PDA

View Full Version : An entirely too early 2013 mock.

Bixby (Thumper)
04-30-2012, 07:20 AM
#1 - St. Louis Rams - Logan Thomas QB Virginia Tech
The Rams offense bottoms out. No protection or weapons for Bradford who struggles with an awful supporting cast while learning his third offense in three years. Fisher and Snead decide they want their guy. Thomas has a great arm and he can really drive the ball. Great size. Great mobility. Cam Newton clone.

#2 - Miami Dolphins - Robert Woods WR USC
The Dolphins have no weapons on the outside so they add Woods whose quickness and speed are just stellar.

#3 - Oakland Raiders - Tyler Wilson QB Arkansas
The Raiders struggle in their first year under new coaching and management and they decide that they need a young guy at QB. Wilson is a gun slinger at QB with some really good improvisational ability. He can do it all with the football and he has a winning mentality.

#4 - Jacksonville Jaguars - Xavier Rhodes CB Florida State
Jaguars need a corner and Rhodes is a stud. Fantastic size, great in press coverage, fluid, physical and good speed. Like a young Nnamdi. Did a good job against Michael Floyd in the bowl game before he got hurt.

#5 - Minnesota Vikings - Eric Reid S LSU
The Vikings defense needs playmakers, especially in the secondary. Eric Reid is an absolute stud at safety who can do it all. He showcases strong tackling in run support and really good range in coverage. He's the best safety prospect in quite some time, more athletic than Mark Barron last year.

#6 - St. Louis Rams (via Washington) - Keenan Allen WR Cal
The Rams give Logan Thomas a new toy. Allen can do it all on the football field, he has the size (6'3" 205), he has great hands, he has speed and he has DeSean Jackson like ability in the open field. He'd probably be more highly regarded than Woods if he wasn't playing with Zach Maynard.

#7 - Cleveland Browns - Sam Montgomery DE LSU
The Browns get screwed over when the Rams take Allen and they're forced to opt for the best 4-3 defensive end on the board.

#8 - Cincinnati Bengals - Alec Ogletree LB Georgia
The Bengals shore up the middle of their defense with Ogletree. When healthy last year, Ogletree played amazingly. In the 7 games he played (left extremely early in game 1), Alec put up 52 tackles, 8 TFL, 3 sacks, 2 passes defensed and 2 forced fumbles. He'll be 6'3" and 240 pounds and he's really athletic too. Ogletree is a stud and his stock will soar this season if healthy. True all around middle linebacker.

#9 - Indianapolis Colts - Jarvis Jones LB Georgia
2012 was for offense, 2013 is for defense. Jones is a great pass rusher but he's likely limited to a 3-4 OLB spot so he slips a little bit. He's super fast and agile and he knows how the get after the passer.

#10 - Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Dee Milliner CB Alabama
Milliner is going to come on like gangbusters this year when he steps out of Kirkpatrick's shadow. Former #1 recruit with great size and speed. Fantastic ability.

#11 - Tennessee Titans - Barkevious Mingo DE LSU
The Titans desperately need a pass rusher and Mingo is a freak athlete off the edge who needs some added polish before he can develop into a real stud.

#12 - San Diego Chargers - Johnthan Banks CB Mississippi State
Jammer is old and Cason is average. Banks is big and fast with good ball skills.

#13 - Denver Broncos - Jonathan Hankins DT Ohio State
The Broncos have a gaping hole down the middle of their defense and Hankins is a stud at defensive tackle with fantastic size and athletic ability. He'll help shore up the Bronco's defensive line.

#14 - Arizona Cardinals - Geno Smith QB West Virginia
The Cardinals aren't winning anything with Kolb and Skelton barring miraculous circumstances. Smith is a really underrated prospect at this point who I think will be more highly regarded this time next year. He's got good size, great pocket presence, good eye level, a good arm and he can run with it too. And he's a really hard worker too.

