PDA

View Full Version : Saints place franchise tag on Brees like a “very good” not “great” QB

Complex
03-01-2012, 07:38 PM
According to a report from Jason Cole of Yahoo Sports, Loomis thinks Brees is very good, but not great. And therefore Loomis thinks Brees’s new contract should be commensurate with what a very good quarterback, but not a great quarterback, gets paid.

Citing three league sources, Cole writes that Loomis made the distinction between Brees being “very good” and “great” in a recent discussion about the status of the soon-to-be free agent quarterback’s contract. When Loomis was asked why it was taking so long for the Saints and Brees to reach an agreement on a long-term contract extension, Loomis described Brees as “very good” when others called called him “great.”

According to the report, Brees and the Saints are about $5 million a year apart on a new contract. Which is apparently the difference between what a great quarterback makes and what a very good quarterback makes.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/01/report-saints-want-to-pay-brees-like-a-very-good-but-not-great-qb/

fenikz
03-01-2012, 07:42 PM
AZ will give you that extra 5 mil

Saints-Tigers
03-01-2012, 07:55 PM
He'll never be an MVP, and he's only 6' tall. I wouldn't go over 7-8 mill a year. Good job Loomis, if he doesn't take it, we have another 6' non MVP on the roster ready to step right in.

FUNBUNCHER
03-01-2012, 08:07 PM
This would be one of the most catastrophic personnel moves in league history if the Saints FO alienates Brees and he opts out after a year.

Talk about NO RESPECT.

How many SBs have the New Orleans Saints ever been to?? How many have they won??

Reminds me of the Jerry Jones/JImmy Johnson dust up that foreshadowed the end of the Cowboys' mini dynasty.

Ownership too often underestimates the contributions of its coaches and players in winning.

diabsoule
03-01-2012, 08:17 PM
He'll never be an MVP, and he's only 6' tall. I wouldn't go over 7-8 mill a year. Good job Loomis, if he doesn't take it, we have another 6' non MVP on the roster ready to step right in.

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110727182050/random-ness/images/6/6b/Not_Sure_if_Serious_meme.jpg

Complex
03-01-2012, 08:32 PM
He is not serious.

Da-Phins
03-01-2012, 08:36 PM
Good! Come to Miami, Brees. You know, the place where you were close to coming to if it wasnt for ******* Nick Saban and the doctors screwing around.

bigbuc
03-01-2012, 08:38 PM
This report can't be true... Loomis can't be that dumb, can he?

jrdrylie
03-01-2012, 08:40 PM
Brees should get more than Michael Vick because he is a VASTLY better quarterback. Vick got six years 100 million (16.6 million per year). Manning got 18 million. With those numbers in mind, I think Brees should get six years $110 million.

CJSchneider
03-01-2012, 08:43 PM
Loomis, if you F this up, I will hunt you down.

Raiderz4Life
03-01-2012, 08:48 PM
Wow....this can't be true. I will laugh my ass off at the Saints if they **** this up like that.

Taber21
03-01-2012, 08:48 PM
Brees breaks the single season passing record by 400 yards and he is not a "great" QB? Who is then?

Vikings4ever
03-01-2012, 08:50 PM
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/4316/15489486.jpg

dunagan15
03-01-2012, 08:52 PM
This is the best news Ive heard in a while. Gtfo of the NFC south Drew. I will not miss you 1 bit. In fact just go to the AFC. Thanks.

RaiderNation
03-01-2012, 09:01 PM
Saints must get a deal done this weekend with Brees if they want to keep Colston/Nicks around. Both are vital in this offense and whit them Brees play may be hurt. He needs to take a little less money so he can get he players around him to win. Big Ben and other big name QBs have restructured many times to help the cap situation, and Brees must give up a few Million a year to keep this contending team together.

fenikz
03-01-2012, 09:05 PM
That works if you have a long term contract but you cant ask Brees to take less than nothing

Taber21
03-01-2012, 09:07 PM
Saints must get a deal done this weekend with Brees if they want to keep Colston/Nicks around. Both are vital in this offense and whit them Brees play may be hurt. He needs to take a little less money so he can get he players around him to win. Big Ben and other big name QBs have restructured many times to help the cap situation, and Brees must give up a few Million a year to keep this contending team together.

Agree completely. Brees shouldn't be asking for 22m a year if he wants his teammates to stay and the Saints to remain a Super Bowl contender. I understand his agent would just be doing his job, trying to get the best deal possible, but you would think Brees would see the bigger picture as well.

