PDA

View Full Version : 2012 49ers NFL Draft Gameday Thread

Pages : 1 2 [3]

dan77733
04-28-2012, 10:57 PM
What do you think the James pick means for Kendall?? How do you give them both carries? Don't tell me they are thinking of parting with Gore....

I think that both James and Hunter will split the playing time with Gore to give the Niners a three headed monster at RB and I could see any combination of the three in the same offensive play. I mainly think that drafting James is so they can let Gore go after 2012 and go more fast paced and up tempo style of offense especially once Kaepernick takes over.

I also think that the carries will be even at 33.3%. Have to limit Gore's carries so he can be more effective in goal line situations and so he'll be fresh and rested in December and January.

I also think James poses more of a threat to Kendall which I don't fully understand. This is the reason I did not like the James pick. I do think James is an upgrade don't get me wrong but I really like Kendall.

I like Hunter too but I view the James pick not as a threat to Hunter but as a change in direction at RB in the future. I think that Harbaugh wants to go in a more fast paced up tempo style once Gore is done. Also, James could be a Sproles type player which would be great for our offense. I'll be shocked if Gore, Hunter/James arent the top three RB's come September.

TaylorMaysBrokeMyHeart
04-28-2012, 11:06 PM
[quote=dan77733;2977321 I mainly think that drafting James is so they can let Gore go after 2012 and go more fast paced and up tempo style of offense especially once Kaepernick takes over.
[/QUOTE]

Very sad to think of us letting Gore go but it will need to be done if not in 2012 then in 2013. Kendall and James though, I don't know I guess they will have to add a 3rd back a la New Orleans after Gore is gone to give a more physical, up the middle presence. Kind of why I wanted Robert Turbin...

VAfy-ya
04-28-2012, 11:09 PM
I don't know if it's grandiose to say all the other teams in our division added more to their teams than we did,it's not necessarily true but it's certainly not unreasonable to say so. I would tend to agree if I had to give a yes/no answer. Or is that too negative for this cheerleader forum?

LOL, and how do you know this? Because they won your 'Paper Mock Draft 2012'? Last I checked, not one person drafted these last 3 days has played a snap of NFL football. And that ultimately determines who got better and who didn't. So you and your friend can keep playin the "rebel" card as the lone voices against a band of followers. Whatever helps you sleep better at night. But seeing as the rest of the division had much more ground to make up on us than we did on them, I fail to see how that statement means much at all if it were true. We had fewer holes to fill and one draft is going to make or break this team, for better or for worst when the core is well intact and primed for a run at a SB. Suprise such a independent thinker would have pinned all our hopes and dreams as team on 7 draft picks, half of whom probabaly wont even sniff the 53.

Borat
04-28-2012, 11:11 PM
To anyone relatively new posting in here, this is not 49erswebzone or 49ers.com message boards. We are a little bit more knowledgable and know what is going on. Most everyone's posts are well thought out and concise, so please don't bring any of that crap in here.

Thank you

Well said Ed. Cool it with the personal attacks guys.

edgrenade
04-28-2012, 11:14 PM
I didn't mean to single anyone out, or sound like a jerk, I was just tired of seeing all of the negative posts for no reason.

Like I said earlier, this team is really good, so a rookie is going to have a hard time seeing the field. So a lot of them are depth/developmental.

Here are my thoughts on the picks:

AJ Jenkins - Can develop into a Victor Cruz type of player with break away speed, and can help this team's abysmal 3rd down offense.

LaMichael James - Can develop into a Darren Sproles type of player. When he gets the ball in space, he is gone. Can come in right away and contribute on special teams as a returner.

Joe Looney - I am presuming that Kilgore wins the RG job. Like every NFL team, you suit up 7 players, Boone is the swing tackle, and Looney will be competing with Person to be the other guy that suits up on Sundays.

Darius Fleming - Comes in and is on every special teams. I see him and Cam Johnson competing to be the situational pass-rusher. Can develop into a rotational guy.

Trenton Robinson - Comes in day one and is a good special teams player. May see time in dime packages and could develop in a starting FS.

Jason Slowey - developmental interior lineman who can be the center of the future.

Cam Johnson - By ALL accounts a big steal. Will compete to be a third down pass-rusher and will contribute on special teams so he can suit up on gamedays. Kinda Reminds me of Brooks (besides the fact they both went to Virginia)

I think the guy that we see immediate impact from is James; either as a returner, or breaking off some big plays throughout the season.

