PDA

View Full Version : Your Cowboys Mocks Thread

D-Unit
03-30-2012, 01:20 PM
I think things would be a lot more organized around here if we had a thread simply dedicated to our mocks. Making them is one of the funnest things to do, and it's a waste to see them get lost in our daily draft discussions, so I thought this would be a good idea. Makes it easier for us to look back on... and we can have fun with this.

So if you got one... Post it here and we can all comment.

TheFinisher
04-01-2012, 08:14 AM
Ok, I'll give it a go.

Trade pick #14 to TEN for picks #20 and #82

20. Stephon Gilmore | CB | South Carolina

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/theitem.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/f/18/f18ebc20-1456-11e1-93d4-001cc4c002e0/4eca709909e56.image.jpg

Trade Mike Jenkins to Buffalo for pick #41

41. Brandon Thompson | DT | Clemson

http://media.orangeandwhite.com/media/img/photos/2011/08/05/SCAND108_t607.jpg

45. Ronnell Lewis | OLB | Oklahoma

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/0906/rn_i_ronnelllewis_2_ms_600.jpg

81. Philip Blake | C | Baylor

http://cfl.uploads.mrx.ca/league/images/en/inside/2011/03/Philip_Blake_Action_13207.jpg

82. Casey Hayward | CB | Vanderbilt

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_assets/993165/casey-hayward.jpg

113. Cyrus Gray | RB | Texas A&M

http://www.thomasgcampbell.com/Sports/Football/huskersaggies/tamu-nebraska-fb-2010-007/1100114488_yze6t-L.jpg

135. Ryan Broyles | WR | Oklahoma

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/1012/pictures-of-the-year.1/images/320001100904_Utah_St_v_Oklahoma.jpg

152. Emmanuel Acho | ILB | Texas

http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I0000rkRYpYPExjk/s/750/750/acho-emmanuel-p1001-fau.jpg

186. Ron Brooks | CB | LSU

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-mOU74UKNwtE/TqYYQlVAInI/AAAAAAAADdY/R3hhd6XV7wo/s1600/matthieu%2527s%2Bbackup.jpg

222. Johnny Thomas | SS | Oklahoma St.

http://media.commercialappeal.com/media/img/photos/2010/01/02/Cotton_Bowl_Football(4)_t607.JPG

Notes:

-I think our struggles at CB last season really stopped Rob from being as aggressive as he wanted to be. Knowing that, I committed to a total facelift at the position replacing Mike Jenkins, Terence Newman, Alan Ball and Frank Walker with Brandon Carr, Stephon Gilmore, Casey Hayward and Ron Brooks. It gives Rob the talented backend that he's desired everywhere he's been.

- Brandon Thompson seems to be slipping into the 2nd Round and I'd love for him to slide all the way to us because he's a stud. I see him as being the longterm solution at NT but with Rob running so many different fronts he can use a guy like Thompson who can play in both an odd and even front. I even think he's versatile enough to see snaps at 5T.

- Gray is one of those "jack of all trades" runners that Garrett seems to covet. He can run inside or outside, catch the ball out of the backfield, and block. It's almost a given at this point in his career that Felix is guaranteed to miss time and Demarco isn't necessarily a pilar of health himself. Gray is someone that can step right in as the 2 back if either of them goes down while also giving us another option as a return man.

Matthew Jones
04-01-2012, 11:18 AM
I'll give it a shot:

1. DT Michael Brockers, Louisiana St.**

Dallas has been very interested in Brockers throughout the pre-draft process and could replace or compliment Marcus Spears with a similar player in Brockers.

2. CB Trumaine Johnson, Montana

Mike Jenkins is likely gone at the end of the season but Dallas' heavy investments in Carr and Scandrick should prevent a first-round cornerback; Trumaine Johnson is a tall CB/S tweener who could replace Jenkins outside.

3. DE Jake Bequette, Arkansas

Anthony Spencer may not be extended past this season and is currently overpaid; Jerry Jones may not be able to resist drafting a Razorback at some point.

4. C Michael Brewster, Ohio St.

Phil Costa is undersized and player very poorly last season so drafting a center should be a priority; Dallas may have to trade around to land Peter Konz or reach on Ben Jones in the second otherwise.

4. (comp.) FS Brandon Taylor, Louisiana St.

Despite signing Brodney Pool the Cowboys could still stand to upgrade in the secondary; Taylor is a feisty, aggressive safety who has been moving up draft boards as of late.

5. OG Ryan Miller, Colorado

Last season it was heavily rumored that Dallas liked Nate Solder, which means they are at least somewhat familiar with Miller; the Cowboys cut Kyle Kosier and their FA signings won't prevent them from looking at OL depth.

6. TE Rhett Ellison, Southern California

A tight end such as Rhett Ellison could be a possibility now that Martellus Bennett is in New York; Ellison can play FB as well as TE and is a quality blocker.

7. LB Jerry Franklin, Arkansas

Tramain Thomas would have been a strong consideration but Jerry Franklin has more intriguing physical tools; he would be an interesting option late in the draft despite the Sean Lee signing.

D-Unit
04-01-2012, 01:02 PM
A lot of nice players in that mock Finisher. But 10 new players from the draft added to our 53 man roster sounds like a lot. Ha ha.

Favorite picks were Hayward, Blake and Brooks.

Brockers is a guy I like ROP. Like Johnson too. Bequette seems like a reach that early... but overall that is a draft that covers our needs if those players pan out. I like Ellison that late, but I think the Boys will be looking for more of a pass catcher than blocker at TE. Just my opinion there though.

leroyisgod
04-01-2012, 01:53 PM
@ TheFinisher- I'd be extremely pleased with that draft.

Trogdor
04-01-2012, 09:43 PM
Projecting one trade since repeatedly doing the standard form is putting me to sleep :D

Projecting DeCastro falls to 14 and Dallas fields numerous calls from teams looking to pick him up. Or will we take him?

With the 14th selection in the 2012 NFL draft... The Dallas Cowboys have traded the 14th pick and the 186th pick to the Cincinnati Bengals for the 17th and 83rd selections. The Bengals look to solidify their interior line and made an offer good enough to allow the 'Boys to pass on the blue chip guard.

Onto the mock.

17) Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina
I'm am 100% in Gilmore's corner as the #2 corner and agree completely with Mayock. Tall corners who run 4.4s and have elite ball-skills are RARE. I honestly am mocking him here since his value is here but expect that he may be off the board even before 14 come the draft day.

45. Kevin Zeitler, OG, Wisconsin
Not positive he'll be here but I think higher ceiling guys like Amini and Osemele will push him down slightly. I love his versatility and that fits with our goals on the line (being able to play multiple positions). I would predict that he outright wins the competition for Center year 1.

81.Trumaine Johnson, CB, Montana
Think the value is solid for Johnson whom I project as a CB to FS project. Excellent range and would provide the centerfielding FS that our defense has lacked for years.

83. (From Cincy). Billy Winn, DE, Boise State
Believe he has a lot of untapped position and his combination of anchor in the running game and pass rushing ability would make him a solid fit for Rob. He could easily be stout on the outside of the 3-4 and shoot the gaps as a pass rusher when we show an even front.

113. Jake Bequette, DE, Arkansas
High motor and solid run guy with a "good" repertoire of pass rushing moves. Isn't an elite athlete but is consistently a thorn in the opposition's side. Meets or exceeds all categories (as discussed before) for explosion and power for 3-4 OLBs.

135. (Comp) Emmanuel Acho, ILB, Texas
Plus instincts and versatility (seeing a pattern? :D). Played inside and outside at Texas but will slightly be an ILB for us. Does very well sitting back in a zone although not the quickest in terms of playing man. Excellent job shedding blocks and shooting gaps in the interior line.

152. Aaron Henry, FS, Wisconsin
Still learning but has the skill-set to be a rangy FS. Former CB convert and packs a punch when attacking the line in run support.

Stopping at round 5 since it's really, really, really hard to project the last two and not pick a UDFA or a guy who will end up in the 3rd.

pocketaces
04-01-2012, 09:51 PM
Personally Ill be a little disappointed with a 1st round corner. We have 3 really good ones and this is a deep class for corners. I want pass rushers, hopefully one in the first. Just my opinion though...

StickSkills
04-01-2012, 09:56 PM
Finisher, thats a lot of Big XII players there along with a nearby LSU player.

D-Unit
04-01-2012, 10:01 PM
Are you guys hearing that Gilmore is liked by the Cowboys or just going off recent remarks of him rising up the boards? In either case, he's a guy I like but not love. I'd really like a guy to have the potential to be a #1 CB if we're drafting him in round 1. I think #2 CBs can be found later in the draft pretty easily.

Zeitler available to us in Round 2 is pretty hopeful. That'd be great though.

Trumaine Johnson seems to have a lot of fans here, so if we got him, I think a lot of people here will certainly be thrilled. Not sure he fits the character check that Garrett is looking for since he got kicked off the team.

Matthew Jones
04-01-2012, 10:22 PM
To be honest many of the players in my mock seem like a reach but I wouldn't put it past Jerry Jones to draft any of them there. Jake Bequette should go in the fifth round or so along with Brandon Taylor, and Trumaine Johnson is a terrible form tackler (more of a "torpedo at the legs" guy.) I was aiming for realism rather than my personal tastes.

D-Ware Nightmare
04-02-2012, 04:40 AM
Projecting one trade since repeatedly doing the standard form is putting me to sleep :D

Projecting DeCastro falls to 14 and Dallas fields numerous calls from teams looking to pick him up. Or will we take him?

With the 14th selection in the 2012 NFL draft... The Dallas Cowboys have traded the 14th pick and the 186th pick to the Cincinnati Bengals for the 17th and 83rd selections. The Bengals look to solidify their interior line and made an offer good enough to allow the 'Boys to pass on the blue chip guard.

Onto the mock.

17) Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina
I'm am 100% in Gilmore's corner as the #2 corner and agree completely with Mayock. Tall corners who run 4.4s and have elite ball-skills are RARE. I honestly am mocking him here since his value is here but expect that he may be off the board even before 14 come the draft day.

45. Kevin Zeitler, OG, Wisconsin
Not positive he'll be here but I think higher ceiling guys like Amini and Osemele will push him down slightly. I love his versatility and that fits with our goals on the line (being able to play multiple positions). I would predict that he outright wins the competition for Center year 1.

81.Trumaine Johnson, CB, Montana
Think the value is solid for Johnson whom I project as a CB to FS project. Excellent range and would provide the centerfielding FS that our defense has lacked for years.

83. (From Cincy). Billy Winn, DE, Boise State
Believe he has a lot of untapped position and his combination of anchor in the running game and pass rushing ability would make him a solid fit for Rob. He could easily be stout on the outside of the 3-4 and shoot the gaps as a pass rusher when we show an even front.

113. Jake Bequette, DE, Arkansas
High motor and solid run guy with a "good" repertoire of pass rushing moves. Isn't an elite athlete but is consistently a thorn in the opposition's side. Meets or exceeds all categories (as discussed before) for explosion and power for 3-4 OLBs.

135. (Comp) Emmanuel Acho, ILB, Texas
Plus instincts and versatility (seeing a pattern? :D). Played inside and outside at Texas but will slightly be an ILB for us. Does very well sitting back in a zone although not the quickest in terms of playing man. Excellent job shedding blocks and shooting gaps in the interior line.

152. Aaron Henry, FS, Wisconsin
Still learning but has the skill-set to be a rangy FS. Former CB convert and packs a punch when attacking the line in run support.

Stopping at round 5 since it's really, really, really hard to project the last two and not pick a UDFA or a guy who will end up in the 3rd.

I would **** a brick if this played out. :banana:

Witten4HOF
04-02-2012, 05:00 AM
anyone else see some Asante Samuel in Gilmore ? I think he is a guy who can jump routes and get INT's but will get his share of burn by upper tier WR's.

UTPATS
04-02-2012, 08:15 AM
Bequette will go well before the 5th...

Trogdor
04-02-2012, 08:19 AM
Are you guys hearing that Gilmore is liked by the Cowboys or just going off recent remarks of him rising up the boards? In either case, he's a guy I like but not love. I'd really like a guy to have the potential to be a #1 CB if we're drafting him in round 1. I think #2 CBs can be found later in the draft pretty easily.

Zeitler available to us in Round 2 is pretty hopeful. That'd be great though.

Trumaine Johnson seems to have a lot of fans here, so if we got him, I think a lot of people here will certainly be thrilled. Not sure he fits the character check that Garrett is looking for since he got kicked off the team.

I agree with the character concerns I had only really noticed his incident trying to prevent police from arresting a friend (dumb). He plead guilty and from all the interviews I read has "learned from the incident". Completely missed some of his other transgressions so you are 100% right on that. I highly doubt he's even on our board now. Good catch ^_^

As far as Gilmore I see him as a turnover machine especially when playing opposite a legit corner like Carr. In this scenario I'm envisioning the 'Boys allow Jenkins to walk at the end of his contract.

To be honest many of the players in my mock seem like a reach but I wouldn't put it past Jerry Jones to draft any of them there. Jake Bequette should go in the fifth round or so along with Brandon Taylor, and Trumaine Johnson is a terrible form tackler (more of a "torpedo at the legs" guy.) I was aiming for realism rather than my personal tastes.

Jake Bequette won't be available in the 5th. His value lies somewhere between late 2nd and late 4th depending on who you talk to. Why the knocks on Jerry? He doesn't control the draft room as has been discussed NUMEROUS times on here. Drafts are based on consensus and the room votes. Jerry by all accounts ALWAYS champions the guy who our scouting staff wants.

People bash just to bash. Remember the "Jerrah wants to draft his fellow alumni". He's drafted ONE player from Arkansas. :P And don't get me wrong I love Jerry as a business-man but also enjoy that Stephen (his son) is finally taking some of the power from the old man.

Dallas hasn't done any stupid reaching since the "draft that shall not be named" aka "draft for depth" aka :facepalm:

Grizzlegom
04-02-2012, 08:38 AM
I did a seven round mock, just wanted to throw it up for you guys to see/comment on the Dallas part!

14. Dallas Cowboys - Melvin Ingram, OLB, South Carolina
45. Dallas Cowboys - Kevin Zeitler, OG, Wisconsin
81. Dallas Cowboys - Billy Winn, DE, Boise State
113. Dallas Cowboys - Jamell Fleming, CB, Oklahoma
135. Dallas Cowboys (compensatory) - Dwight Jones, WR, North Carolina
152. Dallas Cowboys - Kevin Koger, TE, Michigan
186. Dallas Cowboys - Tramain Thomas, FS, Arkansas
222. Dallas Cowboys - David Snow, C, Texas

CowboysBeastMode
04-02-2012, 08:55 AM
Ok, I'll give it a go.

Trade pick #14 to TEN for picks #20 and #82

20. Stephon Gilmore | CB | South Carolina

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/theitem.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/f/18/f18ebc20-1456-11e1-93d4-001cc4c002e0/4eca709909e56.image.jpg

Trade Mike Jenkins to Buffalo for pick #41

41. Brandon Thompson | DT | Clemson

http://media.orangeandwhite.com/media/img/photos/2011/08/05/SCAND108_t607.jpg

45. Ronnell Lewis | OLB | Oklahoma

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/0906/rn_i_ronnelllewis_2_ms_600.jpg

81. Philip Blake | C | Baylor

http://cfl.uploads.mrx.ca/league/images/en/inside/2011/03/Philip_Blake_Action_13207.jpg

82. Casey Hayward | CB | Vanderbilt

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_assets/993165/casey-hayward.jpg

113. Cyrus Gray | RB | Texas A&M

http://www.thomasgcampbell.com/Sports/Football/huskersaggies/tamu-nebraska-fb-2010-007/1100114488_yze6t-L.jpg

135. Ryan Broyles | WR | Oklahoma

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/1012/pictures-of-the-year.1/images/320001100904_Utah_St_v_Oklahoma.jpg

152. Emmanuel Acho | ILB | Texas

http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I0000rkRYpYPExjk/s/750/750/acho-emmanuel-p1001-fau.jpg

186. Ron Brooks | CB | LSU

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-mOU74UKNwtE/TqYYQlVAInI/AAAAAAAADdY/R3hhd6XV7wo/s1600/matthieu%2527s%2Bbackup.jpg

222. Johnny Thomas | SS | Oklahoma St.

http://media.commercialappeal.com/media/img/photos/2010/01/02/Cotton_Bowl_Football(4)_t607.JPG

Notes:

-I think our struggles at CB last season really stopped Rob from being as aggressive as he wanted to be. Knowing that, I committed to a total facelift at the position replacing Mike Jenkins, Terence Newman, Alan Ball and Frank Walker with Brandon Carr, Stephon Gilmore, Casey Hayward and Ron Brooks. It gives Rob the talented backend that he's desired everywhere he's been.

- Brandon Thompson seems to be slipping into the 2nd Round and I'd love for him to slide all the way to us because he's a stud. I see him as being the longterm solution at NT but with Rob running so many different fronts he can use a guy like Thompson who can play in both an odd and even front. I even think he's versatile enough to see snaps at 5T.

- Gray is one of those "jack of all trades" runners that Garrett seems to covet. He can run inside or outside, catch the ball out of the backfield, and block. It's almost a given at this point in his career that Felix is guaranteed to miss time and Demarco isn't necessarily a pilar of health himself. Gray is someone that can step right in as the 2 back if either of them goes down while also giving us another option as a return man.i like the draft overall but no way buffalo is gonna trade a 2 for jenkins

UTPATS
04-02-2012, 09:19 AM
I did a seven round mock, just wanted to throw it up for you guys to see/comment on the Dallas part!

