PDA

View Full Version : Jacksonville at #7 overall

gpngc
02-26-2012, 01:41 PM
If the top of the draft goes like this...

Luck, RG3, Kalil, TRich, Claiborne, Blackmon

Then what the hell does Jacksonville do at #7 overall?

Keep in mind, GM Gene Smith will NOT take players with character issues (which eliminates Coples, Floyd, and probably Kirkpatrick).

They also don't need a DT.

Assuming they can't trade down (and it's not really a hot spot to move up to based on value - unless Seattle wants Tannehill and Miami would take him at 8), who do they take?

Crazy_Chris
02-26-2012, 01:44 PM
I think DeCastro is a legit possibility to Jacksonville. They need to get Gabbert the best protection possible to help with his cowardess, and Decastro is the 2nd best O-linemen. Aswell G. Smith has never been scared to take what others may consider a "reach".

Vaylor
02-26-2012, 01:45 PM
Kendall Wright or Riley Reiff. They have to get a player who can help Gabbert.

Vaylor
02-26-2012, 01:46 PM
I think DeCastro is a legit possibility to Jacksonville. They need to get Gabbert the best protection possible to help with his cowardess, and Decastro is the 2nd best O-linemen. Aswell G. Smith has never been scared to take what others may consider a "reach".

Ah or this.

Unbiased
02-26-2012, 01:46 PM
Gene has a ton of cash to work with. We might as well wait until after FA because he's likely to sign quite a few players.

gpngc
02-26-2012, 01:47 PM
On second thought, a team that loves Brockers could try to move up in front of Carolina...

But there are so many good DTs that a team would have to REALLY love Brockers to move up to get him.

This pick is crazy to me.

FUNBUNCHER
02-26-2012, 01:48 PM
Blaine Gabbert, give a big wet sloppy kiss you your new best friend, Michael Floyd!!

gpngc
02-26-2012, 01:50 PM
Blaine Gabbert, give a big wet sloppy kiss you your new best friend, Michael Floyd!!

Three alcohol-related incidents might hurt his case. From a football standpoint it's a perfect fit. Maybe Gene Smith will overlook his red flags. Kids do drink, they just usually don't get in trouble THAT much during college. A good interview might sway him, though. You never know.

The thing that kills me is that Kendall Wright ran a 4.4 like everyone expected, he'd be the obvious pick. Damn.

SuperPacker
02-26-2012, 01:55 PM
I've thought Kendall Wright for a long time and i still think thats what they'll do.

Prowler
02-26-2012, 02:04 PM
That's a terrible position for Jacksonville at #7. Try like hell to trade back.

scottyboy
02-26-2012, 02:19 PM

this. trade back to someone who wants Brockers.

they need help, more picks, more players, more youth. trade down to try and get Decastro, Reiff or Martin and load up on picks to try and get WR's.

or take Decastro at 7

ChiFan24
02-26-2012, 02:20 PM
I had them trading back to 15 and taking Sanu in my last mock. Reiff would make sense as if they stay at #7; Whimper was their RT last season and he's a FA.

rfc17
02-26-2012, 02:28 PM
Gene Smith is the honeybadger of GMs. He doesnt care, he just takes who he wants.

Dont sleep on Courtney Upshaw here. But yea bad position for the Jags. Should have tanked that game against the Colts at the end of the year.

BamaFalcon59
02-26-2012, 02:32 PM
I like Upshaw among the options. That's a tone-setter for the defense.

If not, then Floyd.

DeCastro is great but I'm not taking a guard at seven. You can grab Osmele in round two, plug him at guard, and potentially have a future all-pro.

ChiFan24
02-26-2012, 02:45 PM

If not, then Floyd.

DeCastro is great but I'm not taking a guard at seven. You can grab Osmele in round two, plug him at guard, and potentially have a future all-pro.

In DeCastro you definitely have an immediate all pro. Not saying I'd take him at #7, but I think there's a pretty sizable gap between he and Osemele.

gpngc
02-26-2012, 02:45 PM
I had them trading back to 15 and taking Sanu in my last mock. Reiff would make sense as if they stay at #7; Whimper was their RT last season and he's a FA.