NY+Giants=NYG
03-01-2012, 09:08 PM
Isn't this the same owner that wanted to move the team? I thought it was this owner.

You can't be cheap with Brees. If you are then, he should leave and go somewhere they will pay him. They should break the bank and make it rain. Brees deserves it.

Giantsfan1080
03-01-2012, 09:10 PM
Out of curiosity I would like to see Brees in another offense in a cold weather city.

Saints-Tigers
03-01-2012, 09:17 PM
Seriously, did Loomis actually say "he's not great" or is it just implied, since he said he's "very good"?

We're in the process of restructuring Will Smith and others supposedly, I can't see this not happening. Mickey Loomis and Sean Payton have an absolutely raging boner for Drew.

Yes NYG, Benson was DYING to move the team, and was forced to stay here, and after we were successful, and he realized he can make a fortune by actually going out and competing in free agency.... he wants to pretend that he's all about New Orleans. Fairweather fans have forgotten, but Tom Benson is still a snake to me.

FUNBUNCHER
03-01-2012, 09:20 PM

Their team owner should have made this argument instead of saying Brees isn't worth 'great QB' money.

Scotty D
03-01-2012, 09:23 PM
They are going to lose Tracy Porter as well.

fenikz
03-01-2012, 09:23 PM
Both Fitz and Warner have restructured thier deals to help the Cardinals but they got paid 1st

Really it's a win win for them, sign biggest contract in history then be a team player by restructuring for your team

Brees seems like the same type of person should of approached it the same way

Saints-Tigers
03-01-2012, 09:35 PM
Tracy Porter won't bother me at all. Robinson and Greer are both vastly superior as cover guys, and all 3 have been injured here and there, so it's whatever.

I think the talent in our secondary is very underrated, because of how weak our pass rush is.

Caddy
03-01-2012, 09:42 PM
Excellent news. Leave NO Drew!

NY+Giants=NYG
03-01-2012, 09:45 PM
Seriously, did Loomis actually say "he's not great" or is it just implied, since he said he's "very good"?

We're in the process of restructuring Will Smith and others supposedly, I can't see this not happening. Mickey Loomis and Sean Payton have an absolutely raging boner for Drew.

Yes NYG, Benson was DYING to move the team, and was forced to stay here, and after we were successful, and he realized he can make a fortune by actually going out and competing in free agency.... he wants to pretend that he's all about New Orleans. Fairweather fans have forgotten, but Tom Benson is still a snake to me.

Damn, I think I am getting your GM confused with your owner. Some reason I think Loomis was the owner. But yeah Benson was the guy I didn't like!

What's his stance on this? Pay Brees or quietly let the GM handle it, without having to take a public stance either way?

BigBlueNorwegian
03-01-2012, 09:51 PM
I'd be pretty pissed if i were Brees. I mean what more could he possibly do to show that he is one of the greatest players in the league both on and off the field? If anyone deserves to get paid it's Brees, but they are seriously going to try to pass off calling him a "very good QB"? Come on. That ain't right.

You pay Brees whatever he wants, and deal with your other problems later. The guy practically saved this team.

vidae
03-01-2012, 10:49 PM
Out of curiosity I would like to see Brees in another offense in a cold weather city.

You mean somewhere like, say, Kansas City?

gpngc
03-01-2012, 10:51 PM
This is one of the most obvious agent-planted reports I've ever seen.

It's a negotiating ploy. Nothing more, nothing less. The fact that we have a thread about it is playing right into the agents hands....

Iamcanadian
03-01-2012, 11:00 PM
Brees isn't going anywhere but I've heard that Colston won't be back.

Ness
03-01-2012, 11:01 PM
Isn't this the same owner that wanted to move the team? I thought it was this owner.

You can't be cheap with Brees. If you are then, he should leave and go somewhere they will pay him. They should break the bank and make it rain. Brees deserves it.

Tom Benson is the owner. Not Mickey Loomis.

vidae
03-01-2012, 11:03 PM
This is one of the most obvious agent-planted reports I've ever seen.

It's a negotiating ploy. Nothing more, nothing less. The fact that we have a thread about it is playing right into the agents hands....

Drew! Drew, it's your agent. Yeah. The guys at NFLDC made the post. Now we're in the drivers seat!