Anyways, those are my thoughts on the class as of now. Just like last year, they may surprise us all and make a greater impact than we thought. Also, that 3rd round pick turned into 5 different picks including a 3rd next year! Baalke FTW

Side note: Tony Montana Squad is going to be even BETTER this year!!!

TaylorMaysBrokeMyHeart
04-28-2012, 11:15 PM
I think that both James and Hunter will split the playing time with Gore to give the Niners a three headed monster at RB and I could see any combination of the three in the same offensive play. I mainly think that drafting James is so they can let Gore go after 2012 and go more fast paced and up tempo style of offense especially once Kaepernick takes over.

I also think that the carries will be even at 33.3%. Have to limit Gore's carries so he can be more effective in goal line situations and so he'll be fresh and rested in December and January.

I like Hunter too but I view the James pick not as a threat to Hunter but as a change in direction at RB in the future. I think that Harbaugh wants to go in a more fast paced up tempo style once Gore is done. Also, James could be a Sproles type player which would be great for our offense. I'll be shocked if Gore, Hunter/James arent the top three RB's come September.

Well said Ed. Cool it with the personal attacks guys.

Excuse me the personal attacks DID NOT come from anyone new. So no, not well said. It would be well said if it were addressed to the people that were conducting the attacks.

TaylorMaysBrokeMyHeart
04-28-2012, 11:20 PM
LOL, and how do you know this? Because they won your 'Paper Mock Draft 2012'? Last I checked, not one person drafted these last 3 days has played a snap of NFL football. And that ultimately determines who got better and who didn't. So you and your friend can keep playin the "rebel" card as the lone voices against a band of followers. Whatever helps you sleep better at night. But seeing as the rest of the division had much more ground to make up on us than we did on them, I fail to see how that statement means much at all if it were true. We had fewer holes to fill and one draft is going to make or break this team, for better or for worst when the core is well intact and primed for a run at a SB. Suprise such a independent thinker would have pinned all our hopes and dreams as team on 7 draft picks, half of whom probabaly wont even sniff the 53.

I don't "know" this. That's why I qualified it by saying that it is not necessarily true and I never inferred that all of my hopes laid in the draft. Only that during these 3 days that we lost a little of the gap that we have between us and the other 3 teams in our division. That shouldn't be too shocking, after all that is what the draft is designed to do to some extent. The worse teams did pick before us after all. And yes this is my opinion, I am not stating it as fact, I guess I will need to add this disclaimer to each post...lol you guys have some characters here that's for sure.

VAfy-ya
04-28-2012, 11:23 PM
Concise and "Knowledgable"...LOL....from what I can tell if you don't want to hug Baalke around the knees every time he drafts, you get rude personal attacks in return. Yeah very concise and knowledgeable indeed...

EDIT: That was unnecessary Shupp

Rude person attacks? Sorry, maybe I missed those post but all I see is football being debated, as you so asked a couple of pages back, am I right? But I guess all us "yes men" who "follow Baalke blindly" should try better to make every poster who comes here reeking of negativity, feel more welcomed. Got'cha.

YAYareaRB
04-28-2012, 11:23 PM
and at the end of the day, aren't we all cheerleaders?

TaylorMaysBrokeMyHeart
04-28-2012, 11:29 PM
Rude person attacks? Sorry, maybe I missed those post but all I see is football being debated, as you so asked a couple of pages back, am I right? But I guess all us "yes men" who "follow Baalke blindly" should try better to make every poster who comes here reeking of negativity, feel more welcomed. Got'cha.

No, I never would accuse you of making a new poster feel welcomed..lol

YAYareaRB
04-28-2012, 11:31 PM
so fault us for supporting the opinion of a professional instead of an opinion from a message board

there seems to be this notion that we needed to find a game changer in the draft. is it too far fetched to think that, at our current position in the first round, we were just trying to find contributors? because if you didn't notice from last season, we are pretty darn good already.

TaylorMaysBrokeMyHeart
04-28-2012, 11:32 PM
and at the end of the day, aren't we all cheerleaders?

During the games definitely!! Not really a sheep when it comes to offseason personal moves though. We all have favorite players that we want, right?! Alright I'm sick of the debate I assumed I could state my dissatisfaction with the draft without having to defend myself for 4 pages.