Well what team would value Brockers so much more than the other DTs that they are willing to deal picks to move up?

Seattle jumping Miami for Tannehill is a possibility.

BamaFalcon59
02-26-2012, 03:01 PM
In DeCastro you definitely have an immediate all pro. Not saying I'd take him at #7, but I think there's a pretty sizable gap between he and Osemele.

You never "definitely" have an all-pro. Especially immediately.

A guard worthy of a round two pick is still an awesome guard prospect. A receiver in the second round is a common occurance.

scottyboy
02-26-2012, 03:04 PM
You never "definitely" have an all-pro. Especially immediately.

A guard worthy of a round two pick is still an awesome guard prospect. A receiver in the second round is a common occurance.

while I agree, I don't think I've seen such an NFL worthy and all around talented lineman in the draft as DeCastro. As someone else here said, position aside, he's the 2nd most talented player in this draft.

Miaoww
02-26-2012, 03:09 PM
On second thought, a team that loves Brockers could try to move up in front of Carolina...

But there are so many good DTs that a team would have to REALLY love Brockers to move up to get him.

This pick is crazy to me.

You think the Panthers will draft Brockers?

I've honestly no idea what Rivera and Hurney are going to do.

IrishBrowns
02-26-2012, 03:27 PM
Where is all this Kendall Wright at #7 now?? One guy said it and now he's jumping that high. Or is it because of the hype of RGIII. Either way, he just ran a 4.61 40. I don't see how he is supposedly moving up so much. Perceiving things...If he ran a 4.3 forty then yeah I could see it happening. But nothing happened besides a worse 40 time than anyone thought.

BamaFalcon59
02-26-2012, 03:28 PM
while I agree, I don't think I've seen such an NFL worthy and all around talented lineman in the draft as DeCastro. As someone else here said, position aside, he's the 2nd most talented player in this draft.

I agree.

I only have he and Luck as "elite" prospects. Claiborne, Kalil, RG3, and Richardson on the level below that.

Babylon
02-26-2012, 03:32 PM
Where is all this Kendall Wright at #7 now?? One guy said it and now he's jumping that high. Or is it because of the hype of RGIII. Either way, he just ran a 4.61 40. I don't see how he is supposedly moving up so much. Perceiving things...If he ran a 4.3 forty then yeah I could see it happening. But nothing happened besides a worse 40 time than anyone thought.

I wouldnt take Wright there more because of his size as opposed to a 4.61 electronic time. Go with the 4.45 unofficial, besides he plays fast.

SilentJaguar
02-26-2012, 03:39 PM
Seriously doubt that Gene takes DeCastro even if they traded down and he was still there(unless Meester up and retires suddenly between now and the Draft) since Uche played very well and Rackley was playing much better by the end of the year. I could possibly see Reiff, but that would depend on Britton's health and how much they like Haslem(IR'd before the season started and would've been starting at RT possibly instead of the terrible Guy Whimper) and Cameron Bradfield(UDFA who came in and played decently after Whimper got IR'd). If I had to narrow it down some, I'd say that Coples/Upshaw/Kirkpatrick/Reiff would be the most likely targets if we stay at 7.

Really don't want to draft a WR in the top 10 this year, but if we got down to around the 13-15 range and Floyd was still there, I'd be incredibly giddy.

toonsterwu
02-27-2012, 12:52 AM
My initial inclination is to say Kendall Wright, but that assumes he runs well in his own workouts/pro day. IIRC, Mularkey's first year in Buffalo resulted in drafting a similar sized receiver who had quickness and deep ball ability (Lee Evans). They are going all-in on Gabbert, have a good run game and decent OL. They've got to give Gabbert some WR's to work with, and I love how Wright goes to get the ball.

If he runs poorly again, then it's up in the air. A DE will likely work out well and could move up.

