PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Teams in 2013

bigbluedefense
05-05-2012, 04:08 PM
Well, now that the draft is over, let's predict who makes it to the playoffs this year.

It's like clockwork every year, there's typically 6 new playoff teams every year. So with that in mind, who's your 12 playoff teams?

AFC
New England
Buffalo
Pittsburgh
Denver
Houston
Kansas City

NFC
Green Bay
Chicago
Seattle
Tampa Bay
New York
Philadelphia

Call me crazy but I think the 49ers miss the playoffs. For 2 reasons.

1. They had an inordinate amount of turnovers on defense. That turnover ratio won't happen again.

2. I see them trying to transition to a more explosive offense. Randy Moss, Mario Manningham, Jenkins, LaMichael James, they just seem like they want more explosion on offense. Here's the problem with that: You need a qb who can make it work. And I do not think Alex Smith is that guy. I fear that they'll shy away from the running mentality they had this year and try to air it out more, and I think they'll fail at it.

Also, it's tough for new coaches to succeed in their 2nd year. You can get by with smoke and mirrors in your first year, nobody knows your style or your tendencies. But then in year 2, they figure it out. Now it's time to adjust.

I also think Seattle is has the pieces to steal the division. Arizona would have a chance if their qb situation wasn't so awful.

Raiderz4Life
05-05-2012, 04:13 PM
You think Denver wins the AFCW with Manning?

I would maybe put an asterisk next to them because who knows how fragile Manning is at this point. If he gets knocked out they're done.

bigbluedefense
05-05-2012, 04:16 PM

I would maybe put an asterisk next to them because who knows how fragile Manning is at this point. If he gets knocked out they're done.

He's basically the only reason why I have them winning the west. I agree, if he goes down they're done, but I'm gonna gamble on him being healthy.

Kansas City has everything but the quarterback. They have the secondary, the LB core, the dline, the oline, the run game, good enough WR core, they have it all, but that damn qb is holding them back.

Having that said, I think the Jets miss out bc of that circus they have going on, and I think Baltimore misses out bc they're getting older, Sugg's injury, plus their coordinators suck and they have no WRs and Flacco isn't going to elevate his game.

So when I look at that logjam of mediocrity in the middle of the conference, I'm gonna guess that KC can overcome Cassel and steal a wildcard spot.

Splat
05-05-2012, 04:19 PM

The won it last year with out him. You add Manning and they are easily the favorites.

The Alex
05-05-2012, 04:21 PM
AFC

North: Baltimore
South: Houston
East: Buffalo
West: Denver
Wild Card: Tennessee
Wild Card: Kansas City

NFC

North: Green Bay
South: Atlanta
East: Philadelphia
West: Seattle
Wild Card: Detroit
Wild Card: New York

Card subject to change.

SuperPacker
05-05-2012, 04:23 PM
AFC
1. New England Patriots
2. Kansas City Chiefs
3. Houston Texans
4. Cincinnati Bengals
5. Denver Broncos
6. Buffalo Bills

NFC
1. Green Bay Packers
2. Philadelphia Eagles
3. San Francisco 49ers
4. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
5. Chicago Bears
6. Dallas Cowboys

Yes, i'm crazy...But this is what i think will happen.

WCH
05-05-2012, 04:23 PM
I think that people are going to be surprised by good Matt Flynn isn't, which is why I wouldn't pick Seattle to win their division.

It's not a vote of confidence when they draft Wilson in the 3rd and insist that T-Jack, of all people, could win the starting job.

Raiderz4Life
05-05-2012, 04:24 PM
He's basically the only reason why I have them winning the west. I agree, if he goes down they're done, but I'm gonna gamble on him being healthy.

Kansas City has everything but the quarterback. They have the secondary, the LB core, the dline, the oline, the run game, good enough WR core, they have it all, but that damn qb is holding them back.

Having that said, I think the Jets miss out bc of that circus they have going on, and I think Baltimore misses out bc they're getting older, Sugg's injury, plus their coordinators suck and they have no WRs and Flacco isn't going to elevate his game.

So when I look at that logjam of mediocrity in the middle of the conference, I'm gonna guess that KC can overcome Cassel and steal a wildcard spot.

So sad about Balti. The Jets are pretty meh too. I agree with everything really. I mean if all else fails
http://gridironexperts.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Broncos_Brock_Osweiler_1.jpg

The Alex
05-05-2012, 04:26 PM
So sad about Balti. The Jets are pretty meh too. I agree with everything really. I mean if all else fails
http://gridironexperts.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Broncos_Brock_Osweiler_1.jpg

I just realized Elway's face looks kinda like Hank.

http://media.nj.com/entertainment_impact_tv/photo/breaking-bad-sunsetjpg-7e8b5d31ee5273e5_large.jpg

bigbluedefense
05-05-2012, 04:27 PM
I really like the direction Buffalo is going in.

I'm also a big Schiano fan (duh, Rutgers alum here) and I think he'll take that young promising team and develop them this year. The NFC South is wide open. I think the Saints won't be able to overcome so much adversity, I think Carolina is still a ways to go on defense, and I think Atlanta is gonna fail at trying to be more of a passing team under Matt Ryan's arm. So I think Tampa could snatch up the division in a very close 3 team race btw them, Atlanta, and Carolina.

Raiderz4Life
05-05-2012, 04:28 PM
I think NOLA has a shot to take the division. Not a great one but really I think at this point that's ATL division to lose.

SuperPacker
05-05-2012, 04:30 PM
BBD, you like Tampa as well. I'm not crazy after all!

The Alex
05-05-2012, 04:30 PM
I really like the direction Buffalo is going in.

I'm also a big Schiano fan (duh, Rutgers alum here) and I think he'll take that young promising team and develop them this year. The NFC South is wide open. I think the Saints won't be able to overcome so much adversity, I think Carolina is still a ways to go on defense, and I think Atlanta is gonna fail at trying to be more of a passing team under Matt Ryan's arm. So I think Tampa could snatch up the division in a very close 3 team race btw them, Atlanta, and Carolina.

I agree. There is a chance nobody in the NFC South finishes below .500. I'm taking Atlanta just because I'm higher on Matt Ryan than most people. Tampa is going to bounce back and Carolina is a threat as long as Newton continues his development. New Orleans I think will be no better than 9-7 because of the turmoil going on there.

bigbluedefense
05-05-2012, 04:31 PM
It really depends on Josh Freeman. I like Tampa's dline, and Schiano is gonna get that defense playing well, I like their oline, run game, and WR core. They're a talented team. They just need someone who can direct them. And Schiano is that guy.

And most importantly, Freeman has to step up.

SuperMcGee
05-05-2012, 04:32 PM
I think the schedule is right for us to have a chance at making it. I still have concerns over the passing game, but I think Fitz and Gailey have enough in them to get us there.

Dangermouse
05-05-2012, 04:32 PM
AFC
1 New England
2 Houston
3 Cincinnati
4 Kansas City
5 Pittsburgh
6 Baltimore

NFC
1 Philadelphia
2 Detroit
3 Arizona
4 Tampa
5 Green Bay
6 Chicago

bal at CIN
PIT at kc
GB at tb
chi at ARI

pit at NE
CIN at hou
GB at phi
ari at DET

cin at NE
gb at DET

Superbowl 47
Patriots over Lions

The Alex
05-05-2012, 04:33 PM
Freeman was boss in 2010, I don't think it was a Matt Cassel-esque fluke but I can't really be certain.

SuperPacker
05-05-2012, 04:35 PM
Here why i like Tampa Bay.

- Josh Freeman looks sexy and should be back to his 2010 form because of it.
- Doug Martin gives him a legitimate runner, who can be an every down back.
- Their defense was terrible last year, but they got two studs who will contribute straight away.
- Vincent Jackson and Cark Nicks.
- Their division sucks right now.

Raiderz4Life
05-05-2012, 04:36 PM
I'll still take ATL over TB right now. I like Ryan more than I like Freeman tbh.

bigbluedefense
05-05-2012, 04:37 PM
Atlanta just doesn't have enough playmakers for me to be sold on them.

The Alex
05-05-2012, 04:40 PM
I'm higher on Roddy White than most people. Speaking of which, I need to go post my top 5 in that thread...

bigbluedefense
05-05-2012, 04:43 PM
I'm fine with White. The problem is that whole team is just so bland. They lack talent, they're a team loaded with JAGs across the board.

When I think playmakers, I see White, Jones, and Samuel as the only 3 guys on the team that have playmaking ability. Who else? They lack pass rushers, they lost Lofton and Spoon is good but not Willis/Bowman good, and Ryan isn't the type of qb who can really just pick you to pieces.

I just don't see it with them.

Bulldogs
05-05-2012, 04:49 PM
AFC

North: Baltimore
East: New England
Wild Card: Pittsburgh

NFC

South: Atlanta
East: Philadelphia
West: San Francisco
Wild Card: Chicago

Raiderz4Life
05-05-2012, 04:49 PM
Turner rly needs to be replaced. He's so slow now

Bulldogs
05-05-2012, 04:51 PM
Turner rly needs to be replaced. He's so slow now

Jacquizz Rodgers will play a bigger role this year. Dirk Koetter has experience with Maurice Jones-Drew and while I don't think Rodgers will be that type of player he will be far better utilized in the offense now. He looked real good at times last season.

ChiFan24
05-05-2012, 04:52 PM
I haven't really looked into it enough to make an official prediction. The Bears added Marshall and have one of the easiest schedules in the league, so I'd be a little surprised if they didn't grab the first wild card. Packers should coast as well. I'd probably give the Lions the edge for the #6 seed, even though I expect them to regress.

I've also been thinking Seattle over San Francisco in the west, but I'm not sold on that offense at all. San Fran will definitely regress though. The south seems like a complete crapshoot to me that will be decided by a few bounces. Tampa Bay is going in the right direction, but they worry me. I don't think Cam can repeat his 2011. I hate Atlanta, but I don't know what's to step them from grabbing a 3 seed and getting bounced in round 1 again.

NFC:
1. Packers
2. Giants - 2008-esque regular season swag
3. Falcons
4. Seahawks
5. Bears
6. Eagles - changed my mind. **** Detroit.

I'll think about the AFC later

Bixby (Thumper)
05-05-2012, 04:57 PM
NFC:
Philadelphia
Dallas
Chicago
Green Bay
Carolina Panthers
Seattle Seahawks

AFC:
New England Patriots
Buffalo Bills
New York Jets
Baltimore Ravens
Houston Texans
Kansas City Chiefs

bigbluedefense
05-05-2012, 04:57 PM
I can't wait to see Houston this year. That defense should be so good. Watt is a beast, I love them getting Crick, great OLB rotation, Joseph is a stud CB.

Along with a great run game and Andre Johnson, that should be a fun team to watch this year.

The Alex
05-05-2012, 05:01 PM
I'm fine with White. The problem is that whole team is just so bland. They lack talent, they're a team loaded with JAGs across the board.

When I think playmakers, I see White, Jones, and Samuel as the only 3 guys on the team that have playmaking ability. Who else? They lack pass rushers, they lost Lofton and Spoon is good but not Willis/Bowman good, and Ryan isn't the type of qb who can really just pick you to pieces.

I just don't see it with them.

http://www.falconsgab.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Rodgers.jpg

He has two Z's in his name. He's going to destroy the league based on that fact alone.

Raiderz4Life
05-05-2012, 05:05 PM
I like Quizz...he's pretty beast. Sometimes its tough to root for the dirty birds though.

I love ATL's tantrums when they **** up lol

phlysac
05-05-2012, 05:10 PM
As a 49ers' fan I understand the likelihood of fewer wins in 2012. With that said, I'm excited to see what the team looks like with more than 40% of the offense and 60% of the defense installed!

Bulldogs
05-05-2012, 05:11 PM
As a 49ers' fan I understand the likelihood of fewer wins in 2012. With that said, I'm excited to see what the team looks like with more than 40% of the offense and 60% of the defense installed!

I still see the 49ers winning 10-11 games but you never know in the NFL. I can't wait to see Randy Moss again.

Scotty D
05-05-2012, 05:18 PM
NFC
1. GB
2. Dal
3. SF
4. NO
5. NYG
6. Det

AFC

1. NE
2. BAL
3. DEN
4. HOU
5. CIN
6. TEN

Raiderz4Life
05-05-2012, 05:20 PM
You will all see...Rusty Knob will lead the Raiders into the playoffs!!

vidae
05-05-2012, 05:39 PM
Josh Freeman still might be the most overrated player in the entire NFL on these boards.

SuperPacker
05-05-2012, 05:40 PM
Josh Freeman still might be the most overrated player in the entire NFL on these boards.

But he's sexy as ****!

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j180/JJcoolL_2006/Screenshot2012-04-20at51818PM.png

Bixby (Thumper)
05-05-2012, 05:51 PM

I think that team is going to be a train wreck. For starters, Greg Schiano is the coach. And Vincent Jackson, Aqib Talib, Eric Wright, LaGarette Blount, Mike Williams and Kellen Winslow are all on the same roster.... :oh: #DisasterWrittenAllOverIt Maybe I'd care less about that if they had a coach who could manage them but Greg Schiano has been coaching teenagers for a vast majority of his career.

