PDA

View Full Version : 4/26/12 - Scott Wright's Final Mock Draft

Scott Wright
04-26-2012, 07:48 AM
Just posted my final mock draft of the year!

2012 Mock Draft - v.7.0
http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Mock-Draft-A.php

As always constructive criticism is not only welcomed but encouraged. However, please be sure to explain the reasoning behind your opinions like I do in the mock or risk being infracted.

Let's keep this thread fun and informative!

Now... FIRE AWAY! :)

Abaddon
04-26-2012, 07:54 AM
Taylor Thompson? You did that just to spite me.

K Train
04-26-2012, 08:07 AM
zeitler over cordy glenn would make me LOSE MY ****

love pead and fangupu though

Razor
04-26-2012, 08:12 AM
Besides Janoris Jenkins and Brandon Taylor I really hate this Patriots draft. However, you don't do trades and the Pats aren't staying put so given the circumstances I guess is alright. I hope you're wrong though.

Asteinebach
04-26-2012, 08:14 AM
As usual Scott, your logic is undeniable. The first round looks really good. I think it's a bit too high for Dont'a Hightower. I also think there are better defensive end prospects in the draft than Coples. I think Seattle could go in a couple other directions there, and possibly even seek the BPA.

As for the Detroit Lions picks: I can't argue with them too much. I am not a big fan of Dre Kirkpatrick, and I see a lot of Amari Spievey in him. I think we need speed more than physicality at the CB position. Ideally, they could get Josh Robinson in the 2nd round. My biggest beef with the first round is passing on Cordy Glenn. I think Glenn could start immediately at guard, and eventually move to Left Tackle for us. Especially in a deep CB class, I like his value much more there.

I don't like Jonathan Martin very much, but if he's there in round 2 and we don't pick Cordy Glenn, then we get a great value.

Tyrone Crawford fits the bill. We need someone that can rush the passer on the right side (to replace KVB). Although, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of taking a safety, linebacker, or even a running back if the value is right.

Overall, I'd be pretty happy with this draft. I'd much rather get Cordy Glenn, but that's my only real beef.

cmarq83
04-26-2012, 08:19 AM
For the Pats:

Mercilus is good and a likely pick at 27.

With Reyes you and I have a fundamental difference over the Pats need for a 5-tech in the first, but going over that again would be like beating a dead horse at this point.

Zach Brown is a terrible pick for the Pats at 48. There have been no linebackers who are less less physical than Zach Brown who have succeeded with the Pats. We do need a conventional LB to cover TE's and backs, but Kendricks, David, or even Wagner would all be better picks IMO. To me Zach Brown is just some 240lb guy who runs a 4.5 40. The character issues, lack of physicality, and just general poor overall play don't make him an option at 48.

Luckily J. Jenkins is as good a pick as Brown is bad. A steal this late in the process, and is a guy who potentially could start day 1.

B. Taylor isn't bad either since he wouldn't be pressed to start right away, and he has some good tools at a position of need.

gpngc
04-26-2012, 08:22 AM
Here's to helping you win the Huddle Report contest.

Jacksonville is not taking Melvin Ingram at No. 7. He doesn't fit their defense. You are right - that pick is truly a mock-buster so I don't have a great suggestion. But change it. Everyone else is going to have Ingram there and you should take a stab with someone else (which will free up two potential correct picks when they don't end up taking him). I doubt it's Gilmore. Cox maybe. Or maybe they really do get that trade...

Switch Barron and Kuechly. Kuechly will go to Buffalo if he's there. I think there is a minimal chance that the Chiefs end up with Kuechly. That might be a trade spot as well!

Cordy Glenn does not fit the Texans offense at all. Change that.

And the Giants won't draft Fleener. They need their TEs to block. They learned their lesson with Beckum.

Scott Wright
04-26-2012, 08:24 AM
Here's to helping you win the Huddle Report contest.

Jacksonville is not taking Melvin Ingram at No. 7. He doesn't fit their defense. You are right - that pick is truly a mock-buster so I don't have a great suggestion. But change it.

That deadline has come and gone.

Mock and Rankings are LOCKED IN.