Doubt we are that lucky but I would be plenty happy with this draft...

Witten4HOF
04-02-2012, 12:10 PM
* Cowboys trade #14 overall, along with Felix Jones, Mike Jenkins, and a 2013 4th round selection to the Cleveland Browns for #4 overall.

* The Cowboys are able to maneuver up the board and select the #1 available player on their board for a discount price. While talented, Mike Jenkins has an undefined role on the team with the addition of Carr and the money invested in Orlando Scandrick. The same can be said for Felix who was supplanted by DeMarco Murray on the depth chart. Both players are in the last years of their contract and may not have been retained coming into the 2013 season. Tossing in a 2013 4th round pick was just the icing on the cake to tip the scales in Dallas's favor.

*Cleveland is in a bind sitting at #4, clearly the team isn't enamoured with the play of Colt McCoy so far in his young career, but drafting a project in Ryan Tannehill so high isn't the solution. Trent Richardson is the type of back that fits into the smash mouth AFC North and is EXTREMELY talanted but with diminished value of running backs due to longevity concerns makes a pick that high risky. With this trade the Browns gain a homerun threat in Felix to pair with a healty Montario Hardesty and a Pro Bowl Talent (when healthy) Mike Jenkins to pair with Joe Haden. At #14 there are plenty of players for the Browns to target to improve their offense... Guys like Floyd, Wright, and DeCastro could all be available in that range.

#4 VIA/ CLV- Mo Claiborne CB, LSU- Claiborne is hands down the best coverman in the draft. His skills put him ahead of the curve when compared to former teammate Patrick Peterson and his combination of size/fluidity put him above Kirkpatrick and Jenkins. With the league trending toward spread offense's, three starter quality corners is becoming a neccesity. Having Scandrick locked into a 5 year deal is a plus to let Mo develop year one and his contract is reasonable enough to suffice nickle duty. (Although I believe Scandrick is a better fit on the outside, Claiborne has more than enough ability to shift inside in sub packages ala Newman in his prime.)

#45 Bruce Irvin OLB, WV- Irvin has been plagued with character related issues but has rare measurables and the ability to become elite. JG and the team have done their homework on the troubled kid and feel they can help him work through his issues. High risk/reward pick, will start as a situational pass rusher but will be groomed to play across from Ware.

#81 Brandon Brooks G, Miami (OH) Tested extremely well for his size at the combine... 6'5 350 lbs with excellent strength and solid mobility allows him to plow lanes to the second level. Needs to work on his technique.. often explodes off the ball but gets caught with his weight out in front of his feet. Long term successor for Livings.

#113 traded to the Browns

#135 Justin Bethel S, Presbyterian Small school sleeper, can play either FS or FS. Ran a 4.58 at the combine and posted a 39.5 inch vert... makes an effort to spy the QB in zone coverage and will gamble to get his hands on a turnover.

#152 Akiem Hicks DE, Regina Poor Mans Michael Brockers... Very good size for a 5tech and has good short area explosion to knife into the backfield. Never palyed against top tier competition after being dismissed from LSU for taking money from a booster. Boom or Bust type of prospect but in the 5th round the value is worth the risk.

#186 Coty Sensabaugh CB, Clemson Very good measurables but doesnt always play to his timed speed. A tad late following WR's in and out of breaks and can get lost in off coverage. Not a good tackler.... At his best in press coverage where he can reroute and have a feel for the WR's movements.

#222 Jordan White WR, Western Michigan Perfectly built to play in the slot... has the vision to read zone coverage and has the strength to break tackles on crossing routes. Will fight for a for extra yardage and has good speed when in the open field.

D-Unit
04-02-2012, 01:23 PM
* Cowboys trade #14 overall, along with Felix Jones, Mike Jenkins, and a 2013 4th round selection to the Cleveland Browns for #4 overall.

* The Cowboys are able to maneuver up the board and select the #1 available player on their board for a discount price. While talented, Mike Jenkins has an undefined role on the team with the addition of Carr and the money invested in Orlando Scandrick. The same can be said for Felix who was supplanted by DeMarco Murray on the depth chart. Both players are in the last years of their contract and may not have been retained coming into the 2013 season. Tossing in a 2013 4th round pick was just the icing on the cake to tip the scales in Dallas's favor.

*Cleveland is in a bind sitting at #4, clearly the team isn't enamoured with the play of Colt McCoy so far in his young career, but drafting a project in Ryan Tannehill so high isn't the solution. Trent Richardson is the type of back that fits into the smash mouth AFC North and is EXTREMELY talanted but with diminished value of running backs due to longevity concerns makes a pick that high risky. With this trade the Browns gain a homerun threat in Felix to pair with a healty Montario Hardesty and a Pro Bowl Talent (when healthy) Mike Jenkins to pair with Joe Haden. At #14 there are plenty of players for the Browns to target to improve their offense... Guys like Floyd, Wright, and DeCastro could all be available in that range.

#4 VIA/ CLV- Mo Claiborne CB, LSU- Claiborne is hands down the best coverman in the draft. His skills put him ahead of the curve when compared to former teammate Patrick Peterson and his combination of size/fluidity put him above Kirkpatrick and Jenkins. With the league trending toward spread offense's, three starter quality corners is becoming a neccesity. Having Scandrick locked into a 5 year deal is a plus to let Mo develop year one and his contract is reasonable enough to suffice nickle duty. (Although I believe Scandrick is a better fit on the outside, Claiborne has more than enough ability to shift inside in sub packages ala Newman in his prime.)

#45 Bruce Irvin OLB, WV- Irvin has been plagued with character related issues but has rare measurables and the ability to become elite. JG and the team have done their homework on the troubled kid and feel they can help him work through his issues. High risk/reward pick, will start as a situational pass rusher but will be groomed to play across from Ware.

#81 Brandon Brooks G, Miami (OH) Tested extremely well for his size at the combine... 6'5 350 lbs with excellent strength and solid mobility allows him to plow lanes to the second level. Needs to work on his technique.. often explodes off the ball but gets caught with his weight out in front of his feet. Long term successor for Livings.

#113 traded to the Browns

#135 Justin Bethel S, Presbyterian Small school sleeper, can play either FS or FS. Ran a 4.58 at the combine and posted a 39.5 inch vert... makes an effort to spy the QB in zone coverage and will gamble to get his hands on a turnover.

#152 Akiem Hicks DE, Regina Poor Mans Michael Brockers... Very good size for a 5tech and has good short area explosion to knife into the backfield. Never palyed against top tier competition after being dismissed from LSU for taking money from a booster. Boom or Bust type of prospect but in the 5th round the value is worth the risk.

#186 Coty Sensabaugh CB, Clemson Very good measurables but doesnt always play to his timed speed. A tad late following WR's in and out of breaks and can get lost in off coverage. Not a good tackler.... At his best in press coverage where he can reroute and have a feel for the WR's movements.

#222 Jordan White WR, Western Michigan Perfectly built to play in the slot... has the vision to read zone coverage and has the strength to break tackles on crossing routes. Will fight for a for extra yardage and has good speed when in the open field.
Don't like the trade, but Irvin, Brooks and Bethel are awesome picks!

D-Unit
04-02-2012, 01:24 PM

Good job for us. I think the Cowboys can do damage next year with this draft.

D-Unit
04-02-2012, 09:13 PM
Couple of you guys have Emmanuel Acho there. I know we will have him on Texas day...

Any Longhorns fans wanna share their opinions of him?

UTPATS
04-02-2012, 10:25 PM
Not the same level of prospect from UT we've seen in recent years, but a great motor and even better character. He will never be an all pro, but a solid back up and a hard working, dependable special teamer early on.

D-Unit
04-03-2012, 03:11 PM
Finisher, I noticed the pick of Brandon Thompson. What made you attracted to him? A possible NT fit for us? I've thought about that before.

D-Unit
04-03-2012, 03:12 PM
I'll give it a shot:

1. DT Michael Brockers, Louisiana St.**

Dallas has been very interested in Brockers throughout the pre-draft process and could replace or compliment Marcus Spears with a similar player in Brockers.

2. CB Trumaine Johnson, Montana

Mike Jenkins is likely gone at the end of the season but Dallas' heavy investments in Carr and Scandrick should prevent a first-round cornerback; Trumaine Johnson is a tall CB/S tweener who could replace Jenkins outside.

3. DE Jake Bequette, Arkansas

Anthony Spencer may not be extended past this season and is currently overpaid; Jerry Jones may not be able to resist drafting a Razorback at some point.

4. C Michael Brewster, Ohio St.

Phil Costa is undersized and player very poorly last season so drafting a center should be a priority; Dallas may have to trade around to land Peter Konz or reach on Ben Jones in the second otherwise.

4. (comp.) FS Brandon Taylor, Louisiana St.

Despite signing Brodney Pool the Cowboys could still stand to upgrade in the secondary; Taylor is a feisty, aggressive safety who has been moving up draft boards as of late.

5. OG Ryan Miller, Colorado

Last season it was heavily rumored that Dallas liked Nate Solder, which means they are at least somewhat familiar with Miller; the Cowboys cut Kyle Kosier and their FA signings won't prevent them from looking at OL depth.

6. TE Rhett Ellison, Southern California

A tight end such as Rhett Ellison could be a possibility now that Martellus Bennett is in New York; Ellison can play FB as well as TE and is a quality blocker.

7. LB Jerry Franklin, Arkansas

Tramain Thomas would have been a strong consideration but Jerry Franklin has more intriguing physical tools; he would be an interesting option late in the draft despite the Sean Lee signing.
As a NE fan, would you think the Patriots would trade up with the Cowboys if Brockers were available then?

Matthew Jones
04-03-2012, 03:16 PM
I hope not although Brockers is someone who fits what the Patriots look for from a size perspective and they have shown some interest in him. It's generally not Belichick's style to trade up though. There are a lot of prospects the Patriots could be interested in this year so until their ranks start getting thinned out it would be hard to imagine New England locking onto one guy.

D-Unit
04-03-2012, 03:27 PM
I hope not although Brockers is someone who fits what the Patriots look for from a size perspective and they have shown some interest in him. It's generally not Belichick's style to trade up though. There are a lot of prospects the Patriots could be interested in this year so until their ranks start getting thinned out it would be hard to imagine New England locking onto one guy.
What about Fletcher Cox? One of our Boys fans thinks he reminds them of Ty Warren. Your thoughts on that?

D-Unit
04-03-2012, 04:11 PM
I'll post a mock based off this article I read on ESPN about Garrett's desire for "hungry" players. Pretty good read.

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Jason+Garrett+Philadelphia+Eagles+v+Dallas+l69fBOA-f4Ql.jpg

"I think you can make a compelling argument that America is about the meritocracy, so if you do things the right way, you're going to succeed in this country," Garrett said. "And I think you can make an argument that the best teams do things that way. You try not to entitle people. Hopefully they earn their job, earn their position because of what they do."

"Garrett's talking about establishing a hungry culture -- an atmosphere in which no one assumes their spot on the team is safe and everyone is constantly competing to make themselves and the team better."

"One thing I know about the NFL is that there's going to be adversity," Garrett said. "And if you have the right kinds of guys on your team, you're going to be able to withstand that inevitable adversity that happens. And guys who come from those backgrounds, who have earned their way, have typically faced adversity. They've been rejected. They weren't the No. 1 recruit, so they went to this school instead of that school that maybe they wanted to go to. Or they weren't the starter right away and they kind of worked their way up the depth chart. You like guys who have had a little bit of a history dealing with some adversity, and hopefully that will reflect throughout your team during the adversities that you have over the course of the season."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/37582/jason-garrett-likes-his-cowboys-hungry

D-Unit
Round 1: Janoris Jenkins, CB - North Alabama

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/001/323/776/janorisjenkins_display_image.jpg

At pick 14, some may think this is a little high, but the reason is only because Jenkins is fighting to put his checkered history behind him... and I feel like he's taken the right steps to prove that he has. He could have easily entered the Supplemental Draft, and been labeled amongst the prior prima donnas before him who have escaped NCAA punishment to enter the NFL. But Jenkins bypassed the easy road and took the hard humiliating road by going to a small school just to prove to himself and to others that he was willing to go through the repentence process and work his way back. He removed himself from the bad crowd he was surrouned around and refocused on football. Jenkins is already a father of 4 kids and that is the kind of motivation that stirs hunger in a guy. Much more than the single bachelor life with no strings attached. If Garrett is true to his philosophy of bringing in guys who will fight when the chips are down, then Janoris Jenkins has a spot on this team.

He is imo, the best cornerback in this draft and while he could play outside or inside. I think his value to us would be best served inside (at least for now), playing one of the most difficult positions in football. Add him to the group we already got and we're in BIG BUSINESS. I keep reading about new scenarios that have us trading 14 and/or Mike Jenkins to move up for Claiborne... Heck no, this option is much better, imo.

But in speaking of Mike Jenkins... While a replacement for Spencer seems to be high on many Cowboys mocks, Mike Jenkins is basically in the same position... being on the last year of his existing contract, it's a make or break season for him as a Dallas Cowboy. So CB is equally as important as OLB in regards to the Cowboys list of "needs".

D-Unit
Round 2: Doug Martin, RB - Boise St.

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/001/583/195/103871850_display_image.jpg

Watching this guy run will stir up your soul. It's movitational, it's inspiring and it's easy to see him run with hunger in every step. Martin is the definition of what Garrett speaks of. Coming out of High School, Martin wanted to go to a big time Pac 10 school. His listed interests were in Cal, Oregon, and Washington. He also looked into Utah. But the only offers he got were from Cal Poly and Boise St. While Boise was an easy choice over Cal Poly, boy did he work hard to prove the others wrong.

Even draftniks were slow to give Martin credit even after his college career was over. It wasn't until a week ago that Mayock finally put him as his #2 RB in the draft... and yet, no one talks about him as a 1st rounder either. Obviously it takes a lot to be a 1st round RB these days, and I'm not saying he deserves it, but Doug Martin has the heart of a champion and plays with a real hunger to fight the odds. I liken him to Ray Rice. If someone told me that we could get Ray Rice in Round 2, I would easily do it. The last thing I want next year is to be at the end of the regular season and having to give Maurice Morris another call. With our stable of oft injured RBs, having a War Horse like Martin is not a luxury pick, but rather a pick fits the philosophy of BPA, need and finding players who have the ability to stand tall in the face of adversity.

D-Unit
04-03-2012, 04:12 PM
Round 3: Derek Wolfe, DE - Cincinnati

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/3554925/34534_Miami_Ohio_Cincinnati__Football.jpg

To say Derek Wolfe has battled adversity is a major understatement.

To suggest that Wolfe is the product of a broken home would be incorrect. He’s the product of a shattered home.

“I’ve never met my real father,” said Wolfe. “I couldn’t even tell you his name.”

Making matters worse, the NFL bound senior is now estranged from his mother.

“I lived with my mother only when she was married to my stepfather,” Wolfe said. “My mother married him when I was only about three months old, but after they got divorced, I moved out and lived with him.”

But that step-relationship didn’t last either. The nomadic Wolfe explained why.

Read the rest: http://cincinnati.247sports.com/Article/It-Takes-a-Pack-to-Raise-a-Wolfe-34794

Really interesting story, but it goes to show how Derek is a guy who rises in the face of adversity and criticism. Even after being a good player, he wanted to be better.

Who knows if Wolfe would have ever reached this level of interest from pro teams if not for the challenge laid out to him by Cincinnati head coach Butch Jones and his position coach Steve Stripling.

Under their guidance, Wolfe became more of a complete player on the defensive line. No longer was he taking plays off or milling around in the weight room.

Wolfe made it a point to make every workout purposeful, and, every snap.

“Coach Jones and Steve Stripling are the two guys that beat it into my head that if you want to be great, this is what you got to do,” Wolfe explained.

“And I said, ‘OK.’

“Instead of trying to figure out my own way to do it, I just took their advice. Everything I did in the weight room and training-wise, boxing, all the hip-mobility stuff, everything I did just kind of came together for me my senior year.”

Read More: http://www.49ers.com/news-and-events/article-2/49-in-49-DT-Derek-Wolfe/62c6d749-2530-4a2b-8500-d8deb950094f

D-Unit
04-03-2012, 04:13 PM
Round 4: David Molk, C - Michigan

http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/znSW4S7nZp8T8Lnq2SwdZQ--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTMxMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/sptusnflexperts/David-Molk-Getty-Images.jpg

David Molk knows all about fighting the odds. Notoriously noted as being "undersized", Molk has constantly fought hard to prove that he can get the job done. ...and not just done, but done better than anyone else. ...and he finally got acknowledgement when he won the 2011 Rimington Trophy that goes to the country's best Center and the Big Ten's inaugural Rimington-Pace Offensive Lineman of the Year award. To say that he's the little engine that could would be very fitting... except instead of struggling to reach the top, Molk would probably haul ass and run over anyone in his way while oozing swag and saying how stupid it was for anyone to think he wasn't the best option for the job in the first place!

Molk firmly believes he's the best center in the upcoming draft. There's nothing wrong with that, of course, but rare is the center as confident as Molk. He believes that he is awesome, that it's "stupid" to have any center ranked above him, and he's not afraid to name names when discussing centers inferior to him. Here's Molk on a variety of subjects, via AnnArbor.com.