I do like that additions of Barron, Wilson, David, Okoye and Nicks however.

bigbluedefense
05-05-2012, 05:54 PM
Talib won't last long in Tampa. He's probably going to jail before the season starts.

Blount is getting replaced by Martin. Schiano is a man's man and he won't put up with ********. He'll do just fine in Tampa.

Sloopy
05-05-2012, 06:18 PM
I think Baltimore misses out bc they're getting older, Sugg's injury, plus their coordinators suck and they have no WRs and Flacco isn't going to elevate his game.

Could be a bunch of homer but I think that while Suggs injury will definitely hurt us:

1. We still have yet to see what Kruger/Kindle can do in full time roles and Upshaw will add a bit of pass rush.

2. We may be getting older in some areas but in others we are young and talented (looking at you CB corps)

3. We fought through Cam's incompetence last year and still made it out okay. The defense might be a bit Vanilla but it doesn't change the fact that there are still playmakers on that unit.

On the other hand the Steelers should be stronger next year.

I still think the Bengals are a bit overrated. They won a lot of games last year, but those wins came against some inferior opponents, and failed to win any games against the Steelers or Ravens and I doubt they can win the division without at least splitting with those guys, although more likely one would have to win at least 3 out of 4 of those match-ups

AFC:
North - Steelers
East - New England
South - Houston
West - Denver
WC - Baltimore
WC - Kansas City

NFC:
North - Green Bay
East - New York
South - Tampa Bay
West - St. Louis
WC - Detroit
WC - Chicago

Shane P. Hallam
05-05-2012, 06:32 PM
North - Steelers
East - New England
South - Houston
West - Chiefs
WC - Broncos
WC - Ravens

North - Chicago
East - Philly
South - Atlanta
West - Seattle
WC - Green Bay
WC - Cowboys

Very rough, but 5 new playoff teams (I believe the average is about 5.5). And one team goes worst to first in division (happens every year, went with KC, though I feel Carolina is a decent candidate).

Teams very tough to leave off:
-Bengals
-Saints
-Giants

Not that I think Bountygate will cross the Saints off, but I'm not OVERLY impressed with their roster outside of Brees. That may be enough though.

Bengals are moving in the right direction, just need one more year of Dalton before I 100% buy-in.

Giants, SB hangover? They have an explosive offense and great pass rush, very very tough to leave them off. But to get to 5 new teams, I just see it as a potential scenario. Don't LOVE the Eagles/Cowboys, but I do feel they can compete with the Giants in the very least if healthy.

NFC's probably the weirdest for me. I think SF takes a step back, and that division still reeks of fair incompetence. Seattle gets the best of the rest to win the division. I ALWAYS hate on Chicago, but they seem to be built to win this year and if GB/DET have a few injuries, I think the Bears could squeak out a division win.

Bucs_Rule
05-05-2012, 08:05 PM
Talib won't last long in Tampa. He's probably going to jail before the season starts.

Blount is getting replaced by Martin. Schiano is a man's man and he won't put up with ********. He'll do just fine in Tampa.

I still can't believe the team passed on Claiborne.

The team will be better, I doubt they'll go from being the worst team in the NFL in the second half of the season to a playoff team. 7-9 wins.

Blackluck
05-05-2012, 08:33 PM
AFC
New England
Pittsburgh
Houston
KC
Denver
Cincy

NFC
Eagles
GB
ATL
SF
Seattle
Detroit

I think the Texans are the team to beat in the AFC. Even though I'm a NE fan our defense will still be a problem. Pittsburgh absolutley nailed their draft, so they're in the mix. I thought Dean Pees would be the Ravens doom, but Suggs going down is all but the proverbial nail. It'll be close between KC and Denver. Bills are tough; even though they're in our division I'd like to see them in a playoff hunt; injuries are usually their downfall as they lack depth (don't know if that's still true) so for right now giving the edge to the Bengals.

I have no real idea about the NFC, much better teams there.

49erNation85
05-05-2012, 09:21 PM
NFC
Packers
49ers
Dallas
Eagles
Lions
AFC
NE
Broncos
Houston
Steelers
KC

I'm basically picking almost everyone from last season only because the other teams who miss the play offs year in year out haven't done well in either FA or the draft and will maybe make the play offs some year by a chance.

Sucks that some of you have Seattle winning out, or AZ for the that matter.Really surprising since the 49ers have their defense still in tack from last season with adding some great talent in FA/Draft and should dominate the NFC west and easily win out.

On the AFC side of the ball It will be hard to see who runs the table there it will come down to NE and Pitt who have the best team IMO. Denver barely makes it again unless Manning comes back on fire and wins the north which he just might. All Denver has need now was a QB and the went and got Manning hopefully for them he lives up to the hype.

Super bowl

SF vs Broncos .... Would be a good battle.

Flyboy
05-05-2012, 09:28 PM
Lawlz. People are underrating the Saints criminally. I love it.

Bulldogs
05-05-2012, 09:33 PM
NFC
Packers
49ers
Dallas
Eagles
Lions
AFC
NE
Broncos
Houston
Steelers
KC

I'm basically picking almost everyone from last season only because the other teams who miss the play offs year in year out haven't done well in either FA or the draft and will maybe make the play offs some year by a chance.

Sucks that some of you have Seattle winning out, or AZ for the that matter.Really surprising since the 49ers have their defense still in tack from last season with adding some great talent in FA/Draft and should dominate the NFC west and easily win out.

On the AFC side of the ball It will be hard to see who runs the table there it will come down to NE and Pitt who have the best team IMO. Denver barely makes it again unless Manning comes back on fire and wins the north which he just might. All Denver has need now was a QB and the went and got Manning hopefully for them he lives up to the hype.

Super bowl

You only picked five teams per conference. I don't understand.

Auron
05-05-2012, 09:34 PM

Well I'm confident in our roster, as of now. However I'm not sure how this season will play out with all the distractions, and coaching staff changes.

I do think we'll struggle a bit at first adjusting to the Coaching changes, and player suspensions. We have some unproven DEs that need to step up, also don't forget we don't have Brees locked up to a long term deal yet, so I'm wary that he's going to be unhappy coming into the season.

Maybe we play ticked off with something to prove, and steamroll teams but I could also see Atlanta, and Tampa jumping ahead of us. The opposing NFC South teams have all improved their teams this off-season at least IMO. Could go either way.

VAfy-ya
05-05-2012, 09:45 PM
Well, now that the draft is over, let's predict who makes it to the playoffs this year.

It's like clockwork every year, there's typically 6 new playoff teams every year. So with that in mind, who's your 12 playoff teams?

AFC
New England
Buffalo
Pittsburgh
Denver
Houston
Kansas City

NFC
Green Bay
Chicago
Seattle
Tampa Bay
New York
Philadelphia

Call me crazy but I think the 49ers miss the playoffs. For 2 reasons.

1. They had an inordinate amount of turnovers on defense. That turnover ratio won't happen again.

2. I see them trying to transition to a more explosive offense. Randy Moss, Mario Manningham, Jenkins, LaMichael James, they just seem like they want more explosion on offense. Here's the problem with that: You need a qb who can make it work. And I do not think Alex Smith is that guy. I fear that they'll shy away from the running mentality they had this year and try to air it out more, and I think they'll fail at it.

Also, it's tough for new coaches to succeed in their 2nd year. You can get by with smoke and mirrors in your first year, nobody knows your style or your tendencies. But then in year 2, they figure it out. Now it's time to adjust.

I also think Seattle is has the pieces to steal the division. Arizona would have a chance if their qb situation wasn't so awful.

Talent was never the question before Jimbaugh got there. Its was always the coaching/FO that was holding us back. We're not going to change who we are because we decided to upgrade our WR corps. Jimbaugh is a Michigan alum. Played for Bo, a man which he has gone on record as saying has greatly infleunced him, from a philosophical standpoint . That's as much a part of his make-up as the WCO. He believes in physicality in the trenches and power running. Those things will still be the cornerstone of the offense. But we couldn't continue to keep grinding out games with defense, field position, and field goals. We needed to gain some more explosive elements on the outside. We had to create some match-up problems for defenses outside of our TEs.

The one thing your forgeting is the lock-out probably hindered us more than most ppl realize. We didnt have alot of our offense and defense installed. A full off-season to touch on the finer points of the scheme on both sides of the ball should only help us. Alex can only get better, the more tutledge he receives from Jimbaugh. Your right, our defense probably wont create that many turnovers again but they will be even better as a whole. We return all 11 starters from a unit that was in their first year in Fangio's scheme. We have playmakers everywhere on that side of the ball and they will continue to make plays. They will be better. We wont go 13-3 again. Our schedule is much tougher but I see us being a better overall team than last year's bunch. I see us and Seattle both making the playoffs.

Brothgar
05-05-2012, 09:50 PM
As of right now

AFC
New England
Houston
Denver
Pittsburgh
Buffalo
Cincinnati

NFC
Eagles
49ers
Lions
Packers
Bears
Bucs

New playoffs in bold.

nobodyinparticular
05-05-2012, 10:51 PM
You only picked five teams per conference. I don't understand.

That's the only thing you don't understand from thawt post? I'm impressed.

The previous post seems like just a cluster of words that were half digested and then barfed onto the internet.

The Alex
05-06-2012, 03:00 AM
NFC
Packers
49ers
Dallas
Eagles
Lions
AFC
NE
Broncos
Houston
Steelers
KC

Super bowl

http://i50.tinypic.com/1zbt1y8.jpg

MidwayMonster31
05-06-2012, 03:09 AM
NFC (Bold indicates new team)
Packers
49ers
Panthers
Eagles
Bears
Cowboys

AFC
Patriots
Texans
Chiefs
Steelers
Broncos
Ravens

wicket
05-06-2012, 04:01 AM

Ive never been as confident of reaching the playoffs as i am this season. IMO this is the best saints team ever talentwise

Caddy
05-06-2012, 04:22 AM

:gtfo::gtfo::gtfo::gtfo::gtfo::gtfo:

irishbucsfan
05-06-2012, 07:55 AM
Preach it Caddy!

http://thepewterplank.com/files/2011/02/c4s_freeman091210_139458d.jpg

NorrinRadd12
05-06-2012, 09:19 AM
NFC East- Giants
NFC South- Panthers
NFC North- Lions
NFC West- 49ers
Wild Card- Packers
Wild Card- Eagles

AFC East- Patriots
AFC South- Texans
AFC North- Ravens
AFC West- Broncos
Wild Card- Jets
Wild Card- Chargers

Bert Macklin
05-06-2012, 09:29 AM
Yeah don't count us out

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w118/vangyjo/The-Avengers.jpg

OSUGiants17
05-06-2012, 10:01 AM
NFC:
1. 49ers
2. Packers
3. Eagles
4. Buccaneers
5. Bears
6. Giants

AFC:
1. Texans
2. Patriots
3. Steelers
4. Broncos
5. Bengals
6. Chiefs

Baltimore, Tennessee, Detroit, New Orleans and Atlanta all barely miss out and ends up picking 16-20 in the draft.

bigbluedefense
05-06-2012, 10:13 AM

No one questions your talent. But it's going to be extremely difficult to overcome not having a HC for the whole season. I don't want to hear about the interim coach. Nobody respects an interim boss. In any walk of life, the interim boss is just a space eater.

I think the Giants are getting underrated. Half the people here don't have us making the playoffs.

Bert Macklin
05-06-2012, 10:24 AM
No one questions your talent. But it's going to be extremely difficult to overcome not having a HC for the whole season. I don't want to hear about the interim coach. Nobody respects an interim boss. In any walk of life, the interim boss is just a space eater.

I think the Giants are getting underrated. Half the people here don't have us making the playoffs.

Dude this is like the Vice President taking over for the Presidet. And if you think our guys don't respect Vitt and Kromer you're way off.

Also most don't have y'all making the playoffs because y'all back into the playoffs almost every year.

wicket
05-06-2012, 10:35 AM

I really doubt that there will be much of a leadership void on offense, if only because of Brees. The defense has a new DC and he is the sole boss of the defense anyway so im not that bothered about that either.

Sloopy
05-06-2012, 10:43 AM
Interesting the # of people who have Cincinnati making it back. I'm not saying you should have Baltimore in over them so let's not go into the homer argument.

However, I think Cinci is probably the most likely team to not make a return. All of their wins last year came against inferior opponents and failed to get a single win against the two powerhouses in the division.

With a harder schedule this year, they may have trouble breaking .500 much less making the playoffs

NYJ
ATL
GB
IND
BAL
CLE
WAS
JAC
MIA
CLE
PIT
DEN
NYG
KC
OAK
SD
DAL
PHI
PIT
BAL

Bold is what I will call "likely wins". If they can win 1 or 2 of the questionable games (this is generous as they really only won "should win" games last year) they will just break .500

bigbluedefense
05-06-2012, 10:47 AM
Its not that simple. The distractions alone, all the questions about bounty gate all season long, the atmosphere is going to be completely different. It's not just about talent. It's not going to be easy focusing solely on your opponent every week with so much going on around you.

wicket
05-06-2012, 11:32 AM
Its not that simple. The distractions alone, all the questions about bounty gate all season long, the atmosphere is going to be completely different. It's not just about talent. It's not going to be easy focusing solely on your opponent every week with so much going on around you.

