PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Mock Draft V 1.0

jrdrylie
04-30-2012, 11:32 AM
1. Cleveland Browns- WR Robert Woods USC: I think the Brandon Weeden experiment is going to be a disaster. The Browns SHOULD use this pick on a QB. More likely, they'll trade out of this spot with somebody trying to get a QB. But if they are really moving forward with Weeden as their QB, they'll need to surround him with legitimate targets.

2. Jacksonville Jaguars- QB Tyler Wilson Arkansas: After watching every Jaguar game last year, I saw maybe three or four plays where I said "Hey, this Gabbert guy might turn into a solid pro." That's it. They brought in a couple of receivers, but they'll be wasted without a real QB. Most have Barkley as the top QB available, but I'm more of a fan of Wilson.

3. Tampa Bay Buccaneers- QB Matt Barkley USC: I know there are a ton of Freeman fan boys on this site. But the truth it he has had two bad seasons and one good season. I expect next year to be another bad season. Picking this high, the Bucs have to move on.

4. Arizona Cardinals- QB Tyler Bray Tennessee: The combination of Kolb and Skelton is just going to be terrible, not matter how good the receivers are. Luckily, 2013 looks to be a very solid QB class and the Cardinals may be in line to get one of the elite QBs.

5. Kansas City Chiefs- CB Zavier Rhodes Florida State: The Chiefs are going to stink. Unfortunately, they just miss out on the top QBs. Would they reach on one, trade out, or just take the top player on the board? This is a bad spot to be in for Kansas City.

6. St. Louis Rams (from Washington)- OT DJ Fluker Alabama: St. Louis is a pretty good job improving their roster during the 2012 draft. Bradford's protection still needs to be upgraded, but Coach Fisher's love of running the ball should help there. Fluker can come in as the replacement of disappointing Jason Smith.

7. Minnesota Vikings- WR Keenan Allen California: I don't think Minnesota will be the 7th worst team in the league but the rest of the division is so good, getting more than one win will be difficult. In the 2012 Draft, the Vikings did a great job addressing their weaknesses (tackle, secondary) but they still don't have much opposite Percy Harvin.

8. Indianapolis Colts- OLB Devin Taylor South Carolina: The Colts focused on surrounding Andrew Luck with weapons in the 2012 Draft, grabbing two tight ends and a receiver. Unfortunately, that leaves the defense lacking in talent.

9. St. Louis Rams- RB Marcus Lattimore South Carolina: As I stated earlier, Jeff Fisher loves to run. And I know the Rams spent a second round pick on Pead in the 2012 Draft, but Steven Jackson has a ton of miles on his legs. He will start slowing down soon, maybe even this year.

10. New York Jets- OLB Brandon Jenkins Florida State: The Jets are too talented to be drafting in the top-ten. But this Tim Tebow experiment is going to be a disaster. Don't be surprised if this pick is used on a Quarterback if Rex Ryan gets the boot.

11. New Orleans Saints- OLB Jarvis Jones Georgia: The 2012 season for the Saints is going to be ugly, especially if Drew Brees holds out. But it will allow them to add a top-ten talent to an already talented team.

12. Seattle Seahawks- WR Justin Hunter Tennessee: Being successful in Seattle is going to be difficult for Matt Flynn when the receiving corps is so average. The Seahawks really need to use the 2013 offseason to improve in this area.

13. Cincinnati Bengals- S Robert Lester Alabama: The Bengals are my candidate for step back team in 2012. I don't know if Dalton is going to get much better than what he was last year, I don't trust Marvin Lewis as a coach, and the running game isn't anything to write home about. Outside of Reggie Nelson (who isn't great to begin with), there isn't much talent at safety.

14. Philadelphia Eagles- OT Jake Matthews Texas A&M: Nearly ever year, the Eagles use a high pick on somebody fat. In 2012, they drafted a defensive tackle and a defensive end high. So in 2013, it's likely they'll use their first round pick on the other side of the line.

15. Cincinnati Bengals (from Oakland)- DE Sam Montgomery LSU: There isn't a huge need at defensive end for the Bengal, but the value here is too good to pass up. Running back is also an option, but I'm not sure who fits here.

16. Miami Dolphins- WR Marquess Wilson Washington State: With the trade of Brandon Marshall, the Dolphins now have one of the worst group of receivers in the league. If Ryan Tannehill is going to have a chance to be successful, the Dolphins have to surround him with better weapons.

