PDA

View Full Version : Trading Freeney?

RCAChainGang
03-10-2012, 10:53 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/post/_/id/34913/the-titans-should-chase-dwight-freeney

A few Colts fans have talked about this. I was just curious what teams you guys think he would fit. Do the Colts get any bids or does he play out his last year?

mightytitan9
03-10-2012, 11:00 PM
Probably play out his last year unless he restructures and the Colts are wiling to take a mid to late round pick or player.

I think he'd really fit any 4-3 defense, some better than others of course.

RaiderNation
03-10-2012, 11:23 PM
I'd love to see him in Oakland, too bad we don't have the draft picks to send. Want Jacoby Ford?

falloutboy14
03-10-2012, 11:24 PM
I think the Colts aren't interested in restructuring. So he'd have to sign a new contract. Bears would be interesting putting him opposite Peppers. They're sort of in win-now mode before their defense collectively retires.

Aren't the Dolphins switching to a 4-3? maybe Atlanta?

Best guess at the compensation is a 3rd rounder.

Matthew Jones
03-10-2012, 11:26 PM
Atlanta seems like a logical fit considering John Abraham is a free agent and Ray Edwards hasn't played up to expectations so far. They're a contender so they should be interested in adding a quality pass rusher, although Mario Williams is another possibility.

Matthew Jones
03-10-2012, 11:30 PM
Other teams that could be interested:

Buffalo, Chicago, Detroit, Seattle

The Lions probably don't have enough money without Freeney agreeing to a major pay cut and Chicago may only be interested if they miss out on top free agents such as Vincent Jackson, Ben Grubbs, Carl Nicks, etc. Buffalo should definitely be looking for a pass rusher and may opt to pay Freeney's massive contract; they have the cash and may not be able to lure a free agent. Seattle would be interesting.

LonghornsLegend
03-10-2012, 11:46 PM
Atlanta seems like a logical fit considering John Abraham is a free agent and Ray Edwards hasn't played up to expectations so far. They're a contender so they should be interested in adding a quality pass rusher, although Mario Williams is another possibility.

And the don't have their 1st round pick, so I think they would definately be players. But they have to give up another pick to get him, while Mario could be had in Free Agency. I don't expect Freeney to go for an early round pick or anything but he plays a very important position on a defense and instantly improves a pass rush albeit short term, I think he'll have a market for him.

Complex
03-10-2012, 11:59 PM
He is going to cut no one is going to trade for him isn't he owed like 19 mil?

Matthew Jones
03-11-2012, 12:04 AM
He is going to cut no one is going to trade for him isn't he owed like 19 mil?

$14 million, although top pass rushers generally get paid $12 million and there's always the possibility of a pay cut. A contender with deep pockets may be willing to rent him for a year even at $14 million. The Bills are projected to be at least $30 million under the cap, the Bengals have about $60 million free, the Bears have $25 million or so, Atlanta is around $20-25m, and the Seahawks have about $30m to play with. Buffalo and Seattle could try and load up for a playoff run, and Cincinnati/Atlanta are already playoff teams who could be interested in rush help. Chicago is on the fringe although they may not want to commit so much to both Freeney and Peppers (as orgasmic as that combination would be.)

It might be a better idea for a top team such as the Falcons to wait and see if he gets cut (or how free agency goes), but the Bills should be interested in finding a pass rusher and may not feel confident in their ability to persuade one to join the team via free agency. It would be worth giving up a draft pick in order to ensure you're going to get production out of your pass rush especially if you're not sold on the draft or confident in the market.

dan77733
03-11-2012, 12:09 AM
I dont understand the Colts at all. Releasing all their top guys but yet, re-signing Mathis who's 31 to a contract that favors him more than the team.

*is puzzled*

Matthew Jones
03-11-2012, 12:15 AM
I dont understand the Colts at all. Releasing all their top guys but yet, re-signing Mathis who's 31 to a contract that favors him more than the team.

*is puzzled*

Agreed, these moves make the Mathis deal look very questionable. The Colts' offseason is a little bit schizophrenic when contrasting the Mathis re-signing with the rest of their decisions.

Complex
03-11-2012, 12:15 AM
$14 million, although top pass rushers generally get paid $12 million and there's always the possibility of a pay cut.

I also forgot to add that he doesn't want to play standing up so either the colts have to cut him or trade. I think most teams will wait for him to get cut but U guess your right someone could trade for him.

Matthew Jones
03-11-2012, 12:25 AM
I also forgot to add that he doesn't want to play standing up so either the colts have to cut him or trade. I think most teams will wait for him to get cut but U guess your right someone could trade for him.