I think it helps to be honest, it shoudl be an "us against the world" type of thing. I guess that can fall 2 ways but i actually think the saints will be better due to the mess and not worse

Auron
05-06-2012, 12:08 PM
That remains to be seen, even if the Coaching staff is not an issue there are other questions that linger.

How will the O-line adjust to losing our most physical Linemen (Nicks), Grubbs has a great track record but how fast will he gel into our system? Will Brees miss most of training camp, and will he even get the long term contract he's been wanting, and deserves. This is growing to be a bigger issue every day it goes unresolved.

Still have some issues on Defense, we have a bunch of unproven DEs, will any of them step up, because Will Smith will be suspended 4 games again. We lost Vilma for the season, we got Lofton though so that softens that blow, but we're also going to have an entirely new LB corps. Oh and Roman Harper is still back there playing Safety, I like his physicality but unless he greatly improved his coverage skills QBs will test him all year in coverage again.

I'm not saying that we'll suck, but I wouldn't be surprised if we dropped to an 8-8, 9-7 type season that might not be enough to make the playoffs. Mainly because the rest of the NFC South seems have made big strides in improving their teams, even Carolina looks a lot more dangerous.

I think it's either this bountygate thing was blown out of proportion and we do really well, or there will be some kind of letdown from all the fallout. It's way too hard to tell.

Brodeur
05-06-2012, 12:41 PM
AFC:
East: New England
North: Cincinnati
WC: Pittsburgh
WC: Tennessee

NFC:
East: Dallas
South: Carolina
West: San Francisco
WC: Detroit
WC: Seattle

nobodyinparticular
05-06-2012, 01:32 PM
I see almost everyone has the Broncos in the playoffs--either from the West or as a Wild Card. I know this is to be expected consider the big splashes in the offseason, but I just can't say they will be that good with any degree of certainty.

The AFC West is still a massive cluster of **** with way more question marks than answers. I'd be very concerned about the ability of the Broncos to run the ball with Tebow out and McGahee's history. Keep in mind McGahee hadn't put in a solid season for 4 years. And that defense? Will it be able to perform well moving forward?

The Chiefs have a ton of players coming back from major injuries, but they are full of game breakers. I just really don't like their QB at all. I think they may have the best chance of knocking the Broncos out of the West if they can just overcome a bad QB.

Shane P. Hallam
05-06-2012, 01:34 PM
I see almost everyone has the Broncos in the playoffs--either from the West or as a Wild Card. I know this is to be expected consider the big splashes in the offseason, but I just can't say they will be that good with any degree of certainty.

The AFC West is still a massive cluster of **** with way more question marks than answers. I'd be very concerned about the ability of the Broncos to run the ball with Tebow out and McGahee's history. Keep in mind McGahee hadn't put in a solid season for 4 years. And that defense? Will it be able to perform well moving forward?

The Chiefs have a ton of players coming back from major injuries, but they are full of game breakers. I just really don't like their QB at all. I think they may have the best chance of knocking the Broncos out of the West if they can just overcome a bad QB.

I think you see Ronnie Hillman carry some of the rock. Peyton Manning hasn't shown any sign of not being effective yet. It is difficult to think now will be that time. 9-10 wins seems pretty solid.

nobodyinparticular
05-06-2012, 02:19 PM
I think you see Ronnie Hillman carry some of the rock. Peyton Manning hasn't shown any sign of not being effective yet. It is difficult to think now will be that time. 9-10 wins seems pretty solid.

Only that he missed an entire season, had about a dozen surgeries, has seen his yards per attempt drop a full yard, turned 36 a month ago and saw his career in jeopardy. But we should expect vintage Peyton with the Broncos.

And Ronnie Hillman? Don't get me wrong, he's an okay prospect, but if the success of the Broncos hinges on him being able to take the load that McGahee and Tebow shared last year, Denver is in more trouble than I thought.

farfromforgotten
05-06-2012, 02:37 PM
AFC East - New England (as long as Tom Brady is Tom Brady this is an easy pick)

AFC North - Baltimore (or Pittsburgh, flip a coin... one is division champ, other is WC. I like what Cincinnati is doing. Guess I just have to see it again)

AFC South - Tennessee (there are surprises every year, I'll pick this as one of them. I think Houston is the better team, but that doesn't always matter)

AFC West - Denver (no reason to not pick them. I stopped picking SD years ago. All the "experts" love to pick SD to win this division every year. Lol. At least they can pick the Broncos for a couple years now. I'm a fan of KC's talent... but I just don't see it leading them to a division title)

WC - Baltimore
WC- NY Jets

NFC East - New York (I've got love for ya Giants fans. Wasn't impressed with the "dream team" last year. Still not impressed with them this year.)

NFC North - Green Bay (love this division. Chicago is a good team, but that only gets them 3rd place in this division...)

NFC South - New Orleans (I've got love for the Saints fans as well. Atlanta is #2 for me. Carolina is on the rise. Don't believe that the Bucs are really all that much better.)

NFC West - San Francisco (we don't go 13-3 this year, but we are still better than anyone else in this division. Yes, even with "game managing" Alex Smith still at QB. Because Flynn, Bradford, and Kolb are soooo much better than him. Lol. We do have to improve some on offense (and I believe we will) because Seattle is a solid team, St. Louis will be a team to watch out for in the near future, and Arizona has a good core of players as well. If only you guys had a game manager at QB like us you might be able to win this division.)

WC - Atlanta
WC - Detroit

Shane P. Hallam
05-06-2012, 02:57 PM
Only that he missed an entire season, had about a dozen surgeries, has seen his yards per attempt drop a full yard, turned 36 a month ago and saw his career in jeopardy. But we should expect vintage Peyton with the Broncos.

And Ronnie Hillman? Don't get me wrong, he's an okay prospect, but if the success of the Broncos hinges on him being able to take the load that McGahee and Tebow shared last year, Denver is in more trouble than I thought.

It'll be a split between McGahee/Hillman with Lance Ball tossed in I imagine.

asdf1223
05-06-2012, 03:48 PM
I just don't see how Seattle overtakes SF this year. And I say this as a blatant Seahawks homer, Niner hater and former Bay area resident. The 49ers seriously upgraded their offensive talent, bring all of their defense back and have no lockout to worry about.

All the Seahawks did was make a slight upgrade at QB (which is what most of the rational franchise thinks Flynn is) and add a couple of 3rd down pass rushers(Bruce Irvin, Jason Jones). Just don't see how that makes up for the vast talent level difference even if the 49ers don't have a crazy turnover differential.

Brothgar
05-06-2012, 03:49 PM

Peyton Manning at 50% will still be more productive than Tim Tebow at the QB position even if the strength of the team turns out to be this highly effective and highly opportunistic D it still makes them one of the top two favorites in the division along with the Chiefs who noone seems to be talking much about right now.

Rosebud
05-06-2012, 04:25 PM
Green Bay
New York
Seattle
Tampa Bay
Chicago
Dallas

SanFran just feels like a team that'll have a disappointing season. They'll probably hold off Seattle, but if that secondary stops getting turnovers left and right, guys like Carlos Rogers go back to their stone hands-y ways, they get some less awesome luck with injuries and bounces, and I think this race comes down to the last couple weeks. With just competent QB play I like Seattle a lot, I figure Flynn and Smith will be a wash, but I personally prefer Beastmode and that rushing attack over the 9ers running game. 9ers have a better defense, but Seattle is also great against the run, has a strong secondary and have brought in more pass rushers. Two very similar teams IMO and it'll be very close.

I actually think NO walks away with the south but every time I start to type it I talk myself out of it, don't trust the Falcons to be better than solid, don't trust the Panthers' D to not be terrible. Don't really trust the Bucs either, but the top end of what kind of performance out fo the team wouldn't surprise me is much higher than any of the other teams in the division, so wtf not.

Detroit's getting better, but as long as Cutler, Forte, Marshall, Peppers, Briggs, Gould and Urlacher are healthy I'm picking them to make the playoffs. They were well on their way last year and now have better receivers, even if their OL still sucks monkey balls.

As far as the East goes, it's really just a crap shoot which of the top 3 gets in. In the NFCE forum I voted for 11, 10 and 9 wins for the Giants, Iggles and Cowboys and I'm still not sure which team ends up with which record. Ultimately I think the Cowboys growing OL and improved secondary will get them ahead of the Eagles when Vick goes down for a couple weeks at some point in the season.

New England
Houston
Denver
Pittsburgh
Buffalo
Tennessee

I actually think Houston is also going to come back to earth a little bit as that defense settles in. Ultimately still division champs and get a bye week, but they'll have to wait longer to clinch since I really like Tennessee. That offense is going to be elite in the coming years and it might not be this year, but that's a team that's going to just explode, kinda like a more physical Eagles offense. Once Locker, Britt, Wright, Cook, CJ2k and the OL are all settled in and on the field together, that'll be a scary unit.

The Bills I think finally get into the playoffs since I see the Jets struggling this year and the Bills are going to have a great running game, great DL, deep young secondary and a competent QB with some solid weapons. Add great special teams and some luck from the football gods and playoff football will be back for the Bills.

I like Cincy a lot, but with the way Pittsburgh was able to boost its OL in the draft I think Big Ben stays healthy this year and the LeBeau squeezes another strong season out of the defense. Leading to another division title for the Stillers before passing the torch, at least temporarily, to the Bengals.

49ersfan_87
05-06-2012, 04:41 PM
I just don't see how Seattle overtakes SF this year. And I say this as a blatant Seahawks homer, Niner hater and former Bay area resident. The 49ers seriously upgraded their offensive talent, bring all of their defense back and have no lockout to worry about.

All the Seahawks did was make a slight upgrade at QB (which is what most of the rational franchise thinks Flynn is) and add a couple of 3rd down pass rushers(Bruce Irvin, Jason Jones). Just don't see how that makes up for the vast talent level difference even if the 49ers don't have a crazy turnover differential.

On top of that, they retained every member of their quality coaching staff (which is the biggest reason the 49ers are so hard to beat).

Won't surprise me to see them regress in wins (in general, 13 wins is hard enough to repeat). I can see SF in the 10/11 win range this year.

Rosebud
05-06-2012, 04:52 PM
Dude this is like the Vice President taking over for the Presidet. And if you think our guys don't respect Vitt and Kromer you're way off.

Also most don't have y'all making the playoffs because y'all back into the playoffs almost every year.

Would anyone really have any respect for a Biden, Cheney or Gore presidency?...

SuperPacker
05-06-2012, 04:52 PM
I don't see the 49ers hate either. They still have the running game, but have added 3 weapons for Smith to throw too. I don't see how that's a negative.

They probably will try to go more pass orientated, but if Smith can't keep up, they just go back to last years offense. If Smith does keep up and gets better with the added weapons, their offense will be really good.

Add that to their elite defense and their poor divison, i see no reason why the 49ers won't with the NFC West.

Bixby (Thumper)
05-06-2012, 05:09 PM
I don't see the 49ers hate either. They still have the running game, but have added 3 weapons for Smith to throw too. I don't see how that's a negative.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-TrJ0YaZ7Akw/TuIYKl6wgvI/AAAAAAAAAK4/88v0xes-chs/s1600/Chart-from%2BJim%2BGlass-120911.jpg

A basic theory of football is there is the ability to win close football games (with close football game being defined as games where the final margin of victory is 7 points or less) is not an actual ability. Some might define this perceived ability as being “clutch.” But alas, no coach/QB/team hold an ability to consistently win/lose close football games.

That's why. The 49ers were 7-1 in games decided by less than 7 points (close games). Teams have not historically strung together years of winning close games as the chart shows. They're in for a regression next year simply because you absolutely cannot expect the 49ers to do as well this year as they did last year in close games. History says they're going to be worse in that regard.

Sure, you could win more close games. But history says you won't. From 1978-2010 there were 47 teams that won more than 5 "close games". Do you see how many teams matched or exceeded their "close win" total? Three. Three from 1978-2010. Only 24 of those teams even managed to be +1 in close games the following year and the 49ers were +6 this past year.

The 47 "best in the clutch" teams of the last 32 years were +263 net in close games - but only +15 in the subsequent season. Their won-lost record in one-score games fell in one year from 328-65 (83.5%) to 189-174 (52%). The correlation between their numbers of net close wins over the two seasons was an almost invisible 3%.

Comprehensively, for all 945 teams over the full 32 seasons, the correlation in year-to-year net close wins is 8%. In realistic terms: next to nothing.

