PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Pittsburgh Steelers Discussion

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Hines
02-28-2012, 10:45 AM
Discuss all Steelers for the 2012 season. It can range from draft, free agency, and the season.

steel man
02-28-2012, 10:48 AM
i know this is early but i am going to need some help with this so that is why i am throwing it out there now........i am wanting to try to get a Steelers group from here together to go to the draft this year and support our team, also i am wanting to get together for training camp and for all of us to pick a home game and get together and order tickets in a group, tailgate and live it up big this year.......what do you guys think?

here is who we play at home...of course the Ravens would be a great one to go to and prob. be on prime time, but any one that would want to go pick a team that you would like to go see the Steelers put a beat down on.

http://prod.static.steelers.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/game%20day/2012_Opponents_320x280.jpg

Jakey
02-28-2012, 12:13 PM
I'm just not in love with Glenn's weight. At 350, he will easily be pushing 360+, the fat guys get out of shape easily.

I still think we might go OT first, one might fall, Martin.

My only concern on Poe is he has great HW, arm, bench. But I have yet to see him his tape to see if those triangle numbers back up his play. Its like whats Taylor from Baylor last year. The guy had good tape, but everyone questioned his #s, and consistent motor, but was always top 20 pick. With Poe he was a high second, low first, till the combine, now it seems he is a top 15 lock.

Reminds me of the guy from San Diego State, who could jump out of a pull and had great triangle numbers. Was unknown till youtube video and then got drafted in the third(?) round.

Glenn is a well-built 345! Even moreso than Carl Nicks (who he compares to favourably). I think anything from 340-360 will be acceptable playing weight for glenn...he has a naturally huge frame...his arms probably weigh 100lb lol. I wouldnt be worried about his weight dude!

And i kinda agree on Poe, the dude is a monster in workouts, and played well in the limited tape i have seen of him...but his play doesnt necessarily show off his athleticism, because it doesnt need to. Imo he is as close to Haloti Ngata as a prospect as i have seen, but if he will ever become that dominant player is a crapshoot. BOOM/BUST.

K Train
02-28-2012, 12:43 PM
ngata wasnt exactly the ngata we see today when he played at oregon, if he was he would have went 1st overall imo, i think its more you get ngata or you get shaun rogers. big drop off but not terrible

glenns weight only would make him wear down faster than your average guard, but he carries it very well....id say hes a rich mans marcus cannon (who in his own right was a fringe first round guy before cancer) but glenn carries 350 in the least slob-like way possible

Hines
02-28-2012, 05:36 PM
One of my favorite late round corners performed well today. His name is Ron Brooks from LSU. Keep an eye on this kid. He's exactly what Willie Gai is, and he's a hell of a gunner on STs. He never got a chance to start at LSU, but he is athletic, has good ball skills, can tackle, but isn't the most feared, can blitz well, and has good upside.

I might include him in my mock because I believe he's going to be a good player. He's one of three late round corners that I like.

brat316
02-29-2012, 05:03 PM
With Hines getting the axe, and I am assuming Hampton is next, how much room does that clear up?

I'm sure we are going to bring Cotchery back. With Hines gone, might come back at TC for vet min, we have Wallace?, Brown, and Sanders under contract.

Jakey
02-29-2012, 05:33 PM
Ward gone.

Farrior next apparently.

Sad times, always been a massive fan of both, but it is the right time :|

brat316
02-29-2012, 05:38 PM
Looking at the NT for this year, I just can't love either any. Next years guys off of just measurable, class seems much stronger.

This year there are like 2 guys who are draft able pure NTs, lot of UDFA type of guys with the body.

I hope we somehow land Decostao or even Martin, I know OT is not a dire need, but why not if he is there for us.

Also anyone see what Colbert said about Dwyer's weight issues? Won't be surprised if we draft a rb in this draft. Lot of value in the middle rounds.

Jakey
02-29-2012, 05:44 PM
Martin is pretty average...i wouldnt touch him in the first.

There is a few NT's i like in this draft, but i wouldnt reach for any of them...

Alameda Ta'amu, Brandon Thompson, Mike Martin(ish), Josh Chapman and Hebron Fangupo.

I'm not sure if any of them would have a big impact next season, so we better hope Hood/McLendon or a FA can fill the gap in the mean time!

brat316
02-29-2012, 05:50 PM
I feel like if we can't get a FA to sign, or a great NT. We might end up drafting a 5 tech, plenty of them in this draft and bump Hood over.

Then again probably not. tahts a terrible idea draft more 5 techs.

SCSteeler
02-29-2012, 07:38 PM
i'm hurt by the release of Hines.
this is a sad day.
One of the best Steelers ever!

I can see a couple things with this move. It seems like we would've at least givin him the chance to take a pay cut, since hes been a bad ass and can still somewhat produce, at least mentor the young WRs.
But since we didnt it makes me think were targeting a big WR in the draft, someone that would get/need playing time to develop. And that Hines would be taking that spot?

Its either that or they thought he sucks and want nothing to do with him? Right?....and no way is it that.

(all of this is assuming we don't resign him at vet min.)

Santonio10
02-29-2012, 07:48 PM
i'm hurt by the release of Hines.
this is a sad day.
One of the best Steelers ever!

I can see a couple things with this move. It seems like we would've at least givin him the chance to take a pay cut, since hes been a bad ass and can still somewhat produce, at least mentor the young WRs.
But since we didnt it makes me think were targeting a big WR in the draft, someone that would get/need playing time to develop. And that Hines would be taking that spot?

Its either that or they thought he sucks and want nothing to do with him? Right?....and no way is it that.

(all of this is assuming we don't resign him at vet min.)

I think we take WR later in the draft, assuming we re-sign Wallace.

I'm guessing Ward retires. Sad day but we knew it would happen eventually. Hines was one of the greatest Steelers ever regardless of position. He will be missed.

brat316
02-29-2012, 07:56 PM
He is not going to retire. At least now according to his facebook post.

Hmmm developmental WR, when we have so many bigger needs I think not.

Smooth Criminal
02-29-2012, 08:08 PM
They don't want to waste the spot on Hines when they know his career is on the downside. Better to keep a young body that shows some potential in camp if they're not going to dress anyway.

This team likely has some more cuts or retirements coming up. I would expect Smith to be cut, and hopefully Kemo as well. Hampton is another guys can see getting tossed out, but there really isn't anything behind him at NT. I'd love to land Poe but who knows if he'll be ready to play day 1, seems no one is ever ready to make an impact on our defense.

Hines
02-29-2012, 11:57 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if they take a WR late or even the mid-rounds. They could use a bigger body and red zone threat.

Jakey
03-01-2012, 01:36 PM
I would HATE it if we lose Wallce in free-agency, then draft a WR in round 1 or 2. There is not much WR talent i like in this draft...i like Jeffrey a lot, but he a completely differer kind of player, he wouldnt clear the coverage away and allow AB and Sanders to do their thing. It would be a log-jam of quick but small recievers; Ab and Sanders...and stronger possession recievers; Cotchery and Jeffrey.

If we did end up with two 1st round picks, who would you want to land?

i would personally want, Hightower and Glenn.

Hines
03-01-2012, 02:07 PM
I don't think we should worry about losing Wallace. Even if we do, and I would hate it, I'd gladly take the two first rounders in return. WRs are dime and a dozen.

Hines
03-01-2012, 03:19 PM
Aaron Smith has been cut.

DeeboHarrison
03-01-2012, 03:55 PM
Hey guys - new to the forum so bare with me. But a die hard Steeler fan so I think I can bring some fire in here.

First off - Hines... yes WR's are a dime a dozen to a certain extent. There are a lot of mediocre #2 and average slot guys that can be had in every draft in round 3-5. HOWEVER - deep threats like wallace are certainly not a dime a dozen. Wallace is as good a deep threat as anyone in the NFL and we are NOT going to be able ot easily replace what he does for the team with the #30 or #31 pick.

Second off - seems like there's a lot of love for Mike Adams from you guys. I suspect this is from the recent hype at the Senior Bowl and by looking at his size. As a hardcore Buckeye fan who has watched every single one of his games over the past 4 years and all but 1 of the home games in person I can tell you this. The man is soft. He is a good pass protector but he got absolutely DESTROYED by Ryan Kerrigan 2 straight seasons. JJ Watt also ate his lunch. Were these two premier DE's in the NCAA, without a doubt, but that's what you face every week in the nfl. That's not the most frustrating part about him; that goes to his run blocking. For such a monster of a human being you think he'd dominate in this facet. Nope. Mike Adams catches people when he blocks, he doesn't maul them.

There's also character concerns. They go beyong just free tattoos. He said he "needed the money" from selling his gear to travel to Western PA to see his extended family. This is a blatant lie by Adams - he is from Dublin, one of the richest suburbs in Columbus. If you could see the house he grew up in you'd know all he had to do was ask his parents for cash and it would've been there. My bigger chracter concern is the man is not disciplined in the weight room and that is obvious. He didn't slim down or get noticably stronger during his time at Ohio State and this culminated with a pathetic 19 reps at the combine. Not going to overpower ANYONE in the nfl with that lack of strength. If I had to make a prospect comparison to Adams I'd go with Alex Barron. And Adams is a poor man's Barron. I think we can get better than that at 24.

brat316
03-01-2012, 04:02 PM
Mike Adams mike Starks 2.0? hahah

Mr. Goosemahn
03-01-2012, 04:44 PM
Chris Kemoeatu has also been cut today.

Hines
03-01-2012, 04:49 PM
Expect Farrior to be next.

brat316
03-01-2012, 05:44 PM
Chris Kemoeatu has also been cut today.

Celebrate!!!

3GwjfUFyY6M

QZsppOw2Mxk

Hines
03-01-2012, 05:46 PM
Man, I don't know what I want to do. There are too many MLB's in next year's class that I love more than this year's. I mean I wouldn't mind Hightower at all in the first and then go with a S next year, but ugh.

brat316
03-01-2012, 05:49 PM
I think this year we can slide by. with Timmons, Foote/Slyvester combo, Ivry? I'm more worried about lack of depth on the outside.

This is for sure going to be a down year for our defence, or at least it is looking like it.

Hines
03-01-2012, 05:59 PM
I think this year we can slide by. with Timmons, Foote/Slyvester combo, Ivry? I'm more worried about lack of depth on the outside.

This is for sure going to be a down year for our defence, or at least it is looking like it.

I'm not worried about our OLBs. If Harrison and Wood stay healthy and Worilds continues to develop, we are fine. Also, don't forget about Chris Carter who will have a true offseason to develop.

steelersrock151
03-01-2012, 07:45 PM
Second off - seems like there's a lot of love for Mike Adams from you guys. I suspect this is from the recent hype at the Senior Bowl and by looking at his size. As a hardcore Buckeye fan who has watched every single one of his games over the past 4 years and all but 1 of the home games in person I can tell you this. The man is soft. He is a good pass protector but he got absolutely DESTROYED by Ryan Kerrigan 2 straight seasons. JJ Watt also ate his lunch. Were these two premier DE's in the NCAA, without a doubt, but that's what you face every week in the nfl. That's not the most frustrating part about him; that goes to his run blocking. For such a monster of a human being you think he'd dominate in this facet. Nope. Mike Adams catches people when he blocks, he doesn't maul them.