It really just depends on how confident teams are that they will be able to sign him. If there's a lot of trade interest, he may not make it to free agency. If he gets cut, teams have to compete with other teams to attract him. He may also demand a contract of $12 million or so per year in free agency which is what John Abraham is going for. In that case, what would a team be willing to give up to ensure that they get him?

SuperPacker
03-11-2012, 05:27 AM
That now makes my 4th offseason wish.

1. Bengals get Mike Wallace and trade up for Trent Richardson
2. Colts draft Luck then trade back and get Fleener and Owusu
3. Ravens sign Peyton Manning
4. Bills trade for Freeney and draft Quinton Coples

All these scenarios would be awesome!

49erNation85
03-11-2012, 05:52 AM
Duck bengals getting Wallace . He comes to SF.

falloutboy14
03-11-2012, 09:29 AM
Don't the Patriots use a 4-3 part of the time? That might be a possibility too.

Razor
03-11-2012, 09:40 AM
Don't the Patriots use a 4-3 part of the time? That might be a possibility too.

I seriously doubt that BB would shell out the kind of money that Freeney wants to someone that old and on the decline.

NorrinRadd12
03-11-2012, 09:59 AM
Patriots make alot of sense. It fills a need and Belichick seems to be making a habit of going after big names at the end of their career.

I suspect the Giants are quietly shopping Umenyiora also which would water down the trade market for Freeney a little bit.

Matthew Jones
03-11-2012, 11:40 AM
Definitely don't see the Patriots going after Freeney. Someone like Andre Carter would be much cheaper, and Freeney costs a draft pick. Additionally, Belichick really values run defense.

zachsaints52
03-11-2012, 03:54 PM
Guys, he is coming to New Orleans on a vet minimum deal once he gets cut. Then, after he takes out a QB or two, he will be back to his normal money.

GoRavens
03-11-2012, 06:52 PM
I wonder how Freeney would do in a 3-4 scheme.
I've never seen him attempt to cover anybody

Matthew Jones
03-12-2012, 06:02 AM
I wonder how Freeney would do in a 3-4 scheme.
I've never seen him attempt to cover anybody

One of the reasons the Colts are getting rid of him appears to be his unwillingness to play in a 3-4.

PACKmanN
03-12-2012, 08:08 AM
For a guy who has been relying on his quickness for the most part, I wouldn't except him to last much longer in this league. Everything he is great in is because of his quickness.

WCH
03-12-2012, 09:11 AM
Other teams that could be interested:

Buffalo, Chicago, Detroit, Seattle

Wouldn't it make a lot more sense to just resign Avril? Or were you thinking in addition to Avril and Vanden Bosch?

killxswitch
03-12-2012, 09:23 AM
For a guy who has been relying on his quickness for the most part, I wouldn't except him to last much longer in this league. Everything he is great in is because of his quickness.

His quickness is a huge part of his game but he has a very effective bull rush too. He is just a very good pass rusher, even at his age.

Prowler
03-12-2012, 10:17 AM
It kills me to say this, but he needs to go to Chicago. Freeney and Peppers...the Bears front office had to have seen the impact that Detroits dline had on their games, so you'd think that they'd learn that a 43 pass rushing machine from a similar defensive tree would be worth the price tag. Its the best way that they can maintain their competitive advantage and take pressure off of the rest of that defense. Lock up Forte and stop teams from being able to pass against them and they would be beastly.

WCH
03-12-2012, 10:51 AM
It kills me to say this, but he needs to go to Chicago. Freeney and Peppers...the Bears front office had to have seen the impact that Detroits dline had on their games, so you'd think that they'd learn that a 43 pass rushing machine from a similar defensive tree would be worth the price tag. Its the best way that they can maintain their competitive advantage and take pressure off of the rest of that defense. Lock up Forte and stop teams from being able to pass against them and they would be beastly.

My thoughts exactly. I wasn't going to even put the idea out there, though.

I_C_DeadPeople
03-12-2012, 11:06 AM
The Bears need to spend any and all cap monies on the OL.

zachsaints52
03-12-2012, 11:32 AM

The Lions DL starts with their DT's, which makes their DEs 1 on 1 situations.

regoob2
03-12-2012, 11:35 AM
The Bears need to spend any and all cap monies on the OL.
No they dont.

mightytitan9
03-12-2012, 11:35 AM
The Titans would probably be interested if cut, I can't see them trading for him though

Brothgar
03-12-2012, 11:50 AM
Wouldn't it make a lot more sense to just resign Avril? Or were you thinking in addition to Avril and Vanden Bosch?