Link (http://community.advancednflstats.com/2011/12/will-tim-tebow-be-denvers-dick-jauron.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+advancednflstats%2FybEI+%28Ad vanced+NFL+Stats+Community%29)

You could win just as many close games next year but I bet you won't.

phlysac
05-06-2012, 05:16 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-TrJ0YaZ7Akw/TuIYKl6wgvI/AAAAAAAAAK4/88v0xes-chs/s1600/Chart-from%2BJim%2BGlass-120911.jpg

That's why. The 49ers were 7-1 in games decided by less than 7 points (close games). Teams have not historically strung together years of winning close games as the chart shows. They're in for a regression next year simply because you absolutely cannot expect the 49ers to do as well this year as they did last year in close games. History says they're going to be worse in that regard.

That's the point. Most just assume regression. It's just as likely there will be an offensive PROGRESSION which could result in less close games.

"Close games" doesn't equate to "lost games" the next year. It could just as easily equate to "won games."

Mufasa
05-06-2012, 05:20 PM
They were 13-3. Even if they had lost half of those close games they still would have won the division. I don't think they'll match that record, but they should finish over .500, which is often enough to get into the playoffs.

SuperPacker
05-06-2012, 05:21 PM
That's the point. Most just assume regression. It's just as likely there will be an offensive PROGRESSION which could result in less close games.

"Close games" doesn't equate to "lost games" the next year. It could just as easily equate to "won games."

This. This. This.

x100

Bixby (Thumper)
05-06-2012, 05:34 PM

Do you really think you're going to start blowing teams out because you added Randy Moss (who wasn't in the NFL last year), Mario Manningham (Giants' third wheel), AJ Jenkins and LaMichael James? :njx:

SuperPacker
05-06-2012, 05:37 PM
Do you really think you're going to start blowing teams out because you added Randy Moss (who wasn't in the NFL last year), Mario Manningham (Giants' third wheel), AJ Jenkins and LaMichael James? :njx:

You really think they're going to get worse by adding 4 legitimate weapons. :njx:

Roddoliver
05-06-2012, 05:38 PM

Then someone has to knock him out first. We can put an asterisk next to any quarterback.

Bixby (Thumper)
05-06-2012, 05:44 PM
You really think they're going to get worse by adding 4 legitimate weapons. :njx:

Legitimate is being a little kind considering only one of them played a snap in the NFL last year.

bigbluedefense
05-06-2012, 05:57 PM
The problem is, it's really really really hard being a consistently good team in the NFL without a qb. It's just like one of the NFL commandments. If you don't have a good qb, it's going to be very hard putting together 2 good seasons in a row. Consistency starts at qb. Without one, you won't be a consistent team.

Ask Raven fans. They always had it all except the qb before Flacco and they rarely ever put together 2 playoff seasons in a row before Flacco.

You need a qb. Alex Smith is not that guy.

SuperPacker
05-06-2012, 06:05 PM
The problem is, it's really really really hard being a consistently good team in the NFL without a qb. It's just like one of the NFL commandments. If you don't have a good qb, it's going to be very hard putting together 2 good seasons in a row. Consistency starts at qb. Without one, you won't be a consistent team.

Ask Raven fans. They always had it all except the qb before Flacco and they rarely ever put together 2 playoff seasons in a row before Flacco.

I'm not expecting Alex Smith to be Aaron Rodgers, but i don't see why he would regress when they've added 3 good receivers and a great 3rd down running back to his arsenal.

Last year his only receiving threat was Vernon Davis...

VAfy-ya
05-06-2012, 06:09 PM

I think the world of that defense. I think we could both have Top 5 defenses and thats where I think both teams make their mark in the NFC. And if Flynn is even a 10% improvement over T-Jack, that should be enough for a two game swing in the W/L department. Plus I really like your draft. I hated seeing you guys draft Russell Wilson. Just think that kid is uber talented and will suprise alot of ppl. We're really in for a dogfight for the division. Both games were hard fought last year and I see both teams improving. For both teams, it will come down to the QB position for different reasons. Can Alex take the next step under Jimbaugh? And is Flynn a starter in this league or another stop gap?

bigbluedefense
05-06-2012, 06:12 PM
I'm not expecting Alex Smith to be Aaron Rodgers, but i don't see why he would regress when they've added 3 good receivers and a great 3rd down running back to his arsenal.

Last year his only receiving threat was Vernon Davis...

Adding weapons usually means you expect more from the pass game, which means he'll throw more. They won't protect him as much, and I don't see him coming through and delivering for them when that happens.

I could be wrong, but I just don't believe in him.

Ness
05-06-2012, 06:17 PM
Adding weapons usually means you expect more from the pass game, which means he'll throw more. They won't protect him as much, and I don't see him coming through and delivering for them when that happens.

Harbaugh knows he's facing a lot of good passing teams in 2012. Especially on the road. Which is why he is stockpiling more weapons. A lot of folks didn't believe in him last season, and deservedly so, but he did come through usually when it matters. I think he had 7 4th quarter comebacks last season. Maybe it was six. It will be nice to finally have receivers that have proven they can get separation.

SuperPacker
05-06-2012, 06:17 PM

He'll throw more if he uses the extra talent well. He could respond well to have some decent people to throw too and improve. Then they would have a good passing game and an elite running game.

If giving Alex more throws doesn't work, they can just resort back to last years offense when they ran the ball more. Then when they do go back to the running game, Frank Gore will have more room to run, because of the Randy Moss factor, Manningham and AJ Jenkins.

Either way it's win/win for San Francisco and an improvement on last season.

bigbluedefense
05-06-2012, 06:20 PM
Harbaugh knows he's facing a lot of good passing teams in 2012. Especially on the road. Which is why he is stockpiling more weapons. A lot of folks didn't believe in him last season, and deservedly so, but he did come through usually when it matters. I think he had 7 4th quarter comebacks last season. Maybe it was six. It will be nice to finally have receivers that have proven they can get separation.

For the record, I LOVE all the moves made, I just...I don't know man. It's hard for me to commit to Smith. You know? Like as an outsider looking in, it's just hard for me to commit to Smith. That's all.

I think going out and getting 3 WRs is an obvious sign that Harbaugh has given up on Crabtree. Guess we can officially call him a bust...

Ness
05-06-2012, 06:22 PM

I guess our offense is going to stay the same.

Ness
05-06-2012, 06:26 PM
For the record, I LOVE all the moves made, I just...I don't know man. It's hard for me to commit to Smith. You know? Like as an outsider looking in, it's just hard for me to commit to Smith. That's all.

I think going out and getting 3 WRs is an obvious sign that Harbaugh has given up on Crabtree. Guess we can officially call him a bust...

I look at last year as Smith's first season under an actual regime that was going about the right way in terms of helping him out. Mike Singletary and Mike Nolan clearly had no idea what they were doing. And the switching of coordinators and lack of talent showed what not to do in developing your quarterback of the future. It's not like Eli Manning who has had the same coordinator his entire pro career.

I don't think many 49ers are committed to Smith long term. I'm not. He has a lot of prove. But that doesn't mean he can't get better under Harbaugh's guidance. We shall see.

49ersfan_87
05-06-2012, 06:36 PM

They didn't give up on Crabtree, he was just the only WR worth a damn after Morgan got injured. We'd have to revamp the WR corps if Crabtree were on the team or not. Although i wouldn't call him a bust, but Crabs is definitely underwhelming for a top 10 pick, i won't argue that.

I look at last year as Smith's first season under an actual regime that was going about the right way in terms of helping him out. Mike Singletary and Mike Nolan clearly had no idea what they were doing. And the switching of coordinators and lack of talent showed what not to do in developing your quarterback of the future. It's not like Eli Manning who has had the same coordinator his entire pro career.

I don't think many 49ers are committed to Smith long term. I'm not. He has a lot of prove. But that doesn't mean he can't get better under Harbaugh's guidance. We shall see.

They gave him a 3 year deal that they can easily get out of after this year. No signing bonus and only year 1's salary is guaranteed, they can cut him after this season and owe him nothing. Kaepernick is Harbaugh's hand-picked QB and he's leaving the door open for Kaepernick if Smith can't execute the new offense.

VAfy-ya
05-06-2012, 06:36 PM

So you actually believe Alex will be worst than he was last year? A year under his belt in the system. A actually off-season with the playbook and the coaches to work on the scheme. Improvements on the outside. You think he will just regress and become "old Alex" again? I guess it could happen but I see no reason to believe it will happen. And I'm going to need more than "because its Alex Smith " to convince me otherwise. He doesn't need to be Brees or Brady to take this team where we want to go. All he needs to do is keep improving and we'll be fine.

phlysac
05-06-2012, 07:56 PM
And most importantly...

Explosive plays in the passing game is NOT the same as passing the ball alot more.

Harbaugh wants more scoring opportunities to be generated from the passing game. He doesn't want to throw the ball more to score. He wants to score more when he throws.

The 49ers whom were 2 fumbles for, a fumble blown dead, and OT away from the Super Bowl and they essentially...

Replaced

Brett Swain with Mario Manningham.
Joe Hastings with Randy Moss.
Added A.J. Jenkins.

Ness
05-06-2012, 11:45 PM
And most importantly...

Explosive plays in the passing game is NOT the same as passing the ball alot more.

Harbaugh wants more scoring opportunities to be generated from the passing game. He doesn't want to throw the ball more to score. He wants to score more when he throws.

The 49ers whom were 2 fumbles for, a fumble blown dead, and OT away from the Super Bowl and they essentially...

Replaced

Brett Swain with Mario Manningham.
Joe Hastings with Randy Moss.
Added A.J. Jenkins.

The 49ers have a harder schedule in 2012. That is the biggest obstacle really. I'd be shocked if the offense didn't at least look like it did last year. Honestly with everything that has happened in the offseason (staff remained intact, better weapons added) I only expect improvement.

fenikz
05-07-2012, 12:13 AM
the 49er will certainly regress they aren't a 13-3 team, but they should still walk away with the NFC West fairly easily unless one of the other QBs in the division plays at an semi elite level

Rosebud
05-07-2012, 01:05 AM
the 49er will certainly regress they aren't a 13-3 team, but they should still walk away with the NFC West fairly easily unless one of the other QBs in the division plays at an semi elite level

I dunno about that. they went 7-9 with Tavaris Jackson. Now they've boosted their pass rush, gotten a good backup to keep beastmode fresh, the OL has a year more of chemistry together and they have the combo of Flynn and Wilson instead of TJ and Clipboard jesus. Seeing Seattle get to 9 or 10 wins wouldn't shock me and seeing the 9ers fall to 9-11 wins wouldn't shock me either.

Brothgar
05-07-2012, 02:00 AM
I see no reason why the 49ers shouldn't get a first round bye again this year.
There is still no competition in that division the closest one is the Rams unless Skelton or Kolb make major improvments or if Flynn actually lives to the hype (hint: he won't) the other divisions are going to beat the crap out of each other. I think the league may have figured out the Packers a little. The Eagles have the Giants to contend with and the South is anyone's division TBH.

fenikz
05-07-2012, 02:06 AM
Rams are no where near the Seahawks or Cardinals talent wise, they are in rebuilding mode the others are borderline playoff teams

Brothgar
05-07-2012, 02:14 AM
Rams are no where near the Seahawks or Cardinals talent wise, they are in rebuilding mode the others are borderline playoff teams

Meh an argument can be made that the Rams have the best QB in division. They have two upper tier DEs they just helped the interior D-Line in the draft and really helped the CB situation with Finnigan. S-Jax is no slouch either. Where as the Cards have lost a large portion of the LB corps has half of a great secondary two very good RB that need to stay healthy and two highly talented WRs. But neither have what I would call a good O-Line. The Seahawks have beastmode but not much else in terms of high end skill position talent. They have a very good O-line but meh.

fenikz
05-07-2012, 02:20 AM
who did we lose? we have the exact same people as last year, i think you should maybe watch the NFC West before forming opinions on it

Bixby (Thumper)
05-07-2012, 02:50 AM

Are they really that much better than the Cardinals and Seahawks? I don't think that division is as much of a door mat as people make it seem. There are some really tough defenses in that division.

The 49ers got career years out of Alex Smith, Carlos Rogers, Donte Whitner and Ray McDonald amongst others. Can they keep up the stellar play? Doubtful in my opinion, especially for Alex Smith. And I think their running attack is vastly overrated. They dedicated themselves to running the ball but they only averaged 4.1 yards per carry (19th in the NFL). And they weren't that good when they needed to pound the ball. Averaged only 3.57 yards per carry up the middle and they only had a 51% success rate in power situations (both marks were 29th in the NFL). Sure they're good but like you said, they're not 13-3 good.

And in addition to regression in close games (I mentioned that a couple posts earlier), there is also an overwhelming tendency to regress when it comes to turnovers from one year to the next. Just like the 49ers were absurdly good in close games, they had an absurdly good turnover differential (+28). Could they break the trends? Sure they could but it doesn't happen often.

Alex Smith should be in line for more turnovers next year and I'm personally expecting a pass defense regression as well because Carlos Rogers isn't as good as he showed last year. He was no where near that level in Washington and it wasn't like he suddenly got a jump in playing time or anything, his level of play just reached another level that I don't think he can maintain.