On draft experts not having him ranked as the top center:

"The fact they could consider any center better than me is pretty stupid."

On center Peter Konz of Wisconsin:

"I have skills he doesn't have. Obviously, my strength is far better, I'm faster, I would say I'm smarter. Obviously, he's an intelligent person, I've talked to him, but I just think I have a technique that's unmatched (by him)."

On center Mike Brewster of Ohio State:

"He is nowhere near me as a player."

Read More: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/center-prospect-david-molk-does-not-lack-confidence-173742263.html

If Molk was a WR, I might raise some flags about his bravado, lol. But he's not a guy who will disrupt the chemistry of the team if he doesn't get the ball in his hands. He's just a fiery guy who wants to prove that he can be the best and is perfectly happy mixing it up in the dirty trenches. A team captain for Michigan and a leader that many looked up to, David Molk is a guy that should be welcomed in Garrett's clubhouse. Besides, Garrett played with Mark Stepnoski - probably the greatest Cowboys Center of all time who was all of 6'2, 265.

D-Unit
04-03-2012, 04:14 PM
Round 4 (Compensatory): Jeff Fuller, WR - Texas A&M

Fuller at this pick is a little bit of a prediction based off the fact that he is someone the team has targeted for private workouts with. I can see why they would be interested in him. Despite not having good speed for the WR position in the NFL, I can see him being used in a way that would mitigate the need for it. Part of our quest this offseason is finding out who will replace Laurent Robinson's role. Fuller doesn't duplicate what Robinson brought in terms of size/speed/hands, but he does have better size, excellent hands (as he broke Texas A&Ms record for receptions) and is a very good blocker. Fuller could work in the slot as a big possession receiver and use his size to overmatch your typical nickel corner.

Additionally, it wouldn't shock me to see Garrett use Fuller as he would if he had an additional pass catching TE. We recently spoke of the importance of the TE in Garrett's offense in our forum because of BTB's blog about it. With Witten getting up there in age, and Bennett turning out to be a flop, we have a real need for another big pass catching target for Romo. Fuller has a tall, muscular, athletic build who would give Romo exactly that... especially in the endzone.

As for his attitude...

"Texas A&M's Jeff Fuller set numerous school records as a junior in 2010, but his play leveled off this past season, leaving questions about why didn't he enter the NFL a year ago. But Fuller refuses to think that way. "You can't think shoulda-woulda-coulda," said Fuller. "Right now I'm just looking forward and looking forward to being on a team and getting the opportunity to get out there and compete."

He went back to school because he wanted to graduate, but more he wanted to continue building on what the team had going for them with Tannehill, Cyrus and others he wanted to come back and see how far they could go. Fuller is a stand up character, who is VERY easily liked because of his personality, demeanor and team commitment. Easy to see that he has a good head on his shoulders.

8CbdBOs_0fI

D-Unit
04-03-2012, 04:15 PM
Round 5: Justin Bethel, FS - Presbytarian

I'm a HUGE fan of Justin Bethel. Fell in love with him early in the season as he was getting recognition for being a major playmaker (especially in blocking kicks). But as a small school guy he hasn't quite boosted his stock as much as he probably deserves, however, that's fine by me. He's one of my favorite small school sleepers this year and I hope he's here for us in Round 5.

Watch this 8 min video. You'll quickly see why he would be perfect in Garrett's philosophy about finding a "Garrett" type of player.

pOzXUhwfqCY

D-Unit
Round 6: Ron Brooks, CB - LSU

I was really thrilled to see Ron Brooks as one of the prospects that the Cowboys have brought in for a private workout. Not just because I think he's scrappy as hell, but it also gives me confirmation that I'm snooping in the right area as far as the kind of player I think the Cowboys are looking for. Brooks has been buried on the bench at LSU being supplanted by the likes of Patrick Peterson, Morris Claiborne and Tyronn Matheiau but he's a talented kid in his own right and just made the wrong decision in going to a school that didn't afford him a lot of playing time. But he ran a blazing 4.35 40 time to prove that he's got the speed you can't teach.

Naturally athletic and versatile defensive back prospect, was the 5th defensive back on the vaunted LSU pass defensive – Elite athlete, was recruited to LSU as a WR – Brooks is a player who is still improving and got better each year in college – Majority of snaps came in Nickel and Dime packages – Has experience covering the slot and even saw some time at the FS position – Has great top end speed, posted a 4.35 forty at the combine – Aggressive and tenacious blitzer off the edge, has no hesitation when asked to blitz – Brooks is a big hitter and good tackler – Willing to tackle bigger players, and makes tackles at full speed, no hesitation to hit – Plays with a fire and intensity, fearless – Exhibits good instincts and awareness while in coverage – In zone coverage, Brooks shows the ability to make quick and decisive decisions – Can undercut a route and beat WR to a spot – Despite not being a full time starter Brooks finds a way to force turnovers and make big plays – Finds the ball in the air, makes plays on the ball and not the man – Was asked to learn each defensive back position at LSU, had to step in and start at various positions due to injury and suspensions – Might be the best gunner in the draft – Gets off the jam and is routinely the first player down field on punt coverage, makes the tackle almost every time he gets there.

Read More: http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2012/03/ron-brooks-scouting-report.html

beSEqPaUZrk

D-Unit
Round 7: Frank Alexander, DE/OLB - Oklahoma

aK4RdJ7xZOk

Frank Alexander is not getting ANY draft love at all, and may even go undrafted which would be a crime. Guy has been a baller for OU for years, yet has flown under the radar. I would say it was because of his false heart condition report he received at the combine which prevented him from working out in Indy, but he's been flying low long before Indy.

So yeah, talking about guys who would have a chip on their shoulder, and is hungry to play, Frank Alexander is a guy that came to my mind. He was invited to Indy and was able to speak to teams, but he received a scare while getting the doctor checkout.

03/14/12 - Oklahoma Pro Day: A few weeks ago, football was the last thing on Frank Alexander's mind as doctors found a previously undiagnosed heart condition that kept the defensive end from working out at the Combine. But after further tests, those reports have been proven to be false and he was able to participate in Oklahoma's Pro Day on Wednesday. He performed well in every drill, including the 40-yard dash (4.76), vertical jump (34.5”), broad jump (9'9”), 20-yard short shuttle (4.57), 3-cone drill (7.55) and bench press (24). Alexander also measured well with 35 ¼” arm length and a 83 ½” wingspan. - Dane Brugler, NFLDraftScout.com

03/15/12 - Wednesday was a long day for Frank Alexander. The former Oklahoma defensive end was one of 16 ex-Sooner players working out for NFL personnel at Pro Day at the Everest Training Center. Alexander was one of the last players to leave the facility after a morning of 40-yard sprints, bench presses, shuttle runs, jumps, leaps and having a tape measure taken to every inch of his body. “I ran fast, worked out, felt like I was moving well,” he said after it was all done. “It felt great all around.” Under normal circumstances a player of Alexander’s caliber would have used the annual event as a chance to fine tune a few things he’d been working on since January. The NFL combine would have given scouts the chance to see what he could do. Alexander fully expected to get that opportunity last month at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis. But doctors wouldn’t allow it. During one of the many physicals NFL draft prospects undergo, congenital heart defect was diagnosed. Alexander could speak to teams, but physical work was out of the question. Those discussions wouldn’t amount to much. No NFL team is going to invest in a rookie with a heart condition. “I didn’t know if I couldn’t play anymore. I had worked so hard to get to that point. Two days before, I get some news saying I can’t go. I had been training for six or seven weeks, plus the 15 years of playing football,” he said. “It was scary to know it could be shut down because of one little judgment.” The initial diagnosis was overturned before Alexander left Indianapolis. He was cleared to participate, but the defensive linemen’s time on the field had already ended. That put a lot of importance on Alexander’s workout Wednesday. - John Shinn, The Norman Transcript

Could he be another hidden gem that the Cowboys could polish? I hope so. I know this is later than most Cowboys fans hope to address OLB, but I feel just as strongly about this pick/value for the position as I would almost anywhere else. For all we know, Anthony Spencer could end up earning that long term deal afterall and a depth pick is just what we need.

D-Unit
04-03-2012, 04:17 PM
In the end....

Side notes: I think Janoris Jenkins could also be had in a trade down and I think you could easily switch Bethel in the 4th and Fuller in the 5th. Alexander could go higher too, but I'm not entirely sure about that.

Thoughts?

CDCB14
04-03-2012, 04:34 PM
In the end....

Side notes: I think Janoris Jenkins could also be had in a trade down and I think you could easily switch Bethel in the 4th and Fuller in the 5th. Alexander could go higher too, but I'm not entirely sure about that.

Thoughts?

I like it all but Jenkins in the first. I really think we should re-sign Mike Jenkins and let the trio of Carr, Jenkins, and Scandrick stay together for a while. Taking a 3rd round CB is the best option in my opinion. There a tons of them who would be good value. Improves the depth and could develop into a starter if we lose Jenkins to free agency.

I like the rest a lot though. Fuller is a nice pick with tons of upside. He was thought of as a 2nd rounder before his lack luster senior year. Love Ron Brooks' physical skills. Love Marten and Wolfe. Alexander has upside as well. Don't like Molk though. He's Costa to me from a better program. No thanks to a 6'1'' 295 pound center with short arms. I know you like him, but no. He's just not going to work in this league. If he pans out somewhere and I am wrong then good for that team... but I don't want him.

pocketaces
04-03-2012, 04:45 PM
In the end....

Round 1: Janoris Jenkins, CB - North Alabama Like him but would rather get a pass rusher here

Round 2: Doug Martin, RB - Boise St. Dont see the need? Would rather go D here again.

Round 3: Derek Wolfe, DE - Cincinnati I Like this pick
Round 4: David Molk, C - Michigan Meh...
Round 4 (Compensatory): Jeff Fuller, WR - Texas A&M Good value
Round 6: Ron Brooks, CB - LSU Could be a steal. Had 1st rounders ahead of him
Round 7: Frank Alexander, DE/OLB - Oklahoma Like it

Thoughts?

In the end, I guess I'd be ok with this draft but hope we do better :wink2:

D-Unit
04-03-2012, 06:14 PM
In the end, I guess I'd be ok with this draft but hope we do better :wink2:
I hear you wanting to go OLB in round 1, and I can agree we have a need, but I took the position that CB is equally as important and that I liked the value of the CBs more than the value of the OLBs that were available there. With Jenkins, I know I'm getting elite caliber corner skills. I can't say that as strongly with the OLBs available.

I'm going with the better player if I have to choose between the 2 positions. Next year, if Spencer doesn't earn that long term deal, then OLB can rise to the top of the needs list. There might be better value then... not sure... but I am sure the value now is not easy to grade as "elite".

I also like the chance to see what Spencer can do with a major upgrade in the secondary.

----

I know taking a RB in Round 2 seems like overkill, but with this particular player, and our history of injured RBs, I think it warrants the selection. I really don't want us having to give Maurice Morris a call in Week 15 again.

I got to cheat though... in a mock, I can choose who I want in the following rounds. In real life, the Cowboys will have to make this decision not knowing who will be available later on. I felt going offense here was ok seeing that 5 of my 7 rounds all went to defense.

D-Unit
04-03-2012, 06:18 PM
I like it all but Jenkins in the first. I really think we should re-sign Mike Jenkins and let the trio of Carr, Jenkins, and Scandrick stay together for a while. Taking a 3rd round CB is the best option in my opinion. There a tons of them who would be good value. Improves the depth and could develop into a starter if we lose Jenkins to free agency.

I like the rest a lot though. Fuller is a nice pick with tons of upside. He was thought of as a 2nd rounder before his lack luster senior year. Love Ron Brooks' physical skills. Love Marten and Wolfe. Alexander has upside as well. Don't like Molk though. He's Costa to me from a better program. No thanks to a 6'1'' 295 pound center with short arms. I know you like him, but no. He's just not going to work in this league. If he pans out somewhere and I am wrong then good for that team... but I don't want him.
Carr, Jenkins and Scandrick will get plenty of time on the field, but I really think you need more than 3 good CBs. Especially since we don't have a guy who can excel covering the slot. You've agreed in the past that that position is one of the hardest to play... so I don't think using our 1st on a guy who I think can do it better than anyone else in the draft is a wasted pick. ....well... I take that back... I think Brandon Boykin is equally as talented for the job. But yeah... that's what I'm thinking.

I'd rather have Wolfe in the 3rd than Cox or Brockers in the 1st. ...and the overall OLB class is just mediocre to me. It's a hit or miss proposition, imo.

Thanks for the response. Mocks are a lot of fun and a good way to waste your time. LOL.

CDCB14
04-03-2012, 06:26 PM
I hear you wanting to go OLB in round 1, and I can agree we have a need, but I took the position that CB is equally as important and that I liked the value of the CBs more than the value of the OLBs that were available there. With Jenkins, I know I'm getting elite caliber corner skills. I can't say that as strongly with the OLBs available.

I'm going with the better player if I have to choose between the 2 positions. Next year, if Spencer doesn't earn that long term deal, then OLB can rise to the top of the needs list. There might be better value then... not sure... but I am sure the value now is not easy to grade as "elite".

I also like the chance to see what Spencer can do with a major upgrade in the secondary.

----

I know taking a RB in Round 2 seems like overkill, but with this particular player, and our history of injured RBs, I think it warrants the selection. I really don't want us having to give Maurice Morris a call in Week 15 again.

I got to cheat though... in a mock, I can choose who I want in the following rounds. In real life, the Cowboys will have to make this decision not knowing who will be available later on. I felt going offense here was ok seeing that 5 of my 7 rounds all went to defense.

It was Sammy Morris... show the guy some respect!

But about CB, unless you are going to trade Jenkins it's a wasted resource. How much is a 4th CB going to play? Trust me, I preach building on strengths and we still do need a quality 4th CB, but we could get that in the 2nd or third. Wasting a 1st rounder on that isn't wise in my opinion. Unless they are going to trade Jenkins or have no intention to re-sign him then fine, but I don't think the team will come to that conclusion on draft day.

Ingram/Cox and a 3rd round CB is a lot better than Jenkins and a 3rd round DE in my opinion, ESPECIALLY with the value of the 3rd round CB's in this draft.

D-Unit
04-03-2012, 06:31 PM
It was Sammy Morris... show the guy some respect!

But about CB, unless you are going to trade Jenkins it's a wasted resource. How much is a 4th CB going to play? Trust me, I preach building on strengths and we still do need a quality 4th CB, but we could get that in the 2nd or third. Wasting a 1st rounder on that isn't wise in my opinion. Unless they are going to trade Jenkins or have no intention to re-sign him then fine, but I don't think the team will come to that conclusion on draft day.

Ingram/Cox and a 3rd round CB is a lot better than Jenkins and a 3rd round DE in my opinion, ESPECIALLY with the value of the 3rd round CB's in this draft.
Hahaha Sammy Morris, right my bad. lol.

Jenkins would play plenty. He wouldn't be your #4 CB like Frank Walker. He'd be your starting nickel CB and we play in the nickel like 50% of the time.

In the 3rd round you might be able to find CBs who will be capable outside CBs, but not inside CBs. Those guys are usually a step slower with stiffer hips. Ingram and Cox play 2 different positions. But if you're talking about a 3rd round DE, I'd waaaaaaaaaay rather have Wolfe in the 3rd than Cox in the 1st.

D-Ware Nightmare
04-03-2012, 11:34 PM
In the end....

Thoughts?

I dig it for the most part, I would probably go Bruce Irvin in the second and Michael Smith from Utah St. in 7th. Kind of splitting hairs, but I think it would great to have some leverage/incentive behind Spencer. Both fit the mold of gritty hard working guys. I think Justin Smith when I see Wolfe. I have no problem with Jenkins in the first either, would prefer a trade down of course but no problem with him. I just cant see spending Carr type money on Mike Jenkins, which is likely the ballpark he is seeking regarding contracts, that would be about $25million/yr on 3 corners. I just think going Jenkins/Irvin would set us up to not be backed into a corner next year. And ultimately with the high probability of M Jenkins being dealt, and a likely tradedown scenario to get Janoris, you could reasonably be looking at an additional two picks before the end of the 3rd. O man would that be a dream scenario!!!

D-Unit
04-04-2012, 02:18 AM
I dig it for the most part, I would probably go Bruce Irvin in the second and Michael Smith from Utah St. in 7th. Kind of splitting hairs, but I think it would great to have some leverage/incentive behind Spencer. Both fit the mold of gritty hard working guys. I think Justin Smith when I see Wolfe. I have no problem with Jenkins in the first either, would prefer a trade down of course but no problem with him. I just cant see spending Carr type money on Mike Jenkins, which is likely the ballpark he is seeking regarding contracts, that would be about $25million/yr on 3 corners. I just think going Jenkins/Irvin would set us up to not be backed into a corner next year. And ultimately with the high probability of M Jenkins being dealt, and a likely tradedown scenario to get Janoris, you could reasonably be looking at an additional two picks before the end of the 3rd. O man would that be a dream scenario!!!
That's a great suggestion. I'm a really big fan of Irvin. I left him out of this mock because I tried to select players that fit Garrett's "hunger and drive" philosophy and I really liked Martin filling that selection. But heck, the Cowboys brought in Irvin for a private workout, so that speaks a lot of volumes there too.

