PDA

View Full Version : Bold Prediction: Vontaze Burfict Goes Undrafted

BeerBaron
02-27-2012, 02:13 PM
Seriously.

Throughout the the past year, I could probably count on one hand how many sites have even had him ranked as a first round talent, with plenty pushing him into the 80s or 90s.

A hotheaded player with elite physical talent is a really boiled down description of what I've seen and heard it would seem.

But now, you take away the "elite" from "physical talent" with a pair of Brandon Spikes-level awful combine runs and you're left with a hot headed player whose "first instinct is to swing on a guy" (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/26/burfict-says-hes-misunderstood/) and you're left with garbage.

One scout couldn't believe the ASU coaching staff kept the guy around. (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/27/vontaze-burficts-rough-combine-continues/)

So my bold prediction is that no one touches him. He goes undrafted and that is that.

SuperPacker
02-27-2012, 02:18 PM
Completely agree.

He has NO talent. Someone tell me what he's good at....

NOTHING!

He's slow, cant cover, cant get off blocks, **** instincts and a terrible attitude.

DiG
02-27-2012, 02:20 PM
he is pretty good at watching from the sideline...

http://ucla.ocregister.com/files/2011/11/Burfict1.jpg

ATLDirtyBirds
02-27-2012, 02:20 PM
Completely agree.

He has NO talent. Someone tell me what he's good at....

NOTHING!

He's slow, cant cover, cant get off blocks, **** instincts and a terrible attitude.

Watch the pop he makes on contact/at the POA.

He'll be drafted, no doubt. 3rd-4th.

BeerBaron
02-27-2012, 02:21 PM
I'm starting to wonder what the hype was too. I caught few Arizona State games last year and really looked hard at him and couldn't figure it out. I thought maybe I just caught some bad games by him (I believe one he got benched after 2 personal foul penalties...)

Now I'm just done with him. Off my draft board he would go.

SuperPacker
02-27-2012, 02:22 PM

So he can hit hard? Find a random guy of the street that doesnt know the rules of football, but can hit hard and you'll have Vontaze Burfict.

AntoinCD
02-27-2012, 02:22 PM
It's disappointing because the guy has major talent, but his aggressiveness is his downfall.

I never thought he was the kind of athlete some made him out to be. He explodes through his tackles with such verosity it makes him look faster than he is getting to the ball carrier, but I never saw the sideline to sideline fluidity needed.

He also lacks discipline and can get beaten with play action.

Before the season he was a risky prospect IMO and then it has just gone down hill. There's also the rumours that he absolutely bombed the interviews this week.

Some team may take a late round flyer on him but he's not a player I would want

redbills
02-27-2012, 02:23 PM

What's what I think. Someone will roll the dice in the 3-4 range.

BeerBaron
02-27-2012, 02:24 PM
It's disappointing because the guy has major talent, but his aggressiveness is his downfall.

I never thought he was the kind of athlete some made him out to be. He explodes through his tackles with such verosity it makes him look faster than he is getting to the ball carrier, but I never saw the sideline to sideline fluidity needed.

He also lacks gap discipline and can get beaten with play action.

Before the season he was a risky prospect IMO and then it has just gone down hill. There's also the rumours that he absolutely bombed the interviews this week.

Some team may take a late round plyer on him but he's not a player I would want

A link to those is in one of the links in my first post. That is where the "my first instinct is to swing at a guy" comment came from.

Also:

"You just scratch your head at some of the knucklehead things he does on tape," said one NFL coach. "It was the same thing over and over and over again with him. He seemed to personify why that team always seemed to underachieve."

Ouch.

AntoinCD
02-27-2012, 02:27 PM
A link to those is in one of the links in my first post. That is where the "my first instinct is to swing at a guy" comment came from.

Also:

Ouch.

Yeah im in work and can't open the link but it has been reported by a few people.

Throughout the last two years some teams (USC especially) basically went after him to piss him off and get a personal foul. That's inexcusable. It's bad enough giving away stupid penalties but when you get a reputation for it and still do it then you're just killing your team.

vidae
02-27-2012, 02:28 PM
I'm pretty confident in Taze being drafted, but it won't be until laaaate.

BeerBaron
02-27-2012, 02:29 PM
Yeah im in work and can't open the link but it has been reported by a few people.

Throughout the last two years some teams (USC especially) basically went after him to piss him off and get a personal foul. That's inexcusable. It's bad enough giving away stupid penalties but when you get a reputation for it and still do it then you're just killing your team.

And NFL teams will do that too, no doubt. Like the Packers untying Suh's shoes after every play. They got under his skin and we all know the rest of the story.

When team know they can get a free 15 yards out of you, they'll go after you.

FUNBUNCHER
02-27-2012, 02:30 PM
He's a headcase. Psychologically fragile. Reminds me a lot of Maurice Clarett.

jrdrylie
02-27-2012, 02:32 PM
He'll be drafted, but it will be very late. If I had to make a guess, I'd say 5th round to Detroit. They seem to like having assholes on their defense.

killxswitch
02-27-2012, 02:33 PM
Also, he is fat. Like, Alshon Jeffrey pre-combine fat.

vidae
02-27-2012, 02:34 PM
He has a chance to improve a bit at his pro day, but man, it doesn't look good.

Shane P. Hallam
02-27-2012, 02:34 PM
I like how Burfict gets through traffic and I see more explosion on film than the 40, I will be interested to see the shuttle and 3 cone times, maybe they will be better.

That being said, he has never been my top LB and more of a late 1st option. I still think he is worth a pick, a Day 2 pick even because he does pretty well in coverage, can get through coverage, and lays the lumber.

BeerBaron
02-27-2012, 02:36 PM
I wouldn't say that the 5th is "very" late.

Look at it this way too...I would not draft head case, undisciplined players. And I wouldn't draft ultra slow, 5.00 40 running LBs...

Combine both into one player and he's not just off my draft board, I'm burning the card with his name on it.

ATLDirtyBirds
So he can hit hard? Find a random guy of the street that doesnt know the rules of football, but can hit hard and you'll have Vontaze Burfict.

Find a "random guy off the street" who has the first step Burfict has, along with his pop. You won't be able too. He's definitely a flawed prospect, but to say he's NOTHING, as you did, is just absurd.

Bengals78
But BB look!

http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Vontaze+Burfict+USC+v+Arizona+State+b5BAoW2KRdql.j pg

First roundzzzz

TACKLE
02-27-2012, 02:37 PM
Find a "random guy off the street" who has the first step Burfict has, along with his pop. You won't be able too. He's definitely a flawed prospect, but to say he's NOTHING, as you did, is just absurd.

Find a "single player in this draft" who has the pop Burfict does.

BeerBaron
02-27-2012, 02:37 PM
But BB look!

First roundzzzz

You know though....he does seem to be a Bengals type of player. And don't they have two firsts? Hmmm....

FUNBUNCHER
02-27-2012, 02:38 PM
Maualuga is a way better ILB prospect than Burfict in almost every category, despite both having a rep for being serious thumpers.

He just seems like he's burned out or something on playing the game of football.
Burfict showed up at the combine like he didn't give a ****.

Bengals78
02-27-2012, 02:38 PM
You know though....he does seem to be a Bengals type of player. And don't they have two firsts? Hmmm....

Im fully aware that a Jenkins/Burfict first round only makes too much sense....

vidae
02-27-2012, 02:41 PM
Combine both into one player and he's not just off my draft board, I'm burning the card with his name on it.

This made me lol so hard.

BeerBaron
02-27-2012, 02:41 PM
Hmmm....I wonder if his "first instinct" in response to the criticism will be to start swinging?

keylime_5
02-27-2012, 02:47 PM
after running a 5 second 40 today and having crappy broad/vertical jump numbers, I don't think that's such a bold prediction anymore. I expect him to be a late round pick at best.

SuperPacker
02-27-2012, 02:51 PM
Ok lol maybe you cant find a random guy off the street but whats the point of hitting hard if you cant even run fast enough to get your lazy arse off the bench in the first place.

AntoinCD
02-27-2012, 02:52 PM
I know a lot of people have been saying the obvious Brandon Spikes comparisons for Taze because both were thumping ILB-types and both ran plus 5 second 40s. But Spikes was seen as a defensive leader with tremendous instincts and was very good in coverage. Really without the eye gouging incident he was a pretty damn good prospect from an intangible aspect.

