PDA

View Full Version : Tennessee Vols - 2013 Prospects Thread

CashmoneyDrew
05-02-2012, 11:14 PM
Tyler Bray, QB, Jr. (6'6" 215 lbs.)
http://cdn.cloudfiles.mosso.com/c1910342/media_center/images/rendered/blog/wysiwyg/Bray.jpg

STATS
2010 - 125 cmp 224 att 1849 yds 55.8 cmp% 8.25 ypa 18 TD 10 INT
2011 - 147 cmp 247 att 1983 yds 59.5 cmp% 8.03 ypa 17 TD 6 INT

DOaaT9zvYb8

Justin Hunter, WR, Jr. (6'4" 190 lbs.)
http://tricitiessports.com/clients/tricitiessports/12-10-2010-1-26-56-AM-5209252.jpg

Sg76Hr4s6vU
v5M09m2Sd5s

Da'Rick Rogers, WR, Jr. (6'3" 210 lbs.)
http://media.utdailybeacon.com/photos/2011/09/11/darick-rogers-against-cincinnati-9-12.1247-650.jpg

5BHOXRyDLuw

Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Jr. (6'4" 210 lbs.)
http://www.hutchpost.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/fb1-111511.jpg

7EArUSFokOE

Mychal Rivera, TE, Sr. (6'3" 250 lbs.)
http://www.t-g.com/photos/14/56/09/1456091-L.jpg
qnVsHutr7fw

Ja'wuan James, OT, Jr. (6'6" 320 lbs.)
http://i1061.photobucket.com/albums/t477/cashmoneydrew1/juwuanjames_display_image.jpg

Dallas Thomas, OG, Sr. (6'5" 300 lbs.)
http://i1061.photobucket.com/albums/t477/cashmoneydrew1/Dallasthomas.jpg

Complex
05-02-2012, 11:24 PM
I wanted Da'rick Rogers to be a titan :(. Won't happen unless we get rid of Nate Washington or Da'rick does something stupid(which could happen) which makes him drop enough for the titans to take him in like 3rd,4th or 5th round.

vidae
05-02-2012, 11:30 PM
My god this Vol class is going to be sexy. I have the biggest mancrush on Tyler Bray.

If it's ok with you and TH I think I might be a Vol fan this year. What say you CMD?!

CashmoneyDrew
05-02-2012, 11:35 PM
If it's ok with you and TH I think I might be a Vol fan this year. What say you CMD?!

You and ElectricEye can hop on the bandwagon, yes.

vidae
05-02-2012, 11:36 PM
VOL NATION!

And because there can't be a Vol thread without this sexy ************ in it:

http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Chick+fil+Bowl+Virginia+Tech+v+Tennessee+8owGn5HF8 AMl.jpg

Wootylicous
05-02-2012, 11:56 PM
Waitttttt Bray is also my mancrush can I join too ?!

CashmoneyDrew
05-03-2012, 12:04 AM
Yes wootster!

And I'll update the first post with stats, mini-scouting reports, and probably a few more players in the next couple of days.

Complex
05-03-2012, 12:04 AM
Has Tyler gained any weight?

jrdrylie
05-03-2012, 08:32 AM
Somebody needs to give some of these guys some food. Bray and Hunter look like stick figures.

cmarq83
05-03-2012, 08:52 AM
I'm 100% on board the Justin Hunter bandwagon.

Razor
05-03-2012, 08:54 AM
I'm 100% on board the Justin Hunter bandwagon.

Count me in on that one. I hope he stays healthy next year so he can be a top 15 pick.

CashmoneyDrew
05-03-2012, 11:07 AM
Tyler Bray has put on about 12-15 pounds since last season. You can see the difference in pictures from spring ball.

Saints-Tigers
05-03-2012, 11:40 AM
Bray is 6'6 at 215

Hunter is 6'4 190

Hunter looks substantially thicker. BRay actually looks ill in that picture, is he actually 215 there? hunter looks bigger than 190 too.

ATLDirtyBirds
05-03-2012, 11:41 AM
Woah, woah, woah. I'm the leader of the Bray fan club.

Iamcanadian
05-03-2012, 12:16 PM
Let's see how their season plays out before we get too carried away. They have talent but I want to see production before I get on board, that why they play the season.

prock
05-03-2012, 12:17 PM
Put me on the Vol bandwagon this year too. Hunterhunterhunter

CashmoneyDrew
05-03-2012, 12:23 PM
Bray is 6'6 at 215

Hunter is 6'4 190

Hunter looks substantially thicker. BRay actually looks ill in that picture, is he actually 215 there? hunter looks bigger than 190 too.