Trogdor
04-04-2012, 07:42 AM
I think Irvin's off the field issues are going to carry a lot more weight than you guys think. He's the type of talent/attitude mix that skill-wise is a late 1st/early 2nd that will be drafted in the 4th or 5th thanks to his character.

That being said if he falls to the 3/4th I'd take him even if he is just a specialist pass rusher at this stage :)

FYI - I'm wrapping his entire background into this one not just he fact he went Chuck Norris on a sign.

CDCB14
04-04-2012, 09:03 AM

The flip side to the whole Jenkins deal is that we might be able to get him for a nice discount if we sign him now because he had a bad 2010 and was hurt a lot this year even though he was good. If we can get Jenkins for say 5 years, 30-35 million year now, I'd do it. He's 27 and the kid can play. I'd rather use my resources elsewhere in the draft.

As far as the money spent at one position goes... the cap is about to skyrocket which helps, and look at all the other contracts around the league. Calvin Johnson just got 130 million. Drew Brees is about to get 23 million a year according to reports. This is a passing league, why can't we spend 25 million a year on three good cornerbacks?

This is coming from a Jenkins supporter so I acknowledge a little bias, but I think he is a good player and want to see him in a Cowboys uniform for years to come. I would re-sign him and let him, Carr, and Scandrick jell as a nice trio so we can use our resources elsewhere and don't need to worry about CB for the next 5 years.

leroyisgod
04-04-2012, 09:59 AM
I would've rather spent that money on Jenkins and not Scandrik. But hindsight is 20/20. I just don't see us spending that much cash on 3 corners. And I personally wouldn't want to re-sign Jenkins until at lease midway through the year to see if he's playing at a high level and injury free.

D-Unit
04-04-2012, 12:49 PM
If signing Jenkins now means getting him cheap, then yeah, I like that option. Right or wrong, I personally still have belief in him. If he ends up playing well, then he'll just become more expensive. It's a tricky situation.

I definitely don't want to trade him. Carr and Scandrick can't be the solution. Even if you trade Jenkins and replace him with a CB in the draft, we're still shallow. CB is still a major need for us WITH Jenkins on the roster. I hope we find a way to get Janoris Jenkins, Brandon Boykin, Jayron Hosley, Casey Hayward, Jamell Flemming, Josh Norman or Ron Brooks. These are the only guys who I think could help us in the slot or on the outside... and we DEFINITELY need help on the inside MOST right now.

CDCB14
04-04-2012, 01:42 PM
If signing Jenkins now means getting him cheap, then yeah, I like that option. Right or wrong, I personally still have belief in him. If he ends up playing well, then he'll just become more expensive. It's a tricky situation.

I definitely don't want to trade him. Carr and Scandrick can't be the solution. Even if you trade Jenkins and replace him with a CB in the draft, we're still shallow. CB is still a major need for us WITH Jenkins on the roster. I hope we find a way to get Janoris Jenkins, Brandon Boykin, Jayron Hosley, Casey Hayward, Jamell Flemming, Josh Norman or Ron Brooks. These are the only guys who I think could help us in the slot or on the outside... and we DEFINITELY need help on the inside MOST right now.

I agree with most of this. Trading Jenkins even if we pick a 1st round corner leaves us in the same position and that player might not be as goods as Jenkins, and most likely won't be as a rookie. If re-signing him now means a discount, do it. It's a passing league, you need CB's. If it gets expensive, oh well. Gotta spend to be good sometimes.

As for the inside... you just won't let that go will you? Scandrick is our slot CB and he isn't going anywhere. I'll take a guy for depth, but no one is taking that spot from Scandrick. It's not happening. Get it out of your head before you get upset.

D-Unit
04-04-2012, 02:23 PM
I agree with most of this. Trading Jenkins even if we pick a 1st round corner leaves us in the same position and that player might not be as goods as Jenkins, and most likely won't be as a rookie. If re-signing him now means a discount, do it. It's a passing league, you need CB's. If it gets expensive, oh well. Gotta spend to be good sometimes.

As for the inside... you just won't let that go will you? Scandrick is our slot CB and he isn't going anywhere. I'll take a guy for depth, but no one is taking that spot from Scandrick. It's not happening. Get it out of your head before you get upset.
Garrett always talks about earning your position despite pay, despite experience, despite draft position etc etc etc. Why would you then safely assume that Scandrick is exempt from competing for his position? That there's no way the team would look at upgrading a position where we were statistically ranked at the bottom of the league at? A position that was a leaky hole all season long? *shrugs*

What if he gets hurt again, like he often is?

CDCB14
04-04-2012, 02:50 PM
Garrett always talks about earning your position despite pay, despite experience, despite draft position etc etc etc. Why would you then safely assume that Scandrick is exempt from competing for his position? That there's no way the team would look at upgrading a position where we were statistically ranked at the bottom of the league at? A position that was a leaky hole all season long? *shrugs*

What if he gets hurt again, like he often is?

Again, wrong. Scandrick has played in all 16 games in his first 3 seasons in the league, and then he miss 3 this year with a high ankle sprain. Which also is a freak injury when someone lands on you the wrong way. So 61 out of 64 games in his first 4 years? I think that's pretty damn "durable" don't you?

http://www.nfl.com/player/orlandoscandrick/2307/profile

As for improving on him, whether you want to accept it or not the team thinks he is a great slot corner. Unless he gets hurt which is unlikely because he is always healthy, he is going to be our slot corner. There's no point in talking about a hypothetical that has no chance in happening.

If we get a CB in the draft who can play the slot then ok that's cool, but he isn't starting over Scandrick there. Besides, when a team goes 4 wides there are 2 slots, so you kind of need 2 slot corners anyway.

D-Unit
04-04-2012, 02:56 PM
Again, wrong. Scandrick has played in all 16 games in his first 3 seasons in the league, and then he miss 3 this year with a high ankle sprain. Which also is a freak injury when someone lands on you the wrong way. So 61 out of 64 games in his first 4 years? I think that's pretty damn "durable" don't you?

http://www.nfl.com/player/orlandoscandrick/2307/profile

As for improving on him, whether you want to accept it or not the team thinks he is a great slot corner. Unless he gets hurt which is unlikely because he is always healthy, he is going to be our slot corner. There's no point in talking about a hypothetical that has no chance in happening.

If we get a CB in the draft who can play the slot then ok that's cool, but he isn't starting over Scandrick there. Besides, when a team goes 4 wides there are 2 slots, so you kind of need 2 slot corners anyway.
First off, I think it's pretty naive to think that injuries in the NFL are "freak injuries". LOL. It's an extreme contact sport man.

...and whether you like it or not... the team is looking for CBs in the draft... all over the draft. All kinds of CBs. Happy to see them bring in Ron Brooks who I think would compete with Scandrick. Dude is flying up the draft boards. I seen him projected to the 3rd round today!

D-Unit
04-04-2012, 06:11 PM
Another thing about Janoris Jenkins that I love is that he has a proven record of shutting down top WRs.

Alshon Jeffery - 6 catches, 53 yards, 0 TDs - 2010
Alshon Jeffery - 6 catches, 57 yards, 0 TDs - 2009

AJ Green - 4 catches, 42 yards, 1 TD - 2010
AJ Green - 3 catches, 50 yards, 0 TDs - 2009

Julio Jones - 4 catches, 19 yards, 0 TDs - 2010
Julio Jones - 2 catches, 28 yards, 0 TDs - 2009

...and when Florida had both Haden and Jenkins, Jenkins was the guy covering the other team's top WR.

leroyisgod
04-04-2012, 06:16 PM
Updated Mock

1a. Quinton Coples- DE/OLB- North Carolina
http://sports.cbsimg.net/u/photos/football/nfl/2002/draft/img16990164.jpg

1b(trade back). Peter Konz- C- Wisconsin
http://www.uwbadgers.com/blog/FB_111222_Konz_Peter.jpg

2a. Brandon Boykin- CB- Georgia
http://sports.cbsimg.net/u/photos/football/nfl/2002/draft/img16988484.jpg

2b. Bruce Irvin- OLB- West Virginia
http://ogdraft.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Bruce-Irvin.jpg

3a. Jared Crick- DE- Nebraksa
http://packerchatters.com/wp-content/uploads/2012_NFL_Draft_JaredCrick.jpg

3b. Billy Winn- DE- Boise State
http://offsideswithfletcher.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/billywinn.jpg

4a. Ryan Broyles- WR- Oklahoma
http://cdn.newsday.com/polopoly_fs/1.3257915.1322663492!/httpImage/image.JPG_gen/derivatives/display_600/image.JPG

4b. Jayron Hosley- CB- Virginia Tech
http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Clemson+v+Viginia+Tech+_hJAhB2S70Ll.jpg

D-Unit
04-04-2012, 06:18 PM
I'll take an order of 1A, 2A, 2B, and 4B please.

Trogdor
04-04-2012, 06:49 PM
Figured now I'll do a mock with more of the players we have brought in/interviewed/private workouts.

1) Fletcher Cox, DT, MSU
Can play any position across our front but enough has been said already on him. Looking for him to generate pressure from the 5-tech position.

2) Kevin Zeitler, G/C, Wisconsin
Versatility and solid anchor. Expect for him to be day 1 starter at center.

3) Casey Hayward, CB, Vanderbilt
Versatility again (sensing a pattern). Can project as both a centerfielder FS and CB (although I feel his best fit is cover 2). Smart, hard-working, and quick to jump routes.

4) Jake Bequette, OLB, Arkansas
My pet cat :) Is a deceptive athlete but plays extremely smart and uses his power effectively. Very good at anchoring and shedding blocks.

4c) Ryan Broyles, WR, Oklahoma
Slight reach as he projects as a permanent slot WR but is extremely quick and possesses the smooth route runner to be an effective target on the inside.

5) Emmanuel Acho, ILB, Texas
Excellent instincts that allow him to play faster than his timed speed. Hard-working (another pattern!), tackles well with solid ability to shed blocks and provide additional pass rush.

6) Ron Brooks, CB, Louisiana State
Very similar to Casey Hayward. Versatility (CB/FS), smart, hard-working. Instant special teams performer with "plus" potential.

7) G.J. Kinne QB, Tulsa
Short and old will push him down way further than he should. There's a bit of Romo in him in that he has an extremely quick release and can "Houdini" himself out of pressure. Will fight McGee for the right to backup the backup.

Not the flashest of mocks but might be more in line with what actually happens on draft day. I am certain though that we'll be working the phones trying to trade down from 14.

D-Unit
04-04-2012, 07:05 PM
Figured now I'll do a mock with more of the players we have brought in/interviewed/private workouts.

1) Fletcher Cox, DT, MSU
Can play any position across our front but enough has been said already on him. Looking for him to generate pressure from the 5-tech position.

2) Kevin Zeitler, G/C, Wisconsin
Versatility and solid anchor. Expect for him to be day 1 starter at center.

3) Casey Hayward, CB, Vanderbilt
Versatility again (sensing a pattern). Can project as both a centerfielder FS and CB (although I feel his best fit is cover 2). Smart, hard-working, and quick to jump routes.

4) Jake Bequette, OLB, Arkansas
My pet cat :) Is a deceptive athlete but plays extremely smart and uses his power effectively. Very good at anchoring and shedding blocks.

4c) Ryan Broyles, WR, Oklahoma
Slight reach as he projects as a permanent slot WR but is extremely quick and possesses the smooth route runner to be an effective target on the inside.

5) Emmanuel Acho, ILB, Texas
Excellent instincts that allow him to play faster than his timed speed. Hard-working (another pattern!), tackles well with solid ability to shed blocks and provide additional pass rush.

6) Ron Brooks, CB, Louisiana State
Very similar to Casey Hayward. Versatility (CB/FS), smart, hard-working. Instant special teams performer with "plus" potential.

7) G.J. Kinne QB, Tulsa
Short and old will push him down way further than he should. There's a bit of Romo in him in that he has an extremely quick release and can "Houdini" himself out of pressure. Will fight McGee for the right to backup the backup.

Not the flashest of mocks but might be more in line with what actually happens on draft day. I am certain though that we'll be working the phones trying to trade down from 14.
Sign me up for Rounds 2, 3, 4c and 6! That said, I think Brooks is going to go a lot higher than Round 6. Just saw today on a notable draft website him going in Round 3.

Hayward is smooooth. I wonder if he'd ever be considered a switch to FS too??? Maybe that's too far out there. Bequette, I'm luke warm on.

Trogdor
04-04-2012, 08:19 PM
Sign me up for Rounds 2, 3, 4c and 6! That said, I think Brooks is going to go a lot higher than Round 6. Just saw today on a notable draft website him going in Round 3.

Hayward is smooooth. I wonder if he'd ever be considered a switch to FS too??? Maybe that's too far out there. Bequette, I'm luke warm on.

Agreed on Brooks I based his "current" stock on a combination of CBS, National Football Post, and a few others which haven't really caught up to him. Hayward should be open to the move considering it was one of his former positions :)

While he's "quick but not fast" for a CB he'd have borderline "elite" speed for a FS at 4.5 :)

I'll be riding the Bequette train I liked him when we first interviewed him before he decided to blow up all the marks for pass rushing OLBs.

For the "sackSEER" formula used to project pass rushers (best out of all the random crappy formulas admittedly) they call for the following:

Production Ratio of 1.00 or better: Bequette (1.14)

Speed Score of 100 or better: Bequette (101.5)

Explosion Score of 70 or better: Bequette (67.5) - JUST missed by 2 reps on the bench

Lateral Agility of 0.50 or better: Bequette (0.75)

His short shuttle (often pointed to as "the" best test for a 3-4 OLB other than drills)? 4.07 second best behind Bruce Irvin with a blistering 4.03.

DeMarcus Ware's time? 4.10

Anthony Spencer's time? 4.43 (LOL!)

The only prospect this year that meets all criteria is..... Melvin Ingram.

primetime217
04-04-2012, 10:28 PM
This is my first time attempting a mock, and I am looking at a few others to get a good hint of what round the prospects are projected for. Here we go...

1. Mark Barron- I can realisticallly see this as the pick. Theres a few others I'd like before him, but I expect them to be gone. Leadership was a problem last year, and i think he can be that vocal leader we need back there.

2. Andre Branch- This might be a stretch, because I think he could be gone by the time we're on the clock, but I've seen a few mocks where he is being drafted in the 40's. He can be the insurance depending on what happens with Spencer next year.

3. Jared Crick- We wanted JJ Watt last year, but chose Tyron instead. In Watt, we could get the "poor man's Watt". I think he could apply pressure playing the 5 technique.

4. Joe Adams/Ryan Broyles- I would love to see Joe Adams with the star on his helmet. He would work great in the slot, and be an immediate upgrade in the return game. Broyles wouldn't be a bad consolation.

4c. Brandon Washington- HUGE offensive guard who could provide depth while also pushing for a starting job.

I don't want to go much farther, because it becomes basically impossible to predict, but there's my best guess. I realize some of these guys might not be there while we're on the clock, but i'm basing my draft on where other mocks had the prospects.

Let me know what you guys think. Also, I would love some suggestions for the 5th, 6th, and 7th round.

D-Unit
04-05-2012, 01:30 PM
This is my first time attempting a mock, and I am looking at a few others to get a good hint of what round the prospects are projected for. Here we go...

1. Mark Barron- I can realisticallly see this as the pick. Theres a few others I'd like before him, but I expect them to be gone. Leadership was a problem last year, and i think he can be that vocal leader we need back there.

2. Andre Branch- This might be a stretch, because I think he could be gone by the time we're on the clock, but I've seen a few mocks where he is being drafted in the 40's. He can be the insurance depending on what happens with Spencer next year.

3. Jared Crick- We wanted JJ Watt last year, but chose Tyron instead. In Watt, we could get the "poor man's Watt". I think he could apply pressure playing the 5 technique.

4. Joe Adams/Ryan Broyles- I would love to see Joe Adams with the star on his helmet. He would work great in the slot, and be an immediate upgrade in the return game. Broyles wouldn't be a bad consolation.

4c. Brandon Washington- HUGE offensive guard who could provide depth while also pushing for a starting job.

I don't want to go much farther, because it becomes basically impossible to predict, but there's my best guess. I realize some of these guys might not be there while we're on the clock, but i'm basing my draft on where other mocks had the prospects.

Let me know what you guys think. Also, I would love some suggestions for the 5th, 6th, and 7th round.
Not really my favorite names in the draft, but I could see some of those things easily happening. Only one that really sticks out is Brandon Washington who I don't think will last that long.

Witten4HOF
04-07-2012, 12:58 PM
1) Dontari Poe DE/NT Memphis, HUGE upside.... immediate upgrade over Kenyon Coleman at LE and is a jumbo 5tech that will occupy blockers. Type of guy that opens players up for the Ware, Ratliff, and Spencer in the pass rush or shield blockers away from Carter and Lee in pursuit. As he gets coached up he will learn to split double teams and mack more of an impact getting after the QB.

2) Kevin Zeitler C Wisconsin- with the additions to G in FA Zeitler will get a shot to take over for Phil Costa at center. Will provide an immediate upgrade in the run game with is size and nasty streak.

3) Coryell Judie S Texas A&M- College corner who can make the jump to FS imo. A shade under 6 feet and 195 lbs... ran a 4.48 at the combine with a 37 in vert. Aggressive and solid enough as a wrap up tackler to make the transition from corner. Great ball skills and can make athletic plays with the ball in the air. Great field vision and a threat to score with the ball in his hands.

