04-28-2012, 07:25 PM
Discuss the 2013 NFL Draft as it relates to the Minnesota Vikings here

Vikings4ever
04-28-2012, 07:29 PM
So who do we take at number 32?

djp
04-28-2012, 07:30 PM
Guys I love for 2013, assuming we pick towards the top half again:

1) Robert Woods, WR USC - Yeah, he's an absolute monster. Not sure there's a real hole in his game.. would be a welcome addition obviously.

2) David Amerson, CB NC State - 13 picks last year and appears to possess everything you'd want in a corner outside of a frail farme

3) Tyrann Mathieu, CB/S LSU - Not a whole lot you can't do schematically with the Honey Badger roaming in the secondary

4) Manti Te'o, ILB Notre Dame - We need to upgrade this spot in the worst way

5) Johnathon Hankins, DT Ohio State - Would be nice to have an anchor in the middle to help out Jared Allen for what will be the likely start of his decline

hagy34
04-28-2012, 08:42 PM
Unfortunately with our division I see us picking in the top 10 again. I love David Amerson and Mathieu as prospects for this team. A huge need will still be WR so Woods would be sick as well although I think hes the 2nd best WR on his own team right now.

Lets just enjoy the process and hope that a strong class offers us a good prospect a year from now!

russie
04-28-2012, 08:52 PM
4) Manti Te'o, ILB Notre Dame - We need to upgrade this spot in the worst way

yes please...

VikesWookie
04-28-2012, 11:27 PM
if we expend a high round draft choice on a WR i hope it's a guy who's more a prototypical size. Woods is what... 6-6'1-190lb?
i'd rather see how the season plays out and if there's a fitz,aj,cj... then covet. woods career game will forever be against our beloved vermin :(

Vikes99ej
04-28-2012, 11:30 PM
Robert Woods Robert Woods Robert Woods Robert Woods Robert Woods

We completely ignored the WR position when it mattered in this draft. Our offense will probably sputter and we'll be in a good position to get him.

VikesWookie
04-29-2012, 12:06 AM
who is it that you thought the vikes should've targeted?
taking into the fact of how things fell of course ;)

FuzzyGopher
04-29-2012, 03:31 PM
WR will probably be the biggest need going into next offseason. I'll definitely be paying attention to Keenan Allen, Robert Woods and Marquess Wilson this fall.

hagy34
04-29-2012, 05:59 PM
Safety is still going to be a huge need for us as well. And probably DT.

SuperPacker
04-29-2012, 06:53 PM
Im sorry, i just cant take the Robert Woods hate. A faster Fitzgerald. Thats what he is. Did you know he didnt drop a ball all season.

Heisman
05-01-2012, 09:04 PM
Calling it right now:

In the first round of the 2013 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings select Keenan Allen, WR, California

Ozzy
09-28-2012, 07:08 AM
If I were the Vikings I would be looking at these players very aggressively.

WR
Justin Hunter Tennessee JR
Keenan Allen Cal JR
Robert Woods USC JR
Da'Rick Rogers Tennessee Tech JR
Jaz Reynolds Oklahoma JR
Cobi Hamilton Arkansas
Jordan Matthews Vanderbilt JR
Tavarres King Georgia
Tavon Austin West Virginia
Aaron Dobson Marshall
Kenny Stills Oklahoma JR
Rodney Smith Florida State
JD Woods West Virginia

CB
Xavier Rhodes Florida State RS JR
DeMarcus Milliner Alabama JR
Darqueze Dennard Michigan State JR
Kyle Fuller Virginia Tech JR
David Amerson NC State JR
Jordan Poyer Oregon State
Logan Ryan Rutgers

ILB
Manti Te'o Notre Dame
Arthur Brown Kansas State TS
Alec Ogletree Georgia JR
Christian Jones Florida State JR
Jon Bostic Florida
Kevin Reddick UNC
James Morris Iowa JR
Andrew Jackson Western Kentucky JR

OLB
Jarvis Jones Georgia RS JR
Barkevious Mingo LSU RS JR
Kyle Van Noy BYU JR
Shayne Skov Stanford
Michael Mauti Penn State
Uona Kaveinga BYU
Jamie Collins Southern Miss
Khaseem Greene Rutgers
Walter Stewart Cincinnati RS

FS
Tony Jefferson Oklahoma JR
Lamarcus Joyner Florida State JR

Corners are not real deep in this draft, so I would not be surprised to see them taking a corner 1st or 2nd, but really our biggest need is at receiver and there is a lot of top talent in that position as well if some juniors come out.

the_legend_killer
01-06-2013, 02:16 AM
Receivers.

The Dynasty
01-06-2013, 11:56 AM
Receivers.

Round 1: Receiver
Round 2: CB
Round 3: ILB

Thats what I would like to see as of right now.

marshallb
01-06-2013, 01:02 PM
Round 1: Receiver
Round 2: CB
Round 3: ILB

Thats what I would like to see as of right now.

I would put ILB and DT over CB right now. Robinson had flashes that make me think he could be a good corner with another season and Winfield was damn good again when healthy this year, same with Cook. Winfield is probably done after one more year, but I'd probably rather use a mid rounder to groom as his replacement/depth this year. Right now, obviously with a lot depending on free agency and all, but I would rank the Vikings needs:

1. WR
2. ILB
3. DT
4. CB
5. OG

If Loadholt were to leave in free agency, then RT would jump up the list as would OLB if Erin Henderson were to leave and things like that, but as of right now that's how I would rank the Vikings needs.

The Dynasty
01-06-2013, 01:39 PM
I would put ILB and DT over CB right now. Robinson had flashes that make me think he could be a good corner with another season and Winfield was damn good again when healthy this year, same with Cook. Winfield is probably done after one more year, but I'd probably rather use a mid rounder to groom as his replacement/depth this year. Right now, obviously with a lot depending on free agency and all, but I would rank the Vikings needs:

1. WR
2. ILB
3. DT
4. CB
5. OG

If Loadholt were to leave in free agency, then RT would jump up the list as would OLB if Erin Henderson were to leave and things like that, but as of right now that's how I would rank the Vikings needs.

I agree with what you said about our current CB's but I just always come back to the fact that we have Calvin Johnson, Jordy Nelson, Brandon Marshall, Randall Cobb and James Jones to deal with in our division. I just think we need the best possible CB we can get.

Also with DT, I think we can re-sign Kevin Williams to a lower contract than what he is at. Id like to see him finish his career in Minnesota. He is one of my favorite players. Also we have always had success finding DT's in the late rounds like Guion and Evans.

Earlier in the year when we were starting to decline I was really hoping for Teo'o for ILB but thats unlikely now but I'd like to see what we can get other than Brinkley. I like him but he is just average at best.

marshallb
01-06-2013, 02:36 PM
I agree with what you said about our current CB's but I just always come back to the fact that we have Calvin Johnson, Jordy Nelson, Brandon Marshall, Randall Cobb and James Jones to deal with in our division. I just think we need the best possible CB we can get.