Borat
04-28-2012, 11:33 PM
Excuse me the personal attacks DID NOT come from anyone new. So no, not well said. It would be well said if it were addressed to the people that were conducting the attacks.

That was a warning addressed to everyone. Had nothing to do with how long anyone has been here.

TaylorMaysBrokeMyHeart
04-28-2012, 11:34 PM
To anyone relatively new posting in here, this is not 49erswebzone or 49ers.com message boards. We are a little bit more knowledgable and know what is going on. Most everyone's posts are well thought out and concise, so please don't bring any of that crap in here.

Thank you

Not sure this is addressed to everyone...

YAYareaRB
04-28-2012, 11:35 PM
During the games definitely!! Not really a sheep when it comes to offseason personal moves though. We all have favorite players that we want, right?! Alright I'm sick of the debate I assumed I could state my dissatisfaction with the draft without having to defend myself for 4 pages.

well like i said earlier, stating your dissatisfaction is fine. we all do it season or offseason but, doing it over and over again gets on peoples nerves. if you look around a lot of us have been around here for a while and theres been plenty of negativity over the years.. but, coming off of a year that we just had, its just annoying.

Brent
04-28-2012, 11:36 PM
Had nothing to do with how long anyone has been here.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v14/Manzy/Fun%20Stuff%201/35m1jr9.gif

daggum whippersnappers!

Borat
04-28-2012, 11:38 PM

Man, can you just move on please?

Talk about the draft in this thread

Borat
04-28-2012, 11:39 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v14/Manzy/Fun%20Stuff%201/35m1jr9.gif

daggum whippersnappers!

Yeah, get off CJ's lawn.

Shupp
04-28-2012, 11:39 PM
well like i said earlier, stating your dissatisfaction is fine. we all do it season or offseason but, doing it over and over again gets on peoples nerves. if you look around a lot of us have been around here for a while and theres been plenty of negativity over the years.. but, coming off of a year that we just had, its just annoying.

Yeah this was all said earlier lol, damn this has gone way too long I think we can all agree, nobody ever wants to let the other person have the last word though.

Shupp
04-28-2012, 11:40 PM

Funny how you got blamed for it....lol

Shupp
04-28-2012, 11:42 PM
Man, can you just move on please?

Talk about the draft in this thread

geez, nobody ever said that to the, "elder statesman" earlier when all they did was criticize our opinions for two pages staright.

Brent
04-28-2012, 11:44 PM
Yeah, get off CJ's lawn.
Upon review, it seems you and I are the two most tenured of the active Niners fans, so someone has to play the "old man" card.

YAYareaRB
04-28-2012, 11:48 PM
lets just be happy that we're not the raiders

Shupp
04-28-2012, 11:48 PM
anyway, Cam Johnson! Badass upside. Could compete with Amad Brooks on 3rd down for the edge rusher opposite Aldon. Can't wait to watch some more video on this kid.

YAYareaRB
04-28-2012, 11:50 PM
honestly i dont know much about cam johnson. from what mcshay says his film doesn't match up with the workout numbers and i thought i seen someone say he has sickle cell which could get pretty serious if not handled properly

TaylorMaysBrokeMyHeart
04-28-2012, 11:53 PM
I really like Trent Robinson in round 6, I was hoping for Iloka in the 4th but I think Robinson will have a chance to be our 3rd safety relatively early.

TaylorMaysBrokeMyHeart
04-28-2012, 11:55 PM
I know nothing about Fleming though, seems a little undersized to play OLB in a 3-4, but maybe a core special teamer?

Borat
04-28-2012, 11:57 PM
Upon review, it seems you and I are the two most tenured of the active Niners fans, so someone has to play the "old man" card.

Damn, we joined on the same exact day. Did not know that. I know I'm older though so I'll go ahead and be the cranky neighbor.

VAfy-ya
04-28-2012, 11:59 PM
I don't "know" this. That's why I qualified it by saying that it is not necessarily true and I never inferred that all of my hopes laid in the draft. Only that during these 3 days that we lost a little of the gap that we have between us and the other 3 teams in our division. That shouldn't be too shocking, after all that is what the draft is designed to do to some extent. The worse teams did pick before us after all. And yes this is my opinion, I am not stating it as fact, I guess I will need to add this disclaimer to each post...lol you guys have some characters here that's for sure.