There's also character concerns. They go beyong just free tattoos. He said he "needed the money" from selling his gear to travel to Western PA to see his extended family. This is a blatant lie by Adams - he is from Dublin, one of the richest suburbs in Columbus. If you could see the house he grew up in you'd know all he had to do was ask his parents for cash and it would've been there. My bigger chracter concern is the man is not disciplined in the weight room and that is obvious. He didn't slim down or get noticably stronger during his time at Ohio State and this culminated with a pathetic 19 reps at the combine. Not going to overpower ANYONE in the nfl with that lack of strength. If I had to make a prospect comparison to Adams I'd go with Alex Barron. And Adams is a poor man's Barron. I think we can get better than that at 24.

I don't think there's a lot of love from the Steeler fans on here for Adams at all. But almost every mock draft has him falling to us (three out of four the other day, and the fourth had us taking Zietler). But these are the same idiots that have us taking cornerback in round 2 every single time. Steelers fans know our needs better than that.

steel man
03-02-2012, 08:24 AM
Guys we all know that the Steelers has always came through in the end, even when they miss on a pick or FA the team has still came through somehow. having said that, i still think there has been room for improvement with our picks and roster decisions.

dont worry be happy :)

brat316
03-02-2012, 08:26 AM
Guys we all know that the Steelers has always came through in the end, even when they miss on a pick or FA we have still came through somehow. having said that i think there has been room for improvement with our roster decisions.

dont worry be happy :)

the last few years of medicore drafting did catch up to us or will this year.

steelersrock151
03-02-2012, 09:40 AM
the last few years of medicore drafting did catch up to us or will this year.

Every year our "mediocre drafting" has us in the playoffs, two of the last four in the Super Bowl. We don't sign free agents (ok, once in a blue moon) so where is the talent coming from?
We lost in the first round. A rarity, but half the teams playing in the first round lose. We had several key injuries (um, our entire starting defensive line from the pre-season missed all/most of the game, two outside linebackers not at 100%, safety not playing, not to mention the offense) and we lost in overtime. It isn't time to trash the whole team and start over. Its time to tweak. And if that means getting rid of some players whose on-field value doesn't equal their off-field contracts, then so be it.

K Train
03-02-2012, 09:41 AM
Quick mock

Donta Hightower MLB Bama
Brandon Washington G Miami
Josh Chapman NT Bama
Isaiah Pead RB Cincy
Chad Diehl FB Clemson
Aldarius Johnson WR Miami
Blair Walsh K Georgia

brat316
03-02-2012, 09:44 AM
Every year our "mediocre drafting" has us in the playoffs, two of the last four in the Super Bowl. We don't sign free agents (ok, once in a blue moon) so where is the talent coming from?
We lost in the first round. A rarity, but half the teams playing in the first round lose. We had several key injuries (um, our entire starting defensive line from the pre-season missed all/most of the game, two outside linebackers not at 100%, safety not playing, not to mention the offense) and we lost in overtime. It isn't time to trash the whole team and start over. Its time to tweak. And if that means getting rid of some players whose on-field value doesn't equal their off-field contracts, then so be it.

Everyone has injuries, but having the quality depth is what keeps teams afloat. We have enough depth on the defense of side, to keep us good. But lack of quality is what is hurting use on the offensive line and Cb spots. It worked out great how good Wallace and Brown have turned out, Sanders is still ? cause of injuries.

DeeboHarrison
03-02-2012, 09:47 AM
Farrior officially cut

Sad to see him go, great captain for a lot of years on our defense. That being said, it was time. Brian Leonard outrunning him to the corner on a 3rd down swing pass a couple seasons ago has been burning a hole in my brain ever since.

steelernation77
03-02-2012, 09:48 AM
Larry Grant from the 49ers played well this year when filling in for Willis. He's a RFA but with Bowman and Willis entrenched, they may not be able to match an offer.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/12/05/SPV71M8NCO.DTL

Burden
03-02-2012, 09:48 AM
Being good for as long as they have is bound to catch up with you sooner or later. As good as the FO is, you can't hit on the majority of your picks when you are consistently picking late in the rounds. Steelers do it better than most but eventually you are going to miss and the last few years have not as been as strong as in years past. I think a rededication of the interior lines is what the primary focus needs to be (and appears is going to be). They've gotten away from that in recent years and its been damaging to the skill players they've invested so much money into (i.e. Roethlisberger).

Unless Glenn or DeCastro slide to them at 24, they are going to go DT or ILB in the first. OG class this year is pretty good and they could probably not have much of a dip in talent picking one up in the 2nd/3rd round. While Poe most likely won't be available at 1.24, I've heard Brockers as a name that was recently thrown around and he has the ability to bulk up to 320. He is also being mentored by Bills DT Kyle Williams, which is a positive. Personally I'd go after Hightower in the first and look best available OG (Zeitler? Silatolu? Washington?) or DT (Ta'amu? Chapman? Martin?) in the 2nd/3rd rounds respectively. Late rounds probably look at a big WR target for the redzone, OT, HB/Returner (not sold on Sanders handling the load), OLB depth, and/or a safety. I know people have been clamoring for a kicker in the late rounds but I don't see that happening. I'm pretty sure the last couple of times they just had open tryouts (Reed, Suisham).

brat316
03-02-2012, 10:12 AM
Don't forget Punter.

Burden
03-02-2012, 10:14 AM
Don't forget Punter.

I think they are just going to go with Kapinos. He's been servicable in the wake of Sepulveda's many injuries.

Hines
03-02-2012, 10:23 AM
Last few years of mediocre drafting? Our last two drafts have been extremely solid. I don't know what you are talking about.

Also, I think it is safe to say that Hightower will be a Steeler as long as no one takes him before 24. Foote is going to start this year, though.

steelersrock151
03-02-2012, 10:49 AM
Last few years of mediocre drafting? Our last two drafts have been extremely solid. I don't know what you are talking about.

Also, I think it is safe to say that Hightower will be a Steeler as long as no one takes him before 24. Foote is going to start this year, though.

Have to agree. If our latest draft stunk, we wouldn't have 6 RFAs to deal with before next week.

steelersrock151
03-02-2012, 11:03 AM
We have 74 players currently on our roster. 36 of them have come from the last 3 years. Once we get around to not making offeres to some of our free agents (Dennis Dixon, Starks, Batch, Letwich, Sepulveda, Essex) and Jonathon Scott gets the boot, thats more than half. I know some were signed as cannon fodder after the season, but still. Our drafts are not the disasters some people want to paint them as.
The one time we had a chance to grab first round o-line talent in the last five years, we drafted first round o-line talent. And it paid off.

Hines
03-02-2012, 11:04 AM
I actually want Essex to return.

Burden
03-02-2012, 11:35 AM
I actually want Essex to return.

He's a cheap depth option to keep around for another year. Couldn't hurt.

Hines
03-02-2012, 11:40 AM
He's a cheap depth option to keep around for another year. Couldn't hurt.

He can play all 5 OL positions pretty decently. I like him more than Legs.

DeathbyStat
03-02-2012, 11:52 AM
New Walter Football Mock

1.Donta Hightower LB Alabama

2.Kevin Zeitler G Wisconsin

3.Bernard Pierce RB Temple

4.Akiem Hicks DT Regina Rams

5.Brandon Lindsey LB Pitt

......I can dig it....

Brandon Brooks of Miami of Ohio looked really good at his Pro Day

6'5 346 4.98 Forty 36 Bench reps

Maybe we could take him in the 2nd or 3rd

steelersrock151
03-02-2012, 12:24 PM
New Walter Football Mock

......I can dig it....

More second round guard depth, which may make Cordy Glenn less likely for Steelers in the first round. or more likely to fall, if teams believe they will be able to get a quality guard in the second, making him more likely. I'm so confused.

And yeah, I think a lot of people were impressed with Brooks. How did this guy not get invited to the combine?

Jakey
03-02-2012, 12:55 PM
New Walter Football Mock

......I can dig it....

Good draft...would prefer Doug Martin, Chris Polk or Pead over pierce though.

Hightower and Zeitler would be starters pretty quickly.

Mr. Goosemahn
03-02-2012, 02:38 PM
If we somehow got both Glenn and Brooks, that would be one big ass line, haha. 2 340 lbers. who are very athletic, and Pouncey, on the inside.

Burden
03-03-2012, 12:43 PM
Here's a quick mock:

Round 1: Dont'a Hightower, ILB, Alabama
Round 2: Brandon Washington, OG, Miami
Round 3: Brandon Brooks, OG, Miami (OH)
Round 4: Akiem Hicks, DT, Regina (Canada)
Round 5: Marvin McNutt, WR, Iowa
Round 6: Tank Carder, OLB, TCU
Round 7: Chad Diehl, FB, Clemson

mikehop05
03-04-2012, 12:26 PM
so besides poe and hightower... who else would you be happy with at 24 in the first?

Jakey
03-04-2012, 02:25 PM
so besides poe and hightower... who else would you be happy with at 24 in the first?

Cordy Glenn
Mike Adams

Mark Barron?
Dre Kirkpatrick?
Janoris Jenkins?
Zach Brown?
Peter Konz?
Kevin Zeitler?

Hines
03-04-2012, 02:35 PM
Cordy Glenn, Jon Martin(if he falls), Konz, and Kuelchy(doubt he falls). Mark Barron is on my list too.

I would like me some Dre, but his character is all wacked out and the last time we dealt with a pot smoker, we shifted him to New York for a third day pick. I'm not sure how bad Dre's pot smoking is, though. But I did hear he didn't do too well in interviews.

Jakey
03-04-2012, 03:23 PM
Is Jonathan Martin any good?

Reminds me of Derek Sherrod from last year.

Hines
03-04-2012, 05:42 PM
Is Jonathan Martin any good?

Reminds me of Derek Sherrod from last year.

Smart, athletic, durable. Sherrod would have been fine by me. By drafting Martin, we can kill two birds with one stone and move Colon inside.

mikehop05
03-04-2012, 06:45 PM
cool cool thanks.. i havn't been able to follow the off season stuff as much this year so i wanna start by just focusing on our more likely targets

Jakey
03-04-2012, 07:10 PM
Smart, athletic, durable. Sherrod would have been fine by me. By drafting Martin, we can kill two birds with one stone and move Colon inside.

I've thought about drafting a RT and moving Colon inside, but imo it is a flawed plan.

Colon is obviously better suited at RT (or he would have been moved earlier), and even if he does move to guard, RG would be his ideal position. In which case, Foster or Legs would be the starter at LG...which imo would be a weaker line than Colon and Foster on the right, and Gilbert and a rookie (Glenn, Osemele, Washington etc) on the left. Foster doesnt play as well on the left, and Legs is not starter material imo (as much as i like him).

Hines
03-04-2012, 07:17 PM
I've thought about drafting a RT and moving Colon inside, but imo it is a flawed plan.