The Seahawks won 7 games last year despite Tavaris Jackson and a 2-4 record in close games. And their +6 point differential would certainly suggest they were better than their 7-9 record. The Cardinals also won 8 games last year despite a -12 turnover margin and a really young team. Both teams seem to be in line for progression next year.

Seahawks upgraded their passing game with Matt Flynn. Flynn has shown he can move the ball whenever he takes the field and he's a nice fit within the Seahawk's WCO. But I'm a big fan of their defense. That defense is really good. The combination of Chris Clemons, Red Bryant, Brandon Mebane, Alan Branch, Jason Jones and Bruce Irvin is impressive along the defensive line. At linebacker they've got LeRoy Hill paired with KJ Wright and Bobby Wagner and they reunited Barrett Ruud with Gus Bradley. Big press corners in Browner, Sherman and Thurmond combined with playmaking safeties Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor. A decent QB paired with Sidney Rice, Mike Williams and Zach Miller, a big offensive line with a power running game (Lynch and Turbin is terrifying) and a defense that takes care of the ball. I think they're really similar to the 49ers.

Cardinals caught fire late in the year. Kolb gets a full offseason and now he has Michael Floyd and Larry Fitzgerald. Beanie Wells and Ryan Williams are coming back healthy. Full season of Acho and Schofield should really help their pass rush. Their front seven is really strong too with Campbell, Dockett, Williams, Acho, Schofield and Washington. That other ILB spot isn't great but it shouldn't be a problem either. Patrick Peterson is Revis Jr. out on the outside, he struggled at times but he came on at the end of the year and he's getting his first NFL offseason. And Kerry Rhodes with Adrian Wilson is always good. An okay QB situation with Fitz and Floyd, talented backs (when healthy) and a good defense.

I think the NFC West is going to have a nice little race. The 49ers should come back down to earth a bit and the Seahawks and Cardinals are both better. All three teams are built pretty similarly, especially the 49ers and Seahawks. Ultimately I think it comes down to the Seahawks and 49ers because the Cardinals' defense while good still isn't as good as the Hawks' or 9ers' defenses, their running game is the weakest, Kevin Kolb and John Skelton are worse than Flynn and Smith and their offensive line is still awful and probably 3rd best behind SF and SEA. I think it'll be close between the Seahawks and 49ers with some improvement from the Cardinals. Personally, I'm giving the early nod to the Seahawks but just barely.

fenikz
05-07-2012, 02:53 AM
The Seahawks won 7 games last year despite Tavaris Jackson and a 2-4 record in close games. And their +6 point differential would certainly suggest they were better than their 7-9 record. The Cardinals also won 7 games last year despite a -12 turnover margin and a really young team. Both teams seem to be in line for progression next year.

8-8 actually, 7-2 down the stretch run

I think the Seahawks and Cardinals will be competitive but it is the 49ers division to lose

Bixby (Thumper)
05-07-2012, 02:58 AM
Meh an argument can be made that the Rams have the best QB in division.

Bradford has been pretty mediocre in his first two years. He's completed only 57% of his passes and averages 6 yards per attempt. Durability issues popped up again last year. He's learning his third offense in three years. His offensive line is still trash and who is he throwing to, Brian Quick? :evil_laugh:

Brothgar
05-07-2012, 03:02 AM
who did we lose? we have the exact same people as last year, i think you should maybe watch the NFC West before forming opinions on it

OK so first yes I did count Joey Porter for some sleep deprived reason but the point remains. But I think you did lose Haggans to free agency didn't you? That is the only section I said you lost (you may have misread my post which I could easily see it isn't the best worded) everything else I listed was commenting on the things that you actually had in your favor. But what I didn't mention is a potential for an O-Line heavy with rookies and underachievers.

fenikz
05-07-2012, 03:16 AM
Haggans will resign with us or retire, but the starters are set and he would only be there in a mentor/rotational role

will be interesting to see if Bradley is shifted outside to get Sturdivant some more playing time

Also the Cardinals' staff is very high on Cowboys former 4th round pick Brandon Williams OLB from Texas Tech, so LB may be more of a perceived need than actual one

Ness
05-07-2012, 03:49 AM
Folks are really riding the Seahawks bandwagon. Good. The more hype the better.

Alex Smith should be in line for more turnovers next year and I'm personally expecting a pass defense regression as well because Carlos Rogers isn't as good as he showed last year. He was no where near that level in Washington and it wasn't like he suddenly got a jump in playing time or anything, his level of play just reached another level that I don't think he can maintain.

Maybe the issue was coaching. This isn't the first time we took a corner from Washington that became decent for us (Walt Harris). Sometimes a change of scenery can pay dividends.

VAfy-ya
05-07-2012, 04:30 AM
The 'Hawks will give us problems Ness. That defense is the real deal. And Beast Mode is the only RB who gave us any sort of problem last year. If Flynn even has a pulse at QB, they can do some damage. I just think the avg fan doesn't realize how good that defense is. If they can fill the hole at Mike, they could be scary good.

Ness
05-07-2012, 04:33 AM
The 'Hawks will give us problems Ness. That defense is the real deal. And Beast Mode is the only RB who gave us any sort of problem last year. If Flynn even has a pulse at QB, they can do some damage. I just think the avg fan doesn't realize how good that defense is. If they can fill the hole at Mike, they could be scary good.

I'm just not convinced. They have an easier schedule than we do, so that helps them. And if Flynn doesn't stink it up, I can see them being a lot better. At the same time, I think Lynch is going to wear himself down with the way he runs, banging into everybody like Earl Campbell-style. There is just a lot of "on paper" potential more-so. And how often does that work out in the NFL?

VAfy-ya
05-07-2012, 08:38 AM
I'm just not convinced. They have an easier schedule than we do, so that helps them. And if Flynn doesn't stink it up, I can see them being a lot better. At the same time, I think Lynch is going to wear himself down with the way he runs, banging into everybody like Earl Campbell-style. There is just a lot of "on paper" potential more-so. And how often does that work out in the NFL?

On paper? Really everyone's potential is based 'on paper' at this time of the year, ours included. Over the last 7-8 games last year, their defense was one of the best in the league. They're built very similar to us. Great defense and solid running game. We both have issues in the passing game but the potential is there for both teams. If Rice can stay healthy long enough, he and Baldwin could make a nice duo on the outside. They just never had a guy who could consistently get them the ball on the outside last year. If Flynn is just decent, that's a step up from Jackson, who I believe was just awful way too often.

bigbluedefense
05-07-2012, 09:05 AM
People are sleeping on Seattle. Seattle is a good team. They, like SF, need a qb but that's about it.

phlysac
05-07-2012, 09:57 AM

I feel that this post could go for several. People are still using the "lowly NFC West" ideas when, if you'd watched at all last year, it was clear that the 49ers, Seahawks, and Cardinals were all significantly better and headed in the right direction. The Rams added pieces this year and we'll see if they make the talent step that was made by their division counterparts.

phlysac
05-07-2012, 10:04 AM
The 49ers got career years out of Alex Smith, Carlos Rogers, Donte Whitner and Ray McDonald amongst others. Can they keep up the stellar play? Doubtful in my opinion, especially for Alex Smith. And I think their running attack is vastly overrated. They dedicated themselves to running the ball but they only averaged 4.1 yards per carry (19th in the NFL). And they weren't that good when they needed to pound the ball. Averaged only 3.57 yards per carry up the middle and they only had a 51% success rate in power situations (both marks were 29th in the NFL). Sure they're good but like you said, they're not 13-3 good.

All of these thoughts are valid, but it only tells one side. The other side is that...

*Those players can continue to improve with a much improved staff.
*The running game can vastly improve because it struggled last season.
*3rd down efficiency and redzone efficiency can significantly improve next season.
*Only 40% of the offense was installed last season.
*Only 60% of the defense was installed last season.

Sure, maybe the turnover differential won't be historic as it was last season. But if these other areas (that struggled badly) improve, then the 49ers offense should greatly improve, as well. Making the need for an all-time high turnover differential, less significant.

jth1331
05-07-2012, 11:29 AM
What really irks me is the thread title saying "Playoff Teams in 2013"

fenikz
05-07-2012, 11:39 AM
when do you expect the playoffs to be held?

jrdrylie
05-07-2012, 11:40 AM
New Teams In Bold

1. Atlanta
2. Green Bay
3. Dallas
4. San Francisco
5. Chicago
6. Detroit

1. Baltimore
2. Houston
3. New England
4. Denver
5. Tennessee
6. Pittsburgh

jth1331
05-07-2012, 11:47 AM
when do you expect the playoffs to be held?

I expect the playoffs to be played under the 2012 season.

Ness
05-07-2012, 12:20 PM
On paper? Really everyone's potential is based 'on paper' at this time of the year, ours included. Over the last 7-8 games last year, their defense was one of the best in the league. They're built very similar to us. Great defense and solid running game. We both have issues in the passing game but the potential is there for both teams. If Rice can stay healthy long enough, he and Baldwin could make a nice duo on the outside. They just never had a guy who could consistently get them the ball on the outside last year. If Flynn is just decent, that's a step up from Jackson, who I believe was just awful way too often.
Except we made the playoffs last season. That's what I'm saying. We've been through this scenario with the 49ers the last few years when everyone was saying they would be good the following season, and it never panned out. I'm just not drinking the kool aid. Sue me.

Knicks and Bucs
05-07-2012, 12:49 PM
AFC
New England
Houston
Pittsburgh
Denver
New York Jets
Buffalo

NFC
Chicago
New York Giants
San Francisco
Tampa Bay
Green Bay
Atlanta

Brothgar
05-07-2012, 01:00 PM
Bradford has been pretty mediocre in his first two years. He's completed only 57% of his passes and averages 6 yards per attempt. Durability issues popped up again last year. He's learning his third offense in three years. His offensive line is still trash and who is he throwing to, Brian Quick? :evil_laugh:

But who is really better in that division? Kolb? Skelton (I do like Skelton but he just isn't there quite yet) Matt Flynn? Alex Smith? Not much competition.

mightytitan9
05-07-2012, 02:29 PM
AFC WEST: Kansas City
AFC EAST: New England
AFC SOUTH: Tennessee
AFC NORTH: Baltimore
AFC Wildcard 1: Houston
AFC Wildcard 2: Pittsburgh

NFC WEST: 49ers
NFC EAST: Philadelphia
NFC SOUTH: Tampa Bay
NFC NORTH: Green Bay
NFC Wildcard 1: Detroit
NFC Wildcard 2: Dallas

Ask and I'll explain anything

SuperPacker
05-07-2012, 02:41 PM
How do the Titans (other than your bias) win the AFC South?

jrdrylie
05-07-2012, 03:26 PM

I'm not predicting the Titans win the South but...

--- Chris Johnson regains his 2010 form and leads the league in rushing.
--- Jake Locker is made the full time starter and looks even better than he did in limited time last year.
--- Kenny Britt returns fully healed from his injury.

Like I said, I still think Houston wins the division, but I think Tennessee could definitely be one of the surprise teams this season.

mightytitan9
05-07-2012, 03:30 PM

It's a tough one between them and the Texans, you could flip them if you prefer as I think they'll have very close records. With that said, I went with the Titans for numerous reasons.

1) The Texans have a history of choking, and being underachievers. Is one year enough to change the whole philosophy of the organization?

2) The Texans lost Brisiel and Winston on the offensive line, as well as Vickers at FB. Even with the addition of Jones and Brooks, (neither of whom I think fit the system real well) I don't think they'll be as good at blocking for Foster, or keeping Schaub up right. Which brings me to the next point:

3) Matt Schaub has a history of injuries, since coming to Houston he's only played more than 11 games twice in his 5 seasons. Yates played ok, but I'm not sure they can really rely on him.

4) Texans as a whole have injuries concerns. Aside from Schaub, Andre Johnson has only played 5 whole seasons out of his 9 seasons he's been in the NFL. He's played in 36 of the past 48. Owen Daniels also hasn't been able to stay healthy, playing most of the season 3 of his 6 years.

5) They still don't have a 2nd WR, Posey isn't likely to contribute much this season. Walters is nothing more than a possession guy.

6) Lackluster draft, although they upgrade the team for the future, they really could have added players to contribute this year and bring this team to the next level.

7) Will the defense be figured out?

On the other hand, the Titans went far beyond people's expectations last season.

They upgrade the pass rush, and the offensive line as well as WR and depth at LB.

CJ wasn't in football shape for the first few weeks and the running game never really got established. They still passed for 4000yards and CJ is still explosive. Add explosive Kenny Britt back from injury and Kendall Wright in the draft and it's looking good. Add the fact the Titans have one of the few TEs in the NFL that is a legitimate threat to go 80 yards.

On defense they lost Finnegan, which will hurt. But they still have McCourty and Verner, and if the pass rush is improved life should be much easier for them than it was last year.

In the end these two teams finished 1 game apart, and I feel the Titans have upgraded while the Texans have downgraded this offseason.

Just my two cents.

Bixby (Thumper)
05-07-2012, 06:50 PM
Haha, anyone not choosing the Texans in the AFC South is out of their minds. The team beat the Bengals and nearly knocked off the Ravens with TJ Yates. No team in the AFC South is even close to the Texans.