C'mon, quit playing the victim. Of course I know its your opinion. And Im telling you why I believe your opinion is based on flawed logic. You asked for dialogue but then when its not what you expect, its "us" that are the problem. I didnt attack you personally. Didnt call you any names like your friend did the other posters here. I gave you my take that your stance isnt a fair one. If your looking for me to agree with you, that ain't happening. So all our dialogue will be is two opposing views clashing. Seems you can't have someone disagree with you without seing it as some personal slight. Your problem sir, not mine.

And a little video I thought you might like. Still just "opinion" so take from it what you will
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/09000d5d828b80b1/2012-NFL-Draft-grades-NFC-West

phlysac
04-29-2012, 12:01 AM
I know nothing about Fleming though, seems a little undersized to play OLB in a 3-4, but maybe a core special teamer?

I'm wondering if Baalke eyes Fleming as an option at ILB as well as occasionally rushing from OLB.

Both Larry Grant and Tavares Gooden are on 1-year deals, and I thought Baalke expressed his dissatisfaction with Green Bay's selection of Terrell Manning, not Jonathan Massaquoi.

Dunno. Guess we'll find out.

TaylorMaysBrokeMyHeart
04-29-2012, 12:04 AM
C'mon, quit playing the victim. Of course I know its your opinion. And Im telling you why I believe your opinion is based on flawed logic. You asked for dialogue but then when its not what you expect, its "us" that are the problem. I didnt attack you personally. Didnt call you any names like your friend did the other posters here. I gave you my take on your stance isnt a fair one. If your looking for me to agree with you, that ain't happening. So all our dialogue will be is two opposing views clashing. Seems you can't have someone disagree with you without seing it as some personal slight. Your problem sir, not mine.

And a little video I thought you might like. Still just "opinion" so take from it what you will
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/09000d5d828b80b1/2012-NFL-Draft-grades-NFC-West

Oh geeze this is not close to what I was saying and I think you know that. This can go back and forth for another 25 posts or more but I think all has been said that needs to be said.

hawkeye123
04-29-2012, 12:06 AM
Really liked our draft. I think Jenkins and James will make an immediate impact.

It looked like Baalke missed out on some guys he wanted to get on day 3.

TaylorMaysBrokeMyHeart
04-29-2012, 12:07 AM
What do you guys think about the 3rd round pick we traded down twice with and ended up shipping our 4th for a 3rd next year?

VAfy-ya
04-29-2012, 12:08 AM
honestly i dont know much about cam johnson. from what mcshay says his film doesn't match up with the workout numbers and i thought i seen someone say he has sickle cell which could get pretty serious if not handled properly

He's absolutely right. Cam never amassed double digit sacks for us in any of his four years. Kept waiting for him to become that force on the edge and it never happened. I think he's a depth player at best. He's a underwhelming pass-rusher and just a ok athlete. Plus his medical had alot to do with his fall. He has sickle cell anemia and it causes him joint and muscle pain at times as well as causing him to tire quicker than the average person. That's one thing I always questioned....his motor. I'll be surprised if he makes the team honestly. But he was good value there so I understood the pick.

TaylorMaysBrokeMyHeart
04-29-2012, 12:09 AM
Really liked our draft. I think Jenkins and James will make an immediate impact.

It looked like Baalke missed out on some guys he wanted to get on day 3.

Gino Gradkowski drafted # 98 by the ravens really hurt Baalke by some accounts....

hawkeye123
04-29-2012, 12:11 AM
Gino Gradkowski drafted # 98 by the ravens really hurt Baalke by some accounts....

He also seemed very disappointed when Massaquoi was selected 1 pick before ours in the 5th.

49ersfan_87
I'm a fan of the draft. We get 2 offensive playmakers with speed, improve our depth across the team in need positions, and those players can become future starters (Looney, Slowey, Robinson). Fleming and Johnson are likely career backups but with Aldon and Brooks that's fine. I also love that we added 3 picks next year, including a future 3. That gives us 4 top 100 picks next year and the flexibility to manipulate the draft, much like Walsh did back in the day.

I give us betwee a B and B+. Solid haul IMO.

