PDA

View Full Version : Tampa Bay Bucs Sign Rutgers DT Eric Legrand

scottyboy
05-02-2012, 10:20 AM
This is seriously awesome. What a gesture. Amazing thing for the Bucs and Schiano to do

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7881254/tampa-bay-buccaneers-sign-injured-rutgers-dt-eric-legrand-symbolic-gesture

broncosfan
05-02-2012, 10:50 AM
I just finished reading it and was about to post it. It's a great stroy, it shows you that Schiano (and the buc's for going with it) is a classy guy.

Other nice thing about the article is the part where he said "Buccaneer Men", that's a nice change from Raheem Morris and all that youngry crap.

vidae
05-02-2012, 10:53 AM
Yeah, I was seriously getting sick of that whole "youngry" stuff too.

I agree that this is a fantastic story. Just goes to show you that even the Bucs can do something awesome! :D

*runs away from Caddy*

Wootylicous
05-02-2012, 11:29 AM
Classy move by the Bucs and Schiano.

tjsunstein
05-02-2012, 11:55 AM
Really awesome gesture, have to tip the hat to Schiano. He's doing good things down there and changing the culture. Drafting team captains, and signing LeGrand is a long way from the Raheem Morris days.

bigbuc
05-02-2012, 11:57 AM
Really awesome gesture, have to tip the hat to Schiano. He's doing good things down there and changing the culture. Drafting team captains, and signing LeGrand is a long way from the Raheem Morris days.

We've been drafting team captains for three years now...

eaglesalltheway
05-02-2012, 12:12 PM
We've been drafting team captains for three years now...
Give it a ******* rest, you can't let ONE THING go (its not even negative) on this story? Good job Schiano, you are the man. Some bucs fans don't deserve you... (Caddy, obviously you're not included in that)

eaglesalltheway
05-02-2012, 12:25 PM
This really is a great story, that could've been so much worse, I'll always be rooting for this guy, and Schiano. Truly a great guy.

T-RICH49
05-02-2012, 12:33 PM
major props to Schiano and the Bucs.what a great story

irishbucsfan
05-02-2012, 12:41 PM
Give it a ******* rest, you can't let ONE THING go (its not even negative) on this story? Good job Schiano, you are the man. Some bucs fans don't deserve you... (Caddy, obviously you're not included in that)

Jesus christ man, relax. Pointing that out doesn't take anything away from the amazing story.

eaglesalltheway
05-02-2012, 12:43 PM
Jesus christ man, relax. Pointing that out doesn't take anything away from the amazing story.

Not its just even here on a story like this, people are subject to this guy's bitching and complaining when you don't say anything positively astounding about the Bucs organization. He didn't post about the story at all, only bothered bitching at someone for not praising every single thing the Bucs do.

ChiFan24
05-02-2012, 01:29 PM

Takes away from the thread though. Guy shows up to ***** every time anyone ever says anything negative about the Bucs........the 4-12 Bucs.

Schiano's a boss though.

SuperPacker
05-02-2012, 01:30 PM
I have an amazing amount of respect for Schiano right now! What a man.

nrk
05-02-2012, 01:44 PM
Not its just even here on a story like this, people are subject to this guy's bitching and complaining when you don't say anything positively astounding about the Bucs organization. He didn't post about the story at all, only bothered bitching at someone for not praising every single thing the Bucs do.

How is pointing out that a comment is wrong, bitching? While I have no idea if they have drafted team captains the last 3 years, so either could be right, his comment wasn't bitching or complaining. Disputing a fan of another team's comment about their own team isn't complaining, it's telling them how it is.

eaglesalltheway
05-02-2012, 01:47 PM
I'm not going to argue this with you, if you really think he wasn't bitching, you haven't seen enough of his posts...

nrk
05-02-2012, 01:48 PM
You did waaaay more bitching in this thread than he did.

eaglesalltheway
05-02-2012, 02:02 PM
You did waaaay more bitching in this thread than he did.

I told you, I'm not arguing with you. I guess I'm a hypocrite. Happy?

Shane P. Hallam
05-02-2012, 02:30 PM
I give credit to Mark Dominik as well for carrying this out. A class act by the whole organization.

SunTzu_22
05-02-2012, 02:42 PM
Very classy gesture from Schiano and the Bucs. Nothing but respect from over here.

Jughead10
05-02-2012, 02:43 PM
I give credit to Mark Dominik as well for carrying this out. A class act by the whole organization.

Why? It's not like they are paying him.

Legacy
05-02-2012, 02:56 PM
Why? It's not like they are paying him.
Because they weren't obligated to do it and still went out of their way to fulfill the kid's dream of being an NFL player, even if it is a symbolic gesture. Hopefully the Bucs will offer him an opportunity to pursue a career as a broadcaster with the team once he completes his degree.

A posted on a Bucs board I frequent suggested that the Buccaneers should let him choose a number and put his jersey up on the team's NFL Shop with all the proceeds going towards spinal chord research. I'd buy that jersey in a heartbeat.