Blackluck
04-26-2012, 08:31 AM
For NE, I'd be lukewarm on that draft; I like the positions targetted but not necessarily the players selected. Mercilus seems more a boom/bust than either Perry or McClellin. Reyes is okay, but NE passed on C.Jordan last year so I'm not sure they'd take Reyes in this spot this year. L. David would probably be picked over Zach Brown for a nickle LB. I like the J. Jenkins pick - I've convinced myself we could really use a CB who can actually cover a receiver even if J.J. eventually self destructs.

cmarq83
04-26-2012, 08:34 AM
For NE, I'd be lukewarm on that draft; I like the positions targetted but not necessarily the players selected. Mercilus seems more a boom/bust than either Perry or McClellin. Reyes is okay, but NE passed on C.Jordan last year so I'm not sure they'd take Reyes in this spot this year. L. David would probably be picked over Zach Brown for a nickle LB. I like the J. Jenkins pick - I've convinced myself we could really use a CB who can actually cover a receiver even if J.J. eventually self destructs.

I know, can you believe that other teams have that? It's such a novel concept.

Asteinebach
04-26-2012, 08:36 AM
I think the Jaguars are the first surprise pick of the draft. If they can't move down, I think they stay put and shock the world by picking Stephen Hill. He's a perfect fit for them, and I read a couple weeks ago that they are very high on him.

SuperPacker
04-26-2012, 08:40 AM
I think the Jaguars are the first surprise pick of the draft. If they can't move down, I think they stay put and shock the world by picking Stephen Hill. He's a perfect fit for them, and I read a couple weeks ago that they are very high on him.

Glad someone else agrees with me! You'd all call me crazy, but i think he could even go to the Rams.

ViperVisor
04-26-2012, 08:42 AM
That deadline has come and gone.

Mock and Rankings are LOCKED IN.
http://i.imgur.com/AKPYz.jpg

killxswitch
04-26-2012, 09:03 AM
Colts-specific:

Andrew Luck - The right pick for the right reasons, this has been a no-brainer since the Colts secured the 1st pick.

Rueben Randle - I think I like him. Great size and I'm thinking/hoping his speed is a little underrated at this point. Hard to know how good he can really be since he played in the LSU offense. His routes would improve under the tutelage of Reggie Wayne, one of the best route runners in the game. His vertical jump at the Combine was pretty disappointing though. Will he be a great red zone target?

Dwight Bentley - It's hard to get too excited about this pick when Josh Chapman is still on the board and the Colts don't have a starter at NT. With average height and and a disappointing vertical I'm not convinced he could cover guys like Andre Johnson or Kenny Britt every year. I wonder if Brandon Boykin wouldn't be a better pick, too.

T-RICH49
04-26-2012, 09:04 AM
LOVE those KC picks

KLima878
04-26-2012, 09:17 AM
Not a big Ingram fan but couple hime with Wright fromt he second round and I'm liking the Jags draft.

scottyboy
04-26-2012, 09:22 AM
i have such a boner from that giants mock. Maybe Massie over fleener...but can you imagine:

Cruz-Nicks-Sanu-Fleener out there?

yeah. boner jams '12.

Scott, I love you

Splat
04-26-2012, 09:24 AM
I could live with that Chiefs draft.

Flyboy
04-26-2012, 09:26 AM
Scott,

I know you are the man and all that jazz but I don't buy for one second that Kendall Wright does not go in the first round. Just not buying it... but I might be letting my mancrush get in the way of that.

I also thought DeSean Jackson should have went in the top 10 in '08... at least, he's to a degree proving me right about that.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
04-26-2012, 09:35 AM
Reiff, Curry, and Flemming. Let me suck your dick.

Damix
04-26-2012, 09:39 AM
I just don't see the Fleener fit for the Giants. He doesn't block like Pope tightends usually do. I think we'll roll with Bennett, a late round rookie and Bear Pascoe to start the year and hope Beckum is healthy by midyear. I'd probably roll with Still or Massie there.

I'm not as high as other giants fans on Sanu (scotty, GF) but wouldn't hate the pick at all. LOVE Turbin in the 3rd.

I like the mock overall though, pretty good need/value for most teams.

regoob2
04-26-2012, 09:41 AM
I'd be happy with those Bears picks.

I'd also be shocked if we drafted a LT in round 1.

keylime_5
04-26-2012, 09:45 AM
just pointing this out, but everyone I know says Reiff is a RT, and the Bears aren't gonna draft a right tackle in round one after drafting Carimi last year. I expect them to take a DE at 19, or maybe and OG or LT, but not Reiff.

thetedginnshow
04-26-2012, 09:48 AM
I love the Jets' 1st round pick! There's other good solutions, but I'm a fan of Hightower's, and his positional versatility would allow us to shake up the roster a bit. But just curious as to why you chose him for us. There really hasn't been any mention of interest in him from the Jets as far as I've seen, so just wondering if you had any insider intel.