Taze isn't any kind of leader, he doesn't have the tape that Spikes had and has an explosive personality off the field. Add all that in with a very poor work out and he will fall.

The only positive I see for him is the fact that he can knock you out of your shoes and isn't afraid to get dirty in the trenches. Some team will take him but I just don't know when

keylime_5
02-27-2012, 02:56 PM
yeah, the only detractor on Spikes really was his 40 time......but he was so productive and instinctive, such a good leader and a good blitzer who made plays and wasn't as underachieving as Burfict on the field. Burfict's poor combine along with his mediocre junior year, huge red flags about his dirty play on the field, and probable bad interviews are gonna push him way farther down the draft than Spikes fell.

ChiFan24
02-27-2012, 02:57 PM
I wouldn't quite say undrafted, but 6th round to a team like Seattle or Cincinnati seems right to me. Most teams will remove him from their draft board completely.

Bengals78
02-27-2012, 02:58 PM
I wouldn't quite say undrafted, but 6th round to a team like Seattle or Cincinnati seems right to me. Most teams will remove him from their draft board completely.

Id take him then.
At worst he could force a fumble or two on Kickoffs I guess?

TACKLE
02-27-2012, 03:00 PM
Most teams will remove him from their draft board completely.

And you know this how?

redbills
02-27-2012, 03:01 PM
Im fully aware that a Jenkins/Burfict first round only makes too much sense....

That would be funny.

Caulibflower
02-27-2012, 03:04 PM

He's going to get drafted to be a violent hitter in the middle of the field, not a rangy, fluid defensive signal caller who's going to have a defense revolve around him. He's certainly not Kuechly. That debate's been put to rest.

You might as well be saying, "Well, any guy on the street who hits harder than most people in college football could play in the NFL."

Which is both almost true, and a pretty profound underestimation of Burfict's athleticism. I'm not even a huge fan of him, but this is people having a huge overreaction to the combine. All the people who didn't like him going into it get to hold up a slow 40 time as evidence that... he shouldn't be drafted? That's just silly. Burfict's not fast, but he's got great size, has no fear, and stops people when he hits them. That is precisely what you want crashing into an offense from the middle of your defense.

I like how Burfict gets through traffic and I see more explosion on film than the 40, I will be interested to see the shuttle and 3 cone times, maybe they will be better.

That being said, he has never been my top LB and more of a late 1st option. I still think he is worth a pick, a Day 2 pick even because he does pretty well in coverage, can get through coverage, and lays the lumber.

Running 4.9 instead of 4.6 combined with bad interviews probably did drop him a few rounds, but I'd still be somewhat surprised to see him make it past the 4th. Brandon Spikes ran a 5.00, had a vertical jump under 30 inches, tried to poke somebody's eyeball and still went in the second while never having the hype Burfict did. He isn't nearly the head case, but they're pretty similar players. I think Burfict's more naturally talented, so even with the character stuff I think there's going to be a number of teams that take a chance on that in the mid rounds. He's absolutely not going to go undrafted.

FUNBUNCHER
02-27-2012, 03:13 PM
Brandon Spike was a flat out better football player than Burfict. Some would argue Spikes was the best front 7 player on those UF teams. Spikes made more impact plays in a season IMO than Burfict has in his career.

Besides Burfict freelances. How is he ever going to earn the trust of his DC enough to ever develop into a starter AND keep his head on straight while he's sitting on the bench as a ST player??

Dude's head isn't right IMO to deal with the ups and downs of being an NFL player.
He can't handle success. He can't endure failure. Forget his alleged physical ability.

If he were genuinely an instinctive 'backer, I could overlook some of Burfict's negatives. But I don't see that type of player.

Burfict is the kind of guy who gets cut before the last preseason game, if not earlier.

What's the name of the former FSU LB who was undersized but looked all world in college but couldn't make it in the pros??

Burfict needs his head adjusted if he ever expects to become a decent NFL ILB.

Shane P. Hallam
02-27-2012, 03:15 PM
He's absolutely not going to go undrafted.

I try to shy away from the "absolutely" word in the NFL Draft. Can make you look bad later, haha.

I do feel like there may be some revisionist history going on with Burfict's on the field play in this thread because he tested poorly however.

BeerBaron
02-27-2012, 03:16 PM
I feel like the fact that him going undrafted is even a legitimate prediction at this point says a lot about him.

Caulibflower
02-27-2012, 03:22 PM
I try to shy away from the "absolutely" word in the NFL Draft. Can make you look bad later, haha.

I do feel like there may be some revisionist history going on with Burfict's on the field play in this thread because he tested poorly however.

There are no "absolutes" here, of course. But the second part is what I'm getting at - last week most people thought of him as a late first/second rounder when taking his ability and character into account. Suddenly there's a "4.9" next to his name and people think he's a different player. He's not. You never put on his tape and found yourself amazed that he ran somebody down way down the field - that's not his game. His game is getting into the middle of all the trash and hitting people. Hard. That's what he'll get drafted for, because he does it as well as anyone. But it'll be at a point where a coach or GM feels justified investing a pick on a talent that has the potential to hurt a team as well as help it... same as before. But trying to say he's going to fall all the way out of the draft now because he ran slow? Saying that a person on the street is the same caliber of athlete...because he ran a 4.9? Please.

Caulibflower
02-27-2012, 03:22 PM
I feel like the fact that him going undrafted is even a legitimate prediction at this point says a lot about him.

Haha... It's not a "legitimate prediction" just because you made a thread about it.

Bengals78
02-27-2012, 03:24 PM
I never saw his play as real first round talent.

TACKLE
02-27-2012, 03:25 PM
Haha... It's not a "legitimate prediction" just because you made a thread about it.

^^^^^^^^^^

Shane P. Hallam
02-27-2012, 03:29 PM
I never saw his play as real first round talent.

I gues JBCX may have been right about something then, haha.

BeerBaron
02-27-2012, 03:31 PM

It's absolutely a legitimate prediction or else I wouldn't have made it at all.

Don't attempt to discredit something by laughing at it. It just undercuts your own argument which was.....?

What does this guy do that you would want on you NFL team? Get personal fouls? Throw punches? Bomb every physical challenge and interview presented to him at the biggest job interview of his lifetime?

The guy is going to get the James Harrison treatment right away if he even gets on the field. Officials will be keyed in on and if he so much looks at a guy wrong, personal foul.

Or how about when a team annoys him? The Packers were untying Suh's shoes throughout the game up until he decided to stomp on a guy. Opposing teams will absolutely try to annoy Burfict until he does something stupid. When a guy openly admits his first instinct is to take a swing when under duress, you bet your ass teams will try to bait him into doing it.

You want to waste a draft pick on a "big hitter" and nothing else? Fine. You want to waste your coaches time trying to tame a head case when you could simply draft someone who isn't mental and save that time? Fine.

Just don't come crying to me when he's out of football.

vidae
02-27-2012, 03:35 PM

Why would anyone come crying to you?

Bengals78
02-27-2012, 03:36 PM

I saw a handful of ASU games and in everyone he was invisible or didnt stand out like everyone kept telling me.
When all you hear about a guy is "Ray Lewis 2.0" or "He is a such a beast" and then you never see him play like either of those and you hear about the off-field stuff and him being batshit crazy, I could never see it.

Caulibflower
02-27-2012, 03:38 PM
It's absolutely a legitimate prediction or else I wouldn't have made it at all.

Don't attempt to discredit something by laughing at it. It just undercuts your own argument which was.....?

He's still more than physically capable of being a starting MLB in the NFL.

What does this guy do that you would want on you NFL team?

Hits really, really hard. Disrupts the middle. Can cover.

Get personal fouls? Throw punches? Bomb every physical challenge and interview presented to him at the biggest job interview of his lifetime?

The guy is going to get the James Harrison treatment right away if he even gets on the field. Officials will be keyed in on and if he so much looks at a guy wrong, personal foul.

Or how about when a team annoys him? The Packers were untying Suh's shoes throughout the game up until he decided to stomp on a guy. Opposing teams will absolutely try to annoy Burfict until he does something stupid. When a guy openly admits his first instinct is to take a swing when under duress, you bet your ass teams will try to bait him into doing it.

You want to waste a draft pick on a "big hitter" and nothing else? Fine. You want to waste your coaches time trying to tame a head case when you could simply draft someone who isn't mental and save that time? Fine.