Holy delusional Titans fan. The Titans spin on that damn near gave me vertigo.

PS - Chris Johnson is nowhere near as good as he was three years ago. He actually kind of sucks now.

Fico
05-07-2012, 06:52 PM
It's a tough one between them and the Texans, you could flip them if you prefer as I think they'll have very close records. With that said, I went with the Titans for numerous reasons.

1) The Texans have a history of choking, and being underachievers. Is one year enough to change the whole philosophy of the organization?

2) The Texans lost Brisiel and Winston on the offensive line, as well as Vickers at FB. Even with the addition of Jones and Brooks, (neither of whom I think fit the system real well) I don't think they'll be as good at blocking for Foster, or keeping Schaub up right. Which brings me to the next point:

3) Matt Schaub has a history of injuries, since coming to Houston he's only played more than 11 games twice in his 5 seasons. Yates played ok, but I'm not sure they can really rely on him.

4) Texans as a whole have injuries concerns. Aside from Schaub, Andre Johnson has only played 5 whole seasons out of his 9 seasons he's been in the NFL. He's played in 36 of the past 48. Owen Daniels also hasn't been able to stay healthy, playing most of the season 3 of his 6 years.

5) They still don't have a 2nd WR, Posey isn't likely to contribute much this season. Walters is nothing more than a possession guy.

6) Lackluster draft, although they upgrade the team for the future, they really could have added players to contribute this year and bring this team to the next level.

7) Will the defense be figured out?

On the other hand, the Titans went far beyond people's expectations last season.

They upgrade the pass rush, and the offensive line as well as WR and depth at LB.

CJ wasn't in football shape for the first few weeks and the running game never really got established. They still passed for 4000yards and CJ is still explosive. Add explosive Kenny Britt back from injury and Kendall Wright in the draft and it's looking good. Add the fact the Titans have one of the few TEs in the NFL that is a legitimate threat to go 80 yards.

On defense they lost Finnegan, which will hurt. But they still have McCourty and Verner, and if the pass rush is improved life should be much easier for them than it was last year.

In the end these two teams finished 1 game apart, and I feel the Titans have upgraded while the Texans have downgraded this offseason.

Just my two cents.

I think this post is silly.

You are counting on Locker who has yet to prove anything of substance in the NFL and Matt Hassellback who is old and got beat up last year. You are counting on CJ bouncing back to 2000 yards which isn't going to happen. He is a great player and he will produce in 1200 range but he never sniffs 2000 again. You are counting on your injury prone receiver to dominate while discrediting the Texans' best player because he was injured. Hell Andre with 1 hamstring was better than Britt has ever been. You think your unproven draft class is better than the Texans. You also think an offensive coach who has been running his system since 1996 is picking players that don't fit his scheme.

Here is the reality, the Titans got smashed at home, flat out embarrassed, last year by the Texans with no Andre and with our starting safety going out. The Titans then beat the Texans JV squad by 1 point to close out the season. In a game, I might add, that the Titans had everything to play for and from which the Texans could not benefit from.

Realistically the Texans offense improves as a whole. The running game may take a step back since you there isn't much room to improve from #2, but it will still be top 5 in the league. The system plus Foster and Tate = production. The passing game will be better than 18th due to Schaub, Andre and Foster getting more than 1 quarter together this season. Additionally the chances that they have to play a significant stretch with our #3 QB again is pretty small.

The defense will still be good but will probably take a step back to the 5-7 range as well. You just can't improve much from #2 and the odds are against it being just as good.

If your counting on the Texans choking I believed that ship sailed in 2010. Their whole season last year was clinic in perseverance. Foster is hurt, Andre is hurt, Mario is hurt, Ryans is hurt, Sharpton is hurt, Manning is hurt, Schaub is hurt, Lienart is hurt, yet they still won games. They played frickin Jake Delhomme at QB last season and he almost beat the Titans.

I think the Titans will be 9-7 team again with a shot at the wild card. I also think they get swept by the Texans.

Iamcanadian
05-07-2012, 07:25 PM
To do a proper job, you need to check the schedule to see which Division and odd games each team has drawn.

The NFL is a schedule/QB league and if you draw the NFC North, the NFL East, or the AFC North then the Division is more than likely not going to get a Wild Card team, you can almost count on that. Only a great QB can overcome those odds. I didn't include the NFC South because New Orleans is such a huge question mark.

Hence the AFC East will produce 2 or 3 playoff teams because their schedules are ridiculously easy.
And the NFC North will for sure, barring injuries, produce 3 playoff teams as their schedule is also ridiculously easy.

NFC
1) Green Bay - In a tough fight within their division but should win out with a great QB
2) Philly - The Giants may suffer the Super Bowl woes and Philly is next in line.
3) Atlanta - New Orleans looks doomed for next season so Atlanta is the likely division winner.
4) San Fran - Arizona might upset a letdown by the 49ers, but I still give the edge to San Fran.
5) Detroit(WC) - Will be even better next year and will give Green Bay all they can handle, but GB in a close one.
6) Chicago (WC) - If they can stay injury free, they will also be a Super Bowl threat.

1) New England - Ridiculously easy schedule and the addition of Lloyd and some defenders won't hurt.
2) Pittsburgh - Improved OL may give Roethlisberger even more time and their defense is still potent.
3) Houston - Just not another team in the AFC South capable of challenging them. but aren't special at QB.
4) Kansas City - Peyton won't reach top form till the middle of the season and KC is a team on the rise when healthy.
5) New York Jets(WC) - the AFC's easy schedules will get a 2nd team in as a Wild Card.
6) Cinncy(WC) - Baltimose lost an awful lot in Suggs so Cinccy will replace them as the #2 AFC North team

Smooth Criminal
05-07-2012, 07:31 PM
Theres definitely a lot more Titans love than I was expecting to see in this thread. Not really a team I look at an group with the teams that I think make the playoffs, but they should have a pretty easy division schedule with the Colts and Jags.

mightytitan9
05-07-2012, 08:31 PM
I think this post is silly.

You are counting on Locker who has yet to prove anything of substance in the NFL and Matt Hassellback who is old and got beat up last year. You are counting on CJ bouncing back to 2000 yards which isn't going to happen. He is a great player and he will produce in 1200 range but he never sniffs 2000 again. You are counting on your injury prone receiver to dominate while discrediting the Texans' best player because he was injured. Hell Andre with 1 hamstring was better than Britt has ever been. You think your unproven draft class is better than the Texans. You also think an offensive coach who has been running his system since 1996 is picking players that don't fit his scheme.

Here is the reality, the Titans got smashed at home, flat out embarrassed, last year by the Texans with no Andre and with our starting safety going out. The Titans then beat the Texans JV squad by 1 point to close out the season. In a game, I might add, that the Titans had everything to play for and from which the Texans could not benefit from.

Realistically the Texans offense improves as a whole. The running game may take a step back since you there isn't much room to improve from #2, but it will still be top 5 in the league. The system plus Foster and Tate = production. The passing game will be better than 18th due to Schaub, Andre and Foster getting more than 1 quarter together this season. Additionally the chances that they have to play a significant stretch with our #3 QB again is pretty small.

The defense will still be good but will probably take a step back to the 5-7 range as well. You just can't improve much from #2 and the odds are against it being just as good.

If your counting on the Texans choking I believed that ship sailed in 2010. Their whole season last year was clinic in perseverance. Foster is hurt, Andre is hurt, Mario is hurt, Ryans is hurt, Sharpton is hurt, Manning is hurt, Schaub is hurt, Lienart is hurt, yet they still won games. They played frickin Jake Delhomme at QB last season and he almost beat the Titans.

I think the Titans will be 9-7 team again with a shot at the wild card. I also think they get swept by the Texans.

Hasselbeck didn't battle injury last season. And I'm not counting on CJ getting 2000 yards, we came down to the final game and lost a tiebreaker to get into the playoffs. We were 9-7 with Chris Johnson being a step slow the first part of the season and without Kenny Britt for most of the season.

What you're ignoring is that CJ is just as explosive as he ever was, he still was tied for 3rd in the NFL in runs over 20 yards. But due to the interior offensive line he often got stopped for no gain.

You're also ignoring the fact that we had a first year head coach, still trying to find his way and be his own player. We destroyed the Ravens, a team that nearly went to the superbowl. We got blown out by the Texans and Steelers.

We also lost Britt very early in the season, and our WR corps is much deeper than the Texans is.

Your whole post is opinion, and it's mostly based on past results

jojo
05-07-2012, 08:35 PM
3) Houston - Just not another team in the AFC South capable of challenging them. but aren't special at QB.

The Texans are coming into green pastures of playoff $ now. Once they've tasted that boost in their salaries they won't want to return to where they came from.

Matt Schaub has been special ever since UVA, he just hasn't been able to stay healthy. If he does this yr. he could move into that elite category of NFL QBs.

The talent is there, the coaching, the system, the fanbase, they believe in themselves as winners, all the pieces in place.

mightytitan9
05-07-2012, 08:40 PM
The talent is there, the coaching, the system, the fanbase, they believe in themselves as winners, all the pieces in place.

Pieces have been there for years, they finally make the playoffs once and all of a sudden everyone's drooling over them

VAfy-ya
05-07-2012, 09:27 PM
Pieces have been there for years, they finally make the playoffs once and all of a sudden everyone's drooling over them

Their roster top to bottom is better than the Titans. The homer in you just wont allow you to see it.

mightytitan9
05-07-2012, 09:28 PM
Their roster top to bottom is better than the Titans. The homer in you just wont allow you to see it.

It has been for years, whats your point?

gpngc
05-07-2012, 09:44 PM
Anyone who picks the Bucs to make the playoffs must believe Schiano will be an amazing pro head coach. Right after he was a mediocre college coach whose greatest strength was as a recruiter...

Bulldogs
05-07-2012, 09:48 PM
Anyone who picks the Bucs to make the playoffs must believe Schiano will be an amazing pro head coach. Right after he was a mediocre college coach whose greatest strength was as a recruiter...

To be fair they have added some good players, Carl Nicks, Vincent Jackson, a couple solid picks in Mark Barron and Doug Martin. I think they are looking at a 7-9/8-8 season more than anything though.

gpngc
05-07-2012, 09:52 PM
Their run defense was atrocious last season. Barron might help in that area a little bit and they obviously will put forth more effort than they did last season down the stretch, but the defense still looks very weak against the run and at getting to the QB. That combo is usually not a recipe for making the playoffs, even if the offense is better. And Atlanta, NO, and CAR are all better anyway. Not to mention the GB/DET/CHI division losers and NYG/DAL/PHI division losers. Hell, Arizona is better, mainly because their D is respectable. Tampa's is not.

Scotty D
05-07-2012, 10:01 PM
Tampa's wildcard is the young defensive line (McCoy, Bowers, Clayborn, Price). If they ramp up their level of play it could make a huge difference.

Brown Leader
05-07-2012, 10:30 PM
How about..

AFC

East
1. Patriots
2. Bills
3. Jets
4. Dolphins

*I'm one of the few that still likes Sanchez, but Fitzpatrick is easily the 2nd best QB in the East. Bills are steadily rising while the Jets are moving away from what made them good. If the Jets contend, Rex Ryan deserves coach of the year.

North
1. Ravens
2. Bengals
3. Steelers
4. Browns

*Steelers are rebuilding a good part of the defense and might be counting on two rookies to protect Ben. Ravens were a bad drop from the SB. Only question about the Browns is if they take a QB with that # 1 overall.

South
1. Texans
2. Titans
3. Jaguars
4. Colts

*Texans headed to New Orleans this season. If the Titans get their running game back to go along with Jerry Gray's D they'll be in the playoffs. So ready for Gabbert to have a decent 2nd year and say "**** you all" to his critics.

West
1. Broncos
2. Chargers
3. Chiefs
4. Raiders

*Hard to bet against the Broncos. If Cassell struggles or a key guy gets hurt, I could see the Chiefs self destruct....again.

NFC

East
1. Eagles
2. Giants
3. Cowboys
4. Redskins

*Eagles aren't favorites so they'll play to win instead of not to lose. Cowboys secondary will be their achilles heel.

North
1. Packers
2. Bears
3. Lions
4. Vikings

*The Bears were really picking up steam before Cutler went down. If the Lions can keep from being one dimensional they could contend but..

South
1. Saints
2. Panthers
3. Buccaneers
4. Falcons

*Either the Saints or Falcons will tumble. The Saints pass protection on the ends looked progressively worse last season and defensively, Jenkins looks like a bust - they still won't get a strong pass rush but... Brees won't let them fail...unless he gets injured. The Falcons hung on last season but the running game and defense lagged and haven't gotten better.

West
1. Niners
2. Seahawks
3. Rams
4. Cardinals

*Unless Flynn or R.Wilson emerges as a big time QB I don't think the Niners will get seriously challenged. Smith is still the QB but the weapons have improved. Oline is still a weakness but Looney will make a difference. I'd rather see Skelton start than Kolb but Wiz is going to wait too long to make the call here and the line is going to wreck them both.

