PDA

View Full Version : LaConfora's 2-27-12 Mock Draft

gpngc
02-27-2012, 10:38 PM
I know some people don't like him, but he's in the know. He's got contacts in the know. More than us anyway.

1 - IND: Luck
2 - WAS f/STL: RG3
3 - MIN: Kalil
4 - CLE: TRich
5 - TB: Blackmon
6 - SEA f/STL: Tannehill
7 - JAC: Coples
8 - MIA: Reiff
9 - CAR: Claiborne
10 - BUF: Upshaw

My thoughts...

- The leader in the clubhouse for #2 is Washington. JLC also mentioned that the two front offices have ties.

- Whether we like it or not, Tannehill is going top-12. He could even go 4th if CLE strikes out on QBs. He's going top-12 and probably top-10 one way or another.

- St. Louis probably won't trade with Seattle, though.

- He also said Jacksonville would consider Tanny at 7. Interesting.

- Interesting Tampa going Blackmon over Mo. The league just doesn't value CBs as much as draftniks, though - that's a fact.

A Perfect Score
02-27-2012, 10:41 PM
Claiborne falling all the way to 9 would be interesting.

redbills
02-27-2012, 10:43 PM

Would be sweet if he fell to 10.

keylime_5
02-27-2012, 10:44 PM
Few things:

-I think Tampa signs a veteran wide receiver in free agency, most likely someone like Mario Manningham. They are gonna try to help Josh Freeman a lot this March with their wallet.

-If Cleveland is willing to give up the exact same compensation as the Redskins then they have the inside track to get Griffin b/c they have more picks and their picks are more valuable since they are higher in every round. The million dollar question is are they willing to match Snyder and Shannahan's offer? It sounds like you have to sell the farm to get to #2 at this point.

-Claiborne falling to #9 just...isn't going to happen. He'll test well and his tape is phenomenal.

-I can't imagine St.Louis ever trading with Seattle in round one and vice versa.

-Richardson is due for a tumble IMO. The Browns are going to re-sign Hillis. Tampa Bay I think would take Claiborne first, and they might even sign a free agent RB to compliment Blount. If these things happen then the market for Richardson among the teams picking top 10 is going to dry up.

-I can't wait to look back at all of these mocks (mind included) after free agency is over. Free agency always destroys our opinions of what teams need what positions (save for last year when we didn't have free agency 'til after the draft).

gpngc
02-27-2012, 10:44 PM

He did measure in at 5-11, 185...

DBs that small usually don't go top-10, let alone top-5. Corners in general usually don't go top-5, aside from the elite athletes/legend-like college guys (Peterson).

Giantsfan1080
02-27-2012, 10:46 PM
Do we have a link?

redbills
02-27-2012, 10:47 PM

DBs that small usually don't go top-10, let alone top-5. Corners in general usually don't go top-5, aside from the elite athletes/legend-like college guys (Peterson).

He's got long ass arms.

LSU CB Morris Claiborne measured 5-foot-11, 188 at the Scouting Combine weigh-in, and has 33 1/4-inch arms.
Claiborne's size is Darrelle Revis-like, but his reach gives him the ultimate advantage on receivers. For comparison's sake, Claiborne's arms are the same length as Iowa OT Riley Reiff's and nearly three inches longer than 2012 No. 2 cornerback prospect Dre Kirkpatrick's (30 5/8").

Scotty D
02-27-2012, 10:50 PM
I don't see the STL-SEA trade either. I might see STL going with Claiborne.

holt_bruce81
02-27-2012, 10:53 PM
There is no way the St. Louis trades with Seattle. Stupid. No way does Claiborne slip that far either.

Stick with what you're good at, giving picks away 20 seconds before they are announced so you ruin it for everyone.

metafour
02-27-2012, 11:02 PM

DBs that small usually don't go top-10, let alone top-5.

