PDA

View Full Version : Perrish Cox not guilty in sexual assault case

Jimmy
03-02-2012, 12:59 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_20088034

Former Denver Broncos cornerback Perrish Cox has been found not-guilty on two counts of sexual assault of a victim unable to assess her condition.

The jury deliberated for four hours on Thursday and just over two hours today.

As the verdict was read Douglas County District Court Cox hugged his defense attorney Harvey Steinberg.

Had he been convicted, Cox would have faced two years to life in prison.

The woman became pregnant and Cox's DNA was found in the fetal tissue. A test determined the woman became pregnant at about the time of the alleged attack.

The accuser told police that she believed she was sexually assaulted by Cox after she passed out on an air mattress in his apartment.

Prosecutors had laid out what they believed was a straightforward case. They cited the DNA evidence, as well as testimony from Cox's teammate, Demaryius Thomas, who said he saw Cox carry her onto his bed and say, "she's ready."

Beyond the DNA, prosecutors had little direct evidence linking Cox to the alleged sexual assault.

http://ragefac.es/faces/3fa9aa4e19889110c01bae7601d70e25.png

bigbluedefense
03-02-2012, 12:59 PM
Awful. Absolutely awful. He's a scumbag that belongs in jail.

Jimmy
03-02-2012, 01:00 PM
Awful. Absolutely awful. He's a scumbag that belongs in jail.

Sad that when Denver went on the clock round 4 the year he was drafted, I avidly called for his draft selection, and it came true. Diehard was too right...

PLEASE denver take perrish cox. please. rd 4 we HAVE to take him. 04-24-2010, 12:11 PM

Nice call, bro. Good value.

Doesn't quite fit the mould in terms of character, but I assume whatever the underlying issues were didn't bother McD too much. We've got pretty strong leadership in the secondary, which will help as well.

vidae
03-02-2012, 01:00 PM
I hate life sometimes.

bigbluedefense
03-02-2012, 01:03 PM
What more evidence do you need? Video tape of him doing it? This was such a black and white case, the prosecution didn't need anymore evidence. ALL THE EVIDENCE IS GROWING IN HER BELLY.

WTF IS WRONG WITH PPL? How can he be innocent? What a joke.

Jimmy
03-02-2012, 01:06 PM
What more evidence do you need? Video tape of him doing it? This was such a black and white case, the prosecution didn't need anymore evidence. ALL THE EVIDENCE IS GROWING IN HER BELLY.

WTF IS WRONG WITH PPL? How can he be innocent? What a joke.

It's not a question of if he had sex with her, but if it meets the criteria for sexual assault. American legal system.

http://chzmemebase.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/memes-redneck-randal-the-only-alphabet-youll-ever-need.jpg

ATLDirtyBirds
03-02-2012, 01:06 PM
I really liked him coming out of the draft. Whoops.

Damix
03-02-2012, 01:08 PM
If this case is so black and white but he wasn't found guilty then we probably don't know all the facts.

bigbluedefense
03-02-2012, 01:08 PM
If it was consensual sex, he would have said so. He wouldn't say "i didn't even sleep with her"

This turd is guilty as sin. And no he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt. He was a turd before this incident, and this just made him a bigger turd.

Hopefully karma gets him. Bc clearly the legal system didn't. But idiots like him will eventually mess up again, and he won't get away again.

bigbluedefense
03-02-2012, 01:12 PM
If this case is so black and white but he wasn't found guilty then we probably don't know all the facts.

The only argument he can make is that it was consensual sex. When your own teammate who was there doesn't back you up, saying that you told him "she's ready" when she was passed out, I mean come on, what kind of evidence can he possibly have?

The only way is if the DNA evidence was somehow tampered with, or if there was discrepancies in the procedure followed. Or if there was a contamination of the results, etc.

You have a past history, witness testimony, no defense by the defendant, the defendant caught lying about the incident, DNA evidence, what more did they need?

killxswitch
03-02-2012, 01:14 PM

Or the American "justice" system failed. Again.

mightytitan9
03-02-2012, 01:23 PM
Great talent, I'd still give him a shot if he can work out well. He's probably headed to canada though

Rabscuttle
03-02-2012, 01:24 PM
No surpirse, only around 6% of rapists do time in 'merica

Bulldogs
03-02-2012, 02:01 PM
Great talent, I'd still give him a shot if he can work out well. He's probably headed to canada though

No thanks to having a rapist on my team.

mightytitan9
03-02-2012, 02:06 PM
I suppose having someone involved in a murder is better (ray lewis)

People always forget that Ray Lewis was involved in a murder and got off from being a narc and telling on the other two.

Damix
03-02-2012, 02:24 PM
The only argument he can make is that it was consensual sex. When your own teammate who was there doesn't back you up, saying that you told him "she's ready" when she was passed out, I mean come on, what kind of evidence can he possibly have?

The only way is if the DNA evidence was somehow tampered with, or if there was discrepancies in the procedure followed. Or if there was a contamination of the results, etc.