17. San Diego Chargers- DT Johnathon Hankins Ohio State: The Chargers did a solid job addressing the holes in the defense in the 2012 draft but there is still room for upgrade at nose tackle. Luckily, they should be able to get the top NT in the draft.

18. Tennessee Titans- CB David Amerson NC State: Finnegan is gone and the Titans didn't not address the position until round four in 2012. They will have to use a high pick on a corner in 2013.

19. Carolina Panthers- DT Kawaan Short Purdue: The Panthers should challenge for a playoff spot this year so they have the luxury of going best player available. Defensive tackle is also a point of weakness on the defense.

20. New York Giants- LB Manti Te'o Notre Dame: I don't like having the defensing Super Bowl Champions missing the playoffs. But they barely made it last year, their schedule will be more difficult, and I think all the teams in the division are improved. Like usual, the Giants will likely go BPA.

21. Buffalo Bills- OLB Jelani Jenkins Florida: I really like what Buffalo did this offseason. Despite Ryan Fitzpatrick not being a great QB, he's good enough to allow them to possibly make the playoffs. A few more talented players and they may even be able to start challenging New England for the division.

22. San Francisco 49ers- OLB Barkevious Mingo LSU: I think the 49ers take a step back this season. Luckily, I don't think anyone in their division will be good enough to overcome them. Depending on how Kaepernick progresses, this pick very well could be spent on a QB.

23. Pittsburgh Steelers- S TJ McDonald USC: Just like every year, there will be some player that inexplicably drops to where Pittsburgh is drafting. In 2013, I'm projecting it to be McDonald. He may not start right away, but when Polamalu goes down to injury, McDonald will be ready to step in.

24. Detroit Lions- DE William Gholston Michigan State: Cliff Avril got the franchise tag this year and KVB is getting up there in years so defensive end is definitely be a big need in 2013.

25. Houston Texans- TE Tyler Eifert Notre Dame: The Texans were rumored to be interested in a tight end in the 2012 draft. They decided to go other routes, but with Owen Daniels' injury history, they can not continue to do so.

26. Green Bay Packers- LB Alec Ogletree Georgia: The Packers spent a few early picks on the defense in hopes to improve the worst defense in the league. It should help, but they will need to continue to address that side of the ball in 2013.

27. Atlanta Falcons- DE Alex Okafor Texas: Ray Edwards is an overpaid bum and John Abraham could retire any day now. The Falcons have to address the defensive line early and often in 2013.

28. New England Patriots- CB Tyrann Mathieu LSU: I personally think Mathieu is vastly overrated. Most of his hype comes from his nickname. But I think some team will use a first round pick on him in 2013, so why not New England?

29. Chicago Bears- CB Johnthan Banks Mississippi State: The Bears waited a lot longer than I expected to address their corner deficiency. Playing against Stafford and Rodgers, I hope it doesn't hinder them too badly. But seriously, who the hell spells their name Johnthan?

30. Denver Broncos- LB CJ Mosley Alabama: I think Peyton Manning makes this team much better, but I don't think they'll win it all year one. The offense looks solid so the mission in 2013 will be to continue to improve the defense that carried Tim Tebow for three quarters every week in 2011.

31. Dallas Cowboys- S Bacarri Rambo Georgia: Had Caliborne actually been drafted by the Vikings, the Cowboys likely would have traded up for Mark Barron, so we know safety is an issue. The 2013 safety class looks a bit better so they should be able to address that spot despite drafting much later.

32. Baltimore Ravens- OT Taylor Lewan Michigan: The Ravens definitely need an upgrade to Bryant McKinnie at left tackle. It might be difficult to do this late in the draft though.

killxswitch
04-30-2012, 12:14 PM
I think Taylor's best option would be to get stronger this offseason and really work on anchoring. He is almost 6'8. He would be a gangly mess trying to play OLB IMO. Calais Campbell has proven that tall guys can play defense but he doesn't have to drop into coverage much.

jrdrylie
04-30-2012, 12:21 PM
I think Taylor's best option would be to get stronger this offseason and really work on anchoring. He is almost 6'8. He would be a gangly mess trying to play OLB IMO. Calais Campbell has proven that tall guys can play defense but he doesn't have to drop into coverage much.