Claiborne has freakishly long arms...measured at 33 and 1/4 inches. That is over an inch longer than Patrick Peterson measured last year; and Peterson is an inch taller. The only corner in this draft who has arms as long as Claiborne is Tremaine Johnson, and he measured in at 6'2. Compare that to Kirkpatrick who measured 6'2 but actually has disappointing arm length at 30 and 5/8ths inches. The point being that Claiborne's arm length gives him the same coverage as a ~6'0-6'2 corner. When a DB gets into a jump-ball situation "height" doesn't come into play...what comes into play is a combination of standing reach and vertical jump. Would you rather want a CB who measures 6'1 but has a freakishly long neck or a CB that measures "only" 5'11 but has tree-vines for arms?

gpngc
02-27-2012, 11:04 PM
Those are all great points. The fact is, teams usually don't take CBs top 5. Don't shoot the messenger! I'd guess Tampa would take him too. For whatever reason, a guy in the know in the NFL doesn't think so. I'm just trying to understand why. 185 is pretty light...

Phins827
02-27-2012, 11:06 PM
I don't understand the Reiff to Miami talk. Our F.O. stated the top 2 priorities for this team are QB and pass rush.

Everybody is saying RT is a big need, because Colombo sucked. But outsiders don't realize, Colombo wasn't our starter. Murtha was supposed to be our starter there, until he got hurt before the season. He looked good the previous season, when he filled in at RT when Carey got hurt. Also, John Jerry filled in nicely at LT when Long got hurt this past season. Let's give them a look at RT before we go spending a top 10 pick on one

metafour
02-27-2012, 11:07 PM
Those are all great points. The fact is, teams usually don't take CBs top 5. Don't shoot the messenger! I'd guess Tampa would take him too. For whatever reason, a guy in the know in the NFL doesn't think so. I'm just trying to understand why. 185 is pretty light...

He was also actually 188 BTW. Not a huge deal; but thats closer to 190 than it is 185.

gpngc
02-27-2012, 11:07 PM
In mock drafters defense, everyone struggles with these edge rushers this year. Each and every one of them has at least one pretty big flaw.

bitonti
02-27-2012, 11:11 PM
I don't understand the Reiff to Miami talk.
Everybody is saying RT is a big need,

Reiff is slightly overrated. Some scouts said he might be better at guard. There's a decent chance Cordy Glenn goes before Reiff. Decastro too.

holt_bruce81
02-27-2012, 11:12 PM

Didn't Joe Haden weigh in at like 5'10 190 pounds?

gpngc
02-27-2012, 11:14 PM
I guess. Again, he's got a guy who all of us view as a top 5 talent and elite CB prospect falling all the way to 9, passing TB at 5, STL at 6, and JAC at 7 who all need CBs. He talks to people who know things. I just wonder why he has that happening when TB taking him at 5 seems like a slam dunk.

So I put his size as a potential reason on the table. Who knows what he's heard or why he put him all the way at 9?

The response is probably - he's an idiot. Because everyone in the media is stupid.

But I don't believe that. I'm sure he connected the dots 'Tampa needs a CB, Claiborne is right there', so why wouldn't he just make that the pick? - unless he heard from someone that they wouldn't take him at 5. Maybe he's wrong, maybe he's not. Maybe his source is. Who knows? But because it's odd it's worth examining and trying to understand from that perspective.

holt_bruce81
02-27-2012, 11:18 PM
I guess. Again, he's got a guy who all of us view as a top 5 talent and elite CB prospect falling all the way to 9, passing TB at 5, STL at 6, and JAC at 7 who all need CBs. He talks to people who know things. I just wonder why he has that happening when TB taking him at 5 seems like a slam dunk.

So I put his size as a potential reason on the table. Who knows what he's heard or why he put him all the way at 9?

The response is probably - he's an idiot, but I don't believe that. I'm sure he connected the dots 'Tampa needs a CB, Claiborne is right there', so why wouldn't he just make that the pick? - unless he heard from someone that they wouldn't take him at 5.

I don't see him getting passed the Rams at pick #6. It just makes to much sense. We need corners and by selecting Claiborne there they could either restructure Bartell or release him and save 6.2 million.

gpngc
02-27-2012, 11:20 PM
I don't see him getting passed the Rams at pick #6. It just makes to much sense. We need corners and by selecting Claiborne there they could either restructure Bartell or release him and save 6.2 million.

I mean I agree with what you're saying. But he obviously knows what you know, and probably has more intel, and didn't make that prediction. It's possible he just wanted to show Tannehill in the top 10 or something because clearly he wasn't thinking much making STL and SEA trade together...

Wrathman
02-27-2012, 11:24 PM
I mean I agree with what you're saying. But he obviously knows what you know, and probably has more intel, and didn't make that prediction. It's possible he just wanted to show Tannehill in the top 10 or something because clearly he wasn't thinking much making STL and SEA trade together...