4) Devon Wylie WR Fresno St- Good Ball Skills... fast in and out of breaks and is a threat to bust big plays from anywhere on the field. Perfect for the slot.

4c) Omar Bolden CB ASU- Top 40 player in this draft if healthy... two severe knee injuries knock him down in the draft but the team has showed faith in the trainers before to rehabilitate players back to their original promise.

5) Jamie Blatnick OLB OSU- Essentially played a 3-4 OLB in college... solid passrusher who can add depth behind Spencer.

6) George Bryan TE NC STATE- Developmental blocking tight end... wont provide much downfield but can catch the short and intermediate balls when not inline blocking.

7) Aston Whiteside ILB Abilene Christian- Small school run stuffer... could make an impact on special teams

CDCB14
04-07-2012, 01:12 PM
1) Dontari Poe DE/NT Memphis, HUGE upside.... immediate upgrade over Kenyon Coleman at LE and is a jumbo 5tech that will occupy blockers. Type of guy that opens players up for the Ware, Ratliff, and Spencer in the pass rush or shield blockers away from Carter and Lee in pursuit. As he gets coached up he will learn to split double teams and mack more of an impact getting after the QB.

2) Kevin Zeitler C Wisconsin- with the additions to G in FA Zeitler will get a shot to take over for Phil Costa at center. Will provide an immediate upgrade in the run game with is size and nasty streak.

3) Coryell Judie S Texas A&M- College corner who can make the jump to FS imo. A shade under 6 feet and 195 lbs... ran a 4.48 at the combine with a 37 in vert. Aggressive and solid enough as a wrap up tackler to make the transition from corner. Great ball skills and can make athletic plays with the ball in the air. Great field vision and a threat to score with the ball in his hands.

4) Devon Wylie WR Fresno St- Good Ball Skills... fast in and out of breaks and is a threat to bust big plays from anywhere on the field. Perfect for the slot.

4c) Omar Bolden CB ASU- Top 40 player in this draft if healthy... two severe knee injuries knock him down in the draft but the team has showed faith in the trainers before to rehabilitate players back to their original promise.

5) Jamie Blatnick OLB OSU- Essentially played a 3-4 OLB in college... solid passrusher who can add depth behind Spencer.

6) George Bryan TE NC STATE- Developmental blocking tight end... wont provide much downfield but can catch the short and intermediate balls when not inline blocking.

7) Aston Whiteside ILB Abilene Christian- Small school run stuffer... could make an impact on special teams

Now that's a draft. A+.

I forgot to mention how Poe would also make life so much easier for our ILB's. Lee, Carter, and Connor are all average size at best and more athletic types, someone to eat blockers would be huge.

Zeitler is great for upgrading interior OL talent, and Judie and Bolden are great additions to secondary depth. Love Wylie's speed and quickness as well.

Well done.

leroyisgod
04-07-2012, 08:02 PM
I think I'm warming more to the idea of Poe, but still not super excited about him. Did we bring him in for a visit?

primetime217
04-11-2012, 10:54 AM
1. Coples/Poe- I would be fine with either of these, but I would prefer Coples over Poe. Coples could come in and instantly improve our DL pass rush. On Nickel and Dime situations, we could use Coples similar to how the Giants use Tuck. He could line up inside or outside. The benefit with Poe is you're getting a 2-for-1.

2. Ronnell Lewis- Very strong and athletic OLB. Played DE in a 4 man front at Oklahoma, but I think he would be the perfect fit at OLB in a 3-4. Also, he has the versatility to also line up at ILB on some packages. Rob Ryan likes to get creative so he would love the versitility. He can get after the passer as well as set the edge. Also, he absolutely destroys on kickoff coverage. He could really make our special teams better, especially the first year with Spencer still on the team.

3. Brandon Brooks- HUGE guard who shows athleticism for his size. Really carries his weight well. This move would work out real well if Bernadeau could play Center. There were some reports that he has in the past, but don't hear much about it.

4. Markelle Martin- Natural free safety that could step in and help. Has good speed and can cover quite a bit of ground. Can really lay the lumber when he wants to.

4c. Joe Adams/Ryan Broyles- I've been all over these two for our 3rd receiver. I would prefer Adams, because of his speed and value in the return game, but broyles would be a good consolation. I see both accelling in the slot in the NFL.

5. Shaun Prater- I realize I may have waited to long for a CB, but I feel like the prospects above are just as important to our team. Prater could step in and be the 4th corner while also pushing scandrick. If we can't sign Jenkins, we can look at corner early in the 2013 draft.

6. James Hanna- Athletic TE we could use. Coming into the draft I believe we either need to hit on a 3rd WR or a second TE. This is insurance just in case Adams/Broyles don't pan out early. Hanna would be a added weapon in our offense and could be used in sub packages. Had a great combine, but his production didn't match his potential at Oklahoma.

7. Omar Bolden- I think this guy falls because of his knee injury. If he's there in the 7th, i think he would fit well for us. He ran his forty a little slow, (4.6), but he's still working his way back from the knee injury so he's still building back his speed. Was the strongest at the combine with 25 reps, leading me to believe he would work well jamming receivers.

Here's my second crack at a mock. I've changed it up a little, mainly because of what you guys have been saying on the threads. Let me know what you guys think.

Another guy I wouldn't mind taking a chance on late is Vontaze. I would consider him in the 6th, and definitely take him in the 7th. He could be a situational player for us (e.g. goaline/short yardage) to help clog running lanes. But with selecting him you also have to bring on his personality, but I think we got enough veterans in the locker room to keep him in line.

Trogdor
04-11-2012, 11:26 AM
1. Coples/Poe- I would be fine with either of these, but I would prefer Coples over Poe. Coples could come in and instantly improve our DL pass rush. On Nickel and Dime situations, we could use Coples similar to how the Giants use Tuck. He could line up inside or outside. The benefit with Poe is you're getting a 2-for-1.

2. Ronnell Lewis- Very strong and athletic OLB. Played DE in a 4 man front at Oklahoma, but I think he would be the perfect fit at OLB in a 3-4. Also, he has the versatility to also line up at ILB on some packages. Rob Ryan likes to get creative so he would love the versitility. He can get after the passer as well as set the edge. Also, he absolutely destroys on kickoff coverage. He could really make our special teams better, especially the first year with Spencer still on the team.

3. Brandon Brooks- HUGE guard who shows athleticism for his size. Really carries his weight well. This move would work out real well if Bernadeau could play Center. There were some reports that he has in the past, but don't hear much about it.

4. Markelle Martin- Natural free safety that could step in and help. Has good speed and can cover quite a bit of ground. Can really lay the lumber when he wants to.

4c. Joe Adams/Ryan Broyles- I've been all over these two for our 3rd receiver. I would prefer Adams, because of his speed and value in the return game, but broyles would be a good consolation. I see both accelling in the slot in the NFL.

5. Shaun Prater- I realize I may have waited to long for a CB, but I feel like the prospects above are just as important to our team. Prater could step in and be the 4th corner while also pushing scandrick. If we can't sign Jenkins, we can look at corner early in the 2013 draft.

6. James Hanna- Athletic TE we could use. Coming into the draft I believe we either need to hit on a 3rd WR or a second TE. This is insurance just in case Adams/Broyles don't pan out early. Hanna would be a added weapon in our offense and could be used in sub packages. Had a great combine, but his production didn't match his potential at Oklahoma.

7. Omar Bolden- I think this guy falls because of his knee injury. If he's there in the 7th, i think he would fit well for us. He ran his forty a little slow, (4.6), but he's still working his way back from the knee injury so he's still building back his speed. Was the strongest at the combine with 25 reps, leading me to believe he would work well jamming receivers.

Here's my second crack at a mock. I've changed it up a little, mainly because of what you guys have been saying on the threads. Let me know what you guys think.

Not a bad mock although...

* Coples/Poe would both be excellent picks.

* Ronnell Lewis struggles to flatten out and bend around the outside. That's a primary pass-rush move for a 3-4 OLB. He also gets MANHANDLED on tape against larger OTs (which he'll face on every down in the NFL). Drawing from said point above he also struggles when anchoring the edge. He'll need to get stronger, build on his pass rush moves (he has no concernable bull-rush), and develop a counter to his speed rush move.

Don't like him at all. He's more of an athlete at this stage and has a lot of technique work to put in.

* Don't think Brooks will last this long but if he's there I 100% agree he could be special.

* Don't think Martin will last this long as he's the top FS in this class. If he's here excellent value pickup.

* Love both as slot guys and the value is spot on.

* Prater seems to be a better fit on a team running more zone but we're talking 5th rounder corners xD

* Love Hanna. There are quite a few TE projects and I hope we get our hands on one of them. Having another dynamic receiver threat at the TE/H-back position would help future-proof our offense.

* Personally I like Bolden A LOT more than Prater whom you took in the 5th. He can play inside and outside and has some wiggle in the return game.

D-Unit
04-15-2012, 03:02 AM
Just participated in our forum's 5 rounds in 5 days LIVE mock draft. Each team had 5 min otc and we did a live draft on blogtalk radio/chat.

So here's how it unfolded...

Round 1
1 1 1 Indianapolis - Andrew Luck QB Stanford
1 2 2 Washington from St. Louis - Robert Griffin III QB Baylor
1 3 3 Arizona f/ Minni - Matt Kalil OT USC
1 4 4 Buffalo f/ Cle - Morris Claiborn CB LSU
1 5 5 Chicago f/ Tampa Bay - Justin Blackmon WR Oklahoma State
1 6 6 St. Louis from Washington - Trent Richardson RB Alabama
1 7 7 Seattle f/ Jacksonville - Quinton Coples DE UNC
1 8 8 Miami - Melvin Ingram DE/OLB DE SC
1 9 9 Carolina - Fletcher Cox DT Miss St.
1 10 10 Cle - David DeCastro OG Stanford
1 11 11 Kansas City - Dontari Poe NT Memphas
1 12 12 Jacsonville - Andre Branch DE Clemson
1 13 13 Minni - Riely Reiff OT Iowa

When I was on the clock, I had the option to trade down to pick 20 with the Tennessee Titans (although the Titans GM was UTPATS, so I'm not sure if he was trying to help a fellow Cowboys fan out). If I traded down to 20, I would've been able to move up from Round 3 to Round 2.

Although I liked the value of the move up, I wasn't too thrilled about being in Round 3 with no picks... But the real kicker was not loving my options at pick 20. The 2 players that I would've taken at 20 were Janoris Jenkins or Peter Konz. But with Brockers staring at me in in the face, I decided not to trade down and roll with the big fellah.

1 14 14 Dallas - Michael Brockers DT LSU

It's no secret that I have a huge admiration for Brockers, so I couldn't pass him up. In the chat room, the Philly GM was pissed that I took him right before him, btw. His combination of size, skill, play, potential and versatility to play anywhere on the DL in the 3-4 or the middle of our DL in our nickel packages has me valuing him higher than any other DT in this year's draft. I feel that with him up front, that our DL finally has that guy who will command a double team and open things up for the rest of our defense. Not to mention cause disruption on his own merit as he is a bear to handle. No fear of having teams run down our throats late in games and seeing Ratliff get bowled on his ass. If we're in need of finding out whether Anthony Spencer is going to reach his full potential, then upgrading our secondary with a guy like Carr, and beefing up the DL with a guy like Brockers... surely will give us all we need to know about whether Spencer belongs in our long term plans or not. IF not, then OLB becomes a top priority next offseason. But I have a feeling, we'd see a damn good Anthony Spencer with this addition of Brockers.

Here's how the rest of Round 1 went:

1 15 15 Philadelphia - Luke Kuechly LB Boston
1 16 16 New York Jets - Michael Floyd WR Notre Dame
1 17 17 Cincinnati from Oakland - Mark Barron S Alabama
1 18 18 San Diego - Cordy Glenn OG Georgia
1 19 19 Cinci f. Tampa f. Chicago - Dre Kirkpatrick CB Alabma
1 20 20 Vikings f Tennessee - Stephon Gilmore CB SC
1 21 21 Tampa f. Cincinnati - Donta Hightower ILB Alabama
1 22 22 Titans f. Cleveland from Atlanta - Jonathan Martin OT Stanford
1 23 23 Detroit - Janoris Jenkins CB Northern Alabama
1 24 24 Pittsburgh -Mike Adams OT Ohio State
1 25 25 Denver - Jerel Worthy DT Michigan St.
1 26 26 Houston - Kendall Wright WR Baylor
1 27 27 New England from New Orleans - Courtney Upshaw OLB Alabama
1 28 28 Green Bay - Nick Perry DE USC
1 29 29 Baltimore - Peter Konz C Wisconsin
1 30 30 San Francisco - Kevin Zeitler OG Wisconsin
1 31 31 New England - Harrison Smith S Notre Dame
1 32 32 New York Giants - Zach Brown OLB UNC

In the end, I had no regrets in not trading down to pick 20. Janoris Jenkins and Peter Konz were there, but no other DTs can help me the way Brockers can.

D-Unit
04-15-2012, 03:51 AM
In Round 2, I was wondering what options I would have. It unfolded like this...

2 1 33 St. Louis - Devon Still DT Penn State
2 2 34 Indianapolis - Coby Fleener TE Stanford
2 3 35 Cleveland f. Titans f. Minnesota - Lavonte David OLB Nebraska
2 4 36 Tampa Bay - Bobby Massie OT Ole Miss
2 5 37 Cleveland - Mitchell Schwartz OT California
2 6 38 Jacksonville - Alshon Jeffery WR SC
2 7 39 St. Louis from Washington - Stephen Hill WR Ga Tech
2 8 40 Carolina - Whitney Mercilus DE Illinois
2 9 41 Buffalo - Ryan Tannehill QB Texas A&M
2 10 42 Miami - Rueben Randle WR LSU
2 11 43 Seattle - A.J. Jenkins WR Illinois
2 12 44 Kansas City - Amini Silatolu OG Midwestern state

At this point, the only 2 players that gave me that "aw shucks" feeling was when Mercilus (who fell quite far for my expectations) and Silatolu (who I like a lot) got selected. But overall, there were quite a few players left who I thought I could take.

This time however, I had been offered a trade package that intrigued me. Cleveland offered me their 3rd and 4th rounders for my 2nd. I really had to make an on the spot decision, and ultimately I pulled the trigger for more picks.

Kind of questioned myself later on the move. cmd34 was in the chatroom going bonkers that I made a mistake. Reminding him of the 2009 draft! Oh my! I knew it would be painful to watch Round 2 unfold without having a pick, but was hoping my patience would pay off in Rounds 3 and 4 with 5 picks in those 2 rounds.

Cleveland ended up taking Jamell Flemming and the rest of Round 2 went like this:

2 13 45 Cle f. Dallas - Jamell Fleming CB Oklahoma
2 14 46 Philadelphia - Kendall Reyes DT UCONN
2 15 47 New York Jets - Shea McClellin OLB Boise
2 16 48 New England from Oakland Alameda Ta’amu NT Washington
2 17 49 San Diego - Brian Quick WR App State
2 18 50 Chicago - Chandler Jones DE Syracuse
2 19 51 Philadelphia from Arizona - Kirk Cousins QB Michigan State
2 20 52 Tennessee - Brandon Thompson DT Clemson
2 21 53 Cincinnati - Doug Martin RB Boise State
2 22 54 Detroit - Kelechi Osemele Iowa St
2 23 55 Atlanta - Vinny Curry DE Marshall
2 24 56 Pittsburgh - Bobby Wagner LB Utah State
2 25 57 Denver - Lamar Miller RB Miami
2 26 58 Houston - Jeff Allen OT Illinois
2 27 New Orleans Forfeited
2 28 59 Green Bay - DT Mike Martin Michigan
2 29 60 Baltimore - Markelle Martin, S OK State
2 30 61 San Francisco Mohamed Sanu WR Rutgers
2 31 62 New England -Josh Robinson CB UCF
2 32 63 New York Giants - Ben Jones C Georgia

Admittingly, it was tough seeing Chandler Jones get taken in that round when I had the chance to take him. But I had the train of thought that I just took Brockers who would finally tell us what we needed to find out about our OLB position opposite of Ware. Bruce Irvin was also on my mind. But yeah... I wasn't going OLB there. I knew Doug Martin would go, and he's a fav, so mini-bummer there. But really, the guy that I would've drafted at 45 was Brandon Boykin and I was biting nails with each pick that passed hoping he wouldn't be taken. To my nice surprise Round 2 came and went and Boykins was still available!

D-Unit
04-15-2012, 05:15 AM
So Round 3 was here and I had the 4th overall pick from Cleveland first up to bat. I did some homework the night before to see what my chances were to land Boykin.

- Indy: They drafted Luck and Fleener and I thought they might take a CB.
- St. Louis: They drafted Richardson and Still, but I thought they would go OL next.
- Minny: They drafted Gilmore earlier, so I thought they wouldn't be taking Boykin.

So I was really trying to find out what Indy was going to do. Decided to send the Indy GM a PM asking if they knew what they were going to do. Simple enough. He replied saying they were indeed looking at CB. GAH. IMO, I thought they would go for more of an outside CB than a slot like Boykin, so I asked if they were thinking of taking Dennard. He replied saying he was undecided but had named Boykin and his reasoning was that he was the highest rated CB. DOUBLE GAH!

