PDA

View Full Version : Matt Flynn to Seattle

BaLLiN
03-18-2012, 04:36 PM
Per NFL network 3 years 26 million, 10 million guaranteed

Adam Schefter report (https://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter/status/181488531305267200)

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7706316/2012-nfl-free-agency-seattle-seahawks-matt-flynn-reach-26m-deal-source-says

http://iusportcom.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/1matt_flynn_01012012.jpeg

vidae
03-18-2012, 04:37 PM
Great deal for Seattle. If he doesn't pan out they didn't spend much.

Caulibflower
03-18-2012, 04:42 PM
Yep, that's a good price for us. Short enough that if it turns out his big games were flukes, we're not stuck.

gpngc
03-18-2012, 04:43 PM
As long as Peyton Manning doesn't sign with San Francisco, this Seattle roster has the talent to win the NFC West.

On paper, they don't have any glaring weaknesses, but that's assuming Flynn wasn't just a product of Green Bay's extremely QB-friendly system. Whatever the case, he'll have a running game to lean on. He has to be an upgrade over T-Jack.

And defensively, the Seahawks added Jason Jones this week to a top-10 unit.

The roster is shaping up nicely. And now they can use pick #12 on Kuechly, DeCastro, or a pass rusher.

Caddy
03-18-2012, 04:43 PM
This is a pretty fantastic deal. Not too much that they are on the hook for big money (*cough* Kevin Kolb *cough*) and just enough time to actually see what he can do.

SuperPacker
03-18-2012, 04:44 PM
Yep, that's a good price for us. Short enough that if it turns out his big games were flukes, we're not stuck.

I like Seattle to be a surprise playoff team next year.

SuperPacker
03-18-2012, 04:44 PM
This is a pretty fantastic deal. Not too much that they are on the hook for big money (*cough* Kevin Kolb *cough*) and just enough time to actually see what he can do.

The Cards would of only lost 4mill if the cut Kolb last week. IMO they should of just gone with Skelton and save them having that useless ****!

Caddy
03-18-2012, 04:47 PM
The Cards would of only lost 4mill if the cut Kolb last week. IMO they should of just gone with Skelton and save them having that useless ****!

But they didn't and just paid him another 7 million via bonus. So yeah...

Halsey
03-18-2012, 04:47 PM
A lot of people will praise this move because the Seahawks didn't pay Kolb money. However, the fact that Flynn couldn't get Kolb money is not a good sign. If teams thought Flynn had a great chance of being a quality starter, there would have been a bigger market for him. This is a brilliant signing by Seattle if Flynn is even an average starter, but if he sucks, they'll just be spinning their wheels.

Caulibflower
03-18-2012, 04:48 PM
Didn't work out too badly the last time we signed a Packers backup.

gpngc
03-18-2012, 04:50 PM
A lot of people will praise this move because the Seahawks didn't pay Kolb money. However, the fact that Flynn couldn't get Kolb money is not a good sign. If teams thought Flynn had a great chance of being a quality starter, there would have been a bigger market for him. This is a brilliant signing by Seattle if Flynn is even an average starter, but if he sucks, they'll just be spinning their wheels.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/210/119/+_2acc5a8841f8752904d37f90a8014829.png

gpngc
03-18-2012, 04:51 PM
Flynn is pretty much a prospect. A very unique one, but still essentially not much different than a draft pick. One that would go very high based on what we've seen from him.

You have to spend on prospects, whether that is with draft capital AND money or just money.

whatadai
03-18-2012, 04:53 PM
Good thing for Lynch...they obviously aren't planning to air it out too much with Flynn, but have a decent enough QB to keep defenses honest. Now they need to go after Wallace and give him someone to throw to.

soybean
03-18-2012, 04:53 PM
This is a great signing following the departure of the one time horrible signing (trade), Charlie Whitehurst.

BaLLiN
03-18-2012, 04:55 PM
As long as Peyton Manning doesn't sign with San Francisco, this Seattle roster has the talent to win the NFC West.

The problem is that out of the 4 of the choices we think he has (Tennessee, Miami, Denver, San Fran) that the 49ers have got to be considered the best team without him.

Personally, I would like to know why Flynn didn't start all the time at LSU. Perriloux took his job but then got suspended right? Not sold on Flynn, especially because he played the Lions who have one of the worst secondaries in the NFL. I don't recall the Patriots defense and if it wasn't good or not, but I wasn't overly impressed. AJ Feeley played that Patriots team and almost beat them as well that year (I'm pretty sure).

You are right though, Seattle is a very good team. i like what is going on there, besides the jerseys.

gpngc
03-18-2012, 04:57 PM
Good thing for Lynch...they obviously aren't planning to air it out too much with Flynn, but have a decent enough QB to keep defenses honest. Now they need to go after Wallace and give him someone to throw to.

They actually have the cap room to go after Wallace and I don't think pick #12 is too high if you can get a WR like him. So it's not a ridiculous suggestion.

But I think they like their receiving corps right now:

Sidney Rice
Doug Baldwin
Mike Williams
Ben Obomanu
Golden Tate
Kris Durham (4th-round pick last year)
Ricardo Lockette (scored a TD late last year)

It's not the most impressive group, but there's some depth. And the top 5 have proven that they can contribute as starters.

Complex
03-18-2012, 04:58 PM
The problem is that out of the 4 of the choices we think he has (Tennessee, Miami, Denver, San Fran) that the 49ers have got to be considered the best team without him.