I'm not saying he's my favorite player, or that I'd target him in the draft. I'm just saying I think it's kind of an overreaction to say he's going to go undrafted. I mean... think about why you're saying this now. It's because the combine is going on right now. This thread exists because he ran slow. No one expected him to interview well. Everyone knows he's a head case. Despite that, he can play football at a high level, and at some point there will likely be a team that feels it's justified on drafting a player who's a character risk. They get drafted every year. Maurice Clarett was brought up; many people thought he shouldn't be drafted, yet he went in the third. You might call the Broncos idiots for that, but who's to say some other team wouldn't have picked him in the fourth? Troubled players still have value, and with Burfict, you're talking about a player who would likely be a first rounder if he didn't have the baggage and maybe ran a tenth or two faster. I just think saying he'll go undrafted is a bit... hasty. Reactionary.

A Perfect Score
02-27-2012, 03:53 PM
This is pretty reactionary, if you ask me. The same thing happened when Spikes ran a 5.0, and he still went in the second round. I don't see much talent differential, if any, between those two players, so unless he interviews very poorly, I don't think Burfict goes undrafted.

BeerBaron, if you don't understand what all the fuss was about after catching a few ASU games this year, then go watch his tape from last year as a SO. He has some extremely good games and he's as violent a football player as I've seen at the college level in the last few years, something that's very, very undervalued in what can be a league of wrap up tacklers.

Now, obviously there's a huge number of negatives to look at in this scenario as well. The 5.0 isn't representative of what's seen on tape, and I think if you let him play downhill, at least to start, he can still contribute early in his NFL career. He's one of those players who just needs to see the light, and the best you can do is give him the opportunity to do that and hope that eventually, he realizes what it takes to play professional football and wisens up. He won't go in the first like he could have if he had been eligible last year, but I certainly don't think he goes undrafted. Rounds 3-5 is where I see him now.

Go_Eagles77
02-27-2012, 03:57 PM
So his official time is 5.09... lol

Chargerfn909
02-27-2012, 04:02 PM
Thank God. I NEVER got why people were on this dudes jock. Knucklehead.

SuperPacker
02-27-2012, 04:09 PM
Last year he played at undrafted level and he's a c***. Thats why he is going to go undrafted.

killxswitch
02-27-2012, 04:09 PM
From what I saw of him I saw a 3rd-4th round player but I figured I was just missing something. He must've been completely different as a sophomore. So what happened?

jrdrylie
02-27-2012, 04:12 PM

Except that about two weeks before JBCX said he wasn't high on Burfict he said that he had potential to be a Ray Lewis type player.

vidae
02-27-2012, 04:13 PM
Last year he played at undrafted level and he's a c***. Thats why he is going to go undrafted.

Did you watch him play last year? He didn't play like he did as a Soph but he definitely did not play like an undrafted player.

Complex
02-27-2012, 04:18 PM
Against Georgia, I think it was Freshman year you could tell he was going to be good after that game. Then this year happen lol but I still like him and this thread is a overreaction.

I hope the Raven draft him or one of the Ryans.

SuperPacker
02-27-2012, 04:18 PM
Did you watch him play last year? He didn't play like he did as a Soph but he definitely did not play like an undrafted player.

I could count on one hand the amount of times i went "well done burfict". Go to any late round ILB prospect, watch their film and they probably played better than Burfict.

A Perfect Score
02-27-2012, 04:20 PM
I could count on one hand the amount if times i went "well done burfict". Go to any late round ILB prospect, watch their film and they probably played better than Burfict.

This is just ignorant and absolutely untrue. Even this past season, when his play dropped significantly, he still looks like a 2nd-3rd round guy. It's only after you factor in all the off field stuff, the combine, etc. that he should really begin to drop. His tape is far from unimpressive, even this season.

SuperPacker
02-27-2012, 04:25 PM
This is just ignorant and absolutely untrue. Even this past season, when his play dropped significantly, he still looks like a 2nd-3rd round guy. It's only after you factor in all the off field stuff, the combine, etc. that he should really begin to drop. His tape is far from unimpressive, even this season.

A month ago you were saying he should be going mid first round and the Ravens need to take him at #29, now your saying his play is worthy of round 2 or 3. Which is it?

Caulibflower
02-27-2012, 04:28 PM
I could count on one hand the amount of times i went "well done burfict". Go to any late round ILB prospect, watch their film and they probably played better than Burfict.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ysnPJnCqmKU/TKOCDM99kOI/AAAAAAAAAAs/pfkoUYlYNBM/s1600/MichaelJacksonSouthPark.jpg

"This is just ignorant."

Matthew Jones
02-27-2012, 04:42 PM
Burfict did not have a good season; even his coaches at Arizona State described his play as average. Towards the end of the season he had a bloated, soft build and wasn't playing fast at all.

Go_Eagles77
02-27-2012, 04:45 PM
A month ago you were saying he should be going mid first round and the Ravens need to take him at #29, now your saying his play is worthy of round 2 or 3. Which is it?

People are allowed to change their opinions, you know.

ChiFan24
02-27-2012, 04:48 PM
And you know this how?

You know, just because you like the guy as a prospect doesn't mean you have to get defensive with stupid questions. Obviously it's an opinion that I have, one that is shared by others in this thread including the OP. Never claimed to have inside knowledge. Do I really need to put IMO after everything?

Most teams aren't going to consider his "talent" worth the headache. That's my opinion.

DeepThreat
02-27-2012, 04:53 PM
You know, just because you like the guy as a prospect doesn't mean you have to get defensive with stupid questions. Obviously it's an opinion that I have, one that is shared by others in this thread including the OP. Never claimed to have inside knowledge. Do I really need to put IMO after everything?

Most teams aren't going to consider his "talent" worth the headache. That's my opinion.

You have no clue if NFL teams will remove him from their boards. That is speculation stated as fact.

MetSox17
02-27-2012, 04:54 PM

This again.

Overreaction Jones strikes again.

ChiFan24
02-27-2012, 04:54 PM
You have no clue if NFL teams will remove him from their boards. That is speculation stated as fact.

Yep, that's what I said in the thing that you quoted. Glad we're all on the same page.

DeepThreat
02-27-2012, 04:55 PM
Yep, that's what I said in the thing that you quoted. Glad we're all on the same page.

You said it right there, which is what TACKLE was commenting on.

ChiFan24
02-27-2012, 04:59 PM
You said it right there, which is what TACKLE was commenting on.

Right, and I'm saying it's ridiculous that it I need to put IMO after everything for people to know that it's just my opinion. Obviously nobody here "knows" anything.

SuperPacker
02-27-2012, 05:07 PM
Right, and I'm saying it's ridiculous that it I need to put IMO after everything for people to know that it's just my opinion. Obviously nobody here "knows" anything.

Im with you bro!

Most of these were probably saying "i KNOW Burfict is going to go first round" lol.

Caulibflower
02-27-2012, 05:12 PM
Im with you bro!

Most of these were probably saying "i KNOW Burfict is going to go first round" lol.

A lot of people who are now having to say, "No, he's not dropping all the way out of the draft..." had him going late first in a best-case scenario, third or fourth worst-case scenario. Most players don't have that wide of a projection arc; that's the effect of his character concerns. His poor workouts don't make him a different player, they just eliminate that best-case possibility. If you go back through the threads, I really doubt you're going to find many 'Taze homers.

SuperPacker
02-27-2012, 05:13 PM
A lot of people who are now having to say, "No, he's not dropping all the way out of the draft..." had him going late first in a best-case scenario, third or fourth worst-case scenario. Most players don't have that wide of a projection arc; that's the effect of his character concerns. His poor workouts don't make him a different player, they just eliminate that best-case possibility. If you go back through the threads, I really doubt you're going to find many 'Taze homers.

I've seen a few.

A Perfect Score
02-27-2012, 05:14 PM

Obviously when I said a month ago that the Ravens should draft him at 29, I wasn't expecting a 5.0 40. In fact, I had predicted he'd test through the roof due to the athleticism he's exhibited on tape throughout his entire career at ASU. When you pair a 2nd round grade on tape with perceived high upside, there's nothing wrong with me saying that I expected Burfict to go to the Ravens at 29. In fact, there are many, many mocks who share that exact reasoning.

SuperPacker
02-27-2012, 05:21 PM
Obviously when I said a month ago that the Ravens should draft him at 29, I wasn't expecting a 5.0 40. In fact, I had predicted he'd test through the roof due to the athleticism he's exhibited on tape throughout his entire career at ASU. When you pair a 2nd round grade on tape with perceived high upside, there's nothing wrong with me saying that I expected Burfict to go to the Ravens at 29. In fact, there are many, many mocks who share that exact reasoning.

