PDA

View Full Version : Cincinnati Looking at RBs

gpngc
02-27-2012, 08:46 PM
Offensive coordinator Jay Gruden made it clear Monday that he envisions running back as the Bengals' top offseason priority.
The Bengals want Bernard Scott more involved, but not to the extent that he's a feature back. "With the running back situation the way it is we need to address it if there's a top of a line guy there," Gruden said, referring to the draft. "I think there are a number of them that can come in here and help out a lot." Gruden also said "this is a good year to need a back," and he'd be "surprised if the Bengals don't draft a good one." They'd love for Trent Richardson to slide to No. 17.
Source: bengals.com
Feb 27 - 8:21 PM

How don't they consider Lamar Miller with one of their firsts (assuming the Jets don't take him before them)?

Is it true that the coaching staff prefers bigger backs? I feel like fans are just making that up. Miller has everything you look for in a 3-down back...

Bengals78
02-27-2012, 08:48 PM
They would take him.
Especially if we keep transitioning towards a WCO.

I think the bigger back theory comes from Rudi and Ced. But people are quick to forget Chris Perry and Kenny Irons. Both showed incredible promise before injuries hit.

gpngc
02-27-2012, 08:50 PM
They would take him.
Especially if we keep transitioning towards a WCO.

I think the bigger back theory comes from Rudi and Ced. But people are quick to forget Chris Perry and Kenny Irons. Both showed incredible promise before injuries hit.

...and Bernard Scott. I know they didn't draft him high, but it's not like they are completely allergic to handing the ball to smallish backs.

They'll also still have God as a big body to give the ball to in short yardage and goalline.

A Perfect Score
02-27-2012, 09:13 PM
Gah, if the Bengals actually make a smart draft decision and take Lamar Miller, I'm going to be pissed. I really, really don't want to play him twice a year.

Bengals78
02-27-2012, 09:16 PM
Gah, if the Bengals actually make a smart draft decision and take Lamar Miller, I'm going to be pissed. I really, really don't want to play him twice a year.

I know right?
Im hoping for an Ingram/Miller first round since DeCastro and Richardson both will be long gone.

Brown Leader
02-27-2012, 09:16 PM
Ought to be more afraid of Doug Martin.

Dan_Steele
02-28-2012, 10:01 PM
Trade down into the early 2nd and grab David Wilson, Lamar Miller, Doug Martin, or Robert Turbin. I think all of them will be great backs at the next level.

It blows me away that players like Ryan Williams and Mikel LeShoure were taken high in round 2 last year. If they were in this class I don't think either would even be one of the Top 10 RBs taken.

Caulibflower
02-28-2012, 11:24 PM
Trade down into the early 2nd and grab David Wilson, Lamar Miller, Doug Martin, or Robert Turbin. I think all of them will be great backs at the next level.

It blows me away that players like Ryan Williams and Mikel LeShoure were taken high in round 2 last year. If they were in this class I don't think either would even be one of the Top 10 RBs taken.

This running back is loaded. Which is ironic, because nobody really needs one.

BamaFalcon59
02-28-2012, 11:42 PM

Ryan Williams was the seventeenth rated player on Arizona's board last year. As a VT fan, I say with confidence that he sh*ts on David Wilson as a college player and even more so as an NFL prospect.

Dan_Steele
02-28-2012, 11:55 PM
Ryan Williams was the seventeenth rated player on Arizona's board last year. As a VT fan, I say with confidence that he sh*ts on David Wilson as a college player and even more so as an NFL prospect.

I'll take your word for it, he just never flashed any special qualities to me.

TheBoyWonder22
02-29-2012, 12:11 AM
They would take him.
Saddest post ever!

Don Vito
02-29-2012, 12:16 AM
I forgot about Chris Perry, he was a talented dude. Sucks when people get screwed by injuries.

asdf1223
02-29-2012, 12:49 AM
I think people forget how good of a freshman year Ryan Williams had. One of my favorite RB prospects. Just a weird Soph. year and an unfortunate injury. Ryan Williams>>> David Wilson as a prospect for me.

If they are transitioning to a WCO, they should get Doug Martin. Perfect fit IMO.

