PDA

View Full Version : Theoretical exercise

Nebkreb
02-27-2012, 09:15 PM
If all of the pass rushing prospects fall (lets say any DE or OLB) and are available for the Jets, who should they pick? Essentially, what is your rankings for the various OLBs or DEs available? At different times I have seen Upshaw, Ingram, Coples and Mercilus as the Best Case Scenario for Jets in the first round.

gpngc
02-27-2012, 09:27 PM
If all of the pass rushing prospects fall (lets say any DE or OLB) and are available for the Jets, who should they pick? Essentially, what is your rankings for the various OLBs or DEs available? At different times I have seen Upshaw, Ingram, Coples and Mercilus as the Best Case Scenario for Jets in the first round.

They all have major red flags.

I'd rank them:

1) Nick Perry
2) Upshaw (still questions about his ability to drop into coverage and overall athleticism/smarts)
3) Ingram (short arms, struggles against the run, overall questionable first-round pedigree scare me)
4) Mercilus (we don't know if he can play standing up and he's a one-year wonder without great technique)
5) Coples (he's not what the Jets look for in a 5-tech)

Needless to say, I'm not high on the Jets using #16 on a pass rusher. I think Lamar Miller is the best pick but I could see them being stubborn and still thinking Greene has what it takes to be a feature back.

derza222
02-28-2012, 08:15 AM
I like Fletcher Cox more than any of the OLB prospects. Other than that I'd only consider the first three guys gpngc listed, and I go back and forth on the order. Really, I don't like any of them though.

One guy I think is interesting is Vinny Curry if he's there day 2, not a great 40 but excelled in the agility drills. Good pass rushing instincts too, think he can stand up. Bruce Irvin too if you put some weight on him. But like gpngc said, they've all got warts. I personally don't want to take a guy in the first round because of it, I'd rather take a cleaner guy at another position. The team's got plenty of needs anyway.

JETS5128
02-29-2012, 12:13 PM
Upshaw without a doubt