Lol yeah no one expected that 40 time.

Well i just remember leaving Burfict out my mocks and being abused by Ravens fans saying it was a disgrace and that he was worthy of a much higher selection. But that was purely based on potential?

But then i could say what from his tape led you to believe he had potential but i wont cus i was meant to be asleep an hour and a half ago lol.

Caulibflower
02-27-2012, 05:28 PM
In fact, I had predicted he'd test through the roof due to the athleticism he's exhibited on tape throughout his entire career at ASU.

Also: "athleticism" =/= "speed."

At least not entirely. That is all.

wicket
02-27-2012, 05:35 PM
yeah, the only detractor on Spikes really was his 40 time......but he was so productive and instinctive, such a good leader and a good blitzer who made plays and wasn't as underachieving as Burfict on the field. Burfict's poor combine along with his mediocre junior year, huge red flags about his dirty play on the field, and probable bad interviews are gonna push him way farther down the draft than Spikes fell.

that and him poking eyes

Complex
02-27-2012, 05:49 PM
that and him poking eyes

Didn't he also have x-rated vid on the internet?

Rabscuttle
02-27-2012, 05:54 PM
Teams do take guys like this off their boards. Some organizations feel they don't need distractions or invest a whole ******** of time on one player who may or may not get his head out of his ass. Constantly putting himself ahead of team is reason enough for others.

I wanted to see him keep developing and become something special. My hopes were for him to become a young Junior Seau type that could freelance with a guy like Gary Plummer beside him covering up his mistakes when he guessed wrong. Oh well, he can always sling crack.

Scotty D
02-27-2012, 06:04 PM
Let him drop. He can come play behind Fairley and Suh.

FuzzyGopher
02-27-2012, 06:04 PM
Bombing interviews and under-performing in these tests (I don't even think he benched) just screams lack of preparation to me. He doesn't play slow on the field and failing these interviews is tough because most agents and these combine prep schools know what questions the teams are going to ask.

I bet if he actually took this thing seriously and trained for the 40, interviews etc. he wouldn't have performed nearly as bad.

Caulibflower
02-27-2012, 06:11 PM
Let him drop. He can come play behind Fairley and Suh.

That sounds like a management nightmare, but... I can't think of any running back who wouldn't be a little nervous running up the middle with those three coming.

steelersrock151
02-27-2012, 06:18 PM
He has a chance to redeem himself on his pro day, but I don't know if he can undo the damage he did to himself the last few days. He may have dropped himself to later day three draft status, when most people had him on day one before the Super Bowl.
He will get drafted. Just how low can he go?

JHL6719
02-27-2012, 06:20 PM
Burfict was never the player that his hype indicated. In fact, most of the hype surrounding Burfict came from his fanboys... that's it. Just like it did for Rey Maualuga.

All that nonsense about being a "feared" defender... "he's the guy that can make a defense feared", etc.

LOL.. since when was Arizona St.'s defense feared?

There are no feared defenses outside of the SEC. You want to see what a feared defense looks like? Look at the one Dont'a Hightower led.

Arizona St.'s defense is soft as drug store cotton... just like the overrated Vontaze Burfict. All you have to do is tell him that to his face and you'll get a free 15 yards on top of it.

descendency
02-27-2012, 07:06 PM
Sophomore year = average with some splash plays
--- Summer: The coaches probably said "Please stop doing dumbass things that get us big time penalties." ----
Junior Year = benched.

Scotty D
02-27-2012, 07:15 PM

There are no feared defenses outside of the SEC. You want to see what a feared defense looks like? Look at the one Dont'a Hightower led.

Arizona St.'s defense is soft as drug store cotton... just like the overrated Vontaze Burfict. All you have to do is tell him that to his face and you'll get a free 15 yards on top of it.

Come on...you can't blame one player for the play of a whole defensive unit. I'm not even trying to defend Burfict but you can't judge prospects like that.

holt_bruce81
02-27-2012, 07:21 PM
I've had him in the 3rd-4th round area for a few months now. Loved that half the board thought he was a top 20 pick not but 3 weeks ago.

Undrafted? no I doubt he does undrafted.

Don Vito
02-27-2012, 07:22 PM
He could fill a Brandon Spikes type role in the NFL if somehow he smartens up a bit, but that is the million dollar question. I don't think he will last past the third but crazier things have happened.

My prediction is the Ravens take him in the third. Who better for a headcase MLB with talent to develop under than the greatest MLB of all time who also has had some issues, murder case fwiw.

Taber21
02-27-2012, 07:23 PM
Burfict seems to be a big hitter, and not a whole lot else. The positive thing for him is we all love big hits...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YELoLH0AymM&feature

Brent
02-27-2012, 07:29 PM
if I were a special teams coach, I'd be so pumped to have him

thefridge15
02-27-2012, 08:18 PM
Let me get this straight: Burfict is a late first round prospect before the combine. He runs a slow 40 at the combine and was brutally honest in an interview and now he's undraftable. He had the same character/leadership/personal foul problems before the combine, but now they're even worse. Now everyone is piling on top of him to the point where you see this "there are rumors he bombed all his interviews" and "he has zero talent" and "find me a guy off the streets". This is getting ridiculous.

Rabscuttle
02-27-2012, 08:22 PM
I think it's been quite awhile since anyone saw him sniffing the first round and most had him third at best for some time and that was mostly people that believed Reverand Ray could save him.

Prowler
02-27-2012, 08:24 PM
4-6th round sounds right. He can join the other developmental backups.

holt_bruce81
02-27-2012, 08:30 PM
Let me get this straight: Burfict is a late first round prospect before the combine. He runs a slow 40 at the combine and was brutally honest in an interview and now he's undraftable. He had the same character/leadership/personal foul problems before the combine, but now they're even worse. Now everyone is piling on top of him to the point where you see this "there are rumors he bombed all his interviews" and "he has zero talent" and "find me a guy off the streets". This is getting ridiculous.

No, people thought he was a first rounder because of the hype. Then they saw him play.

killxswitch
02-27-2012, 08:47 PM
I haven't seen him mocked in the 1st in quite a while. The Combine is more just further confirmation that he is not who he was previously hyped up to be.

Babylon
02-27-2012, 08:56 PM
He brought so much attention on himself at ASU that he almost convinced people that he was this great LB who just so happened to be a headcase. They got the second part right.

Wrathman
02-27-2012, 09:47 PM
No, people thought he was a first rounder because of the hype. Then they saw him play.

There's a reason people are posting their prospect opinions here rather than turning in their reports to the scouting department of an NFL team...as much as we hate to admit it.

ATLDirtyBirds
02-27-2012, 09:48 PM
This thread really has amazed me.

vidae
02-27-2012, 09:49 PM
This thread really has amazed me.

You're not the only one sir. People see a 40 time and freak out. It's actually kind of funny.

descendency
02-27-2012, 09:50 PM
Let me get this straight: Burfict is a late first round prospect before the combine.

First round picks aren't benched in college.

Caulibflower
02-27-2012, 11:31 PM
My prediction is the Ravens take him in the third. Who better for a headcase MLB with talent to develop under than the greatest MLB of all time who also has had some issues, murder case fwiw.

That's... hilarious, because I can totally see that happening. Ray Lewis would not let him commit those penalties, and Ozzie Newsome is the master of scooping up talent when it falls. I can see it.

Complex
02-27-2012, 11:39 PM
I kinda want Bill Belicheck draft him. I want to see the media reaction since most of the time they say something like "Bill Belicheck draft smart guys that are football players".

I would be so happy with Taze learning from Ray Lewis or the Ryans.

Ravens1991
02-27-2012, 11:43 PM
You can see in his media interview that he would love getting picked by Baltimore. If I draft this guy I would hire a psychiatrist and get him professional help. Guys like Suh/Harrison let there emotions get the best of them but it seems like Burfict will need professional help reading reports about him.

JHL6719
02-27-2012, 11:43 PM
Come on...you can't blame one player for the play of a whole defensive unit. I'm not even trying to defend Burfict but you can't judge prospects like that.

I'm not blaming the entire defensive unit on Burfict. I'm trying to get the point across that he's not a player that can legitimately bring "toughness" into a defensive unit. That is precisely the myth that a large part of his hype was based on to begin with.

