PDA

View Full Version : Gil Brandt's top 50

Iamcanadian
03-30-2007, 02:31 AM
Since we are all speculating on trade downs, I thought this would be a useful guide to the draft. Brandt was the chief scout and Head of Personnel, of the Cowboys during their heydays. This list probably closely resembles the Dallas Cowboy draft board who Brandt still hass close ties to.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/10091764

Please remember, his list is alphabetical within the tiers and it was posted before Jarrett had his pro day.

Addict
03-30-2007, 05:16 AM
Since we are all speculating on trade downs, I thought this would be a useful guide to the draft. Brandt was the chief scout and Head of Personnel, of the Cowboys during their heydays. This list probably closely resembles the Dallas Cowboy draft board who Brandt still hass close ties to.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/10091764

Please remember, his list is alphabetical within the tiers and it was posted before Jarrett had his pro day.

There is no buildup since it's alphabetical, how does this tell us more about what the 'boys will be doing?

31. David Harris, LB, Michigan: At the Combine, Harris (6-2, 243) ran his 40s in 4.59 and 4.60, the short shuttle in 4.29 and the three-cone drill in 7.25. He had a 33-inch vertical jump, an 8-foot-11 broad jump and 23 strength lifts. He had good workouts at Indy and Ann Arbor....

he don't look half bad though

Iamcanadian
03-30-2007, 11:19 AM
There is no buildup since it's alphabetical, how does this tell us more about what the 'boys will be doing?

31. David Harris, LB, Michigan: At the Combine, Harris (6-2, 243) ran his 40s in 4.59 and 4.60, the short shuttle in 4.29 and the three-cone drill in 7.25. He had a 33-inch vertical jump, an 8-foot-11 broad jump and 23 strength lifts. He had good workouts at Indy and Ann Arbor....

he don't look half bad though

Let's admit it, we don't have a clue about what 'the boys will be doing', Millen is at least pretty good at hiding his intentions. This list when taken with his top 35 which you can find a link to in the article, at least gives us a picture of a player's current range on most draft boards. Of course it's listed alphabetically as different teams have different systems and hence far different boards. A Cover 2, 3-4 and standard 4-3 are all going to have a different ranking because each is looking for a different kind of defender. The same can apply to the offense. Team boards can vary quite a bit. You just have to know what system your team plays and who fits best.

Addict
03-30-2007, 11:21 AM
Let's admit it, we don't have a clue about what 'the boys will be doing', Millen is at least pretty good at hiding his intentions. This list when taken with his top 35 which you can find a link to in the article, at least gives us a picture of a player's current range on most draft boards. Of course it's listed alphabetically as different teams have different systems and hence far different boards. A Cover 2, 3-4 and standard 4-3 are all going to have a different ranking because each is looking for a different kind of defender. The same can apply to the offense. Team boards can vary quite a bit. You just have to know what system your team plays and who fits best.

I hate it when you make sense.

TacticaLion
03-30-2007, 12:03 PM

HAHA! That's funny... a complesult.

Iamcanadian
03-30-2007, 10:56 PM

I thought I always do, just hard for people to accept. I've been at this game for 50+ years, you can always disagree with me but you cannot ignore what I say because I've seen it over and over again. I don't mind criticism and have a thick skin, but experience does count for something.
Like you and Tactical Lion and some others, I'm passionate and put in the time to know what is really going on. Your young and don't really have experience with what a poor inept owner and GM means to an organization. Give yourself time and the light will go on, you may not like what you see, but you will see it nevertheless.

detroit4life
03-30-2007, 11:24 PM
u made sense witht hat post but i completely disagree withu on some points sure expierience might mean something but the lions under millen is all that really matters right now so anyone who has watched them while under his reign should know what hes thinking or planning just as much as u. U mostly get criticism for ur negative posts and ur pessimism (if thats a word) i understand where it comes from if i watched the lions as long as u i'd probably agree with u on a lot of it but i think a lot of people should be able to look at what they're doing now and be somewhat optimistic for the future while u just dont show it and seems to always shoot optimistic things down.