Colon is obviously better suited at RT (or he would have been moved earlier), and even if he does move to guard, RG would be his ideal position. In which case, Foster or Legs would be the starter at LG...which imo would be a weaker line than Colon and Foster on the right, and Gilbert and a rookie (Glenn, Osemele, Washington etc) on the left. Foster doesnt play as well on the left, and Legs is not starter material imo (as much as i like him).

They could still draft a LG if they were to draft a LT/RT in the first. Martin-Wagner/Kendricks-Brooks/Nicks in the first three rounds.

DeathbyStat
03-05-2012, 06:59 AM
[QUOTE=Jakey;2886172]

Cordy Glenn-Yes im good with that. Starting to like getting Brandon Brooks later on. Had a workout similar to Glenn at his Miami of Ohio pro day

Mike Adams-Scares me to death

Mark Barron-Wouldn't hate it or love it. the position needs to be upgraded sooner or later. I have a feeling Troy and Clark are going to fall apart physically in the next three years and Mundy isn;t the guy. We should wait for next years seemingly stronger Safety class next year.

Dre Kirkpatrick-Good with this but I doubt he falls this far.

Janoris Jenkins-Same feeling i have on KirkPatrick, might not even be on the Steelers board. After all his pot incidents

Zach Brown-Great athlete bad instincts, fits into Tomlin's MO of Drafting freaks

Peter Konz-Moving him to guard?

Kevin Zeitler-saw him get destroyed in one on ones at the senior bowl, I need to watch more of him

DeeboHarrison
03-05-2012, 01:45 PM
What's up with all the love for Peter Konz in round 1? Biiiig reach for us in my opinion.

First of all we have a center so we're going to be moving him to a new position. Second the guy only put up 18 reps at the combine. That's pathetic and doesn't even register on the scale for olinemen (except for Mike Adams).

For us - I'd take Zeitler or Osemele over Konz EASILY in round 1.

But if we're going to take a center and move him out to guard I would much rather wait 2 rounds and pick up Michael Brewster out of THE Ohio State University - who would've been a first round pick had he come out last year.

Burden
03-05-2012, 03:11 PM
Any word on the tenders the Steelers used today. SteelersDepot was reporting earlier the Steelers may use a 2nd round tender instead of ROFR on Legursky and Foster.

Phillysteeler
03-05-2012, 08:47 PM
The deadline for restricted tenders is the 13th. The deadline today was just franchise and transition tags. So we will have to wait another week to see.

K Train
03-06-2012, 09:28 AM

Glenn, Adams, Jenkins, Konz.....and i think thats pretty much it for me

Hines
03-06-2012, 09:35 AM
I don't think Jenkins would get picked by the Steelers if he were there at 24.

Smooth Criminal
03-06-2012, 09:52 AM
I'm starting to really want to get Glenn. I've gotten so sick of having a weak offensive line, it'd be nice to add a talented guy next to Pouncey.

Still need to look for talent at MLB, NT, and CB, but I would really love to se guard addressed. Don't want to go into the season with Legursky and Foster as starters.

K Train
03-06-2012, 09:54 AM
i dont really think it would happen, but he seems smart and he seems to have cleaned up. Ive just heard how well he interveiws, so who knows

ellsy82
03-06-2012, 09:57 AM
I'm warming up to Mike Adams. Dunno which tackle position we'd play him at, but he's gotta be worth 1.24.

K Train
03-06-2012, 05:11 PM
i love mike adams, i think hes legit. people are questioning his strength because of the 19 reps but starks was 10 pounds heavier and did 2 reps more and at 6-8 340ish thats not what you would love but its not unheard of. mike adams is good on his feet and plays good down field.

Hines
03-06-2012, 05:42 PM
Bold statement: Curtis Brown will lead the team in interceptions.

ellsy82
03-06-2012, 09:08 PM
Easy claim. That'e because Ike can't catch a ball to save his family.

Sloopy
03-07-2012, 07:58 AM
I encourage you all to check out my latest 4 round mock draft :)

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51453

steelersrock151
03-07-2012, 09:01 AM
I did sloop. I'll repost my comments here:
As bad a draft as I've seen for the Steelers. A) Zietler is second round material, not first. They need o-line, but not enough to reach that far. B) We need safety. But Iloka will go down as one overdrafted person if he goes before late 3. Knock on him in college was that he was slow and gets burned deep regularly. Proved at combine he is slow and will get burned deep regularly. C) I can live with a RB, but not top 3. When Mendenhall went down, fill in ran for over 100 yds. Not that big a need. D) Burflict. Not anything worse I can say than that. Go Hightower, Silotolu or Chapman, Martin or Massie, and Allen the way your draft plays out.

Hines
03-07-2012, 10:05 AM
I like Zietler, but the Steelers live or die with the defense. I firmly believe that if Hightower is there at 24, they will pick him.

Also, it is reported that we are VERY interested in Isaiah Pead. I'd take him in the third round. He'd add another element to our offense that we do not have at the RB position.

I like Taze, but don't think he'll even be on our draft board.

DeeboHarrison
03-07-2012, 10:08 AM
i love mike adams, i think hes legit. people are questioning his strength because of the 19 reps but starks was 10 pounds heavier and did 2 reps more and at 6-8 340ish thats not what you would love but its not unheard of. mike adams is good on his feet and plays good down field.

K Train and ellsy. Please refer to my previous post on Adams. I have been watching him in person the last 4 years (3 and a half with suspension/2.5 startin) and the guy is SOFT. I want no part of Mike Adams whatsoever and I urge you to watch tape of him get destroyed when he goes against NFL level DE's such as Ryan Kerrigan, JJ Watt and Jared Odrick. Especially Kerrigan who ate his lunch on just about every play. Also he doesn't get a great push in the run game like you would expect from a man that massive. He's a catcher, not a mauler.

K Train
03-07-2012, 10:16 AM
eh max starks was "soft" too, a 6-8 teddy bear for years...i dont think adams is quite that bad.

i do believe that hightower will be the pick though

Hines
03-07-2012, 10:18 AM
Only way I don't see Hightower next year is if someone like Dre, Martin, or even Kuelchy is there at 24.

DeeboHarrison
03-07-2012, 10:18 AM
Are you guys really on board with Dont'a Hightower as our 1st round pick. By most all accounts that's what signs are pointing towards and I do not agree with it.

Here's why:
You can say what you will about Hightower but he's not an athletic ILB. He's not going to be able to cover TE's. Also he's not a sideline-to-sideline type guy. I think 5-10 years ago you could justify taking a one-dimensional run stopping ILB who has all the intagibles in the world with your first rounder. Today is a new day though. I can already see Hightower getting toasted by Ed Dickson and Jermaine Gresham. Pull him on passing downs, you say? SO you're taking a 2 down linebacker in the first round?

Me, I prefer to go with Ta'Amu in the first round. Hoping he lasts till the second is a pipe dream. 3-4 NT's are VERY hard to come by. He's not going to make it out of the top 40. In fact I think the Texans are very likely to snatch him up at 26 if we don't pull the trigger. So I am all about Alameda at 24.

DeeboHarrison
03-07-2012, 10:20 AM
eh max starks was "soft" too, a 6-8 teddy bear for years...i dont think adams is quite that bad.

i do believe that hightower will be the pick though

Trust me when I say Max Starks is a BEST-CASE scenario for Mike Adams. And do you really wanna blow a first rounder on another Max Starks when we could sign the actual Max Starks at a reasonable price.

K Train
03-07-2012, 10:29 AM
eh i think his ceiling is much much higher than that. worst case scenerio hes starks imo, best case scenerio hes jonathan ogden lol

Sloopy
03-07-2012, 10:50 AM
I did sloop. I'll repost my comments here:
As bad a draft as I've seen for the Steelers. A) Zietler is second round material, not first. They need o-line, but not enough to reach that far. B) We need safety. But Iloka will go down as one overdrafted person if he goes before late 3. Knock on him in college was that he was slow and gets burned deep regularly. Proved at combine he is slow and will get burned deep regularly. C) I can live with a RB, but not top 3. When Mendenhall went down, fill in ran for over 100 yds. Not that big a need. D) Burflict. Not anything worse I can say than that. Go Hightower, Silotolu or Chapman, Martin or Massie, and Allen the way your draft plays out.

I understand your concern with not drafting Hightower but I also think your organization will be fine going forward with what they have at ILB. Thus taking one in the first is a luxury.

Meanwhile, the OL sucks, plain and simple. Z in your opinion may be a 2nd rounder but in this weak draft, a lot of 2nd round talents will be going in the late first and Z is one of the better ones to reach for IMO.

Iolka certainly needs work, but that is why he will develop under Troy and Clark. Again, he may be a 3rd round talent, but their isn't much safety depth in this class and if you don't grab one early, you may not get a serviceable one at all. I could have given you Silatolu, but I had already given you a G in the first.

By all accounts you guys will target a RB early and rumor is that Pead is a guy on your raidar, that wasn't exactly who I think you should have taken, but who I think you very well may end up taking in the 3rd if the FO is that sold on him.

Taze isn't exactly hot right now but I think someone takes him in the late 4th early 3rd and he may very well end up producing for you.

I understand the need for NT but I didn't see you guys reaching on one and none were available where you were selecting. Could have gone Ta'amu in the first, but I considered Z the BPA of the two and both fill a need.

I'll repost my response here so it's easier for you guys :)

As I explained earlier, I really don't see the organization taking an ILB in the first.

I know Hightower fits the profile of a Steeler mentality but I feel like the organizaton would view it as a luxury in round one when the line is a much more glaring hole

I don't see the organization reaching on Chapman in the 2nd as I really have him as a 3rd rounder. Wade might as he has suffered for not having a true NT in the past; that is why the Texans reach on one.

I will admit I had a feeling that most Steelers fans on this board wouldn't agree with the picks. I will take this into account but I feel pretty confident in my reasoning.

I'll check back here for any responses. This is a topic which actually interests me as I find myself in the same spot of mocking 2nd rounder types to the Ravens in the bottom of the first. I consider Hightower a 2nd round talent just as much as Z, yet both have been mocked in first rounds lately.

DeeboHarrison
03-07-2012, 04:28 PM
eh i think his ceiling is much much higher than that. worst case scenerio hes starks imo, best case scenerio hes jonathan ogden lol

Agree to disagree then lol

Just mark my words...Mike Adams is a bum.

DeeboHarrison
03-07-2012, 04:31 PM
Kiper has us taking Hightower in his latest mock draft. He also has Jonathan Martin slipping all the way to round 2. Personally if Martin is there I think he's an ideal RT. How sweet would that be to (hopefully) be set at LT/C/RT for a while with some young studs.

Then could kick Colon inside to guard. Give him a one season tryout and if it doesn't work out then cut him and put his 6 mill a year to good use elsewhere. I know people have mentioned if Colon could play guard we would've moved him there already but RT is a more valuable spot than both guard positions and we've needed him there (when he's been healthy) over the alternatives like Jon Scott/Trai Essex.