Bucs147
05-07-2012, 10:39 PM
Their run defense was atrocious last season. Barron might help in that area a little bit and they obviously will put forth more effort than they did last season down the stretch, but the defense still looks very weak against the run and at getting to the QB. That combo is usually not a recipe for making the playoffs, even if the offense is better. And Atlanta, NO, and CAR are all better anyway. Not to mention the GB/DET/CHI division losers and NYG/DAL/PHI division losers. Hell, Arizona is better, mainly because their D is respectable. Tampa's is not.

Getting Gerald McCoy back is vital for our run D. With him in the lineup, the Bucs actually had a pretty good run D (If I remember correctly, they were top 10 in the league) but when he went to IR, the run D went from being pretty good to being the worst run D I have ever seen. Getting Cody Grimm back will also helps since he was the best tackler in our defense for the last two years (though after two important leg injuries, I have no idea how good or bad he'll be this season). Another point is that Raheem had no idea how to coach a defense and they were also tons of quitters in that defense. Guys like Tanard Jackson, Sean Jones and Geno Hayes just quit during our 10 losing games streak and they were atrocious on run defense.

That being sad, I still think this defense isn't very good and we'll finish around the 8-8 mark. Though, I also think the NFC South will be mediocre at best this season, so there's a chance we can win the division.

vidae
05-07-2012, 10:46 PM
West
1. Broncos
2. Chargers
3. Chiefs
4. Raiders

*Hard to bet against the Broncos. If Cassell struggles or a key guy gets hurt, I could see the Chiefs self destruct....again.

Self destruct? Did the Chiefs REALLY self destruct? Three of our best players got hurt, then Cassel got hurt, and we started Tyler Palko. And after all of that ****, we were a blocked FG away from winning the division.

Is that really self destructing?

Brothgar
05-07-2012, 10:59 PM
Self destruct? Did the Chiefs REALLY self destruct? Three of our best players got hurt, then Cassel got hurt, and we started Tyler Palko. And after all of that ****, we were a blocked FG away from winning the division.

Is that really self destructing?

The Chiefs are really a team that aren't getting respect. They are a real playoff contender. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they get a wild card or even win the division.

Bixby (Thumper)
05-07-2012, 11:14 PM
Oh my god dude, the Titans aren't doing anything this year. The Texans are clearly superior.

Chris Johnson is mediocre now, he didn't even average 4 yards per carry last year unless you round up. He averaged 3.99 yards per carry. He was 14th in the NFL last year in yards, 9th in attempts and amongst runners who played at least 50% of their teams snaps his YPC average was 25th out of 30. He had the 46th highest success rate of any RB who had more than 100 carries. Football Outsiders and ProFootballFocus both graded him as the worst RB in the AFC South last year. The Titans as a team (where Chris Johnson had a lion-share of the carries) had their runs stuffed 24% of the time, the 29th worst mark in the NFL. And they were 31st in open field yardage which would suggest that Chris Johnson struggled in the open field and he struggled to create at the second level and was only getting what the offensive line gave him. He was 5th in the NFL in stuffs. He's not good anymore, he's JAG now and the Texans have two backs who are better (Foster and Tate).

And this is hilarious: You keep talking about Andre Johnson's injuries and keep talking about how Kenny Britt is going to be healthy this year. Kenny Britt has missed 17 games the past two years. Andre Johnson has missed 12 the past two years. Be consistent with your criticism.

And do you know the first thing about ACL injuries? You don't just come back 100%, it takes quite a bit of time to make a full recovery from an ACL injury. Most don't regain their explosiveness until year 2 if they ever get it back at all. Look at any player who tore their ACL and I highly doubt you find one who was equally as effective the first year they came back.

And who are you to say that the draft picks don't fit in their scheme? As someone who has watched Howard Mudd at work I can tell you that Brandon Brooks and Ben Jones are going to do just fine in the Texan's ZBS. It's not about finding smaller guys, its about finding good athletes who can play in space and Brandon Brooks at 6'5" and 346 pounds running a 4.9 40 with a 1.7 10 yard split and a 32" vertical jump is about athletic as they come. And Ben Jones is exactly the type of scrappy, heady player that can get to the second level who is perfect for a zone blocking scheme at guard or center. The left side of the line with Brown-Smith-Meyers is still one of the best. And the interior of that line is vastly superior to that of Titans, a weakness that even you admitted.

And that Texans defense is a powerhouse. JJ Watt, Jonathan Joseph and Brian Cushing are all top 3 at their positions and their pass rushers (Barwin, Reed, Mercilus) are better than the ones the Titans have. Top five yardage defense, top 5 rushing defense, top 5 passing defense and top 5 scoring defense. The Titans defense is worse at every level (DL, LB, DB).

And who the heck do you have rushing the passer? Kamerion Wimbley? Bah. He's so inconsistent year to year and when is the last time he played 4-3 DE? Let me answer that: not since college. Who else after him? Mr. 4 sacks in two years with a torn ACL on his record aka Derrick Morgan?

And you beat the Ravens? That must mean the Titans are going to be amazing. The Eagles have beat the Giants 7 of the past 8 times they played but you want to hear something funny? It doesn't matter; the Giants have two rings on their fingers. And funny thing is that sure, you beat the Ravens but you lost to the Steelers who lost to the Ravens. OHMAGAWD. Doesn't. Matter.

The only spot you're better than the Texans is weapons in the passing game and the Texans still have the best one in Andre Johnson. You just have more. But who tosses them the ball? Locker, Hasselbeck? Both are inferior to Schaub at this point in their careers.

Texans have a better running attack, better QB, better offensive line and a better defense at every single level. All you have is depth at WR. The Texans are better than the Titans and they will show that again this year.

ChiFan24
05-07-2012, 11:23 PM
This anti-Steelers stuff is really confusing to me. They still have one of the top 5 QB's in the league. Explosive group of receivers. Upgraded offensive line. From what I can tell, they lost an inside linebacker and maybe a running back, two relatively low impact positions. What's the problem here? And how on earth is Cincinnati better than them?

And this Titans/Texans discussion is stupid. Obviously the Texans have the edge coming off the division win, but the Titans were surprisingly good last season. I'd probably take the Texans, like most others, but you can make the argument for the Titans, depending on how you feel about some of their unknowns: Locker, CJ2K, Wright, etc. Nobody should pretend to know how any of those guys are going to play, but obviously the Titans fan is going to see things optimistically. Really not worth an 800 word retort, filled with just as much opinion and speculation, from an Eagles fan of all people.

Mufasa
05-07-2012, 11:23 PM
The Chiefs are really a team that aren't getting respect. They are a real playoff contender. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they get a wild card or even win the division.
The Chiefs would be the favorites if it wasn't for Peyton going to Denver. Both should make it, it's just a matter of who takes the division

Bixby (Thumper)
05-07-2012, 11:29 PM
This anti-Steelers stuff is really confusing to me. They still have one of the top 5 QB's in the league. Explosive group of receivers. Upgraded offensive line. From what I can tell, they lost an inside linebacker and maybe a running back, two relatively low impact positions. What's the problem here? And how on earth is Cincinnati better than them?

Their secondary and defensive line is the problem for me. Aside from old Ike Taylor, who do they have at corner? Their safeties are old and the depth behind Troy P and Clark is awful. Polamalu is getting more one dimensional by the year (same thing happened to Dawkins) and Clark is pretty bad. And they had to let go of Aaron Smith and I think their depth at DL is suspect. With the exception of OLB, that entire defense is pretty thin IMO.

Mufasa
05-08-2012, 12:11 AM
Alright, finally got around to doing mine

NFC
1. Packers
2. Saints
3. 49ers
4. Giants
5. Bears
6. Lions

The NFC North will be extremely good this year - minus the Vikings. I think the Bears will have the 2nd or 3rd best record in the conference. Unfortunately, Green Bay is still in the division, so that'll just get them a wild card. I think The Lions will just get in over Atlanta. As long as Brees signs I don't think the bounty crap affects the Saints too much. The offense is still intact and incredibly good. On defense they'll lose Vilma, but they replaced him with Lofton, so it's not a big deal. The 49ers are still a good team, but will fall a few wins short of last year. The Giants will do their usual thing and have 9-10 wins in the regular season and then play hard in January. Although in this scenario I'd say they lose in the first round.

AFC
1. Patriots
2. Texans
3. Chiefs
4. Steelers
5. Broncos
6. Bengals

The AFC is harder. The Patriots and Texans are the clear cut top 2 teams, and I think the only locks for their divisions. After looking at the schedules I did go with Kansas City over Denver. Obviously only 2 games are different, but Indianapolis and Buffalo vs New England and Houston is a huge 2 game difference. That'll win the Chiefs the division. Denver falls one win short for the top wild card. The Steelers edge out Cincinnati for the division. They were worse last year than they were their Super Bowl year, and I think that decline will continue just a bit. However, they still have Roethlisberger, and retaining Wallace was huge. I could see them falling off to a .500 team in 2013, but not quite yet. The Suggs injury eliminates Baltimore for me. Obviously they have a bunch of talented defenders, but he was the most important. Without his pass rush, and no proven OLBs I think their in for trouble. 7-9 wins for them. That leaves Cincinnati, Tennessee, and San Diego for my final spot - in that order, although it'll be very close. If Dalton and Green progress, there's no reason they shouldn't make it back to the playoffs.

Wildcard
49ers over Lions: 28-24 close game, but San Francisco edges it out.
Bears over Giants: 27-17 I think the Bears are only below Green Bay, and just as good as seeds 2-4. The Giants don't have it in them 2 years in a row. A healthy Cutler, Forte, and now Brandon Marshall will get it done with a solid defense.

Chiefs over Bengals: 31-17 A healthy Chiefs' offense will pull away from the Bengals. Too much explosion for Dalton to keep up
Broncos over Steelers: 24-21 Manning gets it done in a game that'll be closer than it should

Divisional
Packers over Bears: 24-17 As I've been saying, I think the Bears will be really good. They'll be the team that'll have the best shot to knock Green Bay out. But I think they fall just short again. After the embarrassing loss to the Giants last year, the Packers will be ready to go this time.

Saints over 49ers: 35-20: Rematch of last year's game, but this time in New Orleans. The 49ers' defense is good, but Brees has a great game in the Superdome and the Saints win easy

Broncos over Patriots: 24-21 Another Brady-Manning match up, and the game lives up to it. I think Brady takes the regular season game, but the Broncos steal the second one. Notice I said the Broncos steal the second one, not Manning steals the second one. The Broncos defense is what'll give them this, stopping Brady and the offense, while the Pats defense can't match it.

Texans over Chiefs: 31-24: The Chiefs put up a fight, but fall short. The Texans are the most balanced team in football. Top notch run game, very good passing, and elite defense. As long as their healthy they'll do damage in the playoffs.

Conference Championship
Packers over Saints: 31-21 Away from their comfy dome, the Saints have a let down. The Packers offense is just too good to stop and their defense should be much improved after the draft. They're headed to their second Super Bowl in 3 years.

Texans over Broncos: 28-24 After and extremely impressive comeback year, Manning falls just short of his second Super Bowl. Houston is the better team to begin with, and the home field advantage gets it done for them.

Super Bowl
Texans over Packers: 28-27 A healthy Texans squad can beat anyone, as shown by their Super Bowl victory. Aaron Rodgers puts up a very good fight, but in the end it's once again that balance from Houston that takes home the Championship. Arian Foster goes over 170 as he chews up the clock in the 4th quarter, to give the Texans the Lombardi Trophy in their 10th anniversary season.

mightytitan9
05-08-2012, 12:14 AM
Oh my god dude, the Titans aren't doing anything this year. The Texans are clearly superior.

Chris Johnson is mediocre now, he didn't even average 4 yards per carry last year unless you round up. He averaged 3.99 yards per carry. He was 14th in the NFL last year in yards, 9th in attempts and amongst runners who played at least 50% of their teams snaps his YPC average was 25th out of 30. He had the 46th highest success rate of any RB who had more than 100 carries. Football Outsiders and ProFootballFocus both graded him as the worst RB in the AFC South last year. The Titans as a team (where Chris Johnson had a lion-share of the carries) had their runs stuffed 24% of the time, the 29th worst mark in the NFL. And they were 31st in open field yardage which would suggest that Chris Johnson struggled in the open field and he struggled to create at the second level and was only getting what the offensive line gave him. He was 5th in the NFL in stuffs. He's not good anymore, he's JAG now and the Texans have two backs who are better (Foster and Tate).

And this is hilarious: You keep talking about Andre Johnson's injuries and keep talking about how Kenny Britt is going to be healthy this year. Kenny Britt has missed 17 games the past two years. Andre Johnson has missed 12 the past two years. Be consistent with your criticism.

And do you know the first thing about ACL injuries? You don't just come back 100%, it takes quite a bit of time to make a full recovery from an ACL injury. Most don't regain their explosiveness until year 2 if they ever get it back at all. Look at any player who tore their ACL and I highly doubt you find one who was equally as effective the first year they came back.