Avril was franchised

jrdrylie
03-12-2012, 11:52 AM

I'd be down for this for the right price. 1st round pick? Hell no! 3rd round pick. Sure, we have an extra one anyways.

zachsaints52
03-12-2012, 01:05 PM
The Titans would probably be interested if cut, I can't see them trading for him though

No team would be willing to trade for him and his 19 mil salary. He already said he wont restructure.

killxswitch
03-12-2012, 01:24 PM
No team would be willing to trade for him and his 19 mil salary. He already said he wont restructure.

He won't restructure with the Colts. I think he just wants out. He would probably restructure with another team if he liked the idea of going there. I just can't see that team being the Jets but Freeney is a New York guy.

regoob2
03-12-2012, 01:59 PM
I'd be down for this for the right price. 1st round pick? Hell no! 3rd round pick. Sure, we have an extra one anyways.
A 3rd is likely way to much. My guess is a 5th/6th.

killxswitch
03-12-2012, 02:05 PM
A 3rd is likely way to much. My guess is a 5th/6th.

5th or 6th is ********. I'd rather eat the cap hit and take a comp pick.

zachsaints52
03-12-2012, 02:07 PM
Id give a third for him if he could restructure.

RCAChainGang
03-12-2012, 03:36 PM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/03/12/freeney-signs-with-caa-as-colts-try-to-restructure-deal/?module=HP11_headline_stack

What does this mean?

Complex
03-12-2012, 03:40 PM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2012/03/12/freeney-signs-with-caa-as-colts-try-to-restructure-deal/?module=HP11_headline_stack

What does this mean?

He needs a agent to negotiate just encase he gets cut because his old agent died.

regoob2
03-12-2012, 07:35 PM
5th or 6th is ********. I'd rather eat the cap hit and take a comp pick.
With his age, the fact that he only has one year left on his contract and he wont play in a 3-4 limits the teams who will show interest. There's not a lot of teams that want to give up a higher pick to pay him $14mil and then resign him.

killxswitch
03-14-2012, 03:26 PM
I guess I'm getting my wish. Both La Canfora (meh) and Clayton are reporting that the Colts probably won't trade Freeney and will instead just eat the cap hit. I'm surprised but I support this move. Hopefully he just gives it a shot and decides he likes it.

RCAChainGang
03-14-2012, 03:27 PM
I just don't understand where he will play. Didn't he say he wants his hand in the turf?

killxswitch
03-14-2012, 03:28 PM
I just don't understand where he will play. Didn't he say he wants his hand in the turf?

My guess is he'll play OLB. So either he'll mope about it and won't start (which will be insane), or the competitive side will take over, he'll get over it and try playing standing up.

RCAChainGang
03-14-2012, 03:31 PM
My guess is he'll play OLB. So either he'll mope about it and won't start (which will be insane), or the competitive side will take over, he'll get over it and try playing standing up.

Let's hope so. I would love to see what he could do at LB.

Lil Quip
03-14-2012, 03:51 PM
He won't restructure with the Colts. I think he just wants out. He would probably restructure with another team if he liked the idea of going there. I just can't see that team being the Jets but Freeney is a New York guy.

Small point of contention, but Freeney has some connection to New England too.

He was a huge LT fan, no surprised there. Bloomfield (i grew up one town over) is basically half way between Boston and New York, so basically a push. Actually Foxboro is closer, plus no GD GW bridge! Plus he could work under the coach that helped LT beast at LB!

I think he could excel at the OLB/DE hybrid role we fill with Mark Anderson/Carter/Ninkovich.

Plus it would corner the market on basically the two good CT players in the NFL, Freeney and Hernandez.

Monomach
03-15-2012, 11:52 AM
Not even being a homer, but Chicago does seem like the perfect landing spot from Freeney's perspective.

a- need a pass rusher opposite Peppers.
b- scheme he's most comfortable in.
c- legit contender in win-now mode.

I'd only give a third for him with his age and he'd have to agree to an extension really favorable to the team. He's making 14 million with a 19 million cap hit right now. That's just not going to get him traded ANYWHERE. I'd want to do something like 20 million over 3 seasons with that third season being easy to cut.

So basically, if I were Emery, I'd bail the Colts out with a third rounder if and only if Freeney is way more interested in a great fit with a chance at a ring than money. If Dwight doesn't buy in, I just spend my money on the OL and make sure one of my picks gets used on a decent DE. The rest of the DL is excellent provided Okoye returns and I still have hope for Corey Wootten to become a starter, so it's not like I have to take it in the rear out of desperation.