K Train
03-07-2012, 06:25 PM
i have zero doubts colon could play guard, hes been a good RT though so before it would have been a step backward. I like colon a lot, hes a good drive blocking RT, but i do think he could be a beast inside based on his drive blocking being his best asset, not the most nimble pulling guard, but probably a good RG on our oline. i think colon and flo would have been beast on the right side, shame the only reason we got flo was cause colon went down or maybe we could have seen him at guard

K Train
03-07-2012, 07:16 PM
think they would not draft a NT and bring back anthony gray? let woods, gray, mcclendon, and hood play for NT?

btw im sold on Hightower and Brandon Brooks lately, kinda like them as the first two picks.

DeeboHarrison
03-08-2012, 09:16 AM
Yeah i just really like the idea fo taking martin if he slips because like you said, Colon couldbe a beast in the run game at guard. And if he gets injured then it's not as big a deal as trying to play Jon Scott or Essex at RT. In theory we would have LT/C/RG/RT set for at least a few years if we got Jonathan martin

Jakey
03-08-2012, 10:23 AM
I give up on Colon moving to guard. If it happens, sweet...but i doubt it will.

would...

1: Hightower (a'la Scotts mock)
2: Ta'aumu (a'la Scotts mock)
3: Brandon Brooks (projected round)

...be the perfect draft?

Burden
03-08-2012, 10:34 AM
I would be definitely content with that draft.

steelersrock151
03-08-2012, 10:40 AM

would...

...be the perfect draft?

Don't know about perfect, and won't really know until the draft based on whose available at those spots.

But if that was the first two days of our draft, I would sleep soundly on friday night.

K Train
03-08-2012, 11:09 AM

would...

...be the perfect draft?

pretty perfect. im not CRAZY about taamu, but i think he will be a solid contributor and keep blockers off timmons and hightower and especially hood since he cant keep his own blockers

Jakey
03-08-2012, 12:16 PM
Man, we have some needs this year. Cant remember a year where we have been so needy for starters/future starters.

LG, RG, NT, ILB all need to be addressed a.s.a.p.

RT, FS, RB will all need to be adressed pretty soon too. If not this year, but next.

Hines
03-08-2012, 11:52 PM
7 members of our team was at the Miami(Fla.) Pro Day and that includes Tomlin.

Also, John Mitchell was at the Mississippi State pro day to work out Cox.

SCSteeler
03-09-2012, 12:28 AM
7 members of our team was at the Miami(Fla.) Pro Day and that includes Tomlin.

Also, John Mitchell was at the Mississippi State pro day to work out Cox.

Who, in Miami, do you think we were we looking at?

Hines
03-09-2012, 01:40 AM
Who, in Miami, do you think we were we looking at?

Brandon Washington, Chase Ford, Lamar Miller, Tommy Streeter, and possibly Marcus Fortson.

K Train
03-09-2012, 09:28 AM
probably just washington and miller i would say

Hines
03-09-2012, 12:07 PM
Tomlin, Haley, and Lebeau were at the Ohio State Pro Day. Not unexpected, though.

DeeboHarrison
03-09-2012, 01:19 PM
Tomlin, Haley, and Lebeau were at the Ohio State Pro Day. Not unexpected, though.

I would expect us to have a good contingent there always, being it's only a 3 hour drive. If Brewster is there in the 3rd I think he's an interesting option to kick out to guard.

I also would LOVE to be able to snag Posey if he's there for us in the 4th round. He was a slight disappointment up until this season. He only played the last 3 games but he was a monster for those 3 games against good opponents. He's not huge (6'2, 211) but would be our biggest wideout. Pretty good vertical (36.5") so he could be a good redzone threat. People never mention this about him but he's a solid downfield run blocker as well. I think he is going to end up being a legit #2 somewhere in the league.

Hines
03-09-2012, 02:58 PM
Yes, I would love Posey.

Hines
03-09-2012, 04:14 PM
Joseph Addai got cut by the Colts today. I wouldn't mind picking him up as strictly a third down back and he could start if he's healthy enough.

Melvin Bullitt is another guy that intrigues me, but he's only played 6 games the past 2 seasons, so I doubt he'd get signed by someone until he passes a physical.

Hines
03-09-2012, 06:45 PM
Looks like Mike Adams was the guy we were looking at when they went to OSU.

CDub
03-10-2012, 10:42 AM
I just noticed that my rep points went waaay up - not sure who did it or when but thanks.

Also - anyone else wondering when we'll start seeing some new scouting reports from Scott??

Hines
03-11-2012, 09:40 PM
It sucks that we need a MLB this year because I absolutely LOVE the potential MLB class next year.

Santonio10
03-12-2012, 09:58 AM
It sucks that we need a MLB this year because I absolutely LOVE the potential MLB class next year.

I'm kind of hoping we can get Mike Mauti next year. That's if he can stay healthy this year at PSU

Mr. Goosemahn
03-12-2012, 01:00 PM
I know we probably won't sign FAs, but I'd like to see if we could get ILB Jovan Belcher from KC. He's the type of Lb we need, someone who takes on blockers and opens things up for Timmons.

K Train
03-12-2012, 01:04 PM
that signing would be very keyaron fox-like, not out of the question.

10 mil under the cap, ----> carl nicks haha

brat316
03-12-2012, 01:21 PM
we are really 10 million under the cap? Man thats good, I thought we would be like 5-8 under. but 10 is real good.

well need to reserve 5 for rookies.

K Train
03-12-2012, 01:24 PM
Bengals: $49.9 million under.
Broncos: $44.7 million under.
Buccaneers: $42.7 million under.
Jaguars: $40.6 million under.
Chiefs: $32.5 million under.
Redskins: $31.1 million under.
Bills: $30.8 million under.
Seahawks: $29.8 million under.
Titans: $28.1 million under.
Bears: $22.6 million under.
49ers: $21.8 million under.
Browns: $17.4 million under.
Patriots: $16.2 million under.
Chargers: $14.9 million under.
Ravens: $14.45 million under.
Dolphins: $11.8 million under.
Colts: $11.6 million under.
Steelers: $10.5 million under.
Eagles: $9.6 million under.
Vikings: $7.9 million under.
Jets: $7.1 million under.
Falcons: $5.8 million under.
Packers: $5.4 million under.
Saints: $5.2 million under.
Cowboys: $4.7 million under.
Rams: $1.2 million under.
Giants: $3.8 million over.
Texans: $4.7 million over.
Panthers: $5.3 million over.
Raiders: $7.4 million over.
Lions: $11.5 million over.
Cardinals: $16.4 million over.

Hines
03-12-2012, 01:31 PM
I want Jon Goff if we are signing a FA LB. Also, I could see a few more cuts coming.

Hines
03-12-2012, 05:28 PM
As far as trading for a LB, I wouldn't mind trading a 7th round pick to San Fran for Larry Grant. He played well in his starts when Willis left.

Jakey
03-12-2012, 08:07 PM
Really cant see the point in retaining Casey Hampton.

He wont be healthy until mid-season, and when he is, he will probably be like 400lbs.

Why pay a 2-down, injured, overweight, overpaid, old NT? Surely any big body would do what Big Snack can do now!

Hines
03-12-2012, 08:10 PM
Really cant see the point in retaining Casey Hampton.

He wont be healthy until mid-season, and when he is, he will probably be like 400lbs.

Why pay a 2-down, injured, overweight, overpaid, old NT? Surely any big body would do what Big Snack can do now!

I think he'll be ready around opening day. He doesn't need his knee as much as Mendenhall. I agree that his salary is killing us, but he knows the system and we need him at the moment.

K Train
03-13-2012, 09:38 AM
eh knowing the system isnt really crucial for out type of NT, i think they will end up cutting him if they can land taamu or chapman....or if they think theyve managed to squeeze any potential out of woods

brat316
03-13-2012, 11:07 AM
http://www.neweracap.com/Libraries/FB_NFL/steelers-cap.sflb.ashx

Steelers draft hat.

Hines
03-13-2012, 07:17 PM
Kellen Davis is visiting on Thursday. I'd be happy with that pick up. A big, athletic pass catcher who can stretch the seem? Yes please.

CDub
03-13-2012, 08:06 PM
After the tenders we offered we're only $1.6mil under the cap.

Hines
03-15-2012, 12:42 AM
It looks like Tomlin and Colbert really liked Trenton Robinson at their Pro Day yesterday. I've learned that if Tomlin AND Colbert both show up at a Pro Day and talk to a prospect, they aren't messing around.

Burden
03-15-2012, 09:13 AM
According to SteelersDepot, Casey Hampton took a pay cut and gave up his workout bonus to adjust his cap hit anywhere from 3-5mil in the Steelers favor (approximately).

K Train
03-15-2012, 09:19 AM
trenton robinson is a good player, im interested to see just how interested in FS they are

Hines
03-15-2012, 09:35 AM
trenton robinson is a good player, im interested to see just how interested in FS they are

I like Robinson because he can play FS and the slot his rookie season if we were to draft him. He smallish, but so is Ryan Clark.

K Train
03-15-2012, 11:21 AM
hes a little smaller but i like him the same way i liked quinton carter last year....hes a good coverage safety that could play some NB.

the problem i have with FS in the draft is that i feel like keenan lewis and cortez allen are both good FSs, and i thought the same about donovan warren and crezdon butler, and even mcfadden. all just seem like they would be better there than at CB, i just am unclear on what they are looking for

DeeboHarrison
03-15-2012, 04:14 PM
Keenan Lewis definitely doesn't strike me as having the lateral quickness to be a FS ... jury's out on Cortez allen as he's only seen limited action.

K Train
03-15-2012, 07:12 PM
but clark has the quickness lewis doesnt? not really

DeeboHarrison
03-16-2012, 09:02 AM
Yes he does. Watch the tape from last year Ryan clark was a top 5 safety in the NFL. Made plays all over the place and saved some TD's from happening that people don't even really notice. I argue CLark had a better year last year than Polamalu - but a lot of that has to do with injuries taking their toll on POlamalu - I'm not suggesting Ryan is better than Troy.

K Train
03-16-2012, 09:28 AM
ryan clark was often benched on third down, he is not that good even if he made a few plays. saying hes top 5 is insane

Mr. Goosemahn
03-16-2012, 02:58 PM
If he's cheap and the market continues to not develop for him, I'd bring in LaRon Landry. Will probably wind up signing a short deal because of his injuries, so he might be worth a look. If he can be good and healthy, we found our replacement for Troy when he gets injured, or Clark when he leaves because of age.

Burden
03-16-2012, 10:12 PM
San Diego Union-Tribune is reporting that the Steelers or Panthers are the likely landing spot for Mike Tolbert. I would be very happy with this. He should come relatively cheap.

Mr. Goosemahn
03-16-2012, 11:28 PM
San Diego Union-Tribune is reporting that the Steelers or Panthers are the likely landing spot for Mike Tolbert. I would be very happy with this. He should come relatively cheap.

Yes! Tolbert is one of the guys I'd really like. Tough, good hands, good runner. We'd have the slowest RBs though, haha. Redman, Tolbert, Dwyer, Clay, no speedsters.