And that is in no way trying to be offensive at all

Iamcanadian
04-01-2007, 12:47 AM
u made sense witht hat post but i completely disagree withu on some points sure expierience might mean something but the lions under millen is all that really matters right now so anyone who has watched them while under his reign should know what hes thinking or planning just as much as u. U mostly get criticism for ur negative posts and ur pessimism (if thats a word) i understand where it comes from if i watched the lions as long as u i'd probably agree with u on a lot of it but i think a lot of people should be able to look at what they're doing now and be somewhat optimistic for the future while u just dont show it and seems to always shoot optimistic things down.

And that is in no way trying to be offensive at all

I get your point and wish I could be more optimistic about the Lion's chances under Millen. All I want is for Millen to be gone before he does anymore damage to the Lions. I just cannot accept that Ford kept him on after 6 years and a 24-72 record. It made absolutely no sense and was like a slap in the face of Detroit fans, saying without words, that Ford simply doesn't care any longer. He's basically saying, he doesn't make mistakes and the fans just have to stomack it. You call it pessimism, I call it reality and am hoping that if I call Ford out long enough, we may finally be rid of the man.
You need to hate the man who has personally destroyed this franchise and all Detroit fans need to put pressure on him by refusing to buy tickets and merchandise. Until that happens, Ford can continue to believe he is right, he's making money so why change anything. In their own way Detroit fans are Ford's strongest supporters by buying tickets and merchandise, they are saying with their pocket books that Ford is good for this franchise and they are satisfied with mediocrity.
This franchise has suffered for close to 50 years under Ford, most football fans think our franchise is a joke and have pity on us. On any team board that takes it's ownership to task, you'll always find comments like 'thank G-d were not as bad as Detroit'.
I sorry if you don't like to hear the truth, but I'm going to continue to take on the franchise until I see real results. I'm not prepared to live in fantasyland believing next year will be better because it won't. The people of Detroit need to let Ford know that they won't take it any longer, they need to stand up and let their feelings be known.

Sorry to vent on you!!

detroit4life
04-01-2007, 12:02 PM
no i understand the fact that it is reality but for once it does look like this team is taking the right steps and going in the right direction i would love to get rid of millen just as much but that should have been done before he hired marinelli because if we were to fire him now or next year then our entire coaching staff would probably be changed which would loose all the progress we've made last year and this year

Addict
04-01-2007, 12:05 PM
I thought I always do, just hard for people to accept. I've been at this game for 50+ years, you can always disagree with me but you cannot ignore what I say because I've seen it over and over again. I don't mind criticism and have a thick skin, but experience does count for something.
Like you and Tactical Lion and some others, I'm passionate and put in the time to know what is really going on. Your young and don't really have experience with what a poor inept owner and GM means to an organization. Give yourself time and the light will go on, you may not like what you see, but you will see it nevertheless.

Maybe it's because I've been playing Final Fantasy X all week (I was sick, I do actually work and go to school when healthy... or at least... I try to)

Anyways, in spite of my FFX-obsession this past week, you strangely remind me of Auron.

Iamcanadian
04-02-2007, 11:48 PM
no i understand the fact that it is reality but for once it does look like this team is taking the right steps and going in the right direction i would love to get rid of millen just as much but that should have been done before he hired marinelli because if we were to fire him now or next year then our entire coaching staff would probably be changed which would loose all the progress we've made last year and this year

My desire would be for Millen to go, an experienced GM hired and Martz retained as HC. I trust Martz to hire a DC who can get the job done. I'm not sold on Marinelli one iota.

detroit4life
04-03-2007, 07:01 PM
i like the staff as it is right now marinelli is going to change the attitude of this team which is a huge thing for this team he may not be the coach of the future but he is the right coach to have here right now while rebuilding and we'll be able to see how good he actually does but when rebuilding its not always about new players and new talent but a lot of it is a change in attitude which is something marinelli is bringing