Also with DT, I think we can re-sign Kevin Williams to a lower contract than what he is at. Id like to see him finish his career in Minnesota. He is one of my favorite players. Also we have always had success finding DT's in the late rounds like Guion and Evans.

Earlier in the year when we were starting to decline I was really hoping for Teo'o for ILB but thats unlikely now but I'd like to see what we can get other than Brinkley. I like him but he is just average at best.

I understand where you're coming from on all of that. You can never have enough CBs in the NFL, but to me it's not a huge need unless Winfield were to retire this offseason. I think Williams will re-sign with the Vikings, but even at that, he'll be 33 by the start of next season and isn't the same player he once was. Guion and Evans are ok, but I'd rather have them as rotational guys rather than as every down players. Brinkley started the year out playing really well, but then he was exploited in coverage and has shown he's nothing more than a dirty caliber starter in the NFL and is better as a backup, especially in a pass happy division playing Green Bay, Detroit, and Chicago twice each year. Te'o is unlikely, but there are some other very good ILB that should be going around when the Vikings pick in the first round such as Alec Ogletree or Kevin Minter or in the second round, guys like Kevin Reddick, Nico Johnson, Michael Mauti, or Shayne Skov.

Come draft day, though, it all depends on value and who falls and the like. If a good value at CB falls to the Vikings in the second round, I'd be extremely happy with the pick.

The Dynasty
01-07-2013, 01:07 AM
We officially have the 23rd pick in the 2013 NFL Draft. Not bad for being 3rd last year.

RedMeat
01-20-2013, 06:25 AM
I feel the team will want a WR with some size, which there are a few this year. Cordarrelle Patterson/Terrance Williams mold of 6-3 205, which probably be available at 23. If Miami does not nab Keenan Allen (6-3 210) at 12, he might slide. Rams at 22, thanks to the 'skins, might get him. Justin Hunter (6-4 200) is also in the mix. Does the GM see value at 23, or wait till the 2nd for a WR?
Vike's just fixed the Left Tackle issue, and have to get Phil Loadholt back at RT, period. The MLB Manti Te'o availability at 23 could be very interesting for the team. A Percy Harvin trade and additional draft pick added could also throw Vikings mock drafts in chaos. Free-Agency or draft pick, the team has to get some huge beef next to Kevin Williams. No replacement for Pat Williams has been found yet. Our 280-300 pound lightweights at DT just do not cut it, and it shows. I hope our GM takes care of this ignored issue finally this off season.

General Zod
01-24-2013, 09:02 AM
Im kinda falling in love with Keenan Allen the more I research him. But I think theres a good chance he is gone before we get to him at 23.

Azhais
01-24-2013, 03:57 PM
Right now, obviously with a lot depending on free agency and all, but I would rank the Vikings needs:

1. WR
2. ILB
3. DT
4. CB
5. OG

I'd also include "quarterback" in that list. Ponder has been awful and not showing a lot of signs of improvement.

edit: or, at the very least, "new quarterback coach" if people think Ponder is salvageable (which I don't).

marshallb
01-24-2013, 11:25 PM
I'd also include "quarterback" in that list. Ponder has been awful and not showing a lot of signs of improvement.

edit: or, at the very least, "new quarterback coach" if people think Ponder is salvageable (which I don't).

No matter your opinion on Ponder(and mine is no where near as bad as yours, but I'm not going to get into that), I don't see any way that the front office will draft a QB to compete with Ponder. I could see them drafting a potential backup guy in the mid rounds given how ****** Webb looked and the fact that the only other QB on the roster is Bethel-Thompson. Where as I would rank all of those needs well above backup QB.

General Zod
01-25-2013, 04:23 PM
Yeah there's no way we draft a QB high this off season. There's no way that they are giving up on Ponder that quick. And it wasn't like he was awful all season. There were stretches where he played very well. I could see them bringing in a veteran back up for him though.

Taber21
01-25-2013, 08:59 PM
I could see them bringing in a veteran back up for him though.

I have been hoping for that since they drafted him. Would be great to get someone in who Ponder doesn't need to look over his shoulder at but can still use him as a mentor-type aide.

djp
01-25-2013, 09:17 PM
I'm not high on many of the WR in this class, but where we are picking, it definitely makes sense to try to hit a homer on someone like Patterson, Allen, or Williams. I definitely like Williams the least out of those guys though.

scottyboy
01-29-2013, 12:57 PM
what are you guys' thoughts on perhaps picking Logan Ryan in the 2nd? I just feel he's a perfect Antoine Winfield clone/replacement.

prock
01-30-2013, 12:39 AM
I'd dig that. Corner is a huge need for us.

scottyboy
01-30-2013, 01:44 AM
ok, gnarly. because i like you guys and LOVE logan. I feel he'd be a great fit for you. He's not a playmaker, but in 3 years, I've seen him miss maybe 1 tackle and will be a consistent guy for you for years. i think it's a great fit, honestly

RedMeat
02-11-2013, 11:48 AM
As it stands today, Pre-Percy deal and combine, WR Cordarrelle Patterson might have value and fill need at 23. I am leaning towards an OLB at 52. Someone who can cover a TE. Greenway is solid as a rock, but few big highlight plays. Would be great to acquire a fast, big play OLB who can blitz, and cover. Rutgers Khaseem Greene might have value there and be that guy.
At 83, I'm not sure yet, but Charlie Johnson and Brandon Fusco are major weak links. Only All-Day could get the yards behind those clowns. Every game I see, I just don't understand the Vikings man-love with Fusco. Big DT's throw him around like a rag-doll. The Badgers near 340 pound Travis Frederick is a man-beast who is agile enough to also play center.

jimmylishis
02-21-2013, 10:25 PM
Does anyone else think we should go for another safety? Jamarca Sanford just isn't cutting it and after seeing the impact smith had on our d last year it might be worth a high round pick

General Zod
02-22-2013, 03:10 PM
Does anyone else think we should go for another safety? Jamarca Sanford just isn't cutting it and after seeing the impact smith had on our d last year it might be worth a high round pick

Yeah if we picked up say David Amerson with our 2nd pick, I wouldnt hate that at all. He reminds me a bit of Robert Griffin. That is of course we get a WR with our first pick.

BuckNaked
02-22-2013, 03:54 PM
I think we already came out saying Mistral Raymond will start next year, which I'm also not all enthused about it. I would really like for us to address our linebackers in the 2nd round actually. I doubt Minter will fall to us, but it seems likely that we could scoop up Arthur Brown or Khaseem Greene.

General Zod
02-23-2013, 10:56 PM
It was mentioned briefly before, but I have this sneaky feeling that we end up with Manti Te'o. Say if Patterson and Allen are gone by the time we pick at 23, which is totally possible. Do they go for Hunter or Hopkins?(or maybe even Branch who I love). If Erin and Jasper do not resign that leaves us with a big hole at LB.