#15 - New Orleans Saints - Devin Taylor DE South Carolina
Will Smith isn't going to cut it all by himself.

#16 - New York Giants - Taylor Lewan OT Michigan
Giants don't keep pace with the Eagles and Cowboys and they miss the playoffs after a nice (albeit lucky) run in the playoffs last year. After watching their offensive tackles struggle to match the pass rushes that reside in the NFC east they decide it might be a good idea to invest in an offensive tackle not named David Diehl. Lewan is a long, physical and fundamentally sound prospect with good athletic ability. Could be in for a big rise.

#17 - Atlanta Falcons - Star Lotuleilei DT Utah
The middle of the Falcons defense is soft. They've got no defensive tackles of note and Curtis Lofton skipped town. Lotuleilei helps solve this problem. He's got rare brute strength and size coupled with impressive athletic ability. He's got all of the tools to be a great defensive tackle.

#18 - San Francisco 49ers - TJ McDonald S USC
The 49ers offense struggles and they miss the playoffs but Harbaugh can't justify passing on McDonald. Great size, great range, physical in the box, can play press coverage and he hits like a freight train. Could be the best USC DB since Troy P.

#19 - Pittsburgh Steelers - Jonathan Jenkins NT Georgia
The Steelers defense doesn't have its usual showing as it begins to age and the Steelers miss the playoffs. Tomlin and company start the rebuilding effort in the trenches with Jenkins, an enormous nose tackle who can eat up space in the run game but also flashes the ability to collapse the pocket. Stud NT who anchors one of the best defenses in college football.

#20 - Detroit Lions - David Amerson CB North Carolina State
The Lions need a corner and they draft Amerson. Amerson has good length at 6'1" and he has incredible ball skills but I question his physicality and his speed/quickness too. I think he needs to go to a team that runs a lot of zone coverage.

#21 - New York Jets - Stansly Maponga DE/LB TCU
The Jets make it back to the playoffs with their scrappy offense and dominant defense. But as good as their defense is, they're missing one piece: a dominant pass rusher at outside linebacker. A good one could make their defense transcendent IMO. Maponga wreaked havoc at TCU and he showcases the ability to consistently create pressure and change games.

#22 - Dallas Cowboys - Chance Warmack G Alabama
The Cowboys have almost completely ignored the interior of their offensive line and its going to kill them down the line this season. Warmack is built like a truck and he consistently creates movement in the run game and locks down defensive tackles in pass protection. He would solve their RG problems quickly.

#23 - New England Patriots - Robert Lester S Alabama
The Patriots pass defense struggles again and Bill B goes to the Alabama well once more and grabs a plug and play safety in Robert Lester. Lester is more rangy than Mark Barron and he's more of a playmaker in coverage.

#24 - Carolina Panthers - Oday Aboushi OT Virginia
Jordan Gross is getting older and the Panthers have no confidence in Jeff Otah so they draft Aboushi out of the offensive tackle factor that is the University of Virginia.

#25 - Seattle Seahawks - Manti Te'o LB Notre Dame
Overrated player whose reputation precedes him. Te'o is big and fast but he lacks good agility and he misses a lot of tackles in space because he can't readjust and make plays when his shoulders aren't squared up. He's smart. He's a good player but he's not the super stud he's made out to be.

#26 - Buffalo Bills - Bacarri Rambo S Georgia
The Bills really invested in their defense this year and it pays dividends as they make the playoffs and win the AFC East. They were rumored to be interested in Mark Barron so they draft Rambo in 2013. Rambo is a nicely sized, rangy safety with good ball skills and he can be a difference maker in coverage. Could tackle better though.

#27 - Kansas City Chiefs - Mike Glennon QB North Carolina State
The Chiefs make a run but they fall short when they can't put points on the board with other teams like the Texans. They see this and make it a point to upgrade Matt Cassell. They draft Glennon, a 6'6" classic pocket passer with a heck of an arm. Glennon could really rise up the boards this year. Joe Flacco like.