TaylorMaysBrokeMyHeart
He's absolutely right. Cam never amassed double digit sacks for us in any of his four years. Kept waiting for him to become that force on the edge and it never happened. I think he's a depth player at best. He's a underwhelming pass-rusher and just a ok athlete. Plus his medical had alot to do with his fall. He has sickle cell anemia and it causes him joint and muscle pain at times as well as causing him to tire quicker than the average person. That's one thing I always questioned....his motor. I'll be surprised if he makes the team honestly. But he was good value there so I understood the pick.

hmmm well a 7th round pick who has a chance to make the roster is still pretty good value. I got wowed by a highlight tape.....

edgrenade
04-29-2012, 12:12 AM
I'm wondering if Baalke eyes Fleming as an option at ILB as well as occasionally rushing from OLB.

Both Larry Grant and Tavares Gooden are on 1-year deals, and I thought Baalke expressed his dissatisfaction with Green Bay's selection of Terrell Manning, not Jonathan Massaquoi.

Dunno. Guess we'll find out.

I was thinking that Fleming would move inside too. I don't really know much about him, but I wonder if he has the ability to play all 4 LB positions.

VAfy-ya
04-29-2012, 12:15 AM

Actually I think 49erfan_87 has you both beat by a month lol

phlysac
04-29-2012, 12:18 AM
He also seemed very disappointed when Massaquoi was selected 1 pick before ours in the 5th.

This is the dilemma. Was he upset with their trade up for Terrell Manning?

Borat
04-29-2012, 12:19 AM
Actually I think 49erfan_87 has you both beat by a month lol

You should look again lol

TaylorMaysBrokeMyHeart
04-29-2012, 12:19 AM
I was thinking that Fleming would move inside too. I don't really know much about him, but I wonder if he has the ability to play all 4 LB positions.

Good athlete, ran a 4.77, 27 reps, and 33.5 vert. @245 Lbs

Borat
04-29-2012, 12:20 AM
I think passing on Streeter will eventually look like a very poor decision. Though I like the longterm potential of Looney.

TaylorMaysBrokeMyHeart
04-29-2012, 12:22 AM
I think passing on Streeter will eventually look like a very poor decision. Though I like the longterm potential of Looney.

Streeter in the 5th would have been MONEY!

phlysac
04-29-2012, 12:25 AM
The biggest positive I take from this draft is this big if...

IF

Joe Looney and Jason Slowey pan out with Kilgore and Person...

OT - Staley, Davis, Boone
G/C - Iupati, Kilgore, Person, Looney, Slowey

Baalke won't have to address the O-Line aggressively for YEARS!!!!

VAfy-ya
04-29-2012, 12:35 AM
I'm a fan of the draft. We get 2 offensive playmakers with speed, improve our depth across the team in need positions, and those players can become future starters (Looney, Slowey, Robinson). Fleming and Johnson are likely career backups but with Aldon and Brooks that's fine. I also love that we added 3 picks next year, including a future 3. That gives us 4 top 100 picks next year and the flexibility to manipulate the draft, much like Walsh did back in the day.

I give us betwee a B and B+. Solid haul IMO.

I think James may surprsie some. Jimbaugh coached against him and one of the first things he said in his presser is they didnt view him as a 3rd down back. They saw him as a complete back. A guy who can be a every down back. I think that cod hold true. If you would have told me Chris Johnson would turn into a every down back in the league when he was drafted I'd have said you were silly. But he's a good example of what James could become. A dynamic runner who doesn't take alot of punishment and grows into the role of a featured back. Intially I could see us using him kind of the way KC uses McCluster....as a.weapon lined up all over but if he looks good between the tackles he could surprise some and turn into a solid runner.

I like Looney. Might translate better to center but I think he has some skills to draw from which translate well to our scheme. Love Robinson, think he's going to be a steal for us. I like Fleming as a STs guy intially and a guy who is solid but not really outstanding at anything. Could develop into quality depth if he sticks around.

VAfy-ya
04-29-2012, 12:39 AM
You should look again lol

Touche....thought it said 2005. Im sleepy lol

Shupp
04-29-2012, 12:43 AM
We just signed Stanford DE Matt Masifilo

YAYareaRB
04-29-2012, 12:44 AM
hooray for more polynesians!!

VAfy-ya
04-29-2012, 12:56 AM
http://www.49ers.com/media-gallery/videos/Draft-Press-Pass-Trent-Baalke/d8b02b72-ce7b-434e-8bbb-7d894305e831

Interesting stuff....

Said Gore likes watching backs(always hear from ppl that Gore is going to be a excellent coach someday) and he told Baalke about how good he thought James was.