Not so big of a fan of Jeffery, only because he seems like a bust waiting to happen, but you have to give him to someone. I'm fine with the 3rd rounder, but if Iloka was on the board I'd figure that would be the pick instead. Safety is a bit more of a pressing issue.

bearsfan_51
04-26-2012, 10:10 AM
This is a good mock, but it's about as conservative as you can possibly get. There's nothing particularly wrong with that, but this is about as close as you're going to get to a "consensus" mock.

vidae
04-26-2012, 10:16 AM
I'd be ok with that Chiefs draft I suppose!

Scott Wright
04-26-2012, 10:49 AM
This is a good mock, but it's about as conservative as you can possibly get. There's nothing particularly wrong with that, but this is about as close as you're going to get to a "consensus" mock.

Ha, I have been looking as a bunch of collegueas mocks today and I sure haven't seen a consensus. My boy Nolan Nawrocki at Pro Football Weekly has the Jaguars taking Whitney Mercilus at #7! People who I respect and know for a fact have great sources got wildly different mocks, which tells me nobody really knows. Soon we will have some actual results!

In the end I'm not trying to be different, just (W)right. :o)

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
04-26-2012, 10:53 AM
Well I love it Scott, and you. If only I could show you physical love.

If only.

Raider Duck
04-26-2012, 11:02 AM
Scott: I love your site and love your mocks, but you massively dropped the ball on Raiders' first selection.

Taylor Thompson? Seriously? When Oakland already HAS a rookie "hasn't played the position since High School" Tight End in Andre Hardy? And with Sean Spence still on the board?

I know you don't like re-visiting your mock picks, but please consider making an exception here (and if Thompson IS the pick, I will return to this thread and eat crow).

Bengals78
04-26-2012, 11:09 AM
I would not be OK with that.
Passing on DeCastro AND Brockers? Bleh

CashmoneyDrew
04-26-2012, 11:15 AM
Screw the Chargers in this draft. But Michael Brockers is my favorite defensive player the Titans could take so it's not a bad consolation.

NIN1984
04-26-2012, 11:36 AM
Sure Myers, Ausberry and Gordan are unproven, but... I don't see what Thompson offers the Raiders that someone like Ausberry doesn't. The way your draft went though, is killer for us. Martin, Champman and Wagner all off the board really hurts. I'll still be surprised if Reggie McKenzie doesn't draft a LB or D-linemen at #95.

Monomach
04-26-2012, 11:46 AM
Reiff, Curry, and Flemming. Let me suck your dick.

You're going to have to wait until I'm done with him. Best Bears mock ever.

bigmac076
04-26-2012, 11:55 AM
I don't like criticizing your stuff but I have got to respond to Dallas' 3 picks.

1st - Dontari Poe, DT, Memphis
Would much rather see DeCastro here or even Brockers.

2nd - Ronnell Lewis, OLB, Oklahoma
Not such a bad pick but with Jenkins on the board I would like to see us grab him.

3rd - T.Y. Hilton, WR, Florida International
A small speedy receiver is a nice addition but with Derek Wolfe still available I'd rather see us go that rout if I am passing on Poe in the first round.

This is the one and only site I have used for draft info/analysis since I found it. You do great work keep it up.

thebow305
04-26-2012, 12:07 PM
Wow, I would be just fine that Phins draft! Nice job as always with the mock Scott! Can't wait for tonight.

Hopefully Touchdown Tommy Streeter would be available in the 4th, then it would be a truly special Miami draft! :)

NotMyJob
04-26-2012, 12:07 PM
this mock makes me a sad panda

jayceheathman
04-26-2012, 12:14 PM
Yes! Finally a mock that gives Houston a OT/OG instead of a WR. I hope they go that route. Not the biggest fan of the top WR's this year. I would rather take a chance at Broyles or Fuller later on. Those two could be steals if they can make it back to their old form.

jayceheathman
04-26-2012, 12:19 PM
Scott, do you really think Jared Crick will fall to round 4? That would be a steal. Maybe I passed him up but I don't see him in any of the rounds.

Asteinebach
04-26-2012, 12:20 PM
Scott, do you really think Jared Crick will fall to round 4? That would be a steal. Maybe I passed him up but I don't see him in any of the rounds.

Crick could fall further than that. He's got that unknown injury status. Only teams really know if he'd be worth drafting at this point.

killxswitch
04-26-2012, 12:23 PM
Crick could fall further than that. He's got that unknown injury status. Only teams really know if he'd be worth drafting at this point.