He's not 215 in that picture. He's put on the weight this spring, you can tell from the interviews he's done. And Hunter is listed at 200, but he's said this spring that he's lost a little weight due to his injury.

marshallb
05-03-2012, 12:46 PM
Can I also join Vol nation, at least just for this year? The Gophers won't be good for awhile, so I have to have someone I can root for that is actually better than terrible. Bray, Hunter, and Rogers are beastly.

D-Unit
05-03-2012, 12:50 PM
The real question is who's better. Tyler Bray or Peyton Manning???

DoughBoy
05-03-2012, 01:57 PM
Brayton Manning

DoughBoy
05-03-2012, 02:03 PM
If only we had some semblance of a defense, or a running game, or a head coach, or a kicking game,then we might be able to win in all this year.

CashmoneyDrew
05-03-2012, 02:50 PM
I actually think our starting defense is fairly talented. We just need to stay relatively healthy since we have little depth there.

Palardy and Darr scare me, though. Wish they'd perform like their recruiting rankings.

Matthew Jones
05-03-2012, 02:55 PM
Here are some notes I took on Bray last season. I'm really looking forward to seeing more of Bray in 2012.

Tyler Bray, Tennessee* (6’5”, 210, 5.15)

Positives:

• Excellent height and will be one of the tallest NFL quarterbacks
• Throwing motion will not require many adjustments in the NFL
• Does a nice job of stepping into his throws when given time
• Gets great zip on the ball to all areas of the field
• Can fit throws into tight windows if necessary
• Shows the ability to anticipate wide receivers getting open
• Already has lots of experience against SEC defenses
• Has already taken some snaps from under center in college
• Has some escapability in the pocket (especially against outside rush)
• Highly competitive on-field demeanor who plays with confidence

Negatives:

• Needs to add a significant amount of bulk in order to withstand hits
• Many of his throws are based off of predetermined reads (must check down more)
• Can get too aggressive with the ball and needs to throw it away more often
• Inconsistent footwork and looks clumsy or uncoordinated at times
• Could put more touch on the ball while throwing intermediate routes
• Must improve ball security while scrambling (holds the ball away from his body)

Flags:

• Underclassman
• Durability (missed five games with a broken thumb in 2011)
• Admitted to being “lazy” in 2011

ElectricEye
05-03-2012, 02:57 PM
Haha. Drew already gave me a shout out for being a big fan of Bray. Let the record show I was on the bandwagon VERY early.

But yeah, there's quite a few interesting prospects on the Vols all of a sudden. Bray obviously highlights them. He really looked like he was ready to take a major step forward last season before the injuries. It's a shame we didn't get to see more of him than we did last year, as it did hurt his value going into this season a tiny bit. He'll have a bit more to prove. I think he's got more than enough talent to do just that. I really like how much of a natural feel he has for timing and ball placement to compliment his arm strength. That's the sort of thing that takes you from being a first round pick to being a top of the draft guy.

He's still got some things to work on though. The biggest criticism I can give him straight away is his footwork. Going back and watching him a little bit, he's really inconsistent as far as stepping into his throws. He's obviously very confident in his arm strength(he should be) but he gets lazy with his feet sometimes, causing the ball to die on him and end up in places he doesn't want it to be. That's a bit of a dangerous trait at the next level. He'll benefit a ton from stepping up more often and just using his legs to get on the ball more in general. I've heard that the Tennessee coaches have been working with him on that, so that will be one of the key things I'm looking to see improvement with this year.

The number one thing for him will just be playing a whole season though. A lot of his issues will just get better with experience. I've heard that he's gotten up to 220 pounds so far, so hopefully he'll be able to add another five by the time the season rolls around. That won't help him with the thumb(you can't really help that anyway), but it should help him stay on the field longer in general and boost his draft stock up a bit right from the get go.

I'm with the rest of you on Justin Hunter too. He's another guy with a really small sample size, but what we have seen so far has been REALLY good. If he can come back healthy, I think he'll be able to assert himself as one of the top draft eligible receivers. It may take some time for him to get his speed and explosiveness back. Those are the two things that may him special to go along with his height, but he's also absolutely phenomenal at tracking the ball when it's in the air. His hands seem pretty good too. So he should be able to produce even if he doesn't have his fastball back yet.