People in the press who are required to give multiple mock drafts tend to play around so that we see something different every time they do one. I would not get wrapped up in a mock done at the end of February as being based on inside information. We're too early for that sort of stuff to really mean anything as nobody has set their draft board yet, or even their first-round selection, other than maybe Indy.

gpngc
02-27-2012, 11:25 PM
People in the press who are required to give multiple mock drafts tend to play around so that we see something different every time they do one. I would not get wrapped up in a mock done at the end of February as being based on inside information. We're too early for that sort of stuff to really mean anything as nobody has set their draft board yet, or even their first-round selection, other than maybe Indy.

True.

It's just odd to put Blackmon over Mo. Very odd.

descendency
02-28-2012, 12:18 AM
Would be sweet if he fell to 10.

If Poe or Brockers goes 9 (certainly reasonable), then I could see him falling to 10.

bigbuc
02-28-2012, 12:21 AM
There is no way the St. Louis trades with Seattle. Stupid. No way does Claiborne slip that far either.

Stick with what you're good at, giving picks away 20 seconds before they are announced so you ruin it for everyone.

Can I ask you why the Rams would be stupid to trade again with seattle?

If both trades did go down... the Rams most likely would have

12th pick

Three- 2nd rounders

Two- 3rd rounders

a 5th rounder and a 1st next year from Washington.

dolphinfan2k5
02-28-2012, 12:25 AM
I don't see why the Rams-Seahawks trade is that ridiculous. It's unlikely to trade in the division, but not unprecedented. If the Rams think Tannehill is gonna bust, and they have a strong feeling that the Rams are trading up for him, then that's a win-win for them.

holt_bruce81
02-28-2012, 12:34 AM

12th pick

Three- 2nd rounders

Two- 3rd rounders

Because there in the same division. Why help a division rival get a potential Franchise Quarterback. Doesn't make any sense.

TheSlinger
02-28-2012, 01:11 AM
I like Coples, but to take him after seeing Claiborne miraculously fall would take six years off my life.

Cigaro
02-28-2012, 01:51 AM
Shhhhh all of you, Claiborne will fall to nine.

AntoinCD
02-28-2012, 03:51 AM
There is a few things I really don't see happening

Firstly, I don't think a RB will go that high. Trent Richardson is an elite talent at the position but it's the same reason Luke Keuchly won't go in the top ten. RB just doesn't have the positional value anymore. Adrian Peterson and Maurice Jones-Drew are two of the best RBs in the league yet both teams are picking top ten. If you can't pass the ball it doesn't really matter how well you run it. I think Cleveland will either go defense with Claiborne, WR or look to trade out.

Secondly, St Louis won't trade out of the top ten with Seattle. Regardless of what they receive a divisonal rival is moving up to get a potentially elite player. St Louis won't know they are going up for Tannehill. They can specualte but they can't know. Seattle could be moving up for Claiborne, or Poe, or Brockers, or any number of players. This trade just doesn't make sense and I think he's just put it in to have another trade.

Thirdly, I don't see Miami going offensive line. I don't think it's a horrible pick but it's either going to be a pass rusher or WR at that spot for me. Michael Floyd could work his way into that spot.

Things I do like.

I think Claiborne could fall. Cleveland, Tampa Bay and St Louis are the main spots he could land. Cleveland have many other needs, Tampa Bay could go WR and St Louis may look at DT with Poe or Brockers. There are also trade down offers for those teams likely.

Claiborne isn't an elite physical specimen. He is a very good, technically gifted CB but I don't see a top 5 guy.

Bucs147
02-28-2012, 07:38 AM
- Interesting Tampa going Blackmon over Mo. The league just doesn't value CBs as much as draftniks, though - that's a fact.

This isn't the case for Mark Dominik. He looooooves CBs. Plus, he also overvalue needs and CBs is a way bigger need than WR for us. I just don't see him picking Blackmon over Claiborne. Finally, I don't think it changes anything about who we'll pick, but we hired LSU DBs coach, the guy who grew Mo from a 3-star WR to a Jim Thorpe winner.

If we go offense early in the draft, I think we'll go OL before WR.

