PDA

View Full Version : Final Mock

ChiFan24
04-26-2012, 01:54 PM
Don't really care about comments, just wanted to get one more out there.

1. Indianapolis Colts QB Andrew Luck, Stanford
Just so my mock doesnt look weird with no commentary under the first two picks, Ill use this space to say how stupid it is to rank RG3 over Luck. I am all for high upside guys, but when a QBs floor is generally thought to be Matt Ryan, you take him immediately. And I dont even like Matt Ryan. Theres no chance that Andrew Luck isnt a pro bowl caliber QB.

2. Washington Redskins (f/STL) QB Robert Griffin III, Baylor
RG3 is pretty much my #2 overall player by deafult. I still am not totally sure what to make of him due to the difficulty to evaluate his offense vs. a Big 12 defense, but watching him workout and hearing him speak, along with his dynamic play on the field, I have a hard time seeing him fail in the NFL. I dont think I like him as much as I liked Cam Newton, but I dont doubt hell be a good player.

3. Minnesota Vikings CB Morris Claiborne, Louisiana State
To Rick Spielmans credit, if hes actually planning on taking Matt Kalil, he and his staff has done a masterful job of convincing me otherwise. I expect this pick to be Claiborne or Blackmon, and even though Blackmon makes more sense from the standpoint of adding playmakers for Ponder, Claiborne is a better value and the guy that Spielman has been talking up all along. I think he wants Claiborne if he cant trade down to #5 or 6, and in the end hell take him.

4. Cleveland Browns RB Trent Richardson, Alabama
The Mayock mock made me switch this to Blackmon, but the reports today say Richardson or Claiborne. I dont think anyone knows one way or another, but I have such little idea that Ill trust the report.

5. Buffalo Bills (f/TB) OT Matt Kalil, Southern California
TRADE: Buffalo trades #10 and #41 for #5, #140 and #174
Im weary of Buffalo trading up since Buddy Nix likes to have a certain number of picks in a given draft, but he gets this is a pretty good price to pay for an elite LT. Tampa Bay is happy to trade down with its top two targets off the board.

6. St. Louis Rams WR Justin Blackmon, Oklahoma State
Honestly I made this pick mostly because I dont want to screw up the rest of my mock. Im about 50-50 between Blackmon and Cox. Blackmon would solve a much bigger problem area for the Rams, though.

7. San Diego Chargers (f/Jax) S Mark Barron, Alabama
TRADE: Jacksonville trades #7 to San Diego for #18, #49, and #79
If things shake out like this, this pick goes to the highest bidder. The top commodities: Tannehill, Barron and Cox. I dont think anyone offers much for Tannehill; in fact, if Miami doesnt take him, I think he could be in for a Brady Quinn-esque fall. The bidding war comes down to the teams that want Cox Philadelphia and Seattle and Barron Dallas, San Diego and New England. Philly and San Diego stand out there, and I think the Chargers have more to gain by moving up and grabbing a day one starter, rather than the situational pass rusher theyd take at 18.

8. Miami Dolphins DE Chandler Jones, Syracuse
And heres your first curveball. For reasons that escape me, everyone universally agrees that this pick is Tannehill because Mike Sherman coached him. Even if we were sure that Sherman liked him, how much would that even matter? His opinion is maybe the fifth most important, and its biased. Arent Philbin, Ireland, Peterson, etc. capable of watching tape? I do believe that Stephen Ross wants Ryan Tannehill, but hes not in the draft room, and I doubt it makes any difference to Ireland what Ross wants. So my gut feeling is that this isnt Tannehill. Unfortunately, nobody in the media has bothered reporting on Miamis draft plans, so Im kind of in the dark here. My gut tells me this is a strong side DE to help with the conversion to the 4-3, and Chandler Jones is getting a lot more love than Coples these days. Seems like the type of pick a Parcells protg would make. Big, strong, fast, hard worker. Every bit as likely as Tannehill, IMO.

9. Carolina Panthers DT Fletcher Cox, Mississippi State
Another pick I could easily overthink, but Im going to avoid doing that and just give Cox to the Panthers. Hes a great scheme fit and hes in a class of his own in terms of DTs in this draft. Im a little concerned that hes not the most natural partner for Terrell McClain and that they may want to keep Sione Fua in that role, but Coxs talent stands out here.

10. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (f/Buf) LB Luke Kuechly, Boston College
About as good a scenario as Tampa Bay can ask for, given the first 4 picks. Stephen Gilmore is also a consideration, but my gut tells me Kuechly.

11. Kansas City Chiefs DT/DE Michael Brockers, Louisiana State
As much as it will pain most Chiefs fans, I dont see them taking Tannehill. I think its Brockers, Gilmore and an outside chance of Michael Floyd. When in doubt, I give Pioli the defensive lineman.