Da'Rick Rogers befitted immensely from Hunter being gone. I saw him as more of a raw run after the catch type guy going into last year, but he made massive strides as an overall receiver with a bigger role. It'll be interesting to see how far he can go this year. He's had an NFL ready body since his freshmen year. I worry about some of the off the field stuff though. Seems to have some maturity issues.

TACKLE
05-03-2012, 03:56 PM
Woah, woah, woah. I'm the leader of the Bray fan club.

Does Urric know you're telling people this?

Brayton Manning

More like Tom BrayD.

San Diego Chicken
05-03-2012, 04:14 PM
Not to rain on the Bray parade but does he have any production against good competition at all? He's been hurt for most SEC games and 12 of his 35 career TD passes have come against Montana, Memphis and Buffalo. He had a 6-6 TD/INT ratio last season against SEC competition with a completion % of under 50... He makes some questionable decisions and lacks mobility too. Brock Oswiler is a much better athlete, yes? I think ranking him so high is a huge projection, sure he could have a breakout season but he could just as easily fall flat on his face.

ElectricEye
05-03-2012, 04:19 PM
Not to rain on the Bray parade but does he have any production against good competition at all? He's been hurt for most SEC games and 12 of his 35 career TD passes have come against Montana, Memphis and Buffalo. He had a 6-6 TD/INT ratio last season against SEC competition with a completion % of under 50... He makes some questionable decisions and lacks mobility too. Brock Oswiler is a much better athlete, yes? I think ranking him so high is a huge projection, sure he could have a breakout season but he could just as easily fall flat on his face.

Yeah, those are extremely valid points that have been brought up before, just not in this particular thread. I don't think he's proved enough to pencil him in as a top quarterback for next years draft, but I like his talent quite a bit. I'm not sure I would agree that he could "just as easily" fall flat on his face, but it's possible he disappoints this year relative to the expectations people are setting for him. So yeah, there's a fair bit of projection involved. That said, the I feel like his talent level is obvious. Between that and the receiving core Tennessee has this year, he really has a good chance to establish himself as a top quarterback.

Matthew Jones
05-03-2012, 04:25 PM
Right now I'd say that Matt Barkley, Aaron Murray, and Logan Thomas are in the top tier of quarterback prospects, with Tyler Bray, Landry Jones, and Tyler Wilson in the second tier (all three need to clean up their footwork.) E.J. Manuel and Geno Smith are in the tier after those guys. Who else am I forgetting?

San Diego Chicken
05-03-2012, 04:26 PM
Yeah, those are extremely valid points that have been brought up before, just not in this particular thread. I don't think he's proved enough to pencil him in as a top quarterback for next years draft, but I like his talent quite a bit. I'm not sure I would agree that he could "just as easily" fall flat on his face, but it's possible he disappoints this year relative to the expectations people are setting for him. So yeah, there's a fair bit of projection involved. That said, the I feel like his talent level is obvious. Between that and the receiving core Tennessee has this year, he really has a good chance to establish himself as a top quarterback.

Ok good as long as we're not getting carried away but I did read the QB rankings thread and was kinda shocked at how many people had Bray #2 or even #1. If it's just a projection cool but based on what we know today? Can't buy that at all.

TACKLE
05-03-2012, 04:45 PM
Negatives:

• Can get too aggressive with the ball and needs to throw it away more often

Honestly, I think his aggressiveness is one of his biggest strength. He doesn't get gun shy or shrink vs. pressure. He's never afraid to challenge tough SEC defenses regardless if he's up or down. I think that confidence is essential for young QB's in the league. At very least, it's a refreshing contrast to the guy who was taken #1 overall this year.

ElectricEye
05-03-2012, 04:54 PM
Right now I'd say that Matt Barkley, Aaron Murray, and Logan Thomas are in the top tier of quarterback prospects, with Tyler Bray, Landry Jones, and Tyler Wilson in the second tier (all three need to clean up their footwork.) E.J. Manuel and Geno Smith are in the tier after those guys. Who else am I forgetting?

There's some other interesting names out there, but that's about it as far concrete, top of the class guys.