Ness
03-01-2012, 11:08 PM
I think this is just smoke and mirrors. Brees and the Saints organization will get something worked out. The situation might not even be as bad as it's being made out to be in the media. There is still plenty of time to get a deal done.

gpngc
03-01-2012, 11:17 PM
Drew! Drew, it's your agent. Yeah. The guys at NFLDC made the post. Now we're in the drivers seat!

I know you are being funny, but I hope you realize what I meant. The Saints being portrayed in the media as unwilling to pay him what they deem "GREAT QB $" is what the Brees camp wants. I don't mean NFLDC specifically. Ass.

OzTitan
03-02-2012, 12:13 AM
Had he won the Superbowl this year instead of when he did, I think NO have no qualms paying him what he wants.

Which is silly, because I think he's obviously just as good if not better than he was then, it's just if you take a Superbowl winning team in any given year, they won't win it or even make it all the time.

Vox Populi
03-02-2012, 06:28 AM
Taking a home town discount is pretty much ******** for Brees. The Saints aren't the only team in the league that he can win games with. If he hits the open market he can actually get paid what he is worth and still go to a team that would be as capable of winning games as the Saints. Its not like the entire Saints roster is that great to begin with, and I'd argue that if he wound up on a team like the Seahawks or Bengals, his production might go down, but he'd still be going to the playoffs every year.

Also, wouldn't it actually be cheaper to pay Brees the franchise tag number for this year instead of signing him to a long-term contract? I know that isn't ideal, but I'd have to assume the average of the top 5 salaries is less than what Brees is worth on a new 2012 contract.

Either way though, I hope he stays in New Orleans because they're the only team in that division that is worth a damn as long as he is on the roster. The Falcons still have to add a pass rush of some sort before I'm ready to take them seriously in the playoffs.

Th30ry
03-02-2012, 08:52 AM
Brees breaks the single season passing record by 400 yards and he is not a "great" QB? Who is then?

Only problem with this is it was a target by the team to get that record, they were throwing late into blowouts (not saying they're the only team that does this) but it taints the record for me.

Now with that being said I do think Brees is a great QB, but not because of some inflated passing record.

FlyingElvis
03-02-2012, 09:20 AM
PFT quoting Yahoo! Sports . . .

The credibility rating there should be about as high as quoting me when I say I heard it from a talking dog.

descendency
03-02-2012, 09:38 AM
They have to pay Brees, but part of me wonders if he's really an elite QB or more of a Kurt Warner.

A Perfect Score
03-02-2012, 10:20 AM
They have to pay Brees, but part of me wonders if he's really an elite QB or more of a Kurt Warner.

There is no part of me that questions the fact that Warner was, at least for a time, an elite QB worthy of an elite salary. I'm not sure what you were trying to imply, but Warner has some of the most dominant stretches of QB play I can remember. Dude gets hated on around these parts.

I don't know what NFL some people were watching this year, but I watched 6 or 7 saints games and Drew Brees was playing the QB position as effectively as anyone in the NFL. Yes, even Rodgers, but that isn't the debate. I'm pretty sure Brees is a unanimous Top 3 QB, I'm not sure what's more elite then that.

zachsaints52
03-02-2012, 10:29 AM
Agree completely. Brees shouldn't be asking for 22m a year if he wants his teammates to stay and the Saints to remain a Super Bowl contender. I understand his agent would just be doing his job, trying to get the best deal possible, but you would think Brees would see the bigger picture as well.

Yeah, if he asks for 22 mil I highly doubt we would be able to keep anyone. Matter of fact, we would have to get rid of some people to get to 22 mil.

I remember this, trying to move to OKC. Stupid owner. I hate him dancing with the umbrella :(

They are going to lose Tracy Porter as well.

You act like that is a terrible thing.

Splat
03-02-2012, 10:36 AM
He isn't going any where. In the end Saints will pay him.

Saints-Tigers
03-02-2012, 10:53 AM

Lmao! Kurt Warner was atrocious unless he had hall of fame caliber receivers and pro bowlers lined up on both sides. Brees threw for 5000 yards with Marques Colston barely playing, and Lance Moore being his top wideout.

SuperPacker
03-02-2012, 10:55 AM
This is disgusting! I hope Brees leaves and spanks the Saints asses next year. He shouldnt stand for this ********!

scottyboy
03-02-2012, 10:56 AM
yeah but guys...Drew Brees is short

SuperPacker
03-02-2012, 10:58 AM
yeah but guys...Drew Brees is short

Yeah suppose. Anyone QB under 6'0 doesnt deserve to get paid big no matter how good he is.