BuckNaked
02-24-2013, 01:27 PM
It was mentioned briefly before, but I have this sneaky feeling that we end up with Manti Te'o. Say if Patterson and Allen are gone by the time we pick at 23, which is totally possible. Do they go for Hunter or Hopkins?(or maybe even Branch who I love). If Erin and Jasper do not resign that leaves us with a big hole at LB.

Yeah I would be alright with that if Hunter dropped to us in the 2nd, but that's a bit of a risk to be taking. I wouldn't be surprised if we brought both of them back; I just don't love the idea of starting Brinkley again in the middle. Hopefully we can make a move or two in free agency for a veteran receiver and address the secondary a bit.

RollingMoss
02-26-2013, 05:20 PM
MY DREAM DRAFT!11 (while trying to be somewhat reasonable and not going too in-depth because I'm lazy):

1) I do not want a receiver in the first round not named Cordarralle Patterson. I like Keenan Allen, but I think there's going to be other players/positions/talent available that will help us more than a receiver (and even though receiver is our biggest need, we can get one later). I've noticed Jonathan Cooper dropping in mocks (doubt that ends up happening in reality), but he would be a wet dream (trading up for Chance Warmack would be a wet orgy). Jesse Williams should be there and I'd be very, very happy with that pick. If Ogletree falls, sign me up for that as well. Maybe Vaccaro doesn't rise as much as others think. There's going to be other players available at positions where we have holes. My main point: Don't waste a first-rounder on a receiver when we've seen too many Yatil Greens flame-out while Anquan Boldins thrive.

Or for god's sakes, T'eo. I pity the fanbase that has to defend that pick.

2) Waste it on a receiver, if and only if their last name is Hunter, Woods, or Hopkins. If they're all gone, go secondary: Amerson (gonna be a steal if moved to free safety), Banks, Elam, Reid (in that order). If they're all gone, take the opposite side of the line that we went in first round (if oline in first round, dline now; dline first round, oline now.)

3) Gotta take a receiver now if we haven't yet: Da'Rick Rogers, Aaron Dobson, or Kenny Stills. If we took a receiver in the second (or god forbid the first), and we already got a lineman (either side), take a linebacker like Khaseem Greene or Arthur Brown.

4a) Honey Badger. Do it. Tell him to watch Antoine, put him in the slot and at returner, and let him be Honey Badger....and if he goes Honey Badger off the field, whatever. Risk/Reward.

4b and beyond) Fill the holes. We gotta come out of this thing with an olineman (or two), a dlineman (or two), a linebacker (or two), a secondary player (or two), and a receiver (or two).

This draft is really deep though and Spielman definitely went up in my eyes after last season's home-run of a draft. Hope he goes back-to-back.

And doesn't pick a receiver in the first round.

The Dynasty
02-26-2013, 08:36 PM
Patterson more than likely will be gone by the time we choose at 23. The WR depth in this draft is pretty deep so I wouldn't be shocked at all if we waited till the 2nd round and grabbed the best player available in the 1st.

As for the Honey Badger... That wont happen. Vikings have been pretty much against players with off the field issues. Even though we need Play makers in the secondary, it wont be Him.

Taber21
02-26-2013, 09:39 PM
Patterson more than likely will be gone by the time we choose at 23. The WR depth in this draft is pretty deep so I wouldn't be shocked at all if we waited till the 2nd round and grabbed the best player available in the 1st.

As for the Honey Badger... That wont happen. Vikings have been pretty much against players with off the field issues. Even though we need Play makers in the secondary, it wont be Him.

The Vikings did give Simpson a chance this year after his marijuana related off field problems. Not saying his situation is the same as Mathieu's but the precedent is there. I am not sure they would be able to look past Mathieu's repeated offences, but who knows.

General Zod
02-28-2013, 09:13 PM
The Vikings did give Simpson a chance this year after his marijuana related off field problems. Not saying his situation is the same as Mathieu's but the precedent is there. I am not sure they would be able to look past Mathieu's repeated offences, but who knows.

Yeah but the Simpson signing was low risk, low reward type thing. You invest in players you draft.

Taber21
03-01-2013, 06:45 PM
Yeah but the Simpson signing was low risk, low reward type thing. You invest in players you draft.

Ya that's kind of what I was referring to when I said I wasn't really comparing their situations, more pointing out that flatly saying they won't give guys with off field problems a chance isn't 100% true.

BuckNaked
03-04-2013, 02:14 PM
Who do you guys want to see us taking in round 1? I'm going to make a wish list and feel free to do the same because I want to see how you guys are feeling going up to the draft.

1. Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee.
I don't really see him dropping to us at #23, but if he starts to slip at all I would have no qualms with trading up a few spots to snag him. He provides a rare blend of speed, size, and athleticism that would be an extremely dynamic match with Percy or even replace him if need be (god I hope not).

2. Alec Ogletree, ILB, Georgia
Another player who I think we'd be lucky to grab if he fell to us. Guy has all of the measurables and the production to back it up. Does not bother me that he is undersized and I'm much bigger on him than I am for the other options such as Teo and Minter. I'm outspokenly not a fan of Brinkley and don't want to waste the money in bringing him back.

3. Keenan Allen, WR, Cal
I really like Keenan Allen, think he's smooth, extremely fluid, and seems to be the most NFL-ready receiver along with Deandre Hopkins, which is huge for us right now. The only reasons I'd be hesitant to pull the trigger on him in round 1 is because of A) Injury concerns, although that can be alleviated a decent amount when we see how he performs on his pro day. and B) The depth there is at receiver in the draft this year. Even though it's a position of such dire need, there are a handful of guys we can pick up in round 2.

4. Sylvester Williams, DT, North Carolina
I would love to get our hands on Sheldon Richardson but I just don't see him making it anywhere near us. With Williams getting older and declining at a decent pace and no other options that are far too enticing at the position, we definitely need to address this early. I feel like he's a little underrated at the moment, and with how many quality DT's available this year, I can see him falling to us. Big, athletic, and very active. My type of player.

Added Thoughts: Positions I would like to see us address are WR, ILB, DT, CB, OLB, G in round 1 in that order. The reason I didn't put a CB up there is because the only guy I see worth taking in our place is Xavier Rhodes, but I don't like the way he would fit our scheme. I think Jarvis Jones is too much of a flight risk for round 1 although I love him as a player. Other guys I love as players but wouldn't take are Vaccaro and Cyprien because I don't want us to address safety in the 1st round two years in a row, despite it being a position of need. That leads me to where I believe our positions of need are. I would put it right now at: WR, DT, ILB, CB, S, OLB, G. That obviously is subject to change depending on how the re-signing of Loadholt, Henderson, Felton, etc. goes. I would like to see us make a decent splash at one position of need though in free agency though, although I'm not sure how likely that is.

General Zod
03-11-2013, 05:20 PM
So theres a chance that if the Vikes stand pat with there first round picks it could look something like Manti Teo and Keenan Allen?

I dont think that would be so terrible...

prock
03-11-2013, 05:22 PM
I don't like Te'o that much, but we do love Domers. I would kill for Allen or Hopkins though.