Jughead10
05-02-2012, 03:00 PM
Because they weren't obligated to do it and still went out of their way to fulfill the kid's dream of being an NFL player, even if it is a symbolic gesture. Hopefully the Bucs will offer him an opportunity to pursue a career as a broadcaster with the team once he completes his degree.

A posted on a Bucs board I frequent suggested that the Buccaneers should let him choose a number and put his jersey up on the team's NFL Shop with all the proceeds going towards spinal chord research. I'd buy that jersey in a heartbeat.

I get it. I'm just saying I don't know if a ton of praise should go to the GM. I'm sure Schiano came up with this obviously, and since they don't have to pay him, it was a no brainer for the GM.

irishbucsfan
05-02-2012, 03:09 PM
Just reposting a story someone posted back in January on our unofficial board. It makes me root for Schiano for no other reason than to validate this kind of behaviour.

Eric LeGrand's voice was strong and true. "I will walk again no doubt,'' he said. Just out of physical therapy, he was enthused about setting a personal record. For three minutes, 27 seconds, he sat upright after being lifted into position. "This,'' he said, "is a great day.''

Truthfully, every day is a great day for Eric LeGrand, the relentlessly optimistic Rutgers University football player who was paralyzed from the neck down after making a special-teams tackle against Army on Oct. 16, 2010. His determined attempt at recovery has amazed doctors. He has inspired his university and fans worldwide.

And he's probably the biggest reason why Greg Schiano found it difficult to leave Rutgers for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

"These are more than just players,'' Schiano said. "These are like my sons.''

Last week, the deal was almost done. For Schiano, everything felt right. He was on the verge of becoming the ninth head coach in Bucs' history. But such a momentous decision called for a family meeting. That's when his four children asked the most difficult question of all.

"What about Eric?''

In 11 seasons, Schiano's core values of trust, belief and accountability were infused into Rutgers' program. He transformed hopelessness into respectability. Over time, people learned about Schiano, the coach.

But in a matter of seconds on Oct. 16, 2010 the lightning-quick sequence for a frighteningly tragic injury people began to discover Schiano, the man.

"Before Eric's injury, I knew Coach Schiano, but not really,'' said LeGrand's mother, Karen. "I mean, I knew he was a good person. If he wasn't, I never would've let Eric play there.

"But when this happened, when our lives changed completely, that's when I began to see what he was all about.''

After football practice, Schiano spent every night at the hospital, often relieving LeGrand's mother, so she could sleep. He'd set up camp at the bedside, keeping the conversation going, working on his laptop when needed. Someone from Rutgers' staff was there around the clock. Schiano arranged for the best doctors, the best care, the best rehabilitation facilities.

"Whatever we needed, Coach Schiano was there,'' LeGrand's mother said. "He made a really devastating situation just a little bit easier. He means the absolute world to us.''

On Thursday, when news broke that Schiano was headed to the NFL, LeGrand and his mother were stunned. It stung a bit.

"But you can't deny that it's a great opportunity for him,'' LeGrand said. "He is Rutgers football to me. He's always going to be my coach. That's true forever.''

LeGrand, at his peak a 270-pound defensive lineman who could squat 605 pounds, said he's the same person as always.

"I haven't changed at all, I just can't walk right now,'' said LeGrand, speaking through his Bluetooth, unable to stifle his laughter at the irony.

When he's not in therapy as an outpatient at the Kessler Institute in West Orange, N.J., or finishing his degree requirements on Skype, he's hanging out with his girlfriend or going to the movies. He's omnipresent on his voice-activated Twitter and Facebook accounts. "I'm always on the go,'' LeGrand said. Next weekend, he will attend Super Bowl XLVI with a friend who's able to manage his needs.

"I'm neutral, just looking for a good game,'' LeGrand said. "I'm a Denver fan. I'm a Tebow guy.''

Then LeGrand offered this:

"Oh, did you know that I'm famous?''

He really is.

When he violently collided with an Army kick returner, his spinal cord was damaged and his C3 and C4 vertebrae broken. He struggled to breathe. He wanted to give a thumbs-up, but couldn't raise his thumb. Doctors put him on a respirator and predicted he would need it for the rest of his life. The chances of ever walking again: Between 0 and 5 percent.

LeGrand's mother still remembers the first words he mouthed to her.

"I'll be back.''

Now he's off the respirator. He can move his head and shoulders. He can stand with support for up to 40 minutes. His back muscles are gaining strength. At Kessler, snug in a harness, he's lowered onto a treadmill, his feet just touching the conveyor belt. Therapists move his legs to simulate walking, essentially retraining his nervous system.

Last Oct. 29, in the middle of a snowstorm, LeGrand led the Rutgers team onto the field against West Virginia. He was in his $40,000 motorized wheelchair, controlled by a mouthpiece. He wore his No. 52 jersey. In his lap, he carried an ax, a symbol of Schiano's "keep chopping'' mantra.

In a Sports Illustrated fan poll, it was selected as the top sports moment of 2011. So there was Eric LeGrand, famous forever, on the SI cover.