And who are you to say that the draft picks don't fit in their scheme? As someone who has watched Howard Mudd at work I can tell you that Brandon Brooks and Ben Jones are going to do just fine in the Texan's ZBS. It's not about finding smaller guys, its about finding good athletes who can play in space and Brandon Brooks at 6'5" and 346 pounds running a 4.9 40 with a 1.7 10 yard split and a 32" vertical jump is about athletic as they come. And Ben Jones is exactly the type of scrappy, heady player that can get to the second level who is perfect for a zone blocking scheme at guard or center. The left side of the line with Brown-Smith-Meyers is still one of the best. And the interior of that line is vastly superior to that of Titans, a weakness that even you admitted.

And that Texans defense is a powerhouse. JJ Watt, Jonathan Joseph and Brian Cushing are all top 3 at their positions and their pass rushers (Barwin, Reed, Mercilus) are better than the ones the Titans have. Top five yardage defense, top 5 rushing defense, top 5 passing defense and top 5 scoring defense. The Titans defense is worse at every level (DL, LB, DB).

And who the heck do you have rushing the passer? Kamerion Wimbley? Bah. He's so inconsistent year to year and when is the last time he played 4-3 DE? Let me answer that: not since college. Who else after him? Mr. 4 sacks in two years with a torn ACL on his record aka Derrick Morgan?

And you beat the Ravens? That must mean the Titans are going to be amazing. The Eagles have beat the Giants 7 of the past 8 times they played but you want to hear something funny? It doesn't matter; the Giants have two rings on their fingers. And funny thing is that sure, you beat the Ravens but you lost to the Steelers who lost to the Ravens. OHMAGAWD. Doesn't. Matter.

The only spot you're better than the Texans is weapons in the passing game and the Texans still have the best one in Andre Johnson. You just have more. But who tosses them the ball? Locker, Hasselbeck? Both are inferior to Schaub at this point in their careers.

Texans have a better running attack, better QB, better offensive line and a better defense at every single level. All you have is depth at WR. The Texans are better than the Titans and they will show that again this year.

wow what an extreme waste of time

Rosebud
05-08-2012, 12:39 AM
Both the Texans and Titans have good OLs, both have questions going into the season but both should be at least top 10. If CJ is 100% next season he will be much better than he was last season, especially if the OL improves. So I think the Titans running game could well be on par with Houston's. Especially if CJ regains his explosiveness. Schaub is the best QB, but Locker looked great when he stepped in and has the ability to surpass Schaub.

I really think offensively both teams could end up very similar, but the Texans have a much better defense which is why I expect them to win the Division, but the Tennessee Offense could certainly get them a wild card spot.

Rosebud
05-08-2012, 12:42 AM
Their secondary and defensive line is the problem for me. Aside from old Ike Taylor, who do they have at corner? Their safeties are old and the depth behind Troy P and Clark is awful. Polamalu is getting more one dimensional by the year (same thing happened to Dawkins) and Clark is pretty bad. And they had to let go of Aaron Smith and I think their depth at DL is suspect. With the exception of OLB, that entire defense is pretty thin IMO.

If the Bengals regress this year with a tougher schedule and the Ravens faulter, a healthy big ben, much more talented OL and all those WRs should be enough for a Division crown. IMO the North only sends one team the playoffs this year as Tennessee and Buffalo get the wild card spots next season.

Iamcanadian
05-08-2012, 06:30 AM
As I posted, Houston carries a slight edge over Tennessee but you have to give Houston the spot based on last year. Houston has an OK QB who isn't special and gets injured quite a bit, so their season could deteriorate pretty quickly if that happens. Tennessee also isn't special at QB, but I fully expect Johnson to rebound and they have a pretty decent HC. However, facing the NFC North means only one team will make it into the playoffs.

Anybody who isn't picking Pittsburgh seems strange to me. Their offense should be substantially better and their defense is still very solid IMO. Cinncy should give them a run but Baltimore without Suggs just won't be able to compete.

VAfy-ya
05-08-2012, 07:47 AM
It has been for years, whats your point?

Well that is the point. You wonder why ppl like them to win the division and that's what it comes down to. Their by far, the most talented team in that division. They had injuries last year to IMPACT players that would have caused most teams to fold. But they grinded out wins, made it to the post-season and actually won a playoff game with a 3rd string rookie QB. Why shouldn't I like them to repeat as division champs. Sure the Titans may have gotten better, but the gap between both teams is pretty significant in my eyes.

bigbluedefense
05-08-2012, 07:59 AM
Well....I think the tiebreaker is defense. Houston's defense is just better than Tennessee's.

Offensively, the Titans have just as much talent except for qb (Locker isn't proven yet). They have the better overall WR core, a good oline, and if he gives a damn, a good RB. And a slept on TE. So they have talent on offense.

But defensively, the Texans clearly have more talent.

farfromforgotten
05-08-2012, 08:04 AM
Haha, anyone not choosing the Texans in the AFC South is out of their minds. The team beat the Bengals and nearly knocked off the Ravens with TJ Yates. No team in the AFC South is even close to the Texans.

Holy delusional Titans fan. The Titans spin on that damn near gave me vertigo.

PS - Chris Johnson is nowhere near as good as he was three years ago. He actually kind of sucks now.

I am out of my mind, but I am a delusional 49ers fan. I think I was the 1st one to pick that the Titans would win the AFC South. I'm surprised that some others think the same. I stated that I believe the Texans have the superior talent, but that doesn't always matter. The matter of the fact is that there are surprises every year. Whether you like it or not, there just are. If you go through picking all "chalk" (in a sense) then you are going to be wrong. Plain and simple.

I don't know but I'm guessing you are a Texans fan, seeing as you are so offended. Get over it. Several posters have my 49ers missing out on the playoffs this year. I don't believe it, but it does no good to piss and moan and attack others for it.

PS - Chris Johnson will out preform Arian Foster in their head to head meetings this year. There is another "prediction" to get you all worked up. :freakout:

Bixby (Thumper)
05-08-2012, 08:13 AM
PS - Chris Johnson will out preform Arian Foster in their head to head meetings this year. There is another "prediction" to get you all worked up. :freakout:

I'm not the least bit worked up nor am I the least bit invested in this little argument. I'm an Eagles fan. I had no idea you guys were so opposed to anyone actually making a cohesive argument here. I suppose I'll just stick to the whole "I pick dis team and dat one" routine from here on out since actual discussion seems to ruffle feathers. Sorry. :neutral:

farfromforgotten
05-08-2012, 08:37 AM
I'm not the least bit worked up nor am I the least bit invested in this little argument. I'm an Eagles fan. I had no idea you guys were so opposed to anyone actually making a cohesive argument here. I suppose I'll just stick to the whole "I pick dis team and dat one" routine from here on out since actual discussion seems to ruffle feathers. Sorry. :neutral:

Sorry for assuming you were a Texans fan. And I did respond after only reading your post inwhich you called people "out of their minds" and "delusional" (which seems to be how people engage in "discussions" with each other anymore), I didn't see your follow up post which was much longer and actually made some good points. So, I jumped the gun a little there. :beers:

mightytitan9
05-08-2012, 12:06 PM
Well that is the point. You wonder why ppl like them to win the division and that's what it comes down to. Their by far, the most talented team in that division. They had injuries last year to IMPACT players that would have caused most teams to fold. But they grinded out wins, made it to the post-season and actually won a playoff game with a 3rd string rookie QB. Why shouldn't I like them to repeat as division champs. Sure the Titans may have gotten better, but the gap between both teams is pretty significant in my eyes.

I don't wonder why people chose them at all, I'm just saying I think the Titans have just as good of a chance. Deal with it.

If you recall correctly, I didn't start this as "why would someone pick the Texans to win the division", someone asked me and I presented my points and opinions.

I don't really care if you pick the Texans, Titans, Jags or even Colts. It's your opinion, back it up with why you chose that and that's all you can do except wait until next winter and see if you were right

gpngc
05-09-2012, 01:40 AM
Very early, subject to change:
01. Patriots
02. Texans
03. Chargers
04. Ravens
05. Jets
06. Colts

NFC
01. Falcons
02. 49ers
03. Bears
04. Eagles
05. Cowboys
06. Packers

OVERVALUED
Chiefs
Steelers
Bengals
Buccaneers
Giants
Titans
Broncos
Seahawks

UNDERVALUED
Jets
Falcons
Chargers
Raiders
Colts
Browns
Cardinals
Bills
Dolphins

mightytitan9
05-09-2012, 10:25 AM
01. Patriots
02. Texans
03. Chargers
04. Ravens
05. Jets
06. Colts

NFC
01. Falcons
02. 49ers
03. Bears
04. Eagles
05. Cowboys
06. Packers

OVERVALUED
Chiefs
Steelers
Bengals
Buccaneers
Giants
Titans
Broncos
Seahawks

UNDERVALUED
Jets
Falcons
Chargers
Raiders
Colts
Browns
Cardinals
Bills
Dolphins

woah, seriously? Colts a playoff team?

Bobo
05-09-2012, 02:21 PM
woah, seriously? Colts a playoff team?

Sure, and the Titans are over-valued. He gave the Titans draft a D last year (post draft), so I'm just gonna say he doesn't have his finger on the pulse of this team very well.

But the safe prediction for the AFC South is the Texans. It should be by now, how many years have they been trying to work out of the basement of this division? They are due, but people should not be shocked if the Titans win the division this year.

mightytitan9
05-09-2012, 02:42 PM
I'm fine with the Texans, but I can't imagine a world where the Colts are gonna be a playoff team

Complex
05-09-2012, 02:49 PM
01. Patriots
02. Texans
03. Chargers
04. Ravens
05. Jets
06. Colts

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m341efzah11rs88hwo2_400.jpg

Ness
05-09-2012, 02:56 PM
Not sure about records, but here are my division winners and wild card spots for the AFC and NFC.

AFC North: Baltimore Ravens
AFC South: Houston Texans
AFC West: San Diego Chargers
AFC East: New England Patriots
WC: Denver Broncos
WC: Pittsburgh Steelers

NFC North: Green Bay Packers
NFC South: Atlanta Falcons
NFC West: San Francisco 49ers
NFC East: New York Giants
WC: Chicago Bears
WC: Carolina Panthers

mightytitan9
05-09-2012, 03:03 PM
I think the AFC West may be the most entertaining division this year, I could honestly see any of them teams from that division winning it

Pat Sims 90
05-09-2012, 03:13 PM
AFC North: Pittsburgh Steelers
AFC South: Houston Texans
AFC West: Denver Broncos
AFC East: New England Patriots
WC: Kansas City Chiefs
WC: Buffalo Bills

NFC North: Green Bay Packers
NFC South: Carolina Panthers
NFC West: San Francisco 49ers
NFC East: Dallas Cowboys
WC: New York Giants
WC: Chicago Bears

gpngc
05-09-2012, 04:03 PM
I think the AFC West may be the most entertaining division this year, I could honestly see any of them teams from that division winning it

Agreed. And there is A LOT at stake for a bunch of individuals. Mainly Norv Turner, Carson Palmer, and Matt Cassel. Adding Peyton Manning to that mix makes it way tougher than it should have been (Broncos would have been an easy fall-out team had they retained the same QB situation).

49ersfan_87
05-09-2012, 11:37 PM
01. Patriots
02. Texans
03. Chargers
04. Ravens
05. Jets
06. Colts

NFC
01. Falcons
02. 49ers
03. Bears
04. Eagles
05. Cowboys
06. Packers

OVERVALUED
Chiefs
Steelers
Bengals
Buccaneers
Giants
Titans
Broncos
Seahawks

UNDERVALUED
Jets
Falcons
Chargers
Raiders
Colts
Browns
Cardinals
Bills
Dolphins

Why so high on the Falcons? I can certainly understand you taking the Saints off because of their coaching issues. I actually kind of think TB can sneak out of nowhere and win the division. I expect them to copy the 2011 49ers formula- play good defense and special teams, with the offense's main job to protect the football.

gpngc
05-09-2012, 11:52 PM
Why so high on the Falcons? I can certainly understand you taking the Saints off because of their coaching issues. I actually kind of think TB can sneak out of nowhere and win the division. I expect them to copy the 2011 49ers formula- play good defense and special teams, with the offense's main job to protect the football.

I see five or six tough games on Atlanta's schedule. Their road slate is fairly tame. I think Matt Ryan will take his game to the next level and the defense will just play better (Tatupu might help). They have continuity in a division that has a lot of change among the other teams. They know how to beat the Saints, can easily handle the Bucs, and have a whole offseason to figure out Cam Newton and shred a bad Carolina defense. They'll go 4-2 at worst in the division. Only other tough games are @SD, @PHI, vsNYG and @DET. And they could easily go 3-1 in those contests. I see 11 or 12 wins.

As for the Bucs, they don't have anywhere near the talent of the 49ers. Their defense was atrocious last year and adds a hopefully healthy Gerald McCoy, a safety, and a run-around LB in David. I don't see them improving THAT much and they definitely won't compare to SF which has arguably the best D in the entire league.