PDA

View Full Version : How is Marcus Allen in the HOF?

bigbuc
03-02-2012, 12:39 AM
Was just watching the NFL network 100 greatest of all time and Marcus Allen came up. I know he had one of the greatest SB runs of all time ( Skins fans don't hate me, but that run was amazing ) But look at his numbers, yeah they look good from afar but when you look at season by season they guy had only three 1000 yard seasons. Only pounded the rock over 300 times once. It's crazy to me.

doingthisinsteadofwork
03-02-2012, 12:43 AM
His stats are misleading. Al hated him and had him sitting on the bench alot.

CDCB14
03-02-2012, 12:44 AM
A better question is how is Lynn Swan in the hall of fame? At least Marcus Allen did something. Lynn Swan didn't do **** besides a few good games in the super bowls. He was garbage lol. Look at his stats.

It's a shame how much people over value super bowl performances and forget everything else, especially when it's at a position that isn't QB.

Steady Lurkin
03-02-2012, 12:45 AM
Le sigh....

RaiderNation
03-02-2012, 12:45 AM
Reasons:

- Broke all time rushing TD's record(was 123) and end up with a total of 145 TD's
-First player ever to reach 10,000 rushing yards and 5,000 yards during his career
-1 SuperBowl MVP and Regular Season MVP(1985)
-6 time Pro Bowler
-Heisman Trophy Winner from All Time great football program(USC)

/thread

Complex
03-02-2012, 12:46 AM
How is Larry Csonka in the HOF or Joe Namath or those 2 steeler WRs.

Steady Lurkin
03-02-2012, 12:49 AM
A better question is how is Lynn Swan in the hall of fame? At least Marcus Allen did something. Lynn Swan didn't do **** besides a few good games in the super bowls. He was garbage lol. Look at his stats.

It's a shame how much people over value super bowl performances and forget everything else, especially when it's at a position that isn't QB.

Other than Cliff Branch, what receiver from that era deserves to be in over him?

People really don't understand how underwhelming passing/receiving numbers were in the 1970s.

Steady Lurkin
03-02-2012, 12:50 AM
I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

bigbuc
03-02-2012, 12:54 AM
Reasons:

- Broke all time rushing TD's record(was 123) and end up with a total of 145 TD's
-First player ever to reach 10,000 rushing yards and 5,000 yards during his career
-1 SuperBowl MVP and Regular Season MVP(1985)
-6 time Pro Bowler
-Heisman Trophy Winner from All Time great football program(USC)

/thread

That's why I'm trying to say.... How did the guy make 6 pro bowls with only having three 1000 yard rushing seasons?

bigbuc
03-02-2012, 12:59 AM
I know he was a monster when he first came into the league. But it seems after year 5 he became a goal line/ short yard guy.

Complex
03-02-2012, 01:00 AM
That's why I'm trying to say.... How did the guy make 6 pro bowls with only having three 1000 yard rushing seasons?

Larry Csonka had 5 probowls and 3 1000 yard rushing seasons. His best season is 1117 yards and 6 TDs.

niel89
03-02-2012, 01:00 AM
It was a different time for these guys. The offensive stats aren't directly translatable. He also split carries with Bo Jackson in 4 of those years too.

Fun Fact: Marcus Allen never played a down for the Oakland Raiders.

WCH
03-02-2012, 01:14 AM
He also split carries with Bo Jackson in 4 of those years too.

This is a pretty important point. Bo Jackson would probably be in the running for "GOAT" status if he had focused on football and stayed healthy. He was the first player with multiple 90-yard runs in his career, he had runs of greater than 88 yards in three of his four seasons, he rushed for 950 yards in 9 games back in 89, and he averaged 6.8 yards per carry as a "rookie" in 1987.

Bo Jackson is still the person that every elite size/speed RB is compared to.

JHL6719
03-02-2012, 01:28 AM
Csonka was a tank. Only dude I've ever heard of get flagged for unnecessary roughness just for totin' the rock.

Vox Populi
03-02-2012, 06:07 AM
Csonka was a tank. Only dude I've ever heard of get flagged for unnecessary roughness just for totin' the rock.