Personally, I would like to know why Flynn didn't start all the time at LSU. Perriloux took his job but then got suspended right? Not sold on Flynn, especially because he played the Lions who have one of the worst secondaries in the NFL. I don't recall the Patriots defense and if it wasn't good or not, but I wasn't overly impressed. AJ Feeley played that Patriots team and almost beat them as well that year (I'm pretty sure).

You are right though, Seattle is a very good team. i like what is going on there, besides the jerseys.

He was the #1 recruit or in the top 5. I don't know if Perriloux and Flynn were ever on the same team though.

BaLLiN
03-18-2012, 04:58 PM

Sidney Rice, Mike Williams, Zach Miller, Doug Baldwin, Golden Tate, Leon Washington...

Caulibflower
03-18-2012, 04:59 PM
Flynn is pretty much a prospect. A very unique one, but still essentially not much different than a draft pick. One that would go very high based on what we've seen from him.

You have to spend on prospects, whether that is with draft capital AND money or just money.

This is how I see it, too. And honestly, I don't see a big arm with Flynn, and the two defenses he torched were among the worst in the NFL the last couple of years. The Lions specifically this year looked like one of the worst secondaries I've ever seen. It's not like he was cutting them up with superhuman throws, they were constantly out of position and playing the ball poorly while he executed efficiently. But that's my worry - that he might not be anything more than efficient. I doubt it's realistic, but as a fan I'm still wondering if there's a way we'd end up with Tannehill and cutting Jackson, letting Flynn take over for the immediate future while the coaches see what the younger, rawer guy might have to offer. I know you don't want to put too much into a position, but we just haven't had much to get excited about for a looong time at QB. Even Hasselbeck was basically a first-tier game manager.

whatadai
03-18-2012, 05:02 PM
They actually have the cap room to go after Wallace and I don't think pick #12 is too high if you can get a WR like him. So it's not a ridiculous suggestion.

But I think they like their receiving corps right now:

Sidney Rice
Doug Baldwin
Mike Williams
Ben Obomanu
Golden Tate
Kris Durham (4th-round pick last year)
Ricardo Lockette (scored a TD late last year)

It's not the most impressive group, but there's some depth. And the top 5 have proven that they can contribute as starters.

I don't hate their WR corp either but none of those guys are a #1 or even close to one. Wallace as #1, Rice as #2 with Baldwin in the slot and Williams coming in in the red zone makes more sense to me.

Caulibflower
Also: WONDERLIIIIIIIIIIIIIC!

http://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?f=Matt&l=Flynn&i=7927

WCH

http://sportschump.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/jamarcus-russell-lsu.jpg

XxXdragonXxX
03-18-2012, 05:04 PM

Or hope that Sidney Rice can stay healthy. If he can, Flynn definitely has some weapons with him and Baldwin and Miller. Tate and Lockette also showed some promise at the end of the year.

I'm just so excited that Tarvaris Jackson won't be starting anymore. :banana:

whatadai
03-18-2012, 05:07 PM
Or hope that Sidney Rice can stay healthy. If he can, Flynn definitely has some weapons with him and Baldwin and Miller. Tate and Lockette also showed some promise at the end of the year.

I'm just so excited that Tarvaris Jackson won't be starting anymore. :banana:

Carroll uses his TEs to block more than receive. I don't believe Miller will get many more targets than before.

asdf1223
03-18-2012, 05:22 PM
Carroll uses his TEs to block more than receive. I don't believe Miller will get many more targets than before.

No not at all. Our entire Saints gameplan was to exploit John Carlson versus Roman Harper. The first half of the season the rookies struggled mightily on the right side and the second half Tarvaris just didn't look that way.

The deal is actually worth 3yr/19 with possible incentives to reach 24. Makes it even better. I still hope they do draft a QB because Flynn has a pretty limited ceiling. But paying him total guaranteed what the Cards paid Kolb last year is a great deal.

FUNBUNCHER
03-18-2012, 05:24 PM
Flynn can play. Great signing by Seattle. Kevin Kolb was overpaid so in reality Flynn's price point is about right.

You don't pay someone else's backup to come start for your team and give him franchise QB money.

Tool wise, he's Romo. Probably not as elusive outside the pocket but physically very similar players.

I don't know if Flynn will ever be a top 10 QB, but he's good enough to win double digit games in the NFL.

NFCW is going to be a very competitive division to watch and I don't think it's close to a lock that SF wins it.

Rosebud
03-18-2012, 05:25 PM
If Tannehill is available at their pick I wouldn't let Flynn keep me from bringing him in. Hope for a Brees/Rivers scenario in which case you franchise a proven Matt Flynn and trade him, otherwise you've at least got one QB.

EDIT: Just wanted to make sure people were clear I'm not saying that I expect Flynn to become one of the best QBs in the NFL at any point in his career, but Brees has continually improved from the moment Rivers stepped foot in San Diego, at that time the word bust was getting thrown around with him, but he turned it around while the high upside rookie got brought along slowly and polished extensively. So there's no real downside to it unless both players bust colossally and you're starting Tavaris Jackson in 4 years, but if that happens there's no way you'll still have you're job, so it'll be someone-else's problem.

Babylon
03-18-2012, 05:49 PM

On paper, they don't have any glaring weaknesses, but that's assuming Flynn wasn't just a product of Green Bay's extremely QB-friendly system. Whatever the case, he'll have a running game to lean on. He has to be an upgrade over T-Jack.

And defensively, the Seahawks added Jason Jones this week to a top-10 unit.