Isn't it just a torn pec? Seems like that should be much less risky than ankle or knee problems. I think Crick has fallen too far and will go earlier than many expect.

bearsfan_51
04-26-2012, 12:24 PM
Ha, I have been looking as a bunch of collegueas mocks today and I sure haven't seen a consensus. My boy Nolan Nawrocki at Pro Football Weekly has the Jaguars taking Whitney Mercilus at #7! People who I respect and know for a fact have great sources got wildly different mocks, which tells me nobody really knows. Soon we will have some actual results!

In the end I'm not trying to be different, just (W)right. :o)
No, I totally get that, which is why it wasn't intended to be criticism.

There will almost certainly be 1-2 picks that come out of nowhere, but statistically it's very hard to predict those.

Asteinebach
04-26-2012, 12:25 PM
Isn't it just a torn pec? Seems like that should be much less risky than ankle or knee problems. I think Crick has fallen too far and will go earlier than many expect.

I hope so! He's a good football player. I'd love to see him in a 1 gap scheme as a defensive tackle. He'd be the perfect speedy undertackle type to collapse the pocket.

bergo23
04-26-2012, 01:11 PM
You had ALOT more profiles up this year, and I appreciate that!

Bolts: 1st-definately think NEED for passrusher trumps PERCEIVED need (because of Dielman)...gives us McLellin or Mercilus before even a blue chipper like Decastro....I guess that would be an example of need trumping BPA philosophy...I have never heard AJ say how he comes out on that debate (need vs BPA).

2nd-give your mock scenario, I think the greater need on OLine is RT (Clary upgrade), not guard, so a guy like Martin would be an ideal eventual upgrade at RT.

3rd-Love your 3rd round pick idea as Iloka would be an intriguing fit for us at SS...its definately an AJ player.

49erNation85
04-26-2012, 01:13 PM
If the 49ers pick an OG with the first pick tonight I will freaking shot my self!!I seriously hope we pick a WR ... O line can be pick later in the draft .

Shane P. Hallam
04-26-2012, 01:16 PM
If the 49ers pick an OG with the first pick tonight I will freaking shot my self!!I seriously hope we pick a WR ... O line can be pick later in the draft .

Oof, I think OG high on their list. If Hill is there, I feel they will go for him. If not and Zeitler is there, there appears to be interest.

hagy34
04-26-2012, 01:18 PM
Nice work Scott. I had Dennard though. Not sure why. I just do.

CashmoneyDrew
04-26-2012, 01:18 PM

Ya promise?

Smooth Criminal
04-26-2012, 01:39 PM
Judging by the latest mocks I don't want the Steelers just sitting at 24. I really think they gotta trade up to get one of the top corners.

Giantsfan1080
04-26-2012, 01:59 PM
Awesome draft for the Giants Scott. Thanks for Sanu!!

TonyGfortheTD
04-26-2012, 02:17 PM
Kuechly, Ta'amu and Brooks wouldn't be an amazing draft, but they all fill needs and do make sense so definitely not bad.

TheMatriculator
04-26-2012, 02:54 PM
Perfect Chiefs draft...

Kuechly - If you were going to design a Pioli/Crennel player, you would have Luke Kuechly when you were finished.
Ta'amu - NT is the biggest need the Chiefs have. Check!
Brooks - The trifecta is complete with a guard who can be groomed to replace Ryan Lilja. With a team that had trouble running the ball up the middle, his 350 lbs will be a welcome addition.

Duffman57
04-26-2012, 03:02 PM
Looks awesome for my Chargers, though i think that we'd go Reiff not DeCastro, either are elite players at their respective positions (R/L G and RT)

RageFist
04-26-2012, 03:25 PM
I cant say im overly impressed by this mock. Claiborne will go #3, and Mercilus is a legit pick at #7.

And I dont think 49ers will go after a guard. Look for Bruce Irvin to be the surprising pick here.

SuperPacker
04-26-2012, 03:30 PM
I cant say im overly impressed by this mock. Claiborne will go #3, and Mercilus is a legit pick at #7.

And I dont think 49ers will go after a guard. Look for Bruce Irvin to be the surprising pick here.

I was thinking the same thing! Irvin to the 49ers is my wildcard pick.