Mike Alstott would have made a fool of Csonka

FUNBUNCHER
03-02-2012, 09:00 AM
Marcus Allen was the one player who changed the profile for what a complete NFL RB was supposed to be able to do; RUN and CATCH the football effectively out of the backfield(with all due respect to Roger Craig).

No one used to care if your starting RB couldn't catch, now it's a big negative if a RB prospect has stone hands.

I HATE Marcus Allen!:)

He made me cry as a child when I didn't exactly know what was going on during a football game. When he cut back against the ENTIRE Skins D in the SB and scored that 75 yard TD I knew enough to know the game was over.

But I never questioned his HOF resume.

145 TDs is a damn impressive stat for a RB. Only Rice/Emmitt Smith/Ladainian TOmlinson/Terrell Owens and Randy Moss have more career TDs than Marcus Allen.

Whenever he had over 250 touches in a season, Allen topped over 1000 yards rushing. There's truth to the opinion that Al Davis had a weird love/hate thing with Marcus and had input into how he was played during games.

If Marcus Allen was ever given the ball 300+ times in multiple seasons, he'd probably have the alltime rushing record.

Shane P. Hallam
03-02-2012, 09:32 AM
Dude, why is Sammy Baugh in the HOF? His numbers blow.

DoughBoy
03-02-2012, 02:24 PM
How is Larry Csonka in the HOF or Joe Namath or those 2 steeler WRs.

You cant tell the story of the NFL and not include Joe Namath in it. I dont think anyone can argue against that.

21ST
03-02-2012, 04:33 PM
Dude, why is Sammy Baugh in the HOF? His numbers blow.

only qb to throw 4 tds and catch 4 ints in the same game

Steady Lurkin
03-02-2012, 04:35 PM
only qb to throw 4 tds and catch 4 ints in the same game

YOU?! dsfsadfsdfsadf

Brodeur
03-02-2012, 04:43 PM
Other than Cliff Branch, what receiver from that era deserves to be in over him?

People really don't understand how underwhelming passing/receiving numbers were in the 1970s.

He barely averaged 2 catches a damn game, come on now. You can't honestly believe Swann deserves to be in. He was also in the top ten for receiving yards in a season three times (that's it), and in the top five once while in the top ten of receiving TDs three times. It's like if Anquan Boldin retired right now, and got in the hall of fame.

Complex
03-02-2012, 04:53 PM
He barely averaged 2 catches a damn game, come on now. You can't honestly believe Swann deserves to be in. He was also in the top ten for receiving yards in a season three times (that's it), and in the top five once while in the top ten of receiving TDs three times. It's like if Anquan Boldin retired right now, and got in the hall of fame.

Boldin was actually a good WR.

Steady Lurkin
03-02-2012, 05:05 PM

Again, other than Cliff Branch, what WR from that era deserves to be in that is not? A better question is why is Biletnikoff in the HoF? Because of his college career?

Same question stands for Terry Bradshaw and Stalber. If the Raiders win more of those matchups vs Pittsburgh, Stabler and Branch are in as opposed to Bradshaw and Swann.

The HoF voters think performance in important games matters. :shrug:

Brodeur
03-02-2012, 05:10 PM
Again, other than Cliff Branch, what WR from that era deserves to be in that is not? A better question is why is Biletnikoff in the HoF? Because of his college career?

Same question stands for Terry Bradshaw and Stalber. If the Raiders win more of those matchups vs Pittsburgh, Stabler and Branch are in as opposed to Bradshaw and Swann.

Harold Carmichael. And putting a guy in because the rest of the position is weak at the time is rather dumb.

Complex
03-02-2012, 05:15 PM

Deion Branch going to the HOF?

Steady Lurkin
03-02-2012, 05:16 PM
Harold Carmichael. And putting a guy in because the rest of the position is weak at the time is rather dumb.

It gets held against him that he was on really bad Eagle teams for most of his prime. Unfortunate, yes, but he's still recognized as an All-Decade member for the 1970s.

Steady Lurkin
03-02-2012, 05:20 PM
Deion Branch going to the HOF?

No, and neither is Dexter Jackson. They had one big game, ever.

Has either of those guys ever even made a Pro Bowl or All Pro team?

Iamcanadian
03-09-2012, 11:52 AM
His stats are misleading. Al hated him and had him sitting on the bench alot.

People forget this fact, that in his prime, Al Davis wouldn't play him because he hated him.