BuckNaked
03-11-2013, 05:50 PM
I don't like Te'o that much, but we do love Domers. I would kill for Allen or Hopkins though.

Agreed. And if Ogletree happened to fall that would be so money. Also hearing that the mid-round pick for next year will be a 3rd rounder so that's some more good news.

BlueBandit24
03-14-2013, 06:46 PM
I think this draft is set up well for the Vikings. I'm all about value and avoiding the temptation to force a pick due to need, and it just so happens that the value at 23 and 25 appears to match up with our needs. I'm excited to see how things play out. Regardless of whether or not Jennings becomes a Viking, I would like to see one of those first round picks spent on a receiver, with Allen and Hopkins being my personal favorites. With four picks in the top one hundred, I am confident the talent level will continue to grow with productive, high character guys being added to the roster. I was not high on Spielman when he was hired and he has completely changed my view of him. I trust him as the lead man in roster decisions.

The Dynasty
03-14-2013, 07:12 PM
I was not high on Spielman when he was hired and he has completely changed my view of him. I trust him as the lead man in roster decisions.

I was in the same boat as you man. I hated the hiring of him but after the drafts he has conducted, In Rick We Trust. He has hit in the 1st round and also in the later rounds especially the 4th round. Also he has always gone BPA too.

General Zod
03-16-2013, 05:44 PM
I wonder if with the Jennings signing that alters the Vikes plans of which WR they take in the first round. I still feel like they'll take one with one of there first round picks.

BlueBandit24
03-17-2013, 01:10 PM
I wonder if with the Jennings signing that alters the Vikes plans of which WR they take in the first round. I still feel like they'll take one with one of there first round picks.

With Jennings excelling in the intermediate game, they might look at a guy who can stretch the field, perhaps a Justin Hunter or Markus Wheaton. The good news is that you might not need to spend a 1st to find a guy with a complimentary skill-set, though I am hoping the team does give it a lot of thought if the right guys are there at 23 or 25. I'd be happy if we ended up with a guy like Wheaton in the 2nd and got some good value on defense in the 1st.

Taber21
03-17-2013, 01:15 PM
Schefter saying Tavon won't be on the board at 23. I hope this is true. I don't want the Vikings to get any ideas about taking him with either pick.

General Zod
03-17-2013, 04:37 PM
Im just not crazy about Patterson at all. He reminds me a lot of Troy Williamson.

The Dynasty
03-17-2013, 06:15 PM
Im just not crazy about Patterson at all. He reminds me a lot of Troy Williamson.

Personally I hate when a player is a JUCO and comes out after their junior year. I understand why he came out but I just don't trust him. He looks like an exciting prospect but 1 good year of production vs a player who has was productive in 3 years, give me the player who has production. I don't see Patterson getting near us though. The Jets or the Rams could be in play for a 1st round WR and depending on what happens with E. Sanders in New England, the Steelers could be in play for one as well.

marshallb
03-19-2013, 01:36 PM
The NFL announced compensatory picks last night, and as expected, the Vikings got none. The bigger news for Vikings fans is that the draft order is set. The Vikings picks are officially:

The Dynasty
03-19-2013, 05:49 PM
The NFL announced compensatory picks last night, and as expected, the Vikings got none. The bigger news for Vikings fans is that the draft order is set. The Vikings picks are officially:

I like having 6 picks in the first 120. A lot of talent in this draft this year. I'm gonna work on a mock draft for the Vikings soon.

stlouisfan37
03-25-2013, 01:28 PM
Personally I hate when a player is a JUCO and comes out after their junior year. I understand why he came out but I just don't trust him. He looks like an exciting prospect but 1 good year of production vs a player who has was productive in 3 years, give me the player who has production. I don't see Patterson getting near us though. The Jets or the Rams could be in play for a 1st round WR and depending on what happens with E. Sanders in New England, the Steelers could be in play for one as well.

I think you may be surprised. I think teams are going to look very closely at Patterson and come up with as many questions as answers. He is not a natural hands catcher, and a lot of passes get to his body. He had a decent game against Florida, but completely disappeared against S. Carolina, Georgia and Alabama. His ceiling is very high, but he has bust written all over him, and I think the odds are not in the drafting team's favor.

stlouisfan37
03-25-2013, 01:35 PM
I have heard it suggested that the Rams are really high on Tavon Austin, but that the Vikings are also very high on him as the perfect replacement for Harvin and could potentially trade up to leapfrog the Rams to take him. Have any of you heard this, and how would you feel about such a move?

marshallb
03-25-2013, 01:45 PM
I have heard it suggested that the Rams are really high on Tavon Austin, but that the Vikings are also very high on him as the perfect replacement for Harvin and could potentially trade up to leapfrog the Rams to take him. Have any of you heard this, and how would you feel about such a move?

I have heard no such thing, and would personally hate it. I think Jarius Wright would do just fine taking over as the slot receiver and that the need for an outside receiver far outweighs the need for a slot. Add on top of that the fact that I think Austin is overrated and is actually my #5 WR, it would piss me off greatly if they traded up for him.

stlouisfan37
03-25-2013, 02:29 PM
I have heard no such thing, and would personally hate it. I think Jarius Wright would do just fine taking over as the slot receiver and that the need for an outside receiver far outweighs the need for a slot. Add on top of that the fact that I think Austin is overrated and is actually my #5 WR, it would piss me off greatly if they traded up for him.

Gotcha. Maybe I am higher on Austin than most people. I think he is an explosive playmaker and would be acstatic if he were to fall to #22.

The Dynasty
03-25-2013, 11:49 PM
2013 Mock Draft
http://cf.juggle-images.com/matte/white/280x280/minnesota-vikings-script-logo-3-primary.jpg

1.23 - Keenan Allen, WR, California

http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Keenan+Allen+California+v+USC+qlhtUNQ22prl.jpg

1.25 - Kevin Minter, ILB, LSU

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/002/745/693/hi-res-6572128_crop_650.jpg

2.52 - Logan Ryan, CB, Rutgers

http://www.scarletknights.com/ck/images/football/2012/front/ryan_temple.jpg

3.83 - Shawn Williams, SS, Georgia

http://media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/43/505/6_505043.jpg

4.102 - Akeem Spence, DT, Illinois

http://media.mlive.com/broncos_impact/photo/10073862-large.jpg

4.120 - Keith Pough, OLB, Howard

http://endzonereport.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/k6xgakinyfiecyyc.jpg

5.155 - Josh Boyce, WR, TCU

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Josh+Boyce+BYU+v+TCU+dTRZazbCgkbl.jpg

6.189 - Jeff Baca, OG, UCLA

http://www.trbimg.com/img-505fd39f/turbine/la-sp-0924-ucla-football-20120924-001/600

7.213 - Micah Hyde, CB, Iowa

http://hawkcentral.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/tumblr_le794qWi5I1qcp3pdo1_5001.jpg

7.229 - Tourek Williams, DE, Florida International

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/002/993/393/hi-res-6814930_display_image.jpg

7.231 - Onterio McCalebb, RB, Auburn

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Onterio+McCalebb+Arkansas+v+Auburn+8VOcm8aVBXOl.jp g

This would be consdiered my hopeful vikings draft. Any suggestions or comments are always accepted.