When you watch him play and disregard the stupid penalties, you see a very undisciplined and mediocre college linebacker.

Now that he's tested like the slug that he is, when you project his lack of speed and athletic ability to the NFL where players are bigger, faster, and smarter than the one's he couldn't dominate in college... well...

...you have an extremely average prospect who's lack of athletic upside isn't even enough to off-set the tremendous amount of risk.

Ozzie Newsome won't touch him. He'll grab a guy like Hightower from his alma mater and get not only a better kid who's coachable, but also a better player.

holt_bruce81
02-27-2012, 11:44 PM
It's not an overreaction to te 40-time.

The 40-time just adds on to a long list of crap that people have found out since his Sophomore year of college.

Undeciplined, Character concerns, runs around blocks, horrible instincts, takes plays off, Rumored to have done bad in his interviews......And now you find out he's ******* slower than Matt Kalil.

Complex
02-28-2012, 12:20 AM
Burfict was never the player that his hype indicated. In fact, most of the hype surrounding Burfict came from his fanboys... that's it. Just like it did for Rey Maualuga.

All that nonsense about being a "feared" defender... "he's the guy that can make a defense feared", etc.

Yeah cause it was Dont'a Hightower that made Alabama defense one of the most feared defenses last season. It wasn't all those 5 star and 4 star recruits that played with him.

JHL6719
02-28-2012, 01:31 AM
Yeah cause it was Dont'a Hightower that made Alabama defense one of the most feared defenses last season. It wasn't all those 5 star and 4 star recruits that played with him.

I think you may have misunderstood me. Let me clarify:

Hightower was a LEADER on a truly feared, and elite defense. One of the best defenses college football has seen in decades.

The linebacker position is one that requires LEADERSHIP, and football IQ due to it's nature. Hightower's versatility is also what allowed Bama's defense to be so multiple in it's personnel. He would drop down and play DE in certain packages... putting pressure on quarterbacks playing with his hand in the dirt.

Burfict displays ZERO leadership. The coach that said Burfict was the face of Arizona St.'s problems and underachieving ways knows what he's talking about.

The times when they needed a guy like Burfict to step up and show it the most, he was nowhere to be found. Instead, he was usually the one responsible for hurting the team with his stupidity.

Caulibflower
02-28-2012, 03:26 AM
LwKrdgwL7g0

4:18.

Flaming Mo
02-28-2012, 03:28 AM
Against Georgia, I think it was Freshman year you could tell he was going to be good after that game. Then this year happen lol but I still like him and this thread is a overreaction.

I hope the Raven draft him or one of the Ryans.

The problem is he was a different player then physically. He atleast gained 10-15 lbs of bad weight which robbed him of some of his speed and athletisism.

Don Vito
02-28-2012, 08:06 AM
LwKrdgwL7g0

I went to 4:00 so I wouldn't miss it. I saw the **** at 4:02 and I stopped watching.

Caulibflower
02-28-2012, 10:07 AM
I went to 4:00 so I wouldn't miss it. I saw the **** at 4:02 and I stopped watching.

I don't really understand why some people completely write off a prospect because he makes mistakes in college. The positives of his game, his upside, is pretty special.

metafour
02-28-2012, 10:39 AM
The positives of his game, his upside, is pretty special.

What is the positive of his game? The fact that he makes a "big hit" 1 in 10 times when he just so happens to be in the right place at the right time? The guy's entire hype came off of big hits because thats all you saw in highlight reels...what people failed to see is the stupid amount of times he was nowhere to be found because he just aimlessly runs around the field.

Evaluators are going to crush a kid that doesn't even seem to be able to play within a set scheme.

Prowler
02-28-2012, 03:20 PM
To sum this up for people

Reasons for going undrafted:

1. 17 personal fouls in 35 games.

2. “I could've played better. That's what hurt me at times. The coaches kind of messed me up. I didn't know if I would start a game or be benched. It hurt me, but I tried to fight through it.”

3. Outlandishly bad combine performance
a) 5.09 40 time- I'd rather have Poe as my MLB.
b) 30" Vertical Jump??? middle school girls are better than that, I am better.
c) Failed to make the top 15 in any category....

4. He's had academic issues.

5. Undisciplined on the field.

Reasons to like him
1) "Physical freak"
2) 5 star recruit coming out of HS
3) He "reminds people of Ray Lewis"

I'm going to go with potential 6th-7th round pick because a team might want exclusive rights to him for training camp, but he's absolutely nothing as a prospect right now.

JoeJoeBrown
04-12-2012, 08:06 AM
Not even on browns draft board. (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7435/vontaze-burfict)

He is a turd.
Updating a previous item, the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that the Browns have "zero interest" in Arizona State LB Vontaze Burfict.
We'd wager heavily that Burfict isn't even on Cleveland's draft board. Burfict isn't a good football player, and his litany of character concerns will most likely knock him out of the draft. He's this year's version of Adarius Bowman. Apr 11 - 8:07 PM

P-L
04-12-2012, 08:55 AM
What may have seen like a bold prediction two months ago, doesn't seem so bold now. Once you cut through the hype, there is very little substance to Burfict's game. His junior year film is pretty bad and even when you go back to his sophomore year film, that isn't all that much better. He's a late round pick, at best, without the character issues. Add those in, and he wouldn't even be on my draft board.

Monomach
04-12-2012, 10:06 AM
LwKrdgwL7g0

That is some horrible game tape there. I was laughing after the first minute.

Not sure why I'm supposed to be impressed at 4:18. He never moved when the ball was snapped and the back ran straight at him. Yay. He got a stop.

killxswitch
04-12-2012, 12:01 PM
So is his bad attitude the only thing that got him any hype? People thought because he seems a little unhinged he is automatically a good player?

He's not a physical freak. He has always looked soft and kind of chubby to me. He's clearly not fast. His tape shows bad instincts. He can deliver a hit, if he finds himself in the right position. His attitude is absolutely awful and hurts his team. This doesn't seem like a good player at all. How was he ever considered a top 15 pick?

SolidGold
04-12-2012, 12:08 PM
So is his bad attitude the only thing that got him any hype? People thought because he seems a little unhinged he is automatically a good player?

He's not a physical freak. He has always looked soft and kind of chubby to me. He's clearly not fast. His tape shows bad instincts. He can deliver a hit, if he finds himself in the right position. His attitude is absolutely awful and hurts his team. This doesn't seem like a good player at all. How was he ever considered a top 15 pick?

I think people thought he had a cool name and thought it was cool to shorten it to 'Taze when talking about him on internet message boards. It's been a fairly unprecedented fall for a prospect who had so much hype and was considered a potential first round pick at the end of the 2011 season.

eaglesalltheway
04-12-2012, 12:10 PM

Terrible instincts, that's what is really going to hurt his draft stock. I'm sure if everything about him stayed the same (lack of athletecism, character concerns, etc...) stayed the same, but he had good instincts, he could easily be looking at a mid-round pick, maybe even a third rounder. Plenty of less athletic LBs get drafted in that range that have good instincts and football IQ. His lack of those two things is what really does him in.

BeerBaron
04-12-2012, 12:17 PM
I like how I got ripped up for suggesting this initially and now the last 6 or so recent posts have all supported my claims.

I definitely wouldn't touch him personally and still think there's a very good chance of him going undrafted. If someone does take him, I expect it to be very, very late.

JoeJoeBrown
04-12-2012, 12:28 PM
I like how I got ripped up for suggesting this initially and now the last 6 or so recent posts have all supported my claims.

I definitely wouldn't touch him personally and still think there's a very good chance of him going undrafted. If someone does take him, I expect it to be very, very late.

I never ripped you. I've always thought he was a terrible football player. I've crapped on 'Taze on these very boards (not in this thread, I don't think).

The fact that Herbstreit fawned over him made me detest him even further.

SolidGold
04-12-2012, 12:30 PM
I was never a big fan - lots of hype, didn't think he would go undrafted though but after the smoke clears who knows what will happen. Shannahan was stupid enough to draft Clarett in round 3.

tjsunstein
04-12-2012, 12:33 PM
Special team dream but not worth a pick in the draft. Pick him up as a UDFA, hope you have the coaching staff to straighten him out and if not there's no loss. He's too much of a risk to be worth the coaching project to me however. Give me Tank Carder or Adrien Cole over him.