CDub
03-17-2012, 12:32 PM
Hey now - wasn't it Clay who broke off that 70yd run

Mr. Goosemahn
03-17-2012, 12:42 PM
Hey now - wasn't it Clay who broke off that 70yd run

That was Dwyer. He's probably the fastest of the bunch.

Hines
03-17-2012, 01:37 PM
Gerry Dulac said that we aren't going to get Tolbert. That makes me sad.

Burden
03-17-2012, 03:44 PM
Yes! Tolbert is one of the guys I'd really like. Tough, good hands, good runner. We'd have the slowest RBs though, haha. Redman, Tolbert, Dwyer, Clay, no speedsters.

Baron Batch could fill that role if he stays healthy. Unproven, but could be the guy they are looking at.

Doesn't seem to matter if what Dulac says is true. Here's hoping he's wrong.

DeathbyStat
03-18-2012, 09:24 AM

Yeah he is basically the same player as the other guys we have.

Maybe he will play some full back

Matthew Jones
03-18-2012, 08:44 PM
FREE AGENCY 2012: TOGETHER AT LAST!?

http://www.tutorialpark.com/wp-content/uploads/3/Heart-Blending.jpg

http://thegazette.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/billbelichick.jpghttp://www.sportsfanlive.com/roller/pittsburghsteelersblog/resource/Aaron-Smith-Steelers-Aug10.jpg

Mr. Goosemahn
03-18-2012, 09:50 PM
FREE AGENCY 2012: TOGETHER AT LAST!?

http://www.tutorialpark.com/wp-content/uploads/3/Heart-Blending.jpg

http://thegazette.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/billbelichick.jpghttp://www.sportsfanlive.com/roller/pittsburghsteelersblog/resource/Aaron-Smith-Steelers-Aug10.jpg

:suicide:

TBH, I wouldn't be too pissed off. His body has given up on him.

Hines
03-18-2012, 10:04 PM
He's just being dumb. He's been telling me that for weeks. I could honestly see it though since BB likes to make those types of moves.

brat316
03-19-2012, 08:15 AM
How about that article about Tolbert maybe signing with Carolina and then trading away Stewart? I would be very interested in that trade, and would hope the Steelers would be as well.

K Train
03-19-2012, 09:30 AM
stewart would be an incredible pickup through trade

Burden
03-19-2012, 10:40 AM
I'd be alright with that, depending on the cost. What would you be willing to depart with in order to land him?

brat316
03-19-2012, 10:41 AM
3rd if right away, or conditional 3rd that can become a second next year.

Jakey
03-19-2012, 11:04 AM
3rd or lower. Preferably a 4th.

DeeboHarrison
03-19-2012, 11:06 AM
No way I'd give up a 3rd for Stewart. 4th I'd have to think about/5th I would do. Running backs are a dime a dozen.

K Train
03-19-2012, 11:06 AM
id give up a third in a heart beat

brat316
03-19-2012, 11:08 AM
5th? might that be low balling him to much?

Yeah they are a dime a dozen, but how many do you have to go through that are ready now. Draft a 3rd round back, or get one in his prime ready to go now?

DeeboHarrison
03-19-2012, 01:33 PM
I would definitely choose drafting one in the 3rd over trading for Jonathan Stewart now - though I think 4th round is more likely. Going this route you have a player at a very reasonable cap price. Stewart is going to want an extension if traded (which I'm reading Carolina plans to keep him anyway) so you are going to let Mendenhall walk after this season? I know people will say keep both but we can not afford to pay two starting RB's market value money with our cap problems. All these deferred bonus $'s DO eventually catch up to you.

Top 3 rounds this draft i think we need a NT/Guard/ILB (in any order) so I don't think we will use one on a running back till 4.

brat316
03-19-2012, 01:35 PM
Not this year we can't afford them next year cap goes up. We will be cutting a few more guys next year, Jame Harrison will be part of it.

DeeboHarrison
03-19-2012, 03:55 PM
We're not going to cut James Harrison. He is a freak and one of the top pass rushers in the NFL. If his has a completely unproductive year maybe, but not if he plays the way he has been.

K Train
03-19-2012, 04:39 PM
yeah seriously, if harrison averages a sack a game (not unheard of, actually closer to the norm) theyd be nuts to let him go

Jakey
03-19-2012, 05:56 PM
yeah seriously, if harrison averages a sack a game (not unheard of, actually closer to the norm) theyd be nuts to let him go

But wise to trade him.

steelcrew43
03-19-2012, 06:14 PM
whoever thinks J.Stew is not worth a 3rd is clueless

K Train
03-19-2012, 06:17 PM
seriously, i had hm ranked considerably higher than mendenhall that year and i think a full work load he could put up insane numbers....but hes never gotten that opportunity in carolina with williams blowing up as soon as they drafted him and then ultimately ended up resigning with carolina

Mr. Goosemahn
03-19-2012, 06:36 PM
We're not going to cut James Harrison. He is a freak and one of the top pass rushers in the NFL. If his has a completely unproductive year maybe, but not if he plays the way he has been.

While he has been playing well, I wouldn't be surprised if we're cap-strapped and he was cut. There's a reason we didn't restructure him, even after he openly admitted to be willing to do so. If we wanted to keep him for sure, we wouldn't have thought twice about switching money to guaranteed money in future years like we did with Ben, Taylor, Woodley, etc. He's 34 in a month, missed 5 games this year, and consequently had career lows (as a starter) in every category except sacks (8.5 in 2007, 9 the past year). 6 came from just two games.

If he misses more games and his production dips again, he could be next in line in Steelers-that-still-have-a-little-left-in-the-tank-but-are-let-go-for-financial-reasons, like Faneca and Porter.

It'll be a sad day for sure though.

Mr. Goosemahn
03-19-2012, 06:39 PM
seriously, i had hm ranked considerably higher than mendenhall that year and i think a full work load he could put up insane numbers....but hes never gotten that opportunity in carolina with williams blowing up as soon as they drafted him and then ultimately ended up resigning with carolina

Agree. Even though reporters are now saying he's not being traded, I'd swap a third for him without much hesitation. His salary is like $1.2 million, and he could re-sign next year.

Ah, we can dream...

DeeboHarrison
03-20-2012, 08:21 AM
Goosemahn - completely agree you have no choice but to cut him if his production dips to say 6 sacks on the year, but as you pointed out he's never had less than 8.5 since becoming a full-time starter. His game isn't predicated on speed - I think he has a big year this year and we keep him. You are right to point out we didn't re-structure him, I think we would if we had to in order to match a Wallace offer. Let's not forget the man has 45.5 sacks in the past 4 years.

DeeboHarrison
03-20-2012, 08:22 AM
Hines Ward press conference today. Word is he's going to officially retire. Think it's great he will retire a Steeler. Thanks Hines for all the great memories!

DeeboHarrison
03-20-2012, 08:31 AM
Bouchette believes Mendenhall is in his final season as a Steelers and has probably carried the rock his last time as a Steeler as well. So maybe RB is a higher priority than we think for this draft.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=115416

K Train
03-20-2012, 09:06 AM
i hope dwyer can come in and take advantage of this opportunity. he has legit ability i guess we'll find out how much faith they have in him after the draft

i do not want redman to be the starting RB...yuck

Hines
03-20-2012, 09:15 AM
Ya I want Dwyer to be the starting back. I'm still not a fan of Redman, though he runs hard and that's what old timers like. I know the Steelers have shown interest in Isaiah Pead.

K Train
03-20-2012, 09:18 AM
thats exactly it, old timers love redman because he was undrafted and runs pretty hard. i like him as a pass blocking back and a reciever, i think hes got great balance and a feel for the play out beating zones...hes a very mediocre back though.

dwyer has a tendancy to come in kinda tubby, but even so hes still the fastest, hopefully he can be in good shape and take control of the spot.

all indications are that they love Pead though, i wouldnt be surprised one bit to take him in 3 (possibly trade up in 3?)

Hines
03-20-2012, 09:21 AM
Yeah, Pead will be had in the third. Unless some strange **** goes on, I think the Steelers want to go Hightower-Martin-Pead-Robinson in the first couple rounds. Possibly trade down and get more picks for Lucas Nix.

I still have high hopes for Baron Batch. I believe he will make plays this coming season.

K Train
03-20-2012, 09:25 AM
heres my current mock, posted at steeleraddicts. this was 2 weeks ago, ill have 2 more like it at least by the draft

im doing a podcast on the 26th with them as well you guys should check it out.

1) Donta Hightower MLB AlabamaI think if Higtower is there at 24, he will be the pick. MLB is a need, but in this case it is also a luxury pick. Hightower has had his stock up and down over the last few years, looking like a first rounder early and then a mid rounder after his injury when he didnt really play that well and looked sluggish off the snap. Since then however he has been a force in the middle of the Alabama defense. Running a 4.6 at the combine has me sold on any speed question marks he once had. At 6-4 260 that speed is ridiculous. He is a perfect compliment to timmons in the middle and will start early in his career. Has the size to take on blockers, he has the blitzing ability to get to the QB both through the middle and off the ede at OLB so if harrison and woodley both are hurt we wont be crippled at OLB, and he has the size and strength to play DE on passing downs and just get after the QB. Very versatile, but will be a key in the middle of the defense for us, ive compared him to Adalius Thomas in that he can line up anywhere on the defense pretty much. imo hes a better prospect than Rolando mcclain in every way

Other possible picks:
Cordy Glenn- Big, mauling guard. A rare athlete at the position, instant upgrade at either guard spot
Mike Adams- 19 reps isnt a problem imo, these 6-8 guys usually do about that much, starks did 21. Great athlete and would be a great duo at tackle with Gilbert.
Dontari Poe- If hes there
Peter Konz- Upgrade at guard or an EXTREME upgrade at guard if they move pouncey and put Konz at center

2) Brandon Brooks OG Miami (OH)Heres a guy that has quickly risen up my board, hard to judge someone playing at Miami Ohio that didnt get a combine invite, but heres a little info on Brooks pro day:

After sizzling during the testing portion of his workout, Brandon Brooks continued to impress during a 10-minute segment of position drills. According to scouts Brooks moved well around the field, looking fluid and smooth. At one point during bag drills he knocked over a coach from the Pittsburgh Steelers after violently striking the bag with his powerful hand punch.Brooks is slated for a second workout next Thursday, March 8, where he will solely participate in offensive line drills. The expectations from NFL decision makers at the workout is Brooks will be the first non-combine participant drafted in April

Miami (OH) Guard Brandon Brooks had a very good pro day. He showed great athleticism (4.98, 32 inch vertical) and is a very big guy at 346. Not sure why he didn't get a Combine invite. I think the bold is a positive thing much more than it is a negative thing. He kind of reminds me of Heath Benedict, a prospect who passed away a few years ago that the steelers were very interested in coming in and replacing Alan Faneca. Big violent guard that showed a great punch and nimble feet. I have him as a 3rd round prospect at the moment, but the steelers take him near the tail end of round 2 after missing out on Decastro, Konz, Glenn, B. Washington, K Osemele, and maybe Kevin Zeitler. But Brooks is a great consolation prize to missing out on the top guards in a pretty good guard class.