The roster is shaping up nicely. And now they can use pick #12 on Kuechly, DeCastro, or a pass rusher.

I like how you're thinking cowboy.

I just noticed this signing (darn family get togethers) and couldnt be happier.

On a somewhat unrelated topic where does Ryan tannehill land now. The list of suitors seem to be drying up especially if Alex Smith ends up in Miami. Maybe Cleveland trades down a bit and jumps on him.

Rosebud
03-18-2012, 05:57 PM
I like how you're thinking cowboy.

I just noticed this signing (darn family get togethers) and couldnt be happier.

On a somewhat unrelated topic where does Ryan tannehill land now. The list of suitors seem to be drying up especially if Alex Smith ends up in Miami. Maybe Cleveland trades down a bit and jumps on him.

What do you Seahawks fans think, you're team's pretty well rounded, not too committed to Flynn and not overwhelmed with glaring deficiencies, is it possible that they still pick up Tannehill if he's sitting their when they pick? They'd be paying the two of them less than franchise QBs and some less than franchise QBs like the Sanchize. You might end up wasting the pick on a player you don't end up needing, but in that scenario you can be the beneficiaries of a starting QB trade to give you ammo to fill what ever holes open up by then.

Mind you guys I haven't been paying too close of attention to the offseason so far so if I'm missing some glaring holes in your roster that dictate a first round pick be spent to address them, please correct me.

descendency
03-18-2012, 05:58 PM
Per NFL network 3 years 26 million, 10 million guaranteed

WOW. That seems low for a QB. The 12 and 13 salaries might be good numbers, but the cap blows up in 2014 so this looks very low to me.

OSUGiants17
03-18-2012, 06:00 PM
That's a lot less than I thought it would be
http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/7650736/1024/Swaps/Flynn-SAE-B-%2526-A.png

Rosebud
03-18-2012, 06:01 PM
WOW. That seems low for a QB. The 12 and 13 salaries might be good numbers, but the cap blows up in 2014 so this looks very low to me.

Rookie QB wage scale is pushing down the price of potential at the QB position. When using a first round pick on a high upside guy only costs you the pick and a couple mil per year some guy with two career starts isn't going to warrant the crazy money they used to.

ChiFan24
03-18-2012, 06:01 PM

The OC is Darrell Bevell. He has no problem using tight ends.

Anyway, I think I like Flynn enough to love this deal for Seattle. I could see them taking the division if San Fran doesn't bring in Peyton. I don't think SF's success is sustainable without a major upgrade at QB. Too many close games that could eventually start swinging the other way, IMO.

....cue the bitching SF fans

Matthew Jones
03-18-2012, 06:02 PM
I'm surprised that Flynn's deal ended up being reasonable; maybe the recent Cassel/Kolb deals scared teams off? Regardless, I was more impressed with the prior body of work of those two players than with Flynn's. Nice move for the Seahawks financially; however, it's interesting that Philbin didn't value Flynn enough to beat that offer. That looks like a bad omen, although it's also possible Mike Sherman convinced the club that Ryan Tannehill was worth picking at number eight.

gpngc
03-18-2012, 06:06 PM
The OC is Darrell Bevell. He has no problem using tight ends.

Anyway, I think I like Flynn enough to love this deal for Seattle. I could see them taking the division if San Fran doesn't bring in Peyton. I don't think SF's success is sustainable without a major upgrade at QB. Too many close games that could eventually start swinging the other way, IMO.

....cue the bitching SF fans

Like both against Seattle.

Including T-Jack choking horrendously in one.

And Ted Ginn returning two kicks for TDs in the other.

Caulibflower
03-18-2012, 06:08 PM
What do you Seahawks fans think, you're team's pretty well rounded, not too committed to Flynn and not overwhelmed with glaring deficiencies, is it possible that they still pick up Tannehill if he's sitting their when they pick? They'd be paying the two of them less than franchise QBs and some less than franchise QBs like the Sanchize. You might end up wasting the pick on a player you don't end up needing, but in that scenario you can be the beneficiaries of a starting QB trade to give you ammo to fill what ever holes open up by then.

Mind you guys I haven't been paying too close of attention to the offseason so far so if I'm missing some glaring holes in your roster that dictate a first round pick be spent to address them, please correct me.

I wouldn't mind at all, but honestly, I doubt he'll make it to #12 and the bigger thing is with signing Flynn, the Seahawks are no longer thinking about trading up to get Tannehill, and that's probably what it would take. Cleveland's still going to be thinking about it, Kansas City will be, Miami might be. Buffalo could be a dark horse to pick him at #10.

Rosebud
03-18-2012, 06:16 PM
I wouldn't mind at all, but honestly, I doubt he'll make it to #12 and the bigger thing is with signing Flynn, the Seahawks are no longer thinking about trading up to get Tannehill, and that's probably what it would take. Cleveland's still going to be thinking about it, Kansas City will be, Miami might be. Buffalo could be a dark horse to pick him at #10.

See I just don't think Holmgren's going to take that risk at #4, KC could although for some reason i'm not feeling it and Miami probably would although they've done dumber things than passing on a raw prospect. Buffalo could but I think they're the least likely since they have the best current QB of the bunch and seem positioned to make a push for the AFC East title or at least a Wild card and so will probably be looking for a more immediate piece like an OT, WR or even a DB if Claiborne somehow falls to their pick.

