PDA

View Full Version : Lions looking for BPA?

P-L
03-29-2007, 02:47 PM
In this morning's Detroit Free Press there was an article on what Marinelli had to say about the draft. He said that he feels that the Lions have addressed the majority of their holes and that they aren't necessarily looking to fill holes at the #2 pick, but the want the best player. He also said he wants to get faster and get guys with high character. Marinelli said that it's still up in the air to whether they are going to go offense, defense, or try and trade down.

LonghornsLegend
03-29-2007, 02:50 PM
they passed leinart n cutler last year....why would they pass on quinn this year? they need a franchise qb, i wouldnt keep passing one over because of kitna....

what happens when they really need a new qb to step in, its not guaranteed they will ever pick as high as #2 again, they should jump at that opportunity

ironman4579
03-29-2007, 02:52 PM
I suppose if you always go BPA, you should conceivably get the best player at that slot every year(as the name implies) and improve your team. My problem with this thinking is that Millen hasn't historically been the best judge of talent and who actually is the BPA. We could be sitting at 2 and Millen thinks the BPA is Damyeon Hughes.

Scotty D
03-29-2007, 02:54 PM
BPA available, high character = Calvin Johnson.

Addict
03-29-2007, 03:01 PM
BPA available, high character = Calvin Johnson.

Absolutely. Although you could make the same argument for Joe Thomas and Brady Quinn, and IF they trade down Willis is still a very good option.

Bootland27
03-29-2007, 03:14 PM
IF they trade down Willis is still a very good option.

here comes Tactica, RAWR. :rolleyes:

dreadedluck
03-29-2007, 06:51 PM
Quinn is the only option. Franchises rarely get rid of qbs. On the other hand WR are always available in free agent markets, trades, and future drafts. When you are forced as a team to take a quarterback in the draft you limit yourself to that years crop. I do not want to see another Joey situation. When a former NFL coordinator spents that much time with a qb and gives him the highest regards, you have to lean towards common sense and sound references. CJ is awesome but who is more valuable to a team, any team. Montana and Young were more important then the greatest WR ever. Next year we will be talking about taking a qb again, and why cause no matter the stats Kitna has only two years or so left.

Xiomera
03-29-2007, 07:52 PM
CJ fits Marinelli's description . . . but is it a balk?

WMD
03-29-2007, 07:54 PM
We'll find out in a month!

TacticaLion
03-29-2007, 07:56 PM
here comes Tactica, RAWR. :rolleyes:

HAHA! HEY! Leave my comments out of this... you dont got beef with them! You heard?!

Yea. I think Willis fits the description perfectly. Marinelli can't come out and say "Yea... we'll only trade down this year..."... he has to make it sound like everyone is a possibility.

Addict
03-30-2007, 05:35 AM
Quinn is the only option. Franchises rarely get rid of qbs. On the other hand WR are always available in free agent markets, trades, and future drafts. When you are forced as a team to take a quarterback in the draft you limit yourself to that years crop. I do not want to see another Joey situation. When a former NFL coordinator spents that much time with a qb and gives him the highest regards, you have to lean towards common sense and sound references. CJ is awesome but who is more valuable to a team, any team. Montana and Young were more important then the greatest WR ever. Next year we will be talking about taking a qb again, and why cause no matter the stats Kitna has only two years or so left.

Montana and Young both got to throw AT the greatest wide receiver ever. Get real, Montana and Young were great quarterbacks, but Jerry Rice sure as hell made their lives a lot easier.

Quinn is an option, of course he is, but I think looking ahead to next year, there will be quite the quarterbacks class coming in, with a few huge talents, translation, we don't NEED to draft quarterback this year, if there are (and there will be) bigger needs to fill or better talents available, they should leave QB for what it is and depend on Kitna and (I hate saying this) McCown for one more year, draft a qb next year and everybody is happy.

One other thing I thought up, Millen is trying to redeem himself a bit in this draft after some (in hindsight) horrible choices for which he (unrightfully) has been blamed. CJ makes sense in that scenario considering that (I think we're all on the same page here) he is going to be HUGE in the NFL (at 6'5'', not surprising) but also he'll make people forget at least a little about disasters like C-Rog and BMW.

Addict
03-30-2007, 05:36 AM
and dreadedluck, for christ's sake, try using the enter button very now and again, it makes your posts more... readable.