Taylor is 6'8? Holy ****, I didn't realize that. I must have not paid enough attention to him last year. You are correct, being 6'8 does not bode well fro playing linebacker. But you guys have a need at defensive end too, so if he gets bigger, the pick could work.

villagewarrior
04-30-2012, 12:27 PM
I seriously doubt the Chiefs are picking top 5 next year, but if they are they must trade up and address the quarterback position.

mightytitan9
04-30-2012, 12:35 PM
Taylor is 6'8? Holy ****, I didn't realize that. I must have not paid enough attention to him last year. You are correct, being 6'8 does not bode well fro playing linebacker. But you guys have a need at defensive end too, so if he gets bigger, the pick could work.

He's more like 6'6"

6'6" is tall for a OLB, but not overly tall if they're athletic enough. Mario did it, many people thought Julius was going to do it prior to signing with the Bears.

mightytitan9
04-30-2012, 12:36 PM
I seriously doubt the Chiefs are picking top 5 next year, but if they are they must trade up and address the quarterback position.

I agree, I think they'll be around 7-9 at worst, they've got just as good of chance at winning that division as anyone

killxswitch
04-30-2012, 12:45 PM

It will be interesting to see what direction he takes next season. I actually think DE might be one of our stronger positions on the team right now, but it's all guesses on paper at this point.

He's more like 6'6"

6'6" is tall for a OLB, but not overly tall if they're athletic enough. Mario did it, many people thought Julius was going to do it prior to signing with the Bears.

I guess we will have to see the Combine weigh-in. He looks too tall to me. 6'6 is acceptable but IMO you have to be a freak of nature to make it work. Williams and Peppers are indeed freaks, and really those aren't good examples anyway. Williams played 4 games at OLB and will now move back to DE. Peppers has always played DE, it doesn't matter that he "was going to do it", he didn't. I'm not so sure Taylor is on that level of athleticism anyway. He's got a year to prove it.

jojo
04-30-2012, 01:09 PM
7. Minnesota Vikings- WR Keenan Allen California.

Allen had ankle reconstructive surgery & missed the Golden Bears Spring Game. Hopefully the preseason AA WR will be ready for their trip to the Ohio St. Horseshoe & do well this yr.

As expected Lattimore will be the 1st RB off the boards. He is also recovering from season-ending surgery (ACL).

Barrett Jones will be drafted ahead of D.J. Fluker among Alabama o-linemen if he stays healthy, he has played all 5 front 5 spots for the Tide & could be an Outland contender. Fluker will however draw scouts' attention as he is so damn huge, a 340-lb. freshman starting at RT, & is a superlative pass & run blocker.

scar988
04-30-2012, 01:10 PM
27. Atlanta Falcons- DE Alex Okafor Texas: Ray Edwards is an overpaid bum and John Abraham could retire any day now. The Falcons have to address the defensive line early and often in 2013.
bad pick. we have defensive ends. Edwards isn't this bum people think he is, his "down year" was a 4 sack year where he was battling knee injury and was still excellent vs the run and didn't have an offseason to prepare with any teammates... give him an offseason and he's back to his 7-8 sack form. Also, Abraham has said he will play out this deal and then retire...

fenikz
04-30-2012, 01:18 PM
seriously? didn't notice AZ going 7-2 down the stretch or anything with the same QBs

keylime_5
04-30-2012, 02:07 PM
The Browns have to pick Robert Woods next year!!!!

That said, Woods is closer to Blackmon as a prospect than he is Fitzgerald/A.Johnson/C.Johnson/Green and he isn't elite enough of a WR prospect to go #1 overall any year.

K Train
04-30-2012, 02:19 PM
mcdonald is an amazing pick for the steelers

kBuc5
04-30-2012, 02:30 PM
Matt Barkley to the Bucs.... Fail.

jrdrylie
04-30-2012, 02:45 PM
Matt Barkley to the Bucs.... Fail.

If the Bucs finish in the bottom five of the league, you don't think they would seriously consider grabbing a new QB? Freeman was really bad last year. It wasn't all his fault, but he did regress from a solid second season. If they finish with somewhere between 4 and 6 wins, then it is likely Freeman sucked again. That would be three bad seasons in four years. Tampa would be foolish to not consider replacing Freeman if that is the case.

jared3
04-30-2012, 04:22 PM
I doubt Tampa, AZ, and KC are picking in the top 5 next year.