I'm not buying Logan Thomas and Murray as top tier quarterbacks. I caught most of Thomas' games down the stretch and it looked like he had a long way to go. He has the physical tools, but it was all very simple, vanilla throws. His production on the year wasn't out of this world either, especially with that in mind. I really think people are overrating him a bit based on the success of Cam Newton.

Height is going to be as a solid of a knock as there is on Aaron Murray. There's also some concerns about his accuracy...but it really comes down to height. Fair or not, you have be be rare to cut in in this league as a starter at 5'11-6'0, let alone to be picked in the first round. Murray has certainly been productive, but I'm not ready to put him in that category yet.

Honestly, I think his aggressiveness is one of his biggest strength. He doesn't get gun shy or shrink vs. pressure. He's never afraid to challenge tough SEC defenses regardless if he's up or down. I think that confidence is essential for young QB's in the league. At very least, it's a refreshing contrast to the guy who was taken #1 overall this year.

Yeah, I agree. There's a balancing act Bray can end up on the wrong side of from time to time, but more often than not his willingness to drive the ball helps him.

JaxJag_1
05-03-2012, 05:12 PM
I must be one of the only people that doesn't see it in Aaron Murray.

Bray >>> Murray, in my opinion.

Leon Sandcastle
05-03-2012, 05:31 PM
What are the odds that any of these guys declare?

Brent
05-03-2012, 05:34 PM
No, I don't see it either.

thebow305
05-03-2012, 05:41 PM
I am also firmly on the Justin Hunter bandwagon.

I love him every bit as much as Woods and Allen this year, maybe even more...

Definitely a LOT of Randy Moss in that guy, JMO.

CashmoneyDrew
05-03-2012, 05:46 PM
What are the odds that any of these guys declare?

I'd say pretty high for Justin Hunter and Da'Rick Rogers.
For Bray it really depends on a lot of things such as the season he has, and the types of seasons the other QBs have as well.
I'd say Ja'Wuan James and CP coming out are fairly low odds, though.

Pit Bull #53
05-03-2012, 06:03 PM
I'd say Da'Rick is the most likely to declare early. In fact, I'd be VERY surprised if he's back after this year.

As a fan, I'm more anxious for the start of this year than any I can remember in several years. This team has a ton of potential, but that's just it - it's mostly projection right now. They also have a ton of significant question marks and have been known to underachieve against their top competition. What they all need to do is have productive, healthy seasons, and show up against UGA, UF, Bama, and SCAR.

There's some real potential on defense as well. Maggitt, AJ Johnson, Jacques Smith to name a few. Maggitt and Johnson already look primed to be major players after last season. Smith needs to shake the "Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane" label. He should be a freak pass rusher with his tools, but that remains to be seen. Those guys aren't 2013 prospects though.

TACKLE
05-03-2012, 06:10 PM
Da'Rick needs more love. He has Dwayne Bowe written all over him with a little bit of Greg Little mixed in.

marshallb
05-03-2012, 07:53 PM

Bray >>> Murray, in my opinion.

No, you're not alone in that. I don't see it in Murray, either.

Roddoliver
05-03-2012, 07:57 PM
Creative parents.

jojo
05-03-2012, 08:00 PM
If the past means anything: It's the guys you don't see coming....

Denarius Moore, WR, Raiders. Came out of nowhere, 5th round pick in2011. Tore up the Raiders camp, was awesome in game after game after game.

Averaged almost 19 yds/catch!!!

holt_bruce81
05-03-2012, 08:08 PM
I'm in on the Tyler Bray love as well. He's my #1 rated Quarterback right now.

DoughBoy
05-03-2012, 08:16 PM
Rodgers has every single physical tool in the book...but he dates fat chicks.

Ozzy
05-03-2012, 08:18 PM
It will be interesting to see how Justin Hunter comes back from his injury. He has potential to be the 1st receiver taken in the draft if he plays up to his ability. But if not one could argue his teammate Rogers is a better player.

Leon Sandcastle
05-06-2012, 12:37 PM
Rodgers has every single physical tool in the book...but he dates fat chicks.

Post is useless with out pics. Lol.

marshallb
05-06-2012, 01:00 PM
Post is useless with out pics. Lol.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs050.ash2/35838_136810746347799_100000566238393_267473_96803 _n.jpg

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/11/2010/07/darickladybite.jpg

Leon Sandcastle
05-06-2012, 01:02 PM
LMFAO! I don't like his taste. 3rd Round Grade.