12. Detroit Lions (f/Sea) CB Stephen Gilmore, South Carolina
TRADE: Seattle trades #12 to Detroit for #23 and #55
Going out on a bit of a limb here. Detroits top need is corner and I dont think they want to take a chance on Jenkins or Kilpatrick. They were rumored to have been looking to trade up for Patrick Peterson, and Gilmore is a similarly talented athlete. I dont like any guys for Seattle here with Kuechly off the board.

13. Arizona Cardinals WR Michael Floyd, Notre Dame
The rumor is that the Cardinals may even look to move up for Floyd. Its not their biggest need, but Floyd is by far the BPA. It would certainly give Kolb a chance to look competent. Would have gone Cordy Glenn if Floyd were off the board.

14. Dallas Cowboys OG David DeCastro, Stanford
Its either Poe or DeCastro here. Gonna go with DeCastro, since Poe hasnt been to the Ranch as far as Im aware.

15. Philadelphia Eagles DT Dontari Poe, Memphis
Philly is linked to a million different prospects. I cant imagine them taking Tannehill. Not totally confident in this pick either, but I do think it has to be a defensive lineman.

16. New York Jets LB Melvin Ingram, South Carolina
New York is fortunate to get a guy that Rex is rumored to like a lot. Ingram gets a lot of Adalius Thomas comparisons, and Ingram will have a chance to be an 8-10 sack guy while lining up in different spots on the field.

17. Cincinnati Bengals DE Courtney Upshaw, Alabama
Its pretty widely assumed that Upshaw is one of the Bengals targets. If they really want him, it would be smart to take him here instead of 21.

18. Jacksonville Jaguars (f/SD) DE Whitney Mercilus, Illinois
Seems like a pretty typical Jacksonville guy. Hard worker, good character and not valued quite as highly by the rest of the league. I think Jacksonville would prefer to address an offensive skill position, but they now have 4 picks in rounds 2 and 3 to work with.

19. Chicago Bears DE Quinton Coples, North Carolina
If someone would have told me 2 months ago that the Bears would be staring at Coples and Reiff on the board at 19, I wouldnt have believed it. I would believe it even less that a part of me thinks the Bears go with Shea McClellin instead. Im going my personal favorite though and crossing my fingers.

20. Tennessee Titans DE Shea McClellin, Boise State
I never have any idea what Tennessee is thinking. They need a DE, and McClellin made a visit. Stephen Hill is also a possibility, but I want to get Shea off the board in this range.

21. Cincinnati Bengals CB Dre Kirkpatrick, Alabama
A part of me isnt sure Cincinnati would take another chance on a character risk, but Kirkpatrick is such a good fit. Im giving them Kirkpatrick of Glenn.

22. Cleveland Browns QB Ryan Tannehill, Texas A&M
Reiff is intriguing, but at 22 Cleveland feels compelled to stop the fall.

23. Seattle Seahawks (f/Det) LB Donta Hightower, Alabama
Thumper MLB that can come off the field on third downs to begin his career.

24. Pittsburgh Steelers OG Cordy Glenn, Georgia
I dont feel like commenting anymore.

25. Minnesota Vikings (f/Den) OT Riley Reiff, Iowa
TRADE: Denver trades #25 and #87 to Minnesota for #35 and #66
Minnesota passed on Kalil at #3 but they get the second bes t OT prospect at 25 and probably a better fit for what they look for in a tackle. Pretty ideal scenario.

26. Houston Texans TE Coby Fleener, Stanford
Pretty popular pick. Ill go with it since I want to get Fleener into the first round.

27. New England Patriots C Peter Konz, Wisconsin
Not sure why Konz has lost so much steam, but I think New England would pounce. Hes a sure thing.

28. Green Bay Packers DT/DE Kendall Reyes, Connecticut
Green Bay hasgotten a little thin on the D-line over the past couple seasons. Reyes can come in and give them some of what Cullen Jenkins did in before 2011.

29. Baltimore Ravens WR Kendall Wright, Baylor
Can work out of the slot and take over as the flanker when Boldin cant do it anymore.

30. San Francisco 49ers OG Amini Silatolu, Midwestern State
Could easily go higher than this, but linemen fell out of my top 20.

31. New England Patriots WR Stephen Hill, Georgia Tech
Im sure Pats fans will be thrilled that Belichick ignores the defense again. Its kind of becoming a trend though. Hill his a developmental flier that the Pats cant overlook in this spot.

32. New York Giants DE Andre Branch, Clemson
When in doubt, give the Giants a DE.

Round 2
33. St. Louis Rams DT Alameda Taamu, Washington
Seems like the Rams have more of a need at NT than UT, so its Taamu over Worthy or Still.

34. Indianapolis Colts CB Janoris Jenkins, Northern Alabama
I dont think his fall lasts that far after the first round. Teams dont want to spend a first on him, but his talent is too much in the second.

