PDA

View Full Version : Peyton Manning=Overrated

NFLBaller
03-19-2012, 02:06 PM
Hear me out here. Manning the player i feel has become one of the most overrated Athletes in recent history. He has been put on a pedestal look at all the commercials and everybody loves good old boy Peyton but looking at the big picture and studying his career the big picture starts to unfold. In the grand scheme of things all that matters is winning. Manning has good Stats but if you look at his career on average he is one of the worst big game QB's. In a very long career he has only managed 1 Super Bowl while every year we are being told he can do it all on his own. Lets face it even in the Super Bowl he did win it was against an average Chicago Bears team lead by Rex Grossman. Not to mention all the Playoff failures and another Super Bowl loss to boot. The guy also is atrocious in cold weather maybe the worst ever and hes not very good on the Road if you look at his whole Career. Joe Montana won 4 Super Bowls while never throwing an INT in any of them. Now thats a guy that should be on a pedestal NOT Manning. Again a good QB but NOT one of the top 5 best certainly.

CashmoneyDrew
03-19-2012, 02:08 PM
Oh look, it's this thread again.

killxswitch
03-19-2012, 02:08 PM
Today I learned that NFL QBs win Super Bowls all by themselves. It doesn't matter how crappy the rest of the team is. Also, Dan Marino is terrible. I can't believe they let that loser into the Hall of Fame.

TACKLE
03-19-2012, 02:09 PM
How does he compare to Tom Brady? Who is better between the two?

ChiFan24
03-19-2012, 02:11 PM
I'd say he's like a poor man's Trent Dilfer. Good, but not quite great.

broncosfan
I'm assuming you're a bitter Chiefs fan.

Razor

There's a special place in Hell reserved for you now...

Splat
03-19-2012, 02:12 PM
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b87/Splat420/1zdqc9fjpg.gif

vidae
03-19-2012, 02:12 PM
I'm assuming you're a bitter Chiefs fan.

Why are Chiefs fans bitter? I'm not upset he isn't in KC, I just find it hilarious that you Broncos homers are already predicting SB appearances. How about you build the rest of your team first there champ.

NFLBaller
03-19-2012, 02:14 PM
Anyone care to reply to the thread? All im reading is a bunch funny remarks. Debunk this please.

jrdrylie
03-19-2012, 02:15 PM
Anyone care to reply to the thread? All im reading is a bunch funny remarks. Debunk this please.

Peyton Manning has a better quarterback rating than Tom Brady in the playoffs.

broncosfan
I'm not predicting anything, it's just the way you sound when you talk about the subject.

NFLBaller
Peyton Manning has a better quarterback rating than Tom Brady in the playoffs.

Stupid reply Brady has 3 rings to Mannings 1....next

ImBrotherCain
03-19-2012, 02:16 PM

:coolface:

Fico
03-19-2012, 02:17 PM

Mr. NFLBaller, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

vidae
03-19-2012, 02:18 PM
Mr. NFLBaller, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

When in doubt, go Billy Madison. I approve.

Hear me out here. Manning the player i feel has become one of the most overrated Athletes in recent history. He has been put on a pedestal look at all the commercials and everybody loves good old boy Peyton but looking at the big picture and studying his career the big picture starts to unfold. In the grand scheme of things all that matters is winning. Manning has good Stats but if you look at his career on average he is one of the worst big game QB's. In a very long career he has only managed 1 Super Bowl while every year we are being told he can do it all on his own. Lets face it even in the Super Bowl he did win it was against an average Chicago Bears team lead by Rex Grossman. Not to mention all the Playoff failures and another Super Bowl loss to boot. The guy also is atrocious in cold weather maybe the worst ever and hes not very good on the Road if you look at his whole Career. Joe Montana won 4 Super Bowls while never throwing an INT in any of them. Now thats a guy that should be on a pedestal NOT Manning. Again a good QB but NOT one of the top 5 best certainly.

:spam: :spam: :spam: :spam: :spam: :spam: :spam: :spam: :spam:

Steady Lurkin
Now here's a discussion I can get behind.

ALL OF TEH MANNINGFACES

http://manningface.s3.amazonaws.com/images/1195277118_sorgi_peyton.jpg

ChiFan24

You thought my remark was funny? <3

Splat
03-19-2012, 02:19 PM

Terry Bradshaw has 4 so he must be better than both of them.

NFLBaller
03-19-2012, 02:19 PM
Bottom line what has Manning done to deserve all the accolades and a 90 million dollar contract at 36?

jrdrylie
03-19-2012, 02:20 PM

I'm refuting your statement that Manning is one of the worst big game QBs. By your logic Trent Dilfer has 1 ring to Marino's 0 so obviously Dilfer is the superior QB.

ImBrotherCain
03-19-2012, 02:20 PM
Can we seriously just ban this guy already? Something tells me he isn't going to be a valued poster.

:ban:

Leo
03-19-2012, 02:21 PM
Stupid reply Brady has 3 rings to Mannings 1....nextEli is 2-0 vs. Brady in SB. Is he a better QB?

Stupid thread. Manning is not overrated. Football is a team sport.

Steady Lurkin
03-19-2012, 02:22 PM
If you need 6 passing TDs against a bad secondary in October, PEYTON MANNING IS YOUR GUY.

killxswitch
03-19-2012, 02:23 PM
Pie vs. cake. Assuming cheesecake actually counts as cake, I say cake wins.

TACKLE
03-19-2012, 02:26 PM
If you need 6 passing TDs against a bad secondary in October, PEYTON MANNING IS YOUR GUY.

NFLBaller
03-19-2012, 02:29 PM

Bingo :helmet:

Bulldogs
OP is clearly a troll who joined solely to get under your skin.

Hurricanes25

Sign me up. Most good QB's won't throw 6 TD passes against a bad secondary in October.

jrdrylie
03-19-2012, 02:30 PM
Bottom line what has Manning done to deserve all the accolades and a 90 million dollar contract at 36?

The better question is what has Michael Vick done to deserve 2 $100 million contracts? Let's debate that.

StickSkills
03-19-2012, 02:31 PM

Not Matt Flynn?

NFLBaller
03-19-2012, 02:35 PM
Manning should have won 3-4 Super Bowls 1 is an underwhelming number for a guy marketed like he is.

Bulldogs
03-19-2012, 02:38 PM
Manning should have won 3-4 Super Bowls 1 is an underwhelming number for a guy marketed like he is.

Breed? Have you returned to me my darling?

Thunder&Lightning
03-19-2012, 02:44 PM
Your acting like winning a super bowl is easy. And all those cliche arguments you just made are pretty much the only arguments there are. If not winning a 2nd super bowl is a knock... than shame on you

and

Just shut up.

FUNBUNCHER
03-19-2012, 02:46 PM
Peyton plays tight in big games, still. Doesn't mean he isn't a great QB, because he is. Or was. We'll know in September.

Personally I think he should have won more rings, but it's kind of silly to argue against his excellence. You have to make it to the postseason to come up short, and from September to December, it's hard to argue there's ever been a better QB to play in the NFL.

Your entire argument for Peyton Manning being overrated IMO can't be his lack of SB rings. IMO that would be like saying Brady is overrated because he never led the Pats on a game winning TD drive in the SB.

NFLBaller
03-19-2012, 02:50 PM
How can people claim Manning is the best ever when Joe Montana won 4 Super Bowls and never threw an INT in any of them?

Thunder&Lightning
03-19-2012, 02:51 PM
How can people claim Manning is the best ever when Joe Montana won 4 Super Bowls and never threw an INT in any of them?

I dont think anyone here thinks he is the best ever... The best quarterback to ever hit the free agent market? Yes.

CDCB14
03-19-2012, 03:01 PM
I really think people should sit back and think about it before just making jokes because everyone assumes Peyton Manning is a God.

There are some valid points against Manning's "undeniable greatness." He has the most one and done's of all time for a QB (tied with Warren Moon) which people tend to over look. I don't care if the Colts defenses have sucked over the years, he also had Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison, Dallas Clark, and Edgerrin James all in their primes and an OL that never got him touched and only won one ring in like 10 playoff appearances. Something is wrong there. Not to mention his general manager got the rules changed to HELP HIM WIN.

Also, ESPN's love fest over him probably has some fans tired of Manning, not just through this free agency but throughout his entire career. I don't give a **** if the dude wants to look cool on TV and talk for 5 minutes before every snap... the play either works or it doesn't. Every QB makes audibles. The media giving him a blow job over being such a "student of the game" and all that is garbage and old news. Cool story bro they all change the play or call a hot route.

He's an obvious first ballot HOFer and will always be remembered, but for a guy who went 1/10 in the playoffs he does get a bit too much love. I compare him to Romo a lot. Romo is an amazing regular season and stats QB who gets creamed for not winning in the playoffs, what's the difference with Manning? Why is he such a God and Romo is a *** who everyone hates? I know it's because he plays for the Cowboys, but this is Romo's 5th year starting, Manning didn't win until his 8th season.

1 for 10.... dude deserves a bit more criticism.

NFLBaller
03-19-2012, 03:09 PM
I really think people should sit back and think about it before just making jokes because everyone assumes Peyton Manning is a God.

There are some valid points against Manning's "undeniable greatness." He has the most one and done's of all time for a QB (tied with Warren Moon) which people tend to over look. I don't care if the Colts defenses have sucked over the years, he also had Reggie Wayne, Marvin Harrison, Dallas Clark, and Edgerrin James all in their primes and an OL that never got him touched and only won one ring in like 10 playoff appearances. Something is wrong there. Not to mention his general manager got the rules changed to HELP HIM WIN.

Also, ESPN's love fest over him probably has some fans tired of Manning, not just through this free agency but throughout his entire career. I don't give a **** if the dude wants to look cool on TV and talk for 5 minutes before every snap... the play either works or it doesn't. Every QB makes audibles. The media giving him a blow job over being such a "student of the game" and all that is garbage and old news. Cool story bro they all change the play or call a hot route.

He's an obvious first ballot HOFer and will always be remembered, but for a guy who went 1/10 in the playoffs he does get a bit too much love. I compare him to Romo a lot. Romo is an amazing regular season and stats QB who gets creamed for not winning in the playoffs, what's the difference with Manning? Why is he such a God and Romo is a *** who everyone hates? I know it's because he plays for the Cowboys, but this is Romo's 5th year starting, Manning didn't win until his 8th season.

Someone finally with a Brain.

fear the elf
03-19-2012, 03:11 PM

You're focusing too much on the 1 and not enough on the 10...

Steady Lurkin
03-19-2012, 03:18 PM
Peyton Manning=Kevin Garnett

Brothgar
03-19-2012, 03:19 PM

Yeah those 4 MVP awards (most ever) are just jokes.

NFLBaller
03-19-2012, 03:20 PM
Yeah those 4 MVP awards (most ever) are just jokes.

Shouldnt have won 3 of those

nepg
03-19-2012, 03:25 PM
I'm not predicting anything, it's just the way you sound when you talk about the subject.
How does one decipher inflection of another through text? Genius broncosfan.

LonghornsLegend

This was pure gold right here....

Seamus2602

So in trying to decide who is the better player you ignore the rating that is based on individual performance (however flawed) and instead focus on the the stat that is based entirely on the performance of the team as a whole?

And you are actually calling other people stupid?

descendency
03-19-2012, 03:26 PM
Manning is due for another "down" year (given his high standards, that's not unimaginable).

1) He hasn't played football in a year
2) He just had major surgery and hasn't totally recovered yet (and may never)
3) He's going to be playing the bulk of his games outdoors (his career numbers are marginally better in a dome, like 99% of QBs)
4) He's 36.
5) He'll see a lot of 34 teams and the Chargers , whom have routinely been his nemesis over the last few years, twice a year.
6) The offensive talent in Indianapolis was better than the talent in Denver (assuming it doesn't get a lot better in the remainder of the off season).

And he'll still be a top 10 QB in the NFL. Probably top 5.

Call that overrated or whatever.

falloutboy14
03-19-2012, 03:32 PM
The O-line n Denver is significantly better though, as well as a defense as a whole. He won't be called upon to pull a win out of is back-side on a weekly basis. He might have a down year but the Broncos will be less reliant on him too.

Caulibflower
03-19-2012, 03:34 PM
Sign me up. Most good QB's won't throw 6 TD passes against a bad secondary in October.

MATT FLYNN DID IT IN DECEMBER WOOOOOOO SEATTLE GOT THE BEST QUARTERBACK.

/goes back to real threads.

SuperPacker
03-19-2012, 03:38 PM
We should just ban this guy before he becomes another JBCX!

jrdrylie
03-19-2012, 03:39 PM
We should just ban this guy before he becomes another JBCX!

I loved JBCX.

PackerLegend
03-19-2012, 03:56 PM
Overrated? No... He has earned all the praise he has received. He might not have all the rings but the guy is easily one of the best all time.

Now if people are expecting to see the MVP Manning in Denver... Theres a good chance we wont and may never will. He should still be good just not as great as he once was.

vidae
03-19-2012, 03:59 PM
I have nothing more to add here, so I'm going to post a bunch of dogs. Come at me.

:smugdog: :smugdog: :smugdog: :smugdog: :smugdog: :smugdog: :smugdog: :smugdog: :smugdog: :smugdog: :smugdog: :smugdog: :smugdog: :smugdog: :smugdog: :smugdog: :smugdog: :smugdog: :smugdog: :smugdog: :smugdog: :smugdog: :smugdog: :smugdog: :smugdog: :smugdog: :smugdog: :smugdog:

Caulibflower
03-19-2012, 04:31 PM
I have nothing more to add here, so I'm going to post a bunch of dogs. Come at me.

:smugdog: :smugdog: :smugdog: :smugdog: :smugdog: :smugdog: :smugdog: :smugdog: :smugdog: :smugdog: :smugdog: :smugdog: :smugdog: :smugdog: :smugdog: :smugdog: :smugdog: :smugdog: :smugdog: :smugdog: :smugdog: :smugdog: :smugdog: :smugdog: :smugdog: :smugdog: :smugdog: :smugdog:

You're ruining this forum!

killxswitch
03-19-2012, 05:36 PM
:lynched: :lynched: :lynched: :lynched: :lynched: :lynched: :lynched: :lynched: :lynched: :lynched: :lynched: :lynched: :lynched: :lynched: :lynched: :lynched: :lynched: :lynched: :lynched: :lynched::lynched: :lynched: :lynched: :lynched: :lynched: :lynched: :lynched: :lynched: :lynched: :lynched: :lynched: :lynched: :lynched: :lynched: :lynched: :lynched:

Steady Lurkin
03-19-2012, 05:45 PM
:helmet: <---Better playoff QB than Peyton Manning

niel89
03-19-2012, 05:49 PM
You're focusing too much on the 1 and not enough on the 10...

Honestly. Peyton isn't the best playoffs QB but at least Playoffs were a guarantee every season. 11 out of 13 seasons were playoff seasos.

WCH
03-19-2012, 06:03 PM
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/257/264/5e2.jpg

cmarq83
03-19-2012, 06:16 PM

Not sure if joking, or if JMike has hacked onto Tackle's account.

Splat
03-19-2012, 06:29 PM
Peyton isn't the best playoffs QB but at least Playoffs were a guarantee every season. 11 out of 13 seasons were playoff seasons.

It's a shame he never had Marty Schottenheimer as a HC.

descendency
03-19-2012, 06:50 PM
I just thought of the perfect sports analogy (ok, anything with NASCAR sucks, but the analogy is perfect).

Tom Brady is like Jimmy Johnson (http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/dBYqnMM6GG9/2010+Sprint+Cup+Series+Championship+Trophy/jinnmct6H9I/Jimmie+Johnson). Peyton Manning is like Danica Patrick (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UI2TRIVA7Tc).

Rosebud
03-19-2012, 07:10 PM
Can we seriously just ban this guy already? Something tells me he isn't going to be a valued poster.

:ban:

Never underestimate troll potential, kid still needs to learn from the classics before he can truly innovate.

Rosebud
03-19-2012, 07:12 PM
I loved JBCX.

I wish we could've seen what this playoff run did to the poor little guy.

Rosebud
03-19-2012, 08:00 PM

For realz, can't even beat out a scrub like Tom Brady and his vastly more well coached and better put together teams.

Rosebud
03-19-2012, 08:06 PM
look, it's pretty clear that peyton manning is basically heath shuler with a better supporting cast. everyone should stop kidding themselves because someone created a duplicate account to troll the board with told us how it is.

lol Broncos homer, Peyton wishes he were Heath Shuler, if he didn't get to beat up on you guys in the first round his playoff #s would be pathetic...

WCH
03-19-2012, 08:09 PM
look, it's pretty clear that peyton manning is basically heath shuler with a better supporting cast. everyone should stop kidding themselves because someone created a duplicate account to troll the board with told us how it is.

http://shuler.house.gov/

Pfffft...Peyton couldn't even BEGIN to handle the pressure that Heath Shuler has to deal with everyday. A quick glance at wikipedia taught me that Heath Shuler is a "Whip of the Blue Dog Coalition," for crying out loud! I don't know what that means, exactly, but it sounds a lot different than "Quarterback of the Denver Broncos."

WCH
03-19-2012, 10:22 PM
Don't feel bad. I knew that he ran and was elected back in 2006, but I had no idea that he's been reelected twice. Apparently, North Carolina's 11th District loves him...they obviously never watched him play Quarterback.

Monomach
03-20-2012, 02:46 AM
David Hasselhoff has a puppy on his sperminator. Your argument is invalid.

http://oi43.tinypic.com/245cyv7.jpg

Denver Bronco56
03-22-2012, 03:47 PM
Can you name another 4 time NFL MVP?

Raiderz4Life
03-22-2012, 03:53 PM
Tim Tebow?

descendency
03-22-2012, 06:57 PM
Can you name another 4 time NFL MVP?

Clearly, then he's the most overrated 4 time MVP, ever.

OzTitan
03-22-2012, 11:07 PM
There was a time when Peyton looked very different from regular season to playoffs (unless he was playing the Broncos, ironically enough). The stats showed it clearly. More recently he has done better in the playoffs and it isn't so big a distinction anymore. Before the SB though, Marino comparisons were being made.

One thing about Peyton is he seems to oddly lack those super clutch, career defining highlight reel plays that so often become associated with HOF QBs. Maybe I'm just missing some, but what will we see on his highlight reel when we're discussing his HOF induction? I suspect a bunch of TD passes that mostly all look similar, usually in the bland perfection that is the weather of the Indy dome. He made them look so easy, after all.

It's almost like he executes so precisely and perfectly, he has robbed himself of clutch off the cuff moments. Everything is so deliberately planned that it either works like clock work, or doesn't work at all. I recall an article touching on this, and how once the playoffs come around it is very difficult to be an elite QB and an elite OC at the same time - perhaps another reason why the playoffs haven't been as kind to Peyton.

Regardless of his lack of multiple SB wins though, I don't think anyone has done it quite like Peyton. No QB has been this mechanical. Some capture the admiration of fans due to their exciting and heroic play, but Peyton has done it a slightly different way - by being damn near perfect, at least enough to make it practicaly unprecedented, especially in the regular season.

FUNBUNCHER
03-23-2012, 05:04 AM
Peyton won't win another SB.

yodabear
03-25-2012, 09:31 PM
There's a special place in Hell reserved for you now...

This thread is dumb, so I am changing subjects...ur sig gives me an urge to masterbade.

Halsey
03-26-2012, 01:33 AM
People who act like winning one Super Bowl is no big deal have probably never accomplished anything in their life. They have no concept of what it takes to make it as a QB in the NFL, much less win a Super Bowl. Therer are many many talented dudes out there competing just to get a shot at the NFL. One of them a year gets to start at QB for a Super Bowl winning team. Only somewhere around 35 dudes to ever walk the planet have started in a Super Bowl at QB and won.

ebmi23
03-26-2012, 02:54 AM
Yeah Peyton is just average.....so is Brett Favre....and by the way: Dan Marino totally sucked!!!

edit: forgot about Elway: he lost more SBs than he won, so he sucked too...

General Zod
03-26-2012, 04:12 AM
um, is this thread for real? lol