I just think that realistically KC and Miami are the two biggest threats for you and I wouldn't be shocked to see KC delude themselves into giving Cassel one more year while Miami thinks that Matt Moore and a second round pick will get the job done, more doubtful on the latter, but just wondering how far he could end up sliding n cause if he makes it past you, I think he ends up a Brown and I like the kid so would hate to see him on that team...I have an irrational hatred for the City of Cleveland and because of it the entire state of Ohio, it's why I still can't whole-heartedly hate LeBron even though he went to the ***** ass Heat.

asdf1223
03-18-2012, 06:16 PM

I really like Tannehill and wouldnt mind picking him in the first but I think the team goes pass rusher at 12 and picks a QB in the 2nd/3rd rounder. They are usually very open about needs and they said they wanted speed at Lb and more pass rush. They also like Cousins and Osweiler a lot so if they fall the team would probably take them.

They could also play with fire and trade down in the first as no team before Cleveland at 22 needs a QB. If it works they get extra picks and take Tannehill at a more value spot. If not it doesn't really screw them up.

Rabscuttle
03-18-2012, 06:17 PM
Nice pickup for Seattle. They had to make a move at quarterback to at least make the safeties think their presense may be needed somewhere other than in Lynch's grill.

If their o-line investments can stay healthy and progress, this offense is getting close to being a complete deal and their d is a pretty solid unit.

PackerLegend
03-18-2012, 06:38 PM
Good move and deal for both sides.... I would really like to see Flynn do well and I think he will... or atleast I hope.

XxXdragonXxX
03-18-2012, 06:47 PM
Doug Baldwin will be switching to #89 so Flynn can wear 15.

On the subject of Tannehill, I don't see it happening. The Hawks are in need of linebackers and a pass rusher. If Flynn doesn't work out, the 2013 QB class ain't too shabby.

Babylon
03-18-2012, 06:54 PM

First off i dont think they go near Tannehill now. On the outside chance an Osweiler was there in the 3rd or 4th then maybe go with that.

My best guess for their 1st pick would probably be from:

1. David DeCastro
2. Michael Floyd
3. Luke Kuechly
4. Melvin Ingram

SuperPacker
03-18-2012, 06:57 PM
First off i dont think they go near Tannehill now. On the outside chance an Osweiler was there in the 3rd or 4th then maybe go with that.

My best guess for their 1st pick would probably be from:

1. David DeCastro
2. Michael Floyd
3. Luke Kuechly
4. Melvin Ingram

Not an offensive lineman again...

They already have Okung, Carpenter and Moffit who they've spet high picks on recently.

Kuechly would be the best and most logical choice IMO.

PackerLegend
03-18-2012, 06:58 PM
Doug Baldwin will be switching to #89 so Flynn can wear 15.

On the subject of Tannehill, I don't see it happening. The Hawks are in need of linebackers and a pass rusher. If Flynn doesn't work out, the 2013 QB class ain't too shabby.

15... bahh what a stupid number.

CashmoneyDrew
03-18-2012, 06:59 PM
15... bahh what a stupid number.

My favorite...

SuperPacker
03-18-2012, 07:00 PM
Why does he want #15 anyway. Its not like he has some past connection to it.

EDIT: Take that back...

http://www.sptimes.com/2008/01/07/images/tb_sp_flynn300.jpg

XxXdragonXxX
03-18-2012, 07:08 PM
Not an offensive lineman again...

They already have Okung, Carpenter and Moffit who they've spet high picks on recently.

Kuechly would be the best and most logical choice IMO.

Yeah I'd hate another offensive lineman in the 1st. Add Spencer to the list of recent 1st round OL.

Lber is a logical choice as its looking like KJ Wright will be the only returning starter there.

Brent
03-18-2012, 07:12 PM
My favorite...
dont even act like you were a QB in HS, voodoomonkey!

CashmoneyDrew
03-18-2012, 07:15 PM
dont even act like you were a QB in HS, voodoomonkey!

No, but I was always number 15 in basketball, baseball, and soccer.

And if I had had the patience to go out for my high school's team my last two years, I totally would have been the starting quarterback. And I would've made it rain out there.

D-Unit
03-18-2012, 07:35 PM
Good signing. I don't think this takes Seattle out of the Matt Barkley, Tyler Wilson sweepstakes next year either.

phlysac
03-18-2012, 07:42 PM
Honest question.

Why is 3/26 considered a really good deal for the Seahawks, yet Alex Smith is being bashed for turning down 3/24?

cvv84
03-18-2012, 07:45 PM
Honest question.

Why is 3/26 considered a really good deal for the Seahawks, yet Alex Smith is being bashed for turning down 3/24?

Because you know what you have in Smith. He isn't worth that kind of money. I'm not saying Flynn is either, but IMO he has a potentially higher upside to him than Smith at this stage of his career.

XxXdragonXxX
03-18-2012, 07:48 PM
And its actually 3/19 plus 5 in incentives.

phlysac
03-18-2012, 07:50 PM
Because you know what you have in Smith. He isn't worth that kind of money. I'm not saying Flynn is either, but IMO he has a potentially higher upside to him than Smith at this stage of his career.

You realize that Flynn is only 1 year younger than Smith? Upside?

XxXdragonXxX
03-18-2012, 07:53 PM

Upside and age are not the same.

Smith has shown what he can do. Flynn has only played 2 games, in which he's shown flashes of being very good.

cvv84
03-18-2012, 07:57 PM

Yeah, and in 6 seasons Smith has proven to be nothing more than a game manager. It he more likely to turn it after having 6 years as a starter than Flynn is? That's the real question. Hence Flynn is perceived to have more upside in terms of possibly becoming a starting caliber QB than Smith.

phlysac
03-18-2012, 07:57 PM
And its actually 3/19 plus 5 in incentives.