Master Exploder
02-27-2012, 01:14 AM
Stephen Hill has made things interesting. I don't want to over-react to his combine, but he's probably going to be a 1st rounder now.

Gene Smith will draft a guy higher than his perceived stock and the Falcons were very high on Demaryius Thomas in 2010, who came from the same system and is a very similar prospect. It will be interesting, especially if Mike Mularkey was the one pulling for Thomas in Atlanta.

RaiderNation
02-27-2012, 01:25 AM
Wright should be out of the question unless he runs a 4.3 at his Pro Day, I think his stock will drop into the 20's

The Jags will likely pick one of these players depending how the board falls: DE Quinton Coples, OT Riley Reiff, DE Melvin Ingram or if one of the top prospects some how fall they might look at one of them too. Blackmon and Richardson are the most likely from the top 6 to potentially fall a little in the draft. The Jags would love to get Blackmon at 7, and I think they would end up taking Trent Richardson at 7 if he's there and see what happens. If you can trade him for good value do it, if not keep him to pair with MJD and have a very strong running attack to help Gabbert.

descendency
02-27-2012, 06:19 AM
Coples. I'll be betting on Coples.

Then again, DeCastro makes sense for the Jaguars philosophy.

descendency
02-27-2012, 06:21 AM
Wright should be out of the question unless he runs a 4.3 at his Pro Day, I think his stock will drop into the 20's

I like how Kendall Wright runs slow and people think his tape can be ignored, but Justin Blackmon doesn't run because he'll run slow and people just make excuses for him.

IrishBrowns
02-27-2012, 08:33 AM
I like how Kendall Wright runs slow and people think his tape can be ignored, but Justin Blackmon doesn't run because he'll run slow and people just make excuses for him.

You may have a point, however, Blackmon has been an elite prospect for a few years now, and although yes Wright plays a lot faster, unfortunately 40 times are a big determining factor when coming to the NFL Combine. I just don't see how his stock would increase..and now people saying Wright is the 2nd best PROSPECT? PROSPECT wise I would say 4th.

murdamal86
02-27-2012, 08:37 AM

This

If the draft plays out like we're projecting it, trade back quick!! I don't like us reaching for a WR at #7

*watches Coples run a 4.72*

If we had to chose, get Coples

bitonti
02-27-2012, 09:16 AM

+1 Upshaw or even Ingram work.

jbooshey
02-27-2012, 11:03 AM
Brockers...BPA

georgiafan
02-27-2012, 11:14 AM
any chance they trade up then?

mightytitan9
02-27-2012, 11:43 AM
floyd.....

NY+Giants=NYG
02-27-2012, 11:49 AM
Who are the WRs on the Jags? Maybe trade back, and go WR?

georgiafan
02-27-2012, 12:07 PM
The jags in the past dont take guys with character issues

AntoinCD
02-27-2012, 02:14 PM
You may have a point, however, Blackmon has been an elite prospect for a few years now, and although yes Wright plays a lot faster, unfortunately 40 times are a big determining factor when coming to the NFL Combine. I just don't see how his stock would increase..and now people saying Wright is the 2nd best PROSPECT? PROSPECT wise I would say 4th.

I definitely doesn't help his stock but it doesn't hurt it as much as people are making out.

There is a difference between Kendall Wright running 4.6 when everytime you put on the tape he looks like one of the fastest guys on the field, and say if Blackmon had run 4.65/4.7.

If a guy looks like he may have issues with speed on tape and runs slow it confirms your opinion on him. If a guy looks like a burner and runs poorly you just have to rewatch the tape or wait until they run again.

Remember Joe Haden always looked like one of the fastest guys on the field and ran 4.57 at the combine. It didn't really hurt his stock.

mightytitan9
02-27-2012, 02:53 PM
The Jags need WR, and Floyd is an elite talent WR that fans are giving his due. I've always been a Blackmon fan in college, but I really don't think he's ever going to be an elite WR in the NFL, he compares to a better Michael Crabtree to me. He's already shown the drama queen WR and has already shown the bonehead plays.