Saints-Tigers
03-02-2012, 11:00 AM
Drew Brees is proof that every single college guy that is around 6' can be a supahstar!!

SuperPacker
03-02-2012, 11:00 AM
Yeah, if he asks for 22 mil I highly doubt we would be able to keep anyone. Matter of fact, we would have to get rid of some people to get to 22 mil.

Yeah this is true. If i were Drew Brees i'd be accepting 10mill and demanding we sign Vincent Jackson with the leftover money.

SuperPacker
03-02-2012, 11:01 AM
Drew Brees is proof that every single college guy that is around 6' can be a supahstar!!

This is the thing i hate most. You get a 6'0 college quarterback and suddenly he's the next Drew Brees. Its like people dont realsise out of 20 million 6 foot or under quarterbacks, Drew Brees is the only good one.

Complex
03-02-2012, 11:11 AM
Yeah this is true. If i were Drew Brees i'd be accepting 10mill and demanding we sign Vincent Jackson with the leftover money.

So if you were Drew Brees you would be okay with being paid like the 25th highest paid?

SuperPacker
03-02-2012, 11:16 AM
So if you were Drew Brees you would be okay with being paid like the 25th highest paid?

He'd be getting paid more than Aaron Rodgers.

And yeah, i THINK (obviously i dont know cus i've never been in a situation like that) i'd care more about winning multiple superbowls over being able to buy a 10 million dollar house or a 25 million dollar house.

What does an extra 10 million give you? A superbowl win is much more precious IMO.

descendency
03-02-2012, 11:29 AM
There is no part of me that questions the fact that Warner was, at least for a time, an elite QB worthy of an elite salary. I'm not sure what you were trying to imply, but Warner has some of the most dominant stretches of QB play I can remember. Dude gets hated on around these parts.

I don't know what NFL some people were watching this year, but I watched 6 or 7 saints games and Drew Brees was playing the QB position as effectively as anyone in the NFL. Yes, even Rodgers, but that isn't the debate. I'm pretty sure Brees is a unanimous Top 3 QB, I'm not sure what's more elite then that.

I'm not hating on either. I'm simply calling them dome QBs.

Trogdor
03-02-2012, 11:30 AM
Brees is seeking a contract that averages $23 million per season for the first three years of his deal, sources told Schefter. That's the same amount Peyton Manning's contract averages the first three season.

Pay-day > NFL affiliated jewelry it seems. Supposedly the Saints are at the 18mil/yr so that's an awful big gap.

SuperPacker
03-02-2012, 11:30 AM
Pay-day > NFL affiliated jewelry it seems. Supposedly the Saints are at the 18mil/yr so that's an awful big gap.

As Deion would say, PAY THE MAN!!!

SenorGato
03-02-2012, 11:49 AM
He needs to come to NJ.

bigbluedefense
03-02-2012, 12:19 PM
He'd be getting paid more than Aaron Rodgers.

And yeah, i THINK (obviously i dont know cus i've never been in a situation like that) i'd care more about winning multiple superbowls over being able to buy a 10 million dollar house or a 25 million dollar house.

What does an extra 10 million give you? A superbowl win is much more precious IMO.

You're thinking like a fan.

10 million dollars is worth a 9.9 million dollars more than a Super Bowl ring. You take the 10 million over a SB ring every day of the week.

CJSchneider
03-02-2012, 12:24 PM

10 million dollars is worth a 9.9 million dollars more than a Super Bowl ring. You take the 10 million over a SB ring every day of the week.

You are thinking like an individual.

FlyingElvis
03-02-2012, 12:25 PM

Yup, and that doesn't even account for the fact that these guys all have pretty serious egos. When you're one of the best in the business you want to be paid as such, plain and simple.

bigbluedefense
03-02-2012, 12:26 PM
You are thinking like an individual.

Which is what all these athletes are. We are guilty as fans of putting them on a different pedestal, but they're no different than you and me.

The stakes are just higher, that's all.

mqtirishfan
03-02-2012, 11:42 PM
I really want to see what it takes to be a "great" QB.

Ngatachance92
03-02-2012, 11:57 PM
The reason the Saints have been in contention for a Superbowl the last few years is because of Drew Brees and he should be paid accordingly. Drew Brees' agent should announce a figure and the next thing that should come out of the GM's mouth is where do we park the truck?