35. Denver Broncos (f/Min) DT Jerel Worthy, Michigan State
Probably woud have taken him in the first anyway.

36. Tampa Bay Buccaneers RB David Wilson, Virginia Tech
Heres your compliment to LaGarrette Blount. Martins starting to get overvalued.

37. Cleveland Browns OT Jonathan Martin, Stanford
Would have been a consideration at 22.

38. Jacksonville Jaguars WR Brian Quick, Appalachian State
Gene.

39. St. Louis Rams (f/Wsh) RB Doug Martin, Boise State
Finally grab a capable runner behind Steven Jackson.

40. Carolina Panthers CB Trumaine Johnson, Montana
Will come off the board quickly in round 2. Panthers hit their top two needs.

41. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (f/Buf) CB Brandon Boykin, Georgia

42. Miami Dolphins QB Brock Osweiler, Arizona State

43. Seattle Seahawks S George Iloka, Boise State
Hes going to come off earlier than expected. The Seahawks are looking for a nickel safety that moves Chancellor to LB, and Iloka fits that mold.

44. Kansas City Chiefs S Harison Smith, Notre Dame
Hard to pass on this value.

45. Dallas Cowboys LB Ronnell Lewis, Oklahoma
Can rotate with Anthony Spencer and replace him in 2013.

46. Philadelphia Eagles CB Casey Hayward, Vanderbilt
I like him in the cover 2, but he could be a good slot corner for Philly.

47. New York Jets WR Rueben Randle, Louisiana State
Hopefully can step in as the #2 opposite Holmes.

48. New England Patriots (f/Oak) DE/LB Bruce Irvin, West Virginia
Not New Englands prototypical pass rusher, but I like him in the Mark Anderson. Line him up and ask him to get to the QB. Hell be very good at that.

49. Jacksonville Jaguars (f/SD) CB Dwight Bentley, Louisiana Lafayette

50. Chicago Bears OT Jeff Allen, Illinois
Personally, not a fan of this pick. I think a WR like Marvin Jones might be the way Id go. But I think theyll take a tackle and kick him into guard if he can win a job there.

51. Philadelphia Eagles (f/Arz) LB Zach Brown, North Carolina
Good value here.

52. Tennessee Titans LB Mychal Kendricks, California
Ditto.

53. Cincinnati Bengals WR Alshon Jeffery, South Carolina
More character questions, but has more to do with work ethic. Probably worth a flier at this point.

54. Atlanta Falcons OT/OG Kevin Zeigler, Wisconsin
Fell way further than he should have.

55. Seattle Seahawks (f/Det) DE Nick Perry, Southern California
A little further than I wanted him to fall, but I do see him dropping a bit.

56. Pittsburgh Steelers OT Mike Adams, Ohio State
Worth a flier at #56. Glenn kicks into guard from day one and Adams gets a shot at tackle.

57. Denver Broncos RB Lamar Miller, Miami
Better than Doug Martin, as far as Im concerned.

58. Houston Texans DE/LB Vinny Curry, Marshall
Not a great fit, but I dont see Houston letting him fall much further.

59. Green Bay Packers DE/LB Oliver Vernon, Miami

60. Baltimore Ravens OG Brandon Brooks, Miami (Ohio)

61. San Francisco 49ers WR A.J. Jenkins, Illinois

62. New England Patriots DT Devon Still, Penn State

63. New York Giants OT Bobbie Massie, Mississippi

hagy34
04-26-2012, 02:01 PM
I like it....

BaLLiN
04-26-2012, 03:16 PM
i could see the giants doing that, but massie lasting till our pick in the second? idk

ChiFan24
04-26-2012, 03:31 PM
i could see the giants doing that, but massie lasting till our pick in the second? idk

Just kind of fell that way. I wouldn't necessarily bet on it.

ChiFan24
04-26-2012, 03:32 PM
I would actually like some thoughts on my #7 and #8 picks, if anyone has any.

vidae
04-26-2012, 03:33 PM
Holy christ, if we pass on Tannehill for Brockers and then draft a S in the second I'll be more pissed than Tyson Jackson 3rd overall. That would be an abortion of a draft.

ThatOneGuy
04-26-2012, 03:50 PM
I like the direction you went trading #12 and getting Hightower in the first....I like Iloka as a player, not sure in that spot though...Perry wouldn't be bad late in the 2nd

ChiFan24
04-26-2012, 05:28 PM
La Canfora reporting the Lions are looking to move up for Gilmore. I'm taking full credit for that when it happens.
Holy christ, if we pass on Tannehill for Brockers and then draft a S in the second I'll be more pissed than Tyson Jackson 3rd overall. That would be an abortion of a draft.
No argument here.

T-RICH49
04-26-2012, 05:41 PM
chifan why do you hate me?

ChiFan24
04-26-2012, 05:48 PM
chifan why do you hate me?
I can't help that Pioli is likely to make the most boring decision possible. For your sake, I hope you go Tannehill in the first, and actually Harrison Smith isn't too bad in the second. But I like Harrison Smith.