#28 - Green Bay Packers - Knile Davis RB Arkansas
The Packers running game struggles again this year so they invest in Knile Davis, a height-weight-speed prospect, slasher type running back who is a load to handle coming down hill.

#29 - Chicago Bears - William Gholston DE Michigan State
The Bears are a scrappy team that plays really well with Jay Cutler. I expect them to make great strides this year with the additions of Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffery. They finally have the weapons on offense and their defense is as good as ever. The Bears add Gholston late in round one to add a third pass rusher to compliment Peppers and Shea McClellin. Gholston and Chandler Jones are really similar in my mind.

#30 - Houston Texans - Kenny Stills WR Oklahoma
The Texans need a threat opposite Andre Johnson and they get it with Kenny Stills. Stills is a speedy deep threat with 4.36 speed and he can make some crazy catches. But what makes him a perfect fit for the Texans is his blocking, he searches for people to hit and he's a really underrated back side blocker.

#31 - Baltimore Ravens - Shayne Skov LB Stanford
I was so disappointed when Skov tore his ACL because I really enjoyed watching him play. He's so relentless and ferocious. Good instincts. Good blitzer. Great tackler. Smart. Aggressive. He should be Ray Lewis' replacement and if healthy, he should not be on the board this late.

#32 - Philadelphia Eagles - Keith Price QB Washington
-I really, really like Keith Price. He's short at about 6'1" but he can really throw the ball. He's got great velocity, accuracy and touch. Its like his passes kiss the hands of receivers. He's tough. He's gutsy. He can move and create with his feet. He's elusive. Price is a gamer. And he's coached by one of the best in the game in Coach Sark. One of my favorites. He'll be Vick's successor.

Notable Absences:
-Tyler Bray goes back to school
-Matt Barkley suffers a Brian Brohm-like fall. Mediocre tools and Lane Kiffin offense.
-Lattimore has a ton of wear and tear and he's not quite the same after his torn ACL.
-Tyrann Mathieu is one of the most overrated players I can remember. He's a good blitzer, punt returner and he makes plays but he's actually pretty average in coverage and teams can pick on him. Can't ever be used as a traditional corner, I think he'd be best served to move to safety.

Rip it to shreds.

derza222
04-30-2012, 08:13 AM
There's no question OLB is a need spot for the Jets and I'll kind of be pleasantly surprised if they make the playoffs, so this works for me.

Interesting write up in general too, I'll need to go back and watch some of these guys.

scar988
04-30-2012, 08:24 AM
wow. still no credit for Jonathan Babineaux or Corey Peters... who are actually good.

wicket
04-30-2012, 08:34 AM
did you already write off cameron jordan?

SolidGold
04-30-2012, 09:11 AM
LOL @ Barkley rationale. He would of challenged Griffin this year for the second QB off the board - totally different prospect than Brohm. The Lane Kiffin offense you attribute his success to his a pro-style offense so not sure how that would be a negative considering he is going to the PROS.

vidae
04-30-2012, 09:23 AM
Great KC pick and I'm pretty happy with where they're picking, so yay.

T-RICH49
04-30-2012, 09:41 AM
I so disagree on Matt Barkley.If he's there at 27 he HAS to be the pick

brat316
04-30-2012, 09:49 AM
Mathieu a safety at 5'9? Maybe 5'8.