Here are my 5 worst teams for next year:

1. Jaguars- QB Matt Barkley, USC
2. Browns-
3. Dolphins
4. Colts
5. Vikings

Pat Sims 90
04-30-2012, 04:34 PM
The Bengals won't get Oaklands 1st Round if it is that high. Oakland has to make AFC Championship game for it to be a 1st if they don't it is a 2nd Rounder.

SuperPacker
04-30-2012, 04:37 PM
I dont know who Alec Ogletree is, but we dont need inside or outside linebackers, especially in the first round.

jrdrylie
04-30-2012, 04:51 PM
I dont know who Alec Ogletree is, but we dont need inside or outside linebackers, especially in the first round.

I'd disagree about you guys not needing an inside linebacker. Hawk is going to be expensive to keep and is probably not worth the money.

jrdrylie
04-30-2012, 04:51 PM
The Bengals won't get Oaklands 1st Round if it is that high. Oakland has to make AFC Championship game for it to be a 1st if they don't it is a 2nd Rounder.

That is correct. I'll fix that in the next version. Thanks.

SuperPacker
04-30-2012, 04:55 PM
I'd disagree about you guys not needing an inside linebacker. Hawk is going to be expensive to keep and is probably not worth the money.

Yeah, AJ Hawk is shocking, but DJ Smith will be the starter next year.

vidae
04-30-2012, 05:27 PM
The Chiefs aren't going to pick top 5. We're just as talented as anyone else in the division as a whole and we have a fourth place schedule. I seriously doubt we're going to "stink" as you put it.

JPF
04-30-2012, 05:49 PM
Panthers have too many needs still for their first round pick to be a luxury (not saying DT is but your explanation states they can go luxury).

Corner- Gamble is on his 10th year in the league, no other proven starter (Munnerlyn starts but isn't very solid).

OT- Gross is also the wrong side of 30, Otah can't stay healthy (has played in less than half the games since being drafted).

WR- Steve Smith is the wrong side of 30, none of the young receivers project as a future #1.

FS- Simply put, Sherrod Martin sucks.

DT- Is a need, they'll likely didn't take one this year to give the young 3rd round picks from last year more time to develop before jumping to draft one. Could take one next year, I'd be surprised if they didn't.

SuperPacker
04-30-2012, 05:52 PM
The Chiefs aren't going to pick top 5. We're just as talented as anyone else in the division as a whole and we have a fourth place schedule. I seriously doubt we're going to "stink" as you put it.

Lol, this is a "why is my team picking so low" i can understand. Other than Dontari Poe and Matt Cassell this team is pretty good.

T-RICH49
04-30-2012, 10:34 PM

and even if we did could'nt you have us stink a couple picks higher so we can get a QB

jrdrylie
05-01-2012, 08:09 AM
About the Chiefs, I had them finishing 6-10, in a tie with Washington, Minnesota, Indianapolis, St. Louis, and New York. I flipped coins to determine the order and Kansas City came out with the highest pick. So really I think they could pick anywhere between 5-10.

thebow305
05-01-2012, 08:41 AM
Wow, LOVE where Miami is picking. Looks like you have some confidence in us this year! And I like the Miami pick, but I'd prefer Da'Rick Rogers.

jrdrylie
05-01-2012, 10:05 AM
Wow, LOVE where Miami is picking. Looks like you have some confidence in us this year! And I like the Miami pick, but I'd prefer Da'Rick Rogers.

Yeah, I really like the Miami defense and I think the running game is going to be solid. I am not a huge Matt Moore fan but I think he can be an average starter. They should be good enough for 8 or 9 wins.

fishspinners
05-01-2012, 11:52 AM
I doubt Tampa, AZ, and KC are picking in the top 5 next year.

Here are my 5 worst teams for next year:

1. Jaguars- QB Matt Barkley, USC
2. Browns-
3. Dolphins
4. Colts
5. Vikings

Agreed for the most part but if Tampa doesn't take a step forward they will be back in the top 5. Alot riding on Freeman this year.

D-Unit
05-01-2012, 02:24 PM
Cowboys picking at 31? Nice.

Love to get Rambo there. I notice a lot of players who seemed to be miseed though.

jrdrylie
05-02-2012, 10:45 AM
Cowboys picking at 31? Nice.

Love to get Rambo there. I notice a lot of players who seemed to be miseed though.

Who do you see that I've missed? It is still very early in the process, so I'm sure there are guys I haven't seen much of that will likely be first rounders.