PDA

View Full Version : Buckeyes QB next year

RoyHall#1
03-28-2007, 12:18 PM
Who's it going to be?

Jim Tressel said that if there was a game today, it would be Todd Boeckman, but I haven't liked what I've seen with him, although I haven't seen him much.
Right now it looks like the options are:

Todd Boeckman, Junior
Rob Schoenhoft, RS Sophomore
Antonio Henton, RS Freshman

Thoughts?

RWFender1
03-28-2007, 12:19 PM
it will be boeckman

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
03-28-2007, 04:24 PM
I have heard that Antonio is very explosive, but he may not yet be ready. I say Boeckman starts.

CrackerJack465
03-28-2007, 05:05 PM
Probably Todd Boeckman

GO OSU!
(incoming freshmen)

Michigan
03-28-2007, 06:11 PM
Boeckman .

bored of education
03-28-2007, 06:18 PM
Boeckman!!!

keylime_5
03-28-2007, 08:43 PM
It will be Todd and he will play well I think on our offense which we can pretty much go ahead and deem the "Chris Wells Offense." Beanie is gonna give Boeckman a hand and do Peterson like things for us (Wells afterall is just a bigger, more powerful, a tenth a second slower version of AD)

RoyHall#1
03-28-2007, 08:54 PM
Yeah, I'm fine with the Chris Wells offense. Anyone else think this team resembles the 2002 team? At least from a running based offense and a suffocating defense standpoint, it's very similar.

RWFender1
03-28-2007, 09:06 PM
i think OSU is going to suprise a lot of people next year. they will have a nice looking defense, boeckman looks pretty good from what i have seen of him and i think beanie wells is going to break loose next year. they should finish in the top 8

gstock05
03-28-2007, 10:41 PM
The Battle is wide open.

Tressel has two options...

Put in Boekmann who is most ready now, and have a decent quarterback for two years.

Put in Henton who might need to learn on the fly a little bit, but has heisman upside, and 4 years left to play, not to mention the ability to keep the enemy off balance with the run.

It's hard to say. No matter who plays, they'll be able to rely on Chris Wells being the star of the offense, so we'll see. I wouldn't write anything down at this point.

Vikes99ej
03-29-2007, 10:33 AM
Yeah, I'm fine with the Chris Wells offense. Anyone else think this team resembles the 2002 team? At least from a running based offense and a suffocating defense standpoint, it's very similar.

I'd put my money on Ohio State missing the 2008 National Championship game. They'll have enough trouble trying to win the Big Ten.

RoyHall#1
03-29-2007, 12:23 PM
True about the Big 10 but that's only because Michigan is stacked. I'd say 2 of the top 5 teams in the country will be from the Big 10 next year.

RoyHall#1
03-29-2007, 12:25 PM
Also, watch out for Ray Small at WR. He's a Ted Ginn type and Ted Ginn's dad, who coached Troy Smith and Ted Ginn in High School, has said that Small was the best player he had ever coached.

JCarver27
03-29-2007, 01:11 PM
I think the quote was 'best WR', but I'm not positive.

RoyHall#1
03-29-2007, 03:43 PM
Maybe..., but still that's saying quite a bit.

neko4
03-29-2007, 04:19 PM
Id say start Boeckman this year, and then see if anyone out performs him in camps that next summer

yourfavestoner
03-29-2007, 05:24 PM
I don't follow OSU, but generally, in these situations, it's the upper classman's job to lose. Henton has a ton of potential, but most coaches, especially conservative ones like Tressell, aren't willing to risk a season on a player who may or may not be ready.

Hail Browns
03-29-2007, 05:37 PM
Right now it's Boeckman, and I think he'll win it. What surprised me about the whole situation is how all three guys could be considered kinda old for their class, especially Boeckman.
These will be their ages when the season starts:
Boeckman=23yrs. JR(rs)
Shoenhoft=21yrs. SO(rs)
Henton=20yrs. FR(rs)

Boeckman would be 25 as a rookie in the NFL. The other 2 would be 24. This is just something that popped up while I was looking into this.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
03-29-2007, 05:43 PM
Damn, they were held back a lot

NickBam
03-29-2007, 07:28 PM

I'm pretty sure Ginn Sr. said most explosive.