Other Possible picks: Brandon Washington, K. Osemele, Kevin Zeitler, Stephen Gilmore, Alfonzo Dennard, Chase Minnifield, Alemeda Taamu, Jared Crick

3) Josh Chapman NT AlabamaHeres a guy that fought through injuries to play on arguably one of the greatest collegiate defenses ever, and he played a position that got no glory while opening up things for guys like Hightower, Upshaw, and Kirkpatrick to be first round picks. He wont be able to work out til this summer but he had a good showing on the bench (like 33 reps i believe) and he looks te part of a NT that we look for. We dont need a NT to run a 40 to draft him in the 3rd round, his tape speaks for itself

Other possible picks: Brandon Boykin, Doug Martin, Vontaze Bufict, D. Posey, Chris Polk

4) Isaiah Pead RB CincinattiRB probably needs to be addressed with Mendenhall starting out on the PUP list and his status being unclear. Dwyer, Clay and Redman are not guys i am comfortable with as RBs to start the year with and who the hell knows what they have planned for Baron Batch. My guess is Batch wins the 3rd down back role, but doesnt do much more than that. The steelers have shown a lot of interest in Pead and he had good workout numbers, definitely good enough to warrant a 4th rounder.

5) Chad Deihl FB ClemsonMassive 6-2 265 pound FB, no arians leaves a windo open for the steelers to use a real FB again. This man has head hunter potential. Hes got good acceleration, a mean punch, and never misses his assignments. Watch some stuff on him, hes a crushing lead blocker. Not sure what the steelers actual intentions are to use a FB in the next year, but if they go back to a mosre traditional FB running scheme, Diehl is a hell of a jumping off point.

6) Ron Brooks CB LSUNever started at LSU but was impressive in drills and ran in the 4.3s, its hard to find a starting spot when you are playing behind 2 top 6 picks in Peterson and Claiborne, and a Heisman Hopeful in Tyrann Mathieu, but hes athletic and can cover and be a beast on ST.

7) Blair Walsh Kicker GeorgiaBest kicker in the draft, bring him in to compete, it is about time to make moves on a kicker that can be reliable.

http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/showthread.php?35192-K-Train-s-Steeler-Mock-1-0

K Train
03-20-2012, 09:51 AM
anyone know if deunta williams ever signed with anyone? he sat out last season rehabbing after going undrafted

Hines
03-20-2012, 10:09 AM
The Steelers signed Wes Lyons back, along with former WVU TE Will Johnson. Johnson impressed Tomlin at WVU's Pro Day. He's 6'3 244 pounds, pushed 225 up 30 times and ran a 4.49. If he shows he can catch passes well, he could be a nice piece to our offfense down the seam.

Also, we brought in TE Anthony Hill for a visit. He's strictly a blocking TE. Could this mean the end of DJ? I kind of hope so.

brat316
03-20-2012, 10:16 AM
We signed Will Johnson? And he worked out at the pro day

Hines
03-20-2012, 10:17 AM
We signed Will Johnson? And he worked out at the pro day

He was in the draft a few years ago. A lot of players do that.

brat316
03-20-2012, 10:19 AM
I really want Brandon Washington in the second

Hines
03-20-2012, 10:19 AM
Here's some highlights of Will Johnson:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouwkrBkagkQ

brat316
03-20-2012, 10:22 AM
Looks fat, but small as well, I can't buy that he is 240

Burden
03-20-2012, 11:29 AM
I agree, he looks small for an H-Back.

Hines
03-20-2012, 12:29 PM
These were highlights in '10. He bulked up since then. At his Pro Day, he was 236 I believe.

Hines
03-21-2012, 01:16 AM
I'm starting to think Luke Kuelchy is going to be there at 24. If he is, I take him over Hightower any day.

DeathbyStat
03-21-2012, 07:48 PM
Started watching the running backs, really into Isiah Pead

Could be a steal in the 3rd round

Love to go

1.Hightower

2.Osemele/Brandon Brooks

3.Pead

Or maybe

1.Hightower

2.Osemele.

3.Brooks

4.Tauren Poole

steelersrock151
03-21-2012, 08:50 PM
I'm starting to think Luke Kuelchy is going to be there at 24. If he is, I take him over Hightower any day.

Most common place I see him in mocks is to Philly at 15, but Philly just picked up a MLB from Houston. Maybe. And I would be racing to the podium with that one.

Mr. Goosemahn
03-21-2012, 09:51 PM
Most common place I see him in mocks is to Philly at 15, but Philly just picked up a MLB from Houston. Maybe. And I would be racing to the podium with that one.

As would I. Kuechly would be awesome.

Also, Willie *** will decide where to play soon, rumored to be elsewhere. Keenan Lewis is gonna have to step up, and hopefully Cortez Allen shows why the coaches like him so much.

Burden
03-22-2012, 09:35 AM
profootballtalk is reporting that the 49ers had interest in Mike Wallace until they realized what his asking price was. He wants more than Larry Fitzgerald's 8yr/120mil contract. I don't know what the policy is about posting links so I won't here, but its at profootball talk right now.

Honestly if this is what it is going to take to sign him, I would try to cut my losses now and look for a trade partner. No way Pittsburgh can afford a deal like that and no way they would pay any receiver that kind of cash. I would focus my attention to signing Antonio Brown long term (who I think has the better chance of being the better all around receiver) and look to ship Wallace somewhere.

Wallace must have been smoking something Santonio left behind.

brat316
03-22-2012, 10:13 AM
Ask price and negotiations price are 2 different things.

Also we can franchise him next year and trade him, if we can't get him signed. He is a very good WR, but he is not Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitz, Andre Johnson

Burden
03-22-2012, 11:30 AM
he should look for djax money not fitz/megatron money. That's one hell of a gap to negotiate. I think if he does this with Pittsburgh, this may be his last year (unless they franchise him). There's no way Pittsburgh coughs up that much on a WR.

Phillysteeler
03-22-2012, 12:51 PM
Ask price and negotiations price are 2 different things.

Also we can franchise him next year and trade him, if we can't get him signed. He is a very good WR, but he is not Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitz, Andre Johnson

If we can make it through next year with him franchised, we might as well keep him at that point. The new tv deals would kick in that year which would significantly raise the salary cap (approximately $20-$30 million a team). We just have to make it through the next two years.

Burden
03-26-2012, 08:55 AM
Quick Mock:

1. Mike Adams, OT, Ohio State
2. Alameda Ta’amu, DT, Washington
3. Brandon Brooks, OG, Miami (OH)
4. Tank Carder, ILB, TCU
5. Tauren Poole, HB, Tennessee
6. Trenton Robinson, FS, Michigan State
7. Miles Burris, OLB, San Diego State
7a. Akiem Nicks, DE, University of Regina

K Train
03-26-2012, 09:01 AM
those are great picks

Jakey
03-26-2012, 09:05 AM
Just thought of an interesting draft scenario...

Trade 3rd round pick for Jonathan Stewart. Cut Mendy.

Draft:

1: Kevin Zeitler - OG
2: Brandon Brooks - OG
3: Traded - Jonathan Stewart
4: Trenton Robinson - FS
5: Vontaze Burfict - ILB
6: Hebron Fangupu - NT
7: Blair Walsh - K

Would be an immediate impact on the offense, with at least 1 starter at guard and a new starting RB.

Would be all about potential on defense, Taze and Fangupu would be experiments, but worth the risk at that point in the draft. Trenton would replace Will Allen asap.

Special teams would be upgraded, Walsh is the best kicker in this class imo.

What do you think?

Hines
03-26-2012, 09:43 AM
I don't think Taze is on our board to be honest. Fangupo will probably go higher as well.

Hines
03-26-2012, 09:44 AM
Quick Mock:

1. Mike Adams, OT, Ohio State
2. Alameda Ta’amu, DT, Washington
3. Brandon Brooks, OG, Miami (OH)
4. Tank Carder, ILB, TCU
5. Tauren Poole, HB, Tennessee
6. Trenton Robinson, FS, Michigan State
7. Miles Burris, OLB, San Diego State
7a. Akiem Nicks, DE, University of Regina

T-Rob will go higher as will Nicks. I don't like Poole. If he's as bad as UT fans say he is, then no thank you. Carder is a little small for a 34 LB IMO, but I'd be OK with him since he wants to be a Steeler. First three picks would be sex.

CDub
03-26-2012, 11:21 AM
Willie G.ay signed a 2yr deal w Arizona.

Also, according to an article in the Trib, Colbert says the team expects to have Mendenhall back in some capacity, even if not back to 100%, next year and that they are also interested in bringing back Moore so maybe we should slow down on the Pead idea.

Hines
03-26-2012, 01:55 PM
We were awarded 3 comp picks. For some reason, this really pumps me up. haha.

Burden
03-26-2012, 02:45 PM
we have 4 7th rounders now. depending on how the draft falls that could be a good thing.

Mr. Goosemahn
03-26-2012, 03:08 PM
We have been awarded 3 7th round compensatory picks for TE Matt Spaeth, DE Nick Eason, and LB Keyaron Fox.

Hines
03-26-2012, 03:19 PM
We have been awarded 3 7th round compensatory picks for TE Matt Spaeth, DE Nick Eason, and LB Keyaron Fox.

A little late there, Goose. :)

Mr. Goosemahn
03-26-2012, 03:23 PM
A little late there, Goose. :)

Holy crap, when I posted it there was nothing there... I probably left the window open I something.

I fail :S

Jakey
03-26-2012, 03:32 PM
Here is a bold prediction...

Chris Scott will be a starting guard by the start of the season.

(its bold, because he could just as easily be in the first wave of cuts)

Hines
03-26-2012, 03:38 PM
I think that Ramon Foster should be given the job. He is a nice player. I don't know why the staff hates him that much.

DeeboHarrison
03-27-2012, 10:28 AM
Well we do have 2 open guard positions so there's always the chance they could both start.

I really hope Cordy Glenn is in one of those spots tho

DeeboHarrison
03-27-2012, 10:42 AM
Also great point on whoever brought up Kuechly. Eagles getting Demeco was big for them and could end up being big for us. I don't see how Kuechly could fall all the way to 24 after the combine he put up but it is now at least a remote possibility.

Only thing I worry about is if Poe ends up going in the top 10 then KC could easily take Luke at 11. Seattle at 12 is another potential landing spot for him especially since they have addressed their D-line and QB needs through free agency.

But other than that...maybe Tennessee or San Diego?

brat316
03-27-2012, 10:45 AM
We already have a cover guy in Timmons. We would need a big inside thumper, and usually with the 3-4 and our zone defense we can mask their inability to cover.

DeeboHarrison
03-27-2012, 11:37 AM
We already have a cover guy in Timmons. We would need a big inside thumper, and usually with the 3-4 and our zone defense we can mask their inability to cover.

So if both are available you would take Hightower over Kuechly??