K Train
04-30-2012, 10:05 AM
#19 - Pittsburgh Steelers - Jonathan Jenkins NT Georgia
The Steelers defense doesn't have its usual showing as it begins to age and the Steelers miss the playoffs. Tomlin and company start the rebuilding effort in the trenches with Jenkins, an enormous nose tackle who can eat up space in the run game but also flashes the ability to collapse the pocket. Stud NT who anchors one of the best defenses in college football.

shows its age with aaron smith, james farrior, and casey hampton all gone? So the first round picks of evander hood and cameron heyward and just picking up taamu to replace casey, plus all young corners in curtis brown, cortez allen, keenan lewis (one of which will probably play FS, probably allen) and young LBs in timmons and woodley....your position selection and reasoning are all wrong...the only position that will need to be addressed next year on defense is safety since troy is old and clark is old and sucks, and maybe MLB since its a stud MLB class

brat316
04-30-2012, 10:12 AM
shows its age with aaron smith, james farrior, and casey hampton all gone? So the first round picks of evander hood and cameron heyward and just picking up taamu to replace casey, plus all young corners in curtis brown, cortez allen, keenan lewis (one of which will probably play FS, probably allen) and young LBs in timmons and woodley....your position selection and reasoning are all wrong...the only position that will need to be addressed next year on defense is safety since troy is old and clark is old and sucks, and maybe MLB since its a stud MLB class

Yeah the D-line is already pretty well built, not including the NT which since we just drafted a rookie we'll leave it a ?.

Idk I still feel like Slyester will get the job done, if he doesn't MLB could be high on the list next year, but we always try and draft a position 1 year ahead.

OLB I think will be a big need, Harrison will be cut before next season starts, or salary reduced dramatically.

Safety is up there as well, and OT.

Bulldogs
04-30-2012, 10:26 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the 1st rounder to Cinci this year from Oakland was conditional on whether or not they made the playoffs. If they didn't it would be a 2nd rounder.

TimmG6376
04-30-2012, 11:13 AM
You are much higher on Logan Thomas than I am. He sure looks the part. Has the tools, but in games I've seen there is just something missing. He could make strides this year though and you never know what can happen in the draft process.

Bixby (Thumper)
04-30-2012, 04:38 PM
did you already write off cameron jordan?

No. Are you counting on him to become a big time pass rusher? I'm not.

Pat Sims 90
04-30-2012, 04:42 PM
The Bengals won't get the Raiders 1st Round pick unless they make AFC Championship if not then it is a 2nd Round.

Bixby (Thumper)
04-30-2012, 04:43 PM
The Bengals won't get the Raiders 1st Round pick unless they make AFC Championship if not then it is a 2nd Round.

I see... Changing that now. Thanks.

Bixby (Thumper)
04-30-2012, 04:57 PM
Mathieu a safety at 5'9? Maybe 5'8.

Are you saying he's too short for safety? Troy Polamalu is 5'10" and Bob Sanders was 5'8".

Bixby (Thumper)
04-30-2012, 05:06 PM
LOL @ Barkley rationale. He would of challenged Griffin this year for the second QB off the board - totally different prospect than Brohm. The Lane Kiffin offense you attribute his success to his a pro-style offense so not sure how that would be a negative considering he is going to the PROS.

LOL @ pro-style offense. There is no such thing as pro-style offense in college football. Similar concepts sure but everything is dumbed down and simplified at the college level and every single QB is given easy reads (some more than others). And maybe he would've challenged RGIII to become the second QB off the board, who knows but I think it would've been a bad decision. He'll go high unless he completely bombs this season but I don't think he should.

phlysac
04-30-2012, 05:55 PM
Are you saying he's too short for safety? Troy Polamalu is 5'10" and Bob Sanders was 5'8".

Polamalu and Sanders are considered "small" for safeties. They weigh roughly 210 lbs.

Mathieu weighs 175.

Bixby (Thumper)
04-30-2012, 06:06 PM
Polamalu and Sanders are considered "small" for safeties. They weigh roughly 210 lbs.

Mathieu weighs 175.

He was talking about height, short players have been successful at safety before. Obviously he'd need to add weight.

cmd34
04-30-2012, 07:36 PM
I know it's early so kudos for putting together a mock.

that being said, hate the Cowboys pick and think your take is dead wrong on Barkley.

phlysac
04-30-2012, 08:15 PM
He was talking about height, short players have been successful at safety before. Obviously he'd need to add weight.