Thank you for that clarification.

XxXdragonXxX
03-18-2012, 08:31 PM
Flynn also has an amazing girlfriend. She's worth that contract by herself.

whatadai
03-18-2012, 08:53 PM

3/19 for a starting QB? Damn, she must be ugly.

XxXdragonXxX
03-18-2012, 08:57 PM
3/19 to get the girl in Seattle. The starting QB is just a bonus.

OzTitan
03-18-2012, 09:13 PM
So what does this say about the relationship he had with Philbin? or Philbin's opinion of Flynn?

Shane P. Hallam
03-18-2012, 09:18 PM
So what does this say about the relationship he had with Philbin? or Philbin's opinion of Flynn?

Nothing and nothing. Ross lowballed Flynn, Seattle really wanted him. 'Nugh said.

Rabscuttle
03-18-2012, 09:20 PM

Ross is an even bigger jackhole once you talk to him in person?

cvv84
03-18-2012, 09:21 PM

I think they tried to pinch pennies to sign Flynn knowing his relationship with Philbin and got out maneuvered. They seem desperate at the moment which explains the reach out to Alex Smith.

Caddy
03-18-2012, 09:24 PM

Maybe he went where the $$$ was..

BandwagonPunditry
03-18-2012, 09:29 PM
I think they tried to pinch pennies to sign Flynn knowing his relationship with Philbin and got out maneuvered. They seem desperate at the moment which explains the reach out to Alex Smith.

They're running out of options. Here's a thought, what if...

Flynn to Seattle.
Manning to Denver.
Smith stays.

Bring Tebow home?

WCH
03-18-2012, 09:29 PM
And don't forget, Seattle's GM was in GB for Flynn's first couple of seasons, so they have a history.

phlysac
03-18-2012, 10:59 PM

Must be that Elizabeth Smith is ugly...

http://cdn2.dailycaller.com/2010/09/Picture-775.png

Halsey
03-18-2012, 11:00 PM
Nothing and nothing. Ross lowballed Flynn, Seattle really wanted him. 'Nugh said.

If Seattle really wanted him, why didn't they sign him earlier? Why did they only give him 3 years?

ChiFan24
03-18-2012, 11:03 PM
Must be that Elizabeth Smith is ugly...

http://cdn2.dailycaller.com/2010/09/Picture-775.png

Stop being a Smithscuser.

Mufasa
03-18-2012, 11:18 PM
If Seattle really wanted him, why didn't they sign him earlier? Why did they only give him 3 years?

It's been less than a week since free agency started. It's not like they signed him 5 days before the draft. Flynn had been talking to other teams too. And why would they give him more than 3 years? That's the perfect length for both sides. If he sucks then they aren't in it too deep. If he's good then he'll be able to cash in big, being only 29 the next time he's a free agent. And they'll have no problem paying him big then if he's proven to be a good QB.

Bert Macklin
03-19-2012, 02:12 AM
He was the #1 recruit or in the top 5. I don't know if Perriloux and Flynn were ever on the same team though.

#1 and yes they played on the same team in '07

toonsterwu
03-19-2012, 02:16 AM
If you leave aside their futile efforts to make home run grabs, along with their crap-tastic history with QB's (and trading picks for QB's), I'd say this isn't the worst thing for the Dolphins. I think Flynn is an intriguing QB who has gotten over-hyped a bit (although the contract does seem a lot more ... fair than I initially expected). He might be a very good QB, but there's QB's that have similar skillsets/ability, so losing Flynn shouldn't have been that big a deal at all.

The problem is how all this played out - the aggressive push for Manning, the failure to land Manning, trading away Marshall in b/w, seemingly low-balling Flynn (and considering the contract he ended with ... ), and then the aggressive pursuit of Alex Smith. This is an offense at it's very root that simply desires a smart AND quick decision maker with good field vision and a quick release. Yes, having an Aaron Rodgers fire-baller would be nice, but those are hard to come by. A guy with that can hit the intermediate routes and occasionally take deep shots can excel, and you can find a lot of QB's that have that level of skillset. Whether or not they have the brains for the offense is another question, but again, my point is the loss of Flynn shouldn't have been a big deal, but the issue is how they went about things.

I'm still in the camp that thinks Alex Smith has a bit more untapped ability, and I'm not so sure Alex Smith can't be as productive, if not moreso, than Matt Flynn in this offense. If Matt Hasselbeck get displaced, or if Jake Locker gets offered on the open market, they would be intriguing gambles to take (provided the price was right). I still wonder about Brian Hoyer and why no one has remotely any interest in the guy - he would seem like a possible fit the scheme.

Get a decent veteran in there, draft a Tannehill, Cousins type to develop, and things could be just fine. Personally, I'm not so sure that I wouldn't prefer a young vet and passing on Tannehill (and drafting a QB in the 2nd), although it wouldn't surprise me if they redirected their first round attention towards trying to land Tannehill now (and giving the hard sell on his upside and his relationship with Sherman). Here's hoping, if they go that route, that they've learned their lesson and won't put all their eggs in one basket in terms of how they present things.

FUNBUNCHER
03-19-2012, 02:31 AM
I think Harbaugh made Alex Smith look better than he really is. He's a mid level starting QB, a guy your team is always looking to upgrade.