And unlike others in this thread would like to admit, I was on the hype train for a while. Really thought he could be a special player. Obviously not anymore. He never got better.

Thunder&Lightning
04-12-2012, 02:33 PM
Think its more of a bold prediction saying "he will" get drafted

descendency
04-12-2012, 02:42 PM
If I felt like one of my coaches could mentor him, the absolute earliest I'd consider is in the 7th round. And that would be just to guarantee he ends up in my camp instead of in jail.

bornnraisedwhodat
04-12-2012, 02:54 PM
I have him going undrafted also. But I can see someone like the Jets snatching him up in the 5th or 6th round.

Sloopy
04-12-2012, 03:17 PM
I might consider him with a 5th-6th rounder.

I still think the kid has potential although his Pre-draft #s haven't been impressive.

I like his demeanor and I still think he shows athleticism on the field. Has the size to take on blocks and may just need some coaching. can definitely push the pile.

I also for one don't question his instincts. He needs coaching but the kid has a nose for the ball and uses his athleticism to get there.

I mean in the very video above he sniffs out the screen gets off a wood-be blocker and would have made the tackle if the RB didn't drop the ball.

Has the instincts to get his hands up as Barks is throwing the ball to make the pick.

He doesn't have elite instincts but he has decent enough instincts.

So yea, I'd take him with a 5th-6th because I'm sure someone will jump on him in that area or at the very least in the 7th.

Instead of taking some career back up type in the later rounds, I guarantee some team will take a flyer on him in the chance that he DOES get his **** together and pans out.

cmd34
04-12-2012, 05:24 PM
That is some horrible game tape there. I was laughing after the first minute.

Not sure why I'm supposed to be impressed at 4:18. He never moved when the ball was snapped and the back ran straight at him. Yay. He got a stop.

4:18 marked he shedded an offensive lineman and knocked a full on running(power) back to the ground from a standstill. He closes well and he delivers impactful hits.

He played well that game. In fact, had he played every down like he did in the 3 games in his careeer against USC he'd be a first rounder. Kid has deep, deeeep emotional issues but he has some talent. Someone will draft him.

Clarkw267
04-12-2012, 05:33 PM
4:18 marked he shedded an offensive lineman and knocked a full on running(power) back to the ground from a standstill. He closes well and he delivers impactful hits.

He played well that game. In fact, had he played every down like he did in the 3 games in his careeer against USC he'd be a first rounder. Kid has deep, deeeep emotional issues but he has some talent. Someone will draft him.

He absolutely did not play well in that game. He had a ball thrown right into his hands, sweet. However he is out of position consistently, is slow reacting to the play, and misses more tackles than he makes. What the heck are you watching?

cmd34
04-12-2012, 05:47 PM
He read Barkley perfectly on that play and snuck right into the passing lane.

Sloopy
04-12-2012, 07:24 PM
He absolutely did not play well in that game. He had a ball thrown right into his hands, sweet. However he is out of position consistently, is slow reacting to the play, and misses more tackles than he makes. What the heck are you watching?

I might ask you the same thing.

The ball was hardly thrown right to him, he had to read the QBs eyes and react quickly to jump up and grab it, not to mention hold on to it.

For every play where he disengages off a block the wrong way and the RB goes by him, there is a play where he stone walls a guy at the goal line or sniffs out a screen pass (would have been a hit in the backfield if the RB holds on, and i'd venture to say it would have been quite a violent hit).

He makes some bad plays but he also makes a fair amount of good plays. The potential is there and he will take some coaching.

I think his poor relationship with his coach really hurt him this season.

descendency
04-12-2012, 08:13 PM
He makes some bad plays but he also makes a fair amount of good plays. The potential is there and he will take some coaching.

His potential is so deep, no one will ever get to it.

Sloopy
04-12-2012, 09:00 PM
His potential is so deep, no one will ever get to it.

I still think that a team will take a flyer on him in the later rounds.

Again, if a team is looking at taking a career back up or pure ST player, they may take a flyer on him instead at the chance that he could be a potential starter.

If not I think at worst you've managed to land a career backup or ST player you were looking at in round 7 anyway.

I say I'd take him in the 5th or 6th just because I DO think some team drafts him and if I was interested (as a Ravens fan I am) I would nab him up.

I personally wouldn't mind the Ravens using one of their 5th rounders on him.

JMO

draftguru151
04-12-2012, 09:28 PM
I wouldn't say that the 5th is "very" late.

Look at it this way too...I would not draft head case, undisciplined players. And I wouldn't draft ultra slow, 5.00 40 running LBs...

SWEET, SWEET DICKS IN MY MOUTH. I HAVE NEVER LAUGHED THIS HARD. EVER..

descendency
04-12-2012, 09:58 PM
He could fill a Brandon Spikes type role in the NFL if somehow he smartens up a bit, but that is the million dollar question. I don't think he will last past the third but crazier things have happened.

Spikes was never a 4.4 guy though. Burfict was definitely better than a 4.9 LB.

Spikes cares. Burfict is going to hate himself in 10 years when he realizes he threw it all away.

Clarkw267
04-12-2012, 11:14 PM
I might ask you the same thing.

The ball was hardly thrown right to him, he had to read the QBs eyes and react quickly to jump up and grab it, not to mention hold on to it.

For every play where he disengages off a block the wrong way and the RB goes by him, there is a play where he stone walls a guy at the goal line or sniffs out a screen pass (would have been a hit in the backfield if the RB holds on, and i'd venture to say it would have been quite a violent hit).

I think his poor relationship with his coach really hurt him this season.

Is that the same play, where after he intercepts the ball he is outran by the defensive linemen on his own team?

Burfict was attempting to rush the passer. USC tried to throw a middle screen that ended up being thrown directly at him, due to his inability to get to the QB. If you watch that play, and see "reacting quickly" or "reading the QBs eyes" then you cannot be helped.

Terrible gap discipline, countless bad angles, slow reacting to the snap.... he is everything you don't want in a LB.

Look at the back to back plays at 3:42... what is he doing? He has no idea. When you add in the awful workout numbers, and the fact that he's a mental case. He's undraftable.

holt_bruce81
04-12-2012, 11:23 PM
I hate When people compare Burfict to Brandon Spikes.

Spikes was 10x the player Burfict is coming out.

Sloopy
04-13-2012, 05:30 AM
Is that the same play, where after he intercepts the ball he is outran by the defensive linemen on his own team?

Burfict was attempting to rush the passer. USC tried to throw a middle screen that ended up being thrown directly at him, due to his inability to get to the QB. If you watch that play, and see "reacting quickly" or "reading the QBs eyes" then you cannot be helped.

Terrible gap discipline, countless bad angles, slow reacting to the snap.... he is everything you don't want in a LB.

Look at the back to back plays at 3:42... what is he doing? He has no idea. When you add in the awful workout numbers, and the fact that he's a mental case. He's undraftable.

And if you don't understand how hard it is to react to that ball being thrown that quickly, to jump up and get it, regardless of it's proximity to you, then you have never played football and can't be helped.

He definitely displays poor gap control at times, that can't be argued. Like much of his game, at times it's right on and other times it's questionable. The fact that there are plays where he puts it all together and looks pretty damn good is what I'm talking about.

The potential is there, I'm not saying he is a first round or a second round etc. I'm saying that this guy warrants a pick somewhere in the draft.

You can sit here and rip him all you want, he still displays more potential than probably most of the LBs slated for the later rounds.

Caddy
04-13-2012, 05:47 AM
I don't understand why that comment is 'bold'. It might have been before the combine...

jojo
04-13-2012, 08:29 AM
He is good at jumping over centers to fly into QBs faces, I saw him do that a couple of times.

Some team will draft him though, & 4th-7th sounds about right. Denver drafted Maurice Clarett didnt they?

eaglesalltheway
04-13-2012, 08:48 AM
USC tried to throw a middle screen that ended up being thrown directly at him, due to his inability to get to the QB. If you watch that play, and see "reacting quickly" or "reading the QBs eyes" then you cannot be helped.

This.

And the whole "he still had to..." argument is just dumb. Basically, what your saying (and I've played football, seems like clarkw has too) is "well he still had to have some form of reaction time and some athleticism. The ball wasn't fired (though not a lob), it is a relatively easy catch if you are within arms reach of it.

If you think that tape against USC is good... well, just read the last 5 words of clarkw's post that I quoted...