True, but people that are 5'8" don' t add an athletic 35lbs very easily

BuckeyeDan17
04-30-2012, 10:42 PM
The fact you've the Cleveland Clowns (that's what we are now because of this past draft, and like 4 seasons) picking all the way down at 7 is overly benevolent. We're picking #1 in '13.

thebow305
05-01-2012, 08:36 AM
Love the pick for Miami. And there are tons of pro-style offenses in college. Stanford runs one. Its one of the reasons Luck went so high, and why people think hes so NFL-ready right now. Do you even watch college football?

mqtirishfan
05-01-2012, 04:12 PM
It's not that bad of a pick, especially with the value, but I'd piss myself if the Bears drafted another DE, considering by next year I'd put money on the Bears realizing how awful their OL is.

TheBoyWonder22
05-01-2012, 04:31 PM
I just don't see how Woods has a season where he is deserving of the number 2 pick and Barkley drops from the first. No freaking way.

Bixby (Thumper)
05-01-2012, 05:31 PM
Love the pick for Miami. And there are tons of pro-style offenses in college. Stanford runs one. Its one of the reasons Luck went so high, and why people think hes so NFL-ready right now. Do you even watch college football?

Pro-style concepts, sure but everything at the college level is simplified. Going against simpler defenses, making simpler reads, less responsibility and every scheme is designed to get the ball to your playmakers in space to some degree. Its not the same and no college offense is 100% projectable to the next level.

BillySims
05-02-2012, 10:55 PM
#20 - Detroit Lions - David Amerson CB North Carolina State
The Lions need a corner and they draft Amerson. Amerson has good length at 6'1" and he has incredible ball skills but I question his physicality and his speed/quickness too. I think he needs to go to a team that runs a lot of zone coverage.

So you have a team that plays man 2 man draft him? Do you think that Matt Millen is still in charge or something?

ArkyRamsFan
05-07-2012, 05:31 PM
[QUOTE=Bixby;2979020]#1 - St. Louis Rams - Logan Thomas QB Virginia Tech
The Rams offense bottoms out. No protection or weapons for Bradford who struggles with an awful supporting cast while learning his third offense in three years. Fisher and Snead decide they want their guy. Thomas has a great arm and he can really drive the ball. Great size. Great mobility. Cam Newton clone.

Umm.... Bradford is destroyed because the Rams have no protection or weapons so they go out and get another QB so he can get crushed also?

Brilliant...

D-Unit
05-07-2012, 08:06 PM
Cowboys pass on Matt Barkley for Chance Warmack. We don't even need a QB here, but this one would be hard to believe. Very hard to believe.

Besides, OG isn't the issue. OC is. Things may change, but right now the concern is at OC more than OG. Just fyi. Otherwise, interesting mock Bix.

eaglesalltheway
05-08-2012, 09:53 AM
Cowboys pass on Matt Barkley for Chance Warmack. We don't even need a QB here, but this one would be hard to believe. Very hard to believe.

Besides, OG isn't the issue. OC is. Things may change, but right now the concern is at OC more than OG. Just fyi. Otherwise, interesting mock Bix.

I hope the Cowboys draft Barkley next year. I really do. If that were the case, I almost wouldn't care what the Eagles do the rest of the draft. Yes I am serious. Barkley is going to be a player of contention in this draft, I see it already. There are going to be people that love him because he puts up good numbers, and there are going to be people who look at his surrounding cast (weapons and blockers), his height, throwing motion, and decision-making, and hate him. If he can improve on his reads he will do fine.

I personally think Barkley is a poor man's Matt Ryan in that neither have elite tools (adequate), but Ryan, at this point in his college career, was a little further ahead in his game mentally. Consider me not a huge fan of Barkley. But considering grandpa Weeden just went 22 overall, nowhere Barkley goes will surprise me. All you need is one team to like you. I personally feel, at this point, an early pick on Barkley will get you lackluster returns, but perhaps he will show some further development that will make me believe in him as a top 10 overall type talent.