Anyways, the easy money is Boeckman but whenever it starts, I'm excited for the Henton era.

Hail Browns
03-29-2007, 09:21 PM

You're right, he said that Small was the best WR he has ever coached.

Hail Browns
03-29-2007, 09:23 PM

Yeah, they must've been. I was in shock when I read their ages.

DWilliams2IndyColts
03-29-2007, 10:36 PM
I think if OSU keeps the Spread offense in effect that Boeckman would be the starter for about 3 games then Tressel will put Henton in but what about Shohenhoft?

VoteLynnSwan
03-29-2007, 11:24 PM
You're right, he said that Small was the best WR he has ever coached.

he also said that Anthony Gonzalez was faster than his son... something tell is telling me that he simply wants to make his son prove something.

Hail Browns
03-30-2007, 04:58 AM
he also said that Anthony Gonzalez was faster than his son... something tell is telling me that he simply wants to make his son prove something.

Good point, and it's definitely a possibility. Regardless of him making his son prove something, Ray Small is going to be a player to watch out for.

gstock05
03-30-2007, 09:25 AM
Ginn sr. is infamous for promoting his players.

his quote was that Ray Small was the most explosive player he's ever coached.

No doubt ray is explosive, and quite a player, but I think that was a bit of a hyperbole to promote glenville as there have been a lot of REALLY explosive players from that team. Darius Hiley, Ted Ginn, Jamario Oneal... etc

RoyHall#1
03-30-2007, 09:32 AM
Congrats on your veteranship.

FLORIDA PACKER
03-30-2007, 09:37 AM
I see this season similar to two years ago when Zwick started the year but Smith ended up usurping him for the spot. I say Boeckman starts at least 2 games but gets pulled in favor of the more athletic Henton.

JCarver27
03-30-2007, 09:56 AM

he said he ran the 40 faster, which is possible.

Purple N Proud
03-31-2007, 11:05 AM
I think Boeckman gets the nod and it's not even that close. Henton will be good in time, but we can't expect him to step in and be Troy Smith right away. Tressel's always been partial to the more experienced guy for better or for worse.

I remember seeing Boeckman pitch in the high school state championship game a few years back. Haha pretty hard judging against other high school athletes but I feel confident he can be the one to lead the team. He's a big kid with deceptive mobility, and an above average arm. Kinda reminds me of a young Ben Roethlisberger.

On a side note, can Bauserman bring anything to the table? I don't know too much about him but can't imagine he'll be too much of a threat for the job after taking some years off. And I'm correct in saying he still has 4 years of eligibility right?

irishbucks
03-31-2007, 09:22 PM
about Boeckman age, he was a grey shirt in 2003, then a red shirt in 2004. Bauserman looks pretty good, thier was a youtube video of him floating around on board for highschool sports. but i could not locate it. he has all 4 years of eligility left since and he shouldn't not count for a scholarship either since the Pirates will pay for his college.

OhioState
04-01-2007, 05:55 PM
I think that Boekman could be good. If his arm is even decnt then i think he will have a great season. I really like what i see form Robiskie and Hartline and Smalls speed against a nickel back is not even fair. With all those options in the passing game and Chris Wells lining up behind him on every down i am confident he could emulate Craig Krenzel.

Bengals1690
04-01-2007, 09:56 PM
Yeah, they must've been. I was in shock when I read their ages.

and i know its wrong sport, but they have a a guy who looks like hes about 45 yeasr old on the bball team...

anyways

i dont care. just give it to chris wells and hope he fixed his fumbling problems and let the D win it for you.

GO BUCKS!!!

Brent
04-12-2007, 11:16 AM
That's actually pretty normal ages. Shoenhoft is the same age as me and I wasnt held back. Henton is 20 and in his second year of college, that would also be right. Boeckman is in his fourth year, so his also a normal age.