The Dynasty
03-26-2013, 12:01 PM
I know this won't come as a surprise to most but ESPN was showing the Notre Dame Pro Day on Sportcenter and Rick Spielman was right there watching.

Power
03-26-2013, 12:32 PM
The Vikings gave a private workout to Princeton DE Mike Catapano today in long island and per this link via twitter were impressed enough to have scheduled Catapano to fly out to Minn to meet with Head Coach Leslie Frazier and Vikings Def Coordinator.
http://college2pro.com/showSingleArticle.php?id=159&page=browseArticles&category=NFL+Mock+Draft#.UVG0B5HI9BA.twitter

This is a video from Catapano's Pro Day on March 20th at Princeton.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSAL4b8lwXM

He has private workouts scheduled with 6 other NFL teams according to reports

BuckNaked
03-26-2013, 03:58 PM
Everyone is convinced we're gonna take Te'o. Kind of lukewarm on that whole scenario.

marshallb
03-26-2013, 11:55 PM
Everyone is convinced we're gonna take Te'o. Kind of lukewarm on that whole scenario.

I'm far from convinced of that, and there's a decent enough chance that he's gone by 23. I still like him to be a good starting MLB for a long time. I think he compares favorably to James Laurinaitis, another guy who was highly thought of until late in his senior season and the offseason where he ran a 4.82 40 at the combine(identical to Te'o's at a nearly identical size), and he slipped to the early second round and has been damn good for the Rams with him having at least 98 solo tackles every season.

The Dynasty:
I'd be very happy with that mock. I would have no complaints if that were what would happen. Everything looks realistic enough, other than the fact that I don't think Hyde would be there in 7th, same with McCaleb. Both went in the early 6th in the latest forum mock, and I've seen Hyde in particular go as high as early 5th in a couple mocks. Still, guys do fall, and it wouldn't shock me to see either or both of those guys there in the 7th.

Taber21
03-27-2013, 05:39 PM
The more I see Keenan Allen mocked to us and the more I watch tape of him the more I want him as a Viking. I just feel like he's the kind of receiver this team is going to need. His ceiling may not be as high as some in the draft, but I feel like a career that mirrors who would potentially play opposite him (Jennings) is not out of the question.

marshallb
03-29-2013, 02:20 PM
Albert Breer
‏@AlbertBreer
Ex-LSU CB Tyrann Mathieu has visits set up with the Vikings, Bucs, Patriots, 49ers, Bills, Cardinals, Bengals, Texans, Seahawks & Falcons

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/317716639183413250

The Dynasty
03-29-2013, 02:35 PM
https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/317716639183413250

He has tons of talent and great upside and at one point he was considered a top 15 pick in the NFL Draft before all the incidents at LSU. I would love to get him but I would be surprised though if we did take him. Just goes back to that character thing with Spielman.

marshallb
04-02-2013, 11:14 AM
The Vikings are holding their "top 30" event today. (http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/Two_top_receivers_Honey_Badger_among_Vikings_visit s_at_Top_30_event040213)

A few of the guys that are known to be there are Keenan Allen, DeAndre Hopkins, and Tyrann Mathieu.

EDIT: Utah St. CB Will Davis is also confirmed.

the_legend_killer
04-04-2013, 09:54 PM
Pretty sure my "Dream Draft" would involve something like this

1 (23): Keenan Allen, WR
1 (25): Alec Ogletree, ILB
2 (50): Logan Ryan, CB

After that, I'm pretty set TBH. Throw in a late-round WR flyer and a DT or two and I'm good.

The_Dude
04-05-2013, 04:42 PM
i like it. if not Ryan, then maybe a guy like Short if he's there.

jimmylishis
04-05-2013, 07:27 PM
I know its a bit different, but this is my dream Vikes draft.

1a- Keenan Allen or DeAndre Hopkins

Both are relatively safe prospects and should provide Ponder with a reliable target so we can make a decision on him without the "he doesnt have any receivers" excuse.

1b- Arthur Brown

My favorite MLB prospect in the draft for our system. Don't be surprised if he ends up going this high. I know he's undersized but how nice would it be to finally have someone that can cover? Hes the same size as bobby wagner and he did alright...

2- Kyle long

Hopefully he drops this far. Super athletic with good size and a mean streak. he would look great next to Kalil and Sullivan giving us a good core of young OL for the future.

Then in the mid/late rounds we get a zone CB and nose tackle.

I also would love us to take a chance on Marquise Goodwin with a mid rounder maybe a 4th. I don't think he's just a track star, hes got decent size and hands and makes good adjustments to the ball. He's got everything you can't coach, the rest can be worked on later. Also he would be a great replacement for percy in the return game.

BlueBandit24
04-06-2013, 12:45 PM
I'd be pretty content with both of those drafts. I wonder how much interest they'd have in Ogletree or Long though, given the off-field concerns. Long in particularly seems like he might be off the team's radar.

FuzzyGopher
04-14-2013, 08:40 PM
Tom Pelissero ‏@TomPelissero 27m
So #Vikings GM Rick Spielman dined with Manti Te'o before pro day (via @SI_PeterKing). Also talked at combine and had him in for visit. Hmm.

Not sure how I feel about this. Te'o is starting to growing on me again.

Dr. Gonzo
04-15-2013, 11:44 AM
I think Te'o is a weak minded little *****. He seems like the kind of person I would think it is a huge douchebag if I were to meet him in real life and definitely someone I would make fun of. I also think he is mentally unstable. I take Ogletree all day over him. All that said if the Vikings select him and he performs I will give full credit to him for turning it around after the debacle that was his fake girlfriend saga. I just really wish he would man up about what actually went on and not hide like a ***** and wait for it all to go away. He is talented for sure, hugely overrated at one time but talented, so the potential is certainly there for him to be a steal where he is selected.

prock
04-15-2013, 05:05 PM
I'm warming up to an early DE lately.

The_Dude
04-15-2013, 06:21 PM
I am in favor of Teo, but not at 23 or 25. Ideally, a trade down & a Teo selection would make me happy.

In the first 3 rounds, i would like to see the Vikings address WR, D-Line, & LB or CB. A trade down from one of the 1st round picks that results in an additional 3rd round pick would be sweetness.

The Dynasty
04-15-2013, 08:53 PM
Before the Alabama game I was really high on Manti Te'o. He is a high character guy who can clearly motivate a whole team like he did with Notre Dame so I would be fine with him at 25 to get a ILB that we need. I would love to see us wait til the 2nd round to get a WR that way we can take the best CB or DT available at 23 or 25 since the WR Class is so deep this year.