Basically, not going to happen. It's always (mostly) about the money and he'd be leaving a lot on the table with me.

zachsaints52
03-15-2012, 06:56 PM
Not even being a homer, but Chicago does seem like the perfect landing spot from Freeney's perspective.
a- need a pass rusher opposite Peppers.
b- scheme he's most comfortable in.
c- legit contender in win-now mode.

I'd only give a third for him with his age and he'd have to agree to an extension really favorable to the team. He's making 14 million with a 19 million cap hit right now. That's just not going to get him traded ANYWHERE. I'd want to do something like 20 million over 3 seasons with that third season being easy to cut.

So basically, if I were Emery, I'd bail the Colts out with a third rounder if and only if Freeney is way more interested in a great fit with a chance at a ring than money. If Dwight doesn't buy in, I just spend my money on the OL and make sure one of my picks gets used on a decent DE. The rest of the DL is excellent provided Okoye returns and I still have hope for Corey Wootten to become a starter, so it's not like I have to take it in the rear out of desperation.

Basically, not going to happen. It's always (mostly) about the money and he'd be leaving a lot on the table with me.

Pretty homerish. I could say the same about the Saints except add two more.:

We also play 8 games in a dome, like the Colts.
We have a DC (Spags) who makes DEs play amazingly.

Bucs_Rule
03-15-2012, 07:00 PM

If the team isn't going to use that cap space it's not a big deal.

bearfan
03-15-2012, 07:08 PM

I don't think it is a homer statement for someone who runs a similar scheme to say that he would be a perfect fit for their system.

I'm hoping Bears, but if we cant afford it I wont be upset.

regoob2
03-15-2012, 07:35 PM

How does saying something that's 100% true make you a homer? Chicago would be a perfect spot for him. New Orleans would also be a good fit for him but he's still correct.

Monomach
03-15-2012, 07:41 PM

Saints had 6.5 mil in cap space before signing Grubbs and Colston. They have to be over the cap right now. That makes NO a pretty bad fit. You gonna pay Freeney in Mardi Gras beads and gumbo?

zachsaints52
03-15-2012, 07:51 PM
Saints had 6.5 mil in cap space before signing Grubbs and Colston. They have to be over the cap right now. That makes NO a pretty bad fit. You gonna pay Freeney in Mardi Gras beads and gumbo?

Releasing Vilma (which has been stated) and restructure ROMAN FREAKING HARPERs contract. Also Sed Ellis is supposedly up for restructure/cut because he is close to 6 mil.

zachsaints52
03-15-2012, 07:54 PM
How does saying something that's 100% true make you a homer? Chicago would be a perfect spot for him. New Orleans would also be a good fit for him but he's still correct.

Because you said perfect, and I think New Orleans would be a better spot given our field (which helps his speed out more) and our DC known for making DEs even better. Homerish too, but it seems more plausible, plus we can actually give the 3rd round you guys and I believe he would fetch.

regoob2
03-15-2012, 09:22 PM
Because you said perfect, and I think New Orleans would be a better spot given our field (which helps his speed out more) and our DC known for making DEs even better. Homerish too, but it seems more plausible, plus we can actually give the 3rd round you guys and I believe he would fetch.I dont believe he'll fetch a 3rd. If anyone is being a homer it's you. You cant say your situation is better. At best they're equals. Our scheme has made him a hall of famer and he'll play alongside Peppers and Melton. Rod Marinelli is no slouch.

killxswitch
03-15-2012, 10:35 PM
They are both good situations. He would have more help from his teammates in Chicago, and arguably the best 4-3 DC in the game in NO.

But it looks to me like the Colts are going to wait for the compensation they want. They're not desperate to get rid of him. It's not like the $14M in cap space would help us that much this year.

whatadai
03-15-2012, 11:17 PM
I'd love to see him in Oakland, too bad we don't have the draft picks to send. Want Jacoby Ford?

What? Our DEs are fine as is with Shaughnessy and Houston. Plus, we need Ford for our slot while the Colts already have Collie. No point in trading for an injury prone slot WR to replace another injury prone slot WR.

zachsaints52
03-15-2012, 11:44 PM
I dont believe he'll fetch a 3rd. If anyone is being a homer it's you. You cant say your situation is better. At best they're equals. Our scheme has made him a hall of famer and he'll play alongside Peppers and Melton. Rod Marinelli is no slouch.

We have a offense guarenteed to score 25+ points. Say what you want about your team, but we give him more of a chance to do his specialty which is attack the QB.