Right then I knew that if I wanted Boykin that I would have to trade up from 67 to 64. So we started talking trade and I offered to give up pick 152 for 170 which moved him up 18 spots in the 5th in order for me to move up 3 spots in the 3rd.

He countered and said he'd move down if I gave up 118 for his 136. That's my 4th for his 5th (1st pick in the 5th), but I was like damn, that's too much. So I started to concede that maybe I wouldn't be able to get Boykin and looked at my other options.

At first I thought, maybe I'd go with Dennard myself. He got torched at the Senior Bowl cause they were asking corners to play off their man at the LOS. But his strength is playing physical at the LOS and bumping guys off their routes and disrupting their timing. A few scouting reports suggested that his deep speed was questionable and that he may be a better slot than outside CB. So I was starting to warm up to Dennard myself. While researching I also read that some teams were looking at him as a S in the NFL. Even more, I thought ok... Dallas has needs at CB and FS. I'll just go with Dennard if Indy takes Boykin. Sounded like a plan.

While guessing who Minny would take, I thought there was a chance they would go with Brandon Brooks. So I started thinking about him. I know the Cowboys like BIG OL and Brooks put on a show at his pro day. But some scouting reports said that he doesn't pull well and struggles with blocking on the second level. So that disuaded me.

As the draft neared, I still had thoughts of Boykin vs Dennard going on in my head. Started reading some reports on Boykin and came across this one from nepatriotsdraft.com.

"Explosive athletic player who has returned kicks, carried and caught the ball during his time at Georgia – Could be a plus return specialist, finds holes in return coverage and weaves through them seamlessly – Extremely physical player down at the Senior Bowl who showed he can play press coverage as well as anyone in this draft class – Plays well in zone coverage as well reading the quarterback and reacting quickly with agility and athleticism – Played out of the slot a lot and rarely thrown on – Has legit 4.4 speed – Can turn and run smoothly and has second gear against faster WRs – Showed some ability blitzing out of the slot, gets off the line quickly and generates nice pressure."

After that... I just had to have Boykin. When the draft started, I immediately contacted the Indy GM in the chatroom when he was otc. I told him that I would indeed give up the Cowboys 4th rounder for Indy's 5th rounder (1st of that round) in order to move up. I felt ok about it because I had acquired Cleveland's 4th rounder earlier and I wouldn't have to drastically alter my draft plans for where I was going to use my mid 4th rounder.

A sense of relief came to me as I was able to make the selection of Brandon Boykin to the Cowboys. A guy that I was disappointed in passing up by trading down in the 2nd round, actually feel in the draft and I was able to scoop him up afterall. This gave me a natural high. :)

3 1 64 Dallas f. Indianapolis - Brandon Boykins CB Georgia

Thrilled to have another pick this round, the work didn't stop for me yet. But here is how the rest of the round went up to my next pick:

3 2 65 St. Louis - Zebrie Sanders OT Florida State
3 3 66 Minnesota - Mychal Kendricks ILB Cal
3 4 67 Indy f. Dallas from Cleveland - Alfonzo Dennard CB Nebraska
3 5 68 Tampa Bay - Jayron Hosley CB Va Tech
3 6 69 Washington - James Brown OT Troy
3 7 70 Jacksonville - Brandon Brooks OG Miami (Ohio)
3 8 71 Cle f. Buffalo - Chris Polk RB Washington
3 9 72 Miami - Brock Osweiler QB Az State
3 10 73 Miami from Carolina through Chicago - Tommy Streeter WR Miami
3 11 74 Kansas City - Ronell Lewis Oklahoma
3 12 75 Pittsburgh f. Green Bay f. Jacksonville via Seattle - David Wilson RB Va Tech
3 13 76 Houston from Philadelphia -Trumaine Johnson CB Montana
3 14 77 New York Jets - Tank Carder ILB TCU
3 15 Oakland Exercised in Supplemental Draft
3 16 78 San Diego - Orson Charles TE Georgia
3 17 79 Chicago - Bruce Irvin OLB West Virginia
3 18 80 Titans f. Min. f. arizona - Dwight Bentley CB Louisianna Lafiette

Couple of names came off the board that I was interested in. Dennard, Brooks, Lewis, Irvin...

But I knew who I wanted and his name didn't get taken. After going defense with my first 2 picks, I wanted to go offense. Specifically offensive line. As I said earlier Brandon Brooks was on my radar. Knowing that this draft was deep at OG allowed me to go for other positions in the earlier rounds first. However, I knew I couldn't put it off too much longer otherwise the well would be left dry. One name kept sliding... and I kept smiling.

3 19 81 Dallas - Brandon Washington OG DA U

When I made this pick, I was a happy man. First off, I love Miami players. They often tend to play better in the NFL than in college..and I especially love the ones Dallas had in the 90's. Michael Irvin and Russell Maryland. This pick reminded me that Dallas was heading back in that direction.

But the real reason I was so happy to get him is because Brandon Washington not only fits the profile of a Dallas Cowboys OL, but he is athletic, good on his feet, and most of all... VERSATILE. Yes, he is commonly projected to play Guard in the NFL, and I think he would provide nice competition for one of those spots if that's what the team decided for him best. But he also provides usefulness at either Tackle spot in any emergency since he has the experience there in college. I hear the concerns that our depth is weak there and Washington improves that while not increasing the count of bodies on the roster.

That said, here's the real kicker. This is the real reason why I wanted to draft him badly. Brandon Washington can also play Center. He played every position on the line at Miami including Center. Miami plays a pro style offense and the transition to NFL Center would not be a difficult one for him. It might take some time, but he could definitely make a career out of it if that's where the Cowboys wanted to do. Worst case scenario, he stays at Guard and hopefully Arkin or Bernadeau would pan out at Center instead. Either way, as far as this draft was concerned, I was not looking to draft another Center later in this draft. I had the chance to take Philip Blake here and was close to doing it, but overall, I felt Washington was offering me more and was a better overall talent.

Here's how the rest of Round 3 went:

3 20 82 Cleveland f. Tennessee -Marvin Jones, WR, Cal-Berkeley
3 21 83 Cincinnati - Dwayne Allen TE Clemson
3 22 84 Atlanta - Atlanta selects Isaiah Pead, RB Cincy
3 23 85 Detroit - George Iloka Boise St.
3 24 86 Green Bay f. Pittsburgh - CB Casey Haywood Vanderbilt
3 25 87 Denver - Josh Norman CB Coastal Carolina
3 26 88 Philadelphia from Houston - Ryan Broyles WR Oklahoma
3 27 89 New Orleans - Keenan Robinson OLB Texas
3 28 90 Jags f. Green Bay - chris givens,wr wake forest
3 29 91 Baltimore - Joe Adams, WR, Arkansas
3 30 92 San Francisco -Jared Crick DE Nebraska
3 31 93 New England - Philip Blake C Baylor
3 32 94 New York Giants - Marvin McNutt WR Iowa
3 33 95 Oakland (Compensatory Selection) -Sean Spence OLB Miami

Biggest bummer was seeing Josh Norman get taken, but I knew he wasn't going to reach me in the middle of Round 4. The rest of those picks didn't bother me one bit.

D-Unit
04-15-2012, 05:15 AM
Too tired... will post the rest tomorrow.

Trogdor
04-15-2012, 07:11 AM
Solid picks when you held your draft choice :P

Those are some horrible trades though. You got ripped off on every one lol.

pocketaces
04-15-2012, 08:43 AM
Yeah I would have stayed in round 2 and gone McClellin or Curry. In round 3 you could have still grabbed Hosley. Brockers, Boykins, and Washington is a nice haul, I would like another pressure player. Maybe one is coming? :great:

Trogdor
04-15-2012, 09:41 AM
Keep working through different scenarios just so I can select some different prospects.

We hit the clock at 14 and our phone BLOWS up. NE, NYJ, DET, and Pitt all want to trade up.

Clock winding down and the end of days has to be coming (the Patriots just traded up).

Dallas trades the 14th and 113th selections for the 27th and 31st selections in the 2012 NFL draft.

27) Peter Konz, C, Wisconsin
31) Janoris Jenkins, CB, North Alabama
45) Shea McClellin OLB, Boise State
81) Jared Crick , DT, Nebraska
135) Emmanuel Acho, ILB, Texas
152) Ryan Broyles, WR, Oklahoma
186) George Bryan, TE, North Carolina State
222) G.J. Kinne, QB, Tulsa

Opening Day Projected Lineup:

Offense:

LT: Smith, Parnell (swing tackle)
LG: Livings, Arkin
C: Konz, Killer Kowa
RG: Bernadeau, Nagy
RT: Free, Parnell (swing tackle)

QB: Romo, Orton, Kinne
RB: Murray, Jones, Tanner
FB: Vickers
TE: Witten, Phillips, Bryan
WR: Austin, Bryant, Broyles, Radway, Harris, Holmes

Defense:

RDE: Hatcher, Spears, Gaithers
NT: Ratliff, Brent, Calloway
LDE Lissemore, Crick, Calloway

ROLB: Ware, McClellin, Albright
ILB: Lee, Carter, Connor, Acho
LOLB: Spencer, McClellin, Butler

CB: Carr, Jenkins, Scandrick, J. Jenkins, Butler

FS: Pool, McCray, Taplin-Ross
SS: Sensabaugh, Church

Specialists:

K: Bailey
P: Jones
LS: Ladouceur

CDCB14
04-15-2012, 09:47 AM
That's probably one of the best possible scenarios i've seen. My only complaint is that Jared Crick is too much of a JAG/Marcus Spears clone, but at least it's new blood and he brings that country boy lunch pail attitude.

Love everything else. Konz and Jenkins are huge upgrade this season and in the future, McCellin is great, like Acho's athleticism and should be a special teams ace, and Broyles should be a stud slot.

Nice work.

pocketaces
04-15-2012, 10:25 AM
Im hearing McClellin wont get out of the end of the first round. Heard GB loves him too.

Trogdor
04-15-2012, 10:53 AM
Im hearing McClellin wont get out of the end of the first round. Heard GB loves him too.

Yep. Just picked him as the one that slid. Could easily be Chandler Jones, Nick Perry, Andre Branch, etc.

D-Unit
04-15-2012, 12:05 PM
Solid picks when you held your draft choice :P

Those are some horrible trades though. You got ripped off on every one lol.
I definitely questioned myself after trading down in Round 2, and I do agree that moving down from the middle of the 4th to the beginning of the 5th was a high price to pay for getting Boykin.... but there was the man crush factor that pushed me into doing it. ;) ...and in the end, I got who I was planning to take in Round 2.

D-Unit
04-15-2012, 12:19 PM
Yeah I would have stayed in round 2 and gone McClellin or Curry. In round 3 you could have still grabbed Hosley. Brockers, Boykins, and Washington is a nice haul, I would like another pressure player. Maybe one is coming? :great:
I totally get the want for an OLB, but honestly, I would expect a much improved pressure player in Spencer with a guy like Brockers up front. If I was taking one in Round 2 it would've been Chandler Jones. Not McClellin (who I think will be a bust or very mediocre) or Curry (who I think is not much better than Victor Butler). If the draft had gone 7 rounds, I would've taken Frank Alexander, the DE from Oklahoma. He's one of my favorite sleepers. Can rush, step back and cover and stop the run. A jack of all trades, master of none type of guy, but I like his potential and hunger.

The difference between Hosley and Boykin is pretty high for me. Hosley is not a very physical player, and he has a slight frame and concussion worries. With someone playing so close to the LOS, I didn't want to go with Hosley. I was actually planning on waiting until later in the draft to grab Ron Brooks if I couldn't get Boykin.

D-Unit
04-15-2012, 12:21 PM
Keep working through different scenarios just so I can select some different prospects.

We hit the clock at 14 and our phone BLOWS up. NE, NYJ, DET, and Pitt all want to trade up.

Clock winding down and the end of days has to be coming (the Patriots just traded up).

Dallas trades the 14th and 113th selections for the 27th and 31st selections in the 2012 NFL draft.

27) Peter Konz, C, Wisconsin
31) Janoris Jenkins, CB, North Alabama
45) Shea McClellin OLB, Boise State
81) Jared Crick , DT, Nebraska
135) Emmanuel Acho, ILB, Texas
152) Ryan Broyles, WR, Oklahoma
186) George Bryan, TE, North Carolina State
222) G.J. Kinne, QB, Tulsa

Opening Day Projected Lineup:

Offense:

LT: Smith, Parnell (swing tackle)
LG: Livings, Arkin
C: Konz, Killer Kowa
RG: Bernadeau, Nagy
RT: Free, Parnell (swing tackle)

QB: Romo, Orton, Kinne
RB: Murray, Jones, Tanner
TE: Witten, Phillips, Bryan
WR: Austin, Bryant, Broyles, Radway, Harris, Holmes

Defense:

RDE: Hatcher, Spears, Gaithers
NT: Ratliff, Brent, Calloway
LDE Lissemore, Crick, Calloway

ROLB: Ware, McClellin, Albright
ILB: Lee, Carter, Connor, Acho
LOLB: Spencer, McClellin, Butler

CB: Carr, Jenkins, Scandrick, J. Jenkins, Butler

FS: Pool, McCray, Taplin-Ross
SS: Sensabaugh, Church

Specialists:

P: Jones
LS: Ladouceur
Who do you those teams want to trade up for? The only one I could really see is maybe NE wanting Brockers.

Trogdor
04-15-2012, 12:48 PM
Who do you those teams want to trade up for? The only one I could really see is maybe NE wanting Brockers.

NE: Brockers or Ingram
Jets: Ingram
Lions: Gilmore
Pitt: Kuechly

I was just envisioning a "perfect" scenario for us involving a trade down. Not saying it's plausible :)

D-Unit
04-15-2012, 01:13 PM
OK, so moving on to Round 4. By now I had drafted Brockers, Boykin and Washington, but there was one particular player that I was hoping to goodness would fall to us... at the same time, another name high on my radar kept dropping and dropping. A guy who I thought should've definitely been off the board by now was falling well into Round 4. DEREK WOLFE!

This is how the beginning of Round 4 went:

4 1 96 St. Louis - Chase Minnefield CB Virginia
4 2 97 Indianapolis - Josh Chapman DT Alb
4 3 98 Minnesota - Juton Criner WR Arizona
4 4 99 Houston from Tampa Bay through Philadelphia - Johnathan Massaquoi OLB Troy
4 5 100 Cleveland - Nick Foles QB Arizona
4 6 101 Jacksonville - Cam Johnson
4 7 102 Washington - Antonio Allen
4 8 103 Miami - Ladarious Green
4 9 104 Carolina - Ryan Steed
4 10 105 Buffalo - Nigel Bradham LB FL State
4 11 106 Cincinnati from Seattle - Nick Toon WR
4 12 107 Kansas City - Omar Bolden, CB, Arizona St
4 13 108 Denver from New Yo rk Jets - Brandon Weeden
4 14 109 Washington from Oakland - Adrien Cole ILB Loisianna Tech
4 15 110 San Diego - LaMichael James
4 16 111 Tampa Bay f/ Chicago - Demario Davis Arkansas State

When Wolfe was still available a few picks ahead of me, I started dialing up the phones. First chatted with San Diego... I was afraid they would take either of my 2 main targets here. Asked them if they were interested in trading down and they said no. So I asked who they were planning on taking. With no risk of saying, they told me either LaMichael James or Brandon Taylor. PHEW! Not one of the guys I wanted. Still tried to talk trade, but we didn't come to an agreement.

Next, I dialed up Tampa Bay. They too were not interested in trading down. They didn't want to tell me who they were taking either. Before our conversation finished about trade, he told me they sent their card in. So they really wanted someone here. I didn't know who, so there was some suspense until they announced that they took Demario Davis. PHEW. Not a target of mine.

Then with the pick before mine, Arizona was otc. Now this was a team that I knew would possibly take Wolfe. The day before fenikz had name dropped Derek Wolfe in the chat room! So I was not really hopeful of getting a deal done. At this point, the only offer I could make was giving up my 2 5th rounders for his 4th rounder. Would he take it??? Was it worth it??? I wasn't sure about the trade value... but I had a golden opportunity here to land my main target, PLUS Wolfe!

Much to my surprise, ARZ was very willing to accept my offer and I said, what the heck, if I can get Wolfe for 2 5ths, I'm doing it! Even after drafting Brockers in Round 1. This was too great of an opportunity. So we made the deal and I was on the clock for 2 picks in a row.

With the 1st pick, I took:

4 17 112 Dallas from Arizona - Robert Turbin Utah State

You guys have seen me mock us with a RB before... even Doug Martin using our 2nd rounder. You've seen me criticize Felix Jones. FYI, I put Felix on the block early in the forum mock and nobody even wanted to offer me a 5th rounder for him. I wasn't going to let him go for anything less than a 4th. However, that didn't stop me from trying to upgrade the position. The only other RB in this entire draft outside of Martin, who interests me is Turbin. ...and I have a major crush on him. He's built like a TANK. His 1700 yards and 23 TDs last season had me wanting! We need a guy like that on short yardage and ESPECIALY in the red zone, where we have been totally inept during Garrett's reign as OC/HC.