General Zod
04-17-2013, 05:36 AM
So has Allen fell off anyones wish list yet after the latest red flag? After this and the possibility of his knee still having issues, Im leaning towards Hopkins or Hunter.

marshallb
04-17-2013, 11:38 AM
So has Allen fell off anyones wish list yet after the latest red flag? After this and the possibility of his knee still having issues, Im leaning towards Hopkins or Hunter.

I've had Hunter as my #1 overall WR all year, but not for the Vikings. I think he'll struggle in the underneath and intermediate game, which is where Ponder lives. Allen has been and still is my #2 WR, but is my top choice for the Vikings. Unless his agent is lying, and he possibly could be, then Allen did not fail a drug test and didn't even have to go in for a re-test for that. (Link (http://www.mercurynews.com/cal-bears/ci_23037648/keenan-allens-declining-nfl-draft-stock-clouded-by)) Even if he did fail the drug test, it doesn't bother me. The guy on the field has been a beast, and would be a perfect guy to play opposite Jennings. If he would slide into the second round, I'd be all over him trading up to get him, but personally, I'd take him at 25 or even 23 if I thought Indy might take him. I like Hopkins as my #3 WR and would be very happy with him in the first, but to me he's a step behind Allen, Hunter, and even Patterson as far as upside goes, but I think he's much safer than Patterson.

Dr. Gonzo
04-18-2013, 11:59 AM
So I just did the forum mock and I am happy with who I drafted. It's looking now like Allen and Ogletree may not even be chosen in the first but I really like those two as prospects. Had Jarvis Jones made it one more pick I would have taken him at 22. After doing the mock I am seeing huge value in later rounds. So many guys will be chosen late that I think can make an impact on this team. In any case, here is who I drafted.

1(23) - Alec Ogletree ILB
1(25) - Keenan Allen WR
2(52) - Sylvester Williams DT
3(83) - Jordan Poyer CB
4(102) - Ryan Nassib QB
4(120) - Shawn Williams SS
5(155) - Eric Herman OG
6(189) - Reggie Dunn WR/RS
7(213) - Cooper Taylor OLB
7(214) - Charles Johnson WR
7(229) - Keith Pugh OLB

With a week to go until the draft, I would love to hear who everyone here would target early and later.

hagy34
04-18-2013, 02:44 PM
I don't want Allen. I'm praying for Hopkins. I think he's a good fit for us and reminds me a lot of Roddy White.

The Dynasty
04-18-2013, 06:57 PM
Ian Rapoport tweeted this out about 45 minutes ago.

From Total Access: Hear #Vikings want to move up in draft from 23 or 25. Want CB & WR. Moving up would likely mean WR: Austin or Patterson?

BlueBandit24
04-19-2013, 06:18 AM
I would hope it's Austin. I have a lot of questions about Patterson, and I do not think he would be the greatest fit here. As far as WR's are concerned, my list would be:

1. Austin
2. Hopkins
3. Allen

I'd be happy with any of the three. I still like Allen, despite the poor offseason he has had.

The Dynasty
04-19-2013, 12:17 PM
I would hope it's Austin. I have a lot of questions about Patterson, and I do not think he would be the greatest fit here. As far as WR's are concerned, my list would be:

1. Austin
2. Hopkins
3. Allen

I'd be happy with any of the three. I still like Allen, despite the poor offseason he has had.

Yeah same I would hope its Austin or a CB (Milliner or Rhodes) but I'd really rather not to trade up. I'd much rather see us take some at 23 and trade back at 25 with a team who wants to get back into the 1st round to get a QB.

General Zod
04-19-2013, 03:17 PM
Yeah same I would hope its Austin or a CB (Milliner or Rhodes) but I'd really rather not to trade up. I'd much rather see us take some at 23 and trade back at 25 with a team who wants to get back into the 1st round to get a QB.

Ditto. I like Austin but I dont think he's worth one of our high picks to move up. There are plenty of quality WRs in this draft. I wouldnt be shocked if the Vikes take 2 defensive players with there first 2 picks and grab a WR in the 2nd round.

yo123
04-19-2013, 11:06 PM
I know almost nothing about this draft compared to past years.

Are the rumors of Patterson falling legit? I think he'd fit in pretty well in our offense.

jimmylishis
04-20-2013, 12:18 AM
I know almost nothing about this draft compared to past years.

Are the rumors of Patterson falling legit? I think he'd fit in pretty well in our offense.

Yea I think for a relatively unproven player who is also somewhat of a project player, interviews are extremely important so he could really drop if his interviews were really as bad as people are making them sound. I don't really like him even where we are right now let alone trading up for him for the fact that I think this year we really have to figure out what we have in ponder, so we need an nfl ready guy to give him a chance to show what he can do with some real weapons. My guy this year is deandre Hopkins. while he may not have the upside of patterson, he is gunna be better from day 1 and still be a very good player for a long time. Keenan Allen would also be awesome, I'm having a hard time deciding who I would rather have.

The Dynasty
04-20-2013, 12:19 AM
Ditto. I like Austin but I dont think he's worth one of our high picks to move up. There are plenty of quality WRs in this draft. I wouldnt be shocked if the Vikes take 2 defensive players with there first 2 picks and grab a WR in the 2nd round.

Yeah same here. If we stay at 23 and 25 I see us taking Teo'o and then the best CB/DT available which should be Trufant and one of the Williams DT.

But I could also see this scenario:

1 (23) - Manti Teo'o
1 (25) - Trade Back with either the Eagles, Bills and Jags and pick up their 2nd round selection
2 (Selection from trade) - Robert Woods
2 (52) - BPA in CB/DT.

yo123
04-20-2013, 12:21 AM
Didn't Allen run a 4.8 or something? Those guys don't work out often, Jerry Rices and Anquan Boldins are few and far between.

yo123
04-20-2013, 12:22 AM
I do know that I don't want Teo'. Way too much of his hype comes from quarterbacks throwing passes directly to him. I'd be happy with him in the 3rd, but very frustrated if we took him in the first.

The Dynasty
04-20-2013, 12:34 AM
I do know that I don't want Teo'. Way too much of his hype comes from quarterbacks throwing passes directly to him. I'd be happy with him in the 3rd, but very frustrated if we took him in the first.

Just from all the reports coming out about the Vikings interests in him, I'd be almost shocked if we didn't take him. He had a great college career regardless of the Alabama game. The Alabama game did open your eyes to see that he does have flaws but before that game and the scandal he was considered a Top 10 pick for a reason. I was very high on him in the beginning of the season and I was hoping we could get him because of what he can bring to the team not only on the field but off the field in the locker room. He is a motivator and players are drawn to him and to follow his lead. He wants to be great and wants to prove his haters wrong which is something you can't really teach. So I would be satisfied with taking him in the 1st round.

As for Keenan Allen I was high on him as well until the poor 40. He has a injury history as well so that is starting to scare me.

I know there were reports about how we were at the USC Pro Day and we went to see Robert Woods and we also hung out with him even after the pro day and from what I remember the last WR we did that with was Percy Harvin so it might just be a smokescreen but I think its a legit interest in him.