OhioJB
04-26-2012, 03:52 PM
As far as the Browns, I'll be VERY happy if we get Richardson, and fine with Weeden at #37, but I question whether they'll want to take Stephen Hill at #22. Just not convinced he's polished enough yet. GM Tom Heckert said they have 18 players rated as 1st rounders, and he expects at least one of them to fall to 22, because that's how it usually works. So the pick there might be a bit of a surprise. If Dre Kilpatrick or Riley Reiff fall they might be the selection. If they don't get a WR in the 1st they may take one at #37 if quality is there - Reuben Randle? Probably not since he probably wont be there, but they'll be able to get a couple of WR's as it's fairly deep this year for that position.

Not that this would be in your mock, but just heard on WKNR (ESPN Cleveland radio), that the Browns want to acquire a second 2nd rounder. Let's see: RB, WR, RT, and CB. That would go a long way in helping the Browns in their development, if the players pan out. I'm telling you, look for the Browns to be in the playoffs starting in 2013...outside chance of that for the 2012 season.

Good, sensible mock overall!

slats7
04-26-2012, 03:56 PM
LOL @ people rushing to put Barron in the top 12 based on that Schefter tweet. Nobody had him that high before yesterday. Buncha lemmings.

_YL_
04-26-2012, 04:00 PM
Raiders already has a Converted TE on the roster that there high on. And the pick will be best player on the board on the defense side.

holt_bruce81
04-26-2012, 04:01 PM
Solid Rams picks, I would of liked to see the Rams go with a CB or an Offensive Lineman in the 3rd round but James isn't a bad pick at all, Rams are desperate for those explosive guys.

RageFist
04-26-2012, 04:02 PM
LOL @ people rushing to put Barron in the top 12 based on that Schefter tweet. Nobody had him that high before yesterday. Buncha lemmings.

:njx: Wait and see. Schefter aint the only one reporting it

slats7
04-26-2012, 04:06 PM
:njx: Wait and see. Schefter aint the only one reporting it

So not the point.

jojo
04-26-2012, 05:10 PM
Janoris Jenkins dropping to #62, not too much of a stretch but a stretch nonetheless

RageFist
04-26-2012, 05:24 PM
So not the point.

Whats the point then :) ... people are projecting him up there because prime sources are reporting interest in him from primarily the bills but also teams looking to trade up for him. Not unusual at this stage of the draft.

Dont be that guy... :njx:

Vikes99ej
04-26-2012, 05:41 PM
Dennard in the third? After all the problems we've had with Chris Cook?

RealityCheck
04-26-2012, 05:53 PM
I'd rather have McClellin over Mercilus, but I can't complain.
Reyes is OK.
Love me some Zach Brown.
Janoris' character concerns me but I can't complain on the value there.
Good pick with Taylor.

Nice Pats mock overall, Scott.

Caulibflower
04-26-2012, 06:37 PM
I always feel like... Scott just doesn't care very much about the Seahawks.

Haha.

SchizophrenicBatman
04-26-2012, 06:39 PM
Janoris is easily the best CB in the draft. And if Percy Harvin could go in the first why can't he?

The NFL is dumb if he falls to the bottom of the 2nd

Iamcanadian
04-27-2012, 12:21 AM
I have to say I told you so Scott, Glenn and Jeffery didn't go round 1 as I predicted with your first mock of the season. Fat guys like Glenn drop on draft days no matter how well they workout at the combine and Pro Days. Those workouts don't reflect the ability to play hard for 4 quarters and in the NFL, where the 4th quarter decides an awful lot of games, guys like Glenn cannot be counted on. If he weighed in at 330lbs., he would have gone top 10 but at nearly 350lbs. he is unreliable in NFL GM's eyes.

Jeffery is a Spurrier WR and Spurrier has had too many WR flop in the pros for another GM to risk his career on. Add in all the negatives about how he maintained his conditioning in college and there was zero chance he would go round 1.

proshoota25
04-27-2012, 12:52 AM
good call with chandler jones to the pats

Scott Wright
04-27-2012, 06:25 AM
Ugh, not my most impressive mock performance but I'm not sure Kiper, Mayock, Nawrocki, etc. did much better. Trades kind of wreaked havoc, but no excuses though.

What really bugs me is that after having Dontari Poe to the Chiefs and Nick Perry to the Packers in my mocks for months I changed it for the last one and sure enough... AHHH! :o)

I will say I did have four of the guys going to the right teams, albeit it in Round 2: Harrison Smith (Vikings), Doug Martin (Bucs), Brandon Weeden (Browns) and A.J. Jenkins (49ers).

How did everyone else do in their mocks?

Bengals78
04-27-2012, 06:26 AM
Janoris is easily the best CB in the draft. And if Percy Harvin could go in the first why can't he?

The NFL is dumb if he falls to the bottom of the 2nd

Seriously?