K Train
03-27-2012, 02:08 PM
i dont think kuechly is a good fit on paper, but hed probably be a star

DeeboHarrison
03-27-2012, 02:55 PM
As far as size goes he's just as big as Farrior (6-3, 243) is my whole deal. Plus he was much more productive on the collegiate level and didn't have the benefit of top dlinemen playing in front of him.

Hines
03-27-2012, 02:58 PM
Outside of the Pitt guys, the Steelers had T.Y Hilton, Mike Adams, and Derek Wolfe visit the facility. IIRC, most, if not all, the guys who visited last year were drafted by us.

Smooth Criminal
03-29-2012, 09:29 AM
Outside of the Pitt guys, the Steelers had T.Y Hilton, Mike Adams, and Derek Wolfe visit the facility. IIRC, most, if not all, the guys who visited last year were drafted by us.

Teams are allowed to have around 30 visits iirc so we certainly didn't draft everyone we had in for a visit.

And as an OSU fan, I want absolutely no parts of Mike Adams.

K Train
03-29-2012, 09:32 AM
he meant we drafted only guys that visited, which is usually the case with us

steelersrock151
03-29-2012, 11:52 AM
Don't know about that. I looked at last years visitees and only three of our draftees were on the list (curtis brown, cortez allen, marcus gilbert). Two UDFAs cane off visits also.

K Train
03-29-2012, 12:03 PM
Don't know about that. I looked at last years visitees and only three of our draftees were on the list (curtis brown, cortez allen, marcus gilbert). Two UDFAs cane off visits also.

im wasnt exactly sure, you could bet on that **** during cowhers tenure though i believe. its possible that they had a streak going of first rounders always coming in for a visit, not totally sure

mikehop05
03-29-2012, 01:27 PM
anyone else get the feeling the steelers are gonna go complete wild card on us in the first round like when they got mendy?

Hines
03-29-2012, 01:40 PM

Cam and Batch also visited IIRC.

K Train
03-29-2012, 01:46 PM
anyone else get the feeling the steelers are gonna go complete wild card on us in the first round like when they got mendy?

i dont think mendenhall was a complete wildcard, no one really expected him to be there...its not like they were planning on taking chris johnson or felix jones there if mendenhall wasnt on the board

wildcard would have been evander hood, that **** blew me away and im still kind stunned in disappointment over the pick at the time and his mediocrity on the field

Hines
03-29-2012, 01:50 PM
i dont think mendenhall was a complete wildcard, no one really expected him to be there...its not like they were planning on taking chris johnson or felix jones there if mendenhall wasnt on the board

wildcard would have been evander hood, that **** blew me away and im still kind stunned in disappointment over the pick at the time and his mediocrity on the field

I fully believe that Mike Jenkins would be a Steeler if Mendenhall wasn't there. I'm glad that Mendenhall was because Jenkins is purely meh at this point.

Hines
03-29-2012, 01:55 PM
As regarding the visits, here are the players who visited.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/03/steelers-2011-pre-draft-visits/

Gilbert, Cortez, Keith Williams, Saunders, Curtis, Mario Harvey, Anthony Gray, and Corbin Bryant were all brought in via the draft or free agency. 8 of the 30.

K Train
03-29-2012, 01:59 PM
I fully believe that Mike Jenkins would be a Steeler if Mendenhall wasn't there. I'm glad that Mendenhall was because Jenkins is purely meh at this point.

i loved branden albert and DRC that year.

mike jenkins could have been the pick, but kentwan balmer could have too....yikes

mikehop05
03-29-2012, 02:22 PM
just saw draft tek's mock, which is pretty unrealistic compared to some others... they use a computer generated system using averages and position need, etc. anyways, they had us taking luke kuechly.

made me happy.

DeeboHarrison
03-29-2012, 06:22 PM
Teams are allowed to have around 30 visits iirc so we certainly didn't draft everyone we had in for a visit.

And as an OSU fan, I want absolutely no parts of Mike Adams.

^ THIS!!!!!

Thanks Smooth Criminal...please see my monologue on how overrated Adams is I posted about a month ago on the 2011 thread. This is 2/2 (100% for those counting) that have watched him for 4 years and don't like what they see. That should say something

Acknowledge it or not we do have less top young talent than other teams on the lines and on D. Yes part of this is because we have had such good vets. But we can't afford to blow this pick and Adams would be blowing it imho.

Smooth Criminal
03-30-2012, 08:32 AM
Cowher almost always took people that visited, especially early. Under Tomlin we've seemed to wait and see who was available rather than targeting.

We were definitely at Heyward's Pro day at least, go to OSU's every year.

Smooth Criminal
03-30-2012, 08:34 AM
i loved branden albert and DRC that year.

mike jenkins could have been the pick, but kentwan balmer could have too....yikes

I wanted both Jenkins or Balmer over Mendy. And laughed at the Chris Johnson pick. Oops

Smooth Criminal
03-30-2012, 08:35 AM

iirc he was predicted to be the pick in Pittsburgh newspapers several days before. I remember leading up to the draft thinking we'd get him.

Hines
03-30-2012, 01:35 PM
Demetrius Bell is visiting today, which surprises me. I wouldn't mind him here if the price is right.

Also, Brandon Brooks is visiting. That's a kid I hope we draft with our second or even third round pick. Kid is an animal. Virginia OLB Cam Johnson is also expected to visit next week.

DeathbyStat
03-30-2012, 02:32 PM
Demetrius Bell is visiting today, which surprises me. I wouldn't mind him here if the price is right.

Also, Brandon Brooks is visiting. That's a kid I hope we draft with our second or even third round pick. Kid is an animal. Virginia OLB Cam Johnson is also expected to visit next week.

Bell for cheap could be a steal.

Big fan of Brooks, dude had the same work out numbers as Cordy Glenn and we could get him at a better value.

Cam Johnson kinda scares me, had little production in college.

TY Hilton on the fourth round would be great, he is so explosive

DeeboHarrison
03-30-2012, 02:47 PM
I am not pumped about the possibility of Bell simply because the last two guys Kugler has brought on from his days in Buffalo are Jon Scott and Jamon Meredith (puke).

But then I thought abotu it for two seconds and realized if we sign Bell it means we're def not drafting Mike Adams. BRING ON BELL NO MATTER THE COST!!!

K Train
03-30-2012, 02:58 PM
brandon brooks <3

DeeboHarrison
03-30-2012, 03:06 PM
It is a straight up Brandon Brooks love affair on this board. I personally think we need someone who can step in right away and would love to see Osemele there in the second round. Great pass blocker. What do you guys like about Brooks so much besides what you've heard about his workouts? I am not doubting anyone I just want to know more about this kid because its obvious we like him.

I have not seen a single snap on this kid and I hate when people claim to be experts because they watched highlight videos. *Especially highlight videos from the MAC*

Jakey
03-30-2012, 03:49 PM
Sign Bell...

Draft...

1: Dont'a Hightower - ILB
2: Brandon Brooks - RG
3: Brandon Washington - LG
4: Mike Martin - NT
5: Trenton Robinson - FS
6: T.Y Hilton - WR
7: Blair Walsh - K
7: Matt Conrath - DE
7: Joe Long - OT

Depth Chart:

QB: Ben Roethlisberger
QB: Byron Leftwich
QB: Troy Smith

RB: Rashard Mendenhall (PUP)
RB: Isaac Redman
RB: Jonathan Dwyer
RB: Baron Batch

WR: Mike Wallace
WR: Antonio Brown
WR: Emmanuel Snaders
WR: Jericho Cotchery
WR: T.Y Hilton

TE: Heath Miller
TE: Wesleye Saunders (susp.)
TE: ?

LT: Marcus Gilbert
LT: Demetrius Bell

LG: Brandon Washington
LG: Chris Scott

C: Maurkice Pouncey
C: Doug Legursky

RG: Brandon Brooks
RG: Ramon Foster

RT: Willie Colon
RT: Max Starks (re-sign when healthy)

RE: Brett Keisel
RE: Cam Heyward

NT: Casey Hampton (PUP)
NT: Steve McLendon
NT: Mike Martin

LE: Ziggy Hood
LE: Al Woods/Matt Conrath (?)

ROLB: James Harrison
ROLB: Jason Worilds

ILB: Lawrence Timmons
ILB: Dont'a Hightower
ILB: Larry Foote
ILB: Stevenson Sylvester

LOLB: LaMarr Woodley
LOLB: Chris Carter

CB: Ike Taylor
CB: Keenan Lewis
CB: Cortez Allen
CB: Curtis Brown

FS: Ryan Clark
FS: Trenton Robinson

SS: Troy Polamalu
SS: Ryan Mundy

K: Blair Walsh
P: Jeremy Kapinos

BOOM.

Pitt
03-30-2012, 06:59 PM
It is a straight up Brandon Brooks love affair on this board. I personally think we need someone who can step in right away and would love to see Osemele there in the second round. Great pass blocker. What do you guys like about Brooks so much besides what you've heard about his workouts? I am not doubting anyone I just want to know more about this kid because its obvious we like him.

I have not seen a single snap on this kid and I hate when people claim to be experts because they watched highlight videos. *Especially highlight videos from the MAC*

Strengths: Possesses a physically imposing frame with broad shoulders and a wide base ? big body with a strong, thickly built frame. Has good natural strength and raw power with the ability to be a mauler in the run game. Plays with a firm base with a stout anchor, holding his ground at the point of attack. Keeps his pad level low and flashes consistent leverage. Stays balanced and patient in his stance. Has overpowering upper body strength to overwhelm and eliminate defenders from the play ? jolts with his hands and shows a strong initial push. Quick off the snap and moves well for his size. Offers versatility with experience at left tackle and both guard spots. Has very good starting experience as a four-year starter (42 career starts) and was honored as a Second Team All-MAC performer three-years in a row (2009-11).

Weaknesses: Has some bad weight on his frame and has added over 60 pounds since he enrolled at Miami (OH) ? something that needs to be monitored. Carries a lot of weight and it shows at times, looking sluggish with heavy feet when trying to cover a lot of ground. Doesn?t have great range and wasn?t asked to do a lot of pulling for the Redhawks. Doesn?t always explode off the snap. Heavy-handed in pass protection with a bad habit of grabbing, which attracts holding penalties. Will allow his body to rise at times and he is caught too high. Needs to improve his awareness and overall vision to pick up extra rushers. Needs to stay disciplined and play smart, cutting down on the penalties and mental lapses. Has an inconsistent mean streak and needs to develop more of a finishing attitude ? too much of a passive blocker for his size.

NFL Comparison: Ramon Foster, Pittsburgh Steelers

Jakey
03-30-2012, 07:42 PM
Strengths: Possesses a physically imposing frame with broad shoulders and a wide base ? big body with a strong, thickly built frame. Has good natural strength and raw power with the ability to be a mauler in the run game. Plays with a firm base with a stout anchor, holding his ground at the point of attack. Keeps his pad level low and flashes consistent leverage. Stays balanced and patient in his stance. Has overpowering upper body strength to overwhelm and eliminate defenders from the play ? jolts with his hands and shows a strong initial push. Quick off the snap and moves well for his size. Offers versatility with experience at left tackle and both guard spots. Has very good starting experience as a four-year starter (42 career starts) and was honored as a Second Team All-MAC performer three-years in a row (2009-11).