"That was nothing but fitting,'' Schiano said. "Everything that he's up against, having such an incredible attitude, he's such an inspiration. His situation was the single hardest thing I've gone through as a man, forget being a football coach. Eric has taught me a lot. I learned a lot about myself. I learned a lot about what I believe.''

LeGrand's mother knows she's fighting a losing cause, but she believes Schiano belongs in college football.

"I know it's all a great thing for Coach Schiano and his family, but I guess I'm still a little bit heartbroken,'' she said. "He's such an influence on Eric. He turned him from a boy into a man.

"I told Coach Schiano, 'That's why I'm upset you're going to the NFL. Those guys are grown already. They don't need you. College kids need you.' I guess we're just going to miss him being around.''

LeGrand and his mother live in a two-bedroom, ground-floor accessible apartment in Woodbridge, N.J., about a mile from their home, which is being rebuilt. It will have a special bathroom, his own exercise room and a separate area to accommodate the flood of memorabilia, cards, posters and souvenirs sent from around the world.

For five months, he lived at Kessler, where he saw people with no visitors, no friends and very little hope.

"How can I feel bad about myself?'' LeGrand said. "I've got so many people on my side. I've seen other people who have nothing. I feel like I have a lot. I feel this happened for a reason, maybe so I could give hope to others.

"You don't want to be 21, going to therapy every day, not able to walk. But that's where I am. So I'm fighting back. Coach Schiano taught me to always keep fighting.''

Schiano said he will bring LeGrand to Tampa next season for a Bucs game. Asked if there might be a place for LeGrand in the Bucs' organization, Schiano paused, smiled and said, "I never thought about it. Who knows what's down the road?''

LeGrand has bigger dreams.

He will again lead Rutgers onto the field, but not in a wheelchair, only when he can walk through the tunnel himself.

He will also return to Giants Stadium, the site of his injury. He will lay down on the field where the collision occurred. Then he will get up and walk to the sideline.

"Coach Schiano is going to be there waiting for me,'' LeGrand said. "I'm going to shake his hand and give him a hug. It doesn't matter so much that you got knocked down. It's all about how you get up. Like Coach Schiano always says, you've got to keep chopping.''

scottyboy
05-02-2012, 03:15 PM
**** i teared up reading that.

I saw some quote where he said when he can walk again, he wants to go to giants stadium, lie down on the spot where the collision was, and stand up and walk away.

bucfan12
05-02-2012, 06:07 PM
This was a great thing and classy move by Schiano and Dominik. LeGrand proved his doubters, which were his Doctors, that he wouldn't be able to breathe on his own or stand on his own again.

He never quit and he earned this. Schiano was an excellent choice for not only this football team, but for the community of Tampa as well.

Caddy
05-02-2012, 06:39 PM

:)

Yeah, I was seriously getting sick of that whole "youngry" stuff too.

I agree that this is a fantastic story. Just goes to show you that even the Bucs can do something awesome! :D

*runs away from Caddy*

You can't hide from me vidae.

ChiFan24
05-02-2012, 06:46 PM
God bless Eric LeGrand and everything, but I just realized - John McCargo just lost his roster spot to a cripple.

prock
05-02-2012, 06:49 PM

He was just pointing something out. It's alright bro haha

vidae
05-02-2012, 07:09 PM
God bless Eric LeGrand and everything, but I just realized - John McCargo just lost his roster spot to a cripple.

I think it's probably more accurate that John McCargo lost his roster spot because he sucks.

Caddy
05-02-2012, 07:13 PM
I think it's probably more accurate that John McCargo lost his roster spot because he sucks.

I can confirm this is true.

TheBoyWonder22
05-02-2012, 07:26 PM
**** i teared up reading that.

I saw some quote where he said when he can walk again, he wants to go to giants stadium, lie down on the spot where the collision was, and stand up and walk away.
This sounds awesome!!!

tjsunstein
05-02-2012, 07:35 PM
Not a big deal, bro. I was misinformed and posted something that was wrong and he corrected me. Maybe he's a stickler for Bucs' related posts and what not but here he wasn't in the least bit wrong. Picked a pretty bad time to try to call him out. I can admit I'm wrong.

WCH
05-02-2012, 08:09 PM
I'm guilty of assuming that Schiano was probably like the other megalomaniacal NCAA-turned-NFL head coaches in recent years, but I think I was wrong. Props to him for being there for his people.

Also, Eric LeGrand's will and optimism are pretty inspiring. I can't say with 100% certainty that I wouldn't pack it in, feel sorry for myself, and live out my days soaking up morphine or building up my strength just enough to lift a glass a whiskey. I look forward to seeing him walk off that field.

Brent
05-02-2012, 08:47 PM
being Jersey and all:

http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com/assets_c/2010/11/Boss_Thumbs_Up_gif-thumb-350x197-15764.gif

ChiFan24
05-02-2012, 08:52 PM

Pretty much what I was getting at.

Bobo
05-03-2012, 01:50 PM
That's such a good story. That's gotta be a hard road to travel for LeGrand, but looks like there's a lot of positivity surrounding him.

GoGifGo
05-09-2012, 11:46 AM
That is a cool move by the bucs