That being said, despite me not being a big fan of his, he will most likely still get drafted IMO, though not until the 5th at the earliest, I'd imagine. Some team will find something to like, and will figure on rolling the dice on him. Though don't expect him to make himself into a starter, he just doesn't have the head or body to do it.

Bengals78
04-13-2012, 08:51 AM
Bengals have 3 5th round picks. Wont be shocked if we take him.

Sloopy
04-13-2012, 09:03 AM
That being said, despite me not being a big fan of his, he will most likely still get drafted IMO, though not until the 5th at the earliest, I'd imagine. Some team will find something to like, and will figure on rolling the dice on him. Though don't expect him to make himself into a starter, he just doesn't have the head or body to do it.

This is all I'm trying to say.

I'm not trying to say the guy is a first rounder. I'm saying that he WILL get drafted by some team who wants to see if he can get his **** together. I said 5th-6th but thats only because if I was interested in him, or believed he could be a starter, I would grab him before the 7th when other teams will also likely be looking at him

As far as the catch: If it was that easy for guys around the LOS to pick the ball off, why wouldn't it happen more often? Why is that play most often a tip or goes over his head (which it is designed to do: suck in the DL/LBs who are blitzing and pop it over their heads)?

We can argue if it is easy to make that catch or not. There is still something there, that you see on the occasional play that would lead me to want to see what is there with some actual coaching and thats all I'm trying to say.

eaglesalltheway
04-13-2012, 09:06 AM
"The occasional play" is when he guesses right. I don't want my LBs guessing.

Sloopy
04-13-2012, 09:17 AM
"The occasional play" is when he guesses right. I don't want my LBs guessing.

Oh come on.

You are suffering from stereotype bias, you are dismissing any information which would contradict your preconceived notions.

Any good decision is a guess

Any good play was "easy"

I'm not trying to convince you that this guy is a round one prospect. I'm saying that he is most definitely a better option than most of the LBs you would be drafting in the 5th-7th rounds. Guys who will most definitely be career backups or ST guys.

Yes there is a potential for this guy to bust, which is why he won't be selected until the 5th at the earliest. At the same time there is a potential to become a starter; a potential that most of the guys getting selected in said rounds DO NOT have.

I'd venture to say that at the very least you will have managed to obtain the career back up or ST player that you would have selected in that round anyway.

Clarkw267
04-13-2012, 12:20 PM
Please. someone tell me what there is to like.

Speed - Nope
Athleticism - Nope
Instincts - Nope
Character - Nope
Discipline - Nope

Oh wait, but when he happens to stumble into the correct hole he can deliver a big hit once a game. Yeah I'll draft that guy... Not.

Sloopy
04-13-2012, 01:39 PM
Please. someone tell me what there is to like.

Speed - Nope
Athleticism - Nope
Instincts - Nope
Character - Nope
Discipline - Nope

Oh wait, but when he happens to stumble into the correct hole he can deliver a big hit once a game. Yeah I'll draft that guy... Not.

First of all, you are suffering from the same stereotype bias as your friend. You completely disregard any evidence that contradicts your preconceived notions.

Second, you act as though speed, athleticism, instincts etc. are all black and white rather than falling somewhere on a spectrum.

The guy has apt speed for the role he would be playing in the NFL (3-4 ILB). The same can be said for athleticism.

So what if he didn't run a fast fourty? Neither did Brandon Spikes (No I am not comparing the two, I am merely pointing out that speed in the forty is not neccesary to play 3-4 ILB).

Character concerns and discipline problems are a given. Again though, we aren't talking about a first round pick.

However, there are a number of guys with questionable instincts and disappointing college production that ARE going in the first round. You act like Taze is the only one.

SuperPacker
04-13-2012, 01:44 PM
Instead, could you tell us what Taze has to offer?

Sloopy
04-13-2012, 02:54 PM
Instead, could you tell us what Taze has to offer?

I personally think he does show game speed and athleticism apt to play the position that he would in the NFL.

I also think that he offers greater potential than some of the other schmucks that you might find in the later rounds at the same position.

I once thought this guy was a first rounder (like many) and he has proven himself not to be. That's fine and I agree with it; but now it seems like people are underrating him.

BeerBaron
04-25-2012, 12:42 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/25/report-burfict-hosley-failed-drug-tests-at-combine/

Pile onto everything else that he failed a drug test too.

Seriously. This is way beyond the point of being silly.

Prowler
04-25-2012, 01:03 PM
We need to have a pool going for what happens to him. Something like:

1. Cut in preseason and sent to prison for pulling out gun on kids.
2. Chokes coach and blacklisted from league.
3. Fails too many drug tests and suspended forever.
4. Runs into the stands and fist-fights fan.
5. Punches referee, bonus for fighting Ed Hoculi.
6. Actually succeeds and eventually starts for an NFL Team.
7. Rape in nightclub.
8. Drunk driving accident ends his career.

Something tells me that there will be multiple winners, might even become a checklist.

BeerBaron
04-25-2012, 01:06 PM
Seriously, he's just a human conga-line of "what could go wrong next?"

Sub-par season? Check.
Personal foul penalties galore? check.
Punched a teammate? check.
HORRIBLE pre-draft performances? check.
Failed drug test? check.

Seriously.

Prowler
04-25-2012, 01:13 PM
Maybe he's this year's "Tebow". The unexplainable phenomenon that somehow finds success in the mist of terribleness. I would call him "The Anti-Tebow" but that depends on how well Burfict can perform on the field. And yes...I'm comparing linebackers to Tebow, that is what the NFL has devolved in to now.

ATLDirtyBirds
04-25-2012, 01:13 PM
Seriously, he's just a human conga-line of "what could go wrong next?"

Sub-par season? Check.
Personal foul penalties galore? check.
Punched a teammate? check.
HORRIBLE pre-draft performances? check.
Failed drug test? check.

Seriously.

I think the dude just doesn't like/doesn't care football. He's doing everything he possibly can to make sure he isn't drafted. Probably just loves hitting people and has had football forced down his throat, but hates all other aspects. Makes sense if you saw him play this last year. Can't explain that 2010 though. Damn shame.

SuperPacker
04-28-2012, 06:28 PM
So he did go undrafted.

High-five BB!

Nalej
04-28-2012, 06:30 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to BeerBaron again.

BeerBaron
04-28-2012, 06:30 PM
I was a little worried towards the end, but indeed.

Someone will undoubtedly snap him up as a UDFA though.

JHL6719
04-28-2012, 08:45 PM
I couldn't help but laugh my ass off every time I saw the line "The Ravens will draft him" over the past 6 months.

Ozzie wants good football players and knows what they look like. He might get fooled every now and then, but there's no way he was gonna be fooled by this piece of garbage.

Sloopy
04-28-2012, 08:57 PM
Picked up by Cinci. I'm still shocked no one drafted him

Caulibflower
04-28-2012, 09:31 PM
Thought for sure he was flier-worthy.

YAYareaRB
04-28-2012, 09:58 PM
So he did go undrafted.

High-five BB!

you're not doing it right.

you're supposed to say:

boom. (10 char.)

Abaddon
04-28-2012, 10:40 PM
Picked up by Cinci.

To the surprise of no one.

gator3guy
04-28-2012, 10:41 PM
To the surprise of no one.

And they turn a good draft into **** :D

NotMyJob
04-28-2012, 10:55 PM
And they turn a good draft into **** :D

i don't think it has any bearing on their draft as they didn't use a pick on him

Caddy
04-28-2012, 11:00 PM
Still don't think this was a surprise when the thread was created after the combine.

King Carls 5 Year Plan
04-28-2012, 11:17 PM
oh come on. you gotta grive credit when its due. he said UNDRAFTED. even as the draft was happening (well after the combine and all his pro days) most everyone thought at least 1 team would take a late round flier on him. yes, BB didn't pick all 6 lottery numbers with his prognostication, but he nailed the Power Ball number dead to rights.

gator3guy
04-28-2012, 11:34 PM
i don't think it has any bearing on their draft as they didn't use a pick on him

I know I was being sarcastic

Caulibflower
10-21-2012, 11:17 PM
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/08G0dEg8s4emd/350x.jpg

15 tackles today?

TACKLE
10-21-2012, 11:39 PM
My favorite quote from last draft season...

Classic.

y.f.s.
10-22-2012, 02:06 AM
VONTAZE ME BRO.

He has a coaching staff that actually wants him around, and he likes football again. I'm happy for him.

ATLDirtyBirds
10-22-2012, 07:12 AM
VONTAZE ME BRO.