You can tell he really wanted that OG the Ravens took...

Said Looney would have been their pick at 92 but was still able to get him where they did....talk about value

VAfy-ya
04-29-2012, 01:11 AM
UDFAs sign by the Niners....

Patrick Butrym, DL, Wisconsin
Garrett Celek, TE, Michigan State
DaJuan Cofield, RB,San Jose State
Jewell Hampton, RB, Southern Illinois
Joe Holland, OLB, Purdue
Matt Masifilo,DE,Stanford
Kevin Murphy, OT, Harvard
Al Netter, OG, Northwestern
Chris Owusu, WR, Stanford
Nathan Palmer, WR, NIU
Deante Purvis, DB/KR, UNLV
Georgio Tavecchio, K, Cal
Michael Thomas, S, Stanford
Brian Tyms, WR, FAMU

Menardo75
04-29-2012, 01:14 AM
If Owusu stays healthy he could end up being a very good player. Masifilo also had a great workout and could compete for one of the backup D-line spots.

Ness
04-29-2012, 01:42 AM
Owusu? I never watched him play, but I did hear about him continuously getting hurt.

dan77733
04-29-2012, 02:00 AM
Watched the Baalke video and I dont know. I didnt like the way he was stuttering and moving around behind the podium. LMFAO!!!

Seriously, im actually excited to see James and Jenkins play this year. I think that James has the better chance of making a bigger impact but if Crabtree, etc. dont step up, then hopefully Jenkins can show everyone why he was the 30th overall draft pick.

Borat
04-29-2012, 02:09 AM
Owusu? I never watched him play, but I did hear about him continuously getting hurt.

I liked him until he started getting knocked the F out.

Borat
04-29-2012, 02:13 AM
Watched the Baalke video and I dont know. I didnt like the way he was stuttering and moving around behind the podium. LMFAO!!!

Great reference Dan. What was it last time? Fidgeting with the water bottle?

Ness
04-29-2012, 02:42 AM
Great reference Dan. What was it last time? Fidgeting with the water bottle?

Yeah Jed York really didn't know what he was doing.

stl9erfan
04-29-2012, 02:56 AM

Concussions... multiple times. Not like he was just taking minor shots and couldn't stay healthy. He just seemed to have a knack to be in a position where a defender could absolutely unload on him quite frequently. He took some HUGE hits.

edgrenade
04-29-2012, 04:46 AM
One thing I realized is that there are no "conversion" guys this year. Baalke has normally selected a guy that is making a position change. (Not counting OL)

Madirishman
04-29-2012, 09:13 AM
Overall I like the Draft they had, considering the team's position. Both the value they got with several of the picks as well as that you can see the role (both short and long term) and plan that they have for each.

The early offensive skill players can gain separation, add needed speed and will help make plays through new wrinkles in the offense that Harbaugh can open up.

Adding another offensive lineman with upside was needed for depth and to create competition.

The defensive players selected in the later rounds all look to be solid tacklers, tough, hard-nosed players that will help in special teams and one of the LBs may wow enough to overtake Parys' job in the next year or so.

I would have liked to see them add another NT and/or CB to the mix but the value wasn't there and they must believe that Cox can win a spot on the 53 and they like the D-Line depth they have in RJF/Williams/Dobbs.

We'll have to see how things progress but I'm excited about the fact that this offense has new weapons and an offseason to add more options to make plays, keeping the team on the field and better controlling time of possession after converting a higher percentage of 3rd downs and consistently putting more points on the board.

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
04-29-2012, 11:06 AM
http://www.49ers.com/media-gallery/videos/Draft-Press-Pass-Trent-Baalke/d8b02b72-ce7b-434e-8bbb-7d894305e831

Interesting stuff....

Said Gore likes watching backs(always hear from ppl that Gore is going to be a excellent coach someday) and he told Baalke about how good he thought James was.

Forget if it was last draft or 2 years ago, but I remember Baalke started giving Gore tapes of running back prospects. He said Gore's instincts would immediately be able to decipher whether or not he thought the guy can play in the league. Baalke told Gore though he would have to watch at least 4 tapes before making a true evaluation, which Gore always found funny because that wasn't really going to sway his initial thought.

I could see Gore becoming a part of the scouting team after his career. His line of thinking really meshes well with the philosphy Baalke picked up from Malcom Gladwell's book "Blink."