Take a discount? For what? Consistently being one of the Top 3 QB's year in and year out? This is a game but it is also a business and if they can't afford his services then he will move on and whatever team he goes to will instantly be a playoff team while the Saints fade back into mediocrity.

49erNation85
03-03-2012, 01:06 AM
I really want to see what it takes to be a "great" QB.

You have to be like Tebow and winzzzz play off games and win the fans over with all your football magic winning ways. ....

diabsoule
03-03-2012, 10:26 AM
I can understand why the contract negotiations aren't being completed as quickly as Saints fans would like. I can see Brees' side of the argument ("I just broke "x" amount of records that stood forever, won a Super Bowl, one of the elites in the NFL") and I can see Loomis' stance ("you're 33").

Since freeing up $5 million by restructuring Will Smith's contact I think the Saints will now be more comfortable offering $24 million a year over the $20-21 they were offering before. I'm confident a deal will get done and the Saints won't have to tag him.

Brees has to be aware that if the Saints tag him then that severely limits their ability to re-sign Carl Nicks, his best bodyguard, and Marques Colston, one of his favorite weapons. What's more important: making an extra $1-2 million a year or seeing your best offensive lineman leave through free agency?

In the Saints system I see receivers being interchangeable. There's a reason why Lance Moore was still effectively dangerous in 2008 when Colston was out most of the year. I'm confident in the scouting department's ability to find receivers that will fit effortlessly into the Saints passing game. That's why I see Colston being more expendable than Nicks. Hell, if NOLA drafted Ladarius Green this year they could run more two TE sets like the Patriots ran this year with him and Graham.

Brees needs to get paid but also not to the detriment of the organization by limiting their ability to re-sign more of their own free agents, especially those that have helped make Brees successful.

SuperPacker
03-03-2012, 10:28 AM

I like to think i would be different though. As is said i don't know cus i've never been in that situation.

NY+Giants=NYG
03-03-2012, 01:51 PM
Brees needs to get paid but also not to the detriment of the organization by limiting their ability to re-sign more of their own free agents, especially those that have helped make Brees successful.

That's why it's an interesting situation. This guy pretty much made that franchise relevant. He has his ring, and records, now it's time for him to get paid. If the Saints don't pay him, which is an option, then perhaps sign or draft a new QB, and hope the Dome and system can make that guy just as productive. It's a risk, and yeah signing Brees may mean not being able to sign the other guys. But that's where you hope you can develop guys, and draft good prospects who can fit that system. You are hoping that works out and guys can be developed by your coaches.

Overall, it's an interesting situation, but he has his ring, stats, and now the Saints need to pay the man what he is worth.

diabsoule
03-03-2012, 02:42 PM
https://twitter.com/#!/JayGlazer/status/176043156381515776

The Saints have tagged Brees according to Jay Glazer

AntoinCD
03-03-2012, 02:43 PM
Jay Glazer reporting he got franchised. Bye bye Carl Nicks?

NY+Giants=NYG
03-03-2012, 02:46 PM
Can he hold out if he wanted to?

diabsoule
03-03-2012, 03:06 PM
Can he hold out if he wanted to?

He can but I doubt he will.

The QB franchise amount is $14.4 mil for this year which is $2 mil less than last year and considerably less than what Brees wanted a year. The Saints should be able to at least re-sign one of Colston or Nicks.

I'm being optimistic when I say this but if they release Jon Vilma they could POSSIBLY be able to re-sign both. I could see Vilma released regardless so that Colston could walk and the Saints re-sign Meachem

vidae
03-03-2012, 03:15 PM
Nicks, come play in KC! We'll treat you better! And no bounty system on our team!

D-Unit
03-03-2012, 03:37 PM

The QB franchise amount is $14.4 mil for this year which is $2 mil less than last year and considerably less than what Brees wanted a year. The Saints should be able to at least re-sign one of Colston or Nicks.

I'm being optimistic when I say this but if they release Jon Vilma they could POSSIBLY be able to re-sign both. I could see Vilma released regardless so that Colston could walk and the Saints re-sign Meachem
How much cap space will the Saints have after franchising Brees?

Nicks is going to the highest bidder. Saints gonna be that team?