Flynn will take Seattle to the next level..playoffs.

49erNation85
03-19-2012, 02:37 AM
Yea good luck Seattle while you have Flynn.The 49ers will hopefully have Manning ...

Razor
03-19-2012, 02:51 AM
Yea good luck Seattle while you have Flynn.The 49ers will hopefully have Manning ...

Well, it seems like it's pretty much Manning or bust for the 49ers at this point. They've obviously alienated Smith who's discussing contract with Miami. If Manning goes to Denver you're pretty much stuck with starting Kapernick. This is a huge mistake by the 49ers and it seems like they think they're done rebuilding when the reality is that they've just started. Getting vets like Moss and Manning is something to do when you're consistently a contender with a team consisting of core players, not old players past their prime. I fail to see how anything the 49ers have done this offseason will help them improve as a team (maybe Moss).

GaMeTiMe
03-19-2012, 02:58 AM
Well, it seems like it's pretty much Manning or bust for the 49ers at this point. They've obviously alienated Smith who's discussing contract with Miami. If Manning goes to Denver you're pretty much stuck with starting Kapernick. This is a huge mistake by the 49ers and it seems like they think they're done rebuilding when the reality is that they've just started. Getting vets like Moss and Manning is something to do when you're consistently a contender with a team consisting of core players, not old players past their prime. I fail to see how anything the 49ers have done this offseason will help them improve as a team (maybe Moss).

To their credit, re-signing Carlos Rogers and bringing in Cox makes their entire defensive unit one of the deepest and most talented in the league. Otherwise, just keeping the rest of the team together is doing more than enough to improve it. If they pull off the Manning signing no one will notice what almost was and they're immediate SB contenders (get the Peyton/Eli NFCCG hype-wagon started..) because they upgraded so greatly at QB and didn't get worse anywhere else. If Manning signs in Tennessee or Denver, It's Kaepernick or David Garrard. Truly do or die. But, for all we know Kaepernick can handle managing that offense with Moss/Manningham outside and Crabtree/Davis inside, a dual-threat running game with Gore/Hunter and top-3 defensive unit. We've seen lower-ceiling QBs do it (Alex Smith).

Of course this all still hinges on Alex Smith signing in Miami, but after he visits and then you hear he's being offered $8m/yr after being low-balled by SF it's almost a done deal, unless he truly wants to go back to SF and is gaining all the leverage he can get. He'd be smart to not sign with Miami but keep it as close to a done-deal as possible, hoping Manning doesn't sign with SF and he suddenly gets a huge offer from them.

Actually, weren't there a lot of rumblings about Josh Johnson to San Francisco? Would that pretty much be worth a 2nd day pick if they fail to land both Peyton and Smith? And then what about Tannehill - KC?

Not trying to get too far off topic from Flynn, but his signing is the precursor to all of these other scenarios anyway.

Razor
03-19-2012, 03:09 AM
The thing about their defense to me is that they were so good last year (like 2007 NE offense good) on defense that I would almost characterize that as a perfect storm for them. To be able to do all that again, getting favorable bounces, dominant performances from pretty much everyone in the front seven etc is going to be so hard. Dashon Goldson had a career year the season after they were willing to let him go in FA. He almost signed with NE but took a cheap 1-year deal instead. Carlos Rogers has never been so good as he was last year. It's not a given that they'll be able to be as dominant as they were last season on defense again. And it seems like the 49ers organization is taking that as a given instead of trying to keep building and increasing the floor of the team instead of constantly trying to increase the ceiling. You need to do both to sustain success in the NFL.

asdf1223
03-19-2012, 03:11 AM
Josh Johnson's a free agent, I'm pretty sure he will be on speed dial in case both Alex Smith and Manning say no. If Manning ends up in Tenn., and Hasselbeck gets released I wouldnt be surprised to see the 49ers pursue him. They had a ton of interest in him last year as well and maybe except Cleveland there wouldn't be any team seriously pursuing him.

GaMeTiMe
03-19-2012, 03:15 AM
The thing about their defense to me is that they were so good last year (like 2007 NE offense good) on defense that I would almost characterize that as a perfect storm for them. To be able to do all that again, getting favorable bounces, dominant performances from pretty much everyone in the front seven etc is going to be so hard. Dashon Goldson had a career year the season after they were willing to let him go in FA. He almost signed with NE but took a cheap 1-year deal instead. Carlos Rogers has never been so good as he was last year. It's not a given that they'll be able to be as dominant as they were last season on defense again. And it seems like the 49ers organization is taking that as a given instead of trying to keep building and increasing the floor of the team instead of constantly trying to increase the ceiling. You need to do both to sustain success in the NFL.

I agree to an extent but their defensive dominance can be sustained. This is a unit that went more than half the year without allowing a rushing touchdown. I do agree that Goldson and Rogers aren't as good as they seem, but it's no coincidence that they're both defensive backs on the unit with the best front 7 in the league last year. Whitner and Tarell Brown looked better than ever too, or just weren't exposed as often. Unless the front seven is hit with the injury bug next year I don't see why they can't be at least almost as good, and they were great.

Josh Johnson's a free agent, I'm pretty sure he will be on speed dial in case both Alex Smith and Manning say no. If Manning ends up in Tenn., and Hasselbeck gets released I wouldnt be surprised to see the 49ers pursue him. They had a ton of interest in him last year as well and maybe except Cleveland there wouldn't be any team seriously pursuing him.