Dr. Gonzo
04-20-2013, 12:51 AM
I think you are right in that the Vikings will take Te'o. Fills a position of need and may be underrated now. That said I just don't think he can be an effective leader anymore. I have no respect for the guy and I imagine many players feel the same way. He was incredibly overrated when all that top 5 talk was happening and I do question if he will be able to hold up mentally but I trust Speilman.

The_Dude
04-20-2013, 09:09 AM
Allen used to be my top choice, but the apparent slow recovery & slow 40 times have moved him down my wishlist.

I would be fine with drafting Teo. I would prefer to get him in the early 2nd after a trade down. As far as him being a leader in the locker room, i am not really concerned about that need. With guys like Allen & Greenway on the def, we don't really need that from Teo. Now, if we wouldn't have been ******** & cut Winfield, i would have no concerns at all about the leadership role. Hopefully we are smart & re-sign Allen.

I also don't really want the Vikings to be trading up in the 1st round. We have enough needs that we need to actually acquire more picks via trade down. If really are a solid top 50-75 players, let's grab as many of them as we can.

Regardless, i am excited to finally have the draft only a few days away. Pretty exciting to have a couple of 1st round picks. I honestly believe that the Vikings will be trading down from one of those picks.

marshallb
04-20-2013, 06:38 PM
Didn't Allen run a 4.8 or something? Those guys don't work out often, Jerry Rices and Anquan Boldins are few and far between.

It was 4.71 and 4.75, but reports were that the muscles around his knee were only back to around 70%, so I'm not worried about that at all. He looks like a mid 4.5 guy on tape and that is plenty fast enough for a guy like him. If you're worried about anything with him, it should be his slow recovery - which still doesn't bother me - not his speed.

I don't want to see the Vikings trading up unless a guy like Millner or Richardson or someone like that were to fall. I just don't see the difference in value between the guys that are going to go around 10-15 and the guys that will be there at 23, 25, or even 35 for that matter.

Dr. Gonzo
04-20-2013, 06:46 PM
It was 4.71 and 4.75, but reports were that the muscles around his knee were only back to around 70%, so I'm not worried about that at all. He looks like a mid 4.5 guy on tape and that is plenty fast enough for a guy like him. If you're worried about anything with him, it should be his slow recovery - which still doesn't bother me - not his speed.

I don't want to see the Vikings trading up unless a guy like Millner or Richardson or someone like that were to fall. I just don't see the difference in value between the guys that are going to go around 10-15 and the guys that will be there at 23, 25, or even 35 for that matter.

I also don't really want to see the Vikings trade up. If they do I hope it's for a CB and not a WR. I wouldn't mind trading up for a DT but I think a really good one can be had late in the first.

Right now I see holes that need to be filled immediately as WR, CB, DT, MLB. Trading up would make it really tough to fill those holes. Without trading up I think there is a decent chance a good starter can be found in the draft to fill each of those needs.

The_Dude
04-20-2013, 06:51 PM
I think that guard is another position that needs an upgrade. This is why i hope for a trade down to get an opportunity to grab another top 100 pick/player

Bills2083
04-20-2013, 08:33 PM
With the reports that the Vikes are looking to move up, any interest in going to #8? The Bills are desperate to move down with the amount of holes we have, and just 6 picks. I can't see us asking too much, nothing more than like a 2nd rounder and a 3rd?

The_Dude
04-20-2013, 08:35 PM
Still seems spendy to me. I don't even know who the Vikes would be targeting at 8.

Floyd? Star? Warmack? Milliner?

Bills2083
04-20-2013, 08:36 PM
Still seems spendy to me. I don't even know who the Vikes would be targeting at 8.

Would you be opposed to Austin at that point?
And maybe a 2 and a 4? I'm not asking for much (but who am I to say lol). I know the Cowboys gave up a 2 to move from 14 to 6 last year. This would be a bit more (23 to 8). But that was also for Claiborne, the best CB in the draft. This would (presumably) be for Austin, a controversial receiver.

The_Dude
04-20-2013, 09:04 PM
I think that speilman et all feel that jarius wright will fill the harvin role, so we won't draft Austin, much less trade up for him. But what do o know.

Dr. Gonzo
04-20-2013, 09:43 PM
I think that guard is another position that needs an upgrade. This is why i hope for a trade down to get an opportunity to grab another top 100 pick/player

Completely forgot about G. A guy I really like is Eric Herman and he can be had later in the draft.

The_Dude
04-21-2013, 07:11 PM
Ok boys. Assuming that the Vikes are looking to trade up, i think that the most likely partner is the Jets with #9, #13, & looking like they are entering rebuild mode looking for more picks.

What would you be willing to give up to get one of those picks & who do you think (not necessarily want) the Vikings to target with one of those picks?

The Dynasty
04-21-2013, 08:04 PM
Ok boys. Assuming that the Vikes are looking to trade up, i think that the most likely partner is the Jets with #9, #13, & looking like they are entering rebuild mode looking for more picks.

What would you be willing to give up to get one of those picks & who do you think (not necessarily want) the Vikings to target with one of those picks?

It would be at least a 1st and a 2nd to get up to one of those picks and that being said I don't think there really is a player for us there unless its Sheldon Richarson or Star Lotulelei. We already have a slot receiver in Jarius Wright and as for CB, The only one I would like to see us trade up for is Dee Milliner and he should be long gone by 9-13.

I see this talk about us trading up is a smokescreen though. I try to avoid things I hear a week or so before the draft. It usually comes out as a smokescreen. Spielman values picks way to much to give up a 1 and 2 to get up there.

jimmylishis
04-23-2013, 01:35 PM
About all this trading up talk, unless Star lotulelei drops past 10, I don't even want us to consider it. I've heard analysts say that after the top 5 or so, there isn't much of a drop-off in talent all the way through the first round so I would much rather stay put or trade down a few picks.

Just a few thoughts:

Leading up to the draft, I'm liking Justin Hunter more and more and is rumored to be creeping up into the later rounds.

In such a deep receiver class, Keenan Allen has the potential to fall wayy down draft boards with his 40 time. He runs a hell of a lot faster on tape and ran that time with an injury (i read somewhere he said he was 80%). He's still the same guy people were talking about going top 15 during the season. I would love to take a chance on him if he drops.

Despite this deep WR class, I still think we have to take one with one of our firsts. We can't go into next year with Jerome Simpson as our #2. I would be much more comfortable with Hopkins or Hunter being in that role than with Woods or Terrance Williams.

DJ Hayden is going to be a stud and could potentially fit into our system, he's a better tackler than he is given credit for. I think he could be the lockdown corner that we need in a division with Megatron, Rodgers, Marshall, etc.

I'm going to punt a kitten if we draft Patterson.

G is a way bigger need than most of us are alluding to.

Even the top guards usually drop into the late 1st even when the media has them higher (DeCastro, Watkins). It's unlikely that Warmack falls to us, but I think Cooper probably will, I would love to see him with one of our firsts.

Kyle Long would be unreal in the 2nd if he makes it that far...