"Generally speaking, you were right in the first five minutes," said Baalke. The 49ers general manager cited the book "Blink" by Malcolm Gladwell, which posits that spontaneous decisions are often more valuable than long, drawn out ones.

http://blogs.sacbee.com/mt/mt-search.cgi?IncludeBlogs=18&search=blink&keywords=blink&aff=5#storylink=cpy

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
04-29-2012, 11:16 AM
Add Kourtnei Brown, DE, Clemson, Tony Jerod-Eddie, DL, Texas A&M and Anthony Mosley, CB, Kentucky to the list of UFA. Believe 49ers have 3more spots left to fill on the roster.

Brian Tymes, WR, FAMU
Nathan Palmer, WR, NIU
Al Netter, OG, Northwestern
Joe Holland, OLB, Purdue
Garrett Celek, TE, Michigan State
Kevin Murphy, OL, Harvard
Michael Thomas, S, Stanford
Chris Owusu, WR, Stanford
Matt Masifilo, DT, Stanford
Jewel Hampton, RB, Southern Illinois
Patrick Butrym, DL, Wisconsin
Georgio Tavecchio, K, Cal
Kourtnei Brown, DE, Clemson
Deante Purvis, DB, UNLV
Tony Jerod-Eddie, DL, Texas A&M
Dajuan Cofield, RB, San Jose State
Anthony Mosley, CB, Kentucky

Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2012/04/49ers-land-wr-owusu-undrafted-free-agent-haul-nearly-complete.html#storylink=cpy

Happy to see Al Netter sign with SF. He is from my town of Santa Rosa (ya) but went to Cardinal Newman (booooo).

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo?
04-29-2012, 11:21 AM
Owusu? I never watched him play, but I did hear about him continuously getting hurt .

Here is the montage of all the Owusu's hits

3k-w_YOLW3o

He is like the college version of Austin Collie. The hit against USC was vicious.

H.O.O.D
04-29-2012, 11:31 AM
Because Hill and Fleener were on the board!

But we rated Jenkins higher than both from all that we have heard/learned this weekend.

Biggest reach of the 1st round: AJ vs Irvin?

I may have to go with AJ

Mike Mayock had Irvin at 41, he went 15. Thus if teams were going off of Mayock's board he went 26 picks higher. Jenkins by contrast was 57 and went at 30 thus he went 27 picks higher than his listing according to Mayock. Very close.

You could do that with other analysts and come away with results that will make your opinion seem right, but you can also see results that prove your opinion wrong. At the end of the day the bigger reach is subject to personal opinion. Scott's mock had Irvin at 58 and AJ at 61.

Irvin was the first DE off the board. Jenkins was the 4th receiver. In my opinion Irvin is the bigger reach if you want to go off of what any analyst or so called expert believes their values are. Seattle had it's choice of ANY end in this class, while we did not have get the chance to see how AJ might have compared to Blackmon, Floyd and Wright.

I'm more upset about all the guys we passed up in the 3rd-5th rounds....my god!!!!!!!1

Shouldn't you be upset with other teams too then because a good load of the league passed on those same guys at least once, some two and three times over.

It's like the "passing on Desean Jackson was a mistake" argument. Every team in the league passed on him once, some twice including the team that took him.

Way more people had Irvin going 1st so how is he a bigger reach??

Most did not have Barron higher than 14 before a week ago. And I don't recall anyone with him in the top 10.

Most had Upshaw, Glenn and Konz somewhere in the first, and they all fell right out.

Most had Massie in the 2nd or 3rd and he too fell. Could do this with quite a few UDFA's too were were thought to be drafted, some as high as the 3rd.

Just because we took a guy higher than where he had projected to go by almost every so called expert and analyst doesn't mean we reached. The 49ers opinion of the player is higher than that of the most, and they had that same opinion last year with Aldon. Sometimes the team is right like last year, and sometimes the widespread opinion is the right one. We won't know for a few years....

Brent
04-29-2012, 11:59 AM
I'm a fan of Jerod-Eddie, was pretty disruptive this past year. Good signing.

edgrenade
04-29-2012, 12:27 PM
I'm a fan of Jerod-Eddie, was pretty disruptive this past year. Good signing.

I thought he looked good in the Senior Bowl drills.

The UDFAs are going to have a tough time making the team this year. Most likely practice squad material.