Those are all great points. The fact is, teams usually don't take CBs top 5. Don't shoot the messenger! I'd guess Tampa would take him too. For whatever reason, a guy in the know in the NFL doesn't think so

JLC isn't in the know at all. He usually only spread somme ********, especially for the Bucs. JLC has no source around that team, which was pretty apparent during the whole coaching search process as he was consistently off the track.

Taber21
02-28-2012, 09:05 AM
When he presented this mock on air last night he also said he thought Miami would get Manning in FA. With that happening, the fact Seattle feels the need to jump in front of Jacksonville, who almost certainly wont be picking another top 10 QB not named Luck or Griffin, and in doing so trades with a divisional rival, seems highly unlikely. I could see them wanting to get ahead of KC right in front of them, but I also find it hard to believe KC would be looking to move up to get Tannehill, a trade with a team like Carolina who would be looking to add more picks makes more sense, IMO.

fenikz
02-28-2012, 09:19 AM
Claiborne's size is perfectly normal, not everyone is PP god level

H.O.O.D
02-28-2012, 11:17 AM

12th pick

Three- 2nd rounders

Two- 3rd rounders

I don't see why the Rams-Seahawks trade is that ridiculous. It's unlikely to trade in the division, but not unprecedented. If the Rams think Tannehill is gonna bust, and they have a strong feeling that the Rams are trading up for him, then that's a win-win for them.

I agree it is not totally out of the question just because they are division rivals, it has been done before (that 2 rivals make a trade be it for a player or a draft pick/s and yes even in the first round) but it is a rare occurance. I don't think the Rams do it because they see Tannehill as a bust but because they know that the pick is a reach and they are taking a high pick (2nd rounder) away from a rival for a QB who doesn't present value where he will be selected. They would be letting the Seahawks get a 2 tier QB in the top 10 (whereas Luck and RG3 are the lone 1st tier QB's).

New England dealt Bledsoe to Buffalo, Philly has dealt McNabb to Washington, Seattle traded their 7th to San Fran for their 9th (in 2001), Cleveland swapped one spot in round 1 with Baltimore (in 2006), Seattle traded Darrell Jackson to San Fran, Houston trade back up into the first with Tennessee (in 2004)...so it is not like rivals have never traded before, and those are a few examples.

Fisher would have a lot easier time making the Rams much more talented and relevant by adding up to 3 first rounders, 4 second rounders and 3 third rounders over these next 2 seasons. That is if they don't use any of those chips to move around. But that becomes a whole load of young talent infused into the roster, and all of a sudden they are in Patriots territory with those stockpiled picks.

It is not completely crazy to think St.Louis might consider the move. What if Miami lands Flynn and Washington Manning ? St.Louis once again may have to consider such a move if Cleveland unwilling to pay St.Louis' price or doesn't share the same opinion on RG3's value, because if the Rams don't move out and take Khalil at 2 then Minnesota could look to trade out with Seattle at 3.

Dallas357
02-28-2012, 11:49 AM
claiborne falling to 9? gtfo

onejayhawk
02-28-2012, 12:04 PM
If Poe or Brockers goes 9 (certainly reasonable), then I could see him falling to 10.

In what universe?

I dont see the Rams getting enough from Seattle to make the deal. I think Tannehill goes #8 to Miami and the Rams "settle" for Claiborn or Coples.

J

Leon Sandcastle
02-28-2012, 02:01 PM
People gotta stop mocking Courtney Upshaw to the Bills.

Iamcanadian
02-28-2012, 02:23 PM
I know some people don't like him, but he's in the know. He's got contacts in the know. More than us anyway.

My thoughts...

- The leader in the clubhouse for #2 is Washington. JLC also mentioned that the two front offices have ties.

- Whether we like it or not, Tannehill is going top-12. He could even go 4th if CLE strikes out on QBs. He's going top-12 and probably top-10 one way or another.

He may have some contacts but he is strictly a reporter and knows zip about scouting. Claiborne and Upshaw took nosedives today, Claiborne's 40 time was mediocre and Upshaw looked more like a guy who will have to play DE in a 4-3 defense, extremely stiff dropping back into coverage.
This mock is weak, period.

nobodyinparticular
02-28-2012, 03:02 PM

My thoughts...

Wrong. This is missing the Raiders' trade up for RG3.

NY+Giants=NYG
02-28-2012, 03:19 PM
Where is the rest of his draft?