Not sure how I feel abou Te'o but we are almost definitely going to take him (we better not trade up for him).

Safety is another need that no one seems to be mentioning. (Wouldn't hate a trade up for Vaccaro if he slips a bit as long as we don't give up too much)

I'm warming up to the idea of Tyrann Mathieu

I think with the DE situation next year, we should take a flyer on a high risk high reward type guy in the later rounds. If he works out, great, if not we take one early next year, but it could potentially save us a position of need next year.

FuzzyGopher
04-23-2013, 11:06 PM
Guys I like in the first: Sheldon Richardson, Xavier Rhodes, Desmond Trufant, Manti Te'o, DJ Hayden. We could really shore up our D with these picks. Our offense will continue to be **** though.

Not too crazy about a receiver in the first even though we desperately need help there, I think there will be a guy in the second that can help us out (Woods, Hunter?).

Dr. Gonzo
04-24-2013, 09:55 AM
I am starting to come around to taking a WR in the second. I still don't want Te'o in the first but MLB is a big need. As much as I would love Richardson or Sylvester Williams I think MLB is addressed before DT. I think CB is next to a lock to be addressed with one of our firsts. I am hoping we end up with one of Trufant and Hayden.

princefielder28
04-24-2013, 10:06 AM
I am starting to come around to taking a WR in the second. I still don't want Te'o in the first but MLB is a big need. As much as I would love Richardson or Sylvester Williams I think MLB is addressed before DT. I think CB is next to a lock to be addressed with one of our firsts. I am hoping we end up with one of Trufant and Hayden.

Most of the defensive line will be free agents after next season, and having a good line is the catalyst to having a good defense. I'll surprised if one of the first round picks isn't used on the defensive line, and I don't see them using a first rounder on a middle backer. After showing a willingness to plug a player like Brinkley in as a starter, the team has Henderson and Cole currently on the roster to compete and a middle round pick could be brought in as competition.

Dr. Gonzo
04-24-2013, 10:27 AM
Most of the defensive line will be free agents after next season, and having a good line is the catalyst to having a good defense. I'll surprised if one of the first round picks isn't used on the defensive line, and I don't see them using a first rounder on a middle backer. After showing a willingness to plug a player like Brinkley in as a starter, the team has Henderson and Cole currently on the roster to compete and a middle round pick could be brought in as competition.

I would love to see Cole get a chance after the incredible preseason he had last year. I still do worry that Te'o is picked with one of the first though. I would be so very happy if the two firsts are used on DT and CB. I hope you end up being right.

princefielder28
04-24-2013, 10:31 AM
I would love to see Cole get a chance after the incredible preseason he had last year. I still do worry that Te'o is picked with one of the first though. I would be so very happy if the two firsts are used on DT and CB. I hope you end up being right.

I really liked Cole as a prospect as was stunned when he fell all the way to the 7th round last year. He's a smart, physical player who seems to fit the mold of what Frazier likes in his middle backers and I'd be willing to bet that he'll get a chance to prove himself this next season before they think about investing such a high pick at the position.

hagy34
04-24-2013, 11:18 PM
The Vikings are not trading up. There is no chance of that happening.

marshallb
04-25-2013, 10:44 AM
John Clayton
‏@ClaytonESPN
If there is a way, the Minnesota Vikings would like to find a way to take Manti Te'o in first round.

Ian Rapoport
‏@RapSheet
The #Vikings and #Bears love Manti Te'o. If Minnesota wants to grab him, they'll need to jump up over Chicago. That's what they plan to do

Do you guys think the interest on both team's parts is real or smokescreen? I know a lot of fans here would hate the pick, but I'd be very happy with it, wouldn't dig trading up, but depending on the price, I'd still be happy with it.

The more and more I think about it, though, the more I want Arthur Brown and Xavier Rhodes with 23 and 25.

princefielder28
04-25-2013, 10:45 AM
I wouldn't buy the majority of rumors today.

The Dynasty
04-25-2013, 10:49 AM
I wouldn't buy the majority of rumors today.

Yeah I have been trying to avoid the majority of rumors the past week. I think this is a smokescreen by the Bears trying to make the Vikings trade up to get a player.

jimmylishis
04-25-2013, 11:01 AM
I wouldn't be worried about the rumors if it didn't sound so much like something we would do... I've kind of been forcing myself to warm up to the idea of Te'o for a while now. I didn't really like harrison smith at the time either, but we all know how that turned out.

BuckNaked
04-25-2013, 01:05 PM
I would despise a trade-up for Te'o. I'm making myself become content with taking Te'o at 25 as it is. Now if we traded down for Te'o with perhaps ATL or SF, maybe I could get on board with something like that.

Vikings4ever
04-25-2013, 01:24 PM
I don't want to trade up for anyone. We've got serious holes, and this is a draft with depth, not stars. If we can trade down and get who we want, great. If stay where we are, that's fine too.

The Dynasty
04-27-2013, 04:34 PM
6.189 - Jeff Baca, OG, UCLA

http://www.trbimg.com/img-505fd39f/turbine/la-sp-0924-ucla-football-20120924-001/600

Just here to toot my own horn but I got the correct pick and in the correct round haha. Talk about luck. Last year I got Rhett Ellison correct but I had him in the 7th, not the 4th.

General Zod
04-27-2013, 04:54 PM
I like the Michael Mauti pick here. A lot of people had him rated higher then a 7th rounder.

Vikings4ever
04-27-2013, 11:27 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/vikings/2013/04/27/vikings-north-carolina-offensive-lineman-travis-bond-hit-by-truck/2117771/

It's often said a football player is so physical he hits like a truck.

Travis Bond will be the judge of that.

The former North Carolina offensive lineman, who was drafted by the Minnesota Vikings in the seventh round Saturday, impressed teams with his size (6-6, 329 pounds) and surprisingly good workouts this spring.

Yet nothing has been wowing team scouts, doctors and trainers more than the story behind a wrist injury he suffered last year. Bond was hit by an SUV. And he got right back up.

The Dynasty
04-27-2013, 11:39 PM
Here is a list of some of the UDFAs the vikings signed.

• Furman tight end Colin Anderson
• North Carolina State safety Brandan Bishop
• Penn offensive lineman Joe Bonadies
• Eastern Washington receiver Nicholas Edwards
• Georgia Southern linebacker Darius Eubanks
• North Carolina receiver Erik Highsmith
• Portland State end Marquis Jackson
• Southern Methodist fullback Zach Line
• Fresno State running back Robbie Rouse
• Winona State running back Rayon Simmons
• Florida State receiver Rodney Smith
• Kentucky end Collins Ukwu
• Iowa quarterback James Vandenberg
• North Carolina State linebacker Camden Wentz
• Furman running back Jerodis Williams
• Ohio State end Nathan Williams

the_legend_killer
04-28-2013, 11:33 AM
Overall I'm happy with the Vikings draft. Addressed three of their four major needs in a big way early on. Grabbed a few LB's later on, maybe one can be something.