Blackmon is probably the safer pick than Floyd due to Floyds off the field issues, but if it was just the player without any off the filed issues i'd take Floyd in a heatbeat

nikkayeah
02-27-2012, 03:42 PM
wont be surprised if they draft nick perry

keylime_5
02-27-2012, 03:55 PM
Why is Coples not a single entity on the poll? He is there on every single mock draft almost.

Stephen Hill? Are we talking about their 2nd round pick b/c he's much more likely to be available in round 2 for them. No one in the top 20 will even think about taking Hill. You people kill me....Guy runs a 4.36 40 so he is a top 10 pick all of a sudden? Nevermind that he is a drop machine that has marginal college production.

bitonti
02-27-2012, 04:08 PM
Why is Coples not a single entity on the poll? He is there on every single mock draft almost.

agreed that Coples makes alot of sense for them. And he's an outstanding fit for their 4-3.

Since we are talking about it, what are his so called character concerns that would make Gene Smith veto that pick? his motor? it's not like he's on the police blotter.

toonsterwu
02-27-2012, 04:11 PM
I don't recall anything serious with Coples either. More work ethic issues than anything. Granted, he doesn't seem to fit the type of guy Gene Smith has taken in recent years, but I don't recall his character being a huge problem off-field.

Dallas357
02-27-2012, 04:59 PM
A guard with the 7th pick? Lbs when they're loaded at lb? You don't take a lb at 7 anyway. A running back when you have the league leading rusher? wtf

asdf1223
02-27-2012, 05:04 PM
I'm disappointed nobody has made a random small school guy joke yet. That said I think they take Courtney Upshaw.

RaiderNation
02-27-2012, 05:04 PM
I think they either go Coples or trade back and get Floyd/Wright/Jeffery later in the 1st depending on how far back they move. Teams will want to move up ahead of Carolina to get a DT(Poe or Brockers?) or maybe move up ahead Miami or Buffalo to get a pass rusher or OT like Riley Reiff at 7.

Jets could make a move to 7 to get Poe, I saw Rex Ryan front row during the 44 bench reps and know he had to be impressed with the field drills and 40 time. Maybe Jerry Jones and the Cowboys potentially try to make a big move to counter the Redskins if they get RG3, that Dallas defense could use help all around on defense.

RaiderNation
02-27-2012, 05:08 PM

That's why you don't run, and Blackmon's stock stayed steady while Wright has to be dropping on many boards. Wright will still be very good deep threat, but I think his 40 time shows teams he isn't worth the top 15 pick and probably will fall behind Michael Floyd as well.

DeepThreat
02-27-2012, 05:10 PM
I think they either go Coples or trade back and get Floyd/Wright/Jeffery later in the 1st depending on how far back they move. Teams will want to move up ahead of Carolina to get a DT(Poe or Brockers?) or maybe move up ahead Miami or Buffalo to get a pass rusher or OT like Riley Reiff at 7.

Jets could make a move to 7 to get Poe, I saw Rex Ryan front row during the 44 bench reps and know he had to be impressed with the field drills and 40 time. Maybe Jerry Jones and the Cowboys potentially try to make a big move to counter the Redskins if they get RG3, that Dallas defense could use help all around on defense.

With Gene Smith's aversion to character issues, I doubt the Jaguars go Floyd or Jeffery. Not sure they trade back either. It seems like if Jacksonville likes a guy, they will take him with their current pick, regardless of what his actual value might be.

gpngc
02-27-2012, 07:33 PM
I'm starting to think Perry might have a chance...

I didn't add Coples because he didn't show great football character (lack of effort at times/rumors of playing not to get injured this season/the whole UNC team quit). I'm not sure if Smith views those red flags as different from off-field ones (I could argue they are WORSE). Also, Coples' senior year tape doesn't scream 7th overall...

This one is a quagmire for me.