FUNBUNCHER
02-29-2012, 01:04 AM

He doesn't poop on David Wilson, but I agree the only thing Wilson had over Ryan Williams is pure speed. Ryan Williams has better vision and IMO is a more physical runner.
David Wilson is still a damn good RB and will flash greatness at times. But I'd rather have a healthy Ryan WIlliams which is still an iffy proposition.

SolidGold
02-29-2012, 06:49 AM
I think Doug Martin would be a great fit for Cinci in the second.

Bengals78
02-29-2012, 07:04 AM
I forgot about Chris Perry, he was a talented dude. Sucks when people get screwed by injuries.

Im too lazy to look them up, but I remember his numbers when healthy were absurd.

Pat Sims 90
02-29-2012, 07:29 AM
Unless they get Richardson whoever the Bengals get will be spilting carries with Scott or someone else.

bigbluedefense
02-29-2012, 07:34 AM
Robert Turbin is a boss. I can't wait to see him truck the NFL.

bitonti
02-29-2012, 09:53 AM
Looking at the board, there's no reason to take Lamar Miller at 17 (or 22). He might be there a round later. Just not alot of demand for 1st rd RB. and the depth of the class hurts a player like Miller. You could get Bernard Pierce in rd 3 or 4 and he might actually be better.

on the other hand there is a reason to take Janoris Jenkins at those spots. He's got elite CB talent and there are tons of teams that need CB. the demand for CB at the late rd1 early rd 2 area will be huge. by mid round 3 all the good CB will be gone.

gpngc
02-29-2012, 10:45 AM
Looking at the board, there's no reason to take Lamar Miller at 17 (or 22). He might be there a round later. Just not alot of demand for 1st rd RB. and the depth of the class hurts a player like Miller. You could get Bernard Pierce in rd 3 or 4 and he might actually be better.

on the other hand there is a reason to take Janoris Jenkins at those spots. He's got elite CB talent and there are tons of teams that need CB. the demand for CB at the late rd1 early rd 2 area will be huge. by mid round 3 all the good CB will be gone.

Completely disagree because I think Miller has terrific upside and could be a difference-making, explosive 3-down back in this league if he stays healthy.

Babylon
02-29-2012, 10:53 AM
Depending on what Bengal fan you listen to they are high on guys like Trent Richardson, David DeCastro and Luke Kuechly. They may well be all gone but if one slips to them they are going to look pretty good with that pick.

FlyingElvis
02-29-2012, 10:54 AM
Unless they get Richardson whoever the Bengals get will be spilting carries with Scott or someone else.

I think this is where the desire for a bigger back stems from. An all-around stud would be great, but pairing someone with Scott works fine, too. It seems every year the word out of Cincy is the coaching staff wants to get Scott more involved.

Pat Sims 90
02-29-2012, 12:34 PM
Rumors floating around if Richardson drops out of the top 10 the Bengals will be trying to trade up with Kansas City, Seattle, or Arizona to get Richardson.

Babylon
02-29-2012, 12:46 PM
Rumors floating around if Richardson drops out of the top 10 the Bengals will be trying to trade up with Kansas City, Seattle, or Arizona to get Richardson.

On a sidenote i don't see any of those 3 teams wanting Richardson. Maybe at that point the value is too great.

gpngc
02-29-2012, 12:47 PM

As they should.

I just think STL, CLE, or TB will draft him in the top 6. He's that good of a prospect.

Wrathman
02-29-2012, 09:43 PM
How many years have we heard that the team wants to use Scott more and then they don't? I'm not buying it.

bigbuc
03-01-2012, 12:05 AM
I see Miller for you guys. That O with him is going to be crazy.

StripedWalrus
03-01-2012, 01:19 AM

Rumors going around from where? Link?

JHL6719
03-01-2012, 01:55 AM
I'd take Doug Martin over Lamar Miller if I'm Cincy. Better runner, better catcher, better in pass protection, better ball security, more dependable, more proven, better body of work, bigger, stronger, ... you get the point.

Miller has a shoulder among other things that teams should be concerned about.

I wouldn't be suprised if Robert Turbin and/or Bernard Pierce went ahead of him either.

ATLDirtyBirds
03-01-2012, 09:22 AM

Agreed.

Man, I might have to adopt the Bengals as my AFC team. I've been calling for months for them to move up for trade and sign Nicks/Grubbs. Drafting Lamar is a very strong plan as well though.