He has a coaching staff that actually wants him around, and he likes football again. I'm happy for him.

This is the key. Last year, he looked like he just wanted to hurt people. Nothing else.

BeerBaron
10-22-2012, 07:13 AM
I said he'd go undrafted and he did.That was the end of that prediction.

LonghornsLegend
10-22-2012, 08:51 AM
I think what's hilarious about this is during the whole draft process when he was killing his draft stock more and more and you say "well he's probably going to the Bengals at this point" all their fans jump down your throat like they don't chase low character guys with physical tools or something. Then he ends up right with the Bengals along with Pacman and anyone else who had issues before and then it's like a coincidence.

I'm really surprised they didn't take Janoris Jenkins over Dre Kirkpatrick honestly, Jenkins has looked great. None the less, Burfict has looked solid, for a UDFA getting this type of playing time is a huge bonus.

vidae
10-22-2012, 09:35 AM
My favorite quote from last draft season...

Classic.

That was my favie too.

NotMyJob
10-22-2012, 02:03 PM
all their fans jump down your throat like they don't chase low character guys with physical tools or something. Then he ends up right with the Bengals along with Pacman and anyone else who had issues before and then it's like a coincidence.

i must have been the minority, but i was hoping for the Bengals to pick up Janoris Jenkins over Dre and was hoping for them to pick up Taze in the later rounds (6/7). i'm glad Vontaze is playing well.

Jenkins would've been nice to have.

AcheTen (Thumper)
10-23-2012, 12:05 AM
Let's not put him in Canton just yet, fellas.

Just because he had a couple of tackles in a few games in his rookie season doesn't mean he can't completely go off the rails just yet at some point.

vidae
10-23-2012, 09:05 AM
Let's not put him in Canton just yet, fellas.

Just because he had a couple of tackles in a few games in his rookie season doesn't mean he can't completely go off the rails just yet at some point.

No one is saying he deserves to be enshrined. They are saying, however, that there was a massive overreaction to him as a prospect. Was he immature? Sure. Did he commit too many dumb penalties? Yeah. Was he as bad as everyone said he was? Obviously not.

Those people that said he was flat out undraftable as a prospect were obviously wrong. He isn't lighting the world on fire, but he is playing very good football. And that counts for something.

LonghornsLegend
10-23-2012, 09:08 AM
Those people that said he was flat out undraftable as a prospect were obviously wrong.

How so? This is exactly what happened. Calling him undraftable and saying he will never do anything in the NFL are two different things.

vidae
10-23-2012, 09:13 AM
How so? This is exactly what happened. Calling him undraftable and saying he will never do anything in the NFL are two different things.

He went undrafted, but he wasn't undraftable as a prospect. Why does that make more sense in my head than it does when I type it out? I just woke up so I'm going to blame that.

killxswitch
10-23-2012, 10:18 AM
Who knows if he would've gotten his head right if he'd gone in, say, the 3rd or 4th or even late in the draft? Maybe a wakeup call like that is exactly what he needed.

vidae
12-14-2012, 03:05 PM
Man, some of you were so wrong about his talent level.

THREAD NECRO!

ATLDirtyBirds
12-14-2012, 03:11 PM
Don't Taze Me Bro.

Bengals78
12-14-2012, 03:23 PM
Yesterday was his best game all season.
The last few games he looked pretty bad.
Glad he decided to turn it on.

Caulibflower
11-09-2013, 05:54 AM
I think this was kind of an interesting thread looking back, because BeerBaron was totally right - but those of us who were incredulous at the thought that Burfict would drop out of the draft, thinking he was at least a plug-and-play 2 down run-stopping linebacker, are looking pretty right, too. How does that happen? I'd love to have heard those interviews. He must have been awful.

Iamcanadian
11-09-2013, 08:04 AM
Zimmer, the DC for Cincy has a way of resurrecting college players who haven't done as well in college as expected. Burfict is just another project he has taken off the dump heap and put life back into his career. Their HC is probably good at it too.

Of course Burfict had talent but he wasn't using it in his last year of college, he was out of shape and seemed lost on the field and that is why he went undrafted. Lucky for him, he picked Cincy to sign with because the DC and HC were a perfect fit for him.

Anybody who predicted success for him based off his last year of college football were being foolish and there was no possible way of knowing the Cincy coaches could reach this guy. They simply have a way of getting maximum performance out of very suspect prospects.

vidae
01-16-2014, 08:49 PM
Was talkin to a buddy about Taze and it reminded me of this thread. I'm glad people were wrong about him, kid is a stud.

mqtirishfan
01-16-2014, 08:51 PM
Was talkin to a buddy about Taze and it reminded me of this thread. I'm glad people were wrong about him, kid is a stud.

The great thing about this thread is that BeerBaron was both completely right and terribly wrong at the same time.

worldtheofend
01-16-2014, 10:15 PM
Smells like some sizzled crow.

Hope BeerBaron, Super Packer etc are stuffed

prock
01-16-2014, 10:18 PM

Interesting interpretation of an accurate prediction...

worldtheofend
01-16-2014, 11:47 PM
Interesting interpretation of an accurate prediction...

"But now, you take away the "elite" from "physical talent" with a pair of Brandon Spikes-level awful combine runs and you're left with a hot headed player whose "first instinct is to swing on a guy" and you're left with garbage."

BeerBaron

171 tackles is garbage to you I take it...

niel89
01-17-2014, 12:26 AM
Burfict is talented player but god damn he did everything to murder his stock. He cost his teams wins with his reckless attitude on the field, came to the combine and ran the slowest 40 time of all LBs at 5.09, got popped for weed at the combine, and then blamed his coaches for his poor junior year. You have to get professional help to do worse than that.

vidae
01-17-2014, 01:07 AM
SP said he flat out had no talent, lol. Harsh.

prock
01-17-2014, 07:03 AM
"But now, you take away the "elite" from "physical talent" with a pair of Brandon Spikes-level awful combine runs and you're left with a hot headed player whose "first instinct is to swing on a guy" and you're left with garbage."

BeerBaron

171 tackles is garbage to you I take it...

"Bold Prediction: Vontaze Burfict Goes Undrafted"

BeerBaron

K Train
01-17-2014, 07:58 AM
Burfict is talented player but god damn he did everything to murder his stock. He cost his teams wins with his reckless attitude on the field, came to the combine and ran the slowest 40 time of all LBs at 5.09, got popped for weed at the combine, and then blamed his coaches for his poor junior year. You have to get professional help to do worse than that.

He was putting together a series of events that might have made his pre draft offseason the worst ive ever seen from a potential first round prospect.

I thought he was a 1st rounder, i mad a big time man crush on him...but i totally see why teams would hesitate to draft him.

Glad he turned it around though, even if it is with the bengals

AntoinCD
01-17-2014, 07:59 AM

Ok, so are we now going to do this for every single prospect discussed on this page??

Very few people said Burfict had no talent. A lot of people stated their opinions of Burfict and why they thought he would go undrafted. I commented saying he had talent but lacked discipline, instincts and was more likely to hurt his own team. Then combined with a bad work out and character concerns it was a recipe to fall in the draft.

Sure Burfict is playing pretty well now but that has no bearing on what he was as a prospect. When you have some question marks over your game, have a bad workpout and then get questioned over your character it is only expected you will fall.

Hell, look at Greg Hardy. His tape was pretty damn good in college but he had some niggling injuries. Relatively poor workout combined with a perceived character issue and he fell to the 6th round. And he was just considered as a bit out there whereas Burfict was seen as toxic.

Both players had the talent to be higher picks. Hardy should have been a first rounder, Burfict probably a second rounder based on ability.

For all we know going undrafted was the best thing to happen to Burfict.

Jomoz
01-17-2014, 08:39 AM
Let's not go overboard the OTHER way now here either.

He's played pretty well for a pretty good Bengals defense in the past year.

That doesn't prove anything about his NFL prospects. Look at Jason Pierre-Paul (who we were ready to crown the NFL's best pass rusher after his second season) and other one-hit-wonders throughout NFL history: playing great for one year doesn't guarantee anything beyond that one year.

Burfict's history of personal issues and anger problems could still easily derail his career.

PoopSandwich
01-17-2014, 08:50 AM
Wow, I didn't realize Burfict was the guy who was a complete train wreck in college (I heard about that stuff and remember thinking what a complete idiot).

How did the Bengals get so lucky.