Weaknesses: Has some bad weight on his frame and has added over 60 pounds since he enrolled at Miami (OH) ? something that needs to be monitored. Carries a lot of weight and it shows at times, looking sluggish with heavy feet when trying to cover a lot of ground. Doesn?t have great range and wasn?t asked to do a lot of pulling for the Redhawks. Doesn?t always explode off the snap. Heavy-handed in pass protection with a bad habit of grabbing, which attracts holding penalties. Will allow his body to rise at times and he is caught too high. Needs to improve his awareness and overall vision to pick up extra rushers. Needs to stay disciplined and play smart, cutting down on the penalties and mental lapses. Has an inconsistent mean streak and needs to develop more of a finishing attitude ? too much of a passive blocker for his size.

NFL Comparison: Ramon Foster, Pittsburgh Steelers

Brooks is 10x the prospect Ramon was. I like Ramon and he is a serviceable fill in/backup guard, but he doesnt have the potential Brooks does. Brooks is far more athletic, far more versatile and far stronger than Foster. And the negatives in that scouting report are well off...Brooks carries his weight extremely well for his size, i dont think it is an issue. And nastiness isnt really an issue either. I think the only question the Steelers would have is, if he is best suited to the RG position or LG position. LG is a bigger need, and a player like Zeitler would fit the bill perfectly, but he is unlikely to be available in the 2nd round, and Brooks is. If Brooks is there in the 2nd/3rd, you take him, and hope his athletic ability applies to the LG position...if not, you plug him in at RG and have him maul people all day long!

DeeboHarrison
04-02-2012, 09:24 AM
Ok. I can definitely get on board with Brooks if you guys are all about it. I have been following this board for a while and you guys generally know your stuff, whether I agree with you or not. I am as big a draftnik as anyone out there...just haven't seen any game tape on Brooks to make a decision on him personally and it's not like Miami OH games are readily available out there, hah.

DeeboHarrison
04-02-2012, 09:25 AM
Jakey -

IF we sign Bell it would be for a starting Tackle position and we would kick Colon inside. Doubt we draft 2 olinemen in the first two round if we sign a starting caliber one.

Jakey
04-02-2012, 10:24 AM
Jakey -

IF we sign Bell it would be for a starting Tackle position and we would kick Colon inside. Doubt we draft 2 olinemen in the first two round if we sign a starting caliber one.

Yeah i considered this. I think he's abit too light/finesse for a RT, so Gilbert would likely stay there and Bell would play LT.

Hines
04-02-2012, 11:16 AM
Toney Clemons is visiting. He's a kid to look at as a late round pick/UDFA. He is from the Pittsburgh area and has been at 2 colleges in his career. I think he's pretty underrated. He is big and fast and put up solid numbers in Boulder.

Jakey
04-02-2012, 11:55 AM
Toney Clemons is visiting. He's a kid to look at as a late round pick/UDFA. He is from the Pittsburgh area and has been at 2 colleges in his career. I think he's pretty underrated. He is big and fast and put up solid numbers in Boulder.

Good find!

Seems like a typical Steelers late-round pick. The kid looks interesting!

Jakey
04-02-2012, 01:02 PM
5y1vMglvFlE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y1vMglvFlE

Hines
04-02-2012, 02:10 PM
Jerrell Harris OLB/MLB Alabama and WVU CB Keith Tandy visited the Steelers today.

SCSteeler
04-03-2012, 01:16 AM
JAKEY,

Those Silatolu highlights are sick, I want that kid! Small school or not, he floored a ton of guys there.

CDub
04-03-2012, 12:05 PM
Pead visited today

Hines
04-03-2012, 01:10 PM
Pead visited today

I could legit see him being our 3rd round pick.

DeathbyStat
04-04-2012, 08:17 AM
I could legit see him being our 3rd round pick.

I like it....

K Train
04-04-2012, 08:19 AM
i love him in 3, but im fearful they will reach to get their guy in 2 which they have been known to do

pead kinda reminds me of lesean mccoy, thoughts?

DeeboHarrison
04-04-2012, 08:42 AM
i love him in 3, but im fearful they will reach to get their guy in 2 which they have been known to do

pead kinda reminds me of lesean mccoy, thoughts?

Now Pead is a guy that I have seen a lot of. Comparing him to Shady McCoy is a colossal stretch. Shady is capable of carrying the load for a team, Pead is a good change of pace runner/3rd down back. He's got solid speed but isn't quite the home-run threat Shady is.

If I had to compare Pead to someone currently in the NFL I would say he is a poor man's Felix Jones.

Hines
04-04-2012, 08:58 AM
I've seen Pead get compared to Jamal Charles.

K Train
04-04-2012, 10:51 AM
Now Pead is a guy that I have seen a lot of. Comparing him to Shady McCoy is a colossal stretch. Shady is capable of carrying the load for a team, Pead is a good change of pace runner/3rd down back. He's got solid speed but isn't quite the home-run threat Shady is.

If I had to compare Pead to someone currently in the NFL I would say he is a poor man's Felix Jones.

mccoy was hardly looked at as a carry the load type back...a far cry from that actually imo. im not saying pead is 2011 world beating lesean mccoy, but his instinctive running reminds me of the prospect mccoy

DeeboHarrison
04-04-2012, 11:38 AM
I've seen Pead get compared to Jamal Charles.

Link?

I'd like to find out who said this so I can not pay attention to anything they say in the future.

Jamaal Charles ran for over 1600 yards in the big 12 his JR season in college and played in a much better conference. Its not all about stats but I think people are overrating Pead in a RB class where there's just not a ton of speed. I would much rather have Lamar Miller in the second round or David Wilson in the first if we're going to take a RB in the first 3 rounds.

brat316
04-04-2012, 11:59 AM
mccoy was hardly looked at as a carry the load type back...a far cry from that actually imo. im not saying pead is 2011 world beating lesean mccoy, but his instinctive running reminds me of the prospect mccoy

IDK about that, right off the bat as a true freshman he carried the load, and then again the next year.

Pead only did it once.

DeeboHarrison
04-04-2012, 01:53 PM
^ Bhaarat --> 100% agreed. He was the MAN on Pitt's team from the second he stepped onto Pitt's campus.

Jakey
04-04-2012, 02:00 PM
Any Pitt kids tell me more about Lucas Nix? Thanks!

Hines
04-04-2012, 02:03 PM
Any Pitt kids tell me more about Lucas Nix? Thanks!

He can play three of the 5 OL positions and is pretty nasty. I'll say he goes on the third day, but wouldn't surprise me if he ends up in the second day.

Hines
04-04-2012, 02:04 PM
Link?

I'd like to find out who said this so I can not pay attention to anything they say in the future.

Jamaal Charles ran for over 1600 yards in the big 12 his JR season in college and played in a much better conference. Its not all about stats but I think people are overrating Pead in a RB class where there's just not a ton of speed. I would much rather have Lamar Miller in the second round or David Wilson in the first if we're going to take a RB in the first 3 rounds.

I forget where I saw it at, but I'm pretty sure I've seen it. I think he was talking about their skillset. I do agree, Charles is sooooooooooooo much better than Pead.

Hines
04-04-2012, 02:05 PM
Bobby Massie visited today. Wouldn't mind him in the second round.

Jakey
04-04-2012, 02:18 PM
He can play three of the 5 OL positions and is pretty nasty. I'll say he goes on the third day, but wouldn't surprise me if he ends up in the second day.

Would he be suitable for the LG spot? Can he pull/trap etc?

DeeboHarrison
04-04-2012, 04:46 PM
Interesting w/ Massie. I remember when he was supposed to step in immediately for Andre Smith at Bama and then he threw a curveball and chose to play for Ole Miss. He is a mauler and seems to have kept his weight issues in check through college.

I prefer Kelechi Osemele in the second round, the man is an absolute monster and potential Ngata-neutralizer, but if we could go Massie 2nd and get Brandon Washington in the third I would be VERY thrilled (assuming we already got some D help in rd 1).

Hines
04-04-2012, 11:45 PM
Would he be suitable for the LG spot? Can he pull/trap etc?

Here's NFL.com's evaluation:

STRENGTHS Nix is fast off the snap to get into a defensive tackle's face, and he displays the same speed when pulling around to get to linebackers. He keeps his feet moving when he engages and can drive defenders backwards. Nix is able to keep a steady balance and sustain on his blocks despite the wide base he falls back into when contact is initiated. He can handle strong defenders and is one of the strong anchor-type guards who can sit back and absorb a heavy rush without getting blown back. Nix has been a consistent and durable player inside for Pitt.

WEAKNESSES While he does possess good footwork, Nix has a tough time breaking down in space to fit on athletic linebackers once he reaches the second level. He has decent hands when working blocks, but stronger players can beat him. Nix relies on a sturdy base with much of his blocking and that could get him in trouble against more powerful players at the next level.

K Train
04-05-2012, 08:45 AM
IDK about that, right off the bat as a true freshman he carried the load, and then again the next year.

Pead only did it once.

^ Bhaarat --> 100% agreed. He was the MAN on Pitt's team from the second he stepped onto Pitt's campus.

i did not even realize how the backlash would be trying to compare anyone to a precious pitt player to pitt fans lol

again, running style and ability....dont get too offended by the comparison i know mccoy played a lot more at Pitt right off the bat, i know hes a top 5 ish RB in the league now....im not saying pead is that im saying pead runs a lot like him and has similar instincts. They are similar players even if the great lesean mccoy went to pitt lol

DeeboHarrison
04-05-2012, 04:17 PM
Lived in the Burgh for a while but not a Pitt fan at all. I am 100% in the corner of THE Ohio State University.

brat316
04-05-2012, 04:22 PM
If he would have just went to Temple he would have been the great.

CDub
04-07-2012, 10:05 AM
Ramon Foster signed his 1yr tender for $1.6 mil

Hines
04-09-2012, 01:54 PM
Mychal Kendricks is visiting today. Short, but very athletic and productive. Not sure he fits in a 34, though.

K Train
04-09-2012, 01:58 PM
on paper no, but he would be a tackling machine. hes real good in traffic. reminds me a little of sean weatherspoon in that regard

Hines
04-09-2012, 02:07 PM
on paper no, but he would be a tackling machine. hes real good in traffic. reminds me a little of sean weatherspoon in that regard

God I loved Spoon. I'm starting to think we will go OL first round. Massie(don't think he's worth it, but could rise), Martin, Reiff(rumors that he's falling), or Amini Silatolu.

I'd personally grab the tackle and kill two birds with one stone by moving Colon to guard.

DeeboHarrison
04-09-2012, 04:14 PM
I would love Martin but i do not think he will be there. Massie does seem like a bit of a reach at this point, but he probably is not going to fall to our second rounder...maybe we can trade down 8-10 spots and pick up another 3rd?

If we picked up Massie in the first (trade down) and Ta'Amu in the second (trade up) I would be pretty happy though.