WCH
03-03-2012, 05:44 PM

My current guess is that they'll have a new GM in a couple of weeks, and he'll give Brees considerably more than $14.4 mil, and probably something close to what he wanted per year.

SchizophrenicBatman
03-03-2012, 05:54 PM
Did the new CBA change the franchise rule at all? If I'm the Saints I tag him next year too, possibly even a third year. Then he's what, 36? At that point you can probably move on, although let me reconsider...YOU'RE THE SAINTS, NOT THE ****ING GREEN BAY PACKERS, PAY THE MAN

Sloopy
03-03-2012, 06:03 PM
Did the new CBA change the franchise rule at all? If I'm the Saints I tag him next year too, possibly even a third year. Then he's what, 36? At that point you can probably move on, although let me reconsider...YOU'RE THE SAINTS, NOT THE ****ING GREEN BAY PACKERS, PAY THE MAN

Franchising a player every year may seem like a good idea, especially in this case where it saves them almost 10 mil, but I think it would hurt you significantly in the long run.

You might never recover in the eyes of future FAs.

FUNBUNCHER
03-03-2012, 06:07 PM
5 years, $90 mil, $ 40 mil guaranteed.

Easy. I just signed Drew Brees.
Is the Saints GM that clueless??

falloutboy14
03-03-2012, 06:22 PM
If I were Brees, I'd be very tempted to hold out. 14.4 is chump-change compared to his worth.

Sloopy
03-03-2012, 08:55 PM
5 years, $90 mil, $ 40 mil guaranteed.

Easy. I just signed Drew Brees.
Is the Saints GM that clueless??

Do you think that Brees is still going to be worth that chunk of a change until he is 38?

diabsoule
03-03-2012, 09:13 PM
For the exclusive rights tag the Saints placed on Brees it's $15.4 mil, one mil more than just the franchise tag.

They should have enough to give Nicks a deal similar to the one they gave Jahri Evans with that money they saved by franchising Brees. After the Nicks deal they can then come back and either address Colston or Brees or both.

Like I've been saying too, they'll save even more by releasing Vilma which I think is coming. They could then either target JoLonn Dunbar in FA or try to draft one to start immediately. They'll have to be frugal for FA's after signing their superstars but that is something the Saints are used to doing.

boknows34
03-04-2012, 09:35 AM

If Brees plays to his approx $15.5m tag in 2012 and is then franchised again in 2013, he'll get 120% of his 2012 salary - which is the same as the old CBA. Where the CBA rules changed from the old system is that if a player is franchised for a 3rd time he would get 144% of his previous year's salary (instead of staying at 120%). So by 2014 that would pay Brees approx $27m. Overall it works out at roughly $61/62m over 3 years if the Saints tag Brees for the next 3 seasons.

NY+Giants=NYG
03-04-2012, 12:12 PM
Do you think that Brees is still going to be worth that chunk of a change until he is 38?

You can front load the contract and over pay early on, but during the life of the contract it helps the franchise. That's we do our contracts for our DEs. We did that with Strahan, and with Osi.

Crazy_Chris
03-05-2012, 04:52 PM
Drew Brees is "livid" about being franchise tagged and not receiving a long-term contract, according to WIST-AM in New Orleans. The radio station cites sources in the Brees camp that he will not sign the franchise tag deal. Brees and the Saints have until July 15 to hammer out a long-term deal. If a deal isn't struck, Brees must sign the franchise tag deal or hold out.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/post/17605176

San Diego Chicken
03-05-2012, 05:19 PM
Is this backlash from the lockout last year? That's the only reason I can think of for not wanting to extend Brees. He was already tagged once before with the Chargers and he feels this is his last chance to really break the bank. He's healthy and playing at peak level, what's the problem? I don't get treating the face of your franchise like this. Brees will still be making the New Orleans Saints money long after he's retired.

Bulldogs
03-05-2012, 05:41 PM
edit: Wrong thread.

descendency
03-05-2012, 05:47 PM
If I were Brees, I'd be very tempted to hold out. 14.4 is chump-change compared to his worth.

He can't hold out. He was part of the players' team that championed the CBA that allows him to be tagged. It would look bad.

WCH
03-05-2012, 09:12 PM

QBs typically play until they're ~36-38, and contracts are likely to boom in two years; so yeah, quite possibly. If not, you plan ahead and sign him to a trade-friendly contract, so that you can trade him to the highest bidder who thinks that they're only a past-his-prime QB away from the SB.