As the for Eagles pick.... Yuck, If the Eagles win the Superbowl like you have here (please stop trying to jinx them, lol), there is no way in hell they take a QB. Reid's job will be secure, as would Vick's. And considering how Eagles value their QBs, you really think they'd draft one first round after going third round this year with Foles, while Vick and Kafka are still on the roster? Its just not logical, at all. I'm pretty sure you're an Eagles fan (of course you are, you have us winning the Superbowl, duh on me), you should know our needs better than this. At this point, the only first round picks that we should be seeing on these mocks this early are Safety (SS moreso than FS, IMO), press-man CBs, and athletic OTs. To fit into Mudd's scheme.

villagewarrior
05-09-2012, 09:07 AM
I'll have to study Glen on before commenting on the player. Love the position for the Chiefs and I hope they actually go get a signal caller, but, I think its more realistic the Chiefs go pass rusher, defensive lineman, or wide receiver.

Y2Jimmy0
05-10-2012, 01:32 PM
Thanks for attempting a mock this early. But I laughed as soon as I scrolled down and saw #32 Philadelphia. Not a chance. With Vick? Really? They should have a pretty awesome defense but we will not be seeing Michael Vick-Super Bowl Champion ever, I am pretty sure.

Knicks and Bucs
05-10-2012, 04:02 PM
I doubt Milliner is a top ten pick. Lot of drafts have him as a 2nd rounder. There are much better corners at that spot, but you have the right position so props there.

Now, if the bucs do pick in the top ten then I would have to say QB should be targeted. If they pick top ten that means Josh Freeman has failed. There is no reason for him to struggle with that line and offensive additions. Maybe a Landry Jones or an Aaron Murray could go there and get Milliner in the 2nd.

jayceheathman
05-10-2012, 07:30 PM
I would love the Kenny Stills pick for Houston.

RCAChainGang
05-10-2012, 10:14 PM
Excellent pick for the Colts.

Bixby (Thumper)
05-11-2012, 02:17 AM
Thanks for attempting a mock this early. But I laughed as soon as I scrolled down and saw #32 Philadelphia. Not a chance. With Vick? Really? They should have a pretty awesome defense but we will not be seeing Michael Vick-Super Bowl Champion ever, I am pretty sure.

Hey, it's the offseason. Gotta have hope, right?

Bixby (Thumper)
05-11-2012, 02:20 AM
Umm.... Bradford is destroyed because the Rams have no protection or weapons so they go out and get another QB so he can get crushed also?

Brilliant...

I think the Rams will find that Bradford isn't the sort of QB who can carry a team. He'll prove no better this year than he did the last two. Fisher and Snead are going to see this and get "their guy". You have to start with a franchise passer and Bradford isn't one, Logan Thomas might be.

ArkyRamsFan
05-11-2012, 11:35 AM
I think the Rams will find that Bradford isn't the sort of QB who can carry a team. He'll prove no better this year than he did the last two. Fisher and Snead are going to see this and get "their guy". You have to start with a franchise passer and Bradford isn't one, Logan Thomas might be.

Sam Bradford was one of the major reasons Fisher took the Rams job over others like Miami. Also, Fishnead (Fisher and Snead) had multiple offers to trade Brads before this last draft and rejected all overtures. This included teams like Cleveland who definitely had sufficient ammunition to get the deal done.

As far as Sam being a "franchise passer" only time will tell. I, however, remain optimistic that he will develop into just that.

BTW for the record Brads had a very good rookie year and even won the OROY that year. For him to continue his development the entire team along with Sam himself has got to do play better.

Heh..I seriously doubt Rodgers or Brady could have done much with the junk that surrounded Sam last year...