That's right, I completely forgot he was a free agent because he was always involved in trade rumors the last few years. Forget about having him on speed dial, he's probably camping out in the room next to the press conference

Ness
03-19-2012, 03:16 AM

Well having Manningham and Moss as your starters is better than Josh Morgan and Michael Cratree. Moss is up there in age, but I think he'll play with some motivation, at least for some time.

In regards to Peyton Manning, he contacted the 49ers reportedly. The 49ers were at a standstill with Alex Smith and his contract talks. No one really knows why there were delays, but Jed York (49ers president) said about a week ago that the ball was essentially in his court. He just hasn't signed the deal, which was apparently around the one Flynn just got.

The 49ers didn't entertain any other free agent quarterbacks. But when Peyton Manning calls and shows interest, and you don't have a starter on the roster and the guy you had as your starter isn't signing the deal that is on the table, it would be stupid not to at least have him workout for you.

SolidGold
03-19-2012, 06:32 AM

Josh Johnson hasn't done anything to warrant consideration as a starting QB in the league. I don't get the hype. Sure he played for Haurbaugh in college but in his limited playing time in the NFL he has been uneven at best.

Ness
03-19-2012, 07:09 AM
Josh Johnson hasn't done anything to warrant consideration as a starting QB in the league. I don't get the hype. Sure he played for Haurbaugh in college but in his limited playing time in the NFL he has been uneven at best.

He knows Harbaugh's offense though. So he'd be a last resort. The 49ers would probably go after Hasselback first if Peyton signs with Tennesee and Smith signs with the Dolphins. But if Peyton signs with the Bronocs and Smith signs with the Dolphins, I think that is the only real chance that Johnson will get with the 49ers.

phlysac
03-19-2012, 10:06 AM
The common thought is that if the 49ers lose out on BOTH Manning and Alex Smith...

Colin Kaepernick will also have Mike Wallace to throw to.

gpngc
03-19-2012, 10:13 AM
Peter King speculated that with no basis.

And it also makes no sense whatsoever. WTF is the point of having Wallace, Crabtree, Manningham, Moss, and Vernon Davis with Josh Johnson or Kap as the QB?

The team is committed to running the ball. There's no reason they'd spend all that money on all those WRs.

brat316
03-19-2012, 10:13 AM
The common thought is that if the 49ers lose out on BOTH Manning and Alex Smith...

Colin Kaepernick will also have Mike Wallace to throw to.

Yeah I doubt they want to spend all the money in WRs and then give up their first round pick. But hey it's always nice to dream.

phlysac
03-19-2012, 10:18 AM
The team is committed to running the ball. There's no reason they'd spend all that money on all those WRs.

You could make the exact argument about spending $100 Million dollars on Peyton Manning.

gpngc
03-19-2012, 10:21 AM
You could make the exact argument about spending $100 Million dollars on Peyton Manning.

No you couldn't. Peyton Manning can single-handedly change an offense for the better.

Adding a 4th starting-caliber receiver for huge money AND a first-round pick to play with a QB who isn't best suited to throw 40 times a game is a misuse of resources.

The two aren't comparable at all.

phlysac
03-19-2012, 10:24 AM
No you couldn't. Peyton Manning can single-handedly change an offense for the better.

Adding a 4th starting-caliber receiver for huge money AND a first-round pick to play with a QB who isn't best suited to throw 40 times a game is a misuse of resources.

The two aren't comparable at all.

Theyre comparable in the fact that neither compliment the thought that they are committed to running the ball.

And relax. It's Peter King. Let me know the next time he's right about something.

LonghornsLegend
03-19-2012, 12:39 PM

I hate when people keep saying this. If it was the Steelers or the Ravens everyone would assume that it would just automatically keep ticking but because it's the Niners all of the sudden they are just going to go from an elite defense to average? Sorry I don't buy it. There are more variables to show they will get better this year then worse. They actually get an off-season together, they return all 11 starters, Aldon Smith will have an expanded role, etc.

What exactly are they Niners taking for granted or how are they acting like it's a given? It's not like they are trying to plug in 4-5 guys on the D that hope play just as good, unless they suffer a huge injury this D is going to be lights out still and other then assuming or hoping there isn't much to state otherwise.

I remember when the Saints made their SB run a few years ago, almost all of those turnovers seemed sheer luck, the ball bouncing their way, etc. That's not the case for the Niners, just playing sound defense to force the other team to punt and playing field position isn't luck. The fact that the entire defense hits like they are on steroids and every single one of them knowing how to strip the ball out upon impact isn't luck.

Obviously things can change and they could have a big drop off, but there is no evidence to show that.

holt_bruce81
03-19-2012, 08:44 PM
I dont really understand why teams get so giddy over backup Quarterbacks Like Kolb, Whitehurst and now Flynn. Unless it's a backup with multiple starts and a guy thats actually proven himself in the league there is NO way I'm giving anyone a multi-year deal to be the starter of my franchise.

I mean what has Flynn done to change everyones opinion from the day he was selected in the 7th round to today? besides start two games on a LOADED packers team?

niel89
03-19-2012, 09:05 PM
I hate when people keep saying this. If it was the Steelers or the Ravens everyone would assume that it would just automatically keep ticking but because it's the Niners all of the sudden they are just going to go from an elite defense to average? Sorry I don't buy it. There are more variables to show they will get better this year then worse. They actually get an off-season together, they return all 11 starters, Aldon Smith will have an expanded role, etc.