With the obvious commitment to improving the run this offseason (Livings, Bernadeau, Vickers, Callahan)... I needed to grab a back to seal the deal. The Cowboys seem to want to be able to ground 'n pound when they want. Closing out games and running out the clock has been Garrett's achilles heel. Robert Turbin is just a guy that I HAD TO HAVE. Had I not been able to acquire the pick from PHX, I still would've taken Turbin ahead of Wolfe. He looks like Emmitt Smith wearing an incredible hulk suit!

http://imgs.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2012/03/08/sp-turbin09_PH1_WRE0107122227.jpg

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/photo_images/5710094/20120226_kdl_ss1_222.jpg

http://prod.static.patriots.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/articles/photos-for-articles/20120410-robert-turbin.jpg

But I WAS able to get Phoenix's pick. So with my next selection, I took the Wolfe man.

4 18 113 Dallas - DE Derek Wolfe, Cincinnati

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/001/081/996/Derek-Wolfe-MG-6365_original_display_image.jpg

To be able to add Wolfe to our DL, in my mind... just made the front line DOMINANT. My goodness, the thought of Brockers, Wolfe, Ratliff, Hatcher, Brent, and Lissemore brings tears of joy just at the thought of it. We'd be able to maintain a high level of play all throughout the game by rotating guys and keeping them fresh. The pass rush and secondary would also see huge dividends their way as well.

Don't forget... I may have given up our 2 5ths, but I still had another pick this round with our 4th round comp pick.

pocketaces
04-15-2012, 01:31 PM
Very nice!

HEISMANHERSCHEL
04-15-2012, 01:36 PM
I have to say when I was reading this play out and I saw that you traded out of the second, I was gonna blast you into next week.

But after I looked at how the rest of the second round played out after you traded down, I really didn't see anyone that I couldn't live without. I guess that if you don't feel like you absolutely love the pick you should trade down. So I have to say I approve. And after looking at the haul that you brought home, I think it is really good. I could see several of the guys you drafted getting a lot of playing time.

I did think Irvin was going to fall to you in the third for a minute, and I got completely stoked. Even though he is an absolute water head, I have to say I was gonna have to take you to dinner for that if you traded down and still came home with him.

I am really not sure what some of theses guys are not happy with. I think we all know that our draft will probably not look this good in real life. Right? Does anyone really think Jerry is gonna do better than this?

I didn't think so.

D-Unit
04-15-2012, 02:28 PM
Trading down out of Round 2 really afforded me the luxury in Rounds 3 and 4 to get some good value. Admittingly, I was on a high after how the draft was unfolding so far and I had some ideas of what to do with my last pick of this mock draft (since it only went 5 rounds deep), but wasn't quite sure.

Here is how the rest of the round 4 went. We had the last pick of the round.

4 19 114 Philadelphia - Trenton Robinson S Michigan Stae
4 20 115 Tennessee - Jake Bequette DE Arkansas
4 21 116 Tampa Bay f. Cincinnati - Brandon Taylor S LSU
4 22 117 Detroit - Terrell Manning OLB UNC
4 23 118 Indy f. Dallas from Cleveland from Atlanta - Devon Wylie, WR, Fresno st
4 24 119 Green Bay f. Pittsburgh - C Michael Brewster - Ohio State
4 25 120 Denver - Billy Winn DT Boise State
4 26 121 Houston - Michael Egnew TE Mizzu
4 27 122 New Orleans -Tyrone Crawford DE Boise State
4 28 123 Jacksonville f. Green Bay - Jaye Howard DT/Florida
4 29 124 JAx Buffalo from Baltimore - Leonard Johnson
4 30 125 San Francisco - Bernard Pierce RB Temple
4 31 126 New England - Trevor Guyton DE/OLB Cal
4 32 127 New York Giants - Vick Ballard RB Miss St
4 33 128 Minnesota (Compensatory Selection) - Phillip Thomas, FS, Syracuse
4 34 129 Oakland (Compensatory Selection) - David Paulson
4 35 130 Baltimore (Compensatory Selection) - Audie Cole
4 36 131 New York Giants (Compensatory Selection) - Tom Compton
4 37 132 Green Bay (Compensatory Selection) -QB Russell Wilson - Wisconsin
4 38 133 Green Bay (Compensatory Selection) - S Justin Bethel - Presbyterian
4 39 134 Minnesota (Compensatory Selection) - Senio Kelemete OG Washington

I thought of addressing TE... but the guys I wanted in Ladarius Green and Michael Egnew were taken off the board.

I thought of taking a tall possession receiver... maybe Jeff Fuller or Dwayne Jones here... but both have issues hanging onto the ball, so I didn't want a possession receiver with bad hands.

I thought of taking a C here... Molk? He was available, and the value was good. But I took Brandon Washington in Round 3 with the hopes that he would be made into our starting Center. Wouldn't have to deal with Molk's whole "undersized" issues.

With no other offensive issues to look at, I turned to the defensive side of the ball. DL was set. I was satisfied at CB for now. At OLB, I like Frank Alexander and would take him in Round 6 if I had the chance. Obviously Round 4 would not be a great value pick for him here.

I thought of adding ILB depth... should I roll the dice on Vontaze??? nahhh... the bigger worry for me was at Safety. I would be ok adding either a SS or FS here. But the main thing was that in either case, the guy would have to have better coverage skills more than anything else.

I am a big fan of Justin Bethel and thought he would last to me. I even questioned whether I was reaching with that pick. But to my surprise, he was taken by the Packers just 2 picks in front of me! DAMN. OK, I had to reset. One name I thought of was De'quan Menzie from Alabama. He's a tough little corner who I thought might be a good candidate to move to Safety in the NFL. I looked at some rankings out there and saw names like Brandon Hardin from Oregon St, but I really don't know much about him. I saw Anthony Henry from Wisconsin, but I think he's a JAG with limited upside.

Then I did some quick research on a long time favorite, who's stock seems to be all over the place. Could go higher than this or could easily go till Round 6 or 7. As I was researching about him, I came across this...

"Janzen Jackson, McNeese State, DB: The former five-star recruit had some great moments as a Vol, but also was plagued by off-field issues at Tennessee. No one ever doubt his athleticism though. He finished his college career back in Louisiana at McNeese and will be looking to get back in scouts good graces with a big showing in Indy. Jackson's pre-combine workouts in Louisiana have impressed his trainer, former NFL player Wyatt Harris: "I have trained some great athletes here at Sonic Boom. People like Marques Colston, Robert Meachem, Tracy Porter, Jacoby Jones and Devery Henderson, and I have never had an athlete like him here," Harris told Houma Today. "He is the best athlete that's ever trained at Sonic Boom. His athleticism is freakish and his speed, quickness and ease of movement are at the very top of the athletic ladder. He applies all that athletic ability to the football field. He is just not a great athlete, but he can play a high level of football also. He is going to knock the socks off of these other safeties he tests against at the combine." - Bruce Feldman, CBSSports.com"

I knew then, who I would take...

4 40 135 Dallas (Compensatory Selection) - FS Janzen Jackson, McNeese St.

http://i.usatoday.net/sports/gallery/2012/02/28/s120228_02combine-pg-horizontal.jpg

http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Jenkins_Janoris-North-Alabama-NFL-combine-2-28-12.jpg

This may have been a little early for Jackson, I'm not totally sure. But the 4th round compensatory pick was exactly that. Essentially, an advantageous 5th round pick which gave me the luxury to reach a little in order to secure his pick. So I went with Jackson's upside. I think he's got starting potential at least. Shane wasn't very high on the pick in his commentary, but I was ok with it. I like his upside and I think the chance to play in the NFL will have him more buckled down. His father is a football coach, so hopefully he's helped Janzen square his head.

This pick competed my job in this forum mock. If it had continued, I probably would have taken OLB Frank Alexander in Round 6 and TE Rhett Ellison in Round 7... if I had the chance at either.

Oh and in the Supplemental draft, you know I'm offering up our 2nd rounder for Bacarri Rambo. Ba-am.

Hope you enjoyed my insight commentary to this mock. Thanks for reading and responding. :)

pocketaces
04-15-2012, 03:51 PM
Good job. Now you need to do our projected roster with those picks.:yes:

cmd34
04-15-2012, 05:19 PM
I love the Janzen pick and the Rambo idea.

D-Unit
04-15-2012, 06:22 PM
Good job. Now you need to do our projected roster with those picks.:yes:
OK.

Offense
QB: Romo, Orton, McGee
RB: Murray, Jones, Turbin

WR: Austin, Holley
WR: Bryant, Ogletree or Holmes or Radway or UDFA
SWR: Harris, Boykin (limited)
TE: Witten, Phillips, Ellison

LT: Smith, Parnell
LG: Livings, Nagy
C: Washington/Bernadeau, Costa
RG: Bernadeau/Washington, Arkin
RT: Free

--------------------------------------------------

Defense
DE: Hatcher, Wolfe
NT: Ratliff/Brockers, Brent
DE: Brockers/Ratliff, Lissemore, Spears

OLB: Ware, Alexander
ILB: Lee, Satele
ILB: Carter, Connor
OLB: Spencer, Butler, Albright

CB: Jenkins, Scandrick
CB: Carr, McCann
NB: Boykin
FS: Pool, Jackson
SS: Sensabaugh, Rambo

ST
P: McBriar
LS: Lacodeur
KR: Felix Jones
PR: Boykin

TheFinisher
04-15-2012, 08:07 PM
I think my head would explode if the first 4 rounds went like that. I love it!

D-Unit
04-16-2012, 12:04 AM
I think my head would explode if the first 4 rounds went like that. I love it!
Haha. Thanks! The thing about it too is that the mock draft included a lot of different people from around the web. Not just NFLDC guys. SidelineScouting.com writer, SportsCity Chefs, twitter folks and some others who follow the draft but don't have accounts here. Not sure if that means they know less or more about the draft, but I thought at least you have a more wide range of individuals.

D-Ware Nightmare
04-16-2012, 06:05 AM
OK.

Offense
QB: Romo, Orton, McGee
RB: Murray, Jones, Turbin

WR: Austin, Holley
WR: Bryant, Ogletree or Holmes or Radway or UDFA
SWR: Harris, Boykin (limited)
TE: Witten, Phillips, Ellison

LT: Smith, Parnell
LG: Livings, Nagy
C: Washington/Bernadeau, Costa
RG: Bernadeau/Washington, Arkin
RT: Free

Defense
DE: Hatcher, Wolfe
NT: Ratliff/Brockers, Brent
DE: Brockers/Ratliff, Lissemore, Spears

OLB: Ware, Alexander
ILB: Lee, Satele
ILB: Carter, Connor
OLB: Spencer, Butler, Albright

CB: Jenkins, Scandrick
CB: Carr, McCann
NB: Boykin
FS: Pool, Jackson
SS: Sensabaugh, Rambo

ST
P: McBriar
LS: Lacodeur
KR: Felix Jones
PR: Boykin

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

While I am not crazy on the value of the trades, you can not argue with the final outcome. Brockers is a beast, who requires time. But you have to emphasize a players ceiling when drafting and Brockers' is skyhigh. And Wolfe's motor would be contagious, and give us a bunch of animals in the trenches with that group. I gave Rambo the weed brownie too, you guys can all thank me after we get him at a discount, best safety since Berry in my eyes. But adding Boykin, Rambo, and Jackson fixes our secondary for the next 5+ years. And it would add leverage against Jenkins, the same guy that said last week that there are maybe 2 or 3 corners better than him in the NFL. He is pricing himself right out of Dallas on a draft day trade, I just smell it for some reason. But nobody really ever eludes to the 2012 vs 2013 draft strengths. This years class is deep in WR, int OL, CB, and borderline but top end DL. 13' [I]appears[I] to be loaded at QB, RB, OT, DE/OLB especially loaded, & S. It just seems to make sense after tagging Spencer to wait a year on an OLB anyway when a legit premier pass rusher is available. Same with S. Everyone seems to have a pet cat S for next year on this board. I really think Stephen Jones/JG's added input has set this franchise up for a return to glory as our draft needs appear to be right in line with the projected strengths of upcoming draft classes. Well done on the mock and the postings of the draft order. It's refreshing to see a scenario with so much trading, as most mocks dont take an inevitable into account! But that lineup excites me!

D-Unit
04-16-2012, 03:15 PM
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

While I am not crazy on the value of the trades, you can not argue with the final outcome. Brockers is a beast, who requires time. But you have to emphasize a players ceiling when drafting and Brockers' is skyhigh. And Wolfe's motor would be contagious, and give us a bunch of animals in the trenches with that group. I gave Rambo the weed brownie too, you guys can all thank me after we get him at a discount, best safety since Berry in my eyes. But adding Boykin, Rambo, and Jackson fixes our secondary for the next 5+ years. And it would add leverage against Jenkins, the same guy that said last week that there are maybe 2 or 3 corners better than him in the NFL. He is pricing himself right out of Dallas on a draft day trade, I just smell it for some reason. But nobody really ever eludes to the 2012 vs 2013 draft strengths. This years class is deep in WR, int OL, CB, and borderline but top end DL. 13' [I]appears[I] to be loaded at QB, RB, OT, DE/OLB especially loaded, & S. It just seems to make sense after tagging Spencer to wait a year on an OLB anyway when a legit premier pass rusher is available. Same with S. Everyone seems to have a pet cat S for next year on this board. I really think Stephen Jones/JG's added input has set this franchise up for a return to glory as our draft needs appear to be right in line with the projected strengths of upcoming draft classes. Well done on the mock and the postings of the draft order. It's refreshing to see a scenario with so much trading, as most mocks dont take an inevitable into account! But that lineup excites me!
Thanks man! Appreciate the input. I found it interesting that people are an advocate of trading down in the 1st, but not in the 2nd. I did the opposite in this draft, and I think it turned out ok.

I have 2 questions though.

How do you guys like the suggestion of Brandon Washington at Center?

and

I didn't see any comments on my selection of Turbin... Am I alone there?

Bonzai
04-16-2012, 06:12 PM
Trade down to late 20's...

1st. Konz C Wisconsin
2nd. Shea McClellin OLB Boise State
2nd. Amini Silatolu OG Midwestern
3rd. Alameda Ta'amu NT Washington
4th. George Illoka S Boise State
4th. Marvin Jones WR Cal
5th, 6th,7th....blah blah

Realistic? If we could pull this off we would be SET, imo. I would rather opt for a NT than a DE because I really want to kick Rat to the DE spot and have a space eater in the middle. Not a huge fan of Konz, but he is the best in the draft and infinitely better than Costa. If bernadeau or livings could do a good job then that would be helpful and we could draft a different position in the 1st and get a guy like silatolu to fill in for whatever guard would move to center.

Honestly, it would probably piss a lot of people off but I almost want to take Kirk Cousins in the second. Admittedly, I did not watch him in action this year for the most part, but watching him in the Senior Bowl and throw at the combine makes me want him. Groom him for a couple years and then let him takeover. I guess if we see Romo around for another 5+ years it may be too early to take a guy that early, though, so I'm not sure if it's time to make one of those pickups yet. I just hate our mentality of always drafting for holes and then we end up with no depth or no guys to step up when others leave like a lot of the great teams do.

leroyisgod
04-17-2012, 08:46 AM
Trade down to late 20's...

1st. Konz C Wisconsin
2nd. Shea McClellin OLB Boise State
2nd. Amini Silatolu OG Midwestern
3rd. Alameda Ta'amu NT Washington
4th. George Illoka S Boise State
4th. Marvin Jones WR Cal
5th, 6th,7th....blah blah

Realistic? If we could pull this off we would be SET, imo. I would rather opt for a NT than a DE because I really want to kick Rat to the DE spot and have a space eater in the middle. Not a huge fan of Konz, but he is the best in the draft and infinitely better than Costa. If bernadeau or livings could do a good job then that would be helpful and we could draft a different position in the 1st and get a guy like silatolu to fill in for whatever guard would move to center.

Honestly, it would probably piss a lot of people off but I almost want to take Kirk Cousins in the second. Admittedly, I did not watch him in action this year for the most part, but watching him in the Senior Bowl and throw at the combine makes me want him. Groom him for a couple years and then let him takeover. I guess if we see Romo around for another 5+ years it may be too early to take a guy that early, though, so I'm not sure if it's time to make one of those pickups yet. I just hate our mentality of always drafting for holes and then we end up with no depth or no guys to step up when others leave like a lot of the great teams do.

I'd be fairly pleased with this draft. However, I think trading back in the first is going to be harder than well think. I don't see many teams wanting to trade up to 14 unless someone slips in the 1st or else Floyd hasn't been taken yet.

Trogdor
04-18-2012, 08:04 AM
Loving the mock of one of the front page writers on BtB.

14) Fletcher Cox, DE, MSU
45) Doug Martin, RB, BSU
81) Cam Johnson, DE, UVA
113) Ryan Broyles, WR, OU
135) Ron Brooks, CB, LSU
152) Ron Leary, OG, Memphis
186) Quentin Saulsberry, OC, MSU
222) Chris Greenwood, CB, Albion

leroyisgod
04-18-2012, 08:20 AM
Loving the mock of one of the front page writers on BtB.

14) Fletcher Cox, DE, MSU
45) Doug Martin, RB, BSU
81) Cam Johnson, DE, UVA
113) Ryan Broyles, WR, OU
135) Ron Brooks, CB, LSU
152) Ron Leary, OG, Memphis
186) Quentin Saulsberry, OC, MSU
222) Chris Greenwood, CB, Albion

I don't know much about the last three picks, but I could dig this. Martin is a luxury pick in the 2nd if were keeping Jones, but I really like him and would love it.

Would like to see a TE in there somewhere.