D4rk 0ne
04-29-2012, 03:30 PM
I went to high school with Giorgio Tavecchio (UDFA kicker from Cal). I'm happy to see him make it to the NFL, especially on the Niners. I know we don't need a kicker any time soon, but the guy has a ton of potential. I know he probably won't stick with us, even on our PS, but I hope someone takes a flyer on him and develops him. I saw him kick a 58 yarder as a junior in HS, and I've seen him placekick 65+ yards with consistency. He's got an NFL caliber leg, he just needs to reign in his accuracy a bit (though he did improve in that respect with every year he spent at Cal: this past season, he went 20/23 with a long of 54). He walked on at Cal as a freshman and earned the starting kicker job there. He's a hard worker and just an all around great guy. I wish him the best in this league, and who knows, maybe a few years down the road, he'll be replacing Akers for us. I'd be thrilled with that.

I really like what Harbaugh and Baalke have done in terms of bringing in competition. That should light a fire under some of our current young players, and hopefully foster a higher level of performance.

Goon61
04-29-2012, 11:15 PM
Forget if it was last draft or 2 years ago, but I remember Baalke started giving Gore tapes of running back prospects. He said Gore's instincts would immediately be able to decipher whether or not he thought the guy can play in the league.

Well the niners havn't exactly drafted any great backs lately. They drafted solid guys that have contributed (Hunter, Dixon, Coffee, and almost Blount) but none are on their way to superstardom. Maybe the niners just havn't been willing to spend a high pick on a rb because they already have/had a starter, so they settled for drafting backups. So I guess now that they have spent a high pick on a rb they do indeed expect him to start eventually.

binary
04-30-2012, 03:14 AM
Blount would've been a freaking steal..

I really like the James pick, him and Hunter are going to give the team an explosive two-headed monster for years to come. They are both matchup nightmares. I can see James being utilized all over the place. After Gore is gone, they aren't going to need an "every down" back.

Madirishman
04-30-2012, 08:46 AM
Adding James gives them some more explosion but if (and I really do hope it's if) Gore goes down for an extended period of time or starts to slow down rapidly this upcoming season, it wouldn't completely paralyze the offense from doing anything, as it would have any season since 2006, where Gore has been the motor to make the entire offense go, often being the only player to make plays on that side of the ball.

Menardo75
04-30-2012, 10:04 AM
Harbaugh ran a running back by committee attack at Stanford, and it looks like he's building that in San Fran.

binary
04-30-2012, 12:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMz-O7PQoEI

Althought his production wasn't great, I was impressed by this video. James shows he can run between the tackles, the guy has excellent vision. That LSU D was vicious and dominating his Oline, but he still found quite a few cracks. I wasn't a big fan of the James pick initially, but them more I watch, the more I like.

If he can put on 5-10 more lbs and keep the explosion, it would be tremendous.

dan77733
04-30-2012, 01:49 PM
I was impressed by that 13 minute video that someone posted the other day. My only concern is that 90% of his plays were from the shotgun. I dont think that will work in the NFL as good as it did in college. Other than that, James and Hunter should be an awesome combo for hopefully, a very long time.

jojo
04-30-2012, 03:34 PM
Harbaugh ran a running back by committee attack at Stanford, and it looks like he's building that in San Fran.

Maybe he's worried about Gore's age (will be 30) & the surgeries on each knee at Miami. Gore has always had this red S on his chest, but can't be the 30 carries/gm. back forever.

jojo
04-30-2012, 03:35 PM

Way too many concussions.

YAYareaRB
04-30-2012, 08:41 PM
the hits on owusu this year were ALL on the 2011 College Football hits video on youtube. pretty nasty

dan77733
05-01-2012, 12:13 AM
I just watched that one minute video on the previous page of Owusu and if I was him, I would retire. Way too many concussions. Jeez.

Madirishman
05-01-2012, 12:24 AM
I just watched that one minute video on the previous page of Owusu and if I was him, I would retire. Way too many concussions. Jeez.

He can't hear you over all the noisy birds circling around his head. Poor kid.

Brent
05-01-2012, 05:26 AM
man, in a lot of those throws, Luck kind of left him out to dry.

Madirishman
05-01-2012, 08:27 AM
man, in a lot of those throws, Luck kind of left him out to dry.

Thank God we didn't draft that guy. /sarcasm