This is something I'm noticing about the entire 49ers too. People are acting like the 49ers are going to fall back down to earth next season. They played really good football last season with a new coach and a short offseason. Granted they played a easier schedule last season but they still went 13-3 with the same team that has been average in past seasons. The offense will continue to get better under Harbaugh, especially with additional help outside. The team didn't get to the NFCCG by accident. They are going to continue to fill the roster with Harbaugh type players and get better.

Bengalsrocket
03-19-2012, 09:21 PM

The 49ers went from below average to elite in a single season, it's not that hard to imaging the pendulum swinging back again. Their defense has slowly been getting better, and it finally hit that elite status this season. It's very possible for them to stay elite or even get better. But it's also possible that Alex Smith turns the ball over more often, the defense gets worn out and ultimately looks a lot worse.

The Steelers and Ravens have had a good defense every year for the last 10 years. It's not a fluke for them and that's why everyone expects it.

niel89
03-19-2012, 09:23 PM
I dont really understand why teams get so giddy over backup Quarterbacks Like Kolb, Whitehurst and now Flynn. Unless it's a backup with multiple starts and a guy thats actually proven himself in the league there is NO way I'm giving anyone a multi-year deal to be the starter of my franchise.

I mean what has Flynn done to change everyones opinion from the day he was selected in the 7th round to today? besides start two games on a LOADED packers team?

It's not like Flynn's deal is crazy outrageous like Kolb's deal. Its a solid deal for both sides to see how good Flynn really is. Flynn looked great in his limited time compared to Kolb.

You can't just completely disregard Flynn's career. The guy came in as a 7th rounder and beat out a 2nd rounder immediately. He has had a couple years to sit and learned behind a great QB with good coaching at a franchise know for developing solid QBs. The fact that he survived on the roster as a 7th rounder, became a stable backup, & then performed excellent when he had a chance says that he isn't the 7th rounder he started off as. Yes the offense is loaded but he still went out there and threw 6 TDs and went 31/44. I'm not saying he deserves a mega contract, but he is worth of a decent deal and a chance to show a team what he is now.

asdf1223
03-20-2012, 02:48 AM
The third year has zero guaranteed money. So after year 2 he gets an extension or gets cut basically. Most likely, they will mortgage their future for a QB next draft and Flynn is just a better bridge quarterback than Tarvaris.

Ness
03-20-2012, 06:25 AM
I think Flynn has a chance to be a good player. That Packers team was loaded, but at the same time in both of the starts he's had he's played fairly well. Seahawks could have found their true quarterback.

Vox Populi
03-20-2012, 06:56 AM
I think Flynn will have a solid season even if he isn't a franchise QB. I'm definitely in the minority based on everything I've read from anyone talking about Seattle, but I think that their team is a lot better off in terms of skill position players than people give them credit for everywhere outside of having a good #2 receiver. I'm probably the biggest non Gamecock homer Sidney Rice fan there is though, and I'm expecting him to come back in a big way now that he'll be completely healthy and have a training camp in Seattle with at least a better QB than Jackson throwing to him. Baldwin should continue to be a great player out of the slot, Miller is a reliable tight end no matter how you use him, and Lynch has some solid receiving ability as well. The Seahawks should also be able to run a lot of succesful play action with Lynch being priority number one for every defense that they play too.

SolidGold
03-20-2012, 07:06 AM
I think Flynn has a chance to be a good player. That Packers team was loaded, but at the same time in both of the starts he's had he's played fairly well. Seahawks could have found their true quarterback.

I agree. I think the Seahawks offense has pretty good talent as well. The only thing I would give the edge to in terms of offense (besides A-Rod) is the WRs but not by a big margin.

The Seahawks are also dedicated to running the ball which will help Flynn. Miller is much better than any TE on the Packers roster.

Shane P. Hallam
03-20-2012, 07:21 AM

There is more than games to evaluate, practice, development, etc. GB vouched for his development and probably allowed some practice film of Flynn to get out there to help him out.

Babylon
03-20-2012, 02:22 PM
The third year has zero guaranteed money. So after year 2 he gets an extension or gets cut basically. Most likely, they will mortgage their future for a QB next draft and Flynn is just a better bridge quarterback than Tarvaris.

This. I think Flynn can do for the team what Hasselbeck did and as you say they can cut ties after a couple of years if they need too.

I wouldnt be shocked if they brought in a Brock Osweiler if he was there 3rd round or later. Let him develope under Flynn and if nothing else you've seriously upgraded your QB situation.

SolidGold
03-20-2012, 02:26 PM
The seahawks have great uniforms.

FUNBUNCHER
03-20-2012, 04:57 PM
Matt Flynn = Trent Green.

I see him only getting better with every start. Whenever he's been given the chance after being underrated, he's produced. He did it at LSU and GB. I think the NFCW will be one of the more competitive division races this season.

Caulibflower
03-21-2012, 03:36 AM
The seahawks have great uniforms.

Just searched the whole previous page to see what prompted this, and there was nothing. What the hell? No link to new uniforms?

Caulibflower
03-21-2012, 04:12 AM
http://deadspin.com/5894980/matt-flynn-chose-seattle-over-miami-because-the-seahawks-are-led-by-the-right-type-of-people

Comes across well. The way he describes why he wanted to go to Seattle makes me excited for this upcoming season.

SolidGold
03-21-2012, 06:41 AM
Just searched the whole previous page to see what prompted this, and there was nothing. What the hell? No link to new uniforms?

haha my bad man...it was just a random comment. I just like their current uniforms.