D-Unit
04-18-2012, 12:35 PM
I don't know much about the last three picks, but I could dig this. Martin is a luxury pick in the 2nd if were keeping Jones, but I really like him and would love it.

Would like to see a TE in there somewhere.
Chris Greenwood is a guy that our very own Jerome Henderson held a personal workout with and was said to come away very impressed. He's a D3 guy, which is rare for anyone from D3 to make it in the NFL, but yeah, our coaching staff is definitely onto him, so that pick makes a lot of sense.

Ron Leary is a guy who Bill Callahan went to make a personal visit with. Again, I think BtB's mock is quite aligned with the visits/interest that our coaching staff has.

Not too high on Cam Johnson myself though. ...and I think Cox is gone before our pick.

Finnegan007
04-18-2012, 02:01 PM
The cowboys have put themselves in a good situation following free agency to get the best person available. I believe Jerry will probably go with the person that can make the most impact on defense. Here is my updated mock.

1st Rd: Dontari Poe DT/NT
With the combine behind us and Poe stock falling a little bit the cowboys get lucky and find an above average and possible great NT. People keep saying the tape does not match his measurables, An NT is supposed to make the rest of the defense better, not individual stats. A guy that big and fast just has to use all his might to move forward to help out Lee and the OLBs. It also instantly upgrades DE with Ratliff's move.

2nd Rd: Harrison Smith S
They have needed a good, smart Safety for a long time. His stock seems to be slipping a little heading up, which could be a good thing. If they do not get him, then they will have to draft a good Corner and move to safety.

3rd Rd. Bruce Irvin OLB
A guy that can do what spencer doesn't. Get sacks. They could work well together. Lots of upside.

4rd Rd. Jamell Fleming CB
We need a back up CB. This could be the most solid one available.

4rd Rd. Brian Quick WR
Dez and Miles can’t stay healthy during an entire season. The new lack of a real number three wr could hurt them. So in round 5 I hope they can take the tallest/fastest wr on their board, and hopefully they get a good one.

5th Rd, Aaron Henry S.
More seconday help. Sensabaugh is garbage.

6th Rd, Mike Daniels DE.
He’s a big, quicker DT that had good sack totals. Pressure from more places can only help. I guy from Iowa that I hope can have the kind of impact Karl Klug(rookie out of Iowa) had last year.

7th Rd: Chad Diehl FB
I Believe Vickers is a great pickup, but FBs take a lot of punishment. Another bull blocker would be great insurance. Also would be cool see some power I in goal line situations.

Trogdor
04-18-2012, 03:30 PM
Chris Greenwood is a guy that our very own Jerome Henderson held a personal workout with and was said to come away very impressed. He's a D3 guy, which is rare for anyone from D3 to make it in the NFL, but yeah, our coaching staff is definitely onto him, so that pick makes a lot of sense.

Ron Leary is a guy who Bill Callahan went to make a personal visit with. Again, I think BtB's mock is quite aligned with the visits/interest that our coaching staff has.

Not too high on Cam Johnson myself though. ...and I think Cox is gone before our pick.

Really? He seems exactly like the type of guy we'd target. High motor, great awareness, but hasn't put together all his physical tools into becoming a huge sack guy.

He's fluid too I think had he of been able to stay in the 3-4 his last two years rather than playing DE in a 4-3 under London he would be talked about higher. Par for the course he's also recovering from an injury plagued season and was ranked higher prior to this year.

Between him and Bequette I'm not sure who my biggest crush is at OLB this year.

But definitely locked in on the other two :) Our late round visits and workouts are almost always indicative of our late rounds plan.

leroyisgod
04-18-2012, 09:10 PM
In the middle of a new draft...

Round 1- David DeCastro- G- Stanford- I STILL BELIEVE
Round 2- Bruce Irvin- OLB- West Virginia- Ryan has to be licking his chops over hime
Round 3- Derek Wolfe- DE- Cincinnati- Brings some much needed energy to the D

CDCB14
04-18-2012, 09:43 PM

Greenwood is 6'2'' 200 pounds and runs a 4.42 with good tape, albeit at the D3 level. I'd take him in the 6th and have him compete with Mario Butler. Henderson seems like a legit secondary coach who actually develops his players (wow how awful was campo?), so he could be something down the line. Maybe we can sneak him on the practice squad if he struggles in training camp, but with those measurables I don't know.

CDCB14
04-18-2012, 09:44 PM
In the middle of a new draft...

Round 1- David DeCastro- G- Stanford- I STILL BELIEVE
Round 2- Bruce Irvin- OLB- West Virginia- Ryan has to be licking his chops over hime
Round 3- Derek Wolfe- DE- Cincinnati- Brings some much needed energy to the D

About to write a post in the draft thread about how DeCastro needs to be the pick. Keep the hope alive brotha!

cmd34
04-18-2012, 10:02 PM
About to write a post in the draft thread about how DeCastro needs to be the pick. Keep the hope alive brotha!

Amen. DeCastro needs to be the pick.

UTPATS
04-18-2012, 11:33 PM
Other than trading out of the perfect spot at 14 to take DeCastro, I am liking how this Mock is shaping up...

DRAFT PICKS
1.26) Nick Perry, OLB, USC
2.48) Jerel Worhty, DE, Michigan State
2.61) Brandon Boykin, CB, LA Lafayette
3.81) LaMichael James, RB, Oregon
4.113) Philip Blake, C, Baylor

We still have 4th compensation pick, 5th, two 6ths and a 7th...

Every guy so far will see playing time.
Perry as pass rusher or Ryan style packages.
Worthy will start oppo Hatcher by the time the first game rolls around.
Boykin as a returner and the 4th corner.
James as a returner and 'change of pace' back or special packages.
Blake will beat out Costa or Killer Kowalski by the first game.

leroyisgod
04-24-2012, 08:56 PM
Latest 4 rounder

Round 1- Mark Barron- S- Alabama
Round 2- Shea McClellin- OLB- Boise State
Round 3- Derek Wolfe- DE- Cincinnati
Round 4a- Phillip Blake- C- Baylor
Round 4b- Ryan Broyles- WR- Oklahoma

D-Unit
04-24-2012, 09:00 PM
Latest 4 rounder

Never was a McClellin fan. Recently heard he had 3 concussions. That's no good.

The rest of that draft looks fine. I'd be happy overall.

Bonzai
04-24-2012, 10:56 PM
Latest 4 rounder

If that happened, i dont think you would be able to ask for better. Im on the mcclellin wagon! Sounds like he's sneaking into the 1st though so im pretty bummed he probably won't be there in the 2nd for us.

CDCB14
04-25-2012, 12:02 AM
Derek Wolfe is not going to be on the board anywhere close to the 3rd round anymore. He may not even reach our 2nd rounder. New England has been connected to him with one of there 1st rounders. I doubt he goes that high, but stranger things have happened.

bigmac076
04-25-2012, 11:28 AM
My Final Draft

Round 1- Mark Barron - S - Alabama
Round 2- Derek Wolfe - DE - Cincinnati
Round 3- Philip Blake - C/OG - Baylor
Round 4a- Ryan Broyles - WR - Oklahoma
Round 4b- Ron Brooks - CB - LSU
Round 5- Emmanuel Acho - LB - Texas
Round 6- Junior Hemingway - WR - Michigan
Round 7- Cliff Harris - CB - Oregon

bigmac076
04-25-2012, 01:07 PM
Now that I look back I probably would go with a TE instead of Hemingway in the 6th. What do you guys think?

UTPATS
04-25-2012, 01:25 PM
Now that I look back I probably would go with a TE instead of Hemingway in the 6th. What do you guys think?

Give me Egnew in the 5th (if he is there) and Acho in the 6th

CDCB14
04-25-2012, 01:28 PM
My Final Draft

Round 1- Mark Barron - S - Alabama
Round 2- Derek Wolfe - DE - Cincinnati
Round 3- Philip Blake - C/OG - Baylor
Round 4a- Ryan Broyles - WR - Oklahoma
Round 4b- Ron Brooks - CB - LSU
Round 5- Emmanuel Acho - LB - Texas
Round 6- Junior Hemingway - WR - Michigan
Round 7- Cliff Harris - CB - Oregon

That's a great draft. If we don't go DeCastro in round one this is one of the best possibly drafts we could have. I don't know if Brooks will be there that late, but other than that it seems realistic.

leroyisgod
04-25-2012, 09:52 PM
Working on my final mock.

Round 1- Michael Brockers- DT- LSU- Not a fan, but it seems like reality
Round 2- Brandon Boykin- CB- Georgia- Like D, I have a man crush on him
Round 3- Orson Charles- TE- Georgia- Athletic TE, time to start grooming for future

Go Cowboys
04-26-2012, 11:44 AM
What I think will happen, not exactly what I would like to see happen.

1) Dontario Poe, DT, Memphis
I personally don't like the pick, I think the Garrett interview the other day is what sold me on this pick. He established multiple times that it was about game tape, which to me makes it seem like a smokescreen to not let teams think we are interested in Poe. I think he comes in and helps out the front 7 in multiple ways: He takes some pressure off Ratliff and upgrades our DE spot because Ratliff can now move over there.
In reality you could hypothetically be upgrading not just 1 starting spot but two for the price of one.
The last time we took a small school prospect in the first round..... It worked out pretty well for us. (D-Ware)

2) Whitney Mercilus, OLB, Illinois
I personally like Mercilus but I'm really not sure if he pans out perfectly. With the sudden rise of Chandler Jones it means that someone has to fall, I think that guy is Mercilus. If we are truly worried about getting a contract extension with Mike Jenkins next year (and thereby plan to use the tag on him) that would mean Spencer is likely to walk.
I see a lot of talk here about potential and let me tell you Mercilus has a ridiculous amount of potential, he blew up this year against Big Ten Offensive lineman, which are known for being above average at worst.

3) George Iloka, S, Boise State
Jerry doesn't have a problem with trying out taller safeties (Pat Watkins). Iloka started for 4 years on College Football's most winningest team in those 4 years. Question the competition level all you want but Iloka made plays. He will fall because of his height but he has all the makings of a complete safety prospect if he gets in the right situation.

4) Phillip Blake, C, Baylor
We brought him in for a visit, I think that speaks volumes to how we feel about the guy, it will just be all a matter of timing on when he is picked.

4b)Joe Adams, WR, Arkansas
Perfect mold for the slot receiver that we need and you can bet Garrett will be screaming for offensive help by this point in the draft.

5) Jayron Holsey, CB< Virginia Tech
I think failing the idiot test is the main and only reason he drops this far. With speculation that Janoris Jenkins might fall out of Round 2 growing that doesn't bode well for Holsey's stock at all. I think if he makes it here we jump on him.

6) Emmanuel Acho, MLB, Texas
The lesser of the two Texas Linebackers and I think the production of Tank Carder squeaks him above Acho. Provides depth and a PROVEN special teams player, as that is what he did for a year and a half at Texas.

7) Dustin Waldron, OT, Portland State
I think we consider the fact that we have 3 tackles on the roster at this point and bring in someone to Challenge Parnell for the backup spot. Addmittedly I don't know much about Waldron he just strikes me as a Dallas pick.

D-Unit
04-26-2012, 02:59 PM
My Cowboys Mock

1. DT Michael Brockers, LSU
2. CB Brandon Boykin, Georgia
3. C Philip Blake, Baylor
4. RB Robert Turbin, Utah State
4. WR Jeff Fuller, Texas A&M
5. LB Tank Carder, TCU
6. CB Chris Greenwood, Albion
7. OT Josh Oglesby, Wisconsin

My 2 Round Mock

Round 1
1. Indianapolis - QB Andrew Luck Stanford
2. Washington - QB Robert Griffin III Baylor
3. Minnesota - LT Matt Kalil USC
4. Cleveland - RB Trent Richardson Alabama
5. Tampa Bay - CB Morris Claiborne LSU
6. St. Louis - WR Justin Blackmon Okla. St.
7. Philadelphia f/Jacksonville - DT Fletcher Cox Miss. St.
8. Miami - WR Michael Floyd Notre Dame
9. Carolina - DE Quinton Coples North Carolina
10. Buffalo - LB Luke Kuechly Boston College
11. San Diego f/Kansas City - S Mark Barron Alabama
12. Seattle - DE Melvin Ingram South Carolina
13. Arizona - OT Riley Rieff Iowa
14. Dallas - DT Michael Brockers LSU
15. Jacksonville f/Philadelphia - CB Stephon Gilmore S. Carolina
16. New York Jets - DE Chandler Jones Syracuse
17. Cincinnati - CB Dre Kirkpatrick Alabama
18. Kansas City f/San Diego - QB Ryan Tannehill Texas A&M
19. Chicago - DE Whitney Mercilus Illinois
20. Tennessee - OG David Decastro Stanford
21. Cincinnati* - OT Cordy Glenn Georgia
22. Cleveland - WR Kendall Wright Baylor
23. Detroit* - DE Nick Perry USC
24. Pittsburgh* - G Kevin Zeitler Wisconsin
25. Denver* - LB Dont’a Hightower Alabama
26. Houston* - DT Dontari Poe Memphis
27. New England - LB Courtney Upshaw Alabama
28. Green Bay* - LB Shea Mclellin Boise St
29. Baltimore* - C Peter Konz Wisconsin
30. San Francisco* - OG Amini Silatolu Midwestern St.
31. New England* - RB Doug Martin Boise St
32. New York Giants* - TE Coby Fleener Stanford

Round 2
33. St. Louis - DT Jerel Worthy Mich. St.
34. Indianapolis - WR Rueben Randle LSU
35. Minnesota - CB Janoris Jenkins North Alabama
36. Tampa Bay - LB Lavonte David Nebraska
37. Cleveland - QB Brandon Weeden Oklahoma St.
38. Jacksonville- WR Stephen Hill Georgia Tech
39. St. Louis - OT Jonathan Martin Stanford
40. Carolina - LB Zach Brown North Carolina
41. Buffalo - CB Josh Robinson Central Florida
42. Miami - QB Brock Osweiler Arizona St
43. Seattle- LB Mychal Kendricks Cal
44. Kansas City - DT Alameda Ta’amu Washington
45. Dallas- CB Brandon Boykin Georgia
46. Philadelphia- LB Ronnell Lewis Oklahoma
47. New York Jets- WR Alshon Jeffrey South Carolina
48. New England - DT Kendall Reyes UConn
49. San Diego - DE Andre Branch Clemson
50. Chicago - OL Jeff Allen Illinois
51. Philadelphia - CB Trumaine Johnson Montana
52. Tennessee - DT Devon Still Penn St.
53. Cincinnati - CB Alfonzo Dennard Nebraska
54. Detroit - OT Bobby Massie Ole Miss
55. Atlanta - DE Vinny Curry Marshall
56. Pittsburgh - OT Mike Adams Ohio St.
57. Denver - RB Lamar Miller Miami
58. Houston - OG Brandon Brooks Miami Ohio
59. PICK FORFEITED
60. Green Bay- LB Bobby Wagner Utah State
61. Baltimore - OG Kelechi Osemele Iowa State
62. San Francisco - LB Bruce Irvin West Virginia
63. New England- CB Casey Hayward Vanderbilt
64. New York Giants - WR Mohammed Sanu Rutgers

CDCB14
04-26-2012, 03:07 PM
My Cowboys Mock

1. DT Michael Brockers, LSU
2. CB Brandon Boykin, Georgia
3. C Philip Blake, Baylor
4. RB Robert Turbin, Utah State
4. WR Jeff Fuller, Texas A&M
5. LB Tank Carder, TCU
6. CB Chris Greenwood, Albion
7. OT Josh Oglesby, Wisconsin

Sex besides round 1.

yanksknicks
04-26-2012, 06:24 PM
I have mine:

Round 1; Bobby Carpenter; LB; Ohio State
Round 2; Anthony Fasano; TE; Notre Dame
Round 3; Jason Hatcher; DE; Grambling State
Round 4; Skyler Green; WR; LSU
Round 5; Pat Watkins; S; Florida State
Round 6; Montavious Stanley; DT; Louisville
Round 7; Pat McQuistan; OT; Weber State

CDCB14
04-26-2012, 06:30 PM
I have mine:

Round 1; Bobby Carpenter; LB; Ohio State
Round 2; Anthony Fasano; TE; Notre Dame
Round 3; Jason Hatcher; DE; Grambling State
Round 4; Skyler Green; WR; LSU
Round 5; Pat Watkins; S; Florida State
Round 6; Montavious Stanley; DT; Louisville
Round 7; Pat McQuistan; OT; Weber State

Now that's a draft. I doubt Jerry is smart enough to make that happen though...

Oh wait, it was your savior Bill Parcells and his perennial average/below average drafts.

yanksknicks
04-26-2012, 06:41 PM
Now that's a draft. I doubt Jerry is smart enough to make that happen though...

Oh wait, it was your savior Bill Parcells and his perennial average/below average drafts.

Yeah, and his way above average player development.

Romo
Witten
Colombo
Ratliff
Ware

So weep all you want but I was told JERRY was in charge of everything?

I mean, if Jerry picked Ware then he must have picked Carpenter.

Problem is mo-mo-s like you want to have it both ways.

But sadly, Jerry is an imbecile as a GM who runs/creates/micro manages a way below average football organization.

I am sure he will disappoint as always tonight.

pocketaces
04-26-2012, 06:58 PM
Says the man that wanted Vontaze Burfict in the 1st ^^^:facepalm: