-26-2012, 02:17 PM
Straight line speed isn't really Newton's game, it's the suddenness of his cuts. There are plenty of QBs faster than Newton but they don't have vision. Nobody is supposed to be that elusive when you're that big.

Lucks probably got more vision than most and definitely has some wheels.

dannyz
02-26-2012, 02:42 PM
I knew Andrew Luck was Athletic but the thing about him is that he is not a Runner like Cam Newton but more of an Aaron Rodgers where if his reads are not there then he can tuck it and pick up a 10 yard gain and a 1ST Down, are we going to see Andrew Luck run up the middle for a 50 yard TD untouched like Cam? No but what he can do is get you the short yards that will really help keep a Drive Alive.

Babylon
02-26-2012, 03:41 PM
I knew Andrew Luck was Athletic but the thing about him is that he is not a Runner like Cam Newton but more of an Aaron Rodgers where if his reads are not there then he can tuck it and pick up a 10 yard gain and a 1ST Down, are we going to see Andrew Luck run up the middle for a 50 yard TD untouched like Cam? No but what he can do is get you the short yards that will really help keep a Drive Alive.

What you describe is a better recipe for the NFL and Cam would probably be the first to agree.

descendency
02-26-2012, 03:59 PM
"A little bigger"

You mean 15 pounds and 1 inch? lol.

Andrew Luck is a phenomenal athlete, but he's not Cam Newton.

indyfan1985
02-26-2012, 04:45 PM

Dude we're not discarding him. Its in the franchise's best interest to move on from him especially when we have a chance at a guy like Luck. You dont pass on franchise QBs for the future of your franchise. Get that through your thick skull.

jackalope
02-26-2012, 06:10 PM
Andrew Luck is going to be like Aaron Rodgers in the NFL, in that every time one runs for a first down, the announcers declare how underrated his athleticism is.

brat316
02-26-2012, 06:13 PM
Andrew Luck = Tim Tebow, but with the ability to throw.

cajuncorey
02-26-2012, 09:29 PM
no one has said this yet but andrew luck looks even more like jake locker