PDA

View Full Version : Woodson: Safety or Corner?

Sportsfan486
04-28-2012, 03:50 PM
This is going to be our biggest question heading into the season. Will we move Woodson to Safety or keep him at Corner?

I really think the smart move is to put him at FS and Burnett at SS. With his ball skills and awareness there's no reason to think he wouldn't be as good as Nick Collins was at the position. He also may have lost a step but he's still fast for a safety.

The main reason I'd like this move is I think our corners are stronger. Heyward and House can battle with Bush for the #3 position and that is still a strong NFL caliber CB core, especially if Tramon gets back to his Super Bowl run form.

I think we'd lose a bit of Woodson's versatility but I also wouldn't be surprised to see him pull down even more INTs as a ball-hawking FS. With our additions to the front seven, I feel the loss of his presence there isn't as big an issue as having Charlie "why is that WR running past me?" Peprah or a rookie back there. I also like that it would probably prolong Woodson's career and let us sit Jerron back there to learn behind him.

What do you guys see as the likely scenario and the pros and cons of it?

Burger
04-28-2012, 04:36 PM
I would love to see woodson split time at both positions like he has been doing. You want to keep Charles in or near the box because he can make those hard coverage grabs, but at the same time, Charles is a great cover man in both Zone and man. I think depending on the situation, charles should play both. He already knows both positions.

Sportsfan486
04-28-2012, 05:10 PM
I would love to see woodson split time at both positions like he has been doing. You want to keep Charles in or near the box because he can make those hard coverage grabs, but at the same time, Charles is a great cover man in both Zone and man. I think depending on the situation, charles should play both. He already knows both positions.

I read some advanced statistic article earlier this year that said Woodson spent less than 15% of his plays at Safety, so anything approaching a 50/50 split would be a huge change.

SuperPacker
04-28-2012, 05:19 PM
Unless we plan on making dime our base defense i dont see how Woodson is not moved to safety. Make Williams, Shields and Hayward our starting corners and Woodson and Burnett our safeties.

That is a much better option than Williams/Shields/Woodson and Burnett/Peprah. Just because Peprah was pretty poor last season.

Burger
04-28-2012, 05:39 PM
I read some advanced statistic article earlier this year that said Woodson spent less than 15% of his plays at Safety, so anything approaching a 50/50 split would be a huge change.

I want to see a split, because Charles Woodson is great being near the box in nickle. Charles will probably be more inside the box as Burnett will play free.

SuperPacker
04-28-2012, 05:40 PM
Yep, Woodson to Strong and Burnett to Free would make the most sense.

WCH
04-28-2012, 06:59 PM
I think he's going to play more and more safety over his last few seasons.

TimmG6376
04-28-2012, 07:42 PM
Hard to say. Right now in Hayward and House we are talking about young guys who haven't played a down in the NFL. With that I say going into camp it will be business as usual with Burnett and Peprah at the safety positions. It think their jobs will be much easier with the improved front seven (yes I realize that is also predicated on young/new players playing up to expectations).

Now should either of those young guys have a great training camp they could force the coaching staff to adjust in order to get the best group on the field which could mean moving Woodson to safety.

Edit to throw McMillan into that group of young guys that could change the dynamic with a strong camp.

johbur
04-29-2012, 03:04 AM
Woodson has evolved into such an incredible player under Capers that I wouldn't even define him. He's almost like an odd-stack LB that is a LB/S/CB mix. He blitzes and makes O-Lines crap they pants, he covers the slot and then he jams at the line and can go head up on the outside against all but the fastest WRs.