You have a past history, witness testimony, no defense by the defendant, the defendant caught lying about the incident, DNA evidence, what more did they need?

This is why I caution patience before passing judgement. Despite what people think about the justice system, clear cases like the one you describe get guilty verdicts. There is obviously something else that we don't know about.

Complex
03-02-2012, 02:43 PM

Is this really true?

killxswitch
03-02-2012, 02:50 PM

How could anyone possibly know this?

ATLDirtyBirds
03-02-2012, 02:54 PM

I don't know anything about that, but I do know that 86% of statistics are made up on the spot.

Ravens1991
03-02-2012, 02:56 PM

People always forget that Ray Lewis was involved in a murder and got off from being a narc and telling on the other two.

The amount of evidence to charge Ray with murder is far less then the evidence that they had on Cox.

mightytitan9
03-02-2012, 03:06 PM
The amount of evidence to charge Ray with murder is far less then the evidence that they had on Cox.

It would have still been 2nd degree because he was there, and they reportedly found his jumpsuit covered in blood in a nearby dumpster. That means he was at the scene and tried to hide/ cover it up.

Complex
03-02-2012, 03:32 PM
It would have still been 2nd degree because he was there, and they reportedly found his jumpsuit covered in blood in a nearby dumpster. That means he was at the scene and tried to hide/ cover it up.

They never found his suit according to wiki.

Jimmy
03-02-2012, 03:34 PM

It's an estimate. Somehow they've figured out that only x percent of rape cases are reported, and that works into the 6%

Brodeur
03-02-2012, 03:51 PM
At least he's just a former Bronco now, so Demaryius Thomas doesn't feel really awkward.

descendency
03-02-2012, 04:39 PM

They poll rapist after they get a "non-guilty" verdict and ask them if they really did it.

Seamus2602
03-02-2012, 04:44 PM
Not wanting to defend Perrish Cox because I was of the opinion that he was guilty as sin and I am still of the opinion that he is guilty as sin but that being said:

The "ready" statement was something that had never been brought up before to the police or to the prosecution. It was also not told to the defence and was by definition inadmissable. Not just wanting to let him off on a technacality I would ask that if Thomas thought it important enough to mention when he was sitting in a court, talking to a jury, during a trial that could have seen his former teammate sent to prison for life, why didn't he remember it in all the interviews with police and prosecuters? Additionally, as they went back out and continued to watch tv for an hour after the statement, he clearly didn't feel that there was anything sinister to the comment at the time, indicating that it was probably said in a joking tone.

There wasn't any forensic evidence linking him to it, no one saw him rape her. The only actual evidence tying him to it was the baby, who has since been aborted. Thus only the DNA testing could link him to it as the defence were unable to carry out their own independent testing. Throughout the trial the defence had claimed that the DNA testing had been contaminated. Clearly with the fact the Jury discounted the DNA testing there may have been some reason to suspect that was the case.

Seamus2602
03-02-2012, 04:46 PM

Crime surveys. X amount of people out of a 1000 say they have been raped and they use that to assume the total number rather than just those who report it to the police.

Also the statistic is probably accurate as rape convictions are normally notoriously difficult.

Don Vito
03-02-2012, 05:50 PM
Good for Demaryius Thomas, a lot of people wouldn't have the stones to do what he did.

J-Mike88
03-03-2012, 12:33 PM
Good for Demaryius Thomas, a lot of people wouldn't have the stones to do what he did.
Agreed.
DT is a class act without question.
Cox? He sux cox.

J-Mike88
03-03-2012, 12:38 PM
Ray Lewis' and his posse just removed some scum from the streets, and saved the taxpayers a lot of money with the swift justice.

The dirt that his people took out were similar to the dirt that shot and killed Broncos' Darrent Williams.

Ray Lewis' people did a favor to the community.

Back to Cox, bigbluedefense is clearly on the right side this time. Cox is guilty as hell, even though our judicial system lets him back onto the streets a free man.
People wonder why so many people arrested for rapes and murders already have long rap sheets. This is how.

PackerLegend
03-03-2012, 11:16 PM
Did he or did he not keep his Cox in his pants?

Ngatachance92
03-03-2012, 11:37 PM
Ray Lewis' and his posse just removed some scum from the streets, and saved the taxpayers a lot of money with the swift justice.

The dirt that his people took out were similar to the dirt that shot and killed Broncos' Darrent Williams.

Back to Cox, bigbluedefense is clearly on the right side this time. Cox is guilty as hell, even though our judicial system lets him back onto the streets a free man.
People wonder why so many people arrested for rapes and murders already have long rap sheets. This is how.

What Jmike said, and shut up you... Don't you dare drag Ray Rays name into another one of these threads or so help me (insert deity here) I will end you...

Sloopy
03-04-2012, 10:21 AM

LOL Ray Lewis was an accessory, clearly this makes rape okay...

Also a blatant lie, his suit was never found.

Complex
03-04-2012, 12:50 PM

Who did his people kill?a gangbanger?