Dallas357
02-28-2012, 12:01 PM
Not getting the upshaw prediction at all?.... They have plenty of lbs! 2 of the best in the league in fact. They need a de,cb,wr. If they don't get williams in fa, then maybe coples...But people are saying around there that he reminds them of derrick harvey, so instant scratch.

scottyboy
02-28-2012, 12:30 PM
well coples blows and will bust, so there's that. Wright disappointed with his 40 (not like that's super important, but still), blackmon probably won't be there and Dre' and Gilmore arent top 10 values.

2 of the best LB'ers in the league? Smith I give you...but who's the 2nd? Poz? yeah...ok, he's not even a top 20 lb'er.

Why would decastro not be a good pick? Because he's a guard? He's someone who would improve that OL drastically to start on day 1. Martin or Reiff would work too. I don't get the whole "he's a guard thing". Dude's the 2nd most talented guy in the draft and would open up more holes for MJD and be protection for Gabbert (not like it matters, but still)

gpngc
02-28-2012, 12:32 PM
The Sideline View's Adam Caplan suggests Baylor WR Kendall Wright's slow "official" (4.61) forty time at the Combine was due in large part to an inability to get cleanly out of his stance.
"Keep in mind he won't be playing out of a track stance at the next level," wrote Caplan. Wright was hand-timed as fast as 4.45, and he plays in the 4.3-4.4 range in games. "He’s the most explosive wide receiver in this draft and it’s not even close," Caplan adds. "...Any scouting staff that drops his draft grade significantly after one subpar workout should not keep their jobs."
Source: The Sideline View
Feb 28 - 1:10 PM

Relevant, especially since Smith doesn't care where the internet has a guy ranked.

scottyboy
02-28-2012, 12:47 PM
yeah, I think Wright very well may be the pick. I don't care much for 40 times and he plays much faster than what he ran

it's more a personal thing where I'm not that big of a wright fan, but he's a very viable option at 7

H.O.O.D
02-28-2012, 12:51 PM
well coples blows and will bust, so there's that. Wright disappointed with his 40 (not like that's super important, but still), blackmon probably won't be there and Dre' and Gilmore arent top 10 values.

2 of the best LB'ers in the league? Smith I give you...but who's the 2nd? Poz? yeah...ok, he's not even a top 20 lb'er.

Why would decastro not be a good pick? Because he's a guard? He's someone who would improve that OL drastically to start on day 1. Martin or Reiff would work too. I don't get the whole "he's a guard thing". Dude's the 2nd most talented guy in the draft and would open up more holes for MJD and be protection for Gabbert (not like it matters, but still)

Clint Session will be back as the starting WLB. He signed a 5 year deal last year with 11.5 million guaranteed. Poz was their leading tackler and also got a new deal last year, 6 years 42 million + 15 mill guaranteed.

Luke Kuechly IMO might be in this discussion if not for the new contacts put out in July.

Decastro, Martin and Reiff can be in the discussion however and if not they will look at WR's or DE's as there is no value at corner for them unless Claiborne falls.

scottyboy
02-28-2012, 01:00 PM
i'm not slotting Kuechly in here because they do have bigger needs. Forget about Session, but neither him nor Poz are top of the league LB'ers. that's just silly.

I think it's gonna be between an OL and WR like Wright...but who knows with Gene calling the shots.

MidwayMonster31
02-28-2012, 01:07 PM
I've heard Britton might go to guard, so Reiff will make the most sense if that happens. They're all going to get fired anyway after Gabbert plays them into a top 3 pick, so they might as well try to take the most pro-ready guy available.

IrishBrowns
02-28-2012, 01:08 PM
I definitely doesn't help his stock but it doesn't hurt it as much as people are making out.

There is a difference between Kendall Wright running 4.6 when everytime you put on the tape he looks like one of the fastest guys on the field, and say if Blackmon had run 4.65/4.7.

If a guy looks like he may have issues with speed on tape and runs slow it confirms your opinion on him. If a guy looks like a burner and runs poorly you just have to rewatch the tape or wait until they run again.

Remember Joe Haden always looked like one of the fastest guys on the field and ran 4.57 at the combine. It didn't really hurt his stock.

Yeah, just saying 3 weeks ago he was a top 20 pick..But it seems with the heightened hype around RGIII, that has helped Wright's draft status as well.

Also, Blackmon is extremely fast as well, and I think he plays faster than his 40 time. Just was curious how it had raised. I know after Haden ran his their were a quite of bit of skeptics from Browns fans...cuz we wanted a phenomenal athlete/freak. and it turns out Haden is a freak. So yeah, I understand what you're saying. I just think ultimately the hype around RGIII has helped Wright's draft position as well

H.O.O.D
02-28-2012, 01:16 PM
i'm not slotting Kuechly in here because they do have bigger needs. Forget about Session, but neither him nor Poz are top of the league LB'ers. that's just silly.

I think it's gonna be between an OL and WR like Wright...but who knows with Gene calling the shots.

I don't think those guys are in the discussion as top players at their position but both players are good in this system and there is no need to look to upgrade them. They have more pressing needs.

Don't rule out DE for the Jags. It could be Coples or it could even be another Alualu situation, where they like their guy moreso than where most will feel his value truly lies.

bitonti
02-28-2012, 01:29 PM
I didn't add Coples because he didn't show great football character (lack of effort at times/rumors of playing not to get injured this season/the whole UNC team quit). I'm not sure if Smith views those red flags as different from off-field ones (I could argue they are WORSE). Also, Coples' senior year tape doesn't scream 7th overall... .

If Coples played to his physical potential he'd be a top 3 lock. Getting him at 7 is kind of a steal.

scottyboy
02-28-2012, 03:06 PM
If Coples played to his physical potential he'd be a top 3 lock. Getting him at 7 is kind of a steal.

but that is an absolute tremendous if. hence why I think he's going to bust. It's just not always there for him which is incredibly frustrating.

that and that ugly ass brand thing but that's a whole other story...

Dallas357
02-28-2012, 04:04 PM

You didn't watch poz play last year then.
Yes because he's a guard, and their guards are good. And monroe and britton at the tackles are solid. OL isn't the issue. Guard or Lb doesn't improve the team that much from what they have. You don't take lb when you have d smith, and signed poz and clint session last off season. You just don't take one at 7 when it's not even a need at all.

Wr or Cb. Maybe de depending what they do in fa. I think blackmon falls to 7 anyway.

csice
02-28-2012, 04:42 PM
Yes because he's a guard, and their guards are good. And monroe and britton at the tackles are solid. OL isn't the issue. Guard or Lb doesn't improve the team that much from what they have. You don't take lb when you have d smith, and signed poz and clint session last off season. You just don't take one at 7 when it's not even a need at all.

Wr or Cb. Maybe de depending what they do in fa. I think blackmon falls to 7 anyway.

Agreed, as far as 4-3 MLB's go, Poz is near the top. Assuming neither Blackmon or Claiborne fall, I'm thinking it will either be Wright, Floyd, Ingram, or maybe even Reiff.

scottyboy
02-28-2012, 04:49 PM

I was never on the LB to Jax at 7 train anyway...I'm just saying Poz isn't a top 20 LB in the league. he's very good, but he's not even top 20, so you need to relax a little on that one. LB isn't a weakness for them at all.

I still think Decastro would help that OL and offense tremendously

TheSlinger
02-28-2012, 06:01 PM
I was never on the LB to Jax at 7 train anyway...I'm just saying Poz isn't a top 20 LB in the league. he's very good, but he's not even top 20, so you need to relax a little on that one.

Yeah, he is, easily.

scottyboy
02-28-2012, 06:22 PM
Yeah, he is, easily.

i'm not going to hi-jack this thread with what will turn into a linebacker debate, but there are easily 10-15 LB'ers i can name without thinking better than Poz, and easily another 5-10 if I sat down and thought through all the teams, but agree to disagree. And even still, top 20 isn't a "top LB" like he was claimed to be anyway...

one thing we all know is, Gene Smith will keep us on the edge of our seats